Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288247 times)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #350 on: December 22, 2016, 09:03:09 PM »
*does not have a watch collection...  Probably infer a bit about  me  by this...

Same here. I haven't even owned a watch for over a decade now, I think...

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #351 on: December 23, 2016, 12:08:59 AM »
A Patek Philippe Calatrava, for sure. North of 120 000 dollars for the model I am looking at.

Which  Calatrava?  I myself am convincing myself to not buy a 5170.  Interesting to see so many watch lovers here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahahaha. 

Much appreciation to any watch lovers.  I am not bitten by that particular bug.  But I bought a timepiece the other day anyway...by accident!

Frugally, I invited my friends to a "free art show".   Dozens of artists had displays of hundreds of original works, plus prints/giclees/stencils on brick/etc of said works.  I happily chatted with artist after artist while may friends wandered around.  Finally when they were bored, I stumbled at the last minute into the coolest den of all, a nest of fabulous steampunk-looking paintings and objects.  When I gazed longingly at the most intriguing of the objects, the artist answered the last of my questions ("How did you make it?  Is this painted part here a one-off?  Did you...")  by saying "It's $50."  Stunned, I handed him my credit card and racked up some airline miles.

Only afterward did I realize that the functional part of the object is in fact a clock.  Which works. 

It is ticking quietly in the living room right now.

Watch wanters, I feel your pain.

starguru

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #352 on: December 23, 2016, 07:51:05 AM »
A Patek Philippe Calatrava, for sure. North of 120 000 dollars for the model I am looking at.

Which  Calatrava?  I myself am convincing myself to not buy a 5170.  Interesting to see so many watch lovers here!!!

Hahahahaha. 

Much appreciation to any watch lovers.  I am not bitten by that particular bug.  But I bought a timepiece the other day anyway...by accident!

Frugally, I invited my friends to a "free art show".   Dozens of artists had displays of hundreds of original works, plus prints/giclees/stencils on brick/etc of said works.  I happily chatted with artist after artist while may friends wandered around.  Finally when they were bored, I stumbled at the last minute into the coolest den of all, a nest of fabulous steampunk-looking paintings and objects.  When I gazed longingly at the most intriguing of the objects, the artist answered the last of my questions ("How did you make it?  Is this painted part here a one-off?  Did you...")  by saying "It's $50."  Stunned, I handed him my credit card and racked up some airline miles.

Only afterward did I realize that the functional part of the object is in fact a clock.  Which works. 

It is ticking quietly in the living room right now.

Watch wanters, I feel your pain.
They are fascinating little devices.   Artwork really in some cases.  It's amazing what they can do with these things.  Perpetual calendars accurate for 100 years, moon phase indicators, power reserves, there is even a company that makes watches that track the orbits of the planets. And the finishing on some of the movements is unbelievable.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #353 on: December 23, 2016, 08:33:37 PM »
*does not have a watch collection...  Probably infer a bit about  me  by this...

Same here. I haven't even owned a watch for over a decade now, I think...

Same here (ish).  I wore the same watch that I'd gotten for high school graduation every single day until around 10 years ago when the battery or something died.  I brought it into the jeweler to get repaired and they said they didn't have the part needed for that brand and I'd need to bring it to another special shop.  At that point, I just gave up and have never worn a watch again.  In an instant, I went from wearing it 100% of my days for many years to wearing it 0% of the time.  So, I guess I actually still own that watch, but it's been in my drawer for like 10 years.

Edit:  It was probably more around 7 or 8 years ago because I at least had a Blackberry that I had to carry around with me all the time and I could check the clock on that.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:37:34 PM by LeRainDrop »

NoNonsenseLandlord

• Bristles
    • No Nonsense Landlord
« Reply #354 on: December 26, 2016, 11:54:16 AM »
What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?

There is a dancer at the local club.  She isn't very bright, but looks great.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #355 on: December 26, 2016, 01:57:03 PM »
Has anyone else pulled the trigger?

Yes. I bought Mom a garnet ring. She said I would get it back when she's dead and she's worn it non-stop. In a relatively crappy Christmas filled with screaming, arguments, hatefulness, and the increasing feeling that she's losing her mind, that successful gift was a bright spot. Well, that and seeing Moana.

So the answer to everything is to spend money on jewelry and movies.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #356 on: December 26, 2016, 03:46:36 PM »
I'd like to have my own DVD copy of the last movie in the Hobbit trilogy.  Yeah, I pretty much have everything I want.  Not that I have much, but I can't think of anything I really want. 

progman2000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #357 on: December 26, 2016, 06:23:52 PM »

I like the simpler ones, like this one:

One of my anti-mustachian purchases (when I got a uuuuge bonus once) was one of these at like 1/10 the price:

I owned a Nomos Club Datum for a short while. Nomos are great watches, if I bought another it would something along the lines of yours.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #358 on: December 27, 2016, 09:45:28 AM »
A tablet. I can't stand reading on my phone. It's too small. But there's so many different tablets out there I don't know where to begin! I need something that's compatible with Android so I guess I start snooping for a deal.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #359 on: December 27, 2016, 09:52:54 AM »
Ford Focus RS

Hmmm, pic didn't post, here's a link

http://imgur.com/gallery/Lk0oL

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #360 on: December 27, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
A tablet. I can't stand reading on my phone. It's too small. But there's so many different tablets out there I don't know where to begin! I need something that's compatible with Android so I guess I start snooping for a deal.

For reading, I'd look at a Kindle.  The ones with the paper-like screen are so low-stress on your eyes...I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time reading on a normal bright tablet screen.

Kevin S.

• Stubble
« Reply #361 on: December 27, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »
Ford Focus RS

Hmmm, pic didn't post, here's a link

http://imgur.com/gallery/Lk0oL

After test driving one back to back with a fiesta st I would have to agree!

Both are great cars but the RS is such a fun car down low !

Still would rather have a fiesta st...lighter and seemed more tossable.

mochila

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #362 on: December 27, 2016, 03:05:29 PM »
A Chase Sapphire Reserve. Having opened 15 cards in the past 24 months, I will delay gratification until April 2018, when there will be more interesting things to apply for.

EverCurious

• Stubble
« Reply #363 on: December 27, 2016, 03:07:44 PM »

For reading, I'd look at a Kindle.  The ones with the paper-like screen are so low-stress on your eyes...I wouldn't want to spend a lot of time reading on a normal bright tablet screen.

Same. I might try that. Still looking.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #364 on: December 27, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »

Same. I might try that. Still looking.

I set my Kindle app for sepia text on a black background, and that works pretty well

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #365 on: December 28, 2016, 11:10:03 AM »
Has anyone else pulled the trigger?

Yes. I bought Mom a garnet ring. She said I would get it back when she's dead and she's worn it non-stop. In a relatively crappy Christmas filled with screaming, arguments, hatefulness, and the increasing feeling that she's losing her mind, that successful gift was a bright spot. Well, that and seeing Moana.

So the answer to everything is to spend money on jewelry and movies.

LOL

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #366 on: December 28, 2016, 11:01:09 PM »
Im lusting over a Macbook Pro 2016 right now. Its is absurdly priced at $1499 which is why Im not getting one. I settled for a Window Lenovo 710s a few days ago at $599.
Long term I'm lusting over the current model Coevette. I know its a waste of money but I've been lusting over the current model for a while now.

Had a conversation with my wife today and at the end, she said if we buy nothing in 2017, I can buy a Corvette in 2018. Hahaha.....I don't know if I have the guts to pull the triggar when the time comes.
Nothing fancy, just the base version will be ok but in Shark Gray please....

« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:03:03 PM by golfreak12 »

BXHORN

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #367 on: December 29, 2016, 12:49:03 AM »
My wife

Desert Patrol

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #368 on: December 29, 2016, 05:03:35 AM »
seen a 65inch Sony reduced, lust levels high. would have to get surround sound to complete the set up, otherwise what's the point of a 65' TV?

Then figured we would need to upgrade the wifi to broadband to be able to watch On Demand TV without buffering issues, otherwise what the point of 65' TV?

Then figured I would relocate the current 40' Toshiba to the bedroom, but would wall mount it and it would need an additional set top box and DVD. And whilst we are wall mounting one TV, would mount the other kids TV to free up ground space.

This caused a few days of thought and fretting the logistics and details, then figured that by spending around 5k USD I would actually ruin what is already a perfect set up and would complicate my life by having soo much TV in it, to the point I felt sick.

thought disregarded, the saving of 5k is not registered as much as having kept it simple.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #369 on: December 29, 2016, 06:06:23 AM »
The new DJI mavic drone. An their Osmo gimbal thingy for video recording on the ground.
It is especially stupid since I have their phantom 2 and a gopro 3 and I do not use either of them....
I tell myself it is because I am missing a few bits of equipement.

But that is big fat bullshit.

I have always wanted to do something with video but never have, so apparently the need in reality is not that great?

Givign the choice of just being lazy in a comfy sofa and going out and actually filming something I choose the lazying about every time.
= if I do choose do to do something, priority should go to sports since I am really out of shape (and I have started  there, small victories).
So my rational brain has a ton of reasons why I should not want or buy it. And I am not going to buy it. But boy, do I want one ...

Damn it!! Now I am looking at stabilizers for my Gopro camera because I need one, right, I need it ....

GilbertB

• Stubble
    • Sci-fi Meandering
« Reply #370 on: December 29, 2016, 05:34:59 PM »
I am also lusting after these planes...
https://www.fine-tools.com/jhob.html
It's about a year from now in the house renovations before I need a better plane than what I have...
(And will probably have made the shoulder and grooving planes by then, just because )

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: December 29, 2016, 07:17:16 PM »
A Lexus LS 460 L.

There was a mint 2010 model with all the options I wanted (and only 22k miles) for sale a couple of months ago. Luckily it was 90 miles from home, and I resisted the temptation for over a week until it was finally sold.

I decided to keep my current car (2010) for at least another five years. If the Genesis G90 holds up as a reliable car, a used one might be worth a look by then. But I still really like the 460...

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #372 on: January 01, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »
Icebreaker clothing
It's not stupid, but it's stupidly expensive, so I will resist.. But boy is that stuff comfy!

GetItRight

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #373 on: January 01, 2017, 05:48:20 PM »
A rust free classic Ford convertible from the southwest. Work has me traveling out there regularly and I keep an eye out for anything for sale that tickles my fancy and priced at a bargain. I could expense the gas for the return trip instead of a flight and I'd always wanted to do a Route 66 trip so I could kill two birds with one stone... But I have a rusty old Ford (not a convertible) that was my mom's that I'll eventually get to restoring, so it makes no sense to get something else when I already have a project with sentimental value that I'll never sell. I can do body work, I just really hate it.

AutoZealot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #374 on: January 01, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
A Lexus LS 460 L

indeed - have been trying to convince myself that the LS430 would be fine

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #375 on: January 01, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
A Lexus LS 460 L

Lust away. So cheap for what you get.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #376 on: January 01, 2017, 09:07:28 PM »
A Lexus LS 460 L

Lust away. So cheap for what you get.

This thread is not good for me.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #377 on: January 02, 2017, 10:18:58 AM »
Icebreaker clothing
It's not stupid, but it's stupidly expensive, so I will resist.. But boy is that stuff comfy!

Comfy, yes. But the durability of Icebreaker clothes is not good. Even if you don't throw them in the dryer, they eventually start pilling and tearing. So they're expensive af, and you won't have them for very long. Definitely not mustachian.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #378 on: January 02, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
A bunch of fancy-schmancy hiking/camping gear.  Why do I need an ultralightweight tent or a really cool hammock when I haven't backpacked in years?  Good question.  While we do hike, and do plan to camp this year, we have a 4 and a 5 year old, and my husband is iffy on camping anyway.  3 miles is the kid's max hike, and they definitely won't be backpacking.  We'll car camp, and so all we need is basic gear we already have.  I don't need a backpacking stove because we have a propane camp stove, and I don't need a spendy water purifier because we'll be able to bring in plenty of water for drinking and cooking.

I think a lot of it is just aspirational.  If I owned the nifty stuff I'd get out and use it - but I know that isn't really the case. 

FINate

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #379 on: January 02, 2017, 11:21:49 AM »
A bunch of fancy-schmancy hiking/camping gear.  Why do I need an ultralightweight tent or a really cool hammock when I haven't backpacked in years?  Good question.  While we do hike, and do plan to camp this year, we have a 4 and a 5 year old, and my husband is iffy on camping anyway.  3 miles is the kid's max hike, and they definitely won't be backpacking.  We'll car camp, and so all we need is basic gear we already have.  I don't need a backpacking stove because we have a propane camp stove, and I don't need a spendy water purifier because we'll be able to bring in plenty of water for drinking and cooking.

I think a lot of it is just aspirational.  If I owned the nifty stuff I'd get out and use it - but I know that isn't really the case.

I love backpacking. You don't need most of the expensive gear do to it. In fact, you're better off going minimalist - a lot of the gear that gets advertised isn't very useful and just weighs you down. Lightweight gear is good, less gear is even better.

You need a good shelter - I prefer an ultralight tarp, but will take an ultralight tent if bugs are expected. And you need a sleeping pad and sleeping bag, a set of lightweight clothes (pretty much anything but cotton), backpack, something to treat water, a stove (if you want hot food and cannot make campfires), food, and a few odds and ends. The backpack, tent, sleeping bag and pad can usually be rented if you don't already have these. You probably already have suitable clothes. For water you don't need an expensive/heavy filter, just use Aquamira which is cheap, super light, and doesn't leave a bad taste. It's very easy to make a homemade alcohol stove, which is also very light (an online search provides links to many tutorials).

My wife doesn't like backpacking so I go on short trips by myself or with friends.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #380 on: January 02, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
A Lexus LS 460 L

My neighbor has a 430, and it still looks like a new car. I just saw a nice 430 for sale this morning :)

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/lexus-vehicles-classifieds/843220-04-ls430-ml-flint-mica.html

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #381 on: January 02, 2017, 02:55:46 PM »
Icebreaker clothing

Comfy, yes. But the durability of Icebreaker clothes is not good. Even if you don't throw them in the dryer, they eventually start pilling and tearing. So they're expensive af, and you won't have them for very long. Definitely not mustachian.

Thank you for this, it's cool to have other people giving rational reasons to take the wisest decision.

EAL

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Mindful Money
« Reply #382 on: January 02, 2017, 04:03:49 PM »
A truck. We have a handful of rental properties and renovate houses and usually can get by with my paid off Honda CR-V. I have to borrow my dad's truck a few times a month when we need it for something larger.  But it's pretty much at the end of its life and has now broken down on us twice in the middle of winter. It's really inconvenient to not have one when we are demoing new properties and getting large supplies.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #383 on: January 02, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
Land. I never want to see a neighbors house from any of my windows, I can currently see 12 of them and 2 of them are close enough to hand coffee to from my windows practically. It was a crazy good price in 2009 as a foreclosure and is a decent house. It is irrational to want to build a new house and have some privacy which will probably add a couple years before I can retire.

Al1961

• Stubble
  • Dad of a husky Husky
« Reply #384 on: January 02, 2017, 05:22:14 PM »
Land. I never want to see a neighbors house from any of my windows, I can currently see 12 of them and 2 of them are close enough to hand coffee to from my windows practically. It was a crazy good price in 2009 as a foreclosure and is a decent house. It is irrational to want to build a new house and have some privacy which will probably add a couple years before I can retire.

This is not a stupid thing to lust after.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #385 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:31 PM »
A Fitbit.... :( Almost bought a refurbished one for $50, but stopped myself at checkout.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #386 on: January 02, 2017, 08:57:35 PM »
Icebreaker clothing

Thank you for this, it's cool to have other people giving rational reasons to take the wisest decision.

I have a split experience on it: the 2 shirts we bought DH didn't last all that long. But the heavy socks we got me are still in good shape. And the hat we got DH lasted well for a couple years until he lost it =( No pilling or anything, in spite of him running in it and me washing it regularly. Biggest plusses for us are that: I'm not allergic to the socks, but I usually react to wool, and they don't hold smell much, even compared to other wool.

I can't speak overall, but from my experiences I would *consider* doing gloves, hats, or socks through them, but none of their actual clothing.

aspiringnomad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #387 on: January 02, 2017, 09:20:31 PM »
Icebreaker clothing

I have a split experience on it: the 2 shirts we bought DH didn't last all that long. But the heavy socks we got me are still in good shape. And the hat we got DH lasted well for a couple years until he lost it =( No pilling or anything, in spite of him running in it and me washing it regularly. Biggest plusses for us are that: I'm not allergic to the socks, but I usually react to wool, and they don't hold smell much, even compared to other wool.

I can't speak overall, but from my experiences I would *consider* doing gloves, hats, or socks through them, but none of their actual clothing.

Yeah, gloves and hats are probably fine. But I've owned socks, underwear, a base layer top, and a long sleeve running shirt - all except the underwear was gifted. The socks barely lasted a few months, now the underwear is getting tossed out one by one. They've developed holes/tears from regular use and washing after less than 2 years (crazy given the price of this stuff). The base layer and long sleeve running shirt are still going strong, but I don't wear them much and even they have started to pill a little bit.

SpartyStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: January 02, 2017, 10:55:52 PM »
While I already have a bunch of bicycles (carbon road, carbon 29er Mtn, titanium tri), I've been lusting over a new cyclocross bike (Felt F3x).  Well, before I even think about buying a cyclocross bike, I probably should sell an old steel frameset that I've kept for the past 10 years...

I also keep looking at the new TAG Heuer watches at Costco.  I have an old TAG Heuer Formula 1 mid-size mens watch that I bought at Costco 15+ years ago (for $170).  Compared to watches today, it is tiny!  I keep putting batteries in it and it still keeps working.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #389 on: January 03, 2017, 09:19:45 PM »

This is not a stupid thing to lust after.

The other thought is to wait until FIRE, then move to a LCOL location where you can achieve this without cutting down on the 'stache

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #390 on: January 04, 2017, 09:28:46 AM »
I'm moving to a new place and I'll have more room than I do now...(going from bedroom / shared bathroom to bedroom, private bathroom, and living room to myself) and now I'm really tempted to get a racing simulation setup.  I found a $375 seat on Craigslist for $250, and it comes with wheels/pedals too (and I already have a wheel). Blah!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #391 on: January 16, 2017, 01:29:08 AM »
I have been looking at this thread for weeks now and I haven't been lusting for anything material.
Only thing I'm lusting for is a tick pack of snow, which I found during the past weekend. Next weekend we'll be going back to the snow. Although since Saturday I am starting to lust a bit after a warmer winter sleeping bag. But maybe we can adjust my current and fill it up with some extra down from an old sleeping bag that we still have.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: January 17, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
...Although since Saturday I am starting to lust a bit after a warmer winter sleeping bag. But maybe we can adjust my current and fill it up with some extra down from an old sleeping bag that we still have.

Are you using the boiled-water-nalgene trick? All you do is boil some water right before bed, pour it into a nalgene bottle, then throw that in your sleeping bag right before you get in.

This has helped me countless times to get through some *very* cold nights with a less than optimal bag.

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #393 on: January 17, 2017, 02:45:08 PM »
A house.  It's beautiful.  5 bedrooms, cheap for the market, newly and totally remodeled and six blocks from my office. 

But we're currently living in a paid for two bedroom townhome with some pretty extensive student loan debt and it's just the two of us. We're happy in our little home, it's likely more space than we need, but I love looking at this house.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #394 on: January 17, 2017, 02:52:12 PM »
A house.  It's beautiful.  5 bedrooms, cheap for the market, newly and totally remodeled and six blocks from my office. 

But we're currently living in a paid for two bedroom townhome with some pretty extensive student loan debt and it's just the two of us. We're happy in our little home, it's likely more space than we need, but I love looking at this house.

Well, are you planning 4 children?

BabyShark

• Bristles
« Reply #395 on: January 17, 2017, 02:53:01 PM »

Well, are you planning 4 children?

Two and not for at least a few years

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #396 on: January 18, 2017, 05:51:43 AM »
...Although since Saturday I am starting to lust a bit after a warmer winter sleeping bag. But maybe we can adjust my current and fill it up with some extra down from an old sleeping bag that we still have.

Are you using the boiled-water-nalgene trick? All you do is boil some water right before bed, pour it into a nalgene bottle, then throw that in your sleeping bag right before you get in.

This has helped me countless times to get through some *very* cold nights with a less than optimal bag.

That is one option. I am also looking at the option of using an extra small summer sleeping bag inside the winter bag. We have one that I can use, I just need to try it out at home.

The refill would not work. There are too many compartments for that to be practical.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:52:01 AM by Linda_Norway »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #397 on: January 18, 2017, 05:13:55 PM »
It's very strange.   I'm getting a urge to buy one of these to replace my 13 year old Tacoma.    Whenever I think about the cost, the urge disappears though.

moof

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #398 on: January 18, 2017, 05:41:19 PM »
Fat Bike.  I have 2 bikes, and almost never take my mountain bike off the city streets.  But I want one.

New transmission for my truck is taking precedent.  And a Disneyland trip.  A few face punches are probably in order.

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #399 on: January 18, 2017, 07:49:12 PM »
Fat Bike.  I have 2 bikes, and almost never take my mountain bike off the city streets.  But I want one.

New transmission for my truck is taking precedent.  And a Disneyland trip.  A few face punches are probably in order.

Disneyland is having a sale on tickets right now.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Disneyland-Deal-SoCal-Resident-ParkHopper-150-Dollars-410185675.html

Not sure if you are a so cal resident?  Maybe someone can help you out.