Author Topic: What's your favorite Mustachian "belly filler"?  (Read 24586 times)

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
Re: What's your favorite Mustachian "belly filler"?
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2015, 10:50:50 PM »
Scrambled eggs and sausage or an omelet made with anything I can find in the fridge, usually peppers, mushrooms or ham.  I keep ducks, so I don't have to buy the eggs...

My wife keeps a dozen-plus hens, so ditto here.  Free eggs are great! (And ours come in at least 4 different colors.)

What's so awesome is that your lovely hens have gotten rid of a bunch of bugs to make those beautiful free eggs too!

chemgeek

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
we like toasted steel cut oats with quinoa mixed in. Make a big batch and have easy breakfast all week. We customize by adding different fruits, nuts, maple syrup, brown sugar or cinnamon as desired.

http://www.thugkitchen.com/quinoa_oatmeal

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
Scrambled eggs and sausage or an omelet made with anything I can find in the fridge, usually peppers, mushrooms or ham.  I keep ducks, so I don't have to buy the eggs...

My wife keeps a dozen-plus hens, so ditto here.  Free eggs are great! (And ours come in at least 4 different colors.)

What's so awesome is that your lovely hens have gotten rid of a bunch of bugs to make those beautiful free eggs too!

True.  That's something I never considered.  And I guess the same goes for the 6 geese my wife also keeps.  (The only good tick is a dead tick, you know.)

m8547

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2015, 09:16:04 PM »
A side-by-side comparison of old fashioned vs. steel cut oats:
http://www.prevention.com/content/whats-healthier-steel-cut-oats-or-rolled-oats

That's an inaccurate comparison. If they have the same amount of fat, carbs, and protein then they have the same number of calories by definition. Plus, less sugar and low glycemic index are related, so they are double counting that. They are basically the same, so pick whichever one you prefer.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2015, 07:04:32 AM »
If by belly filler you mean a quick snack, then stovepop popcorn made with coconut oil is one of my favorites. Or any nut butter on a thin rice/quinoa/corn cake. I'm known to carry a lot of fruit around with me as well.

I was really thinking more in terms of an actual meal.  Still, many is the "every man for himself" evening when my wife makes a dinner out of a bowl of popcorn.  And, if in a hurry, I'll make a belly-filling lunch out of a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2015, 07:45:26 AM »
My wife's home made alfredo is delicious, probably my favorite cheap meal.  I don't know exactly how much it costs per dish, but noodles, cream, butter, salt/pepper, and cheese doesn't add up to a whole lot in a single size portion.

Liz

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2015, 09:55:03 AM »
Eggs and diced sweet potatos sauteed with garlic powder and pepper ~ keeps me full for hours!

Candace

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2015, 11:20:45 AM »
Eggs. Just eggs. Scrambled, fried or boiled. At $2.25 per dozen jumbo eggs, they're the best and cheapest protein available except for plant-based forms. They fill me right up and make me feel satisfied.

mustacheyouaquestion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2015, 04:20:47 PM »
Anyone tried savory oatmeal? I know someone who has a whole blog devoted to it.

My wife swears by the stuff - has been eating savory oatmeal (cheese + green onion + whatever else) several times a week lately.  Me on the other hand - my brain just can't process it as food.

I actually really can't do oatmeal in general - something about the gloopiness of the texture - HOWEVER, what I DO love and what I would suggest for anyone like me who's not into regular oats - oat bran.  Cooks up quicker than oatmeal even, arguably healthier, and it has the most amazing texture.  It's silky and creamy where oatmeal is gloopy.  In the morning I bring 325 ml of water to a boil and whisk in 70g of oat bran, then remove from the heat, cover, and go about my business.  I come back in about 10 minutes and it's cooked through to perfection.  Couldn't be easier.  On the weekend if I'm feeling decadent I add a shot of cream on top.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2015, 06:33:35 AM »
Eggs. Just eggs. Scrambled, fried or boiled. At $2.25 per dozen jumbo eggs, they're the best and cheapest protein available except for plant-based forms. They fill me right up and make me feel satisfied.

I wish I could do more eggs than I do, particularly since my wife's laying hens produce an average dozen a day.  But I have to limit myself to 1 egg a day due to my cholesterol limit.  And it would take several eggs, no matter how combined, to really give me a long-lasting "fill."

Too bad...  :[

MustacheExplorer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2015, 10:15:30 AM »
Pasta with olive oil and garlic.  I'll add some basil or chopped spinach if I have some.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
Hard boiled eggs, and oatmeal.

If I have a few more minutes I like to make a quick omelette - 3 eggs and whatever is in the fridge (mushrooms, green onion, cheese, maybe some leftover salad or something).

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2015, 06:00:44 AM »

I wish I could do more eggs than I do, particularly since my wife's laying hens produce an average dozen a day.  But I have to limit myself to 1 egg a day due to my cholesterol limit.  And it would take several eggs, no matter how combined, to really give me a long-lasting "fill."

Have you reviewed this with your doctor? They've pulled back on the claim that eggs contribute to higher cholesterol levels, but maybe that's only for people who don't have high cholesterol to begin with.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:24:48 PM by justajane »

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2015, 09:14:49 AM »

Have you reviewed this with your doctor? They've pulled back on the claim that eggs contribute to higher cholesterol levels, but maybe that's only for people who don't have high cholesterol to being with.

I've got another appointment with him in April and will pursue it.  The thing is, the way he evaluates the numbers I shouldn't even be eating that one egg a day.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2015, 10:34:16 AM »
Banana with peanut butter!

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2015, 06:42:09 AM »
Banana with peanut butter!

To me, that's a belly-filler snack, not a meal.  So -- some of my belly-filler snacks are: apples... celery with cream cheese... cheese sticks... peanut butter on a spoon.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:17 AM »
We got to figure out how to replicate "Jif Whips". Try a tub of this peanut butter heaven and you'll know what I mean.

I've been trying to think how to replicate it, but I'm not coming up with a good way yet....

Arzosah

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2015, 07:52:33 AM »
I've got to thank people on this thread who mentioned putting peanut butter into porridge - I've been putting pumpkin seeds, linseed and honey in, and this morning I put peanut butter in too - it really did fill me up for longer, and it gives me an easy way of using peanut butter, which is a quick protein for a veggie like me.  Can't use it in sandwiches because I'm gluten intolerant, and gluten free bread is *disgusting* over here in the UK.

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2015, 08:45:10 AM »
I've got to thank people on this thread who mentioned putting peanut butter into porridge - I've been putting pumpkin seeds, linseed and honey in, and this morning I put peanut butter in too - it really did fill me up for longer, and it gives me an easy way of using peanut butter, which is a quick protein for a veggie like me.  Can't use it in sandwiches because I'm gluten intolerant, and gluten free bread is *disgusting* over here in the UK.

Arzosah - peanut butter is awesome when you put it in the little channel that runs down a stalk of celery. Crispy, crunchy and peanut-buttery. If you want to use just the bare minimum (I can get down to a tablespoon per stalk), use smooth. If you want a maximum celery peanut experience, go for crunchy.

Most people are disgusted by "natural" peanut butter, especially how the oil separates from the butter. But it's way easier to smooth onto a celery stalk and is very flavorful. After only a jar of the natural stuff, I got used to it and now the "kid's style" stuff tastes way too sweet and sugary.

If it were possible for me to buy peanuts in bulk and make my own, I'd be glad to do that. DW and I go through a lot of PB, so if anyone has input on that, I'm interested in learning. Same goes for almond milk - I use about a gallon of almond milk every two weeks and it's EXPENSIVE. If I could make it at home and end up with a similar-or-better product, I'd gladly do so.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:46:52 AM by mefla »

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2015, 09:38:59 AM »
Arzosah - peanut butter is awesome when you put it in the little channel that runs down a stalk of celery. Crispy, crunchy and peanut-buttery. If you want to use just the bare minimum (I can get down to a tablespoon per stalk), use smooth. If you want a maximum celery peanut experience, go for crunchy.

And top with raisins and you have my favorite childhood snack, "ants on a log" Actually banana cut into coins and topped with a dollop of PB and raisins are very good too :)

AJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2015, 09:44:26 AM »
Same goes for almond milk - I use about a gallon of almond milk every two weeks and it's EXPENSIVE. If I could make it at home and end up with a similar-or-better product, I'd gladly do so.

Homemade almond milk is way, way, way better than the stuff from the store - but it's also one of the few things that is more expensive to make yourself :( The store-bought stuff has stabilizers to give it a thicker texture, whereas homemade uses more almonds to get the right texture. If I buy my almonds in bulk and don't spring for the organic ones, I can get the cost pretty close. Plus I can save and use the almond pulp for other recipes. But it's a lot of effort for the payout.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »
homemade hash (potatoes, onion, pepper and about 1oz of whatever meat is leftover from a previous meal)

Hash - with clearance corned beef - Thanks for giving me dinner inspiration on the cheap.

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2015, 03:43:42 PM »
Cabbage and bacon - on top of white rice.  1/4 head of cabbage thinly sliced, 1/4 pkg bacon cooked & drained if you are watching fats or left in if you are liking calories and taste, soy sauce to taste, chicken boullion (about 1/2 - 1 cup), corn starch to thicken.  Cook the bacon, add the cabbage add the boullion and soy sauce, thicken with corn starch to a gravy like consistency and serve over rice.

White rice with butter, sugar, cinnamon and milk.  Add some raisins if you so desire.  (It's like rice pudding and cereal combined without the egg and the cooking.) DH thinks it's gross, but all three kids and myself love it more than oatmeal or any other warm breakfast cereal. Super cheap too.

Black beans (spicy w/ salsa) and rice with a fried egg on top.  I think this one comes from Costa Rica?  I've been eating it for breakfast and/or dinner for years.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »

Have you reviewed this with your doctor? They've pulled back on the claim that eggs contribute to higher cholesterol levels, but maybe that's only for people who don't have high cholesterol to being with.

I've got another appointment with him in April and will pursue it.  The thing is, the way he evaluates the numbers I shouldn't even be eating that one egg a day.

Dietary cholesterol actually has little to do with blood cholesterol.  Lots of new info out on this that you might want to see if your doc is up to date on.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel-suggests-stop-warning-about-cholesterol-in-food-201502127713

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2015, 06:28:53 PM »
Dietary cholesterol actually has little to do with blood cholesterol.  Lots of new info out on this that you might want to see if your doc is up to date on.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/panel-suggests-stop-warning-about-cholesterol-in-food-201502127713

I'm staking my life on what horsepoor just said and as of my last blood check, it's paying off handsomely. Both "good" and "bad" cholesterols firmly in the optimum ranges, triglicerides healthy-low.  Anyone who believes the old (mis)information would be shocked by what I eat every day. See it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

startswithhome

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2015, 07:25:17 PM »
A side-by-side comparison of old fashioned vs. steel cut oats:
http://www.prevention.com/content/whats-healthier-steel-cut-oats-or-rolled-oats

They failed to mention steel cut oats usually cost 2-3x what rolled oats do.  That's the tie breaker for me!

If you're in Canada, Bulk Barn has all oats for the exact same price (which means the rolled are cheaper elsewhere, but it's still a good price for steel cut)

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
My current favorite belly-fillers (defining as a quick meal to fill my stomach within 15 minutes or walking in the door or I cant be held accountable for my actions):
- tried and true scrambled eggs with whatever veg in fridge
- cauliflower "Alfredo" sauce with pasta (newest discovery)
- tuna mixed with cottage cheese on a wrap or over salad (recent discovery)

Using cottage cheese to make tuna salad is probably my best culinary discovery in the last 6 months - I had a real craving for a tuna salad sandwhich about 6 months ago except the mayo in my fridge had gone bad (I don't really like mayo and only used it for the occasional tuna salad). I had some yogurt and cottage cheese needing to be used up but didn't want to use the yogurt (I consider yogurt more for sweet not savory) so cottage cheese it was and it was amazing. Bonus being that dessert was yogurt with local raw honey and homemade jam. That was a good day :)

Also to chime in on the steel-cut vs rolled oats - I find rolled oats too mushy (unless making overnight oats) so when I want warm oats I go with steel cut  since it gives me something to chew. I think its definitely a personal preference/taste thing.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2015, 06:41:50 AM »

I'm staking my life on what horsepoor just said and as of my last blood check, it's paying off handsomely. Both "good" and "bad" cholesterols firmly in the optimum ranges, triglicerides healthy-low.  Anyone who believes the old (mis)information would be shocked by what I eat every day. See it here: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto

Well, I'm not sure whether this is good news or bad news for me.

Sure, it's good news to know that my dietary choices don't have to be as limited.

But, it's bad news to think that maybe I cannot lower my blood numbers through dietary control and that therefore I might have to go on medication.  Which I absolutely don't want to have to do.

Let me think about this...

(But THANKS for the link, Horsepoor!)

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:46 AM »
I have to say I am loving this thread. Last night, I wanted a small snack. I noticed a small amount of old rice in the fridge. Normally I would throw this out, but instead I enjoyed some makeshift rice pudding with butter, milk, and smushed banana. Thanks to couponvan for reminding me how easy and yummy this is!

Now I'm off to try tuna with cottage cheese!

Bluedreamin, can you post more information about your cauliflower alfredo?

Faraday

• Handlebar Stache
  • Solar Powered Slice
« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2015, 09:05:35 AM »
...prior posting here...

Well, I'm not sure whether this is good news or bad news for me.

Sure, it's good news to know that my dietary choices don't have to be as limited.

But, it's bad news to think that maybe I cannot lower my blood numbers through dietary control and that therefore I might have to go on medication.  Which I absolutely don't want to have to do.

Let me think about this...

(But THANKS for the link, Horsepoor!)

RTW: I think I may have agreed to something there that I didn't mean to. My comment was more to the point that my eating lifestyle HAS improved my triglycerides and cholesterol, because I have blood exams to show the numbers moved significantly when I adopted the lifestyle.

What I agree to is that, as long as one is in ketosis, that eating eggs does not raise one's cholesterol.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 12:21:43 PM by mefla »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2015, 12:03:40 PM »
Boston Baked Beans.  Roughly $5 in ingredients for 8 meal-sized portions, and it keeps you full for a long time.  Best of all, it takes less than 20 minutes or work.
16 oz package of dried Navy Beans (soaked overnight)
1 white onion, diced
6 rashers of raw Bacon, sliced thin
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup water
1/3 cup molassas
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp ground all spice
1/2 tsp ground clove
1 - 2 Italian sausages (raw), sliced.

Layer first three ingredients in a crock-pot - you should have 3 or 4 layers total. Mix the last five ingredients together in a bowl and pour over bean mixture.  Add just enough water so the beans are barely submerged.  Cook for a minimum of 8 hours.  Add sausages and cook for another hour.  Remove 1 cup of beans, mash, and return to the crock-pot (this thickens the mixture).  Eat.

DollarBill

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »
cauliflower "Alfredo" sauce with pasta

I need to try this. It sounds awesome!

bludreamin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2015, 05:46:34 PM »

the original recipe is here: http://pinchofyum.com/creamy-cauliflower-sauce

but since I'm lazy and need to meet my 15-minute rule/definition of "belly filler" my quick/lazy version is:

Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb frozen cauliflower
- 1-2 tsp fancy roasted garlic flavored olive oil (this is my sub for the sauteing garlic in butter step)
- ~1 tbsp of milk
- salt, pepper to taste
- water as needed for consistency

Steps:
1. Steam cauliflower in microwave w/ 1/4c water for ~6-7 minutes (stirring half way through)
2. Add cauliflower to blender with flavored olive oil and milk; blend on high until smooth
3. Taste, adjust seasoning, add more water/milk as needed
4. avoid "tasting" the entire batch of sauce
5. drown pasta of choice in sauce
6. enjoy

Since I had to find the recipe link, I decided to make this tonight and it was 15 minutes from the thought of "hey I should make this" to the first bite passing my lips.  the "longest" part is prepping the pasta - I use a bean pasta (gluten free) that I cook "backcountry-style" (i.e., add boilng water and cover) - if the pasta needs encouragement I nuke it - and I swear I use more of my kitchen than just the microwave!

Oh and I should also mention that I was out of milk so just used about a tbsp of greek yogurt I have in my fridge - still yummy!

There is also a vegan version (http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/20/cauli-power-fettuccine-alfredo-vegan/)- that's on my list to try but I need to make that without substitution/changes first

ETA: the recipe above makes a little over 1 cup of sauce - this is about 2 servings for me - YMMV
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:48:48 PM by bludreamin »

pichirino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 06:52:25 AM »
16 bean soup with sausage and potatoes.(and more offc)

This meal is the cheapest,healthiest and most filling meal I could find to make.
1 small pack costing aproximately 2.50$ lasts me 4 meals for a single person.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 03:17:13 PM »
16 bean soup with sausage and potatoes.(and more offc)

This meal is the cheapest,healthiest and most filling meal I could find to make.
1 small pack costing approximately 2.50$ lasts me 4 meals for a single person.

Extending that with rice might make it even less expensive.  And the combined beans and rice give you all the aminoacids needed to build proteins.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2015, 09:04:49 PM »
I am all about fried rice lately.  It can use up all sorts of bits and bobs of veggies and leftover meat.  I add a couple eggs and it's basically a one-dish meal.  Today i made some that was half leftover rice and half cauliflower "rice" and used up a pepper, celery, daikon radish, a couple green onions and some Thai pesto.  It can go in a sort of cajun direction too, like dirty rice with sausage, or in an Italian direction with some olives and sundried tomatoes.  So cheap, easy and delicious!

couponvan

• Walrus Stache
    • My journal
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
I have to say I am loving this thread. Last night, I wanted a small snack. I noticed a small amount of old rice in the fridge. Normally I would throw this out, but instead I enjoyed some makeshift rice pudding with butter, milk, and smushed banana. Thanks to couponvan for reminding me how easy and yummy this is!

Now I'm off to try tuna with cottage cheese!

You're welcome for the reminder!  I'll add "pineapple" and cottage cheese.  I cannot stand canned tuna - unless it's in a favorite mustachian belly filler of boxed macaroni and cheese, canned corned and tuna mixed together casserole style.  My mom was a horrible cook, and I get nostalgic for this sometimes. ;-)  It sounds gross, but combined togther it really is filling and tasty.  I've done it with "real" ahi tuna, shaved corn, and fancy macaroni & cheese to good reviews as well, but I personally prefer the cheapo version.

Sending you a virtual casserole with your poor foot!.....

ModernIncantations

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2015, 10:52:16 PM »
Breakfast hash:

Rough cubed potatoes (cheap), onions (cheap), tofu (cheap), red peppers (cheap frozen), herbs, and red pepper. Cook in a cast iron skillet

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2015, 09:20:37 AM »
"Leftovers" omelet.  Throw in anything that's leftover in the fridge, meats and/or vegetables. Add some raw veggie on the side.  A yummy surprise every time.