Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288206 times)

WranglerBowman

• Stubble
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #1100 on: September 25, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
14' Oyster Tongs so I can get my own oysters whenever I'm in the mood.

Where would you store 14-feet-long tongs?

And why does Oyster Tongs sound dirty?

Oyster Tongs doesn't sound too dirty to me...oyster tonging does though...  "Hey baby, lets go oyster tonging" or  "Hey sweet thang come check out my Oyster Tong"

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1101 on: September 26, 2017, 08:20:06 PM »
Well, I just priced insurance for a C6 Z06 Corvette.  $110/month.

Suddenly, I don't want one quite so badly and I'm looking at motorcycles again (more like $110 a year to insure)...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1102 on: September 27, 2017, 09:59:38 AM »
My DH's great aunt's antique Singer 201-2 sewing machine, complete with an original Singer cabinet number 48. It's being auctioned off online as part of the estate sale. Closes tonight. Currently at $18, but it will go higher!

Needs work, but it would be pretty (and possibly quite useful) if I were to win the auction.

However, I've been really trying to cut down on acquisitions...
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 10:01:19 AM by geekette »

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1103 on: September 27, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »
My DH's great aunt's antique Singer 201-2 sewing machine, complete with an original Singer cabinet number 48. It's being auctioned off online as part of the estate sale. Closes tonight. Currently at $18, but it will go higher!

Needs work, but it would be pretty (and possibly quite useful) if I were to win the auction.

However, I've been really trying to cut down on acquisitions...

I admire your moral character..:)

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1104 on: September 29, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »

Weird, I thought it would be more.  I recall looking at WRXs when I was 22, and the insurance payment would have been more than the payment (~$350/month-ish). 

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1105 on: September 29, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »

Weird, I thought it would be more.  I recall looking at WRXs when I was 22, and the insurance payment would have been more than the payment (~$350/month-ish).

I'm 33 and C6's are a decade old now.

Tris Prior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1106 on: September 30, 2017, 10:30:13 AM »
All of the Halloween decorations. No, literally, ALL of them. I have a thing about Halloween and I leave skull/bat/spider stuff up all year round anyway, so this time of year is when I end up getting random household stuff for everyday use. I mean, doesn't *everyone* need Day of the Dead pyrex containers? (last year's splurge.)

Yesterday I stood in a World Market (where I'd just stopped in to grab a bottle of wine) telling myself, "Self, you do not need zombie flamingoes for the front yard." The struggle is real.

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1107 on: September 30, 2017, 10:37:58 AM »
New dining room chairs. I have an antique dining set, and the chairs are not comfortable. Apparently our asses were a lot smaller in the 1920's.

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1108 on: October 05, 2017, 08:25:03 AM »
This:
https://earthroamer.com/xv-lt/

I would never buy it as the price is multiple times more than what I could spend without a heart attack and I have no need for something that overbuilt/heavy duty, but it's fun to look at the expedition vehicles and imagine all the places I could go(and w/ that power bank/water bank be able to stay for a good period)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1109 on: October 05, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
This:
https://earthroamer.com/xv-lt/

I would never buy it as the price is multiple times more than what I could spend without a heart attack and I have no need for something that overbuilt/heavy duty, but it's fun to look at the expedition vehicles and imagine all the places I could go(and w/ that power bank/water bank be able to stay for a good period)

I was convinced until I read the price tag.

We require a $50,000 initial deposit and a signed sales agreement to reserve the next available production spot in your name. Prices start at $438,800.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1110 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
I just fell out of my chair.  ^^

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1111 on: October 05, 2017, 09:54:56 AM »

They also have one that's $1.5 million.

Deposit is $375k to start building.

https://earthroamer.com/xv-hd/

pdxmonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #1112 on: October 05, 2017, 10:46:36 AM »
Looks like you could tip over sideways in all kinds of new remote locations.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1113 on: October 05, 2017, 11:28:41 AM »
$1.5m.. Can almost buy a certified very light jet aircraft for that.. You can build your own for a lot LESS and cruise at around 400mph!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1114 on: October 05, 2017, 04:12:09 PM »
I'll take the jet.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1115 on: October 06, 2017, 08:22:56 AM »
Lusting after a radar jammer. A creepy neighbor has been flying his drone way too low over my backyard. Sigh. I'll content myself with fantasies of nighttime recon with a pellet gun or sling shot or something, and just keep going inside anytime it comes by. (And hope the rain fries it to tiny bits of uselessness).

https://www.battelle.org/government-offerings/national-security/aerospace-systems/counter-UAS-technologies/dronedefender

for when you finally get frustrated enough.  Please post an after action report!

OurTown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1116 on: October 06, 2017, 11:36:18 AM »

They also have one that's $1.5 million.

Deposit is $375k to start building.

https://earthroamer.com/xv-hd/

Does the sales guy still get a commission?

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #1117 on: October 09, 2017, 09:05:34 AM »
Lusting after a radar jammer. A creepy neighbor has been flying his drone way too low over my backyard. Sigh. I'll content myself with fantasies of nighttime recon with a pellet gun or sling shot or something, and just keep going inside anytime it comes by. (And hope the rain fries it to tiny bits of uselessness).

https://www.battelle.org/government-offerings/national-security/aerospace-systems/counter-UAS-technologies/dronedefender

for when you finally get frustrated enough.  Please post an after action report!
Since the guy flies it to low over his backyard a powerfull leaf blower or high pressure hose would probably do the trick...

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1118 on: October 10, 2017, 11:07:29 AM »
I'm lusting over a time turner...

An actual, working time-turner. I would love a couple more hours each day :-P...

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1119 on: October 11, 2017, 07:21:17 PM »
I don't want a time turner, but I could sure use a teleporter.

MrsStubble

• Stubble
« Reply #1120 on: October 11, 2017, 08:19:13 PM »
A year off work.  Stupid I think b/c we've got like 4 years left anyway and my job is cake and cushy. 

brooklynmoney

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1121 on: October 11, 2017, 08:57:40 PM »
Valentino rockstud sandals. Hopefully can find for less than 4 figures in ebay

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1122 on: October 12, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »
I just heard Amazon is making a waterproof Kindle. So now I am lusting after that, plus an apartment with a big bathtub, because all I ever wanted in life was to be able to e-read in the bath.

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #1123 on: October 12, 2017, 09:37:24 PM »

I may have missed a few, but this has to be a solid contender in the running for the stupidest thing...

forumname123

• Stubble
« Reply #1124 on: October 12, 2017, 09:40:12 PM »

I may have missed a few, but this has to be a solid contender in the running for the stupidest thing...

Seriously, if you're even remotely considering purchasing these and you aren't a multi-millionaire, your head is in the wrong place.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1125 on: October 12, 2017, 09:55:33 PM »

Since the guy flies it to low over his backyard a powerfull leaf blower or high pressure hose would probably do the trick...

Kinda depends on your water pressure and hose nozzles, but ours can shoot water >25 ft into the air. Our nozzles that look like a mini fireman nozzle. Let that drone pass by and blast it.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1126 on: October 13, 2017, 12:19:45 AM »

Here, spend one figure instead. They are close enough. 

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #1127 on: October 13, 2017, 12:22:16 AM »
A booster box of Magic the Gathering trading cards, specifically Eternal Masters.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

runbikerun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1128 on: October 13, 2017, 12:40:01 AM »
It's the Ironman World Championship this weekend, so I'm seeing a lot of very expensive bikes on social media. I would definitely be faster at my local 30km duathlon on a nine-thousand-euro bike...

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #1129 on: October 13, 2017, 01:32:23 AM »
I keep browsing local real estate ads. It makes no sense financially to move as this place (mostly) suits our actual needs, rather than wants and we've paid off the mortgage. But, I keep getting angsty about being in our current place. I've had some health issues which have meant spending a LOT of time at home and sometimes being at home feels like back when I was going through some serious medical treatment. I've also had to face up to some confronting mortality rate stats, and then I think, do I really want to be in this place that's ok but I don't love? I don't care so much about modern updated kitchens etc so much as wanting nicer views and a place that feels more like home.

So I keep looking at real estate and doing the what if scenarios. Haven't done anything yet but sometimes it helps to cope with something if you know you're not actually trapped there and can leave if you want to.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1130 on: October 13, 2017, 03:08:44 AM »
The SNES classic. I would not even play it, but everyone around me has one and  I'm growing frustrated that I cannot get my hands on it. Completely irrational "want", which is unusual with me (sadly not so unusual when it comes to video game gadgets)

espyfamoffour

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1131 on: October 13, 2017, 12:36:13 PM »
A country club membership to fuel my golf addiction...

BeardedMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1132 on: October 13, 2017, 03:42:05 PM »
The SNES classic. I would not even play it, but everyone around me has one and  I'm growing frustrated that I cannot get my hands on it. Completely irrational "want", which is unusual with me (sadly not so unusual when it comes to video game gadgets)

Facepunch please... I got one from a guy at work who scored 2.

I don't spend hours in front of it, but 10-20 minutes of nostalgia sure is fun. Wouldn't pay a dime over retail for it though. Scalpers can eat my farts.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1133 on: October 16, 2017, 06:14:21 PM »

I preordered one in the ~3 minute window that it was live on Amazon. It still hasn't shipped..

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1134 on: October 17, 2017, 01:04:36 PM »
PhD. I never plan to teach or research. I hate school and am not fit for academia. It will push back my FIRE by at least a year (but probably two or more), so it's not exactly going to advance my career. But I would be the first Dr. <Lastname> in our family. And I feel like I'm a completely worthless person if I don't get external validation. And I have daddy issues and I just want him to be proud of meeeeeeee.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1135 on: October 17, 2017, 02:19:46 PM »
PhD. I never plan to teach or research. I hate school and am not fit for academia. It will push back my FIRE by at least a year (but probably two or more), so it's not exactly going to advance my career. But I would be the first Dr. <Lastname> in our family. And I feel like I'm a completely worthless person if I don't get external validation. And I have daddy issues and I just want him to be proud of meeeeeeee.

I do not have a daddy issue, nor need external validation, but every once in a while I do think about going back and try to see if I can get a PhD.

If I do it, I would do it just "for fun". I do not mind research, but would not teach (I have done teaching, and find out I do not have the patience to deal with lazy students).

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1136 on: October 18, 2017, 08:42:54 AM »

I do not have a daddy issue, nor need external validation, but every once in a while I do think about going back and try to see if I can get a PhD.

If I do it, I would do it just "for fun". I do not mind research, but would not teach (I have done teaching, and find out I do not have the patience to deal with lazy students).

Why not wait till FIRE, then get a part time and/or easy job at a university to get a PhD for free?

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1137 on: October 18, 2017, 11:46:39 AM »

Why not wait till FIRE, then get a part time and/or easy job at a university to get a PhD for free?

OOhh.... I did not think about this. Seriously putting this down in my note on things I should do! Thank you so much!

This board is full of awesome people and awesome ideas!

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1138 on: October 18, 2017, 11:57:08 AM »
No Problem. I would check out the Mad Fientist blog http://www.madfientist.com - while most of his posts are about taxes and such, he did exactly this to go back and get a master's degree

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1139 on: October 19, 2017, 07:24:01 AM »
Well, I caved in and purchased a backhoe yesterday.  1994 Case 580 Super K with cab, heat & AC, extendahoe and 4 in 1 loader bucket.  Got a sweet deal on a low hours, well cared for, clean machine.   Whole lot of projects around the farm i will be able to use this rig for.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1140 on: October 19, 2017, 03:12:24 PM »
Well, I caved in and purchased a backhoe yesterday.  1994 Case 580 Super K with cab, heat & AC, extendahoe and 4 in 1 loader bucket.  Got a sweet deal on a low hours, well cared for, clean machine.   Whole lot of projects around the farm i will be able to use this rig for.

You're killing me! I have a 30hp tractor with a front end loader but can never justify a backhoe.. how much you pay for it?

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #1141 on: October 19, 2017, 03:16:46 PM »

Inground greenhouse? With that backhoe getting the hole dug would be easy.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1142 on: October 19, 2017, 03:27:33 PM »
I almost bought a 2005 Corvette (supercharged)...then the seller turned into an asshole. Saved $18k! It was a close call...but I think I have enough self control now to hold onto the car I already have and finish fixing it (nearly 10 years now and it's wearing me down).

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1143 on: October 19, 2017, 08:20:43 PM »

You're killing me! I have a 30hp tractor with a front end loader but can never justify a backhoe.. how much you pay for it?

I just sold one last weekend!

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1144 on: October 20, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this item yet, but I've been resisting a strong and irrational urge to buy a Boosted board electric longboard.

There are already seemingly infinite ways for me to get around my city, including: walking, scooter, car, bus, subway, taxi, rideshare, personal bike, city run bikeshare system, and countless private dockless bikeshare systems, but none seem quite so fun as cruising uphill at 15 mph on a longboard.

I've been trying to hold out until winter, hoping the craving will go away once the weather turns. But I'm sure I'll reward myself for holding out by buying it in the spring :)

jordanp123

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1145 on: October 20, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »
a iMac. I don't have a need for one, but computers and technology in general are my weakness. My MacBook Pro is doing just fine, but the temptation is still there....

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1146 on: October 21, 2017, 12:01:01 AM »
My current lust is a big monitor. One of those 40 inch 4K TV or even larger.

I work at home, and I am currently running triple 22in monitors, which was a pretty awesome setup a few years ago. I am sure my productivity will increase with larger monitor because I can display a lot of things simultaneously, but just can not bring myself to spend the money. I may splurge next year for my bday.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1147 on: October 21, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »

I work at home, and I am currently running triple 22in monitors, which was a pretty awesome setup a few years ago. I am sure my productivity will increase with larger monitor because I can display a lot of things simultaneously, but just can not bring myself to spend the money. I may splurge next year for my bday.

My monitor for my home computer is a 65 inch 4K TV (currently only running 1080p resolution though). My work computer is set up with a pair of 22 inch monitors, and I feel that's been just fine for productivity.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1148 on: October 22, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »

What are you doing that requires that much screen space? I actually just went back to a single monitor at work from two, I found that I ended up slouching sideways to look at one monitor or the other, with one 24” I find that my posture is way better.  I also found that I just used one of my monitors to keep Outlook and/or some silly Chrome browser page open—basically it was just wasted space.

sequoia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1149 on: October 22, 2017, 11:55:18 AM »

What are you doing that requires that much screen space? I actually just went back to a single monitor at work from two, I found that I ended up slouching sideways to look at one monitor or the other, with one 24” I find that my posture is way better.  I also found that I just used one of my monitors to keep Outlook and/or some silly Chrome browser page open—basically it was just wasted space.

I program and double as project manager plus doing a few other duties. The big monitor is mainly to reduce scrolling up and down, but also displaying as much code as possible in one area. My wife workstation has a 30' 2560x1600dpi that I use sometime when she is not at home, and that is just great to have the space.