Author Topic: What amazing thing have you accomplished that you can't tell anyone?  (Read 47307 times)

ltt

• Pencil Stache
Re: What amazing thing have you accomplished that you can't tell anyone?
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2015, 12:12:54 PM »
After graduating uni & working for less than 18 months, I've got a networth of $43k :D  (I'm 23 years old.) Well, I did tell my Mum this, actually.

This is fantastic at your age!!

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2015, 12:19:13 PM »
My three year old can read.  I don't tell any of my mom friends this as there is no way to say it without sounding like you're bragging, because it would be.  I'm just so proud of her and want to tell everyone but alas, I don't.  My parents and in-laws LOVE hearing about it though so... there's that.

Financially, no one knows that my husband and I have well over 7 figures NW.  They'd REALLY question me making my own laundry soap and my thrift store clothes then.  Right now I think they just think I'm weird. :)

You and your three-year old ROCK!!  That's fantastic!!!

WaRpBeast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Denver RPG Meetup
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2015, 02:35:41 PM »
We bought 4 rental properties in 2014 with 25% down on each. 

Last month we completely replaced the plumbing in two units and totally renovated one of the units, sent $25k to vangaurd and paid a $4K tax bill.  I barely noticed the hit to cash due to it being bonus month.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2015, 02:41:47 PM »
We bought 4 rental properties in 2014 with 25% down on each. 

Last month we completely replaced the plumbing in two units and totally renovated one of the units, sent $25k to vangaurd and paid a $4K tax bill.  I barely noticed the hit to cash due to it being bonus month.

* yeah!  That's awesome!  Those sort of stories get me excited.  :D
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2015, 03:33:46 PM »
I guess these aren't really accomplishments, but there are a couple of things that I avoid telling people b/c I think it might sound arrogant or something.

1.) I've gotten to the level of income where the Christmas season is a net negative on the cash flow statement. I still love the holiday season and giving is better than receiving anyway, but it's something I have to account for now.
2.) I was planning an outing to a baseball game with friends last year and while people were waffling back and forth on if they could go, the tickets double in price. :O I ended up just eating the price increase myself and not telling anyone.
3.) A lot of my friends are still low income, so I kind of avoid telling them my travel plans sometimes because I don't want to seem like I'm just flaunting how great things are.

#3 is pretty silly of me though. My friends are still my friends and I'm sure they're excited to hear about my plans... as long as I don't bore them with any slideshows or anything.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2015, 05:23:16 PM »
Most of my coworkers are ~20 years older than I am. I will most likely retire before 90% of them.

Chuck

• Bristles
« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »
No, I'm pretty open about my success with people close to me. When I hit 100k in cash/investments I actually took a screen shot of my bank info and sent it to my Dad :P
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:42:39 PM by Chuck »

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2015, 08:05:36 PM »
I invented something that is in every Walmart across the country. Someone I know stole the idea ran with it and made millions. I can't say because I could probably be taken to court knowing how our country is, and you all wouldn't believe me anyway. It's in the workout equipment area.. That's all I will say.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »
Someone I know stole the idea ran with it and made millions. I can't say because I could probably be taken to court

Why would you get taken to court for someone else stealing your idea?

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2015, 09:25:57 PM »
Someone I know stole the idea ran with it and made millions. I can't say because I could probably be taken to court

It was mine only if I can prove it or it is called defamation. Anyways, you sound like a kook when you claim something great you haven't benefited from.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:02 PM »

It was mine only if I can prove it or it is called defamation. Anyways, you sound like a kook when you claim something great you haven't benefited from.

Yeah, that's not what defamation is.

If I claim on some random Internet forum that I really invented Facebook, Mark Z. couldn't sue me for defamation (okay, well, he could, cause you can sue anyone for anything, but he wouldn't have a case).

I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2015, 09:39:39 PM »
How are you defining invented?  Did you actually make it, or just come up with the concept?

socalteacher

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2015, 09:54:25 PM »
In the early 2000's I put off going to grad school and decided to see the world. I ended up teaching English in South Korea. Fast forward 2 years later I had traveled to 13 countries and had 130K in my savings account. The first year I saved around 30k, the second year I had the machine well oiled and churning out the money! I wanted to stay and accumulate more but the wife was homesick. We went back to SoCal and I made one of my biggest financial regrets. . . buying a house in SoCal at the top of the housing bubble! I don't have many regrets but the house really became an anchor in life.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: April 15, 2015, 12:45:15 AM »
The name, the concept, the design.. the whole thing. It's simple.. It's weird because in one way I think its cool to see it on the shelves. In another I think it is messed up I didn't see any of the profit. Granted-- who knows if it would have ever been there if they didn't take it. I know there are doubters. Ha.. thats why I can never really mention it.. actually I did a couple of times and you know what happened? They looked at me like I told them I was abducted by aliens.. Anyways, it doesn't solve the problems of peace or hunger so Im not sure it qualifies as great. It just qualified as millions.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #114 on: April 15, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Ideas and execution are totally different.  If you didn't actually create the thing, just the concept, it's okay to move on, it's not that big in the scheme of things.  :)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #115 on: April 15, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »
Ideas and execution are totally different.  If you didn't actually create the thing, just the concept, it's okay to move on, it's not that big in the scheme of things.  :)
Back in the late 90s, I created a business case for a lot of ideas for technology the company was developing.  I usually just put together a 1-2 page memo and gave it to my boss, a legitimately (and proven) brilliant man.  Most of the time I heard nothing back.  When we were moving offices a few years later, my boss came to me with a stack of my memos and went through them with me.  I'm sure he tossed the really bad ideas, but of the ones he kept (maybe 20?) a good 18 of them were ideas that had been developed since the time that I submitted the memo. 
Fortunately, by that time I had some knowledge about the length of time it takes to get a product from conception to prototype, to production, to market.  Usually public awareness falls somewhere long before the "to market" stage.  If I didn't understand that, I'd still be pissed about all the lost opportunity.  But any invention that was being spoken about in Wired magazine 2 or 3 years after my initial memo on it had probably really been conceived 10 years before I ever "invented" it.  Not to mention the difference between actually developing an idea and sticking it in a desk drawer. 
Be proud that you thought of something independently that turned out to be a good idea, but be realistic in that you didn't take any action to make it come to fruition and your colleague did, probably taking on a lot of financial risk in the process. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2015, 10:40:50 AM »
Well said, BH.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2015, 10:56:48 AM »
The name, the concept, the design.. the whole thing. It's simple.. It's weird because in one way I think its cool to see it on the shelves. In another I think it is messed up I didn't see any of the profit. Granted-- who knows if it would have ever been there if they didn't take it. I know there are doubters. Ha.. thats why I can never really mention it.. actually I did a couple of times and you know what happened? They looked at me like I told them I was abducted by aliens.. Anyways, it doesn't solve the problems of peace or hunger so Im not sure it qualifies as great. It just qualified as millions.

I don't doubt you, though I am curious. Did they get the idea from you, directly, and then go execute it without your involvement? As in, you shared the idea with them, and they ran with it without your involvement? Or did they [claim to] come up with it independently, without even knowing you?

For example, I had an idea for an invention a few years ago that I thought was pretty good, and I believed was novel. However, I was wrong, and I saw the exact same thing on store shelves a couple of years later (slippers with gel linings you could microwave to keep your feet warm). Whoever created it did not steal the idea from me, even though it was my exact idea and exactly how I would have executed it.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #118 on: April 15, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »

I don't doubt you, though I am curious. Did they get the idea from you, directly, and then go execute it without your involvement? As in, you shared the idea with them, and they ran with it without your involvement? Or did they [claim to] come up with it independently, without even knowing you?

For example, I had an idea for an invention a few years ago that I thought was pretty good, and I believed was novel. However, I was wrong, and I saw the exact same thing on store shelves a couple of years later (slippers with gel linings you could microwave to keep your feet warm). Whoever created it did not steal the idea from me, even though it was my exact idea and exactly how I would have executed it.

What BH and I are saying is even if they did get the idea (name, etc.) from mp, that's not a big deal.  Ideas are, as they say, a dime a dozen.  Maybe a quarter now with inflation.  ;)    The execution is what makes it happen.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: April 15, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »

What BH and I are saying is even if they did get the idea (name, etc.) from mp, that's not a big deal.  Ideas are, as they say, a dime a dozen.  Maybe a quarter now with inflation.  ;)    The execution is what makes it happen.

IANAL, but I'd think it could be a big deal, depending on the circumstances. An idle comment made to someone else along the lines of, "Wouldn't it be cool if there was an exercise thing you could squeeze with your thighs? I'd call it the 'Thigh Master'!", and then no further followup, probably would mean nothing if the other person later took the idea and ran with it. On the other hand, sharing a well formed idea (I don't know how to further define that) and any kind of documented plans/designs/sketches only to have that person run with it on their own would almost certainly give substantial cause for a suit/settlement, wouldn't you agree?

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2015, 01:51:40 PM »
On the other hand, sharing a well formed idea (I don't know how to further define that)

It's easy to define, it's called a patent ;-)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2015, 02:01:22 PM »
On the other hand, sharing a well formed idea (I don't know how to further define that)

Agreed.  And if it's not patented, what's to stop you from implementing?  And if it is, you should be able to prove your idea was prior.  We don't have a first to file system here in the U.S.

But in essence, no, I don't agree DD.  An idea is just that.  The execution is 10x, at least, of the idea.

Random Internet Stranger

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2015, 02:04:17 PM »
Can't brag to anyone else atm other than my husband, but we are on track with his 401k plan to hit over 100k in it this summer if all goes well with just his contributions. With his employer match and all investments we should have another 12k on top of that. And we have 20 years to go till he is planning to retire :) So we are doing great!!

I'm just so proud of us I could burst.... I told my dad so he won't worry so much about us (He is a semi MMM) and he gave me one of the nicest compliments I could ask for. He said "You guys have that much at your age? Honey, I knew I didn't have to worry about you. " It is a relief to him to not have to worry about me (his only daughter) with his health issues....he was constantly saying how much he wanted to make sure that I was ok after he was gone. Now, he says he knows I am on the right track and he doesn't have to worry anymore.

Now if only my idiot brother would learn to be a grownup I wouldn't have to worry about my dad so much....

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:42 PM »
It's definitely the shakeweight.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2015, 02:13:44 PM »
It's definitely the shakeweight.

It couldn't be.  Everyone had that idea years before it came out.

I thought of it in middle school when reading a star wars book (shadows of the empire--a fun one!) where a character used electricity to stimulate his muscles into growing without having to work out, and brainstormed other ways to get muscles like that, and thought of the agitator from a washing machine doing the stimulation.

That obviously spurs ideas of sex toys, so don't claim you invented those too (if they exist--if not, again, it's all in the execution).

;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 02:15:28 PM by arebelspy »

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2015, 02:21:41 PM »
The name, the concept, the design.. the whole thing. It's simple.. It's weird because in one way I think its cool to see it on the shelves. In another I think it is messed up I didn't see any of the profit. Granted-- who knows if it would have ever been there if they didn't take it.

I spent 3 months designing a business for a friend as we 'negotiated' my contract/partnership in the business.  After 3 months he said he 'couldn't pay me' and we parted ways - it took me 2 years and the threat of serious legal action to get paid for my time (at a seriously discounted rate).  He is making bank on the business now, trading on my ideas.  I could probably sue his ass into the ground, but it would poison our world here - it's a small town and he is well liked (I think I am too, but I don't want the trouble).  I prefer to move forward and keep building my own thing with people I trust.  He has some real cash but he still has to live with himself.

We have the occasional awkward 'run into' conversation at the grocery store or at a kids event.  Of course he burns through cash as fast as he makes it, so I already have a much higher net worth (though a much lower income).

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2015, 02:30:44 PM »
Amazing things I have accomplished that I don't tell anyone because nobody really believes me:

Planted just over 568,000 trees over the course of 7 summers as a treeplanter.  People hear the number and think I am full of shit because they cannot grasp it, so I don't tell anybody anymore.

Things I once did but don't tell people because they it sounds like bullshit and isn't necessarily something to be proud of:

Flew Air France intercontinentally on Xmas day while very high on LSD and wearing only a sandals, a t-shirt and boxer shorts (that somewhat passed for shorts).  I wouldn't recommend it.  The movie (The Fugitive) was dubbed in French, which I found to be very confusing and somewhat alarming.  Not something one could do nowadays, but this was the early 90s.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2015, 02:44:29 PM »
Planted just over 568,000 trees over the course of 7 summers as a treeplanter.  People hear the number and think I am full of shit because they cannot grasp it, so I don't tell anybody anymore.

You can see why they are skeptical; the numbers are pretty fantastic.

568k trees/7 summers/90 days per summer (assuming ~3 full months, June/July/Aug) = 901 trees per day.

Divided by, say, 8 hour work day, 60 minutes an hour, you're looking at 1.9 trees per minute.  So almost two trees every minute.

Even if they're little trees, digging the holes for them and filling them seems like it'd take longer than that, and that's at a breakneck pace.  I can't imagine in 30 seconds digging a hole, putting a tree in it, filling it up, and moving on to the next one instantly, nonstop for 8 hours every day for 3 months (notice I didn't take off weekends, but gave you all 90 days--it'd be a more breakneck pace if you only worked 5 days/week).

So I understand why people are skeptical.

I believe you, but I am curious on the details on how it was done.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: April 15, 2015, 02:47:00 PM »

I'm curious too.  I would guess like farming.  ie, not by hand, or at least not the hole digging part.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: April 15, 2015, 02:48:21 PM »
Flew Air France intercontinentally on Xmas day while very high on LSD and wearing only a sandals, a t-shirt and boxer shorts (that somewhat passed for shorts).  I wouldn't recommend it.

Ha!  No shit!  Confined to a single seat for ~12-15 hours while tripping wasn't fun?  Thanks for the pointer!  ;)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: April 15, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »

568k trees/7 summers/90 days per summer (assuming ~3 full months, June/July/Aug) = 901 trees per day.

Divided by, say, 8 hour work day, 60 minutes an hour, you're looking at 1.9 trees per minute.  So almost two trees every minute.

Even if they're little trees, digging the holes for them and filling them seems like it'd take longer than that, and that's at a breakneck pace.  I can't imagine in 30 seconds digging a hole, putting a tree in it, filling it up, and moving on to the next one instantly, nonstop for 8 hours every day for 3 months (notice I didn't take off weekends, but gave you all 90 days--it'd be a more breakneck pace if you only worked 5 days/week).

They have special shovels and they are FAST. 10 seconds, move on to next spot. Also they get paid by volume so it's go go go. Also I think the season is longer than 3 months and I'm sure the days are longer than 8 hours.

Source: vague memory from friends that plant.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: April 15, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »

90 working days would make for a pretty long season.  My longest was about 110, but most of them were between 55 and 70.  I think most people (including yourself) assume the trees are big.  They are typically saplings that are between 4 and 10 inches tall.

It is possible with a treeplanting shovel to open a hole with one movement, pop in a tree, kick it shut and move on.  An experienced planter can do that in about 2 seconds - more time is spent finding spots than with the actual planting.  Doing something 1-2000 times per day can get you experience pretty quickly.

My best day was 4600 trees, though that was an outlier, I was usually between 700 and 2500.  It was piece rate - paid per tree - so there was a lot of motivation - the rate when up when the ground was more difficult. 

To be honest 600K is not particularly exceptional for people with a few years experience, but seems to boggle the minds of people who have never done it.

There are tons of great blogs and images of treeplanters out there.  I loved it and worked in the industry for 10 years, I`d still be doing it if it wasn`t all working away from home and family.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #132 on: April 15, 2015, 03:05:18 PM »
Makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation and picture!

Must be rewarding to look over the area and see all those tiny saplings at the end of the day!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #133 on: April 15, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »
Makes sense.  Thanks for the explanation and picture!

Must be rewarding to look over the area and see all those tiny saplings at the end of the day!

Somewhat, though I was usually too exhausted to care much at that point.  I know where some of the trees are planted, if I ever find myself in North Central BC again I might go up and check some of them out - my first trees will be 25 years old this year.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #134 on: April 15, 2015, 03:49:39 PM »
Wow, I bet that would be fun.  I like to check in at times with some of my first students, now graduating high school.  :)

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #135 on: April 15, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
Wow, I bet that would be fun.  I like to check in at times with some of my first students, now graduating high school.  :)

My dad knew it was time to retire when he started teaching high school to the grandchildren of some of his first students.  ;)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2015, 06:16:41 PM »

Yes they knew me. They got it directly from a conversation we were having. They got really interested and asked a lot of questions. 4 years later on the shelves of Walmart.. both cool and irritating at the same time.

I won't let it drag me down. It was just the first thing I thought of when I read this post. I do give them credit for the execution if someone took it in my execution phase I would not go gently into that good night.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: April 15, 2015, 08:15:55 PM »
Treeplanting is serious business!

http://hardcoretreeplanters.com/

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »

Agreed.  And if it's not patented, what's to stop you from implementing?  And if it is, you should be able to prove your idea was prior.  We don't have a first to file system here in the U.S.

But in essence, no, I don't agree DD.  An idea is just that.  The execution is 10x, at least, of the idea.

I suppose we'd need an intellectual property lawyer to settle the question. I still maintain that the situation I described -- sharing with a person a well formed idea (even without a patent) complete with some designs or sketches, only to have that person run off and execute -- would be a pretty straightforward case to win damages in a lawsuit.

Hell, Marvin Gaye's heirs somehow managed to win $7 million claiming "Blurred Lines" too closely resembled another song.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: April 16, 2015, 10:23:49 AM »
Hell, Marvin Gaye's heirs somehow managed to win $7 million claiming "Blurred Lines" too closely resembled another song.

But Queen failed with Vanilla Ice ;-)  Definitely grey areas.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: April 16, 2015, 11:11:40 AM »

I suppose we'd need an intellectual property lawyer to settle the question. I still maintain that the situation I described -- sharing with a person a well formed idea (even without a patent) complete with some designs or sketches, only to have that person run off and execute -- would be a pretty straightforward case to win damages in a lawsuit.

Sure, if you had that proof (sketches, name, etc.) you might be able to get something.

It didn't seem like OP had anything, which makes me think it was more of an idea they were just talking about, rather than a fully developed thing (or then they would have that proof, and not be worried about being sued for "defamation").

Even then there's still a big gap between concept and implementation.  I can talk about something that does XYZ, but to actually make it, have it work, and do it at cost?  That's a much harder thing. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #141 on: April 16, 2015, 11:25:04 AM »
I have given lots of money over 25+ years to those less fortunate (mostly kids, Families with kids) so they could participate in things my kids could but would only do so if organization would set up a scholarship per sae and my name was never mentioned and to this day only the organizations know.

Secondly retiring a few weeks back, while many perhaps know it will be to there own imagination as to what i do or do not have. I like to live a private life and even tell the kids are business is only ours.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: April 17, 2015, 12:43:42 AM »
This really isn't very amazing compared to 99% of people on here, but it's still something I haven't told anyone in real life and is something I'm quite proud about.

My NW has gone from about $5k to about $65k in the last 8 months, since I found ERE and MMM and saw the light!

I've accumulated almost $4k in interest in my accounts in that time which amazes me. $4k! For free!

(Obviously not free, risk attached, but you catch my drift!)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:48:59 AM by shanghaiMMM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: April 17, 2015, 07:34:32 AM »
This really isn't very amazing compared to 99% of people on here, but it's still something I haven't told anyone in real life and is something I'm quite proud about.

My NW has gone from about $5k to about $65k in the last 8 months, since I found ERE and MMM and saw the light!

I've accumulated almost $4k in interest in my accounts in that time which amazes me. $4k! For free!

That is awesome!  60k growth in 8 months is nothing to sneeze at, and just making the turnaround and literally changing the direction your life is going is incredible.  Way to go!  :D

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #144 on: April 17, 2015, 07:35:42 AM »

At work, I keep a notebook with a new page for each day.  I date the top of every page and I sign the bottom of every page.  This is to document my ideas and to protect me in case of a disagreement over who first thought of something.  This is not a novel approach as many employers require these notebooks.  In the event something were to go to litigation, I would have evidence in context of when I first conceived of the idea.  Pages are not allowed to be torn from the book and there must be at least one page for every working day.  About a month ago I realized there was nothing of importance in any of my old notebooks and I threw away about 7 years worth. 
I also keep a notebook at home, which are just notes about ideas about inventions I have.  I will most likely never act on any of them, but it is nice to go back later and see that I had some good ideas and just how well formed they were.  Most of the time they are not well-formed at all, just a "wouldn't this be cool" idea.    I call this book my GRQ book.  Get Rich Quick.  It's kind of a joke to myself.  At least when I die someone will find it and I hope get a good laugh.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: April 17, 2015, 07:49:04 AM »
Not sure if any of these are really amazing, and I've shared a bit of this with some people, but never hard numbers:

1. Paying directly for DH's grad school tuition, 2013-2016, total around $21,000 with textbooks
2. A trip to Europe last year for $5,000 and a trip this year for $5,000, while still saving 50% of our income
3. Net worth has gone from slightly negative in 2012 to over $100,000 in 2014
4. I literally never worry about money (I think about it, but am not anxious), while I know many people who struggle each week until payday, and I feel for them, but it's really easy for me to see some of this as the direct result of poor decision-making - but I would never say this to someone

The best one:
5. I tell people I plan to retire early, like around age 50 (that's the age I imply or answer if they ask "How early?"), but I actually plan to quit (or go very part-time) as soon as our stash reaches our minimum amount, which will likely happen when I'm 43-45 (DH will probably continue working because he really enjoys his field)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:56:29 AM by rubybeth »

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #146 on: April 17, 2015, 05:43:12 PM »

That is awesome!  60k growth in 8 months is nothing to sneeze at, and just making the turnaround and literally changing the direction your life is going is incredible.  Way to go!  :D

Thanks, your support gave me a smile! Looking forward to hitting 6 figure NW sometime in the hopefully not too distant future!

As an aside, this is why I love this place - almost unbridled positivity. Another forum I frequent (although less and less these days for this reason) would have scoffed and demanded proof of my above claim, whereas here it's just support and high 5s.

Keep sharing your accomplishments :D

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: April 18, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »
Wow, saying I'm retiring at 50 is a great idea. I might steal that :-)

My accomplishment: I have saved $40,000 over the course of one year.

I told my dad I wanted to retire in my 40's. He took it differently than I thought he would. He was mostly disappointed that I didn't want to retire TO something. In hindsight that makes sense because his career is his vocation, not just a job.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2015, 09:57:37 AM »
The best one:
5. I tell people I plan to retire early, like around age 50 (that's the age I imply or answer if they ask "How early?"), but I actually plan to quit (or go very part-time) as soon as our stash reaches our minimum amount, which will likely happen when I'm 43-45
Wow, saying I'm retiring at 50 is a great idea. I might steal that :-)

I tell people "I'll be retired by age 50."  Most people seem to interpret that as 'the day before I turn 50' or 'when I'm 50'.  I really mean age 43-44, but 50 is hard enough for people to grasp (while still sounding sort of plausible), so I don't push it.

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2015, 07:18:14 PM »
Over a period of 18 months, I once laid off  (for good) 145 unionized primary wage earners with no lawsuits, violence, or vandalism.