Author Topic: What's your job title and how much do you earn?  (Read 348393 times)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
Re: What's your job title and how much do you earn?
« Reply #200 on: December 23, 2015, 10:38:07 AM »
What shock's me is the salary of some posters in relation to their level of education. I think here lies the problem with student debt in the US - would be interesting to note how much people spent getting a BA/MA or multiples there off as a percentage of their current income.
Zero $$'s for me. Dear Uncle Sam paid for it via the GI Bill.
I know I was lucky to leave H.S. with a near-full ride, but I just can't imagine... if I hadn't had most of it paid for, enough that I could pull a few hours as a student custodian to pay rent and come out clean, I just wouldn't have gone. I'd have stayed at home, worked shit jobs 20-40 hours a week, pulled together an associate's degree and then tried again. I know some people make a 100% financed college education into a winning financial proposition, but I was never willing to go in the hole that way.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #201 on: December 23, 2015, 11:23:14 AM »
What shock's me is the salary of some posters in relation to their level of education. I think here lies the problem with student debt in the US - would be interesting to note how much people spent getting a BA/MA or multiples there off as a percentage of their current income.
I know I was lucky to leave H.S. with a near-full ride, but I just can't imagine... if I hadn't had most of it paid for, enough that I could pull a few hours as a student custodian to pay rent and come out clean, I just wouldn't have gone. I'd have stayed at home, worked shit jobs 20-40 hours a week, pulled together an associate's degree and then tried again. I know some people make a 100% financed college education into a winning financial proposition, but I was never willing to go in the hole that way.

Our Uncle covered half of my undergrad while I started out in the Reserves (working covered the rest), and half of grad school was covered by Tuition Assistance.  Neat thing about going from USAR to active duty is I still have the Post 9/11 GI Bill to pass on to my son.

o2bfree

• Bristles
« Reply #202 on: December 23, 2015, 12:23:31 PM »
Title: Tech Writer
Compensation: $107K salary, bonus of 2-5% typically, 6% 401k match, 4-1/2 weeks vacation, decent medical
Experience: 20 years
Education: BS in Tech Comm, AA in Electronics

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #203 on: December 23, 2015, 12:40:51 PM »
I was fortunate to get the double whammy of good stuff in that I had a good civilian job after I got out (due to my military training and experience) that paid for part of my education PLUS I got the GI benefit. So I actually made money going to college. However I did work full time while I went which was a PITA but, like you, if I didn't have the military education benefit I would have worked a couple of minimum wage burger-flipping types of jobs to support myself and to pay for P/T Community College.

I'm a double dipper, too. Gov't paid for undergraduate, and now I have the GI bill to use when I retire. Not sure what I'm going to study, but I'm leaning towards wooden boat building, and sail lofting. I like boats, so why not?

theSlowTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #204 on: December 23, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »
With respect to your salary I think it might be relative to your location and what you practice - I know if we'd have stayed in the town where my wife went to vet school the pay was terrible - amble supply of vets around. But doing small animal in Chicago the pay is better then what you get, her hours are really good and she really enjoys her work and she'd recommend veterinary medicine as a career. If your sole goal was to make a lot of money then sure there are lots of other fields that trump it, but I don't know of anyone who enters the field but for the love of animals - just be grateful your don't practice in the UK - the pay there is ridiculously low!

Pay is absolutely related to area of the country. I'm a small animal general practitioner living in a LCOL area in the South. In order to get that $92k, I work a soul-sucking corporate job at Banfield (the chain inside of Petsmart) where I spend my days getting chewed out by clients who think we're ripping them off (in many ways, we are... our care is good, but our prices are about twice as high as other clinics in our area), getting chewed out by middle managers who don't think I'm making them enough money (constant pressure to see more patients, upsell on everything, never turn away even non-emergent walk-ins, work with minimal staff, etc), and euthanizing animals with treatable conditions who are victims of owner neglect. Burnout in the veterinary profession is a very real issue (hence our suicide rate being higher than any other profession!) and I'm totally there. Not suicidal, but totally and completely burnt out. Currently working on my exit plan to get out of this profession.

The work environment may be slightly better at a private practice outside of Banfield. Due the cruddy local economy and the low value that Southerners place on pets, though, those jobs are few and far between in this area and pay tends to max out at around $70k. And even then, problems like hostile clients, owner neglect, and convenience euthanasia are the norm. I'm tied to this area due to husband's family and his work, so my options are limited at this time.

Glad to hear that your wife enjoys vetmed. In talking to my vet school classmates, I've found only a handful of people who are still happy to be in this profession.... so she's a lucky girl!
Ever consider starting your own private practice? The you can do what you feel is right by the clients and their patients

TL8

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #205 on: December 24, 2015, 06:11:29 PM »
Title: Higher than associate; lower than equity partner (Law firm)
Compensation: roughly $500 to $650K
Experience: 10 years as a lawyer.

I've struggled with this issue mightily as it would be so easy to keep going and banking hundreds of thousands each year.  But if the first point you raised is true, why hold out longer than necessary?  I'm in my mid-30s and already thinking I would regret trading potential freedom for the rest of my 30s and my 40s for money working at a desk job that I don't like that much.

Good for you. You should think very hard about what you would actually gain from that extra "hundreds of thousands" each year. If it shortens your retirement timeline by 10 years, it may well be worth grinding it out for a couple more years. But if you already have enough money put away for FIRE, the extra money is probably doing absolutely nothing to improve your quality of life.

Everybody is different, but I've found that getting off the professional services treadmill (and taking a huge pay cut) has drastically improved my quality of life and overall happiness. It also helps a great deal not to constantly work with people whose cost of living exceeds $500K or even $1M/year. These people are outliers but it feels like a normal lifestyle when it's all around you.

Camarillo Brillo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2015, 08:43:59 PM »
Title: CIO
Compensation: $800k total comp (base, bonus, deferred comp, profit sharing)
Experience: 35 years
Education: BBA with major in accounting

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2015, 09:12:48 PM »
Title: CIO
Compensation: $800k total comp (base, bonus, deferred comp, profit sharing)
Experience: 35 years
Education: BBA with major in accounting
So... uhh... when in 2016 are you retiring?

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #208 on: December 25, 2015, 01:26:43 AM »
Position: Maths teacher (public school)
Pay: $73,000 (including super)
Experience: 2 years.
Side Hustle: Tutoring $4,000
Education: Bachelor of Science (Discrete Maths), Bachelor of Science (Hons I), Graduate Diploma in Education (Secondary). ... so, 5 years all up.
Student debt / HECS: $25,000 (with an interest rate equal to inflation)

Position: English teacher
Salary: $100,500, plus opportunity to tutor, work at summer camps, etc.
Education: BA in English; MA in Ed
Wowsers! That's an awesome salary! How long have you been teaching for?

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #209 on: December 29, 2015, 08:54:33 AM »
I was fortunate to get the double whammy of good stuff in that I had a good civilian job after I got out (due to my military training and experience) that paid for part of my education PLUS I got the GI benefit. So I actually made money going to college. However I did work full time while I went which was a PITA but, like you, if I didn't have the military education benefit I would have worked a couple of minimum wage burger-flipping types of jobs to support myself and to pay for P/T Community College.
IIRC, the fed govt is now requiring universities to show the starting salary for each program of study. Somewhere out there is a really good report showing ROI for many different fields of study.

Based on how much I was making pre-BS, post-BS, and post-MS, my back-of-the-envelope ROI one year after graduation (incl. opportunity cost) was 14% for the BS and 60% for the MS.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: December 30, 2015, 05:10:32 PM »
Senior ecologist in the PNW - with bonuses - $150k.  33 yrs experience.  Started with an MS at $5/hr.   Camping, climbing, skiing so lots of cheap trips.  Spend little, save a lot.  Paid off house and no debt.  Could retire now if I wished but I really like my job and get outside quite a bit.  But soon - couple years more.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #211 on: December 30, 2015, 06:30:32 PM »

Compensation and benefits are good but best part is a fun and engaging job with cool co-workers and interesting travel opportunities.  Worst part is job is too much fun to retire "early".

Where do I sign up? What's your PHD in? Do you need it for your job?

ajonesin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #212 on: December 30, 2015, 06:42:55 PM »
Title: Assistant Bakery Manager
Pay: 40K, not including quarterly bonus.
Experience:4 years

Working my way up to higher paying jobs in the food service industry, they're out there!

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: December 30, 2015, 06:43:05 PM »
Title: Associate (BigLaw in NYC)
2016 Salary: If everything goes well, $310K pre-tax (including bonus of ~80K), which is a big bump from last year's ~190K, plus ~10K from renting out a room, if I don't kick my roommate out to make a home office/later nursery.  I don't think the new numbers have hit me yet.
Education: BA, JD, MA
Experience: five years' practice

yakamashii

• Stubble
« Reply #214 on: December 30, 2015, 08:04:27 PM »
Title: Self-employed translator
Pay: $65-$70K after taxes and expenses
Education: BA
Experience: 6 years

JZinCO

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: December 31, 2015, 10:14:57 AM »
Senior ecologist in the PNW - with bonuses - $150k.  33 yrs experience.  Started with an MS at $5/hr.   Camping, climbing, skiing so lots of cheap trips.  Spend little, save a lot.  Paid off house and no debt.  Could retire now if I wished but I really like my job and get outside quite a bit.  But soon - couple years more.
Interesting! I'm guessing you don't work for a university or agency but a regulatory compliance/permitting/planning type of consultancy?

Clever Name

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: December 31, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
Title: Software Engineer/Mobile App Developer
Pay: $76k + bonus ($5k this year) + ~$2.5k annual HSA contribution + 4% 401k match
Education: BS Computer Science
Experience: 3.5 years

I work remotely in a relatively LCOL area. My company is in the process of setting up a stock options program and I have been told that I will be receiving options, but I have no idea when or how many or what they will be worth.

I also receive about $3k/year in residual income from an app I developed on the side a few years back. I have neglected it for far too long but I hope to expand that income stream this year by releasing a significant upgrade and moving to a freemium pricing model.

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #217 on: December 31, 2015, 01:16:49 PM »
Network Security Administrator
Degree: Associates from a Tech School
Experience: 8 years
Salary: Low-Mid 80s

Working my way up at a pace that is fast enough to feel productive, but slow enough that I don't go over 40 hours/week or burn out. Slowly studying for a CISSP. I realized that I like the Security side of the job more than the Network stuff.

Side Job:
Install/Support Surgical Equipment. ~5 hours per month. It is starting to snowball a bit as the equipment I initially deployed has people calling me for support now.
2012-2014 - About $500-1000/year - pretty much all installations.
2015 - Little over $2000/year
2016 - Goal is $4000+.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 01:19:55 PM by stlbrah »

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #218 on: December 31, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »
Title: Staff Accountant

Salary: $38K base + seasonal overtime + costs incurred to become a CPA (~$2,000)

Experience: 6 months

Education: Masters of Business Administration and Accounting

I do municipal and non profit audits and personal, small business, and non profit tax returns. I'm hoping to pass the CPA exam before the end of 2016 and hope my pay will start to go up substantially at that point.

Blindsquirrel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: December 31, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
Title: Principle Scientist
Experience: 24 years
Certificates: BS Chemist
Salary: 132k+ 14% tax differed between 401k and profit sharing

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #220 on: December 31, 2015, 09:33:41 PM »
Title: Assistant Professor
Experience: 25 years
Certificates: BS Finance, MS National Resource Strategy
Salary: $160K between base pay and allowances

My title is misleading.  I'm a Navy Officer (06) with 25 years.  I'm currently teaching at one of the War Colleges for my last tour.  My career has been mainly flying helicopters with enough staff work (desk jobs) to ensure I enjoyed the helicopter flying parts more.

obrero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #221 on: December 31, 2015, 10:07:49 PM »
Title: Aircraft Mechanic
Pay: 56K
Years: 8
Education: B.S. (not req.)  To get this job you need 3 years experience as an aircraft mechanic. 

I was in the Army, now I work for a company contracted by the Army.  I wish I would have stayed in, I'd be making more money now plus have the cushy gov. benefits.  The wages in my field have been stagnant for 5+ years, there are no raises for time in a position or any other type of incentive, plus they are steadily stripping benefits away to increase the company's bottom line.  However, I'm soon moving to Abu Dhabi and will be making 100k tax free. 

boridi

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #222 on: January 01, 2016, 06:27:54 AM »
Title: Principle Scientist

Do you run experiments on principles?

HawkeyeNFO

• Bristles
  • Retired at 44.....back to work at 45
« Reply #223 on: January 02, 2016, 04:52:36 AM »
Naval Flight Officer
18 years working for Our Uncle
42 y.o.
job required a bachelor's degree, and since joining, they have paid for 2 different master's degrees.
Salary (base pay + housing + food allowance + flight pay + overseas COLA pay + other pay depending on where in the world you are) = $140k

Flying planes is fun, sure beats working at a bank or insurance company!  Yes, you will get deployed and miss birthdays and weddings and holidays.  You will make the news and history that civilians read about.  Operational jobs become fewer and fewer as you stay in longer.  So you will have to take some office/cubicle jobs for 3 years at a time, but the 20 year retirement still exists, although it will be drastically changed for people who join the service in the very near future.  Living overseas right now, which has been great for the family so far.  Certainly not the job for everyone, but no regrets from me.

Frugal Mama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #224 on: January 02, 2016, 07:55:53 AM »
Previous Job:   Director IT
Salary 90K & 25% bonus.  Left job in 1997 to become a stay at home parent when the company I was working for went out of business.  My special needs daughter started having major health issues right around the same time.  They were life changing.

Current job:  Stay at Home Mom to daughter (37) and full-time caregiver Nana to my son and DIL's two littles.  Just found out at Christmas there will be third in July 2016. 

Salary:  I get paid in hugs and kisses and we're OK with that.

hlca

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #225 on: January 02, 2016, 01:12:57 PM »
Title: Higher than associate; lower than equity partner (Law firm)
Compensation: roughly $500 to $650K
Experience: 10 years as a lawyer.

I've struggled with this issue mightily as it would be so easy to keep going and banking hundreds of thousands each year.  But if the first point you raised is true, why hold out longer than necessary?  I'm in my mid-30s and already thinking I would regret trading potential freedom for the rest of my 30s and my 40s for money working at a desk job that I don't like that much.

Good for you. You should think very hard about what you would actually gain from that extra "hundreds of thousands" each year. If it shortens your retirement timeline by 10 years, it may well be worth grinding it out for a couple more years. But if you already have enough money put away for FIRE, the extra money is probably doing absolutely nothing to improve your quality of life.

Everybody is different, but I've found that getting off the professional services treadmill (and taking a huge pay cut) has drastically improved my quality of life and overall happiness. It also helps a great deal not to constantly work with people whose cost of living exceeds $500K or even $1M/year. These people are outliers but it feels like a normal lifestyle when it's all around you.

Yeah, I think we will be FIREd by the time we leave.  Should have just shy of $2M invested with a spend of $55K in a HCOL area.  We are considering settling down in a less expensive area.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #226 on: January 02, 2016, 01:30:30 PM »
Job:  Biglaw associate

Comp:  Salary in 2015 was around $300k after bonus, salary in 2016 will probably be about the same (my hours are going to be materially lower this year than last, and a large part of our bonus is based on hours--I might even miss the hours cutoff entirely, in which case I'll be closer to $215k total).

Time in:  I'm a mid-level (i.e., somewhere between year 4 and 7). 

Education:  4 years of undergrad in a completely useless liberal arts field that didn't even require that I do any writing, 1 year off doing things I don't really remember well because I think I may have been blackout drunk the whole time, 3 years of law school, one year of post-law school internship.

Overall financial picture:  Started with ~$200k of debt, now have ~$400k stashed (including retirement accounts, though I think of it as being closer to $330k because I tax-effect my deferred comp).  About $220k in taxable, $140k in retirement accounts/HSAs, and the rest in cash.  I didn't work for a firm in my first year out, so that hurt my overall position.  I live in an "any day at the firm could potentially be my last" kind of mentality, so we'll see how long it lasts.  Single income dual person house, no kids (yet, not sure if we will get any).  Still renting.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 01:52:40 PM by Tabaxus »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #227 on: January 02, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
Title: Account Executive
Salary: $47k base salary + $50k incentive comp @ quota (Going to hit ~$112k total for FY16)
Experience: 1 year
Education:Some college

Title: Sr. Account Executive
Salary: $57k base salary + $65k incentive comp @ quota
Experience: 1 year & 2 months
Education:Some college

Connie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2016, 07:48:38 PM »

Title: Senior Technology Consultant - I work for a large consulting firm and get sent on teams to clients to customize and implement software solutions
Experience: 4 years
Salary: 130k + bonus of 0-8%
Education: Bachelors degree in Economics

I have to travel 80% for my job, which I really don't like, but it comes with a lot of perks like frequent flyer miles, hotel points, credit card rewards points. I don't know how long I can keep up with the traveling so I may have to switch industries at some point in the next few years.

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2016, 10:38:04 PM »
Title: Dental Hygienist - Part Time
Experience: 14 years with a 4 year break as a SAHM
Salary:  $48k/yr which varies slightly depending on bonuses. I work 2-3 days/wk, so I'm satisfied with the salary.  I also get a 401k match plus a discretionary profit sharing contribution. 
Education: Associates Degree from a community college

I was always a good student, did well on my SATs, and my parents were willing to fund whatever college education I wanted to pursue, but I chose this profession almost solely because I wanted to be a mother.  I was looking for something that gave me the flexibility to work part time, while still making good money.  I also felt bad pursuing an expensive college degree at my parents' expense when I wasn't planning on using it if I married someone who made enough for me to be a SAHM.  I am mostly happy with my chosen path, however, I wouldn't recommend the profession for someone who is looking to work full-time for their entire career.  I worked 6 days/week before we had kids, and looking back, I don't know how I did it.  It is killer on my back, neck and shoulders, even at a part-time level.  Also, I work in a very high-stress, busy office.  It is not uncommon to work an 8 hour day without time to eat or use the bathroom.  I love the people I work with, and my bosses are good, ethical dentists, otherwise I'd probably be looking for something in a slower paced office.  I am not someone who thrives in a high stress environment. 

turketron

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:50 PM »
Job Title: Customer Support Rep for a Bay Area tech company
Experience: 2.5 years
Salary:  $54k hourly, probably around $65k average with OT and RSUs
Education: Bachelor's

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »
My Job Title: SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 1 year
Education: BS in Computer Science
Salary: 72k + ~10% bonus + $750 HSA contribution + 2.5% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth

Cost of living from this chart is 99.2/100, so very average cost of living area.

Started at 71k, got a raise a couple months in as a thanks for being awesome ;)

My manager says I will be getting a promotion in the next round (February) even though it typically takes 3-4 years. Should come with about a 10% raise.

The work environment is awesome. Really laid back and supportive. Take as much vacation as you want policy with no keeping track of work, sick, and vacation hours, etc. I would have to get a super big raise to consider working elsewhere.

DW Job Title: RN
Salary: ~70k + small pension + 2% 403b match
Experience: 5 years
Education: BS in Dietetics, BS in Nursing

She started out getting a degree in dietetics but that didn't work out due to requiring an internship to get certified and there not being enough to go around (something that if she had known me prior to starting the program she would have thoroughly looked into and chosen something different or studied harder). Went back after the Dietetics degree and did an accelerated BSN program and now is very happy.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 12:31:31 AM by Gronnie »

iamlittlehedgehog

• Stubble
« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »
Title: Administrator
Experience: I guess maybe 3 years? More like 2 1/2
Education: All I have is an AA and my A+ certification

I sorta lucked out. My current company hired me on as an administrative assistant but grew so quickly my salary doubled in 6 months. Half the time I have no idea what I'm doing but somehow make it work with a combination of Google and and asking a lot of questions.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 04, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
Finance Mgr, F100: $105k + 10% bonus potential (usually pays out 100%+, up to 130-140%)
Experience: 10 yrs
Education: BS Accounting, MBA

danielobvt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #234 on: January 04, 2016, 12:29:27 PM »
Information Technology Specialist (Security) - US Government (leading a Contractor team of Penetration Testers)
39 yo
130k (but in the DC area, so not as impressive as it sounds)

Best thing about my job is the 5.2 weeks of Annual Leave and 2.6 weeks of sick (plus 3 weeks of military leave (which covers my "part time" job as an Army National Guard Captain (10k per year)))

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 04, 2016, 12:33:16 PM »
age 19-24: 5 year accounting program (to be eligible for CPA you need 150 hours)
age 24-28: public accounting, from 51k to 62k when I left
age 28-29: industry, 90k to 100k when I left a week ago
age 29 (new job): finance manager, 118k total comp for 2016

Masters in Accounting, CPA

Age 18-22: 4 year accounting program
Age 22-24: US Navy
Age 24-29: $48.5k up to $60k, three promotions, 1 employer, employer paid for part time MBA ('09-11)
Age 29-30: Laid off from Company 1, hired at Company 2, Senior accountant, $75k
Age 30: Left company 2, went to company 3, Senior accountant, $82k
Age 32: Promoted to Senior Financial Analyst, $92k
Age 33: Promoted to Finance Manager, $105k + now bonus eligible
Age 34: Angling for another 10% raise to accompany a potential job responsibilities shift

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 04, 2016, 12:38:13 PM »
I think a more interesting question is "how much do you earn per hour?" since that's something a lot of people lose sight of when on salary.

Can be hard when it's so variable.  An average week for me is 8:30-5:30 M-Tr + 8:30-2:30ish on Fri. Lunch at my desk, surfing the web or not.  That's around 40 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more.

Some weeks I work 60 hours, or have lots of after-hours conference calls (with Asia). 

Last week I MAYBE worked 15 hours M-Thurs given the holidays. 

I get 3 weeks of vacation + 5 days sick, but that only really counts for "weeks off" when I actually take a vacation.  If I take a random Friday or Monday off, my boss and I never count it.  On the other hand, 1 Sunday a month I usually come in for 3-4 hours because I give a big presentation Monday.  It's all very flexible, which is great.  My wife is salaried but actually has to punch a clock, it would drive me nuts.

Chavak

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #237 on: January 04, 2016, 01:29:54 PM »
Title:  Optometrist
Experience:  28 years   just retired at the end of 2015
Education: BS, then four years optometry school.
Income would vary by how much I worked. I frequently took a lot of time off and worked only part time the last couple of years.
Could be as low as $80,000 if I worked part time or $150,000 if I worked pretty much full time.

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #238 on: January 04, 2016, 02:56:00 PM »
Title: Attorney (for the government, not a firm)
Salary: low 90s (USD)
Experience: 7 years
Education: BA (partial scholarships), JD (full scholarship, loans for living expenses)

I would be slogging it out at a firm were it not for the scholarships.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #239 on: January 04, 2016, 03:08:39 PM »
Title: Associate Attorney
Salary: $135k plus bonus ($10 - 30k?) (former biglaw, now smaller firm representing nonprofits)
Experience: 6 years
Education: BA (liberal arts, fun, useless), JD 

I did biglaw for four years and left.  Probably took too big of a paycut, but my life is better now and my chances of partnership were low.  I was inspired about working with nonprofits, but now sometimes I get cynical and think I would prefer to just work with companies, just fewer hours than I used to.  But I am not sure if that deal exists for lawyers unless you go in-house (I've been trying).  Not sure what the future will hold. 

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:22:54 PM by blinx7 »

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 04, 2016, 03:22:00 PM »
Title: Senior Associate (Law firm)
Salary: $265,000 plus bonus (this year's bonus was $100,000)
Experience: Around 8 years. Which is longer than most people last in these high stress jobs. I know I am making a ridiculous salary right now, but it's not a long term job - once I burn out, I'm out. So I'm stashing.
Education: BA, JD, LLM. Lots of student loans, but only at 0.9% interest so I'm paying the minimum each year.
  Wow!  I hope you have had a very high savings rate.  That is a killer income for an associate.  265k plus another 100k?  $365k!!!  I admit I am jealous, MountainGirl.  My meager income is on the last page.

Can I ask what kind of law?

Corporate law. It's the standard BigLaw salary scale. Unfortunately I'm also in an extremely HCOL area, but I'm working on the savings rate since I know I can only hack it in this kind of position for another few years at most. Just to add some perspective: It involves billing around 2300 hours (those are just the billable hours - add the  never ending non-billable admin, training, etc. to that), working most weekends and evenings, and always being on call. My health related expenses are through the roof due to the stressful and unhealthy nature of this kind of job, and it's hard to keep personal relationships and friendships when you're always working and always have to cancel social plans, but again, I can tough it out a few more years.

Thanks for reminding me why I left.  It wasn't just the hours -- I had a health scare (woke up with chest pains at 3am twice, had to go to emergency room) and figured if this is my life at 29, there is no way I can do this long term.  Once I realized I was going to leave eventually, the motivation to keep pushing just stopped, money or not. 

Slowdown

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #241 on: January 05, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
Title: Senior Product Manager
Industry: Software
Experience: 7 years in that company, > 20 years in total
Salary: $ 61,000 gross, $ 36,000 net

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2016, 03:17:31 PM »
Interesting! I'm guessing you don't work for a university or agency but a regulatory compliance/permitting/planning type of consultancy?

Had a 3 yr stint with the federal government but didn't like it -- 20% of the people did 80% of the work.  Otherwise been in environmental consulting and now work for an employee-owned firm.  Great folks, great projects around the PNW - concentrate on natural resources planning work.  No developer crap. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2016, 03:37:36 PM »

Had a 3 yr stint with the federal government but didn't like it -- 20% of the people did 80% of the work.  Otherwise been in environmental consulting and now work for an employee-owned firm.  Great folks, great projects around the PNW - concentrate on natural resources planning work.  No developer crap.
I hear that's a problem with the feds.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2016, 03:45:36 PM »
Hmm...looking at the two recent Navy postings, maybe I should have stayed in. They are both doing better than I am right now, and I'm 45.  My buddies are all making O-6 right around now.

Then again, I never flew any kind of aircraft, so not exactly sure I'm comparing apples to apples.  Plus, I kind of like being with my kids, who are 9 and 3.  Of the friends who are still in - a lot of sea tours were hard on the wives (and, I'm the mom here).  At least one of the O-6's never had kids.

grosvenor6

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: January 07, 2016, 11:41:09 AM »
Title: Draftsman
Salary: 40k +  1500 Bonus; 3% raise every 4 months
Experience: 3 high school/college courses
Education:  3 classes away from associates degree

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #246 on: January 07, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »
age 19-24: 5 year accounting program (to be eligible for CPA you need 150 hours)
age 24-28: public accounting, from 51k to 62k when I left
age 28-29: industry, 90k to 100k when I left a week ago
age 29 (new job): finance manager, 118k total comp for 2016

Masters in Accounting, CPA
That's the kind of trajectory I'd be stoked to have.

Title: Financial Analyst
Salary: $55k + 10% bonus
Experience: 3 years total (6 months in current position)
Education: BA in Accounting, 2/4 parts of CPA exam passed (hoping to knock out by next summer).  Certification should open up a lot of doors.

Similar to you guys:

Age 22-23.5: Financial Leadership Program ($47.5K to $55K)
Age 23.5-24.5: Financial Analyst ($65K)
Age 25: Senior Financial Analyst ($75K to $82.5K now)
Next: Hopefully finance manager in next 0-1.5 years at 100Kish

Exp: 3.5 years total
School: BS Business Administration, Concentration in Finance

I've been thinking about getting a similar job at a good school to get my MBA for free, only thing holding me back as things have been so easy to this point lol

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #247 on: February 03, 2016, 06:32:33 PM »
Senior Applications Developer
153K salary, 185K total compensation.

Part time job:
Landlord
45K a year projected 2016 net profit, not counting appreciation.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:54:55 PM by Bearded Man »

PhysicianOnFIRE

• Bristles
    • Physician On FIRE
« Reply #248 on: February 04, 2016, 08:29:36 AM »
Sorry should have been more specific, I'm a Military surgery resident. Current rank CPT/O3. Also i have over 12 years time in service.

Title: General Surgery Resident
Experience: 4yrs
Salary: 120k+ benefits
Education: 4yr undergrad+4 med school+ (6 residency, I'm in year 5).

Pay will go up after graduation, by about 40k or so. Plus I can supplement with locums, most places pay 100-125$/hr.
Wow what?? I was making 56k as a pgy4, and it was scaled to the highest COL in the US. Things have really changed in 4 years.

Does the $120,000 include pay for moonlighting? I've never heard of any resident getting more than $65000 a year. Medscape reported that the average resident salary in 2015 is $55400

Thank you for clearing that up.  "Living like a resident" was starting to look pretty good, not that I'm willing to go back. 

I made $38,000 to $41,000 a year, putting in 60 to 80 hours a week as an anesthesia resident.  The hourly rate wasn't far from minimum wage.  But that was 10 years ago.  Life is much better for me now.

Think

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #249 on: February 04, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »
Financial industry regulator.  155k base.  Around 17k bonus.  Contributes ten percent of my salary each year to a defined pension plan which can be rolled into a 401k if you leave before retirement.  Free metro card.  Matches 7 percent 401k.   I have a bachelor of science.  In my early 30s. 

Husband has a sales role and in his mid 30s.  Makes around 215k plus a car allowance. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!