Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1299843 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #4350 on: May 25, 2023, 03:44:33 AM »
We recently bought a larger home and needed a couple of beds.  After choosing memory foam mattresses I realized that they would be very difficult to move.  They come compressed in a heavy box.  When you unpack them they decompress and become a heavy floppy mass.  They are impossible for one person to carry.  I don't know what the "trick" is, but it would be very hard for two people to move our queen-size memory foam mattress upstairs.  We needed a flexible mattress for the reclining master bed, but I regret buying one for the bed downstairs.  IMO, a quality rigid mattress sleeps just as well.

I used to work in a furniture store back in 2014-2015, and at the time I was given the impression that memory foam mattresses were a dead technology that nobody wanted anymore. Of the 20 or so mattress types that we sold in store, only two were memory foam, and we only sold a small handful in the year and a half that I worked there. The general consensus was that they were inferior to traditional mattresses in pretty much every way. In recent years though it seems as if they've started making a comeback in popularity, and I'm really not sure why.

Just a guess, but I think the rise of delivered-to-your-door, online order companies like Casper, Purple and Avacado Green maybe driving that trend? GenZ and us Millennials aren’t as shy about making large purchases online without trying it out first and really dislike the idea of going to a showroom with a sales person. Foam mattresses fit in a box  - spring mattresses can’t.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4351 on: May 25, 2023, 07:36:33 AM »
We recently bought a larger home and needed a couple of beds.  After choosing memory foam mattresses I realized that they would be very difficult to move.  They come compressed in a heavy box.  When you unpack them they decompress and become a heavy floppy mass.  They are impossible for one person to carry.  I don't know what the "trick" is, but it would be very hard for two people to move our queen-size memory foam mattress upstairs.  We needed a flexible mattress for the reclining master bed, but I regret buying one for the bed downstairs.  IMO, a quality rigid mattress sleeps just as well.

I used to work in a furniture store back in 2014-2015, and at the time I was given the impression that memory foam mattresses were a dead technology that nobody wanted anymore. Of the 20 or so mattress types that we sold in store, only two were memory foam, and we only sold a small handful in the year and a half that I worked there. The general consensus was that they were inferior to traditional mattresses in pretty much every way. In recent years though it seems as if they've started making a comeback in popularity, and I'm really not sure why.

We'd purchased a mechanical reclining bed frame, so we needed a flexible mattress.  The one we got was formulated to remain cool, instead of building up heat.  Since we'd never had one before it seemed "special".  We also needed a mattress for DD's bed & of course, she wanted a special mattress too.  The fact that they'd be a PITA to move hadn't occurred to me until after we'd hauled it downstairs & wrestled it onto her bed.  We've been happy with them.   

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4352 on: May 25, 2023, 08:52:49 AM »

Two things: Memory foam has improved a lot, and memory foam mattresses are a lot cheaper.

Just a guess, but I think the rise of delivered-to-your-door, online order companies like Casper, Purple and Avacado Green maybe driving that trend? GenZ and us Millennials aren’t as shy about making large purchases online without trying it out first and really dislike the idea of going to a showroom with a sales person. Foam mattresses fit in a box  - spring mattresses can’t.

When I needed to buy a mattress, I did go to several showrooms, but the salespeople in both completely and totally ignored my millennial self, and everything there 3-4 times as expensive as a memory foam mattress purchased online.

Feeling sick of this process, I ended up asking a friend where she got her guest room mattress, which I had slept on and found very comfortable, and she told me. It was an online purchase, and I bought it.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #4353 on: May 25, 2023, 10:26:53 AM »

Two things: Memory foam has improved a lot, and memory foam mattresses are a lot cheaper.

When I needed to buy a mattress, I did go to several showrooms, but the salespeople in both completely and totally ignored my millennial self, and everything there 3-4 times as expensive as a memory foam mattress purchased online.

Feeling sick of this process, I ended up asking a friend where she got her guest room mattress, which I had slept on and found very comfortable, and she told me. It was an online purchase, and I bought it.

Mattress salespeople seem to be right up there with used car salesmen. The only time I ever had a non-sleazy interaction was at a department store. And the entire market seems designed to avoid any comparison shopping.

I am actually in the market for a mattress right now. The reviews on foam mattresses all seem to indicate that they sleep "hot".  Anyone have any real world experience on this?

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4354 on: May 25, 2023, 10:59:48 AM »
I am actually in the market for a mattress right now. The reviews on foam mattresses all seem to indicate that they sleep "hot".  Anyone have any real world experience on this?

They do sleep hotter because you sink into them/they conform to your body. There are a lot of different types, though, and some are better than others. I really like my latex topper and it has holes bored through it for breathability (although I think it's still warm). I like extreme softness in a mattress and you're just going to be warmer if you're sinking in deeper, there's no way around that. Unless you have an actively cooled bed, I guess.

But if you control your bedroom temperature it's not the end of the world. If you're in menopause it might not be great.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4355 on: May 25, 2023, 11:41:16 AM »
The reviews on foam mattresses all seem to indicate that they sleep "hot".  Anyone have any real world experience on this?

I honestly haven't noticed that they are hotter. I sleep with a fan on me in the summer and eventually have AC (when it's 95 degrees at nighttime, I don't think any mattress can save you). But I also always have a waterproof cover on any mattress I use, which might negate any heat-wicking property a spring mattress might have.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4356 on: May 25, 2023, 11:49:20 AM »
The reviews on foam mattresses all seem to indicate that they sleep "hot".  Anyone have any real world experience on this?

I honestly haven't noticed that they are hotter. I sleep with a fan on me in the summer and eventually have AC (when it's 95 degrees at nighttime, I don't think any mattress can save you). But I also always have a waterproof cover on any mattress I use, which might negate any heat-wicking property a spring mattress might have.

I haven't noticed a heat difference,  although I did go for one that said "cooling " or some such. I'm a light sleeper so I do better on foam because I don't notice my partner moving around as much.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4357 on: May 25, 2023, 11:55:21 AM »
I do better on foam because I don't notice my partner moving around as much.

I loved that quality of them at first! But it does have the downside that eventually, my child and all my animals figured out that they can climb into my bed without waking me (and thus being returned to their own beds) as long as they don't actually touch me. But they inevitably DO touch me and then act highly offended that I return them to their own beds.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4358 on: May 25, 2023, 12:13:49 PM »
Heat seems to be related to the hardness of the mattress, not the design of it.  A soft sprung or foam mattress will feel warmer to me than a hard one.  Of course, the floor is much cooler than any mattress. . .

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4359 on: May 25, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
Heat seems to be related to the hardness of the mattress, not the design of it.  A soft sprung or foam mattress will feel warmer to me than a hard one.  Of course, the floor is much cooler than any mattress. . .

Not my floor!  Radiant floor heating :-P

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4360 on: May 25, 2023, 12:29:55 PM »
Mattress salespeople seem to be right up there with used car salesmen. The only time I ever had a non-sleazy interaction was at a department store. And the entire market seems designed to avoid any comparison shopping.
From what I've heard, the entire industry takes steps to prevent comparison shopping.  Manufacturers sell the same mattress as several different models to different retailers specifically for this purpose.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4361 on: May 25, 2023, 12:36:36 PM »
From what I've heard, the entire industry takes steps to prevent comparison shopping.  Manufacturers sell the same mattress as several different models to different retailers specifically for this purpose.

I saw this the other day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvlA9UxGvSg

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4362 on: May 25, 2023, 02:39:59 PM »

Ours was specifically marketed as being designed not to get hot.  As far as we can tell it doesn't get hot.  I don't recall the brand, but being mustachian I remember that a queen size was about $800 in 2019.  I could check to see if there's a label if you care.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4363 on: May 25, 2023, 02:41:56 PM »
I do better on foam because I don't notice my partner moving around as much.

I loved that quality of them at first! But it does have the downside that eventually, my child and all my animals figured out that they can climb into my bed without waking me (and thus being returned to their own beds) as long as they don't actually touch me. But they inevitably DO touch me and then act highly offended that I return them to their own beds.

Snoring will solve that problem.  lol 

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #4364 on: May 25, 2023, 09:14:36 PM »

Foam mattresses and memory foam mattresses are two completely separate things. Nearly all of the mattresses we sold were foam cell mattresses. Memory foam is a different technology altogether.

I've always found foam cell mattresses to be far superior to memory foam. Like, it's not even a contest. As others have said, memory foam tends to get extremely hot. It also tends to be extremely firm, which I personally am not a fan of. I like plush mattresses, which to my understanding just don't exist within the memory foam category.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 09:20:26 PM by Valley of Plenty »

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #4365 on: May 25, 2023, 09:30:41 PM »

Ours was specifically marketed as being designed not to get hot.  As far as we can tell it doesn't get hot.  I don't recall the brand, but being mustachian I remember that a queen size was about $800 in 2019.  I could check to see if there's a label if you care.

Thanks for the offer. It looks like we are going with a traditional spring mattress, so no need.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4366 on: May 26, 2023, 07:31:50 AM »

Foam mattresses and memory foam mattresses are two completely separate things. Nearly all of the mattresses we sold were foam cell mattresses. Memory foam is a different technology altogether.

I've always found foam cell mattresses to be far superior to memory foam. Like, it's not even a contest. As others have said, memory foam tends to get extremely hot. It also tends to be extremely firm, which I personally am not a fan of. I like plush mattresses, which to my understanding just don't exist within the memory foam category.

Weird.  I've never found a remotely hard memory foam mattress.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4367 on: May 26, 2023, 08:01:35 AM »

It's all relative.  You sleep on the floor - all foam mattresses will be softer than your typical floor.  They are all much harder than the 'pillow top' versions currently for sale.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4368 on: May 26, 2023, 08:05:20 AM »

Mine calls itself "medium," but it's quite firm. I completely hate super-soft mattresses and this one replaced a cotton futon that I slept on for over a year. It conforms, but it doesn't give, if that makes any sense. What I like is that there's no "hammocking." I feel like I'm sleeping straight, the way I did on my futon, but with no hard spots (I'm a side sleeper).

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4369 on: May 26, 2023, 09:36:24 AM »

I have a memory foam pillow, and it's temperature sensitive. The colder your bedroom the firmer it gets. My building used to get freezing in bad cold snaps and my pillow would be like a rock.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4370 on: May 26, 2023, 10:39:54 AM »

I have a memory foam pillow, and it's temperature sensitive. The colder your bedroom the firmer it gets. My building used to get freezing in bad cold snaps and my pillow would be like a rock.

I was about to say this. I have a tempurpedic and so does my mom, but my house is warm and hers is cold. Mine is soft and hers is like lying on concrete.

fuzzy math

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4371 on: May 27, 2023, 09:55:09 AM »
A new Ford Bronco.

Not the Bronco sport which looks like all the other cheap plastic Fords on the road. The spendy ass metal looking Bronco. They're like $65k to start. My dad had (and still has) a 93 Bronco. I had no idea I had such childhood nostalgia until I started seeing these vehicles on the road everywhere.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4372 on: May 27, 2023, 10:53:30 AM »
Doing something new and fun for my birthday. I discovered Palm Springs' Splash House festival last night, and now I want to go!

https://splashhouse.com/hotel-packages/

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4373 on: May 27, 2023, 02:20:54 PM »
Doing something new and fun for my birthday. I discovered Palm Springs' Splash House festival last night, and now I want to go!

I saw that first picture with all the people, and the introvert in me wanted to curl up in the corner. I like people, but don't do crowds.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4374 on: May 27, 2023, 06:31:42 PM »

I saw that first picture with all the people, and the introvert in me wanted to curl up in the corner. I like people, but don't do crowds.

I can do it for a couple hours, and then I'm done. Which is why you get a room with a patio, so you can watch from afar, and leave when you want. :D

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #4375 on: May 30, 2023, 02:28:59 PM »
I didn't know it was stupid until I asked the price. Wife wants a greenhouse. Small, but traditional, with a brick knee wall, aluminum and glass, no power or water. The concrete pad already exists. But small, only 8 by 8 (64 square feet). Called a well known company, they said no problem, I would have to get the brick done myself to their specifications and then they would come out and install, earliest available was right before Christmas. Cost? $35,000.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4376 on: May 30, 2023, 02:37:20 PM »
I didn't know it was stupid until I asked the price. Wife wants a greenhouse. Small, but traditional, with a brick knee wall, aluminum and glass, no power or water. The concrete pad already exists. But small, only 8 by 8 (64 square feet). Called a well known company, they said no problem, I would have to get the brick done myself to their specifications and then they would come out and install, earliest available was right before Christmas. Cost? $35,000.

Ridiculous.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4377 on: June 02, 2023, 08:10:24 AM »
I’m not really sure if this is dumb or not, but the price is definitely holding me back. I want to ditch my cheaper gym and join the nicer one. I typically work out 2-3 times a week at lunch, and the cheaper gym I currently go to has ditched the towels. Which sounds stupid, just bring a towel, but I hate having a damp towel in my car for the rest of the afternoon after I work out. The nice gym also has an outdoor pool, and pools are in short supply here. The nice gym also has daycare, so my wife can go to the gym on days when she’s home with the kids (she works 3x a week and is home 2x)

The nice gym is $95/month for the family though, which is more than double the $44/month we currently pay. I think I might take the leap though.

Stupid or not stupid though?

afuera

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4378 on: June 02, 2023, 09:00:09 AM »
I’m not really sure if this is dumb or not, but the price is definitely holding me back. I want to ditch my cheaper gym and join the nicer one. I typically work out 2-3 times a week at lunch, and the cheaper gym I currently go to has ditched the towels. Which sounds stupid, just bring a towel, but I hate having a damp towel in my car for the rest of the afternoon after I work out. The nice gym also has an outdoor pool, and pools are in short supply here. The nice gym also has daycare, so my wife can go to the gym on days when she’s home with the kids (she works 3x a week and is home 2x)

The nice gym is $95/month for the family though, which is more than double the $44/month we currently pay. I think I might take the leap though.

NOT STUPID!  We pay $95/month for family gym membership at the YMCA which is extremely nice with a pool, classes, etc.   The daycare itself is worth the cost of the whole membership just for the break it gives my house spouse from our two feral children.  It is the single best thing we spend money on for overall quality of life improvement.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4379 on: June 02, 2023, 09:15:38 AM »

As I was reading, I was prepared to say "stupid" as I was reading about the towels.  But as I kept reading, I think it's not stupid at all.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4380 on: June 02, 2023, 09:44:47 AM »
I pay more than that each month for a gym with no towels, daycare, equipment, or air conditioning . . . where the gym owner regularly slams me into the ground and crushes me, and yells at me if I'm not working hard enough.  :P

FIRE Artist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4381 on: June 02, 2023, 10:43:59 AM »

Stupid, especially if you are doing all the masonry yourself on top of that price,  most hardware chains and Costco sell green house kits that you bolt together.  That is the way if you don’t want to build totally from scratch.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4382 on: June 05, 2023, 07:19:18 AM »

NOT STUPID!  We pay $95/month for family gym membership at the YMCA which is extremely nice with a pool, classes, etc.   The daycare itself is worth the cost of the whole membership just for the break it gives my house spouse from our two feral children.  It is the single best thing we spend money on for overall quality of life improvement.

Second this. Another long-term Y member here, kids spent time in the daycare, with amazing staff.
Wife and/or I had worry-free workouts or spin/yoga/group exercise classes.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4383 on: June 05, 2023, 11:25:16 AM »

Second this. Another long-term Y member here, kids spent time in the daycare, with amazing staff.
Wife and/or I had worry-free workouts or spin/yoga/group exercise classes.

Hm, interesting.  So our "cheap" gym is a Y also, and the website says there's a daycare, but they haven't staffed it since Covid.  We didn't have a kid when we joined 5 years ago, so it wasn't a factor then, but now its annoying.  But then again, this IS Asheville and everything is worse here. 

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4384 on: June 07, 2023, 07:03:03 AM »
After US auto manufacturers continually making trucks larger and more expensive monstrosities, it appears that they've finally realized that there's a demand small trucks with good gas mileage at a reasonable price. Although my current vehicle is just under 10 years old, the Ford Maverick is tempting as it gets north of 40 mpg [1] and can be had for about $25k out the door (if ordered from Ford without ridiculous dealer markup).

Hopefully by the time my current vehicle conks out there will be a good supply of used small trucks that get decent gas mileage.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4385 on: June 07, 2023, 08:37:34 AM »
After US auto manufacturers continually making trucks larger and more expensive monstrosities, it appears that they've finally realized that there's a demand small trucks with good gas mileage at a reasonable price. Although my current vehicle is just under 10 years old, the Ford Maverick is tempting as it gets north of 40 mpg [1] and can be had for about $25k out the door (if ordered from Ford without ridiculous dealer markup).

Hopefully by the time my current vehicle conks out there will be a good supply of used small trucks that get decent gas mileage.

Until the late-90s you could configure a Ford F-150 that was smaller than the current Maverick. The original Ford Ranger (1983-92) was up to two feet shorter than a Maverick. I owned a 1995 Nissan Pickup and it was shorter that a current day Honda Civic hatchback. Modern vehicle bloat is ridiculous.

LaineyAZ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4386 on: June 07, 2023, 09:23:22 AM »
Speaking of vehicles, I'm looking forward to the 2024 release of the new VW electric bus.
https://abc7.com/volkswagen-bus-vw-id-buzz-electric-vehicles-2024-new/13335715/

Can't afford one, but I bet there's a lot of us of the generation who remember the original VW bus and would love to have this new version.  It would tickle me to see some of these on the road.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4387 on: June 07, 2023, 09:26:29 AM »
I am once again lusting after a Tesla model 3, lol.

Some brand new ones in inventory are 38k now, 31k after tax credit. Comparable in price to some Toyota Camry's.

SnipTheDog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4388 on: June 08, 2023, 08:52:55 AM »
With fast DC charging, EV's are getting much more attractive to me.  I can fully charge a car in under 30 minutes away from home.  Pretty cool stuff.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4389 on: June 09, 2023, 05:27:49 AM »
With fast DC charging, EV's are getting much more attractive to me.  I can fully charge a car in under 30 minutes away from home.  Pretty cool stuff.

Yep - there are several more supercharger stations close to where I live now also.

I've been lusting after an electric car since about 2010 or so, when they first announced the chevy volt. I still remember loading up gm-volt.com every day and checking the latest news on the car.

Of course, I have had the same Toyota for almost 11 years now, and the thing just won't die, lol, and I refuse to just buy an electric car because I want one, even though I have 1.5M dollars. First world problems.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4390 on: June 12, 2023, 03:52:17 AM »

Of course, I have had the same Toyota for almost 11 years now, and the thing just won't die, lol, and I refuse to just buy an electric car because I want one, even though I have 1.5M dollars. First world problems.

Your Toyota won’t stop being driven just because you sell it to someone else, and the used market remains wonky with older vehicles selling for a lot more than they typically would.  If you’ve got flexibility with buYing/selling and can self finance, now is a pretty good time to get the EV you might drive for another 15 years.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4391 on: June 12, 2023, 09:07:33 AM »

Your Toyota won’t stop being driven just because you sell it to someone else, and the used market remains wonky with older vehicles selling for a lot more than they typically would.  If you’ve got flexibility with buYing/selling and can self finance, now is a pretty good time to get the EV you might drive for another 15 years.

While I'm sure I could easily buy a Tesla, and this would satisfy my lust for an electric vehicle, realistically there are a LOT of other things that I can spend 31k on that I think would lead to higher levels of long term happiness, I think.

I will keep driving the old trusty Toyota for now and revisit this question when it dies someday.

Or at this rate I might just give it to my oldest son in a year when he starts driving, then go buy the Tesla.

It would certainly be ironic for him since he rode around in the Toyota as a toddler in a car seat at one point in time, and next year may wind up driving the Toyota around himself, lol. 😂

Kids grow up way too fast it seems. Or maybe I'm just getting old.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4392 on: June 12, 2023, 10:15:11 AM »
I will keep driving the old trusty Toyota for now and revisit this question when it dies someday.

Or at this rate I might just give it to my oldest son in a year when he starts driving, then go buy the Tesla.

It would certainly be ironic for him since he rode around in the Toyota as a toddler in a car seat at one point in time, and next year may wind up driving the Toyota around himself, lol. 😂

Kids grow up way too fast it seems. Or maybe I'm just getting old.
In 2003, shortly before we got married, DW and I bought a '95 Corolla.  A year and a half later, our first kid was born.

That kid, and our second, both learned to drive in that Corolla.  Our third kid would likely have learned to drive in it this fall, had the car not been totalled in an accident a year and a half ago.  At 250,000 miles, it was running just as well as when we bought it with 87,000 miles 18.5 years earlier.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #4393 on: June 16, 2023, 08:21:34 PM »
I saw a thread on facebook about drones recently, wherein people were sharing insanely high quality videos taken by their super fancy drones.

I kind of want a drone now.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4394 on: June 16, 2023, 10:59:13 PM »
I bought one for my last job. It was fun to learn to fly, and it was super useful for photos (construction type stuff). Great photos, too. But as for personal use, I just couldn’t do it. $1500, another thing to charge, more photos to manage… it’s all too much.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #4395 on: June 17, 2023, 10:55:58 PM »
I bought one for my last job. It was fun to learn to fly, and it was super useful for photos (construction type stuff). Great photos, too. But as for personal use, I just couldn’t do it. $1500, another thing to charge, more photos to manage… it’s all too much.

Some people are starting to use them for hunting, which I think is super cool and useful. With thermal imaging you can see a deer clear as day from upwards of a mile away. Heck of a lot more efficient than just sitting in a tree stand for several hours waiting for something to maybe wander into your field of view.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4396 on: June 18, 2023, 09:52:52 AM »
That seems like cheating.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4397 on: June 18, 2023, 10:49:48 AM »
Up here in AK flying a drone is treated the same as flying a plan for hunting purposes. You’re not allowed to hunt until the next day. They also don’t allow any wireless communication device to be used while hunting. It seems to be working as a system. While a little personal sized quadcopter would be awesome for accessing hard to get places I’m not looking forward to drop in quality of company the easier access will bring. Sometimes it’s nice to be somewhere that is only accessible by hard work…

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #4398 on: June 18, 2023, 06:20:27 PM »
That seems like cheating.

I think it seems like an advantage. I'm not sure I'd consider it "cheating" since hunting isn't exactly a competitive sport. And for those who hunt for food rather than for sport, it's certainly no more cheating than buying meat from a store is :P

Still, it would take many years for the grocery savings of hunting to offset the price of the drone. Probably more years than I'd ever get before it breaks.

Up here in AK flying a drone is treated the same as flying a plan for hunting purposes. You’re not allowed to hunt until the next day. They also don’t allow any wireless communication device to be used while hunting. It seems to be working as a system. While a little personal sized quadcopter would be awesome for accessing hard to get places I’m not looking forward to drop in quality of company the easier access will bring. Sometimes it’s nice to be somewhere that is only accessible by hard work…

I'm not aware of any such laws where I live, but that could just be because I've never had a reason to research it. It may very well be the same here. Would still be a big help in identifying the most trafficked areas for game, even if you had to wait a day after flying it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 06:24:52 PM by Valley of Plenty »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4399 on: June 18, 2023, 10:44:59 PM »
Almost never here for cars but when will they make an electric Jimny? I feel like Suzuki is leaving a lot of money on the table.