Poll

What's your relationship status? (Long term partners choose if it is closer to dating or marriage.)

Single
152 (27.6%)
Dating
77 (14%)
Engaged
32 (5.8%)
Married
277 (50.3%)
It's Complicated
9 (1.6%)
No Comment
4 (0.7%)

Total Members Voted: 523

Author Topic: what's your relationship status?  (Read 51538 times)

FuckRx

• Pencil Stache
what's your relationship status?
« on: March 17, 2014, 06:58:02 PM »
i'm sure it's been asked before but who here is single, who is in a serious relationship but not married and who here is full on married with bells/whistles. i ask because i'm curious if it's easier to accumulate wealth staying single or shacking up with someone or being in a relationship. and if you are in a relationship/or cohabitate do you guys go dutch all the way?

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
Re: what's your relationship status?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 07:09:26 PM »
Serious relationship but not married. May or may not get married. Dutch all the way!

lexie2000

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:13:47 PM »
Married for 35 years.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:15:51 PM »
Married for 13 years.

Finances completely merged - one shared bank account, one shared credit card.  House and cars in both our names.  Individual retirement savings accounts.

For us, it's a matter of 'two can live as cheaply as one' - and we take the long view of how we contribute to the relationship.  Not everything can be assessed in financial terms.  I have never earned as much as DH, and right now I've been out of paid work for 10 years, raising and homeschooling the kiddos, and concentrating on the 'saving money by spending time' part of the equation.  My MSc in biochemistry was doomed to be a low-earner compared to his BTech in CompSci :)

(But even when you consider financial implications, when you have preschoolers and have to pay childcare, returning to work doesn't always mean an increase in net income.)

It's funny cos from the outside we look like a traditional conservative set-up, but if the incomes had been reversed we'd have seriously considered DH being the stay at home parent. 

Basically, for us it's teamwork. And we sink or swim together.  For those who have been through messy divorces that perhaps seems hopelessly naive, but both our parents were still together (until my mother died), so we know at least two ways it can be done.  :)  We're both good mates who can joke and laugh together, which seems like a good sign, anyway.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:16 PM »
Cohabiting couple here! It's definitely easier to build wealth as a couple, since the expenses are cut in half but the income stays the same.

We go dutch all the way and have separate bank account, but joint credit cards. We put everything on credit cards and do payouts down to the penny twice a month. When we do go out to restaurants (rarely), we split the cost of food we share and pay fo our own drinks or whatever separately.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:10 PM »
Cohabiting couple here! It's definitely easier to build wealth as a couple, since the expenses are cut in half but the income stays the same.

I agree.  Looking around the forum, there was a thread a few weeks ago about characteristics of early retirees, and it listed 'still married to their first spouse' there.

It seems that a couple has synergy on its side - being able to share expenses and bail each other out in tough times (emotionally as well as financially).  But a divorce will completely frag your finances and, looking at my friends who are divorced, set you back worse than if you'd stayed single the whole time.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:29:31 PM »

We go dutch all the way and have separate bank account, but joint credit cards. We put everything on credit cards and do payouts down to the penny twice a month. When we do go out to restaurants (rarely), we split the cost of food we share and pay fo our own drinks or whatever separately.

Just curious, what's the benefit of having joint credit cards if you pay them off separately?

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:33:12 PM »
Married.  All "ours".

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:43:03 PM »

Just curious, what's the benefit of having joint credit cards if you pay them off separately?

Two reasons: First, to maximize credit card rewards. Second, it's a lot easier to do payouts with our 3 joint cards, at 50% each, than with six individual cards and a bunch of complicated math to figure out who owes what.

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:44:02 PM »
Married 8 years. Separate finances, due to separate spending styles. Pretty straightforward since we don't have kids. I technically own our first investment property, but our second and further properties will be all joint, all managed by me.

Much easier to be frugal with a steady partner in one's life. Saves going out to the bars more than once in a while, for one...

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 07:47:40 PM »

Two reasons: First, to maximize credit card rewards. Second, it's a lot easier to do payouts with our 3 joint cards, at 50% each, than with six individual cards and a bunch of complicated math to figure out who owes what.

Awesome, thanks.

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 07:50:00 PM »
Married, almost 8 years. Finances completely merged.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 07:52:12 PM »
As for me, I have a serious live-in girlfriend.  She's in college full time but also works 25-35 hours a week as a server.  All our accounts are separate and I cover the rent while she covers utilities and groceries.  As far as other expenses, it's not a 50/50 split every time but averaged out i'd say we're pretty close to even.

Edit to remove a question already answered!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 07:54:31 PM by Fireman »

Southern Stashian

• Stubble
    • Having Fun In Florida!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 07:58:29 PM »
Ages 40 and 38 with 3 kids. Together for @ 25 years and married for 18 1/2. Finances have always been merged and have never regretted it!

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »
i'm sure it's been asked before but who here is single
hello ladies

i ask because i'm curious if it's easier to accumulate wealth staying single or shacking up with someone or being in a relationship. and if you are in a relationship/or cohabitate do you guys go dutch all the way?
I think it has potential to go either way. Certainly living with someone with similar values has great potential to reduce expenses for both of you, but the only difference in that respect that I see between an SO and a good roommate is one less bedroom. The other big advantage would be in shared finances where the two partners have complementary money skills, and so the whole pot is managed more effectively.

Fireman

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 08:35:06 PM »
I think it has potential to go either way. Certainly living with someone with similar values has great potential to reduce expenses for both of you, but the only difference in that respect that I see between an SO and a good roommate is one less bedroom. The other big advantage would be in shared finances where the two partners have complementary money skills, and so the whole pot is managed more effectively.

This.  I've found that my GF and I play off one another.  I know it's been mentioned in other threads, but when one of us is feeling frugal fatigue, the other reigns the situation back in.  Also, with similar financial ideals, one member of the relationship isn't trying to make up for (or keep up with) the other's egregious spending.

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 08:39:39 PM »
Married.   Finances completely merged, but spouse is a SAHP, has a large child support obligation, and came into the relationship with debt we paid off.   

Basically, marriage has been great for a number of reasons, but very confident that the stache would be significantly larger if weren't married and did not have a child.   Luckily, I don't regret any of it.

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 08:45:11 PM »
I just moved into a place with my boyfriend. We are paying slightly more rent, but it allowed us to choose a place closer to our jobs that on our own we couldn't afford. Sharing the space also meant buying things and furnishing the place meant split costs as well. We didn't have any household things besides a bed. I do think it is helping me save more money with us splitting costs. He is saving money because I am doing more of the cooking and I try to make food available so he doesn't go out for lunches. Our finances are separate, we split the rent, he pays utilities. I normally buy the groceries but every couple months he ends up buying the larger share of them. We are also able to check one another on restaurant costs the mutual support on not going out helps us avoid it. Trying to avoid children for a fair number of years to save up money.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 09:14:21 PM »
Married 24 years, no kids, merged finances.

Balance

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »
Married with a 5 month old baby.  Both our accounts are merged.  My wife and I share the same ideas on frugality. When we were dating she was always more interested in things like nature and free time over material goods just as I was. I knew she was a keeper. It has definitely been a lot easier to accumulate wealth together as we share all our expenses. Plus, life would be dull alone without her and our child. 

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »
i'm sure it's been asked before but who here is single, who is in a serious relationship but not married and who here is full on married with bells/whistles. i ask because i'm curious if it's easier to accumulate wealth staying single or shacking up with someone or being in a relationship. and if you are in a relationship/or cohabitate do you guys go dutch all the way?
If your SO is frugal, two together can grow a serious stache. If you forgo kids, even better. If the SO can build stuff and fix stuff to make it last, grow a big garden and can and preserve--you've hit the jackpot.

I hit the jackpot  :) Married 25 years, all finances merged.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:23:41 PM by iris lily »

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 10:27:16 PM »
I'm single with no kids. Looking a nice frugal woman :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 11:26:47 PM »
Wow, this is just like us! The only dif is the degrees, and DH would never have been up for being a SAHD.

Twins!!

SofiaBourbon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 11:38:05 PM »
- divorced- not dating anyone - one kid - things were easier but not better with two salaries. It has been easier to build wealth now that I am single.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 12:02:26 AM by SofiaBourbon »

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 12:09:45 AM »
Getting married in 26 days!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2014, 12:24:54 AM »
Married 25 years. Finances merged since day 1.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:33:15 AM by 1967mama »

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
Woo-hoo, MrCash!

Married ten years, never gone dutch.

kt

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:45 AM »
getting married in october. 6 years together but not living together until then so no shared finances although we know about each others earnings and savings. he lives with his mum and our expenses will be around 160% of my current outgoings but our joint income will be 233% of mine.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2014, 02:37:27 AM »

Me 2. There's none left. Seriously. Where are you all??

Splitting a Sydney mortgage and your bills with dual incomes makes a massive difference. It's a no contest really,  the financial benefits from being married or de facto are enormous. Not to mention the generous family tax benefits and concessions.

I'm trying to plan a holiday that is not priced as per person twin share and doesn't contain a single supplement. I haven't found one yet lol. Even the travel industry is telling me to shack up.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:39:08 AM by marty998 »

Ozstache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2014, 02:57:24 AM »
25 years into my first marriage, shared finances from the start, wife has gradually accepted the way of the mustachian to the point where we shot past FI last month. Awesome feeling for the both of us.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2014, 04:08:53 AM »
Married 18 years with 4 kids. Its important you have the same goals and plans. All our accounts are combined. I don't understand the separate account thing if your married.

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2014, 04:14:28 AM »
Single and finding it very hard to meet guys with a similar outlook on life :-(

All my workmates think I'm nuts not having a flat mate and people ask me how I can afford it all the time! I feel like just telling them my two basic principles- pay yourself first, and only spend money on things that have meaning.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2014, 04:38:15 AM »

Me 2. There's none left. Seriously. Where are you all??
*Waves hand in the air!* Meeeeee. I'm single.

nottoolatetostart

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 04:59:34 AM »
Married to DH for more than 4 years and together for almost 7 years total. We are 34 and 33. We have 1 toddler and a baby on the way here shortly. Finances merged since wedding day. He has some investments that he keeps separate (though they are retitled to our trust 'just in case' so our kids are protected). I don't count those in our FI money.  He has a set amount of "fun money" each year so he has own checking account and spends money on whatever (it is direct deposited into his account semi-monthly so I never count the money either). We have found it easy to work together. Our money conversations tend to be about investments and our strategy since the budget is basically the same month to month.

When we got married, we (ahem, I) had $70K left of SL debt from my degree (luckily, my income more than paid for my SL's), a small car loan, and a $134K mortgage. We built everything from scratch and had no joint savings together. I estimate our net worth has swung over $600K in the 4 years we've been married. We could FI today but we continue to work because DH is not mentally ready and we want to fund more "luxuries" in the budget (vacation, fun money, more gap between our expenses and 4% SWR).

We are best of friends, get along very well, have inside jokes, have fun together, and talk about everything. The biggest area that we need to work on in our relationship is "showing" each other how much we love each other....difficult with 2 jobs, small kid(s). Anyway, I feel so lucky to have found him and my kids have this awesome guy as their father and role model. 

kittenstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "I ain't rich, but Lord, I'm free"
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 05:06:59 AM »
Crazy cat lady!

MissMimi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 05:37:26 AM »
Crazy cat lady!

Oh good, I thought I was the only one!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 06:04:11 AM »
Crazy cat lady!

I guess there are at least 3 of us:)

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 06:23:25 AM »
I'm 25 and single. I've been going on dates here and there. Since I got a dog the whole companionship/snuggling thing is covered, so I'm not looking too hard.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »
Crazy cat lady!

I guess there are at least 3 of us:)

I have a feeling we are very well represented around here!

ace1224

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 06:33:22 AM »
30.  in a serious relationship for 11 years.  we are shacked up and have a 9.5 year old.  everything is in my name, but only because i'm usually the only one working and since we aren't married the bank wouldn't put him on the loan.  i pay for just about everything.  when he isn't being a SAHD and works for a bit his money is spending money for him, although he does like to take me out to dinner with it quite often =)
i am funding our retirement.  i do all of this (mostly) happily.  he runs the house and he runs it well, that is worth its weight in gold.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 06:40:15 AM »
Married for umm . . . fivish?  We were in a committed dating relationship for at least 9 years before that though . . .

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 06:40:42 AM »
Single lady as well. Living cheaper would depend on whether or not I can find an equally frugal guy who shares my interests. I'll second the comment on how it can make travel more expensive.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 06:46:06 AM »
So, all you "single and looking" folks - have you gone to the right subforum?

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/personals/

Anyway - Married (first) for almost 19 years, one infant.

avonlea

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
Married 12 years.  Everything is merged.

30.  in a serious relationship for 11 years.  we are shacked up and have a 9.5 year old.  everything is in my name, but only because i'm usually the only one working and since we aren't married the bank wouldn't put him on the loan.  i pay for just about everything.  when he isn't being a SAHD and works for a bit his money is spending money for him, although he does like to take me out to dinner with it quite often =)
i am funding our retirement.  i do all of this (mostly) happily.  he runs the house and he runs it well, that is worth its weight in gold.

I always want to hug you when I read your posts about how much you appreciate your bf's role in the relationship. :)  My husband says similar things and it's great to have such a supportive partner.

rtrnow

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 06:58:08 AM »
I've been with my partner for 10 years (living together for 6). Marriage is not an option as a gay couple in the south. That said I doubt we would marry anyway. We keep separate finances except for a joint credit card. It's always been easiest for us that way bc we both were already established and merging just didn't seem advantageous. The joint card is great for groceries, household items, travel etc. I definitely reached my financial goals much faster bc of our co habitation. His house was already payed off so I just pay nominal rent and my place immediately became a cash flowing rental.

rubybeth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 07:00:39 AM »
Married 5 years, have known each other for 15 years, finances are merged but I think a couple accounts still have just one of our names on them.

Can a moderator add a poll to this? I think it would be interesting to see actual poll results.

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 07:02:59 AM »
Married for one year, living together for 5, together for 9ish.  All finances combined.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 07:03:15 AM »
Getting married in 26 days!

congrats!!!

anyway, for me, serious relationship for the last 3+ years, living in sin for 2+, planning on getting married eventually :) overall I think we are very frugally compatible in that we are both good at being frugal in different areas, and then the other one tends to help rein in our weak spots (I actually wish he would help rein me in a little more on buying clothes I don't need, haha). that being said I'm not sure if I would be financially better off being single at this point in time... he moved across the country with me when I got my job (what can I say, he's a keeper!), so he was unemployed for a few months and I paid all of our rent/utilities. then he got a job but still makes less than half of what I do, so I just kept on paying those bills. I guess if I was single I would live somewhere cheaper (we rent a 2bd house with a small yard, partially for his/our dog) but I am so happy with my life I can't even think about that! for things like groceries, stuff around the house, going out to eat, we tend to go back and forth/split it pretty evenly, but we don't keep track. we each have our own insurance/cell phone bills (I know it seems like we would save a ton of money if we got on the same cell phone plan, but I'm actually still on the family plan so I just pay my dad $30/month... spoiled :))

actually one of the reasons I haven't posted a case study on here yet is that my boyfriend doesn't track his spending, so really I have no idea what "we" spend on groceries, eating out, etc. in a month... one of the reasons I am so excited about the "track all your grocery spending" challenge because I'm actually entering ALL our receipts, not just the ones I pay for!

we both want kids eventually and if I stay in this field and he doesn't get any major certifications it would make A LOT more sense for him to be a SAHD. we have only talked about it briefly but I think he'd be down for at least trying it, which is awesome.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2014, 07:07:41 AM »
Married with kids since 21.

We fall into the camp "thought we were frugal until we discovered MMM". Our main debt is student loans from graduate degrees.

I would say it really depends on the mate. A partner can just as easily compound spending and debt as limit it. A quality, frugal and stable relationship is probably best but it can be hard to find when money is such a weirdly taboo topic.

Currently I'm the one constantly saying no. I love my wife but it can be tiring being the one to constantly restrict spending. Hopefully her frugality muscles get stronger, as it's less an issue of shared values/long term goals and more that she easily gets tripped up by small purchases which quickly add up.

All finances combined. It is the only way it would work given our very lopsided incomes.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2014, 07:28:09 AM »
I'm single, 42, no kids, never been married.  Finding it very hard to meet anyone frugal or even be frugal while dating (despite the Scottish stereotype of the mean Scotsman!)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!