Author Topic: What's up with the Frugalwoods?  (Read 187069 times)

Fireball

• Bristles
Re: What's up with the Frugalwoods?
« Reply #400 on: March 30, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »
Other than Nate's tragic, tragic beard, nothing the FW's have done really offends me. I decided a long time ago to take what I want from the PF blogosphere and leave the rest.

obstinate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #401 on: March 30, 2018, 10:09:57 PM »
And I'm not saying either of the Frugalwoods should work themselves to exhaustion, but I don't like using my limited funds to add to their less limited funds.
Oh my god. Just return the book then. Anything but this continued whining.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: March 30, 2018, 10:20:57 PM »
And I'm not saying either of the Frugalwoods should work themselves to exhaustion, but I don't like using my limited funds to add to their less limited funds.
My city library has the book. I hope Mustachians didn't pay full price!

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #403 on: March 31, 2018, 02:39:12 AM »
this is your reading comprehension problem cropping up again
1.  It's so hard for me to understand how this topic is so persistently nasty. whatever happened to:
Quote from: Forum Rules
The overriding principle here on this site: Be a human being and treat others respectfully.

That includes, but is not limited to:
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. Attack an argument, not a person.
[...]
4. Be respectful of the site and other members.

2. Did you actually read the book? The "one sentence tag line designed to sell books" is not just in the Guardian article and the other media from the book's sales and promotion blitz, it's in the book itself. The infamous "investment banker" quote is pulled verbatim from the first section of the book that sets the stage for what happens in the rest of the book. Similarly, Mrs FW goes into extreme detail when it comes to her income during her year in AmeriCorps, then never mentions income again as she marries and climbs the ladder.

I was not a regular frugalwoods blog reader before the book came out, having poked my head in from time to time but nothing more. The blog seems a bit more even-handed in its treatment of their income than the book. Maybe it was slanted editing with an eye towards the story's marketability, but the book works far harder to advertise the FWs as everyday joes and obscure the fact that they were saving over 50% before their frugality kick and that they retired a few short years after they kicked it into high gear.  I think you'd be harder pressed to call the book even-handed if you had read it.

3. Can we stop with this tired trope that everyone who objects to the book is a petty, brutish person envious of the FW's success? I read the book and loved it. I thought it was great fun. The FWs deserve all the success they have had and I wouldn't take a dime of their income away from them. I've worked in nonprofits and did a year in a AmeriCorps, and have no issues with a nonprofit paying whatever salary it finds appropriate, including Nate's. I'm not the internet retirement police and don't give half a fuck whether you call yourself "retired", "FI", or nothing at all, nor for how much you work. And they look to be using their wealth well, building a life similar to the one that I hope to have in a few years. In short, I think they're terrific. I also think the book is misleading and works hard to obscure the truth at some times and misstate it at others.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #404 on: March 31, 2018, 09:01:10 AM »
What is confusing me is... is there really anyone, anywhere, who would read the FW blog and proceed to think "Well! If I am just thrifty on my $40k/year salary, I, too, will be able to buy a giant piece of property in Vermont, and a beautiful house, and a cider press, and will never work again except at cider pressing season?"

Really? Because I can do my own math with my own numbers.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #405 on: March 31, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »
What is confusing me is... is there really anyone, anywhere, who would read the FW blog and proceed to think "Well! If I am just thrifty on my $40k/year salary, I, too, will be able to buy a giant piece of property in Vermont, and a beautiful house, and a cider press, and will never work again except at cider pressing season?"

Really? Because I can do my own math with my own numbers.
Yes, I think there are potentially lots of these anyones everywhere!  It's not so confusing to imagine these people that are different than you/us in this way when we know that most people are different from you/us in *all the ways* wrt FI.  The PF community is chock full of stories of amazement at people that are undermining their financial stability in the stupidest of ways and don't seem to be able to do basic math.  It's at times sorta a hobby to make fun of those people around the community.  So I'm confused about how it's confusing to imagine those people existing in the first place and to imagine that they are the target audience of the book, media commentary on the book &etc.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #406 on: March 31, 2018, 01:03:06 PM »
Then, truly, the book is selling them a daydream and it won't matter what the FW say about their income.

FIREwannabe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #407 on: March 31, 2018, 01:07:00 PM »

Why don't I return the book?  For the same reason I don't buy a sweater on Friday, wear it on Saturday, and return it for a refund on Sunday.  The book has been read; returning it to a bookstore is something that I don't consider ethical.  As I don't enjoy being mislead, neither will I mislead others.  It is that simple. 

But I see my post has hit a nerve.  This entire string reminds me of a story a teacher told our class years ago.  According to my memory, here is the story:
Tom is popular; Mike is not.  Tom and Mike compete in a 2-runner race.  Mike wins, but the story that spreads through the school is that Tom had a second-place finish in the race, but Mike was next to last.  When those who witnessed the race pointed out that there were only two people in the race, the popular/would-be-popular people did not the truth to get in the way of a good story.  Perception is reality to some/many/you, perhaps.  My preference is for facts/raw data.  If only this had hit my memory before shopping, I would not have shed the torrent of tears that comes from being called names. (Bazinga! - I'm being sarcastic).

The blog mentions a judgement (sic)-free zone; I took that to mean a lack of criticism, not critical thinking.  My bad.
My other bad: believing the Frugalwoods when they downplayed their income; I thought they were just living well as DINKs - since I am a SINK, I knew they were living off of more than I do, just not that much more.

Ever watch the 80s TV series Newhart?  There is an episode, Message from Michael, that parallels the book and forum/discussion.  If you can get it from your library, it is a season 7 episode.  Since you don't have a problem with returning read books, then you can find it on Youtube.  It might add some much needed levity to this discussion.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #408 on: March 31, 2018, 02:20:38 PM »

Why don't I return the book?  For the same reason I don't buy a sweater on Friday, wear it on Saturday, and return it for a refund on Sunday.  The book has been read; returning it to a bookstore is something that I don't consider ethical.  As I don't enjoy being mislead, neither will I mislead others.  It is that simple. 

But I see my post has hit a nerve.  This entire string reminds me of a story a teacher told our class years ago.  According to my memory, here is the story:
Tom is popular; Mike is not.  Tom and Mike compete in a 2-runner race.  Mike wins, but the story that spreads through the school is that Tom had a second-place finish in the race, but Mike was next to last.  When those who witnessed the race pointed out that there were only two people in the race, the popular/would-be-popular people did not the truth to get in the way of a good story.  Perception is reality to some/many/you, perhaps.  My preference is for facts/raw data.  If only this had hit my memory before shopping, I would not have shed the torrent of tears that comes from being called names. (Bazinga! - I'm being sarcastic).

The blog mentions a judgement (sic)-free zone; I took that to mean a lack of criticism, not critical thinking.  My bad.
My other bad: believing the Frugalwoods when they downplayed their income; I thought they were just living well as DINKs - since I am a SINK, I knew they were living off of more than I do, just not that much more.

Ever watch the 80s TV series Newhart?  There is an episode, Message from Michael, that parallels the book and forum/discussion.  If you can get it from your library, it is a season 7 episode.  Since you don't have a problem with returning read books, then you can find it on Youtube.  It might add some much needed levity to this discussion.

I’m confused by your critical reading skills. Until I saw this thread and wondered what was going on, I didn’t know who the FW were. I looked up one article, thought it was pretty good (a case study helping someone in a tough situation) and scanned the blog to see that they have at least 2 kids. So, how did you think they were DINKs? Or will you feel deceived about that now too? You’re nothing like them, so why is it so important to compare yourself? They have a basic message, get the best job you can that makes you happy, save and invest your money and don’t buy into consumerism. That’s it. MMM says you can achieve FI on virtually any salary after 10 years, if you save over 50%, but your spend might need adjusting. Your salary doesn’t determine your ability to be FI, your spending does. Anyways, this debate is inane because clearly the people upset are the ones who are missing the messages and want the magic pill and now feel duped. So, burn the book and leave a scathing review on Amazon and then vow to turn your back on all FI bloggers. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 04:24:04 PM by MrThatsDifferent »

badassprof

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: March 31, 2018, 03:58:44 PM »
I know that this thread has taxed everyone’s patience, but i do think the extent of the ire and angst is instructive. While as a reader of the blog, I admit I don’t find the FWs disingenuous. i understand others do, but let’s think this through: we are sold things all the time that turn out not to be what we had hoped they would be. I have half a drawer of moisturizers to prove it. Our last election might serve as another example,lol.

Reading this thread symptomatically, I feel for those who feel upset about the FWs. I don’t think it is really about the bloggers but about a fear that a financial dream might not be easy or even possible with their current income or responsibilities.
 I recommend kindness on all sides. This thread has definitively triggered something for some folks and those of us with high incomes, high savings rate or good luck maybe viewing this from another place.

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #410 on: March 31, 2018, 04:29:17 PM »
I know that this thread has taxed everyone’s patience, but i do think the extent of the ire and angst is instructive. While as a reader of the blog, I admit I don’t find the FWs disingenuous. i understand others do, but let’s think this through: we are sold things all the time that turn out not to be what we had hoped they would be. I have half a drawer of moisturizers to prove it. Our last election might serve as another example,lol.

Reading this thread symptomatically, I feel for those who feel upset about the FWs. I don’t think it is really about the bloggers but about a fear that a financial dream might not be easy or even possible with their current income or responsibilities.
 I recommend kindness on all sides. This thread has definitively triggered something for some folks and those of us with high incomes, high savings rate or good luck maybe viewing this from another place.

The financial dream isn’t easy, it’s hard work and sacrifice, even if you make $300k. Yeah, that might not seem right, but again, remind yourselves, they aren’t spending $300k! Most of these people are living poorer than many people who make far less. Granted $54k in expenses isn’t living super poor, but it’s not caviar and jets. Their day to day life isn’t better per se, it’s just they can RE sooner, if they want, which they don’t have to.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #411 on: March 31, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
I wasn't really into their blog, but this thread and all the haters makes me really root for them.  I hope they absolutely crush it.
Exactly. Don't people have their own lives to be bettering, especially as posters on mmm? I wasn't really into 7 Habits either, but seriously, circle of concern / circle of influence, people.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: March 31, 2018, 07:30:28 PM »
I wasn't really into their blog, but this thread and all the haters makes me really root for them.  I hope they absolutely crush it.
Exactly. Don't people have their own lives to be bettering, especially as posters on mmm? I wasn't really into 7 Habits either, but seriously, circle of concern / circle of influence, people.

Exactly my thoughts -- this hate/envy attitude seems very counter to the spirit of this community.  It's being implied they haven't "earned" their FI merit badge because of their income.  Of course it's easier to become FI with a higher income.  One can only do so much to improve their situation by being frugal, and every effort should be made to move the income needle at the same time.  Well done to them for doing both.  It's certainly not an easy feat to achieve a high income level AND be simultaneously frugal.  Community members should be asking how they can do the same instead of ridiculing.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 07:35:10 PM by dustinst22 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: March 31, 2018, 07:53:41 PM »

I’m confused by your critical reading skills. Until I saw this thread and wondered what was going on, I didn’t know who the FW were. I looked up one article, thought it was pretty good (a case study helping someone in a tough situation) and scanned the blog to see that they have at least 2 kids. So, how did you think they were DINKs? Or will you feel deceived about that now too?
One of the kids was just born, the other is a toddler. Pre homestead, they were DINKS

MrThatsDifferent

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #414 on: March 31, 2018, 08:08:55 PM »

Exactly my thoughts -- this hate/envy attitude seems very counter to the spirit of this community.  It's being implied they haven't "earned" their FI merit badge because of their income.  Of course it's easier to become FI with a higher income.  One can only do so much to improve their situation by being frugal, and every effort should be made to move the income needle at the same time.  Well done to them for doing both.  It's certainly not an easy feat to achieve a high income level AND be simultaneously frugal.  Community members should be asking how they can do the same instead of ridiculing.

Maybe that’s why I’m getting so annoyed by this, I have a high income too but I just discovered this thinking. There are people who make a quarter of what I make with far more net worth. I’ll never catch them. I’m lucky I can accelerate but I still have had to make massive changes, cut out so much of what I was doing before and fight with my SO constantly about changing and again, it’s touch because my SO can’t understand why we should live on less when we make so much? I admire the FW for pulling their head in, not giving into creep and giving themselves security. It’s much easier to blow through all your money when you have a lot coming in. Haters need to find a new hobby.

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #415 on: March 31, 2018, 09:09:47 PM »
I actually think their high incomes make their frugality MORE impressive, not less. How many people do you know who go three years and only buy a pair of boots, but no other clothing? Oh and have two babies in that time.

I think they book is more forthcoming about income. She mentioned in many chapters that they are high earners and even devotes a chapter to career progression and how to maximize income.

I enjoy the book and the blog. I did assume they needed much less income, but I probably should not have made that assumption, given their quick FI.

That said, I agree they may not be FI. They moved sooner than planned, seemingly due to difficulty finding the right home/land and then loving that one and feeling very worried it would get away if they delayed. That could also explain why Mr kept his job. I listened to an interview on Mad fientist from two yrs ago, and mr was definitely planning to quit his IT job when they moved to the woods.

Over all, i love the FW and hope they keep the blog going. I do feel they were a little disingenuous with regard to their high incomes.

SparkyPeanut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #416 on: April 28, 2018, 03:04:07 PM »
The very first page of the book (preview on Amazon) says "...embraced extreme frugality in order to ... retire to a homestead in the woods at the age of thirty-two".

This is what people are having an issue with. Neither one of them has retired and in fact the husband continues to make a very large salary. 

So their definition of "retired" is working from home (?). 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: April 28, 2018, 04:19:54 PM »
Much like MMM!

nick663

• Bristles
« Reply #418 on: April 28, 2018, 04:38:56 PM »
Much like MMM!
MMM left his corporate job to pursue other things.  Mr Frugalwoods is still working at the same job he has for years.

Unsurprisingly, MMM has also written about this subject and why he defines himself as "retired"
https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/09/15/a-brief-history-of-the-stash-how-we-saved-from-zero-to-retirement-in-ten-years/
Some people will say, “But Wait! You just said you still work sometimes! That’s not retirement!”. To these people, I can only say, “You’ll see”. Because when you quit your corporate job, you end up with even more energy, which means you want to do more stuff! If some of this stuff happens to earn you money, so be it.

I define us as Retired, because that is a novel word to throw around for those under 50 that sounds much more interesting than “Financially Independent”. Also, the cashflow from investments is much higher than our spending.. so work is only done for fun and on our own terms. For example, this year I stopped taking on carpentry work altogether for most of the year and just started typing this blog and doing other unpaid work like school volunteering. Other years, I may accidentally earn hundreds of thousands of additional dollars by starting another company. Who knows!? Even then, Mr. Money Mustache will still be retired, so there.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: April 28, 2018, 05:40:36 PM »
My understanding is He was planning to retire when they moved to Vermont, but when he told his job he was leaving they asked him to work remotely.  Because he liked the job, he agreed. 

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #420 on: April 28, 2018, 05:43:09 PM »
It's not worth quibbling over what it means to be retired.

Financial Independence should be the goal, not retirement.  If the Frugalwoods are FI, well done.

SparkyPeanut

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #421 on: April 28, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »

Financial Independence should be the goal, not retirement.  If the Frugalwoods are FI, well done.

Well I guess so - but who wouldn't be in that same scenario i.e. one spouse works as a writer/blogger and one spouse has a full-time job. Is that financial independence? Then we all are. Yay!

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #422 on: April 28, 2018, 09:02:00 PM »

Well I guess so - but who wouldn't be in that same scenario i.e. one spouse works as a writer/blogger and one spouse has a full-time job. Is that financial independence? Then we all are. Yay!

Not sure I understand your comment.  They may have enough assets that allow for them to stop working should they choose to -- that's financial independence.  From what I can gather that is in fact their situation.  That's a much different situation than being forced to work in order to cover living costs.   
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 09:04:56 PM by dustinst22 »

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #423 on: April 29, 2018, 09:27:01 AM »
There is something with the tone of their blog that I find smug. I am not sure exactly what it is but I often find myself a bit irritated after reading a piece there. I wonder if other people pick it up too and this is why they get so critical?

Mustache ride

• Stubble
« Reply #424 on: April 29, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

Keep reading around the forum. I don't think you understand what financial independence means.

Saving4Fire

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #425 on: April 30, 2018, 09:03:49 AM »
I think blogs like Frugalwoods and MMM use the word "retired" because it's better for marketing as opposed to "financial independence".   Personally, I think it's inaccurate terminology. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #426 on: April 30, 2018, 09:24:57 AM »
MMM at least left his job, and while i think he is just self-employed, at no one writes him a paycheck.
Nate works for someone else. That's NOT retired.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #427 on: April 30, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »
MMM at least left his job, and while i think he is just self-employed, at no one writes him a paycheck.

I don't see the difference.  I'm just as impressed with someone who achieves early FI as someone who retires early.  Not everyone wants to quit their regular jobs, some are passionate about their work.  There are many very good reasons to continue working.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #428 on: April 30, 2018, 11:34:29 AM »

I don't see the difference.  I'm just as impressed with someone who achieves early FI as someone who retires early.  Not everyone wants to quit their regular jobs, some are passionate about their work.  There are many very good reasons to continue working.

Yes, but in NO definition is working for a company and getting a paycheck retired.  It just makes no sense that they would call themselves retired when Nate is still very clearly working for a company. He's not even 'consulting'. He works for them.

I personally don't think MMM is retired either (self-employed); but I can see how someone would bend the definition to say not receiving a paycheck is retired.

I am FI. I am not retired. I have no interest in being retired right now. I enjoy work. I don't think Nate should retire if he doesn't want to.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #429 on: April 30, 2018, 11:59:53 AM »

Yes, but in NO definition is working for a company and getting a paycheck retired.

Agree, that's why they put that they are financially independent and not retired.

In any case, who cares if they do call themselves retired?  Why does it matter to anyone?  If they are financially free that's the major importance, right?  We are quibbling about silly definitions.  The core concepts are all that matter.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:01:52 PM by dustinst22 »

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: April 30, 2018, 12:10:25 PM »

Yes, but in NO definition is working for a company and getting a paycheck retired.

Agree, that's why they put that they are financially independent and not retired.

In any case, who cares if they do call themselves retired?  Why does it matter to anyone?  If they are financially free that's the major importance, right?  We are quibbling about silly definitions.  The core concepts are all that matter.

I'm seeing more instances of them calling themselves retired. I used to only see them saying financially independent.

No, it doesn't matter- but neither does 95% of things discussed on the internet... 
I read (well skim...) her blog and mostly enjoy it.

Still it seems the core concept was "make shit tons of money".  Which is fine- that's a good plan to do.
I like the homesteading stuff she talks about; but it isn't frugal. Their spending has gone up a lot.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #431 on: April 30, 2018, 12:15:48 PM »

Still it seems the core concept was "make shit tons of money".  Which is fine- that's a good plan to do.

Hell yes that's a good plan!  Well done for them, absolutely.  And now FI at relatively young ages.  Definitely something to be proud of.

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #432 on: December 29, 2018, 01:27:00 PM »
I did not find this forum until today, and I found it seeing what was out there regarding this very topic--e.g., the Frugalwoods income.

I think I discovered them several years ago by being mentioned in the Wall Street Journal, back when they were anonymous.  I actually figured out who they are by searching on line real estate records in the area they purchased their house in 2012 and a low price per square foot.  Didn't take long...

I thought about, since enjoying their blog and wanting a farm myself, maybe seeing about getting the book as a Christmas present.  Between when the book came out and now (Christmas), somewhere in the Wall Street Journal it was mentioned that Nate's income is like $270k and increased like 50k in the last 2 or 3 years.

Cross that book off my list!  How disingenuous, really blatant lies!  All along, I thought by living frugally, I could do the same!

I have more education than both of them, to earn $270k takes me nearly 3 years, my pay increases are minimal to none, I never receive bonuses, and I have never been allowed to telecommute.

I ALWAYS wanted an extremely high paying job where I could work from home, BTW!

I ask, what makes him worth that much working remotely?  Seems like he has friends who gave him a job such as this.

How hard does he work, really?  Takes a LOT of time from your working day cutting wood and maintaining your farm.

I don't mean to crucify the Frugalwoods, but it seems like they create hope for others and had MANY advantages most don't receive.  I never had that sort of job, paid for all my college expenses myself, etc.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2018, 04:33:26 PM »
Cross that book off my list!  How disingenuous, really blatant lies!  All along, I thought by living frugally, I could do the same!

I have more education than both of them, to earn $270k takes me nearly 3 years, my pay increases are minimal to none, I never receive bonuses, and I have never been allowed to telecommute.

I ask, what makes him worth that much working remotely?  Seems like he has friends who gave him a job such as this.

How hard does he work, really?  Takes a LOT of time from your working day cutting wood and maintaining your farm.

I don't mean to crucify the Frugalwoods, but it seems like they create hope for others and had MANY advantages most don't receive.  I never had that sort of job, paid for all my college expenses myself, etc.

Wanting a good job isn't enough.   One of the keys to getting a good job is developing an in-demand skill set, and another key is developing a robust professional network.  Do those things and you can make a lot of money working from home. 

I just don't get all the Frugalwoods hate.  Granted, I never paid much attention to them, so maybe I'm missing something.    Mathematically, the key to retiring early is to save lots.  High percentage savings trumps investment returns.   The Frugalwoods saved a whole lot.   The fact they earned (and apparently are still earning a whole lot) doesn't invalidate the math.   

And math is the main reason why I'm confused about Fruglewoods hate.  Everybody can figure out their own savings rate, and what type of lifestyle that will lead to in the future.   People seem to think that savings lots will automatically lead to a good paying job and a farm in Vermont and get mad when they realize that isn't necessarily the case. 

Adram

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #434 on: December 29, 2018, 05:59:03 PM »
I did not find this forum until today, and I found it seeing what was out there regarding this very topic--e.g., the Frugalwoods income.

I think I discovered them several years ago by being mentioned in the Wall Street Journal, back when they were anonymous.  I actually figured out who they are by searching on line real estate records in the area they purchased their house in 2012 and a low price per square foot.  Didn't take long...

I thought about, since enjoying their blog and wanting a farm myself, maybe seeing about getting the book as a Christmas present.  Between when the book came out and now (Christmas), somewhere in the Wall Street Journal it was mentioned that Nate's income is like $270k and increased like 50k in the last 2 or 3 years.

Wow, this is the most butthurt post I’ve ever seen on here. 😂😂😂

Too bad, you’re so educated but not worth much. Dry those tears.

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #435 on: December 29, 2018, 06:00:12 PM »
Yes, I know this NOW, but one's brain doesn't simply grasp these things when one is in college aged 18 to 22.  I guess it does for some folks, and they study logical things like business and engineering.  I grew up lower middle class in an area with a lot of wealth.  Trust fund babies and such.  My parents made sacrifices I wasn't even aware of until recently just to survive.  Some scary stuff; going over to the grandparents to eat was fun, but the real reason is the money ran out.  And nothing exorbitant at all there, that's what it took to just survive.

I got into the local state university and I had enough sense to start out with some accounting and economics courses.  My only goal at that time was to get out as soon as possible and get a stellar career with a major corporation.  I didn't care what I did, just as long as I made a ton of money...enough to trounce those trust fund babies.  The counselor asked me what I wanted to do and I told her I wanted to work for a major corporation and she told me corporations love liberal arts graduates.  WORST ADVICE I EVER GOT!!!  I did such, and because it was an easy track, I graduated a semester early.  I thought I was doing this to get such a job, but all I landed was a job that paid 25 cents more than minimum wage with no benefits!

After several years, I did get a government position, that was dead end.  Got another degree, another government job, only slightly better.  Not worth the years I was out of the workforce.

Networking.  Nonexistent.  I just don't know folks in major corporations except a few folks back when I got out of college and they didn't do anything for me.  Sure, I mowed their lawn nicely but I wasn't one of them!  And, growing up lower middle class with folks who keep to themselves, how do you develop such network?

Lessons learned:  Myself, yes develop a social network, should have majored in business or engineering.  (But why do that if you are told the easier route is just as good?).  Colleges, options should be to major in business, science, or engineering.  Get rid of the fluff.  Plus, I did have some science and business courses, like chemistry, biology, genetics, etc., but a biology degree isn't a cutting edge STEM degree.

I have since developed a more mature outlook on life, but I still don't know why there aren't lots of high paying jobs around for Gen Xers as baby boomers continue to retire?

At least the dream got me through my degrees.  Had this not existed, I would never have gone to college.  I tried to get into General Electric once.  For some reason, had I made it to the top, I think I could have run things better.  (Of course, I didn't realize how cutthroat it is in companies like that, but that's another topic).

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #436 on: December 29, 2018, 06:50:46 PM »
I should have clarified something.  I have neibors all throughout where I live who work for a major corporation that is a few miles from here.  I could ask them I'd they could get me in, except I don't think that will go far.  On the website, all current openings are in engineering, IT, and HR.  So, finally I might have a network, but not the skills.

I came down hard on the Frugalwoods because they are not like you and I.  When you think about it, and what makes for a good blog, is that they were simply at the right place at the right time--right degree, location, and friends, for BOTH partners.  I think that happens quite rarely, which is why we don't all have our own blogs.

remizidae

• Bristles
« Reply #437 on: December 29, 2018, 08:10:00 PM »

It's odd that you refer to high-paying jobs as "advantages." Most people don't get handed jobs on a silver platter; we plan for them, work for them, develop skills, and sacrifice for a higher income. Over decades.

It seems like you're unhappy about your job situation. You must be working pretty hard to change it, right? Because that might do more good than envying strangers who are richer than you.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #438 on: December 29, 2018, 08:35:41 PM »
Networking.  Nonexistent.  I just don't know folks in major corporations except a few folks back when I got out of college and they didn't do anything for me.  Sure, I mowed their lawn nicely but I wasn't one of them!  And, growing up lower middle class with folks who keep to themselves, how do you develop such network?

By kicking ass at your job.  By being the guy who gets shit done.  Not necessarily working long hours, but working productive hours.  The boss may not appreciate your efforts, but your co-workers will notice.  As your co-workers move up the ladder and onto different companies they'll want and need people are good at what they do.  When they need that person, they will pick up the phone and call you.  That's how you develop your network. 

And if you get shit done and kick ass always, then people don't care if you work from home and are willing to pay you amazing salaries.  That's how you do it.  Simple, not easy. 

Annie101

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #439 on: December 29, 2018, 08:53:23 PM »

I will say I credit them for me finding out about both the Buy Nothing Group and DAF- both of which have been really really helpful.  MMM gets credit for index funds; we'd only used managed funds before I found him.  All the "pack your lunch", "buy less", "bike to work"- I didn't need a blogger for that.

What is DAF?  I read "Meet the Frugalwoods" and really enjoyed it, but I don't remember DAF.  I love my Buy Nothing group (which I have been in for years) so I don't want to miss out on something else that might be similarly helpful.  Thanks!

Bublik2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #440 on: December 29, 2018, 09:06:25 PM »
I can't for the life of me understand all the hate that is surrounding this topic. They never claimed they came from poverty and simply write about their lifestyle.

If you don't like their blog don't read it. The losers/haters in life never ceases to amaze me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marble_faun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #441 on: December 30, 2018, 12:15:18 AM »
Yes, I know this NOW, but one's brain doesn't simply grasp these things when one is in college aged 18 to 22.  I guess it does for some folks, and they study logical things like business and engineering.  I grew up lower middle class in an area with a lot of wealth.  Trust fund babies and such.  My parents made sacrifices I wasn't even aware of until recently just to survive.  Some scary stuff; going over to the grandparents to eat was fun, but the real reason is the money ran out.  And nothing exorbitant at all there, that's what it took to just survive.

I got into the local state university and I had enough sense to start out with some accounting and economics courses.  My only goal at that time was to get out as soon as possible and get a stellar career with a major corporation.  I didn't care what I did, just as long as I made a ton of money...enough to trounce those trust fund babies.  The counselor asked me what I wanted to do and I told her I wanted to work for a major corporation and she told me corporations love liberal arts graduates.  WORST ADVICE I EVER GOT!!!  I did such, and because it was an easy track, I graduated a semester early.  I thought I was doing this to get such a job, but all I landed was a job that paid 25 cents more than minimum wage with no benefits!

After several years, I did get a government position, that was dead end.  Got another degree, another government job, only slightly better.  Not worth the years I was out of the workforce.

Lessons learned:  Myself, yes develop a social network, should have majored in business or engineering.  (But why do that if you are told the easier route is just as good?).  Colleges, options should be to major in business, science, or engineering.  Get rid of the fluff.  Plus, I did have some science and business courses, like chemistry, biology, genetics, etc., but a biology degree isn't a cutting edge STEM degree.

I have since developed a more mature outlook on life, but I still don't know why there aren't lots of high paying jobs around for Gen Xers as baby boomers continue to retire?

At least the dream got me through my degrees.  Had this not existed, I would never have gone to college.  I tried to get into General Electric once.  For some reason, had I made it to the top, I think I could have run things better.  (Of course, I didn't realize how cutthroat it is in companies like that, but that's another topic).

I agree that a liberal arts degree isn't for everyone, but it sounds like you did not make the most of the opportunities available.

As you described it, your motivation in college wasn't to learn anything... but to make tons of money doing [???] and to show up the rich kids.  You then sailed through college on the "easy track," expecting someone would just hand you a great job at the end.

The Frugalwoods majored in what you call "fluff": Creative Writing and Political Science. They've had some lucky breaks, but there were also elements of gumption, drive, playing to their strengths, and interacting well with others that all came together.

As a side note, your writing has a lot of grammatical errors and odd phrasings that are not exuding a "well-educated, polished corporate leader" vibe.  (Maybe you are not a native English speaker? In which case that is understandable.)  You might want to get some help in this area if you want a better white-collar job.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #442 on: December 30, 2018, 05:02:08 AM »
I can't for the life of me understand all the hate that is surrounding this topic. They never claimed they came from poverty and simply write about their lifestyle.

If you don't like their blog don't read it. The losers/haters in life never ceases to amaze me.

Exactly!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #443 on: December 30, 2018, 05:28:27 AM »

I will say I credit them for me finding out about both the Buy Nothing Group and DAF- both of which have been really really helpful.  MMM gets credit for index funds; we'd only used managed funds before I found him.  All the "pack your lunch", "buy less", "bike to work"- I didn't need a blogger for that.

What is DAF?  I read "Meet the Frugalwoods" and really enjoyed it, but I don't remember DAF.  I love my Buy Nothing group (which I have been in for years) so I don't want to miss out on something else that might be similarly helpful.  Thanks!

Donor Advised Funds.
It worked as a way to maximize the tax advantage of charitable giving for us.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #444 on: December 30, 2018, 06:26:22 AM »
I actually figured out who they are by searching on line real estate records in the area they purchased their house in 2012 and a low price per square foot.  Didn't take long...

Why? I understand curiosity, but trying to discover the identities of anonymous online bloggers is really not the best use of your time.

This just sounds like sour grapes. You really don't know, and are telling yourself he "cheated" somehow in order to make yourself feel better.

My only goal at that time was to get out as soon as possible and get a stellar career with a major corporation.  I didn't care what I did, just as long as I made a ton of money...enough to trounce those trust fund babies.

I understand this, as I also grew up lower-middle class, surrounded by wealth (or apparent wealth). You and I both know that those people aren't thinking of you anymore, and I hope you're no longer thinking of them. Holding on to that kind of resentment really does nothing good for you, and definitely doesn't affect them at all.

Is this the point where I recommend you read up on the truly wealthy? They don't make a lot of money by working for major corporations, they founded them. They started their own businesses and sacrificed everything to make $$$.

I tried to get into General Electric once.  For some reason, had I made it to the top, I think I could have run things better.

Really? I doubt it - there's a certain mindset needed to run megacorps, certain personalities that excel at that kind of thing, and if you don't have it, you just don't have it. Most of us don't.

There's just... a lot of anger and resentment in your posts so far, and while that can feel good, it doesn't actually do anything to help you make your life better. Yes, some people get dealt a better hand in life than others, but you don't get to choose that - all you can do is play your hand, not someone else's.

Stick around - there are lots of people here making the kind of money you do, or less. You could pick up some great tips on reducing expenses, setting up your own business on the side, etc. But you need to focus on you, right now, and stop wasting your time comparing your life to what-could-have-been.

MrBojangles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #445 on: December 30, 2018, 09:12:57 AM »
Identifying the identities of the Frugalwoods didn't take much time at all.  I believe I was multitasking when I did it, sitting on the toilet or waiting for a train or something...

I wanted to find out who they were to see what their jobs were.  I then discovered that she worked for WGBH and he worked for ActBlue.  Probably $80 to $100k jobs in the Boston area, maybe they crack $200k combined.

So, when I discovered what Nate makes ALONE, it seemed like a bit of a scam.  Yes.  I am jealous, too.  It is something I am passionate about.  I mean, it seems to me my university would have their best interest in mind.  I make a ton of money, and can give some back to my university.  Win-win situation.  Even when I was there, a sports arena was being built, courtesy of a wealthy donor.  Good, I thought!  Me next!  This was obviously a success story as most where I went to were lower middle class.  That's another topic, but segregation is alive and well in this country.  Sure, there are always exceptions, but the rich go to Harvard and Yale, not because they're brilliant.  Likewise, folks like me go to bullshit State U.  It's like that for a reason...

I sound bitter about this, almost rabid, perhaps, and I'm sorry...

Yes, those rich folks don't care one whit about me, even the lower middle class folks I went to high school with have scattered.  The rich folks all went to private schools early on.  Segregation starts young.  The better off stayed behind, worked in a family business.  A few became tradesmen.  The rest had to scatter.  No where really to work there.  It almost feels like my whole entire high school class was on a ship that went down and I was the only survivor.  I am not on Facebook; perhaps if I was, it would be better.

As I have gotten older, I have discovered the truly wealthy form their own businesses.  I failed to realize this growing up.  To me, small businesses equalled minimum wage.  Of course, it did so for me, but family members not so much.  I think to myself, why didn't I think to form Amazon or something, but even that company had a substantial initial investment by Jeff Bezos' parents.

The part about GE...I meant to say that had somehow I been made CEO in 2001, I surely could have done a better job.  Who wouldn't have?  Do I have what it takes to be a CEO?  Certainly not, too introverted for one.  I always thought that I probably didn't have what it takes, but hey, if I do, great!  If not, resign quietly with a severance package and I am set for life.  (As you can see, I like the get rick quick approach!)

I live well beneath my means, and was FIRE before I even knew about it.  But, it isn't all bad.  I could retire tomorrow and live modestly if I need to, and I have a pension.  I can retire with a pension in a little over 10 years, so I shall plug away until then.  My enjoyment truly is a buy and hold approach to stocks.  For me, the ideal job would be a salary of $300-$500k a year so I could comfortably invest regularly, a quiet office, a computer, and a Wall Street Journal.

I cannot understand how most folks are NOT FIRE.  Yes, I get it that there are expenses like health care and college, and college is designed to make one rely on credit from a young age.  But I don't understand the allure of restaurants, fancy vacations, etc.  Restaurants are never good, are way overpriced, and you don't know how your food is prepared.  I do enjoy going to the UK every few years.  Hostels are a bargain, why pay a lot for a fancy hotel?  Your eyes are closed most of the time anyways.

I have never seen the inside of a country club, would feel uncomfortable at this point doing so, I think. 

I am ashamed that I am a government employee.  We really are detested.  Not getting paid until this shutdown ends.  I get no real perks, which is a downer, no bonus at Christmas.  But, on the other hand, my expenses are minimal relative to my job.  I can wear casual, cheap clothes, drive a generic car with 137,500 miles on it, etc.

There ARE many positives to my current position, just I feel like I could have been an asset at a major corporation.

It isn't necessarily your course of study that gets you ahead in life.  An English Lit degree from Harvard or Yale is far more valuable than a mathematics degree from good old State U.

Again, I know I often come across as bitter, and I apologize.  Just trying to point out the way I see things...warped or otherwise.

wordnerd

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #446 on: December 30, 2018, 09:52:40 AM »
Hey, Mr. Bojangles. I think it's perfectly normal to have those kinds of feelings and very healthy to acknowledge and work through them. It's when you project them onto two people you don't know that it becomes problematic. As you say, you will be FIREd. Your journey is different from theirs. Wishing you luck on yours.

mathlete

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #447 on: December 30, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »

Lol. Anyone who identifies a rich person as engaging in impropriety is just a loser or a hater. Now who does that remind me of...

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #448 on: December 30, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »
Wow! This discussion is still going?

A few things:

-The Frugalwoods are not anonymous. When you look up the book on Amazon, Mrs. Frugalwood's name is there as author. She and her husband are addressed by their real names in the various media outlets they interviewed with for the book's promotion.

-In less than three years the Frugalwoods made over $300k/yr and saved 75-80% post-tax so that combined with the $4.4k/mo rent from their former residence, apparently they are financial independent. Bully for them. That's probably the fastest FIRE timeframe I've heard of.

-For reasons not publicly disclosed, instead of owning their financial reality Mrs. Frugalwoods describes her and her family as "middle class", "non-profit salaries" and "not investment banking salaries", which is misleading and dishonest. Fans who thought the branding of the Frugalwoods was reality and not whitewashed fantasy had/have the feels about that; I don't blame them.

-The Frugalwoods no longer live what most of us would qualify as a frugal lifestyle according to their monthly budget. For example, they spent over $1,000 on groceries last month. I get it; Mr. Frugalwoods is still pulling in a huge salary. Their FIRE nest egg is untouched and they appear to still be saving a significant portion of their income. But it does increase the divide between the blog branding and reality.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 01:12:16 PM by tralfamadorian »

Bublik2002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #449 on: December 30, 2018, 10:18:01 AM »

Lol. Anyone who identifies a rich person as engaging in impropriety is just a loser or a hater. Now who does that remind me of...

What's inappropriate? That they make more money than you? Go out and make more. This is the easiest country on the planet to get ahead... I'm an immigrant college dropout age 35. I have never made less than 300k a year since age 21.. I work hard and you should as well.