Author Topic: What's your job title and how much do you earn?  (Read 348389 times)

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What's your job title and how much do you earn?
« Reply #600 on: June 27, 2017, 11:23:40 AM »
I'm a repair and maintenance technician at a semiconductor company.
Salary is 100k including bonuses.  Add another couple of grand for the ESPP, and about 3k for the 401k match
7 weeks PTO
I work a compressed shift, 3 days one week, 4 days the next, 12 hours per day.
Associate degree.

We also have rental properties netting about 24k per year.

Do tell! I got a BA in English and only make a fraction of that. I went to community college first, but apparently I should have gotten an AS and stopped there instead of an AA and going on to a university. What exactly was your associates in?
I'm guessing engineering technology of some sort.

Good, experienced, qualified semiconductor repair and maintenance technicians and engineers can be really hard to find.  And they are worth their weight in gold.  Platinum if they *also* don't have weird personality quirks or attitudes.

(I'm in semiconductors.  Was a fab process engineer for a couple of decades.)

For about 30 years I worked for a company that started out as Texas Instruments, then morphed into a joint venture and then the partner bought it out completely.  We made the raw wafers that IC's are built on.  Over the years I became the company expert on several pieces of equipment and was proficient in all of them.  This allowed me to travel the world occasionally troubleshooting LPCVD and APCVD processes. 

Eventually, I was asked to move to Malaysia for a year to assist in the startup of a new fab.   The first day I walked into that huge cleanroom, I called my boss and told him our days in Texas were numbered.   There was no way the company was going to spend half a billion dollars on new equipment when it existed in Texas.  6 months later they announced we were closing.  I spent another year travelling back and forth every few weeks, and then spent one more solid year in Malaysia until they were on their feet.

Now I work for a front end fab in Richardson.   Having a bit of trouble transitioning from being "THE GUY" to just another tech.  I don't have enough years left to achieve that kind of expertise again.  My FIRE goal is about this time next year.  I never want to worry about angstroms again.
Yeah, we shut our fab down except for some development work.  Using an overseas foundry now.  I moved into more of data analysis/ project management roles when the other work dried up.  I prefer the fab, but that's just not my reality anymore. 

Have a few friends in the Dallas area, still working the business.

JackieTreehorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #601 on: June 29, 2017, 10:19:51 AM »
Title: Assistant Actuary
Salary+Bonus: 120k + 3% 401k match + decent pension
Experience: 10 years
Education: B.S. Mathematics

HCOL area

sea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #602 on: July 02, 2017, 02:39:15 PM »
Title: Senior Data Analyst
Salary: around $73K for 36 hours per week / small bonus / excellent benefits including a 7.5% match and around a month of PTO
Location: Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA (1.2% higher COL than national average)
Experience: 10 years in my industry
Education:  Some college not related to field.  Mostly, I'm autodidactic and learned the rest on the job.

londonbanker

• Bristles
« Reply #603 on: August 12, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
Not sure whether the sample of respondants is representative of the forum population, but the average income seems to be well above the US national average... which could simply prove that mustachians are disciples of self improvement, and as a result command higher level of remuneration... or simply more college educated (hence the familiarity w finance matters in general) commanding higher wages...

Just an observation really.

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
« Reply #604 on: August 12, 2017, 12:08:29 PM »
Not sure whether the sample of respondants is representative of the forum population, but the average income seems to be well above the US national average... which could simply prove that mustachians are disciples of self improvement, and as a result command higher level of remuneration... or simply more college educated (hence the familiarity w finance matters in general) commanding higher wages...

I've make the same observation on every forum I've ever been on, no matter the topic.

On the student doctor network forums, the average MCAT score was probably 32-33 (national average around 25). Average USMLE Step I and II scores were probably 240, national average is about 218-220. Self-selection and, for ex. people who earn a lot, are more likely to post about it. If you saw this thread and earn $20K a year.. very easy to just move on ;)

GenXbiker

• Bristles
« Reply #605 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:03 PM »
Another thing - don't believe everything you read on the internet.  You can be whoever you want to be online.  Not that anyone on MMM forum would stretch anything, though.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 02:12:09 PM by GenXbiker »

gerardc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #606 on: August 12, 2017, 12:13:27 PM »

I only came on this forum after I started making appreciable money, and prospects of FIRE suddenly entered the realm of possibilities. When I was making $30k/year, I wasn't thinking of FIREing at all, understandably.

Granted, I was already hardworking, disciplined and frugal back then, but it was more by necessity than by choice.

WhiteTrashCash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: August 12, 2017, 12:27:04 PM »
I'm self-employed and I earn $5000/mo selling sexy selfies online. Here comes the smoulder. Blue Steel! [/sarcasm]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 12:53:34 PM by WhiteTrashCash »

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
« Reply #608 on: August 12, 2017, 12:29:28 PM »
Title: Military Physician
Salary: ~$170K W-2 (including taxable and non-taxable portion) + ~$35K income from investments
Experience: 6 years as M.D.
Education:  ~13 years of training, college = $5K per year, medical school = free
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 12:48:48 AM by Re3iRtH »

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #609 on: August 12, 2017, 01:24:49 PM »
Job Title: Vice President, but that's more of a rank or pay grade at an investment bank than a real executive position
Salary: $175k base, $100k target bonus, $3k/year to my pension. There's also a 5% 401k match and an ESPP which I won't qualify for if I make over $250k.
Years Experience: 15, BS in computer science

I'm only a few months into this job, so I don't yet know how variable the bonuses tend to be. I've heard they rarely fire people, but if they don't want you around your bonus will be tiny and you'll probably just quit on your own. I started the job in June, and I was told the $100k number is what I can expect for this year, but it's not clear then if that's a pro-rated amount and I might get a similar bonus next year for the entire year, or if it'll go up to something closer to my actual base salary. Hoping for the latter, obviously.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:25:35 PM by alexpkeaton »

Lan Mandragoran

• Bristles
« Reply #610 on: August 12, 2017, 01:46:03 PM »
Ouch need to raise my monies.

62.5 salary, 5k bonus to hsa, 2.5% match 401k, 20% of salary ya pension

Sys admin 5 years experience ~

Any other sys admins :)?

Lance Hiruma

• Stubble
« Reply #611 on: August 12, 2017, 04:03:21 PM »
I wonder how accurate the posted data is.
Is Glassdoor misstating?

Btag84

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • CPA
« Reply #612 on: August 12, 2017, 08:58:47 PM »
Title: Corporate Controller
Salary: $105,000
Experience: 6 years public, 2.5 years in SEC reporting at a large bank and 1.5 years in technical accounting role.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #613 on: August 12, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
Title: Associate Attorney
Salary: $65,000 + bonus
Experience: <1 year

I feel like I'm doing it wrong...

Re3iRtH

• Stubble
« Reply #614 on: August 13, 2017, 12:05:30 AM »

How so, you're above the median USA income.

By the way, have you ever seen the show "Suits"? Quite entertaining..

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #615 on: August 13, 2017, 05:42:37 AM »

I'm always quite surprised by the massive incomes too. I'm from Europe, and I get the impression from this forum that people earn a lot more in the US, but then on the other hand all we hear about in the news in my country is widespread poverty in the US. I read about a nurse earning nearly $100.000 in this thread, in my country that would be more like what a doctor would earn. A nurse starts at about €23000 and will not earn more than €40000. It's probably a very select group of people that are interested in FIRE, and of course not everything on the internet is real.

Job title: Finance employee  - I work for a small company and my boss doesn't like fancy job titles
Degree: LLB
Experience: 4 years (in finance)
Salary: €34500 / fulltime before taxes with 5 weeks of paid leave and paid leave on all official holidays. No pension. Contractual bonus if the company makes an x amount of profit: €2640/fulltime before taxes

In my country, this is a pretty good salary for someone with my age, experience and degree. Average income is about €36500 with 4 weeks of paid leave, so to be able to earn that average income with only a few years experience in your field is quite good. In here, a law degree is not really financially lucrative since it's one of the most common degrees, and to practice in law you need a Master's degree, not a Bachelor's. I had a few jobs in finance while in college and for financial reasons I decided to pursue a career in that field for now.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: August 13, 2017, 02:39:00 PM »

In here, a law degree is not really financially lucrative since it's one of the most common degrees, and to practice in law you need a Master's degree, not a Bachelor's. I had a few jobs in finance while in college and for financial reasons I decided to pursue a career in that field for now.

In the US a law degree is a doctorate degree (J.D.)

3mNewb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #617 on: August 13, 2017, 03:23:23 PM »
Title: Associate Professor
Experience: 14 years (after 11 years of post-secondary education/training)
Salary: $110,000 (plus 10% to 403b absent any contribution from me)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: August 13, 2017, 07:01:18 PM »

You're doing better than the Attorney that I know on the West Coast (Portland) in a HCOL area. She had to work for herself for years to get a salaried gig and when she did it was for a highly questionable boss where she was always questioning whether to call the state bar to report him.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #619 on: August 13, 2017, 07:02:58 PM »
Title: Lead Software Engineer
Salary: $125,000 + 4% 401(k) match + bonus (5~8%) + benefits
Experience: 10+ years
Education: BS in Computer Science
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:09:07 PM by PDXTabs »

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #620 on: August 15, 2017, 03:35:26 AM »
I'm always quite surprised by the massive incomes too. I'm from Europe, and I get the impression from this forum that people earn a lot more in the US, but then on the other hand all we hear about in the news in my country is widespread poverty in the US.
Having worked in France, Japan, and the US, I can anecdotally say that salaries in the US are much higher than what I've seen in Europe for equivalent jobs (if you don't count "minimal wage" types of jobs).

However this is "compensated" in the US by their terribly expensive healthcare system (one of the main reasons we ended up leaving the country this year), cost of life in the areas where you can make such insane salaries, and the general lack of social safety net. From my (anecdotal!) observations, you can make a lot of money in the US, but if you're not careful or are just unlucky, you can also end up spending a lot.

There's also obviously a survivor bias here on MMM: it's much easier to consider becoming FI (and therefore join such a site) when you make an above-average salary.

jlcnuke

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #621 on: August 15, 2017, 05:50:14 AM »
Job Title: Senior Technical Writer
Salary: ~$87k base, +$15-40k OT +4.5% 401k match + benefits
Years’ experience: 9 years in this position, 21 in this industry/related.
Education: Military to start/get the position, though I currently have a BS in Business with a concentration in finance.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:41:04 AM by jlcnuke »

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #622 on: August 15, 2017, 06:05:59 AM »
Title: Mechanical Designer (Hydro business)
Salary: 60K$ + 4% match, 3 weeks vacations, great insurance
Experience: 11 months
Education: Mechanical engineering degree

gluskap

• Stubble
    • Money Savvy Mommy
« Reply #623 on: August 15, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Job title: Senior Director of R&D
Degree: BS in Biochemistry, MS in Biochemistry
Experience: 16 years in the industry
Salary: $135k/year + $3500 bonus this year

I think people that tend to reply to these posts tend to be the ones that make more.  I'm sure there are others lurking that make less but probably not as interested in posting?  It took me a long time to get to what I'm making now so am proud of it.

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #624 on: August 15, 2017, 02:52:53 PM »
I think people that tend to reply to these posts tend to be the ones that make more.  I'm sure there are others lurking that make less but probably not as interested in posting?  It took me a long time to get to what I'm making now so am proud of it.

I suppose it is a bit of a dick measuring contest. Though one reason I like threads like this is that people can be honest. I actually don't want to tell people I know in real life how much I make. But randos on the internet? Sure!

HogFin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #625 on: August 15, 2017, 03:31:16 PM »
Job Title: Sr. Associate Consultant - Executive Compensation
Degree: BS, Finance
Experience: 2.5yr in current role.  <1 yr Public Accounting
Salary: $82K
Bonus: Guaranteed 15%. Max 17.5%
Other: ESPP and 6.5% 401k match on 7% contribution

Actual job responsibilities: I pretty much tell my clients how much to pay their executives.  My company also does employee pay work though below the executive level.  For those of you referencing Glassdoor and Salary.com, generally these are misleading as there's no true verification for these numbers and often the sample sizes are insufficient to get a true idea of market competitive pay.

Vibrissae

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #626 on: August 15, 2017, 06:34:09 PM »
Job title: Senior Production Editor
Degree: BA, double major in English and Art History
Experience: 10 years at current job; 23 years total in editorial work
Salary ~$51K (pre-tax) + $2,500 to my HSA

avocado lime

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
I haven't seen anyone in my industry in the forum yet!

Title: Assistant Property Manager
Salary: $42,000
Degree: International Business
Years of Real Estate Experience: 6 1/2 (5 in residential)
Expired Real Estate License - don't need it for my job

I'm in commercial property management as an assistant manager. I make $42k with 20 days of PTO (yay!) and no other benefits (boo!) and it's no fun. I used to work in residential RE managing single family homes and small multiplexes before I moved to a bigger city and boy do I miss it!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:30:22 PM by avocado lime »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: August 15, 2017, 08:38:15 PM »

Actual job responsibilities: I pretty much tell my clients how much to pay their executives.  My company also does employee pay work though below the executive level.  For those of you referencing Glassdoor and Salary.com, generally these are misleading as there's no true verification for these numbers and often the sample sizes are insufficient to get a true idea of market competitive pay.

HogFin, do you ever get amazed about the salary you propose?   I understand the idea of market competitive pay, but boggle at what that level is at. edit to shorten (savescreenspace)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 05:14:21 AM by markbike528CBX »

HogFin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: August 16, 2017, 05:45:45 AM »

HogFin, do you ever get amazed about the salary you propose?   I understand the idea of market competitive pay, but boggle at what that level is at.

Oh absolutely.  Although it's generally not the salary that i'm amazed at but the bonus and equity value levels.   The thing is though, there are multiple factors that people don't take into consideration when they see a "CEO total compensation number". 
First: I work a lot with pharmaceutical companies and many of these executives are doctors who either developed these drugs themselves or had a large hand in it.  These drugs then go on to help a lot of people and in many cases save lifes... so who's to say what that person's contribution is worth?
Second: The "total compensation" number is often misleading.  The vast majority of these executives are being paid via variable pay (bonuses and equity).  Especially with stock options the value that gets disclosed in public filings is not the value that the executive is actually receiving after you account for the option strike prices, volatility in the market, taxes, etc. 

I'm in no way saying that every one of these high paid executive compensation packages is justified, just that there are additional factors that a lot of people don't take into consideration.

L2

• Stubble
« Reply #630 on: August 17, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
Job Title: Tax Manager - Regional Public Accounting
Experience: ~ 4 years
Salary: 78k, expecting an annual raise to ~82k in November.
Other: 3% 401k match, profit-sharing, but I just started here a few months ago so I have no idea what to expect.

I'm located in Ohio and started out my career at a much larger firm. Took a promotion and 22% raise to come to the new place. A ton more flexibility is also a plus. Its sort of unfortunate, but it seems the only way to really get market rate is to jump ship, at least in accounting.

Northstar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #631 on: August 17, 2017, 12:25:45 PM »
Job title: Restaurateur/ Landlord/ Entrepreneur
Experience: ~10 yrs. began washing dishes at 17, purchased my first restaurant at 21, purchased first rental property at 25, opened 2 sporting goods stores at 25.
Salary: +- 300k

Currently have 7 free and clear rentals, producing aroind 60k per year, sold the sporting goods stores last year and the rest of my income is from my business. I've been planing to retire before 30 for some time now as I live comfortably on around 30k per year and can cut that down if need be, although it will be hard to unwind from years of stress filled work, I'm very excited and grateful for the opportunity to experience early retirement and glad to be in a place to discuss with like minded people. Planning to work until 30, to insure a nice nest egg in addition to passive rental income, I'll get my realestate license before retirement to dabble in that a little to wind down.

Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #632 on: August 17, 2017, 12:46:23 PM »
Title: Software Developer
Salary: C$82k (~ US$65k)
Other: 5 weeks paid vacation
Experience: 15 years
Education: BSc

I feel I am lucky to have such a salary, but then when I look at the salaries others have posted, and at much younger ages, mine does not seem so great.

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #633 on: August 22, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
My Job Title: SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 1 year
Salary: 72k + ~10% bonus + $750 HSA contribution + 2.5% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth

Cost of living from this chart is 99.2/100, so very average cost of living area.

Started at 71k, got a raise a couple months in as a thanks for being awesome ;)

My manager says I will be getting a promotion in the next round (February) even though it typically takes 3-4 years. Should come with about a 10% raise.

The work environment is awesome. Really laid back and supportive. Take as much vacation as you want policy with no keeping track of work, sick, and vacation hours, etc. I would have to get a super big raise to consider working elsewhere.

DW Job Title: RN
Salary: ~70k + small pension + 2% 403b match
Experience: 5 years
Education: BS in Dietetics, BS in Nursing

She started out getting a degree in dietetics but that didn't work out due to requiring an internship to get certified and there not being enough to go around (something that if she had known me prior to starting the program she would have thoroughly looked into and chosen something different or studied harder). Went back after the Dietetics degree and did an accelerated BSN program and now is very happy.

Updating because I just got a promotion and a 15% raise!!!!

My Job Title: Senior SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 1.5 years
Salary: $83,000 + 10% bonus target + $750 HSA contribution + 3% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth
San Francisco Salary: $198,578 (my city is 101.4 on CoL Index)

Was a weird year. We bought out another big company, my project got cancelled and we were in flux for awhile, and then my manager quit abruptly and it took 6+ months to replace him.

Only got a 3.5% raise this year, but also was granted ~$17k in RSUs that vest over 4 years. Not sure what to think of the golden handcuffs, will have to cross that bridge if I ever think about leaving.

Experience: 2.5 years
Salary: $~86,000 + 10% bonus target + $750 HSA contribution + 3% 401k match + ~$17k RSU + whatever ESPP ends up being worth
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:30:07 PM by Gronnie »

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #634 on: August 22, 2017, 11:04:06 AM »
Title: Salesforce Administrator
Salary: $82k + 10% bonus
Experience: 3 years
Education: BS Engineering Physics

An update upon getting my new position. I'm about a year of experience short of a major title change (Salesforce Architect), so hopefully, I can get that through my new job.

Title: Salesforce Administrator
Salary: $85k + 10%
Experience: 4 years

Roboturner

• Pencil Stache
  • No Snacks, Just Math
« Reply #635 on: August 22, 2017, 11:41:09 AM »
Title: Reservoir Engineer
Experience: 1 yr industry, 2.5 yr research
Education: BS / MS
Salary: $80k-100k

Update upon some raises over the last couple yrs

Title: Reservoir Engineer
Experience: 3.5 yr industry, 2.5 yr research
Education: BS/MS
Salary: $121k + 20% cash bonus + 20% RSU bonus + 6% 401k match
Area: MCOL
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 04:45:47 PM by Roboturner »

gsd802

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #636 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:14 PM »
Dairy Farm Herd Manager

Education:  2 year Associate Degree + continual meetings
Experience: 11 years
Salary: $57,200/annual + free housing with 1 acre land.
Bonuses:  Award bonuses + Christmas (About $1,200) 3% match 401k
Hours:  85/week. 6.5 days a week. 20 days vacation

I am amazed to see some of these salaries. Never knew there were jobs that paid so much!

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #637 on: August 22, 2017, 04:45:48 PM »
Senior Internal Auditor

Education:  MS-Accounting, CPA
Experience: 4 years
Salary: $68,000
Bonuses: 4% match 401k
Hours:  55/week average but really depends on week to week. Travel 30% of time.

We are currently really understaffed at my level and having trouble replacing 2 senior spots. I came from a no leverage place in my current role so I feel I'm below market value. After these spots are filled (I'm guessing $75k) I'm hoping for either fair comp conversations since I will be more experienced and took on larger responsibilities to cover for these empty positions. If not, I will probably test the market as that seems to be the going rate for someone in my role and experience.

ETA: I've discovered FI at a good time as my salary jumped from $60k to $68k this year and possible jump next year. I was lucky enough to get in this
mind set as the raise was taking effect and made it so the entire pay jump went into my 401k. Hoping to max it out in 2018.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:48:15 PM by martyconlonontherun »

Gone_Hiking

• Stubble
« Reply #638 on: August 22, 2017, 10:36:52 PM »
Job Title: Requirements Engineer at a software company
Salary: $70 K.   Company 401(k) match: 4%.  No bonuses
Weekly hours: 40-42. 17 days of vacation, no rollover from year to year; 10 company holidays
Experience: 19 years
Education: M.S. Plant Breeding and Genetics,  PMP certification,  ACS ALS credentials from Toastmasters International

I started life as a molecular biologist, followed by computer programmer, followed by a project manager, followed by a layoff.  My current position is the post-layoff position and represents 40% salary cut from my previous job; on the plus side, I was without a paycheck for only three weeks, which allowed me to invest the severance pay and accelerate FI.  I've been on my current job for 6 months.  I'm working on increasing responsibilities and probing ways to get a raise

EconDiva

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #639 on: August 24, 2017, 09:51:28 AM »
Job title: Senior Director of R&D
Degree: BS in Biochemistry, MS in Biochemistry
Experience: 16 years in the industry
Salary: $135k/year + $3500 bonus this year

I assume you're in Big Pharma...?

SweetLife

• Bristles
« Reply #640 on: August 25, 2017, 10:55:17 AM »
Federal Government ... $70,000 + overtime if I want it (not this year but next year will start loading up so that i can retire faster!)

12 years so far ... next contract should bump me up to at least $73,000
Planning to retire in 8 years if all goes well lol...

Gronnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: July 05, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
My Job Title: SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 1 year
Salary: 72k + ~10% bonus + $750 HSA contribution + 2.5% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth

Cost of living from this chart is 99.2/100, so very average cost of living area.

Started at 71k, got a raise a couple months in as a thanks for being awesome ;)

My manager says I will be getting a promotion in the next round (February) even though it typically takes 3-4 years. Should come with about a 10% raise.

The work environment is awesome. Really laid back and supportive. Take as much vacation as you want policy with no keeping track of work, sick, and vacation hours, etc. I would have to get a super big raise to consider working elsewhere.

DW Job Title: RN
Salary: ~70k + small pension + 2% 403b match
Experience: 5 years
Education: BS in Dietetics, BS in Nursing

She started out getting a degree in dietetics but that didn't work out due to requiring an internship to get certified and there not being enough to go around (something that if she had known me prior to starting the program she would have thoroughly looked into and chosen something different or studied harder). Went back after the Dietetics degree and did an accelerated BSN program and now is very happy.

Updating because I just got a promotion and a 15% raise!!!!

Experience: 1.5 years
Salary: $83,000 + 10% bonus target + $750 HSA contribution + 3% 401k match + whatever ESPP ends up being worth
San Francisco Salary: $198,578 (my city is 101.4 on CoL Index)

Was a weird year. We bought out another big company, my project got cancelled and we were in flux for awhile, and then my manager quit abruptly and it took 6+ months to replace him.

Only got a 3.5% raise this year, but also was granted ~$17k in RSUs that vest over 4 years. Not sure what to think of the golden handcuffs, will have to cross that bridge if I ever think about leaving.

Experience: 2.5 years
Salary: $~86,000 + 10% bonus target + $750 HSA contribution + 3% 401k match + ~$17k RSU + whatever ESPP ends up being worth

Just took a job with a new company (along with a nice promotion), and will be moving from a MCOL area with a COL score of 99.2 to a HCOL area with a COL score of 146.4 (MN to Orange County, scores from this chart).

I think I am doing pretty well, as the job is 3 promotions above entry level out of college position and I only have 3.5 years of experience. This job would normally take 8+ years of experience to reach. As a result I am pretty sure my salary is near the lower end of the band, so plenty of room for growth even if I don't get any further promotions for a few years.

My Job Title: Staff SSD Firmware Engineer
Experience: 3.5 years
Salary: $135000 + 10% bonus target + $4000 401k match + ~26k RSU + whatever ESPP ends up being worth (15% discount, two year lock, can put in 15% of salary) -- I would say financial compensation is ~$175,000 annually.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:59:29 PM by Gronnie »

lexde

• Magnum Stache
What's your job title and how much do you earn?
« Reply #642 on: July 06, 2018, 05:56:59 AM »
Attorney in medium cost of living area.
70K + bonuses ($0-750/month; I get maybe 4-6 per year). Up from 65K last year. Second year in.
Also get a 3% safe harbor 401k contribution whether I contribute or not (I do, of course).

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #643 on: July 06, 2018, 05:58:31 AM »
Title: Software Developer
Salary: C$82k (~ US$65k)
Other: 5 weeks paid vacation
Experience: 15 years
Education: BSc

I feel I am lucky to have such a salary, but then when I look at the salaries others have posted, and at much younger ages, mine does not seem so great.
Comparison is the thief of joy. Read the first part of your sentence and stop there. Continue to be awesome.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #644 on: July 06, 2018, 06:45:58 AM »
Title: Systems Manager
Salary: $50k
Experience: 1 month
Education: "some college" (3 semesters, no degree)

A month into my new position at the same company I've been at since 2011 (basically took over IT after my former manager left) and I can definitely feel the impostor syndrome setting in.  Who put this idiot in charge?  Are they nuts!?

anondog999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #645 on: July 06, 2018, 07:11:21 AM »
I browsed through everything 2 years ago while grinding my way through university. I was amazed at how much people make.
I am not from the US, and I knew that the salaries in the software industry here are lower.

Fast forwarding to the present, I chose more $ and life balance in a huge corporate company, over interesting work (and mediocre $) at a startup

Title: Software Engineer
Salary: $71k , 10% yearly bonus, 8.5% pension matching, and $3k towards some sort of tax free IRA (this and the pension are mandatory for every job)
Experience: 0
Education: computer science, from a top university.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:13:46 AM by anondog999 »

Apocalyptica602

• Bristles
« Reply #646 on: July 06, 2018, 07:17:25 AM »
Title: Mechanical Engineer I
Salary: ~81k + bonus ~5k or so. Also getting $10k/year to take classes for my MBA.
Experience: 4.5 years
Education: Bachelors of Mech. Eng., MBA (In progress, started while working here)

Wife:
Title: Staff Pharmacist (retail)
Salary: ~125k + small bonus (~2k) + small stock bonus (~4k)
Experience: 3.5 years
Education: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) ~6 years of school

Updating:

Title: Process Engineer (switched companies, now in a mid-size biotechnology company)
Salary: 93K + ~10K Bonus + ~5-10k in stock options (not grants)
Experience ~7-8 years
Education: BS Mechanical Engineering, MBA (graduating in December)

I should probably be considered a 'Senior' Engineer at this point, but we don't really have that organizational structure defined yet, haha.

Wife:
Title: Staff Pharmacist (retail)
Salary: 134K + ~4K bonus
Experience: 6 years
Education: Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD)

Glitch

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #647 on: July 06, 2018, 10:03:10 AM »
Title: Software Engineer I
Salary: $81k + bonuses (~$12k)
Experience: 1.5 yrs
Education: Bachelor's in computer science

Mine is almost identical, but without bonuses.

Title: Software Engineer I
Salary: $80k
Experience: ~ 1 yr
Education: BS in computer science

Moved from one midwestern state to a slightly cheaper one and started at a new company.

Title: Software Developer II
Salary: $95k + bonus (~$5k)
Experience: ~4 yrs
Education: BS in computer science

New job also has 401k matching (3% with 2 yr vest) and profit sharing (6% into 401k with a 5 yr vesting period).

SpareChange

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #648 on: July 06, 2018, 11:10:57 AM »

In a mcol city.

Title: Radiologic Technologist (fancy words for, in my case, an x-ray tech)
Salary: $85-90k this year.
Experience: 7 years
Education: BA economics (not used lol), AAS radiologic technology.

403b match is 4.6% on a contribution of 4%.   

TSpacagna

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #649 on: July 06, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »
Title: Executive Assistant to CEO
Salary: $35,000
Experience: Current role for 6 months; 2yrs+ unpaid intern; unrelated work before that
Education: Bachelors and some extra nonsense classes

I help manage bands/content creators w/ a company in TX. Don't make much but negotiated a good raise over the last guy and seem to have established myself quite well so far. Networking opportunities are fantastic as well. Can be stressfull but I really do enjoy it and see growth and opportunity in the near future.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!