Author Topic: What's your job title and how much do you earn?  (Read 348347 times)

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's your job title and how much do you earn?
« Reply #650 on: July 06, 2018, 12:33:15 PM »
Title: Freelance medical/science editor and writer
Salary: varies, but ~$47,000 last year (up from ~$36,000 when I went full-time 5 years ago)
Experience: 5 years as a full-time freelancer, preceded by a 12-year career in biomedical research with several publications
Education: BS and PhD in different biomedical science disciplines (no debt for either; university paid me to do the PhD)

I work probably 25–30 hours per week, contract with a small panel of terrific long-term clients, and generally enjoy my work. It's fairly low-stress (important after severe burnout during my postdoc) and allows me time to cook from scratch, manage the household finances, and do volunteer work. Health insurance is provided by husband's employer, which helps a ton. I can't contribute to the 403b from my postdoc anymore, so I opened a Roth IRA with the same investment firm, as well as Vanguard accounts.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 06:40:45 AM by OtherJen »

SteadyDoinIt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #651 on: July 06, 2018, 12:58:36 PM »
38 years old
Real Estate Appraiser - Sole Proprietor single person business
13 years in the business.  First 7 years I worked for a bigger firm
$75k per year but only work 20 hours per week on average
I consistently made $125K+ per year but I hated working everyday 40 hours a week. Since I work from home it's just way too hard to stay focused that long with so many different hobbies. We have a 2 year old son and another on the way and so far we haven't needed to use any babysitters.  I could definitely work more without having to watch children but I think its a great tradeoff as our work balance is great.  I can probably work at this pace for many more years since I have a lot of flexibility.

My wife on the other hand is a Registered Nurse and makes $175k per year.  Her benefits are amazing and she can pick up more shifts whenever she likes. Luckily her company pays healthcare for the entire family.  It definitely helps since health insurance was pretty expensive as a small business owner.

@Balance I know your post was from a while back, but if you're still around, can you shed a little more light on how you got into that industry, what it takes to get into it, what it takes to be successful, and any other pertinent information? I've always heard/thought appraising was a great way to make (as much or as little) money (as you want), but the trusty internet research provides mostly negative info.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: July 06, 2018, 02:13:34 PM »
At least someone on this forum was questioning the accuracy of tools like glassdoor. For certain jobs the real wild card in pay are stocks and bonuses. If you dig into payscale you will often see that over half a software engineer's salary at a top company is stocks and the averages pale in comparison to the full range.

Another factor I think I see when looking at glassdoor is a lot of the older employees probably aren't entering their data into glassdoor on a regular basis. Or are not all using the same clear job title to convey that salary. Its pretty easy to predict starting salary with glassdoor. I have found it difficult to guess what you can make at a senior level because the range is so much larger and the average still sits down around starting salaries which is clearly wrong in many cases.

The reason I suspect this is because with only roughly 5-6 years experience I know I am reasonably well paid in SoCal. But there are numerous people above me who are clearly getting paid more and have more value. And I don't see their compensation clearly displayed in a focused company search.  I know my leads and project managers with 20 years experience are not getting my pay. Even with shit raises they should be making $30k+ more than me.

Your best bet for figuring out what company will pay what  is to have a close friend or family member who is high enough up in management to know a companies salary ranges and they could give you a better idea of what kind of salary a role can command.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #653 on: July 06, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
Title: Salesforce Administrator
Salary: $82k + 10% bonus
Experience: 3 years
Education: BS Engineering Physics

An update upon getting my new position. I'm about a year of experience short of a major title change (Salesforce Architect), so hopefully, I can get that through my new job.

Title: Salesforce Administrator
Salary: $85k + 10%
Experience: 4 years

Another update:

Title: Senior Product Support Technical Advisor (lol, it's the same as before but the company is crazy)
Salary: $50/hr [$100k/yr] but with no benefits as I'm a contractor. it'll be 90k next year with benefits.
Experience: 5 years

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #654 on: July 07, 2018, 02:59:21 AM »
Title: Project Manager Manufacturing
Experience: 10 years +
Salary: 180k/year (Expat) goes back to 100k/year after expat contract
Location: LCOL area (When I pay for my own expenses), currently my housing and transportation is paid by company

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #655 on: July 07, 2018, 03:57:05 AM »
Title: PhD candidate
Experience: <1 year
Salary: €32k

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #656 on: July 07, 2018, 09:09:38 AM »
new update since switching companies. A bit less money, but far better position and less hours.

Title: Quality Manager
Experience: 9 years industry
Salary: approx 175k + full benefits + 5% 401k match + $55k tax free per diem
Job type: 2 year + Duration as a W2 contractor
Education: Associates Degree and some certifications

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #657 on: July 07, 2018, 08:01:45 PM »
new update since switching companies. A bit less money, but far better position and less hours.

@use2betrix

That is amazing! I didn't know you quality guys got paid that much! This is certainly not the norm is it? I would of thought Quality Manager to be 105k-120k...

mjr

• Bristles
  • Retired at 52
« Reply #658 on: July 07, 2018, 08:20:39 PM »
Programme Director in a software R&D firm.  US company, Australian office.

AU$ 227000 p.a.
9.5% superannuation
20% bonus p.a.
20% equity p.a.

All coming to end in 3 weeks when I retire :-)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: July 07, 2018, 08:44:53 PM »
Job Title: Principal Field Service Engineer (really--  Principal Chemist)
Salary: $106k  + minor OT/ compensated time off
Years’ experience: 28 years
College Requirement: BS,  I have MS.   MS was free +10K/year SS-free stipend.
Hard Science/math teaching assistanceships require 1)warm body 2)breathing 3)attempts at English.

I saw that some spelled it Principle, is this misspelling or actual?
I'm not really principled, but I am a princiPAL-- how I remember how to spell it.

update

Job Title: Gentleman of Leisure
Salary: $ 0 earned
Years’ experience:  1 month
College Requirement: none, extra study via MMM forums.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #660 on: July 07, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »

@use2betrix

That is amazing! I didn't know you quality guys got paid that much! This is certainly not the norm is it? I would of thought Quality Manager to be 105k-120k...

Quality Manager is similar to like a Project Manager - in the sense that it entirely depends on the company, responsibilities, and industry.

For example, manufacturing will likely have totally different requirements, tasks, knowledge base, etc., as compared to a major oil and gas company. A good quality manager can be a sole determining factor in costing or saving a company/project millions of dollars per year.

As a contractor in my industry I’m probably about top 25% pay wise. Ive made more in previous projects, but this is pretty good too. For my age, I am pretty good at what I do.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:34:29 PM by use2betrix »

gpyros85

• Stubble
« Reply #661 on: July 07, 2018, 11:44:10 PM »

@use2betrix

Quality Manager is similar to like a Project Manager - in the sense that it entirely depends on the company, responsibilities, and industry.

For example, manufacturing will likely have totally different requirements, tasks, knowledge base, etc., as compared to a major oil and gas company. A good quality manager can be a sole determining factor in costing or saving a company/project millions of dollars per year.

As a contractor in my industry I’m probably about top 25% pay wise. Ive made more in previous projects, but this is pretty good too. For my age, I am pretty good at what I do.

I am thinking about the manufacturing industry, seems like you are in oil/gas industry. Very nice, I am Project Manager for manufacturing, I am a slight bit interested in life in oil/gas.

TheWifeHalf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #662 on: July 08, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
In L-MCOL area. I saw somewhere that housing is very low cost, but the rest is medium.

Me  : kept woman

TheHusbandHalf : I think he is called a process engineer at an oil refinery. He works in the control room, and has for the last 10 years.
17 years before that he worked in the outside (He now sits  in front of 6-7 computers and tells people what to do, he used to do what people in the control room told him to do)
When he was hired, no education was necessary to apply, but they were very selective. At the time, of the 20 hires, 5 had to be a minority, 5 women, 5 white guys, and I can't remember the other 5. The company has consistently received 3000 applicants for 20 - 25 openings.

THH:
Salary: 6 figure  Per the contract, he gets a 3% raise every year.
Experience: None when he started, 27 years now.
Education: 2 years of college, did not graduate.
Since he was 17-18 he's been involved in electric, plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, and just knows stuff, and interviews well -  the reason he was hired. There was a year long training when he was hired and training to move to the control room.
Every year he sends in payment for a Boilermaker's license, and some other license, which the company reimburses.

401k match is 8%, the company puts  2000 in the HSA every year if we get a wellness check from our doctor
There is a pension when he retires (Jan 10, 2019) Excellent health insurance, dental, vision with others we do not wish to participate in.
$200 work shoe voucher each year.
Time and a half for any hours per week over any hours scheduled.  2 1/2 time/hr when working a holiday. Holidays are worked if it is timed to be on his scheduled time to work. Trades are ok if arranged, and ok'd, ahead of time.
A few times a year THH does something (the last time, not allowing something to happen because his procedure manual said not to, despite many many telling him to) that people who are appreciative, and give him some movie  and refreshment cards

The company has changed their application requirements from needing a college degree (any degree) to 'need a college degree or military experience.' (Because of THH!) They no longer are required to meet hiring quotas.

It is a union job and 3 years ago was the first strike  since THH has worked there. From what I see, the union's main responsibility is the employee's safety.
I forgot to mention:
Same sex couples are treated the same, insurance or other benefits - wise as heterosexual couples. I think that's been about 10-15 years.
Kids, age 26, of an employee have been covered under the employees health insurance  for the same length of time.
Men, I'm not sure if they have to be a husband, get paid time off when a child is born.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 09:26:02 PM by TheWifeHalf »

TexasT

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #663 on: July 09, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
Title: Quality Control Laboratory Technician
Salary: $40/hour, with O/T+ Benefits about 120k/year
Education: B.S. in Chemistry, one wasted year of law school

Side Gig:
Title: Travel Writer
Salary: $25/hour for interaction on social media, $100/article - about $1,500/month
Education: Knowing how to google "what to do in Tokyo" when someone asks
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 03:25:11 PM by TexasT »

FreelanceToFreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #664 on: July 10, 2018, 05:15:03 PM »
Title: Freelance writer and editor
Salary: Variable. Average around $60 an hour. Expecting ~$50k total this year (I don't work much!) No benefits - but a ridiculous amount of flexibility.
Experience: 5+ years
Education: None

I'm a freelance/contract worker for 4-7 clients at a time, typically. I do web content, blog posts, copywriting, content marketing and a bit of SEO. I bill at a variable per-word or per-project rate, which typically works out to $40-$100+ an hour depending on what I'm working on (average seems to be $60ish). Also do some freelance editing at $60/hr. I'm staying busy and demand is increasing, so I'll likely negotiate higher rates with existing clients come January, targeting a ~$75/hr average range.

I work 15-25 hours a week typically. A super busy week might be 30 hours. I feel very fortunate to be in this position as I don't think I could handle a 40 hour 9 to 5 job. I've always been self-employed in one way or another. I suppose if I worked harder I could make a lot more money, but at this point in my life I am happy with my income and work/life balance. I also struggle to work more than 5 or 6 hours a day because my quality of work and creativity go way down after the 4-5 hour mark.

While this situation sounds pretty rosy (it is), it wasn't always this way. I started at maybe $10 an hour and slowly worked my way up. Also, just last year my main client at the time sold his network of sites with no warning, leaving me essentially out of work for a month. I've since learned to diversify with lots of clients, and obviously I need to keep a larger emergency fund than the average salaried worker.

There are lots of pros and cons to the freelance lifestyle, but I like it. Any other freelancers here?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 05:20:53 PM by FreelanceToFreedom »

albireo13

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #665 on: July 10, 2018, 05:29:44 PM »
Title: Senior R&D HW Engineer (Analog)
Salary: $150K + annual bonus (5-8%)
Experience: 39 yrs
Education: BSEE + MSEE

Have been working at a large MegaCorp on medical equipment development for the last 33yrs.   Hoping to retire in < 2 yrs.
Still have 2 kids in college.

SoBurntImCharred

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #666 on: July 12, 2018, 01:03:53 PM »
Job Title: UPS Driver
Salary: $96,000.00 + ( benefits, pension)
Years’ experience: 4 years
Fake news. Good troll, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #667 on: July 13, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »
Job Title: UPS Driver
Salary: $96,000.00 + ( benefits, pension)
Years’ experience: 4 years
Fake news. Good troll, though.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Based on the couple of friends I have who drive for UPS (and are Teamster-represented), the salary and benefits are spot-on.  UPS is know for good pay and benefits, even down to part-time employees who work on the loading docks at their air/freight terminals.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #668 on: July 14, 2018, 11:18:10 AM »

Side Gig:
Salary: $25/hour for interaction on social media, $100/article - about $1,500/month

$120k/year for 3 years experience seems like an awful lot for that amount of experience. How did you get into your current role and what would you recommend for people looking to get into your field?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #669 on: July 14, 2018, 04:36:21 PM »

Side Gig:

$120k/year for 3 years experience seems like an awful lot for that amount of experience. How did you get into your current role and what would you recommend for people looking to get into your field?

$40/hr isn’t a ton. It doesn’t take much OT to hit 120k. When I was 26 and worked in quality I made 120k, at 27 I made 192k, at 28 I made 240k. I only have an associates degree.

That being said, I typically work a lot more hours than most people here.

Blackbeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #670 on: July 15, 2018, 06:21:49 PM »
Plant Operations- for the next 8 weeks until I FIRE.
$230k plus 20-40% bonus, 8% 401k match, stock options
18 yrs experience
BS Chemical Engineering

clutchy

• Bristles
« Reply #671 on: July 17, 2018, 01:46:51 PM »
Controller (CPA)
$165K
10 yrs. experience
late 30's.

DataFientist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #672 on: July 17, 2018, 09:57:24 PM »
Title: Associate (Data Analytics)
Salary: 90K with 10-15K annual bonus
Experience: 1 year
Education: Bachelor's in Economics

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #673 on: July 17, 2018, 10:39:20 PM »
Associate (Attorney), 4th year
$250k plus $60k bonus
Education = J.D.

This is total BS, by the way.  While I will probably bill over 2100 hours this year (so not a cake-walk), I honestly don't think I deserve to be paid this much based on how challenging the job is.  Then again, I do think I deserve it for hazard pay for the shit I have to deal with.  Still, if you have a high level of tolerance for dealing with shit, and you can get scholarships to pay for tuition at a T14 law school (do NOT end up with $200k in student loans for chrissakes!) - you should go, and work for BigLaw for a few years, make a ton of money then peace out. They are only paying us this much because they want to "keep up with the Joneses" (i.e. other top BigLaw firms) and I don't think it has anything to do with what value we bring.  I'm pretty sure I still cost them more than the value they get out of me, especially because my practice area doesn't bill very high.  If I didn't mind shit-dealing, I'd stay and milk this for all it's worth...

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #674 on: July 18, 2018, 05:44:52 PM »
Associate (Attorney), 4th year
$250k plus $60k bonus
Education = J.D.

So similar to software engineers in Big tech! We get slightly higher comp and lower hours. I'll also FIRE (at least temporarily) after 4 soul-crushing years straight out of school.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #675 on: July 19, 2018, 04:29:37 AM »
Title: Assistant Professor
Experience: 25 years
Certificates: BS Finance, MS National Resource Strategy
Salary: $160K between base pay and allowances

My title is misleading.  I'm a Navy Officer (06) with 25 years.  I'm currently teaching at one of the War Colleges for my last tour.  My career has been mainly flying helicopters with enough staff work (desk jobs) to ensure I enjoyed the helicopter flying parts more.
Update, My new title is Retired and I make $93K a year for walking to the mailbox.  Oops, don't have to do that,  I have direct deposit.  Life is good!

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #676 on: July 19, 2018, 05:57:06 AM »
Title: Principal Data Scientist
Salary: $160k + $10-$20k bonus
Education: PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology + self-taught programming/ML/DL
Experience: 5 years in I/O + 2 years in Data Science

Work remotely in a low cost of living area. It’s funny being one of the few I/Os with a strong DS skill set as many I/O firms are attempting to incorporate the power of ML/DL into their products. I definitely got very lucky.

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #677 on: July 19, 2018, 12:24:33 PM »
Education: PhD in Industrial/Organizational Psychology + self-taught programming/ML/DL

Work remotely in a low cost of living area. It’s funny being one of the few I/Os with a strong DS skill set as many I/O firms are attempting to incorporate the power of ML/DL into their products. I definitely got very lucky.

Did you start remote at this company or did you transition to remote? How did you find this job?

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #678 on: July 19, 2018, 03:08:54 PM »

Did you start remote at this company or did you transition to remote? How did you find this job?

I did start remotely, but again a bit more luck. I worked with them on the client side in my original role, then moved within my large company into a research technology role. I had a great working relationship with them and they saw through our national membership group that I was becoming one one of the more well known I/Os implementing machine learning techniques, so the relationship was already there and I technically wasn’t a direct client to them although my organization still is/was, so we chatted a bit and they convinced me to move over to the consulting world in an R&D capacity, but I told them we weren’t in a position to move right now, so that was my one stipulation.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: July 19, 2018, 04:01:23 PM »
Looking at teachers' salaries, am I the only one who thinks they are seriously underpaid?

I think it varies a lot, but my teacher friends are most certainly not underpaid.  Where I live in CA, starting salary with a Master's is about $55-60k, and with 15 or so years experience it's in the high $90s, with the option (at least at times) to work 6 hours instead of 5 and bump that to $110k or so.  That doesn't include the extremely generous retirement/retiree health care benefits that are part of the reason that so many local and state budgets are breaking.

That's for approximately half of the work hours I have as an office drone (summers, 3 weeks off in winter, thanksgiving week, spring break, 15 holidays, early-out days, normal 5-hour work schedule + lunch, etc).  There's also very little chance of job loss, even if performing poorly.

I'd say it's a slightly different story for the starting teacher who has to put in a lot of extra hours preparing course material and grading, with no tenure, etc.  I know there are downsides as well.  However, in California, underpaid they are not.  The most powerful state employee union in the country probably has something to do with that.

Btag84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • CPA
« Reply #680 on: July 21, 2018, 06:07:27 AM »
Controller, a CPA, at a small public company
A moderate cost of living area in the Midwest
Salary: $108k base with 10% bonus
Experience: 6 years in public, 4 years in financial reporting and technical accounting.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #681 on: July 21, 2018, 12:57:20 PM »
Title: Global Head of Marketing (actual title is more specific, so this is the generic version)
Education: undergrad in professional writing/business, MBA
Salary: I believe the math works out to be about $250K salary, $80K bonus, $170K stock. Total comp last year (highest ever for me) was $500K gross
Experience: 20+ years in tech, 10+ years in my particular area
ETA education
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 01:00:50 PM by MaybeBabyMustache »

Lanthiriel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #682 on: July 22, 2018, 11:22:46 AM »
Me
Title: Proposal Manager
Salary: $61,000
Experience: 7 years
Education: BA English, MS Writing/Publishing

Husband
Title: Staff Engineer (Geotechnical EIT)
Salary: $58,000 + OT
Experience: 2 years
Education: BS Civil Engineering

Update to keep the hope alive for all of you English majors and anyone dealing with a layoff. My husband was laid off 6 months after I made my first post, and we had to sell everything and move 2500 miles away. Thankfully it seems to have worked out for us.

Me
Title: Marketing Manager
Salary: $85,000
Experience: 9+ years
Education: BA English, MS Writing/Publishing

Husband
Title: Staff Engineer (Geotechnical EIT)
Salary: $68,000 + OT
Experience: 3+ years
Education: BS Civil Engineering

Odin Force

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #683 on: July 22, 2018, 02:44:01 PM »
Title: Police Officer
Salary: $62,000
Experience: 17 years
Education: BS- Communication, minor in Business

6% of my salary gets deducted from each paycheck for the pension.
5% 401k contribution provided by the state w/o the employee having to put in anything. (Not a bad deal)

Skyward

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #684 on: July 22, 2018, 08:36:49 PM »
Title: Sr. Claims Adjuster
Salary: $91000
Experience: 24 years
Education: BS

Company car so I haven't owned a vehicle since my mid-twenties. I pay a minimal amount for personal use tax. Looking forward to buying the vehicle I want in retirement.

Raymond Reddington

• Stubble
  • "The Concierge of Cash"
« Reply #685 on: July 23, 2018, 12:24:29 AM »
Title: Supervisor (actual title is more specific, but won't necessarily mean anything to most of you)
Salary: ~$95,000, with low cost healthcare (~$1,200/yr for me and my wife)
Experience: 2 years current title, 7 years with org.
Education: BS-Accountacy

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #686 on: July 23, 2018, 05:54:56 AM »
Dang. Are there any middle class Mustachians? Or are we truly a dying breed like what’s been trending?

Between my 3 incomes, I cobble together around $50k take-home (about $60k gross)

30s, BA English, minor Education

Net:
Job 1 - health insurance bill processor ($37k)
Job 2 - Part time conservation educator at a zoo (varies...around $6k)
Rental/housemate rent ($8k; we share the property and they manage it as well as pay all utilities, including any I accrue when I’m there, which isn’t often)

I hope to increase my income through more rental properties (I would charge a much higher rate though).

My decision to stop working full time, will be based on rental income and  property values vs “stache”. When you don’t earn much, sometimes you've got to play a different game.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 07:46:11 AM by Lmoot »

lavagirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #687 on: July 23, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »
Title: Associate (Data Analytics)
Salary: 90K with 10-15K annual bonus
Experience: 1 year
Education: Bachelor's in Economics

Can you share what kind of education or knowledge one needs to work in data analytics?

Eco_eco

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Nineteen-Six.com
« Reply #688 on: September 13, 2018, 04:10:06 AM »
Title: Programme Director / Senior Manager
Salary: 180k plus 3% superannuation
Years expirence: 2. This is my second career (Coast FI strictly 9-5 job). My first career was in Human Resources, project management and corporate strategy
Qualifications: BA and Masters, lots of professional quals

My wife:
Title: Primary school teacher
Salary: 80k
Years expirence: 15+
Quals: Bachelors of Teaching, Masters of Lingustics

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #689 on: September 13, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
Dang. Are there any middle class Mustachians? Or are we truly a dying breed like what’s been trending?

Between my 3 incomes, I cobble together around $50k take-home (about $60k gross)

30s, BA English, minor Education

Net:
Job 1 - health insurance bill processor ($37k)
Job 2 - Part time conservation educator at a zoo (varies...around $6k)
Rental/housemate rent ($8k; we share the property and they manage it as well as pay all utilities, including any I accrue when I’m there, which isn’t often)

I hope to increase my income through more rental properties (I would charge a much higher rate though).

My decision to stop working full time, will be based on rental income and  property values vs “stache”. When you don’t earn much, sometimes you've got to play a different game.

Husband and I are. Together we gross $75-80K (I’m self-employed so it varies). Believe me, I hear you. The longer I spend on these forms, the more out of place I feel.

BTW, your part-time job sounds awesome!

beer-man

• Stubble
« Reply #690 on: September 13, 2018, 06:52:39 AM »
Nurse- $31hr base
             $45-$50 with all the stipends(nights/.     
crit care/supervisor,weekend)
7yrs experience

$110k base
 $130-$140 with 1 day OT weekly
OT is plentiful but not required, work is challenging at times but satisfying, good work environment/coworkers

Former career was firefighter which paid around $80k  with all incentives
  Not a good work environment, hard work when there was a fire otherwise just sitting around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dacalo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #691 on: September 14, 2018, 01:49:50 PM »
Title: Work in accounting (keeping in general)
Salary: $145k plus bonus and equity
Experience:  Worked in both public accounting with Big4 and industry, combined around 15 years
Education: BS in Sociology (!!) and accounting units for CPA

CPYay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #692 on: September 14, 2018, 03:13:16 PM »
Industry accounting
$125K plus bonus
Transitioned to accounting in late 20's.

Question for other accountants: I got my CPA in industry. Zero public experience. Lately, most job postings say "public experience required" and this is preventing me from getting interviews for jobs I easily qualify for otherwise. It's too late for me to go public at this point. Any recommendations to overcome this? Or is this just something I'll have to deal with?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #693 on: September 14, 2018, 03:34:59 PM »
Industry general ledger accounting, mid level (non-supervisor, non-management) in the greater Philadelphia area, $95K + a small bonus (a few grand?).  About 15 years experience, no interest in climbing past my current rank.

Curious if the accountants that posted just before me are supervisors or if I'm underpaid.  I actually I thought I was paid decently for a senior accountant. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 03:37:13 PM by catccc »

CPYay

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #694 on: September 14, 2018, 05:11:28 PM »
@ catccc

You're doing pretty well for a Sr. Accountant. I live in a HCOL area and was making $80K with no additional compensation when I was a Sr.

I'm currently in a supervisory role, albeit for a small and growing company. My team is very small, so my responsibilities are very broad in scope.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 05:13:02 PM by CPYay »

comicguy

• Stubble
« Reply #695 on: September 15, 2018, 04:21:36 AM »
Title: Special Education Teacher
Salary: 66,000
Experience:  12 years in district (14 years total)
                   Formally: Owned own business (6 years)
                                 Construction/warehouse (5 years)
                                 Retail Management (4 years)
Education: BS social studies 7-12 and MS Special Education 7-12

Erica

• Bristles
  • Married
« Reply #696 on: September 15, 2018, 04:57:05 PM »
Title: Supportive Living Supervisor
(transitional housing for those deemed criminally insane. Mental institutions are closing)
Salary: $21K yr
Shift: One 24 hr shift per wk (6-7 hrs asleep in bed at night while on call)

Husband
Title: Contractor
Salary $18k yr
Work p/t for a little over half the year

Current benefits:
$40 a mo deducted provides us both
100K/50K life insurance
ad&d policy
accident policy
dental policy-2k ea. yr
eye policy
drug plan
health policy, no cost, for myself only

We live cheaply in a small town surrounded by National Forest.  Touristy Town with over 50% vacation homes.
A town known for it's Mtn Biking races is just 30 min away. Our life revolves around cycling, hiking, tai chi, vegetable gardening, having friends over for dinner and vice versa.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 12:23:26 AM by Erica »

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #697 on: September 15, 2018, 05:23:58 PM »
Couple years after last update, pay has went up substaintually.... Things are changing in my industry... Cloud developer, broke 500k this year in total comp for the first time between two jobs (1 full time, one side hustle) in this space.

Many companies are tired of hiring tech employees that do not fit their traditional business, they are outsourcing most of their servers and work to major cloud companies.

The cloud companies are paying insane to retain cloud developers as it is a massive land grab right now for the big (5? maybe) companies. If you are looking for something paying insanely well, learn Salesforce, AWS, Azure, or google cloud.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 05:32:22 PM by effigy98 »

Apple_Tango

• Bristles
« Reply #698 on: September 15, 2018, 09:14:41 PM »
As part of my job I get to see the salaries that other people make. WOW the money is incredible in the DC area, that's all I have to say. The most I've seen so far is in the mid six figures with annual bonuses also in the six figure range on top of that. And I have to keep a straight face and not let my jaw hit the floor sometimes. I just think to myself that all I would need to do is have somewhere around 2-5 years of work with that salary and I could retire forever!

GUNDERSON

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #699 on: September 16, 2018, 10:39:47 AM »
Title: Supportive Living Supervisor
(transitional housing for those deemed criminally insane. Mental institutions are closing)
Salary: $21K yr
Shift: One 24 hr shift per wk (6-7 hrs asleep in bed at night while on call)

this sounds like a fascinating job. Can you say a little more about what it's like?