Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288080 times)

marielle

• Pencil Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #600 on: March 01, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
What's not mustachian about the klr  I ask ? haha...

The "muscle over motor" part? haha. Pretty sure MMM would say to get an electric bike or road bike racer instead.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #601 on: March 01, 2017, 10:11:37 AM »
What's not mustachian about the klr  I ask ? haha...

The "muscle over motor" part? haha. Pretty sure MMM would say to get an electric bike or road bike racer instead.

Thus the "haha" sarcasm was lost apparently.

It's not completely green either but if you want a motorcycle it's hard to beat the klr for cost effective reliable fun !

Millions of crazy people here @ advrider.com can't be wrong

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #602 on: March 01, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
I have a pair.  Call them my murder gloves.  Only used twice.

to murder someone?

I can't say, but they aren't mine, and they don't fit me anyways
But seriously, I assume they are perfect for driving a large vehicle like a Ford Bronco.
They tend to shrink afterwards and won't fit your hands, but maybe this is a feature, not a bug?
I believe that means they need to be conditioned / oiled - which should be done annually to fine leather.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #603 on: March 01, 2017, 11:28:09 AM »
Ice cream. Luckily I bought some this afternoon, in a weak moment.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #604 on: March 01, 2017, 11:28:23 AM »

to murder someone?

But seriously, I assume they are perfect for driving a large vehicle like a Ford Bronco.
They tend to shrink afterwards and won't fit your hands, but maybe this is a feature, not a bug?
I believe that means they need to be conditioned / oiled - which should be done annually to fine leather.

It puts the lotion on the gloves

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #605 on: March 01, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »

to murder someone?

It does it when it's asked.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #606 on: March 02, 2017, 06:54:25 AM »

to murder someone?

Well, this turned creepy.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 02, 2017, 07:13:42 AM »
Ooof, I want a backhoe too, like from the time I could speak, maybe even before that.  When I was a kid, my parents asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, and I said that I wanted to be either a fighter pilot or a backhoe driver.  We always had to drive by the construction sites slowly so I could watch the big machines work.  Somehow I ended up as an engineer, WTF. 

I've ALMOST justified buying one by thinking I could make a business out of grading other people's property, but it just isn't going to happen, I don't have the spare time to convert into enough money to see a return on the investment.  And the investment is pretty sizable once you factor in getting a vehicle big enough to move it from place to place. 

But I would like to have one to clear and grade some land at my place. 

Did I mention that I've never driven a backhoe before?

I've pretty much accepted the fact that it would be nothing more than a high priced toy.  I'm retired, last thing I would want to do is turn it into a business, plus that would require expensive insurance and I'd need a dump truck, CDL license, an implement trailer to move it job to job, and buildings to keep everything in.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: March 02, 2017, 10:19:47 AM »
Ooof, I want a backhoe too, like from the time I could speak, maybe even before that.  When I was a kid, my parents asked me what I wanted to be when I grow up, and I said that I wanted to be either a fighter pilot or a backhoe driver.  We always had to drive by the construction sites slowly so I could watch the big machines work.  Somehow I ended up as an engineer, WTF. 

I've ALMOST justified buying one by thinking I could make a business out of grading other people's property, but it just isn't going to happen, I don't have the spare time to convert into enough money to see a return on the investment.  And the investment is pretty sizable once you factor in getting a vehicle big enough to move it from place to place. 

I've pretty much accepted the fact that it would be nothing more than a high priced toy.  I'm retired, last thing I would want to do is turn it into a business, plus that would require expensive insurance and I'd need a dump truck, CDL license, an implement trailer to move it job to job, and buildings to keep everything in.

True.  Like I said, pulling it from place to place would be a pain in the butt.  A Bobcat/skidsteer, on the other hand, is 5-7000 lbs, so I could probably use an early 90s F250 (available for ~$3000) to pull it around town.  But a bobcat is pretty limited, and I'm still up against the time limitation. 

And c'mon.  Its not a backhoe. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #609 on: March 02, 2017, 12:44:33 PM »

True.  Like I said, pulling it from place to place would be a pain in the butt.  A Bobcat/skidsteer, on the other hand, is 5-7000 lbs, so I could probably use an early 90s F250 (available for ~$3000) to pull it around town.  But a bobcat is pretty limited, and I'm still up against the time limitation. 

Can't you just rent the hauling vehicle when you have a job?

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #610 on: March 03, 2017, 05:46:42 AM »

The numbers just don't work.  Commercial rentals to pull a backhoe cost a LOT of money. 

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: March 07, 2017, 11:28:10 PM »

The numbers just don't work.  Commercial rentals to pull a backhoe cost a LOT of money.

I rented a small excavator a couple of years ago.  It's not hard to figure out how to use it.  It's just super slow.  It took me a bit to figure out how to make two motions at the same time.  Then my neighbor jumped on - he used to run BIG excavators - and he made me look like a damn fool.  It was a beautiful sight to see him reaching and grabbing and turning the thing all at once.  It would be fun to own one and play with it enough to actually get good at it.

But I digress, what I really want is an outbuilding aka "shop" to store my toys and build stuff in.  3,000 sf would be about right, but space and budget constraints will limit me to about 1,500 sf... if I can bring myself to shell out the dough for it.

Scortius

• Bristles
« Reply #612 on: March 08, 2017, 09:38:31 AM »
Oh man, the new Zelda game is out and the reviews are insanely good... and I looooooove Zelda.  Unfortunately, a Nintendo Switch is running at $300, before you buy the game.  Old me would have bought it right up!  New me knows I don't really have the time to enjoy it right now as it is, and the game will still be around years from now for much less money.  Meanwhile I have plenty of other things to take up my free time!

Serve&Volley88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #613 on: March 08, 2017, 09:44:32 AM »
The new Prius Prime. So many improvements over the previous generation Prius! Fun to think about, but I'll drive my 2012 for many more years.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #614 on: March 08, 2017, 11:41:47 AM »
The new Prius Prime. So many improvements over the previous generation Prius! Fun to think about, but I'll drive my 2012 for many more years.

You're lusting after a PRIUS

startingsmall

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #615 on: March 08, 2017, 12:10:12 PM »
My husband is lusting after a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. Big time. He's obsessed.

My dad owns a Jeep dealership and talk to him about how next year's model is supposed to be more fuel-efficient.... I'm dangerously close to caving. The husband has no interest in FIRE but has been very tolerant of our 50% savings rate the last few years, so I may let him have a bit of a reward.

Ridiculous, I know, but whatever.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #616 on: March 08, 2017, 12:35:10 PM »
A Tesla car. Pretty much any one of them.

My 1997 Toyota Corolla is a sturdy workhorse and takes good care of me, as I take good care of it. But, oh. A Tesla. Maybe someday, but not someday soon.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #617 on: March 08, 2017, 12:38:01 PM »

My 1997 Toyota Corolla is a sturdy workhorse and takes good care of me, as I take good care of it. But, oh. A Tesla. Maybe someday, but not someday soon.

Same here. I've had an obsession for Teslas for years now. I think if I rented one (through Turo or similar) for a day or two I would be satisfied. No one else here understands--it's all about engine sound and American muscle. You understand that the Tesla has double the HP of your v8 mustang!?!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #618 on: March 08, 2017, 12:42:39 PM »
Currently lusting after home reno- replacing the carpets, refinishing cabinets, replacing bathroom flooring (redoing the whole master bath, actually...), and ripping out the front yard and redoing all the landscaping up there. These will all happen *eventually*, and nice slow DIY style, but the immediate want doesn't care about long term plans.

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #620 on: March 09, 2017, 06:23:42 AM »
A car.  Really, it doesn't matter what kind of car perse, though it needs to be (a) 2014 or newer; (b) a large mid-size or full-size (I am 6'3" spouse is 6'2", if I'm going to buy a car, it's not going to be a small one where we can't sit up straight in the front seats/no leg room); and (c) have a back-up camera.

I haven't had a car for 10 years.  It's probably cheaper for me to use a combination of uber and weekend car rentals, because I never drive during the week (I walk to and from work (~2 miles) or take cabs home when I've worked long enough hours).  Didn't have one because I lived in places without included parking, so it was going to cost me $250/month to park it (outside!) on top of all the other costs.  But now that I have parking at home, I just want the convenience of not having to think about whether it makes sense to rent a car on weekend X, to find out that I'm slower on weekend X than I expected and therefore can run errands/go visit family (I often don't rent a car for a weekend because I think I wont have enough time to use it, and then I end up having the time, but not the car, because once the work week is over, picking up a rental is a serious pain and more expensive).  So, I have $20k in cash sitting around to buy a car, and if I ever have time to actually research what car I want to buy, I'll probably buy it.

Now, I REALLY "want" a Tesla, but that's just not going to happen, so I wouldn't say I'm lusting after it.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #621 on: March 09, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »
A car.  Really, it doesn't matter what kind of car perse, though it needs to be (a) 2014 or newer; [...]

Why does it need to be a 2014 or newer?

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #622 on: March 09, 2017, 06:58:24 AM »
A car.  Really, it doesn't matter what kind of car perse, though it needs to be (a) 2014 or newer; [...]

I put a really high premium on the fact that a newer car puts me further away from needing repairs and the like, because my time is really limited--2014/2015 seems like you hit a spot where you've gotten the up-front depreciation out of the system.  I'm honestly tempted to buy new and be done with it, but I can't jstify being the person that takes the day-one depreciation on the chin.  2014 isn't a hard line or anything, it's just where I'm kind of focused on.

Part of this is also my ignorance.  I am 32, and have had two cars my entire life:  my first car when I was 15/16-18 was a 1984 Oldsmobile that I inherited and drove until it died.  My second car was a 2000 Camry, which I drove for 5 years and sold.  I haven't had a car since then (I guess it's closer to 9 years than 10).  So I'm also just a total moron on car buying.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:01:49 AM by Tabaxus »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 09, 2017, 07:22:36 AM »

I put a really high premium on the fact that a newer car puts me further away from needing repairs and the like, because my time is really limited--2014/2015 seems like you hit a spot where you've gotten the up-front depreciation out of the system.  I'm honestly tempted to buy new and be done with it, but I can't jstify being the person that takes the day-one depreciation on the chin.  2014 isn't a hard line or anything, it's just where I'm kind of focused on.

Part of this is also my ignorance.  I am 32, and have had two cars my entire life:  my first car when I was 15/16-18 was a 1984 Oldsmobile that I inherited and drove until it died.  My second car was a 2000 Camry, which I drove for 5 years and sold.  I haven't had a car since then (I guess it's closer to 9 years than 10).  So I'm also just a total moron on car buying.

Fair enough. Three years old is a bit of a sweet spot for still like new but has taken most of the depreciation hit. Some cars might even have some warranty left.

Just keep in mind that which vehicle make/model you choose will make a bigger difference for reliability than age. I like to use truedelta for reliability data, so here's an example: Honda Civic vs Chevy Cruze. 2012 Honda Civic has 28% as many repairs as the average car from that year while the 2011-2013 Chevy Cruze has 177%! Similar story with the 2014 models (53% vs 131%).

Tabaxus

• Bristles
« Reply #624 on: March 09, 2017, 08:21:18 AM »
Absolutely.  I'm really only looking at Toyotas, Hondas, and Hyundais.

aaahhrealmarcus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Declutter. Decommodify. Denerdify.
    • Minimally Nerdy
« Reply #625 on: March 09, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »
A Nintendo Switch! :D ...and Zelda, of course

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: March 09, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »

Same here. I've had an obsession for Teslas for years now. I think if I rented one (through Turo or similar) for a day or two I would be satisfied. No one else here understands--it's all about engine sound and American muscle. You understand that the Tesla has double the HP of your v8 mustang!?!

My buddy's Cobra would disagree. :P

Tesla's are quite impressive, though.  Still way too much money, though - hopefully the prices will continue to drop as the technology matures.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 09, 2017, 09:43:06 AM »
I'm happy to report that I don't know what 2/3 of the things mentioned even are.  I'm lusting over more international travel while DH hates flying.

DH OTOH is lusting over classic cars.  He bid on and lost out on a 1962 Datsun 1500 (or something like that) last year.  This year he was out bid on a '69 Mach I.  Now he's lusting after  red '55 T-bird in the neighborhood.  Unfortunately (for me) I think the neighbor may want to sell it.  Hmmm...all 3 of these cars were red.  Do you think a red Prius would scratch his itch? 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #628 on: March 09, 2017, 09:54:12 AM »
DH OTOH is lusting over classic cars.
Don't tell him about Bring a Trailer.

thedigitalone

• Stubble
« Reply #629 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:20 AM »

Tesla's are quite impressive, though.  Still way too much money, though - hopefully the prices will continue to drop as the technology matures.

I dunno, nicely outfitted P85's are showing up on the secondary market around here for the low $40's and with 60k miles on them, they are getting very tempting.

Would make our Leaf look like a toy though!

HipGnosis

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #630 on: March 09, 2017, 11:40:26 AM »

I'll disagree with your buddy.  Telsas (all elec motors) can make FULL torque from 1 RPM on up.
ICE (internal combustion engines) simple can't come anywhere even close.
Tesla is (reported to be) coming out with a $30K version.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 09, 2017, 11:49:25 AM »
No one said Ryzen? I haven't been this excited about a CPU launch since Athlon days. I absolutely do not need another new computer but I still want one!

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #632 on: March 09, 2017, 12:34:08 PM »

I'll disagree with your buddy.  Telsas (all elec motors) can make FULL torque from 1 RPM on up.
ICE (internal combustion engines) simple can't come anywhere even close.
Tesla is (reported to be) coming out with a $30K version.

The post I quoted claimed "double the HP".  Disagree all you want, but a Cobra with a Kenne Bell on it will wipe the floor with all but the top-dog EVs.

Torque at 1rpm is not the topic of discussion (they make full torque from 0rpm, incidentally).  The $30k Tesla is not going to be fast.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 12:36:22 PM by JLee »

Ox05

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stock Music Musician
« Reply #633 on: March 12, 2017, 02:03:24 PM »
I record music, which is an endless black hole of lust over vintage gear. I try to keep myself in check, though I did recently splurge on this Warm Audio pre-amp (http://www.reasonguide.com/warm-audio-tone-beast-review/). I'm fighting really hard right now to avoid getting Warm Audio's new compressor or EQ (about $500 each). I'll probably fail. I try to make it up to myself by saying it's tax deductible, and that at some point I can charge for recording time. But mostly I'm a gear slut.

jjandjab

• Stubble
« Reply #634 on: March 12, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »
This. I have never been a big corvette fan, but I really like this body style. A convertable or a coupe... Hmmm. But not going to happen anytime soon.

BGordon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #635 on: March 28, 2017, 11:11:49 PM »
Ferrari 458, but I'd settle for a Ferrari California.  Unfortunately, I doubt I'll ever see either of them.  Can't convince my wife and it really doesn't make any sense.  Nevertheless, I'll keep dreaming about having one.

cobbb11

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #636 on: March 29, 2017, 07:51:19 AM »
Colt Python, 6 inch stainless steel with wood grips. Just like Rick Grimes'.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #637 on: March 29, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »
Right now it's freedom, which doesn't sound all that stupid.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #638 on: March 29, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »
A job where I don't have to work for people I dislike or people who lie but that's probably impossible, and I work in an area where I can rent a 3 bed 2 bath house for $450 a month, so I really shouldn't be complaining.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 29, 2017, 10:42:51 AM »
Just to help you feel a bit better, I'm renting a 3 bedroom 1 bath house for $1500 a month and it's a screaming good deal. Only because my friend owns it. It should be priced at $2000 a month, if not more. Even though it's tiny and old. We're here for the good schools.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #640 on: March 29, 2017, 10:52:32 AM »
A job where I don't have to work for people I dislike or people who lie but that's probably impossible, and I work in an area where I can rent a 3 bed 2 bath house for $450 a month, so I really shouldn't be complaining.

Wow that's cheap ! Looking on Zillow confirms how cheap it is there. My fiancé has family in durham (spelling correct? - too lazy to google). Compared to Colorado it is insane how cheap housing costs are there (or most of the south for that matter). Possibly a FIRE relocation to NC or SC is in order...

Also what I'm currently lusting after (it's new, has hit no where near it's bottom depreciation level yet). So dumb to buy one right now but man I sure would love one !

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #641 on: March 29, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »
At the moment, a nice dual bevel sliding mitre saw. I have a bunch of landscaping work to do this summer which includes building raised garden planters, finishing a fence & gates. some deck additions, etc. I do realize I could rent one for a few days each time and it would most likely be cheaper than buying one for $250-$500 but the convenience of having my own is the allure. I have a garage and the space to store it so that's not a problem but i'm just having a hard to justifying the cost when I am very much a beginner DIY'er.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #642 on: March 29, 2017, 01:50:16 PM »

Damn.  I pay $900/mo to share a 2br apartment.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #643 on: March 29, 2017, 03:18:17 PM »
At the moment, a nice dual bevel sliding mitre saw. I have a bunch of landscaping work to do this summer which includes building raised garden planters, finishing a fence & gates. some deck additions, etc. I do realize I could rent one for a few days each time and it would most likely be cheaper than buying one for $250-$500 but the convenience of having my own is the allure. I have a garage and the space to store it so that's not a problem but i'm just having a hard to justifying the cost when I am very much a beginner DIY'er.

why don't you get a single bevel non-sliding saw?

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #644 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:52 PM »

why don't you get a single bevel non-sliding saw?

Definitely an option. Since it was the "lusting after" thread and not the "What am I most likely to buy" thread I mentioned the better saw as it really is the one I would like. However I know it's most likely not the one I need.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 29, 2017, 03:47:05 PM »
No one said Ryzen? I haven't been this excited about a CPU launch since Athlon days. I absolutely do not need another new computer but I still want one!
They do look pretty great, but they still don't top an i7 7700K if what you're running doesn't thread well with the extra cores.  I just built my GF a new Photoshop machine with a 7700K, pulling the trigger after Ryzen v. Kaby Lake for Photoshop benchmarks came out.

Still, competition is welcome.  AMD hasn't been ahead in any real capacity since the pre-Conroe glory days, and Intel has been lazier the past few years as a result.

Hoglet121

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #646 on: March 30, 2017, 04:06:55 PM »
A $250 kettle that heats the water to exactly the temperature I want. (I drink a lot of green tea.) At the moment I put a little bit of cold water in first. It works just fine. But I want that kettle soooooo much.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #647 on: March 31, 2017, 07:47:49 AM »

Wow that's cheap ! Looking on Zillow confirms how cheap it is there. My fiancé has family in durham (spelling correct? - too lazy to google). Compared to Colorado it is insane how cheap housing costs are there (or most of the south for that matter). Possibly a FIRE relocation to NC or SC is in order...

Also what I'm currently lusting after (it's new, has hit no where near it's bottom depreciation level yet). So dumb to buy one right now but man I sure would love one !

Ooh, I do like the new ND miata too.  That RF model...

As for Zillow, you've got to be careful when checking out Durham on the internet.  Its got a lot of random really bad parts spread throughout the city.  Unlike a lot of college towns, the Duke students tend to live in walled fortress-like $2000/month apartment buildings instead of renting houses and bringing up the local rental market.  I'm also not certain that appreciation will really happen downtown, other than small pockets around the American Tobacco campus and the Bull's Stadium.  That housing market totally befuddles me, properties are either way overvalued or $45,000 and falling down. 

teamzissou00

• Stubble
« Reply #648 on: March 31, 2017, 09:16:42 AM »
I have four sonos play 1 speakers, and I'm lusting after the playbase and subwoofer.  We have a $150 Vizio SoundBar 5.1 system from Costco - and it does the job nicely in our small living room.  I have no reason to buy them ($1500 for the pair), but boy do I want them!! 

[img]https://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/g/2017/03/Sonos_PLAYBASE_HomeTheater_White.jpg[ /img]

side question - why isn't the image showing?  Am I doing it wrong?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:24:34 PM by Slate-WA »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #649 on: March 31, 2017, 10:15:44 AM »
I have four sonos play 1 speakers, and I'm lusting after the playbase and subwoofer.  We have a $150 Vizio SoundBar 5.1 system from Costco - and it does the job nicely in our small living room.  I have no reason to buy them ($1500 for the pair), but boy do I want them!! 

https://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/g/2017/03/Sonos_PLAYBASE_HomeTheater_White.jpg

side question - why isn't the image showing?  Am I doing it wrong?

There are much better sound systems you can build for $1,500.

To include an image you either need to put the url between [img] [ /img] tags or save it to your computer and then upload it as an attachment.