Author Topic: What can you do now to make your post-FIRE life cheaper?  (Read 10382 times)

elaine amj

• Walrus Stache
Re: What can you do now to make your post-FIRE life cheaper?
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2021, 09:03:59 PM »
Ouch. When that guy did something, he certainly did it thoroughly.

Sent from my VCE-AL00 using Tapatalk

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #101 on: August 10, 2021, 04:12:28 AM »
Buy an electric vehicle?

How about buy an electric bike and get rid of your car.

How about get rid of your house and move into your electric car? Find free charging stations, park by free wifi, etc

That’s basically the RV/van lifestyle, and it can be a phenomenal way of living cheaper if you are the sort that can live with only a couple hundred (or less!) square feet of living space.  Plenty of inspirational stories out there if you care to look.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: August 10, 2021, 07:39:19 PM »
Work on your health - both mental and physical …

If u know u are going to live in your current house post retirement, plant a variety of fruit trees .. it takes a while to produce and you’d have reduced your food costs .. look at perennial vegetables as well

Pick up a cheaper hobby ..

Put money in a HSA account ..

You seems knowledgable, do you have a list?

I have mint, lemonbalm, sorrel, horseradish, asparagus. I count garlic here as I alway have some left in ground, self seed too if I don't get the scapes.

What do you have going?

Sorry I am just a permaculture enthusiast with not much space right now but can suggest a few books - Eric Toensmeier, Martin Crawford, Christopher Selby etc

I also recommend Jerusalem artichoke, chives, good king Henry, Rhubarb, crab apples (I cook  them before they are ripe), etc .. fruit trees are the best (plant comfrey (bocking variety) with it) .. Jerusalem artichoke apparently tastes great roasted (from a friend who grows it in her yard, only problem is this will spread widely)

On the perennial front, I only have mint, comfrey right now.. comfrey makes good tea and salves as well .. I want to plant Rhubarb, Asian pear, plums and maybe a crabapple tree next ..

Add me to the perennial club. I'd add miner's lettuce and sorrels. Those with some good king henry or mountain spinach and you'll never go back to getting lettuce from the grocery store. We should probably take ourselves over to the permaculture thread :)

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2021, 10:36:52 AM »

If u know u are going to live in your current house post retirement, plant a variety of fruit trees .. it takes a while to produce and you’d have reduced your food costs .. look at perennial vegetables as well

I have mint, lemonbalm, sorrel, horseradish, asparagus. I count garlic here as I alway have some left in ground, self seed too if I don't get the scapes.

What do you have going?

Sorry I am just a permaculture enthusiast with not much space right now but can suggest a few books - Eric Toensmeier, Martin Crawford, Christopher Selby etc

I also recommend Jerusalem artichoke, chives, good king Henry, Rhubarb, crab apples (I cook  them before they are ripe), etc .. fruit trees are the best (plant comfrey (bocking variety) with it) .. Jerusalem artichoke apparently tastes great roasted (from a friend who grows it in her yard, only problem is this will spread widely)

On the perennial front, I only have mint, comfrey right now.. comfrey makes good tea and salves as well .. I want to plant Rhubarb, Asian pear, plums and maybe a crabapple tree next ..

Add me to the perennial club. I'd add miner's lettuce and sorrels. Those with some good king henry or mountain spinach and you'll never go back to getting lettuce from the grocery store. We should probably take ourselves over to the permaculture thread :)

will investigate your picks - I think I have some old claytonia seeds - it's perrenial?? idk!

Where is permaculture thread?

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2021, 12:40:34 PM »
It's interesting to think of front-loading some of your costs now to avoid needing to spend money on them later in early retirement. That's kind of how capital works, so I understand why people want to buy tools beforehand, or solar panels. But sometimes tools are lost or stolen, and sometimes solar panels get smashed by hail. While these events are relatively rare, I think the ERE approach is more sustainable and rewarding, i.e., learning how to perform maintenance to your house if you own a house, or learning how to work on your car if you own a car. Skills that help you save at multiple positions in life are pretty useful, so I guess you could front-load certain types of learning, especially if they require paid training in order to master or become competent in, but really only if you expect those skills to have a high ROI in general.

EDIT:
Learning how to grow your own food might fall in this category. If you learn while you have the money, it has a much smaller impact on your post-FI budget if your plants die early and you learn from the experience, just as an example. Get good at growing plants now, it will be useful whether you are employed or not.

I guess one thing you have to consider, though, for people retiring - is that physically you won't always be able to do these maintenance things.  We do a lot of our own home maintenance, and we have friends who have replaced their own roofing, for example.

However, at SOME point, it's really not going to be practical or possible to climb onto a ladder to trim your own trees, or crawl under a car to change your own oil.  There's a reason why most of the 70+ year olds I know have newer cars, for example.

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2021, 01:06:49 PM »

What do you have going?

will investigate your picks - I think I have some old claytonia seeds - it's perrenial?? idk!

Where is permaculture thread?
I guess technically they're only perennial in some areas. Mine grow back every year from self seeding with no effort.
"Claytonia is a perennial in zones 6 to 9, growing right on through the winter. For cold climates, it readily re-seeds with a high germination rate."
https://practicalselfreliance.com/miners-lettuce/#:~:text=Claytonia%20is%20a%20perennial%20in,same%20spot%20year%20after%20year.

Here's a perennial thread :)
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/gardening-diy/any-permaculture-enthusiasts/

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2021, 01:17:44 PM »
It's interesting to think of front-loading some of your costs now to avoid needing to spend money on them later in early retirement. That's kind of how capital works, so I understand why people want to buy tools beforehand, or solar panels. But sometimes tools are lost or stolen, and sometimes solar panels get smashed by hail. While these events are relatively rare, I think the ERE approach is more sustainable and rewarding, i.e., learning how to perform maintenance to your house if you own a house, or learning how to work on your car if you own a car. Skills that help you save at multiple positions in life are pretty useful, so I guess you could front-load certain types of learning, especially if they require paid training in order to master or become competent in, but really only if you expect those skills to have a high ROI in general.

EDIT:
Learning how to grow your own food might fall in this category. If you learn while you have the money, it has a much smaller impact on your post-FI budget if your plants die early and you learn from the experience, just as an example. Get good at growing plants now, it will be useful whether you are employed or not.

I guess one thing you have to consider, though, for people retiring - is that physically you won't always be able to do these maintenance things.  We do a lot of our own home maintenance, and we have friends who have replaced their own roofing, for example.

However, at SOME point, it's really not going to be practical or possible to climb onto a ladder to trim your own trees, or crawl under a car to change your own oil.  There's a reason why most of the 70+ year olds I know have newer cars, for example.

Yes, but if you retire early, it can be decades of doing these things yourself. And the sooner you retire, the more likely you are to maintain the kind of health that allows you to keep doing these things well past 70.

70 isn't very old if you have lived a very healthy lifestyle and are lucky on the health front. I had many, many patients over 70 who were more athletic and physically spry and capable than my typical 40 year old patient.

So the fact that people will eventually get infirm isn't an argument against learning these skills. If anything, it's an argument for them, because they're tasks that can help keep people active.

I'm disabled and I'm keeping myself physically active currently by doing DIY home projects.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2021, 01:24:04 PM »

Back to the actual topic of the thread, I have additional suggestions beyond investing in your health:

-Develop cheap/free hobbies and volunteer activities
-Better yet, develop hobbies and volunteer activities that can get you access to otherwise expensive things, like concert or theater tickets
-Learn DIY skills, not just for your own benefit, like home renos, but that could benefit others and be utilized in your hobbies or volunteer activities

Basically, the more skills and talents you have to offer, the richer a network you can be part of and get access to all sorts of activities and events that would otherwise be very expensive to be part of. For example, becoming a volunteer youth golf instructor can get you free access to golf courses at some locations. Becoming a volunteer set painter can get you access to theater shows. There are countless ways to be useful, which then result in free or cheap access to luxuries. Almost every major organization has some kind of volunteer or community outreach component.

^this. You know what is really priceless? Relationships.  Worth more than any expensive exercise equipment or fancy ass camping gear.

Spend your time investing in people, and your retirement will be long and rich and worthwhile.

I agree with you that good relationships are priceless.  However, I'm struggling to find the ones that are worth investing in.  People are busy and it seems like they don't follow through a lot of times.  For example, when talking to someone they will sound interested in doing an activity together but it never ends up happening even if I reach out to them first.  I have plenty of free time that I would like to invest in a good community or individual people but I haven't found an ideal solution for this.  I do some volunteering, some social activities and even tried dating apps but it just seems really hard to make connections with people as a 30yo single adult.  Can you give any practical examples of how you invest in people?

Forging bonds is a learnable skill, it's no different than when you were younger, you just aren't constantly in situations that are conducive to forming bonds.

People in their 30s are just as eager to connect as they were in their teens and 20s, they just also lack knowledge of the *learnable* skill, so you have to learn it yourself and then kind of compensate for them.

I'm a downright off-putting person on first impression a lot of the time, and I have zero problem making friends because I've figured out how to do it.

The basic equation is this:
-Do something difficult with someone else, take a genuine interest in them, and be willing to express vulnerability along the way

You will be far more effective at making deep bonds with someone by helping them move than by going out to a bunch of dinners together.

Forging bonds can make FIRE less expensive, but keep in mind the risks that come with that:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/510

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2021, 01:39:23 PM »

Back to the actual topic of the thread, I have additional suggestions beyond investing in your health:

-Better yet, develop hobbies and volunteer activities that can get you access to otherwise expensive things, like concert or theater tickets
-Learn DIY skills, not just for your own benefit, like home renos, but that could benefit others and be utilized in your hobbies or volunteer activities

Basically, the more skills and talents you have to offer, the richer a network you can be part of and get access to all sorts of activities and events that would otherwise be very expensive to be part of. For example, becoming a volunteer youth golf instructor can get you free access to golf courses at some locations. Becoming a volunteer set painter can get you access to theater shows. There are countless ways to be useful, which then result in free or cheap access to luxuries. Almost every major organization has some kind of volunteer or community outreach component.

^this. You know what is really priceless? Relationships.  Worth more than any expensive exercise equipment or fancy ass camping gear.

Spend your time investing in people, and your retirement will be long and rich and worthwhile.

I agree with you that good relationships are priceless.  However, I'm struggling to find the ones that are worth investing in.  People are busy and it seems like they don't follow through a lot of times.  For example, when talking to someone they will sound interested in doing an activity together but it never ends up happening even if I reach out to them first.  I have plenty of free time that I would like to invest in a good community or individual people but I haven't found an ideal solution for this.  I do some volunteering, some social activities and even tried dating apps but it just seems really hard to make connections with people as a 30yo single adult.  Can you give any practical examples of how you invest in people?

Forging bonds is a learnable skill, it's no different than when you were younger, you just aren't constantly in situations that are conducive to forming bonds.

People in their 30s are just as eager to connect as they were in their teens and 20s, they just also lack knowledge of the *learnable* skill, so you have to learn it yourself and then kind of compensate for them.

I'm a downright off-putting person on first impression a lot of the time, and I have zero problem making friends because I've figured out how to do it.

-Do something difficult with someone else, take a genuine interest in them, and be willing to express vulnerability along the way

You will be far more effective at making deep bonds with someone by helping them move than by going out to a bunch of dinners together.

Forging bonds can make FIRE less expensive, but keep in mind the risks that come with that:

Gobsmacked to realize that this reply was not from @DadJokes

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2021, 02:08:38 PM »

this was just.....hilarious.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #110 on: August 12, 2021, 05:22:54 AM »

Gobsmacked to realize that this reply was not from @DadJokes

I suppose that I need to relinquish my username, as there is another more worthy.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 12, 2021, 05:58:57 AM »
That’s the best thing about dad jokes, they are a renewable resource. It’s a little like Spartacus, we are all Dadjokes.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #112 on: August 12, 2021, 06:14:19 AM »
Good cooking and DIY skills will get you far.

I'm hoping to reduce expenses in this area post retirement.  I want to increase percentage of home cooked meals significantly which will reduce spend on costly takeout.  Also, plan to spend a bit more time planning grocery spend although I don't intend to become a coupon clipper.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #113 on: August 12, 2021, 06:41:29 AM »

I'm hoping to reduce expenses in this area post retirement.  I want to increase percentage of home cooked meals significantly which will reduce spend on costly takeout.  Also, plan to spend a bit more time planning grocery spend although I don't intend to become a coupon clipper.

I've never used coupons or gone out of my way to shop sales. The most effective way to keep grocery costs down is to learn to cook with universally inexpensive ingredients.

Then it takes virtually no effort to keep costs down. I can meal plan for the week and generate a low-cost shopping list in under 5 minutes.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #114 on: August 12, 2021, 08:00:46 AM »

I've never used coupons or gone out of my way to shop sales. The most effective way to keep grocery costs down is to learn to cook with universally inexpensive ingredients.

Then it takes virtually no effort to keep costs down. I can meal plan for the week and generate a low-cost shopping list in under 5 minutes.

Would you mind sharing an example of a recent weekly plan?  Do you like to have a lot of variety in your menus or are you more into a routine on rotating through the same set of foods?  We tend to get bored and look for new flavors and dishes but we don't cook much hence the opportunity on the takeout reduction in retirement.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2021, 09:20:17 AM »
Would you mind sharing an example of a recent weekly plan?  Do you like to have a lot of variety in your menus or are you more into a routine on rotating through the same set of foods?  We tend to get bored and look for new flavors and dishes but we don't cook much hence the opportunity on the takeout reduction in retirement.

Not the person you asked, but I do something similar, albeit even simpler - I don't use a list, or even really meal plan much, unless there's some specific dish I really want. I just buy the normal volume of whatever looks good that week, and cook/bake until I have 20 portions + snacks. This week's meals were/are (all vegan): Sausage pot pie, lemongrass stir fry, tofu stir fry, spaghetti and meatballs, thin crust pizza. I also roasted up a bunch of vegetables for snacks, and made a pan of blondies.

For variety, it's all over the place because the store I has drastically different items for sale every week. There's no point even doing a list or whatever because there's no way to know what they'll have any given week. I'm fine with that because they're very cheap. We are inclined towards stir frys, though I make a lot of different ones, and I normally do one pastry dish a week (pot pie, pasties, empanadas, or some sort of sweet pie/tarts). Other than that, it's all over the place.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2021, 09:22:22 AM »

Not the person you asked, but I do something similar, albeit even simpler - I don't use a list, or even really meal plan much, unless there's some specific dish I really want. I just buy the normal volume of whatever looks good that week, and cook/bake until I have 20 portions + snacks. This week's meals were/are (all vegan): Sausage pot pie, lemongrass stir fry, tofu stir fry, spaghetti and meatballs, thin crust pizza. I also roasted up a bunch of vegetables for snacks, and made a pan of blondies.

For variety, it's all over the place because the store I has drastically different items for sale every week. There's no point even doing a list or whatever because there's no way to know what they'll have any given week. I'm fine with that because they're very cheap. We are inclined towards stir frys, though I make a lot of different ones, and I normally do one pastry dish a week (pot pie, pasties, empanadas, or some sort of sweet pie/tarts). Other than that, it's all over the place.

Do you have a spare bedroom perhaps?  I always pay rent on time lol.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2021, 09:39:17 AM »

Do you have a spare bedroom perhaps?  I always pay rent on time lol.

LOL I was just telling my boyfriend the other day we could use a third person around solely to eat sometimes - his parents had just given us a massive bag of bananas they had that was about to go bad and I made, I think, six pans of banana bread. Luckily it freezes well. But alas, we had a studio apartment.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2021, 10:06:13 AM »

I cycle through over 150 recipes, so I'll bulk cook and eat one recipe a few time in one week, but won't have it again for nearly a year.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2021, 10:11:28 AM »

I cycle through over 150 recipes, so I'll bulk cook and eat one recipe a few time in one week, but won't have it again for nearly a year.

That sounds like a good way to operate!  Thanks for the feedback.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #120 on: August 12, 2021, 12:29:14 PM »

I use the Paprika app, select a few recipes for the week based on the cross references ingredients, and then the program generates a shipping list for me.

The key is knowing what kind of recipes are cheap to make, so an African curry where the bulk of the dish is kidney beans, canned tomatoes, and rice, is going to cost well under $1/serving.

friedmmj

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: August 12, 2021, 01:45:05 PM »

I use the Paprika app, select a few recipes for the week based on the cross references ingredients, and then the program generates a shipping list for me.

The key is knowing what kind of recipes are cheap to make, so an African curry where the bulk of the dish is kidney beans, canned tomatoes, and rice, is going to cost well under $1/serving.

Interesting.  I will check it out.  I assume the shipping list does not factor in the inventory that you already have in your pantry right?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #122 on: August 12, 2021, 01:50:57 PM »

Interesting.  I will check it out.  I assume the shipping list does not factor in the inventory that you already have in your pantry right?

Like, an app that tracks your pantry inventory? I'm not sure how that would even work.

It takes me no time to check quickly what I don't need from the list. That's part of the 5 minutes. Once you get used to doing it, it's also a lot easier to track what you have and what you need.

Calvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: August 13, 2021, 08:36:33 AM »
I recently had an insulation job done at my house. They packed the attic floor with insulation, did air sealing and foam insulated the rim joist.

So far it seems like it's decreased my A/C use by about half! I'm looking forward to seeing the effects on my heating bills this winter since I live in Western NY.

I also second Solar. My roof was angled right for it. About 10% ROI and it covers a bit over 100% of my electricity use. It'll be helpful for when I switch to an electric vehicle in the next 5-ish years.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: August 13, 2021, 08:47:14 AM »
In case the argument for solar needs any nudging (data).

We recently added 8kW of tesla installed solar panels (now 12kW total), in sunny San Diego (1 EV home, 2nd planned for 2023 [cybertruckkkkkk])
SDGE has some of the worst rates in the country (0.59c/kW at peak, 0.30c/kW off-peak, 0.9c/kw super-off-peak (midnight-6am)).

In June, we used 195 hours of A/C, and owed $314
In July, we used 352 hours of A/C, and owed -$169.
(its hot and we value our sleep...)

A $484 swing, even more if you account for the increased usage.

This also highlights the benefits of a home battery (powerwall) to 'peak shave'.  We now completely avoid any and all grid usage from 4-9pm (at peak rate).
https://imgur.com/a/krXsbmi

Any negative balance can be retained for credits in the winter OR (perhaps a benefit unique to SDGE) can be applied at full value to any natural gas bills.

I estimate our solar/battery installation will completely zero out our electric/gas bills.

Cost to install:

34k total price
-9k tax credit
----
25k NET

ROI, 4-6 years - value added to home - value of having a whole home backup - value of going green
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:32:14 AM by bryan995 »

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #125 on: August 13, 2021, 09:20:13 AM »

We recently added 8kW of tesla installed solar panels (12kW total), in sunny San Diego (1 EV home, 2nd planned for 2023 [cybertruckkkkkk])
SDGE has some of the worst rates in the country (0.59c/kW at peak, 0.30c/kW off-peak, 0.9c/kw super-off-peak (midnight-6am)).

This also highlights the benefits of a home battery (powerwall) to 'peak shave'.  We now completely avoid any and all grid usage from 4-9pm (at peak rate).

Any negative balance can be retained for credits in the winter OR (perhaps a benefit unique to SDGE) can be applied at full value to any natural gas bills.

I estimate our solar/battery installation will completely zero out our electric/gas bills.

Cost to install:

34k total price
-9k tax credit
----
25k NET

ROI, 4-6 years - value added to home - value of having a whole home backup - value of going green

I have been looking at solar for a long time.  I think it depends on three factors:  (1) Cost of electricity where you are, (2) Tax credits / rebates where you are (federal and state), and (3) amount of solar energy where you are.  In San Diego the factors are all positive.  In Boise, where I live, the factors are neutral / mediocre.  I have not pulled the trigger yet but may do so soon; the continually lowering costs of the panels is making the ROI more and more compelling as time goes by.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: August 13, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »
I don't know the current rates, but my understanding is that Boise has some of the lowest cost electricity in the nation, and it's mainly hydro. So the factors aren't nearly as amiable to solar.

bryan995

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: August 13, 2021, 09:28:41 AM »

We recently added 8kW of tesla installed solar panels (12kW total), in sunny San Diego (1 EV home, 2nd planned for 2023 [cybertruckkkkkk])

Cost to install:

34k total price
-9k tax credit
----
25k NET

I have been looking at solar for a long time.  I think it depends on three factors:  (1) Cost of electricity where you are, (2) Tax credits / rebates where you are (federal and state), and (3) amount of solar energy where you are.  In San Diego the factors are all positive.  In Boise, where I live, the factors are neutral / mediocre.  I have not pulled the trigger yet but may do so soon; the continually lowering costs of the panels is making the ROI more and more compelling as time goes by.

Exactly. And it is likely ranked (1), (3), (2).
SoCal may be as good as it gets for solar.
Perhaps a pro to living in this particular HCOl? hah

Average day of production / usage
https://imgur.com/a/01W3WQq
« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 09:34:49 AM by bryan995 »

HSBW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #128 on: August 13, 2021, 09:44:50 AM »
I recently had an insulation job done at my house. They packed the attic floor with insulation, did air sealing and foam insulated the rim joist.

So far it seems like it's decreased my A/C use by about half! I'm looking forward to seeing the effects on my heating bills this winter since I live in Western NY.

I also second Solar. My roof was angled right for it. About 10% ROI and it covers a bit over 100% of my electricity use. It'll be helpful for when I switch to an electric vehicle in the next 5-ish years.

Hi Calvin, if you don't mind sharing, how much did this insulation job cost? I'm in WNY as well and would like to increase the insulation in the house. I think I've got some fiberglass batt insulation above the 2nd floor ceiling (R-39?) and some fiberglass batts crudely stuffed in between beams running along the rim joist (work done by previous owners).

Calvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: August 13, 2021, 02:06:08 PM »
If charity is one of your post-FIRE line items, then start a Donor Advised Fund (DAF) now, and contribute shares.  This gets you the tax-deductions now, when your tax-bracket is (presumably) higher.  The net value of the fund can continue to be invested and grow over time, while you mete out donations over years. 

Significant contributions to my Vanguard Charitable DAF is definitely high on my priority list while I'm still making good money.

Calvin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: August 13, 2021, 02:45:47 PM »
Hi Calvin, if you don't mind sharing, how much did this insulation job cost? I'm in WNY as well and would like to increase the insulation in the house. I think I've got some fiberglass batt insulation above the 2nd floor ceiling (R-39?) and some fiberglass batts crudely stuffed in between beams running along the rim joist (work done by previous owners).

For that work (rim joist, air sealing, insulation packed attic floor), it cost $2,300 after a $1000 NYS energy credit. Between the energy savings and the house being so much more comfortable, I'm already glad I did it!

This is the company I used: buffalo-energy.com (Rochester and Buffalo area). NY has a program that will pay for a free whole-house energy audit and there are some pretty generous energy credits especially if you have a few people living in the house. Message me if you want more info.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2021, 07:05:50 PM »

Like, an app that tracks your pantry inventory? I'm not sure how that would even work.

It takes me no time to check quickly what I don't need from the list. That's part of the 5 minutes. Once you get used to doing it, it's also a lot easier to track what you have and what you need.
@Malcat you turned me onto Paprika and...it actually does track your pantry inventory, if you want it to.  I mean, you have to maintain it yourself (you can't type in that you made black bean soup and have it automatically erase a pound of dried beans from your pantry).

I tried for about 2 weeks, and it was too much of a pain.  I have to say, I have not managed your level of efficiency in using Paprika.  I do use it a LOT - most of my meals come from whatever we get in our CSA boxes each week, so it's great for looking up recipes for, say, eggplant or sweet potatoes or beets when you are tired of the same old same old.

We eat a lot of salad, kale chips, and zoodles this time of year.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2021, 07:19:11 PM »

@Malcat you turned me onto Paprika and...it actually does track your pantry inventory, if you want it to.  I mean, you have to maintain it yourself (you can't type in that you made black bean soup and have it automatically erase a pound of dried beans from your pantry).

I tried for about 2 weeks, and it was too much of a pain.  I have to say, I have not managed your level of efficiency in using Paprika.  I do use it a LOT - most of my meals come from whatever we get in our CSA boxes each week, so it's great for looking up recipes for, say, eggplant or sweet potatoes or beets when you are tired of the same old same old.

We eat a lot of salad, kale chips, and zoodles this time of year.

I was using an old version. I didn't know about the inventory option, and there's no way I would bother manually updating that.

Using it really efficiently does take a bit of upfront investment in terms of categorizing the recipes.
I have them categorized by type: curry, soup, noodles, casserole, salad, sauce, etc. And I have the categorized in terms of ingredients that come in volumes that don't work for one recipe. So if I want to do a recipe with feta, I'll do another recipe either the same week or the next that calls for feta because I'll buy a big tub at costco. Same with cabbage, or cauliflower, etc, where a recipe almost always calls for a half of one.

So I have to manually categorize each recipe when I upload it to make the app the most useful, but that's like a minute of extra work for each recipe, and it makes planning incredibly easy.

So I'll think that this week I want to make a soup, a curry, a potato dish, and a salad. There's a potato kale dish I like that requires feta, so I'll look for a salad that also uses feta. I know the potato dish also calls for fresh oregano, so I'll grab a soup recipe that I know also needs it. The salad uses cilantro, and a bunch is probably too much, so I'll make sure to grab a curry recipe that needs cilantro.
And like that I have a bulk cooking meal plan and a zero waste shopping list.

Because I've put in the work to set it up, I barely have to think about anything.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2021, 09:23:59 PM »
There's not much mention here of the biggest thing a person can do to make post-FIRE life cheaper:

Move from a HCOL area to a LCOL area.

There are zero things you can do that will have an effect like this decision, unless you need to go for drug rehab or something. Regarding relationships - few people in a HCOL area have the time because they're all hustling, driving long commutes, and focused on making money to pay mid-four-figure rents. Move to a small town and you might note people operate at a less desperate pace.

The next biggest thing is arguably bigger, but I'm putting it in 2nd place because it may not apply to everyone:

Get in shape.

If this step postpones your first cardiac event or cancer by 5 years, your FIRE experience will have been much more successful. Of course, some people can skip this step and be just fine financially, but the odds are against them in the long term.

Regarding pre-spending on car/home equipment, it may depend on whether you've been neglecting things while working very hard during your accumulation phase. That is, if you haven't had time to update your flooring or change your car's oil or get prices for new windows because you've been working 60 hour weeks for years, then yes you might FIRE but you have some off-balance-sheet liabilities that need to be accounted for.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2021, 09:55:10 PM »
I was using an old version. I didn't know about the inventory option, and there's no way I would bother manually updating that.

Using it really efficiently does take a bit of upfront investment in terms of categorizing the recipes.
I have them categorized by type: curry, soup, noodles, casserole, salad, sauce, etc. And I have the categorized in terms of ingredients that come in volumes that don't work for one recipe. So if I want to do a recipe with feta, I'll do another recipe either the same week or the next that calls for feta because I'll buy a big tub at costco. Same with cabbage, or cauliflower, etc, where a recipe almost always calls for a half of one.

So I have to manually categorize each recipe when I upload it to make the app the most useful, but that's like a minute of extra work for each recipe, and it makes planning incredibly easy.

So I'll think that this week I want to make a soup, a curry, a potato dish, and a salad. There's a potato kale dish I like that requires feta, so I'll look for a salad that also uses feta. I know the potato dish also calls for fresh oregano, so I'll grab a soup recipe that I know also needs it. The salad uses cilantro, and a bunch is probably too much, so I'll make sure to grab a curry recipe that needs cilantro.

Because I've put in the work to set it up, I barely have to think about anything.

Out of curiosity, what do you do if the store doesn't have something on the list? It seems like that could screw up the whole week's plan.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2021, 10:17:36 PM »

Out of curiosity, what do you do if the store doesn't have something on the list? It seems like that could screw up the whole week's plan.

It's never been an issue, I just go to another store.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2021, 01:24:19 PM »
Just saying “thanks for the recommendation of Paprika @Malcat

HSBW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2021, 09:38:51 AM »

For that work (rim joist, air sealing, insulation packed attic floor), it cost $2,300 after a $1000 NYS energy credit. Between the energy savings and the house being so much more comfortable, I'm already glad I did it!

This is the company I used: buffalo-energy.com (Rochester and Buffalo area). NY has a program that will pay for a free whole-house energy audit and there are some pretty generous energy credits especially if you have a few people living in the house. Message me if you want more info.

Seems pretty reasonable. I don’t think our house is very well insulated and we have a large temperature difference between floors this time of year. It’s annoying and I think worth attempting to correct even if there isn’t a huge dollar value return. I’d love to get heat pumps installed eventually and correcting the insulation first should allow for better “right sizing” of that equipment. I live in the operating range of that company as well. PM sent!

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2021, 11:49:13 AM »

Seems pretty reasonable. I don’t think our house is very well insulated and we have a large temperature difference between floors this time of year. It’s annoying and I think worth attempting to correct even if there isn’t a huge dollar value return. I’d love to get heat pumps installed eventually and correcting the insulation first should allow for better “right sizing” of that equipment. I live in the operating range of that company as well. PM sent!

An energy audit can be a great place to start.

There is a hierarchy to energy efficiency:
Water management
Air sealing
Insulation
HVAC/energy-generation upgrades

If water (rain/snow) can get it nothing what matters. Assuming you don’t have any leaks air sealing is the next most important, even more so than insulation. Pay attention to how you will manage vapor, as even the best walls will have some air leakage, and air carries moisture which will need to dry top somewhere.

Insulation only after sealing every air leak you can. Then heat pumps. As you said, properly sizing your heat pumps makes a huge difference, and in many homes you can cut energy usage by over 50% with good air sealing and insulation.

Anon-E-Mouze

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: August 16, 2021, 07:53:39 AM »
One of the best decisions I ever made (about 25 years ago) was to take a comprehensive basic cooking course at the local community college. It cost a few hundred dollars and took up 12 of my Saturdays (the classes were four hours long) but I learned so much about techniques and the building blocks of recipes, and I use that information all the time.

Now, you could probably learn the same things online for free, but the investment of time is really worth it.

On a related note, my sister lives in a community that runs a weekend agricultural school once a year with very focused topics on things like tomato gardening, home canning, how to make your own soap or candles, building raised garden beds, bread baking etc. There's a small cost (probably about $75 for the whole weekend) but she gathers a lot of interesting information that she puts to use and the skills she develops significantly reduce her food costs. She coordinates classes with a couple of friends and then they pool information afterward.