Author Topic: What are your soldiers (dollars) paid per hour?  (Read 102630 times)

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
Re: What are your soldiers (dollars) paid per hour?
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2014, 01:32:34 PM »
Many of these points get to what I like to call "The Rule of 300". 300 * a monthly rate gives you the stache required to support and large chunk of money / 300 gives you monthly rate. It's a great way to think about things like cell phones as someone already posted.

I think in multiples of 300 all the time. It is an easy way to put my savings/spending priorities into focus. Do I want to buy a bed for the guest room or do I want to craigslist a free one and keep $1/month every month for the REST OF MY LIFE? A new kayak, or $3/month every month for the REST OF MY LIFE? Week long international vacation or $5/month every month for the REST OF MY LIFE?

Lifestyle Deflation

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2014, 07:23:49 PM »
I think in multiples of 300 all the time. It is an easy way to put my savings/spending priorities into focus. Do I want to buy a bed for the guest room or do I want to craigslist a free one and keep $1/month every month for the REST OF MY LIFE? A new kayak, or $3/month every month for the REST OF MY LIFE? Week long international vacation or $5/month every month for the REST OF MY LIFE?
I do this too! I got a bonus this month that will net me ~$3000 after taxes. I put that in my spreadsheet as netting me $10 bucks a month for the rest of my life. I like the "additive" method, when every chunk you put into savings nets more into post-retirement income.

Say your goal is $2000/month in retirement. Every chunk you put in adds some money and gets you closer!

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »
What a second..

So I put some soldiers to work for me.. The recruit more soldiers to work for me, but I get the benefit of it not the soldiers.. These new soldieries recruit new soldiers who also work for me..

This is a pyramid scheme!!!

(on that note: I'm somewhere about where I was when I worked in the kitchen of a 7th day adventist nursing home in high school...  the work wasn't pretty, but it was something).

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »

Today, our answer is around $ 24.00 and hour

We have another 7 years or so with me working, and 4 for her.....we will add considerably to that number during that time

If you don't mind me asking: Since you're already at $24/hr, do you really think it will take another 7 and 4 years working for you and your spouse to retire? Depending on your expected expenses of course, I'd think you've already reached a "middle class" retirement amount.

Another question: What will your soldiers be making when you hit your FIRE number? Mine will be making about $45/hour so I've got a ways to go.

Similar question as above -- are you shooting for a pretty high standard of living in retirement?

In both cases, I'm not criticizing or second-guessing, I'm just curious about your goals or assumptions. I'm also at $45/hr as well, but I almost fell into that by accident saving for a typical, late age retirement before drinking the MMM kool-aid.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »
What a second..

So I put some soldiers to work for me.. The recruit more soldiers to work for me, but I get the benefit of it not the soldiers.. These new soldieries recruit new soldiers who also work for me..

This is a pyramid scheme!!!

(on that note: I'm somewhere about where I was when I worked in the kitchen of a 7th day adventist nursing home in high school...  the work wasn't pretty, but it was something).

It's an upside-down pyramid, though, because each soldier recruits a fraction of a soldier.

gdgyva

• Stubble
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2014, 11:11:55 AM »

Today, our answer is around $ 24.00 and hour

We have another 7 years or so with me working, and 4 for her.....we will add considerably to that number during that time

If you don't mind me asking: Since you're already at $24/hr, do you really think it will take another 7 and 4 years working for you and your spouse to retire? Depending on your expected expenses of course, I'd think you've already reached a "middle class" retirement amount.

Another question: What will your soldiers be making when you hit your FIRE number? Mine will be making about $45/hour so I've got a ways to go.

Similar question as above -- are you shooting for a pretty high standard of living in retirement?

In both cases, I'm not criticizing or second-guessing, I'm just curious about your goals or assumptions. I'm also at $45/hr as well, but I almost fell into that by accident saving for a typical, late age retirement before drinking the MMM kool-aid.

we are being overly cautious.....

i for one, dont believe social security will continue at it's current rates and retirement ages

we want a total income of $ 7000 month.....but neither have any pensions that will be coming

so it is our accounts, and whatever we actually get from the SSA

based on latest sheets we have, our SSA at those points will be around $ 3600-3700 mo

depending on how much they take for medicare, we figure $ 3000 net approx

so we are trying to get to $ 4000 mo from our investments

at least this is how we see things right now, and why we have planned things the way we have

Oscar_C

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »
I make minimum wage in the off season, while I'm going to school, commission based otherwise.

The upside which I felt was more important is
   -The work environment is completely stress free
   -Great mentor-ship on the owner's behalf.
   -15-20 Minute walk from my house.
   -Incredibly Supportive Co-workers, who want me to excel in my career.

After seeing people complain about their jobs, despite being paid more, even if I make less than most people my age, I'm completely happy working there.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 03:34:02 PM by Oscar_C »

NewStachian

• Stubble
    • VarsityFinances
« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »

DoubleDown,

The short answer is yes - I want to live a more rich/lavish lifestyle down the road and have more flexibility. My wife and I have completely bought into the MMM way of life for wealth accumulation, but we would rather work a little longer to FIRE with more money.

We are looking at a lot of voluntary expenses in "retirement". I put this in another post, but my wife plays polo which might be up to $1k a month (but is free for now because of the work she does for the polo group). Not only that, but I have a great job. My job is software development for a bunch of PhD's trying to solve hard problems in the cloud. It's a fun, energetic place to work; I can work whenever and wherever I want, bike to work, and work voluntary overtime for extra pay if I want. It's a 9 out of 10 on my dream job scale and I enjoy it every day. I have enough time to pursue side projects without much trouble as it is, so I don't see a reason to quit working.

I also have a higher number because I have a $700k mortgage I have no desire to pay off early. I'm less than a year in and the payments are $3,830. I could pay it off in full right now, but then I have less money working for me in the market. I feel pretty confident I can earn 3.75% + inflation in the stock market on average over time. I also like having more balanced debt to equity to protect against increased inflation. So, I want my FIRE number to be able to support this payment on top of everything else. I might pay it off in full around the 20 year point, once my compounding has fully kicked in and I'm mainly paying principal anyway, but not yet.

We also like to travel a lot.

So, basic living costs in a high cost of living area + high mortgage + expensive hobby + travel = high FIRE number.

All that being said... MMM has allowed us make all these decisions with our eyes open. We could sell our house, move to another area, and FIRE tomorrow at age 30. Knowing that we have that option is incredibly refreshing and allows us to sleep well at night. The other option is we continue what we're doing... we keep working in jobs that we enjoy and keep saving to add to our buffer and add to our ability to partake in some of the more expensive hobbies we have. We're able to put away over $100k a year right now into investments, so it's adding up very rapidly. If we have kids or life situations change we might throttle this back, but for now it's working out pretty well for us.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
My soldiers are all of doing various things.

The main battalion is leased out, locked up by some pension fund slave driver, pulling in around 8% per annum. (p.a.).I ddon't really know what they do with them, because they are on a fixed rate guarantee contract. I get the 8% always.

I have a crew out working the plantations, growing crops for around 9% p.a.

Another battalion is deployed throughout the USA and overseas working in companies and businesses, and they had a cracking year last year, racking in over 20%.

And then I have a couple of reserve battalions who are loaned out to reputable banks, companies and the US Government. They have it pretty easy, safe behind the lines, but are barely pulling in 2% right now. Little do they know they are about to be put to work rebuilding houses for hopefully more than 12% p.a. But they are ready to be deployed at a moments notice, all crisp and marching in stacks. They may not be doing much now, but they do protect the significant other at night especially,  and when they march in those tidy columns it impresses the hell out of real estate agents, so, no they aren't a total loss.

by Arebelspy's method, 4% and 1700, our little green workers are pulling in 3 minimum wage jobs worth.

I prefer to think of actual returns and 2000 hrs, so they are earning me $42 an hour. Once I get some more reserves into the trenches of real estate and rentals, I expect to get that up to over $50 an hour.

Sweet way to think about it. Plus they probably pay less tax than the minimum wage workers would.... hmmmm...

Bateaux

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2014, 05:05:06 AM »
My soldiers are hard workers making $25.88 an hour.  Their pay is rising quickly and needs to nearly double.  We are still spending way too much to live on $25.88 an hour.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #110 on: June 13, 2014, 07:47:03 PM »
Based on the 1700 hours calculation, my retirement account soldiers are making $0.87/hr (as of the end of Q1) which is up from $0.85/hr at the beginning of the year. Personally, I prefer to use 2000 hours since I'm not one for taking unpaid days off of work. Under these calculations, my soldiers earn $0.74/hr.

I expect this to improve by the end of the year as I have finally gotten a job as an accountant instead of being unemployed (but working on my Accounting BS). I'm temp-to-hire but my boss has already said that she's very happy with my work and she's just waiting for the temp contract to run out.

auntie_betty

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:54 AM »
Just read this on arebelspy's 'not diary'. What a great idea.

I've done mind differently as my 'stache is invested in property so I've done it on net rental income, after mortgages and taxes. Works out to £6.17 an hour, around $9.19 so I have around one and a quarter people working for me and giving me all their take home pay. Sweet :)

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2015, 07:26:12 AM »
Hmm! Add another $10/ hr to my income! Interesting way of looking at this.

(I divided by 2080, because that is the number of hours exempt employees get paid for each year, so the jump in my own pay seems most relevant to me.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:27:55 AM by zinnie »

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2015, 10:57:45 AM »
Apparently, using your formula and 2000 hours, I am employing one techie Bro-grammer who's getting paid $56/hour. He's getting paid more than I do at my (soon-to-be former) job.
Maybe he'll help me with my website. :-)

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
Using 1700 hours I am at $15.30/hr or 30 cents more per hour than what fast food workers are protesting to earn. Of course my workers get regular pay increases :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:36:31 AM by Davids »

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2015, 01:34:44 PM »
[snip]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:26:54 PM by dcmustachio »

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2015, 01:54:50 PM »
Using 1700 hours but a 7% avg. ROR my hard workers are making only about $3/hr for me.  Thankfully their living expenses (MER) are extremely low and they are saving everything they make.

They also have little connection to my pension, which does its own thing.  I don't really have a number for that guy and what he is up to, but he is probably bigger than my army of soldiers and grows faster (my workplace has a mandatory 8.1% contribution and a 9.5% matching contribution, which means 17.6% of my gross income every paycheck going into Mr. Pension's private army).  The latest annual report says he is doing fairly well at least (as one would hope for that kind of contribution).

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 19, 2015, 02:39:41 PM »
.35 cents an hour!  LOL.  Hey, it's .35 cents more an hour than it was 7 months ago!  Stash size = 15k, which I'm super proud of! 

Up to .90 cents an hour but it feels like im being taxed more than that now, lol.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 09:17:45 AM by OneCoolCat »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #118 on: April 19, 2015, 05:27:40 PM »
Our invested assets are earning us about $4.89 an hour, and our debts will cost us about $1.72 an hour average over this year (according to my spreadsheet, could be lower if more is paid down on them than I expect right now). 

That nets out to about $3.17 an hour earned by our investments.  We're moving up!
Almost a year later and by the same calculation we have a net $4.25 earned by investments.

Getting closer to a minimum wage employee for 1,700 hours a year!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2015, 11:50:50 AM »
My 'stache is unemployed 11 months out of the year.

lol, you and me both. :(  I'm at a whopping 82 cents an hour!

All in good time, I suppose.

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2015, 12:12:26 PM »
Another thing to think about is that $30,000 cell phone you are carrying around.

$100 a month phone contract is $1200 a year which takes a stache of $30,000 to support @4% SWR.

I have the $3,000 Republic phone.   But I do anticipate that in just a few years that cell phone rates will pretty much go the way of TV --- free with some ads and pricier for all the bells and whistles.   

I'm not sure why Republic doesn't do ads now?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2015, 02:18:22 PM »
Hehe.

Fun one.

Based on 1700 hours and 4% my little liquid army is pulling in a massive $8.38 an hour….
7 years ago various financial institution were charging me $15 an hour in interest rates. While my liquid soldiers were pulling in only $4 and hour.

Those days of paying out are pretty much gone…

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2015, 03:50:29 PM »
$0.63 an hour.

My soldiers have a lot more battles to win before they can retire comfortably.

Amasa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: July 09, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
My stash is currently earning $0.51/hr for me. And climbing quickly (on track for $0.79/hr by 2016)!

This is a fun game!

Check2400

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: October 29, 2015, 02:36:38 PM »
Replying to this to follow and bump the thread because I enjoy it and want to hear more stories about people's soldiers. 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »
Almost at minimum wage! I'll get there, and hopefully well beyond it, next year! :D

needmyfi

• Stubble
« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2015, 07:32:36 PM »
'm going to cheat a little, looks like the rental is going to net 8000 this year barring catastrophe, not totally passive since I've been over three times for repairs  (and I like to make more than my soldier)  so total  using the stash formula plus the rental I got a guy making $9.39 an hour.  Dh got a soldier laying around that should be making almost $4 an hour, but that is a whole ......other topic there..  Holy shit-on a 24/7 basis, I'm making $1.25 an hour

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #127 on: October 30, 2015, 06:55:38 AM »
About $.04/hr if I don't count my 63K in student loans *sighs* I'll get there eventually.

Koogie

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: October 30, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
"Based on 1700 hours and 4% my little liquid army"... is up to 3.84 people if you use the minimum wage in my province.

Gotta buckle down and give that last poor little sucker his 0.16 of a body.. he must be hobbling to work.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #129 on: October 30, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Fun and inspiring thread!

Based on investments only: $5.29/hour
Based on investments plus current pension: $12.11/hour
Based on total net worth: $19.34/hour

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: October 30, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »
Neat way of looking at it.
Using 1950 hrs, since that is the base number of hours I get paid a year, 4% and using my no-house/pension net worth, my soldiers are getting a quarter an hour. Which is better than the negative amount they were making 6 months ago.

steveo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #131 on: October 31, 2015, 01:27:26 AM »
I'll add my own assumption in that working hours per year are 52 weeks * 38 hours per week for a total of 1976 hours per year. I'm using that because that is what I am paid for in my job. Based on that and a 4% WR my soldiers are earning $5.78 AUD per hour. That works out like earning $219 per week which could pay about our grocery bill each week for a family of 5.

I'm actually pretty happy with that.

Money Badger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2015, 06:41:45 AM »
Awesome thread that's worth reviving!  My soldiers are from several branches of the military it seems and generating $18 an hour, but meanwhile back in Washington...

My liquid Special Ops soldiers are actively "advising" their way in "AFIREstan", "FIREya" and "FIREaq" at $13 an hour.

My home-equity National Guard soliders are about to free up $5 an hour in mortgage expenses.

But according to the Office of Management and Budget, the White House says my soldiers are all generating $48 an hour (based on net worth at 7% income per annum).   So, Congress has decided to use that fictional income level plus assumed increases in the hourly income levels of the next 5 years to justify a $100 per hour spending level now!   ;-)

Kwill

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2015, 08:00:29 AM »
Having a small stash, I find it less depressing to figure out how many minimum-wage hours my soldier is working for me.

I did that, too. Mine is roughly equivalent to a summer job at this point. But that's something.

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2015, 09:32:12 PM »
Using net worth, $7.45.

Using actual returns (2 rentals) $10.25

I like this thread. What a great way of looking at it.

Scubanewbie

• Stubble
« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2015, 07:27:56 AM »
Fun thread!  Especially as mine works out to a minimum wage worker which is amazing to me conceptually.  It's not nearly enough of course, but wow!

Alex321

• Stubble
« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2015, 08:27:59 AM »
I don't have a soldier. I have one sailor. Like I used to do, he goes out to sea on a submarine, and he spends all his time there, so he's happy to send me his income. The thing is, sometimes they're on station for a while, and he doesn't send me anything, so you can't always count on his checks, but ultimately he always comes through. He's been slowly rising in the ranks. He's a lieutenant (junior grade) now. Just got his fish.

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2015, 08:10:14 AM »
$25/hr for cash and investments....nice! 

sisto

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2015, 03:01:11 PM »
This was a really fun way to look at it. I'm happy that I currently have 1.5 minimum wage workers and I need 4 to retire. I only used my investment cash in the calculation though and not total NW since I plan to stay in my house when I retire. With my savings rate I should be on track to reach my goal in 6 years.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2015, 03:35:21 PM »
Fun exercise. My little green dudes are currently paid $3.77/hr. Sadly, my 'stache will have to increase 12-fold in order to be paid more than I'm making now. Someday...

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 16, 2015, 10:47:55 AM »
About $200 a week. Up from under $50 a week a year ago. I'd say that's pretty good.

I am using the following formula..

((Stash) * .07) / 52

tiger002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2016, 11:09:44 AM »
I'm at 7 cents an hour, using the 2080 hours. But this is only after a few months, and excludes the money I'm saving for a house down payment. This is a cool way to think about it though, I look forward to watching my number grow.

Chosh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2016, 12:49:04 PM »
Mine is employing a minimum wage earner for 15 hours/week (I like to phrase it that way better)  Their hours were cut a bit between last June and now, but they'll get up to full time some time soon!

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: February 14, 2016, 09:21:15 PM »
Investments are about $5 per hour. I'll take it.

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2016, 09:35:49 AM »
How am I only just now finding this thread!?

Numbers are based on 1/3 of my net worth being in rental property that yields more than 4%, so not really using the SWR but rather total income generated by stash.  Divided by 2000.

My little green soldiers are earning me $19.80 per hour.

Sure puts things into perspective as I'm considering getting a minimum wage job for fun.  I think, wait no I know, my time would generate a higher ROI by focusing on lead generation for my business (real estate).  For instance I'm about to be paid $600 for referring a client to another agent.  Didn't do a single lick of work except match the two of them up and I'm getting paid for that.  I'd have to work 65 hours at minimum wage to earn that...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2016, 09:42:39 AM »
I'm sad, I make less than a $1/hr.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2016, 05:43:41 PM »
I'm guessing a bit because I couldn't figure out my dividend income for last year on one 401k website, so I just assumed it made about the same per $1000 invested.  Close enough.

Farm and Rental income are going forward as they came online partway thru the year.   So this is 2016's wages until more soldiers get recruited.

I think I'll have to do a mandatory distribution on my mom's IRA that I inherited.   I'll count that money (less dividends) only if the value of the IRA stays constant or goes up.  Otherwise I'll treat it as using up capital.  I'll find out from my accountant later this year, when I send in my tax info for last year.

I didn't count any real estate or stock appreciation in value because that's just funny money until the stuff is sold.  I can't pay the bills with appreciation.  Rounded for simplicity:

Amt      Hourly Wage
Rental 1&2                  9600     5.65
Farm                           20000   11.76
Dividends/Interest   11310     6.65
=========================================      
Total Passive Income   40910   24.06

When Rental #3 goes online this year, that will be another $2.82 / hour raise.  Woot!

I'm hoping to get Rental #4 bought and online by the end of the year for another $2.82 / hour raise.

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2016, 09:00:46 PM »
I'm guessing a bit because I couldn't figure out my dividend income for last year on one 401k website, so I just assumed it made about the same per $1000 invested.  Close enough.

Farm and Rental income are going forward as they came online partway thru the year.   So this is 2016's wages until more soldiers get recruited.

I think I'll have to do a mandatory distribution on my mom's IRA that I inherited.   I'll count that money (less dividends) only if the value of the IRA stays constant or goes up.  Otherwise I'll treat it as using up capital.  I'll find out from my accountant later this year, when I send in my tax info for last year.

I didn't count any real estate or stock appreciation in value because that's just funny money until the stuff is sold.  I can't pay the bills with appreciation.  Rounded for simplicity:

Amt      Hourly Wage
Rental 1&2                  9600     5.65
Dividends/Interest   11310     6.65
=========================================      
Total Passive Income   40910   24.06

When Rental #3 goes online this year, that will be another $2.82 / hour raise.  Woot!

I'm hoping to get Rental #4 bought and online by the end of the year for another $2.82 / hour raise.

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing to get that much passive farm income? Leasing it out for cattle or crops? Hay?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2016, 10:23:13 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing to get that much passive farm income? Leasing it out for cattle or crops? Hay?

I can't take any credit for this one.  I inherited part of two farms from my mom.  Her siblings own the rest of the farms.   My uncle allows someone else to farm it (they grow rice and soybeans mostly) and the income is my share.

My uncle knows what he's doing and he's been training his son and grandson to take over one day.  They are both pretty darn smart, too, so I'm not worried about the arrangement at all.

Turnbull

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2016, 11:24:24 PM »

I can't take any credit for this one.  I inherited part of two farms from my mom.  Her siblings own the rest of the farms.   My uncle allows someone else to farm it (they grow rice and soybeans mostly) and the income is my share.

My uncle knows what he's doing and he's been training his son and grandson to take over one day.  They are both pretty darn smart, too, so I'm not worried about the arrangement at all.

Sounds like a good deal for you!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!