Poll

What's your CURRENT % of your Target Passive Income as of EOY 2018?

< 0%: I'm Bleeding money
2 (0.8%)
0 to 5%
21 (8.7%)
5.01 to 10%
10 (4.1%)
10.01 to 20%
23 (9.5%)
20.01 to 30%
33 (13.7%)
30.01 to 40%
25 (10.4%)
40.01 to 50%
23 (9.5%)
50.01 to 60%
14 (5.8%)
60.01 to 70%
18 (7.5%)
70.01 to 80%
9 (3.7%)
80.01 to 90% and FIREd
3 (1.2%)
80.01 to 90% and NOT FIREd
18 (7.5%)
90.01 to 100% and FIREd
2 (0.8%)
90.01 to 100% and NOT FIREd
8 (3.3%)
100.01 to 110% and FIREd
6 (2.5%)
100.01 to 110% and NOT FIREd
5 (2.1%)
110.01% and up, and FIREd
11 (4.6%)
110.01% and up, and NOT FIREd
8 (3.3%)
FIREd, other %
2 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 239

Voting closed: February 06, 2019, 08:56:21 PM

Author Topic: What's your CURRENT % of your Target Passive Income as of EOY 2018?  (Read 12705 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
2 years ago, there was a poll that asked what people's net worth is. 

That's useful info to know, but it didn't tell us how well their plan is working. 

If you're aiming for a given amount of passive income, via whatever plan you're using, how close are you?

For example, if you're aiming for a passive income of $40,000 using a 4% SWR via a 100% stocks and bonds portfolio, and your portfolio is now worth $500,000, you're at 50%.

If you're planning on $20,000 in rental profits and $20,000 in stock/bond profits at a 5% withdrawal rate, then if your current rental profits are $12,000 and your stock/bond portfolio is $160,000, you're at 50%, too.

If you're going to sell your $500,000 paid for house with a realtor and buy a $200,000 house and invest the rest at in stocks and bonds with a 4% SWR, then you can count the equity as $300,000 * .094 (less realtor costs) as $282,000, which would shed off $11280.   Technically you have zero passive income, from this source, but, heck, the purpose is to figure out how close you are, and you're a lot closer than someone who doesn't have $300,000 in house equity that they can (and will) convert to stocks!

Oh, if you've got a $500,000 paid for house but you're not going to sell it when you FIRE, it counts as $0 towards your target income.

If you participated in the last 2 years, add a comment to let us know which categories you are in now and where you were in prior years.

I'm curious!  Enquiring minds want to know!  :)

You can see last year's poll here if you're interested in comparing results:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/what's-your-current-eoy-2017-of-your-target-passive-income/

And the poll 2 years ago here:

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/how-close-to-fi-are-you-what's-your-current-of-your-target-passive-income

« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 10:06:02 PM by SwordGuy »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's your CURRENT % of your Target Passive Income as of EOY 2018?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 09:28:16 PM »
At the end of last year we were at 110% and up, NOT FIREd.  This year we're still at 110% and up, but now we're FIREd.     Well, FIRd.   We missed out on the E for Early part because we didn't learn about this soon enough.

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 09:46:55 PM »
100.01 to 110% and NOT FIREd

That's based on a fairly FAT fire for me, and I'm happy if it stays about there until I FIRE in the next 6 to 16 months.

I'm about 280% for barebones FIRE.  It was over 300% back in Sept. and early October.

Oh, I didn't vote in those past polls.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:29:03 PM by DreamFIRE »

MM_MG

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 10:01:51 PM »
We are at least half way there.  Assuming I understood the question and did the math right.  :)  I excluded home equity from the equation because we have no plans to sell...unless we have to. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 10:11:29 PM »
I excluded home equity from the equation because we have no plans to sell...unless we have to.

Correct!

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2018, 08:08:06 AM »
As of Thursday (12/27) we were at 79.5%.  I am still targeting a 28x spending stash (about 3.6% WR based on the SWR series at Early Retirement Now.)

Last year’s survey we were at 76%. In March of this past year my wife quit her job (a non-epic FU money move) so that reduced our accumulation a bit.  Then there was the equities market.  (One week ago we were at 77%, so that just goes to show how the market has not worked for us this year.  If the market had just been “average” we should have ended at 84%.)

All that being said I am still on track to reach my FIRE stash amount in 2021 (albeit later in the year).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 06:17:00 PM by ScreamingHeadGuy »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2018, 09:04:03 AM »
As of Thursday (12/27) we were at 79.5%.  I am still targeting a 28x spending stash (about 3.6% WR based on the SWR series as Early Retirement Now.)

Last year’s survey we were at 76%. In March of this past year my wife quit her job (a non-epic FU money move) so that reduced our Accumulation a bit.  Then there was the equities market.  (One week ago we were at 77%, so that just goes to show how the market has not worked for us this year.  If the market had just been “average” we should have ended at 84%.)

All that being said I am still on track to reach my FIRE stash amount in 2021 (albeit later in the year).

2021 will be here faster than you would believe possible...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2018, 09:06:35 AM »
Interesting phenomenon though, with the market flopping around I am doing new analyses and getting some confidence back on how I could still go as planned rather than wait OMY.  The trip through the chaos has helped me get tuned up on my plan.  I have been re-reading some inspirational stuff and trying to get a grip. 

I've been tracking the market closely this year.  The big swings have been great because I've been inoculated to some degree.

Down $50,000 in a day?  Ho-hum.   

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
I've been in the same category for 3 years, it's been rough with employment changes the past 2 years!  Pretty sure we'll move up a notch by next year though.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2018, 11:20:24 AM »
I've been in the same category for 3 years, it's been rough with employment changes the past 2 years!  Pretty sure we'll move up a notch by next year though.

It takes a bit before the compounding starts to kick in with big results.   This down market is a bonus for you.   It will feel like you're getting nowhere and then, when the market rises again, you'll see some awesome results.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »

It takes a bit before the compounding starts to kick in with big results.   This down market is a bonus for you.   It will feel like you're getting nowhere and then, when the market rises again, you'll see some awesome results.
That's what I'm hoping for!  We set our automatic contributions at a level to make 2019 our highest savings in $$ year yet!

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2018, 12:23:47 PM »
FIREing at the end of March!!

I really hope to get bunches of money into the market before it starts to ratchet up again.

LV

FIRE 20/20

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2018, 12:34:11 PM »
I didn't participate in 2016, but in 2017 I was in the 80-90% and not FIREd group.  After the drop we're at either 90-100% or 100-110% and not FIREd, depending on our budget update and the withdrawal rate we finally decide we're comfortable with.  I voted as 90-100% and not FIREd because I would probably be ok but very nervous if I actually did something worthy of the Epic FU money thread. 

RetirementInvestingToday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Retirement Investing Today
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »
I went with 100% to 110% and FIREd.  We FIRE'd at the end of November 18 and have already moved to the Mediterranean.  I just opened up my spreadsheet that used to forecast years to retirement based on current wealth, planned annual savings and an assumed real annual 4% return which after the Mr Market fun of recent weeks/months now suggests I have 0.02 years to FIRE.  That's based on a 2.5%+Investment Expenses SWR.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 12:45:31 PM by RetirementInvestingToday »

RetirementInvestingToday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2018, 12:53:10 PM »
FI and RE. At 110% plus right now and save a bit of the passive FIRE income each year.
Nice work.  Similar strategy here.  We're planning on living on 85% of dividends paid so that a little is reinvested (to refresh to 3x annual expenses in cash or into stocks/bonds if already at 3x) during the good times.  Have spent a little more in our first month of FIRE as had to pay for removal to the Med plus all our annual insurances (healthcare being the big one) to get us established.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2018, 03:28:25 PM »
Kind of funny looking at the progression. I jump into the next bracket each year. Puts me pretty much on track.

EnjoyIt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2018, 03:40:50 PM »
Kind of funny looking at the progression. I jump into the next bracket each year. Puts me pretty much on track.

I was lower down a a few months ago before the recent market pull back. 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2018, 08:13:14 PM »

@matchewed ,

10+% a year?   That's excellent progress!

Are you using an indexed market portfolio, real estate, or ???

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2018, 10:07:29 AM »
FI and RE. At 110% plus right now and save a bit of the passive FIRE income each year.
Nice work.  Similar strategy here.  We're planning on living on 85% of dividends paid so that a little is reinvested (to refresh to 3x annual expenses in cash or into stocks/bonds if already at 3x) during the good times.  Have spent a little more in our first month of FIRE as had to pay for removal to the Med plus all our annual insurances (healthcare being the big one) to get us established.
@RetirementInvestingToday ,

So you're not using stock price appreciation (and sales of shares) as part of your SWR?   

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2018, 10:34:08 AM »

@matchewed ,

A mix of indexing and real estate.

I'm probably on the lower side of the spending scale for this crowd and have decent income. Not the six figures many of the forum participants have but solid enough to hit the goals and live the life I want.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »

@matchewed ,

I'm probably on the lower side of the spending scale for this crowd and have decent income. Not the six figures many of the forum participants have but solid enough to hit the goals and live the life I want.

Yes, real estate can be a real FIRE accelerant!   4% of a $100,000 stock/bond portfolio yields $4000 in income.  Or, in my area, $50,000 for a rental home plus some sweat equity was producing at least that much income (plus a $30,000 jump in Net Worth for making the repairs).   

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2018, 11:32:25 AM »
 Fire'd, Currently at 100% of what our goal was to be so  and about 125% of what we need. Excluding paid for house of course.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2018, 05:27:00 PM »
FIREd in March at 104%.  At the market peak this year I was just over 110%.  Ending the year at 98%.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2018, 07:13:46 PM »
Congrats to all the folks who either FIRED over the last year or who got their finances in order so they could.   Job well done!

RetirementInvestingToday

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2019, 02:37:53 AM »

So you're not using stock price appreciation (and sales of shares) as part of your SWR?

That's certainly the aim - whether I manage to achieve it over 40 years or so of retirement is a different question.  My FIRE strategy, which I've now enacted given I FIRE'd in Nov 17, is twofold.  Spending is the lower of:
- a 2.5% WR based on wealth on my retirement day which I'll uprate with inflation annually; and/or
- 85% of peak annual dividends with me going into FIRE with a 3 year spend cash buffer.  The theory here is that if dividends increase my spending can increase while also contributing a little to my wealth building (the 15%).  That will work until the next big bear that sees dividends cut.  At that point I hold spending which will mean I'm now spending dividends plus some cash buffer.  I continue that until a new peak dividends are reached and my cash buffer is replenished at which time I can then start increasing my spend again.

With how my portfolio currently sits it's the 85% of peak annual dividends that's driving my spending.  If it's of interest I put a little time into the strategy here http://www.retirementinvestingtoday.com/2015/09/living-off-dividends-in-early-retirement.html

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2019, 09:55:08 AM »

That's certainly the aim - whether I manage to achieve it over 40 years or so of retirement is a different question.  My FIRE strategy, which I've now enacted given I FIRE'd in Nov 17, is twofold.  Spending is the lower of:
- a 2.5% WR based on wealth on my retirement day which I'll uprate with inflation annually; and/or
- 85% of peak annual dividends with me going into FIRE with a 3 year spend cash buffer.  The theory here is that if dividends increase my spending can increase while also contributing a little to my wealth building (the 15%).  That will work until the next big bear that sees dividends cut.  At that point I hold spending which will mean I'm now spending dividends plus some cash buffer.  I continue that until a new peak dividends are reached and my cash buffer is replenished at which time I can then start increasing my spend again.

With how my portfolio currently sits it's the 85% of peak annual dividends that's driving my spending.  If it's of interest I put a little time into the strategy here http://www.retirementinvestingtoday.com/2015/09/living-off-dividends-in-early-retirement.html

Thanks, I'll check that out!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2019, 07:56:15 PM »
So far, 15.6% of the people who have responded are either FIRED or FIRE-Ready.   

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2019, 07:32:33 AM »

@matchewed ,

Yes, real estate can be a real FIRE accelerant!   4% of a $100,000 stock/bond portfolio yields $4000 in income.  Or, in my area, $50,000 for a rental home plus some sweat equity was producing at least that much income (plus a $30,000 jump in Net Worth for making the repairs).

Yeah the property we have is a multifamily, while we're in it, it is revenue neutral. When we move out we should be seeing around 10k annual. That's about a third of our expenditures. Given those factors and a solid savings rate it is rather easy to move leaps and bounds each year.

Our plan is to supplement with some odd jobs and the like as needed. Our band is in three to six years we will FIRE.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2019, 08:00:20 AM »
Fun!

47.5% assuming 24k per annum.

~60% of baseline FI ($24k/yr)

70.3% assuming $24k, but in true MMM/ERE spirit I dropped my actual trailing 12 month expenses to $17.5k, bringing me to 96% based on real spending #'s.

Slow road to freedom

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2019, 08:16:25 AM »
This is a fascinating thread - not spotted the previous poll. I agree, it makes much more sense to look at % FIREd rather than net worth.

We have a simple target of £1m throwing off £40k / year, but I find it demoralising that I only have c £170k saved in tax free trackers. This is what I see in terms of invested cash.

Then I remember the £300k pension pot, plus a couple of final salary pension transfer values totalling £260k (no, not transferred to cash) - and suddenly I realise this seems doable - with my OH, we’re at 73%.

Still a way to go, but didn’t I read somewhere that one might expect savings to roughly double every 10 years or so?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
This is a fascinating thread - not spotted the previous poll. I agree, it makes much more sense to look at % FIREd rather than net worth.
@Slow road to freedom
Thanks!   I think it's the one universally applicable measurement that we can track progress with.

Still a way to go, but didn’t I read somewhere that one might expect savings to roughly double every 10 years or so?

The "rule of 72" is an approximation that you can use to figure that out.   Divide the growth percentage into 72 and that's about how many years it will take to double.    It's my understanding that the broad US market has historically returned about 7% (after subtracting inflation).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 06:00:12 PM by SwordGuy »

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2019, 06:03:19 PM »
Currently, 14.9% of respondents are either FIRED or FIRE-ready.

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2019, 03:56:01 AM »
I guestimated 100-110 and we are FIRED. 

Even with the downturn we are at 2.5% or so for "fun money".  The bulk of our budget comes from my military pension and VA disability, so we are a bit of an outlier in this community.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2019, 01:44:59 PM »
Wow,

That was enlightening.... lol. 

Divorce did not help =/   

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2019, 02:56:26 PM »
Wow,

That was enlightening.... lol. 

Divorce did not help =/

I feel for you.

On the plus side, other things are simpler.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2019, 04:25:56 PM »

Currently, 14.4% of respondents are either FIRED or FIRE-ready.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2019, 12:15:29 PM »
No lurking!  :)

Register and vote! 

SansSkill

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »
Started the journey last year, currently just over 1%.
Less then I planned but the plans changed around the summer, partially due to health issues and partially due to the fact that I changed my mind about joining the workforce after my bachelor and continue with my masters.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2019, 06:36:20 AM »
Started the journey last year, currently just over 1%.
Less then I planned but the plans changed around the summer, partially due to health issues and partially due to the fact that I changed my mind about joining the workforce after my bachelor and continue with my masters.

You're at 1% right out of college?  That's excellent!   A whole lot of folks are definitely in below zero territory at that point in their lives!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2019, 06:56:09 PM »
Currently, 12.8% of respondents are either FIRED or FIRE-ready.   I expect numbers to be down a bit this time simply because the market dropped.    But we'll see...

efree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My blog about P2P lending
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2019, 03:37:38 AM »
I'm at 5-10%. I'm still not sure what my final number will be. Maybe around 350,000 €? It's still a long time away, and my spending is probably going to change, and inflation might be a factor as well.

mizzourah2006

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2019, 07:29:22 AM »
30%. Even with down market we picked up almost 7% this year.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2019, 08:54:41 AM »
30%. Even with down market we picked up almost 7% this year.

Great!   

Early in the process payroll contributions generally matter the most, later on it's the market that matters most.

Good news is when the market gets back up again you'll be even better off since you're buying shares in bulk on sale!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2019, 07:09:11 PM »
I'm at 5-10%. I'm still not sure what my final number will be. Maybe around 350,000 €? It's still a long time away, and my spending is probably going to change, and inflation might be a factor as well.

If you are investing in stocks or rental property, they tend to turn a profit on top of inflation.   So although you'll need more money, you'll most likely get that anyway.    CFireSim, FireCalc, or just using a 7% return on your stock index holdings in your custom projections will cover inflation.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2019, 06:43:38 PM »

So far, 14% of the people who have responded are either FIRED or FIRE-Ready.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2019, 05:55:40 AM »
I was touching right at 100% at the top of the market and closer to 90% now, though its all fairly grey as I'm still trying to settle on what my target income is.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2019, 06:20:07 AM »
I was touching right at 100% at the top of the market and closer to 90% now, though its all fairly grey as I'm still trying to settle on what my target income is.

There's a tough problem.  Not one that many folks would commiserate with you with, though. :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2019, 03:10:58 PM »
148 respondents at the moment.   The last two polls had 500 and 320 respondents.

Get out the vote!

Enquiring minds want to know how you are doing!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
Tell us some more stories about where you are and how you're getting there! :)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2019, 07:18:03 PM »
We're at 110.01+ % and FIRED.

Income is a blend of rented out farmland, rental homes, stocks and bonds, and social security.

We have some US savings bonds that have matured and we're about ready to cash them in.  Don't know whether we'll be able to do that in a timely manner at the moment.   That may impact our ability to invest in real estate this year as they are enough to buy and refurbish a rental home similar to those we already have -- without requiring us to take out a loan or sell our stock.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!