Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288316 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #4300 on: May 16, 2023, 08:04:06 AM »
I banned anyone from ever buying me gifts with the only exception being ice breaker socks. It's glorious.

My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I briefly considered waiting and putting them on my wishlist, but the socks I like are cheap white cotton athletic socks (cushioned on the bottom to protect my tumor and heel spurs and just enough elastic not to come off with my weird twisty walking). They're like $13 for a six pack. It's like putting a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread on your wishlist. I mean, sure, you want them and you'll use them, but... it's not a good gift.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4301 on: May 16, 2023, 08:19:55 AM »
I buy socks every 5-6 years . . . always between 16 - 20 pairs of identical socks.  Then I never need to waste hours of my life looking for matching socks after doing laundry.  Every sock is a match!  Eventually socks start to wear out and get holes, but since every sock is a match you can keep using them until you're down to a week's worth of very threadbare socks.

Brand of sock has never really mattered to me, but having them all identical is super important.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4302 on: May 16, 2023, 08:25:23 AM »
I banned anyone from ever buying me gifts with the only exception being ice breaker socks. It's glorious.

My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I briefly considered waiting and putting them on my wishlist, but the socks I like are cheap white cotton athletic socks (cushioned on the bottom to protect my tumor and heel spurs and just enough elastic not to come off with my weird twisty walking). They're like $13 for a six pack. It's like putting a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread on your wishlist. I mean, sure, you want them and you'll use them, but... it's not a good gift.

I used to be a sock snob, but that phase has passed.  I've been quite happy with a "good enough" sock for a number of years and finally wore them out.  I asked for replacements last Xmas & although they're not "gift worthy"  DD was still happy to buy what I'd asked for.  I'm at the point in life where I already have everything I need or want, so she was happy to just be able to get something that I'd actually use.  We, old men, are tough to shop for. 

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4303 on: May 16, 2023, 09:31:45 AM »

I used to be a sock snob, but that phase has passed.  I've been quite happy with a "good enough" sock for a number of years and finally wore them out.  I asked for replacements last Xmas & although they're not "gift worthy"  DD was still happy to buy what I'd asked for.  I'm at the point in life where I already have everything I need or want, so she was happy to just be able to get something that I'd actually use.  We, old men, are tough to shop for.

It's not your gender. And possibly not your age, much. It's that you already have everything in your life that you need - or wanted badly enough to fit it into your own purchasing plans.

It's one reason we love Amazon Wish Lists. We can add items that you can get on Amazon that we love, but struggle to purchase - for me, an example would be L'Occitane shea butter foot cream. It's great stuff, but a tube is $30 or so. I love it, and will use it, and still agonize over buying it.

The Wish Lists also allow us to put on items that you cannot get on Amazon - such as specialty tools or specialty gifts. DH frequently adds woodworking items and other shop supplies, which his brother or my sister are happy to buy for him at Christmas time.

My mom hates such items, even though they will be used - they're too "practical" and not "personal" enough for her tastes. IMO, *that's* when you get into trouble - thinking you can buy a deeply thoughtful gift for every birthday and every Christmas, that is under $40 and something they haven't bought themselves. ;)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4304 on: May 16, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »

When people ask what I’d do if I suddenly became wealthy* my stock response is: I’d run out and buy a dozen pairs of Darn Tuff socks!!

I found Darn Tough socks, and I'll never go back to anything else.  There's just no comparison.  I'd take a 5-year-old pair of Darn Toughs over a brand new pair of anything else.  Well, maybe SmartWool would be an improvement if the Darn Toughs age too much.  They may be expensive up-front, but I'd argue they're long-term-cheap because they're so comfortable and they last so long.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4305 on: May 16, 2023, 04:03:27 PM »
I buy socks every 5-6 years . . . always between 16 - 20 pairs of identical socks.  Then I never need to waste hours of my life looking for matching socks after doing laundry.  Every sock is a match!  Eventually socks start to wear out and get holes, but since every sock is a match you can keep using them until you're down to a week's worth of very threadbare socks.

Brand of sock has never really mattered to me, but having them all identical is super important.

I did this for years until I started wearing Ice Breaker socks.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4306 on: May 16, 2023, 04:04:41 PM »

It's not your gender. And possibly not your age, much. It's that you already have everything in your life that you need - or wanted badly enough to fit it into your own purchasing plans.

It's one reason we love Amazon Wish Lists. We can add items that you can get on Amazon that we love, but struggle to purchase - for me, an example would be L'Occitane shea butter foot cream. It's great stuff, but a tube is $30 or so. I love it, and will use it, and still agonize over buying it.

The Wish Lists also allow us to put on items that you cannot get on Amazon - such as specialty tools or specialty gifts. DH frequently adds woodworking items and other shop supplies, which his brother or my sister are happy to buy for him at Christmas time.

My mom hates such items, even though they will be used - they're too "practical" and not "personal" enough for her tastes. IMO, *that's* when you get into trouble - thinking you can buy a deeply thoughtful gift for every birthday and every Christmas, that is under $40 and something they haven't bought themselves. ;)

Definitely not a gender thing.

I'm impossible to shop for, hence why I banned gifts, except for Ice Breaker socks.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4307 on: May 16, 2023, 04:07:01 PM »

When people ask what I’d do if I suddenly became wealthy* my stock response is: I’d run out and buy a dozen pairs of Darn Tuff socks!!

I found Darn Tough socks, and I'll never go back to anything else.  There's just no comparison.  I'd take a 5-year-old pair of Darn Toughs over a brand new pair of anything else.  Well, maybe SmartWool would be an improvement if the Darn Toughs age too much.  They may be expensive up-front, but I'd argue they're long-term-cheap because they're so comfortable and they last so long.

Smart Wool is crap now compared to what it used to be.

Darn Tough have lifetime warranty though, right?  So they last forever as long as the company exists.

I've replaced a few pairs of Ice Breaker socks. I wear them around like slippers, often walking on asphalt, so they take a beating and they just give me new ones.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4308 on: May 16, 2023, 05:05:27 PM »

Smart Wool is crap now compared to what it used to be.

Darn Tough have lifetime warranty though, right?  So they last forever as long as the company exists.

I've replaced a few pairs of Ice Breaker socks. I wear them around like slippers, often walking on asphalt, so they take a beating and they just give me new ones.

Now that I think about it, all of mine are older than my kid, who is 9, so... if quality has declined, I wouldn't know. It's so warm where I live now I spend most of the year in no-name liner socks, all identical and purchased in bulk.

Facebook reminded me recently that in my son's infancy, I purchased 84 identical baby socks. They had gone on super sale at Target and I had some insane combination of Target coupons so that they were something like 40¢ a pair. I bought a dozen pairs in three increasing sizes. They were distinctive socks (with dinosaurs on them), and so I spent the next three years not only not needing to match socks, but not having to stand around comparing baby socks with other day care parents at the end of the day to figure out whose were whose. Everyone knew whose socks they were instantly. When he went up a size, I threw the whole drawer into a Goodwill bag and switched out to the next size up. This is my greatest parenting hack to date.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4309 on: May 17, 2023, 01:17:40 PM »
...Facebook reminded me recently that in my son's infancy, I purchased 84 identical baby socks. They had gone on super sale at Target and I had some insane combination of Target coupons so that they were something like 40¢ a pair. I bought a dozen pairs in three increasing sizes. They were distinctive socks (with dinosaurs on them), and so I spent the next three years not only not needing to match socks, but not having to stand around comparing baby socks with other day care parents at the end of the day to figure out whose were whose. Everyone knew whose socks they were instantly. When he went up a size, I threw the whole drawer into a Goodwill bag and switched out to the next size up. This is my greatest parenting hack to date.

Fantastic. I don't have kids but my frugal heart is so happy, just reading that.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4310 on: May 17, 2023, 01:49:43 PM »
If I was president of the world, there would be only one type and colour of sock that could be purchased and bed frames would be illegal.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4311 on: May 17, 2023, 01:51:43 PM »
If I was president of the world, there would be only one type and colour of sock that could be purchased and bed frames would be illegal.

This morning I thought to myself: I wonder which thread will suddenly focus on GuitarStv's hatred of beds next?

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4312 on: May 17, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »
I've become mildly obsessed with under-desk treadmills. I know no one uses them for more than a few months! I know! But that only means they're being sold on Marketplace at a steep discount all the time.

A lot of my work requires me to have very steady hands, so I doubt I could do it right while walking even at a slow pace. But I am lusting after them all the same.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4313 on: May 17, 2023, 02:25:46 PM »
Currently picturing a dystopian future where every elderly person with arthritis, every post-op surgery patient, everyone with a broken bone, every paraplegic has to crawl around on the goddamn floor every morning because some jackhole cycling enthusiast won the election for president of the world and outlawed bed frames.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4314 on: May 17, 2023, 02:46:25 PM »

This morning I thought to myself: I wonder which thread will suddenly focus on GuitarStv's hatred of beds next?

HAHAHAHAHAAHA

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4315 on: May 17, 2023, 02:52:21 PM »
Currently picturing a dystopian future where every elderly person with arthritis, every post-op surgery patient, everyone with a broken bone, every paraplegic has to crawl around on the goddamn floor every morning because some jackhole cycling enthusiast won the election for president of the world and outlawed bed frames.

Sitting here with a spinal injury and a broken femur...I can't even get down on the floor...

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4316 on: May 17, 2023, 02:53:56 PM »
I've become mildly obsessed with under-desk treadmills. I know no one uses them for more than a few months! I know! But that only means they're being sold on Marketplace at a steep discount all the time.

A lot of my work requires me to have very steady hands, so I doubt I could do it right while walking even at a slow pace. But I am lusting after them all the same.
Amusingly it's mostly normally-sedentary leisure - reading books or news, checking the forums, watching a show while chatting with friends - that has allowed me to sneak exercise in this way. If you do a fair bit of low-precision sedentary activity it may be advantageous, but once you bring a mouse into significant use it all goes out the window & you're back to standing still.

shuffler

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4317 on: May 17, 2023, 02:54:26 PM »
Typical politician.    No real platform.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4318 on: May 17, 2023, 04:48:18 PM »

Snort.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4319 on: May 17, 2023, 04:53:16 PM »
What is it about a bed frame that's problematic?  I know you, um... strongly favor sleeping on the floor.  But is a box spring and mattress on the floor meaningfully different than  a box spring and mattress on a frame of some kind? 

When movers bent my metal bed frame into some sort of modern origami object, I slept with the box spring and mattress directly on the floor for about 3 years.  The only* difference I noticed was that it seemed to get much colder in the winter, which I attributed to there being no air gap between the cold floor and the box spring.  Assuming I'm not willing to give up my mattress (spoiler alert:  I'm not), does it really matter if it's sitting on something, or not?

*I actually slightly preferred it being lower when getting in and out of bed.  But I'm a shorty and my DH is a normal-y and he prefers a bit more height, so when I found a cheap frame, we... elevated our sleeping experience. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4320 on: May 17, 2023, 06:54:53 PM »
What is it about a bed frame that's problematic?  I know you, um... strongly favor sleeping on the floor.  But is a box spring and mattress on the floor meaningfully different than  a box spring and mattress on a frame of some kind? 

When movers bent my metal bed frame into some sort of modern origami object, I slept with the box spring and mattress directly on the floor for about 3 years.  The only* difference I noticed was that it seemed to get much colder in the winter, which I attributed to there being no air gap between the cold floor and the box spring.  Assuming I'm not willing to give up my mattress (spoiler alert:  I'm not), does it really matter if it's sitting on something, or not?

*I actually slightly preferred it being lower when getting in and out of bed.  But I'm a shorty and my DH is a normal-y and he prefers a bit more height, so when I found a cheap frame, we... elevated our sleeping experience.

I much prefer it lower, which is why I use a thin box spring, like 2" thick.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4321 on: May 17, 2023, 07:14:45 PM »

Snort.

LOL

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4322 on: May 17, 2023, 09:47:42 PM »
Well, I got my new (to me) mountain bike.  Pretty pleased all around so far.  Four years old, but one of the first bikes that was pushing toward what currently constitutes 'modern' geometry, from one of the companies at the forefront of that push.  Carbon and the highest spec level with some aftermarket upgrades, but only $2k instead of the $6k it cost four years ago.  Gotta still be as mustachian as possible while buying stupid things.

I've ridden it twice, and it's night and day from my previous bike.  Even noticeably different from the 2022 29er (friend's bike) I'd been riding quite a bit.  Excels at different things than that bike, I suppose.  Now just working on selling the old bike. 

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4323 on: May 18, 2023, 08:16:36 AM »
Well, I got my new (to me) mountain bike.  Pretty pleased all around so far.  Four years old, but one of the first bikes that was pushing toward what currently constitutes 'modern' geometry, from one of the companies at the forefront of that push.  Carbon and the highest spec level with some aftermarket upgrades, but only $2k instead of the $6k it cost four years ago.  Gotta still be as mustachian as possible while buying stupid things.

I've ridden it twice, and it's night and day from my previous bike.  Even noticeably different from the 2022 29er (friend's bike) I'd been riding quite a bit.  Excels at different things than that bike, I suppose.  Now just working on selling the old bike.

Santa Cruz Tallboy?  I've got a buddy with a Tallboy3 and its still one of the best all-rounders I've ridden. 

Speaking of new-to-you mountain bikes, I've had my eye on a previous generation SC Blur, but I just have a hard time spending thousands of dollars on a used mtb.  Maybe my mind will change though. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4324 on: May 18, 2023, 02:08:05 PM »

Santa Cruz Tallboy?  I've got a buddy with a Tallboy3 and its still one of the best all-rounders I've ridden. 

Speaking of new-to-you mountain bikes, I've had my eye on a previous generation SC Blur, but I just have a hard time spending thousands of dollars on a used mtb.  Maybe my mind will change though.

Transition Sentinel.  With the terrain near me (PNW, chunky and relatively steep), I was looking for an aggressive all-mountain bike, on the border of enduro, but still wanted one that pedaled well as I don't really do park days or shuttling.  In the Santa Cruz lineup, that was more in the direction of Hightower.  Considered one that had an aftermarket linkage that increased its rear travel (similar to what came on my bike, which is now a 160/146).  Spent a good amount of time on an Ibis Ripmo AF, and definitely was looking at a few of those.  Even after just a couple of rides on the Sentinel, I can easily say that the Sentinel is a better descender, but the Ripmo had more precise steering when the switchbacks get tight. 

I'm on the verge of selling the old bike for $750.  $1250 net was more than worth it for the upgrade.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
  • Toss a Coin to Your Net Worth
« Reply #4325 on: May 19, 2023, 09:24:12 PM »

I don't understand the issue with bed frames either. I mean, I personally don't have one (I just have my box spring directly on the floor) but I've often thought about how nice it would be to have under-bed storage space, instead of 50% of my bedroom's floor space being eaten up by something I only use for sleep. I spent a few months working in a furniture store many years ago, which was where I first saw storage bedframes. Was absolutely blown away by the utility of it. In general I'm a big fan of things that have more than one practical use.

Great, now I'm lusting after an under-bed storage bed frame. Thanks a lot GuitarStv!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4326 on: May 19, 2023, 10:02:42 PM »

I don't understand the issue with bed frames either. I mean, I personally don't have one (I just have my box spring directly on the floor) but I've often thought about how nice it would be to have under-bed storage space, instead of 50% of my bedroom's floor space being eaten up by something I only use for sleep. I spent a few months working in a furniture store many years ago, which was where I first saw storage bedframes. Was absolutely blown away by the utility of it. In general I'm a big fan of things that have more than one practical use.

Great, now I'm lusting after an under-bed storage bed frame. Thanks a lot GuitarStv!

I thought the point of the frame was to allow airflow and prevent mold, but i supppose it's not necessary if you live somewhere dry.  I found a nice storage bedframe for my younger son at Goodwill for $14 and my older son complained because it was taller than his bed smh (his is nice Amish oak that I paid $200 for second hand).
« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 10:07:33 PM by Morning Glory »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4327 on: May 20, 2023, 04:37:52 AM »

Well his recommendation is no mattress, so at that point the bed frame is (as you said) just taking up floor space

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4328 on: May 20, 2023, 05:07:32 AM »
I was lusting after something yesterday that I decided not to buy...I made a mental note to put it in this thread today.

Today I forgot what I was lusting after yesterday.

Now I'm sad that I cannot post in the 'what did you not buy today' thread about what I forgot that I was lusting after.

I think I will just go for a walk instead.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4329 on: May 20, 2023, 11:19:08 AM »
I was lusting after something yesterday that I decided not to buy...I made a mental note to put it in this thread today.

Now I'm sad that I cannot post in the 'what did you not buy today' thread about what I forgot that I was lusting after.

Lust is fleeting….

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #4330 on: May 20, 2023, 06:38:27 PM »

Well his recommendation is no mattress, so at that point the bed frame is (as you said) just taking up floor space

But he didn't say he would ban mattresses, he specifically said bed frames. This implies there's something offensive about the frames themselves that makes them worse than mattresses.

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #4331 on: May 20, 2023, 06:44:25 PM »

This is my favorite response to this thread so far I think.

There's a lot to be said for the fact that we can badly want something one minute, and then 24 hours later completely forget what it was. Truly a first world conundrum

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4332 on: May 21, 2023, 05:19:47 AM »

But he didn't say he would ban mattresses, he specifically said bed frames. This implies there's something offensive about the frames themselves that makes them worse than mattresses.

This is how dictators operate. They ban the bed frames first, and then it isn’t so extreme when they outlaw the mattresses next. :-P

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4333 on: May 21, 2023, 05:27:32 AM »
We have a bed frame and a mattress -- no box.

The bed frame is a solid wood sleigh bed. It has five slats across it with five 4"x4" posts, all screwed down.  On top of these five slats, rests two half sheets of MDF -- screwed down to the slats.  This gives a rock solid base as strong as the floor itself which can never sag and never needs to be replaced.

On top of that frame is a custom mattress which simply consists of 3 layers of foam.  Pick and choose.  We chose 2" memory foam for bottom, 5" HD foam for middle and 2" latex rubber topper for the top.  We put a waterproof mattress cover over that then the sheets.  We bought the foam from https://www.thefoamfactory.com.

Most comfortable bed ever that lasts us about 15-20 years before the foam starts deteriorating; it's 15 years old now and we'll replace in a few years.  The foam total cost was around $500 if I recall.  It's a firm, yet slightly giving, comfortable setup.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 05:38:33 AM by jnw »

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4334 on: May 21, 2023, 08:21:38 AM »
Have we considered just giving @GuitarStv a stickied post to link back to with his bed philosophy?

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4335 on: May 21, 2023, 09:11:39 AM »
Have we considered just giving @GuitarStv a stickied post to link back to with his bed philosophy?

I can imagine a Dr. Seusse book about Guitar Steve. 

I will not sleep in a bed, in a nest, on a pillow, or in a tree. I will not sleep in a store, or by a door.  I will only sleep on the floor!   

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4336 on: May 21, 2023, 09:28:20 AM »
Big bed frame has gotten to the lot of you.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4337 on: May 21, 2023, 09:31:17 AM »
Big bed frame has gotten to the lot of you.

Our bed frame is queen size :)

logjammin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4338 on: May 21, 2023, 10:46:44 AM »
I've been fully FIREd for two years and have been spending $20,000/year - orders of magnitude less than my safe withdrawal rate, and I could easily spend less if I needed.

After two years of relative frugality, I am REALLY thinking of dropping the $1800 for the Pixel Fold. I've been super satisfied with Google's mid-range offerings and my 4A has served me very well, but the media consumption capabilities of the fold --- and honestly just how cool it seems -- are really, really tempting me to get something I definitely don't "need." I wish there was something for like $800 I was lusting after so I could test how I'll feel on a splurge that doesn't make up 10% of my annual spending.

Plus it comes with a Pixel Watch! Another thing I don't need, but sounds kind of cool to try and oooh yay things

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4339 on: May 21, 2023, 11:22:14 AM »
I've been fully FIREd for two years and have been spending $20,000/year - orders of magnitude less than my safe withdrawal rate, and I could easily spend less if I needed.
You know "order of magnitude" typically means 10X, right? So to be multiple orders of magnitude less you must be spending 1/100 of your potential SWR (~$2M/year). Do you have a net worth of $50M+?

logjammin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4340 on: May 21, 2023, 04:17:37 PM »
You know "order of magnitude" typically means 10X, right? So to be multiple orders of magnitude less you must be spending 1/100 of your potential SWR (~$2M/year). Do you have a net worth of $50M+?
Interesting, I hadn't been aware of that. Thank you for the vocab lesson.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4341 on: May 21, 2023, 05:22:48 PM »

Definitions are important if we wish to understand one another
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_magnitude

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4342 on: May 22, 2023, 06:43:16 AM »
We have a bed frame and a mattress -- no box.

The bed frame is a solid wood sleigh bed. It has five slats across it with five 4"x4" posts, all screwed down.  On top of these five slats, rests two half sheets of MDF -- screwed down to the slats.  This gives a rock solid base as strong as the floor itself which can never sag and never needs to be replaced.

On top of that frame is a custom mattress which simply consists of 3 layers of foam.  Pick and choose.  We chose 2" memory foam for bottom, 5" HD foam for middle and 2" latex rubber topper for the top.  We put a waterproof mattress cover over that then the sheets.  We bought the foam from https://www.thefoamfactory.com.

Most comfortable bed ever that lasts us about 15-20 years before the foam starts deteriorating; it's 15 years old now and we'll replace in a few years.  The foam total cost was around $500 if I recall.  It's a firm, yet slightly giving, comfortable setup.

Tell me more about your foam choices. Why the multi-layering? Why memory foam for the bottom? We're in dire need of a new mattress.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4343 on: May 22, 2023, 08:47:05 AM »
We recently bought a larger home and needed a couple of beds.  After choosing memory foam mattresses I realized that they would be very difficult to move.  They come compressed in a heavy box.  When you unpack them they decompress and become a heavy floppy mass.  They are impossible for one person to carry.  I don't know what the "trick" is, but it would be very hard for two people to move our queen-size memory foam mattress upstairs.  We needed a flexible mattress for the reclining master bed, but I regret buying one for the bed downstairs.  IMO, a quality rigid mattress sleeps just as well. 

logjammin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4344 on: May 22, 2023, 10:35:05 AM »

Funny thing is 1. I have a math degree and worked plenty with logarithmic functions when I was working, and 2. I keep an Anki deck of mildly-obscure words I want to learn and use property (exs: anhedonic, garrulous, ouroboros, apoplectic, pulchritudinous, etc.). Of all people out there who should have known this, I'm towards the top. I'd just only heard it in a way that meant "multiples of."

I'm realizing now that my saying "thanks for the vocab lesson" probably sounds ultra sarcastic in type, but I'm actually into getting things like this right and truly did appreciate the lesson :)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4345 on: May 22, 2023, 10:37:35 AM »
I'm realizing now that my saying "thanks for the vocab lesson" probably sounds ultra sarcastic in type, but I'm actually into getting things like this right and truly did appreciate the lesson :)
I didn't take it as sarcastic. Happy to have passed on some knowledge. =)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4346 on: May 23, 2023, 07:56:32 AM »
lusting for an expensive ($400) zojirushi bread maker, with dual paddles. this is a stupid want. there's no need for it, just some unexplainable desire.

because the cheap $60 breadmaker we have does a fine job every weekend. this one was free. ours broke after 5+ years of service. family member had a spare one lying around, same model as ours. loaves made: whole wheat bread, wheat+flax, basic white, wheat+egg, cinnamon raisin walnut, cranberry walnut, wheat+beer bread, sundried tomato, olive bread, pizza dough, strawberry jam. i don't think there's anything else that the zojirushi offers that i need.

just noticed that the el-cheapo model we have is now selling for $135 on Amazon, but there's a new model out for $90, me wants new shiny one too.

maybe i should become a bread-machine tester. then i'll really be in shape; round is a shape.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4347 on: May 24, 2023, 07:30:39 PM »

Funny thing is 1. I have a math degree and worked plenty with logarithmic functions when I was working, and 2. I keep an Anki deck of mildly-obscure words I want to learn and use property (exs: anhedonic, garrulous, ouroboros, apoplectic, pulchritudinous, etc.). Of all people out there who should have known this, I'm towards the top. I'd just only heard it in a way that meant "multiples of."

Haha
"Decimate" means exactly one order of magnitude less than what most people think it means then.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:37:26 PM by Morning Glory »

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4348 on: May 24, 2023, 07:35:07 PM »
We recently bought a larger home and needed a couple of beds.  After choosing memory foam mattresses I realized that they would be very difficult to move.  They come compressed in a heavy box.  When you unpack them they decompress and become a heavy floppy mass.  They are impossible for one person to carry.  I don't know what the "trick" is, but it would be very hard for two people to move our queen-size memory foam mattress upstairs.  We needed a flexible mattress for the reclining master bed, but I regret buying one for the bed downstairs.  IMO, a quality rigid mattress sleeps just as well.

The "trick" is ratchet straps. Lay the mattress on the straps and then fold it into a taco shape (if your helper is heavy enough or your mattress on the thin side  you can even try for a burrito). Have one person sit on the folded end while the other tightens the straps around it. Then it will fit through your door and you can use the straps as handles. The nicer ones are still really heavy for 2 people to carry up stairs though.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 07:39:06 PM by Morning Glory »

Valley of Plenty

• Bristles
« Reply #4349 on: May 25, 2023, 01:58:01 AM »

I used to work in a furniture store back in 2014-2015, and at the time I was given the impression that memory foam mattresses were a dead technology that nobody wanted anymore. Of the 20 or so mattress types that we sold in store, only two were memory foam, and we only sold a small handful in the year and a half that I worked there. The general consensus was that they were inferior to traditional mattresses in pretty much every way. In recent years though it seems as if they've started making a comeback in popularity, and I'm really not sure why.