Author Topic: What amazing thing have you accomplished that you can't tell anyone?  (Read 47311 times)

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: What amazing thing have you accomplished that you can't tell anyone?
« Reply #150 on: April 21, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
Over a period of 18 months, I once laid off  (for good) 145 unionized primary wage earners with no lawsuits, violence, or vandalism.

Where did you bury the bodies? lol.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: April 21, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
My family would pick up on the difference between at 50 or by 50. "At 50" is just to ease them into the idea. Then BAM! Retire at 42.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #152 on: April 22, 2015, 05:55:37 AM »
Ideas and execution are totally different.  If you didn't actually create the thing, just the concept, it's okay to move on, it's not that big in the scheme of things.  :)

From a patent perspective, you don't have to have made the invention to have invented it (but it really helps to get a patent granted). From a business perspective, different story on what you need to do to get to the "worth millions". Few things actually do sell themselves!

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #153 on: April 22, 2015, 06:05:02 AM »
On the other hand, sharing a well formed idea (I don't know how to further define that)

It's easy to define, it's called a patent ;-)

Agreed.  And if it's not patented, what's to stop you from implementing?  And if it is, you should be able to prove your idea was prior.  We don't have a first to file system here in the U.S.

But in essence, no, I don't agree DD.  An idea is just that.  The execution is 10x, at least, of the idea.
We now do have a first to file system (America Invents Act, as of 3/16/13). Some things are simple, and the idea is 90%. Other things can sound simple, but getting it to work is a bear.
In any event, if someone did steal this AND then filed a patent, it may not be valid if they didn't invent what is claimed. It is possible that they stole it, modified it, then filed on the modified version.

canadian bacon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2015, 07:33:12 AM »
my first post:   hope that I do this right.

My wife and I crested 1MM liquid total (including 401K) this year with no debt. Just before my 40th birthday
Seeing the numbers in Mint is still surreal

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2015, 07:34:58 AM »
Under 30 years old and have over $300k in net assets while most of my peers are in debt. 

Random Internet Stranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: April 23, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
I can only tell my husband and he is not quite sure why I am all  SQUEEEEEEE over this  lol

1) We hit our 2nd goal last night of 175k net worth :)

2) Paid off the high interest card (Lowe's)

3) Knocked our Visa bill down from 11k to 5k (and will be 3k by tomorrow)

4) AND I redid the budget so we have finally a decent amt going to efund every month, and to IRAs, as well as paying down the last few debts we owe!!

5) PLUS (and the best part).....my husband is totally on board and willing to do this so I am not doing it alone :) Hooray!

Killerbrandt

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: April 24, 2015, 11:10:36 AM »
Paid off my 200k house by 27, but cannot tell many. Only my family and best friend know. All my other friends seem to act really weird when I say things about money or how well we are doing in other categories. They are great friends but money is a strange topic to most!

iknowiyam

• Stubble
    • The Honest Yam
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
my first post:   hope that I do this right.

My wife and I crested 1MM liquid total (including 401K) this year with no debt. Just before my 40th birthday
Seeing the numbers in Mint is still surreal

This is an inspiration.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2015, 06:57:43 AM »
On the other hand, sharing a well formed idea (I don't know how to further define that)

It's easy to define, it's called a patent ;-)

Agreed.  And if it's not patented, what's to stop you from implementing?  And if it is, you should be able to prove your idea was prior.  We don't have a first to file system here in the U.S.

But in essence, no, I don't agree DD.  An idea is just that.  The execution is 10x, at least, of the idea.

I suppose we'd need an intellectual property lawyer to settle the question. I still maintain that the situation I described -- sharing with a person a well formed idea (even without a patent) complete with some designs or sketches, only to have that person run off and execute -- would be a pretty straightforward case to win damages in a lawsuit.

Hell, Marvin Gaye's heirs somehow managed to win $7 million claiming "Blurred Lines" too closely resembled another song.

At work, I keep a notebook with a new page for each day.  I date the top of every page and I sign the bottom of every page.  This is to document my ideas and to protect me in case of a disagreement over who first thought of something.  This is not a novel approach as many employers require these notebooks.  In the event something were to go to litigation, I would have evidence in context of when I first conceived of the idea.  Pages are not allowed to be torn from the book and there must be at least one page for every working day.  About a month ago I realized there was nothing of importance in any of my old notebooks and I threw away about 7 years worth. 
I also keep a notebook at home, which are just notes about ideas about inventions I have.  I will most likely never act on any of them, but it is nice to go back later and see that I had some good ideas and just how well formed they were.  Most of the time they are not well-formed at all, just a "wouldn't this be cool" idea.    I call this book my GRQ book.  Get Rich Quick.  It's kind of a joke to myself.  At least when I die someone will find it and I hope get a good laugh.

I took an idea "wouldn't it be cool if you could unlock a safe with a ring?" and actually built it (it's a type of electronic lock). I have my notes dated and signed, but I can't patent it since it's been too long I think.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2015, 07:06:20 AM »
POoperman - you can PM me if you want, I work in patents and we can likely easily figure out if you could still get some IP protection....

Emerald

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2015, 07:08:21 AM »
I just hit a net worth of $300,000.  I didn't even realize I was close till I ran the numbers yesterday.  Wheeeee!!!!

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »
I probably have a higher net worth than many of my co-workers, and I just started my first "career" job out of uni in February. Definitely not something I can share without sounding rude/obnoxious.

Baron235

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »
I have never had a negative net worth.  Even with getting married young and having kids while in college. 

Also, I once took a 50k salary pay cut (new job), but increased my savings rate.