Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1303939 times)

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #4850 on: January 08, 2024, 12:36:00 PM »
$16:

I have a $5 walmart oil pan for my oil changes that i've been using for years. But whenever i xfer the oil to a milk jug, a little oil always spills. (Sometimes alot if i'm clumbsy)
The i saw the above oil pan with Waste Oil Storage combo!

Now waiting on a good Harbor freight coupon to come out to get it.
i can wait since i literally did my oil change a couple of weeks then i saw that.

I really, really tried to make this style drain pan work but I only ever made a mess and didn’t want to throw it in the car to take the oil for recycling. So now I use the gigantic drain pan I bought from Walmart and use a big funnel to transfer the used oil back into the five quart jug. I still spill a bit sometimes but on balance less than I used to.

My favorite oil change setup was a Fumoto valve that I could drain straight into an empty five quart jug, thar was the ultimate in clean/convenient changes. Then one day a dead armadillo bounced off the bottom of the car and the valve opened and dumped all my oil the next time I parked it. Fortunately I shut it down fast enough and saved the engine but I’m done with the valves.
yeah, been reading about these drain pan collectors.
The walmart version ($8) sucks because it's only 1" deep on. When you remove the drain plug, lots of initial oil bounces off the drain pan from the pressure.

Bought the $10.50 walmart version :

The catch well is 2" deep and has decent reviews. Going to try it instead of waiting for a coupon for $16 Harbor Freight.

Incidentally, it's 20% cheaper to buy online than in store. I wasn't sure of the price so i used my walmart app to scan the barcode. It said $12.50 but it also said it's $10.50 online.
I don't understand that but i ordered it online. Says it will be ready in under 3hrs. No problem. I'm going to be close to Walamrt the following day anyway.

By the time I was done shopping at walmart (30min), i got a txt saying my item is ready for pickup.
lol
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:34:24 PM by FIREin2018 »

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4851 on: January 08, 2024, 04:58:09 PM »

The catch well is 2" deep and has decent reviews. Going to try it instead of waiting for a coupon for $16 Harbor Freight.

Incidentally, it's 20% cheaper to buy online than in store. I wasn't sure of the price so i used my walmart app to scan the barcode. It said $12.50 but it also said it's $10.50 online.
I don't understand that but i ordered it online. Says it will be ready in under 3hrs. No problem. I'm going to be close to Walamrt the following day anyway.

By the time I was done shopping at walmart (30min), i got a txt saying my item is ready for pickup.
lol

I have this model.  Works well.  Leaks a little bit and you definitely need to remember to open the air relief port when filling.  I ruined a shirt and pants learning that lesson.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
« Reply #4852 on: January 08, 2024, 06:49:58 PM »

lol

I have this model.  Works well.  Leaks a little bit and you definitely need to remember to open the air relief port when filling.  I ruined a shirt and pants learning that lesson.
What do you mean leaks a bit?

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4853 on: January 08, 2024, 07:14:18 PM »

Even if none of the three openings leaks, you will still need to wipe the catch pan area well before standing it vertically.  I wouldn't use it for hauling waste oil to the collection center, and if I had to I would place it in another container just to make sure it doesn't make a mess in my vehicle.

RWTL

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4854 on: January 09, 2024, 02:55:47 AM »

lol

If it was full of oil, mine would leak a small amount from the pour spout.  So, I use it to collect the oil and then transfer the oil to my empty oil containers.  I wipe it down and then put it into a large garbage bag for storage.  Overall I'm happy with it - it's better than the others I've tried.  But, its not perfect. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4855 on: January 17, 2024, 09:29:02 AM »
I kinda want a man cave. Just a small warm room with lots of light where I can do sewing projects, read or play my guitar without having to move a bunch of my girlfriends stuff out of the way.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4856 on: January 17, 2024, 09:36:58 AM »
I kinda want a man cave. Just a small warm room with lots of light where I can do sewing projects, read or play my guitar without having to move a bunch of my girlfriends stuff out of the way.

Better than spending fucking ages sitting on the toilet.

This Vice article outlines the hormonal theory that posits a hormonal regulation component to why men need alone time, and tend to only figure out how to find it on the toilet.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93wjwd/why-do-men-take-so-long-on-the-toilet

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4857 on: January 17, 2024, 09:51:13 AM »
Exactly. The restroom is the warmest room in the house and it has good lighting.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #4858 on: January 17, 2024, 10:35:02 AM »

This Vice article outlines the hormonal theory that posits a hormonal regulation component to why men need alone time, and tend to only figure out how to find it on the toilet.

Yeah, I mean we all need alone time. Women just tend to not take it because they have more responsibilities and tend to prioritize those as opposed to their own satisfaction.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4859 on: January 17, 2024, 12:40:02 PM »

Yeah, I mean we all need alone time. Women just tend to not take it because they have more responsibilities and tend to prioritize those as opposed to their own satisfaction.

The most interesting part of the article was finding out that the average bowel movement takes 12 seconds.  Can that be right???  That's not even enough time to read an article in a magazine!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4860 on: January 17, 2024, 01:00:35 PM »

The most interesting part of the article was finding out that the average bowel movement takes 12 seconds.  Can that be right???  That's not even enough time to read an article in a magazine!

How long would you expect it to take??

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4861 on: January 17, 2024, 01:02:22 PM »

Who’s average?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4862 on: January 17, 2024, 01:04:43 PM »

Read the article first, then use your 12 seconds.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4863 on: January 17, 2024, 01:48:19 PM »

It's a process!  I mean . . . there's gotta be at least 30 seconds for your butt to warm up the toilet seat enough for your sphincter to unclench.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4864 on: January 17, 2024, 01:49:14 PM »

Movements substantially longer than 12 seconds sound quite painful.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4865 on: January 18, 2024, 02:06:14 AM »

It's a process!  I mean . . . there's gotta be at least 30 seconds for your butt to warm up the toilet seat enough for your sphincter to unclench.
Sounds like you need a heated bidet toilet seat. You can pay for it with your savings on mattresses.
It's all about efficiency.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4866 on: January 18, 2024, 07:31:53 AM »

Sounds like you need a heated bidet toilet seat. You can pay for it with your savings on mattresses.
It's all about efficiency.

It might just be best to switch to an asian style hole to squat over rather than a raised toilet.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4867 on: January 18, 2024, 07:33:35 AM »
Do you know I've never timed my poops? Does that make me unmustachian?

I feel like it must be longer than 12 seconds, but I honestly have no idea what a better guess might be.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #4868 on: January 18, 2024, 07:37:51 AM »

I feel like it must be longer than 12 seconds, but I honestly have no idea what a better guess might be.
Aren't you worried this aspect of your life isn't optimized?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4869 on: January 18, 2024, 07:42:09 AM »

Aren't you worried this aspect of your life isn't optimized?

Yes I am. And now I have a whole new thing to obsess over.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4870 on: January 18, 2024, 07:44:59 AM »
I'm legit stressed for all you folks who think 12 seconds is way too quick to poop.

What on earth are you people eating??

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4871 on: January 18, 2024, 08:01:08 AM »
It might be helpful to know if we're talking Total Time in Stall (TTS) or Total Extrusion Time (TET).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4872 on: January 18, 2024, 08:45:03 AM »
I'm legit stressed for all you folks who think 12 seconds is way too quick to poop.

Cheese.  Only cheese.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4873 on: January 18, 2024, 08:47:13 AM »

Cheese.  Only cheese.

LOL!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4874 on: January 18, 2024, 10:55:18 AM »
It might be helpful to know if we're talking Total Time in Stall (TTS) or Total Extrusion Time (TET).

Yeah, I don't think I could manage a 12-second time in stall if my life depended on it.  Sure, the key part of the deed is generally over in that amount of time, but I definitely can't do it and clean up effectively in 12 seconds.  I also need to get that pump primed and cooled down afterwards, but maybe that's because I'm getting old. 

Of course, I do the 'normal' male thing and spend longer in there than I need to, so I'm not really one to talk.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4875 on: January 18, 2024, 12:23:11 PM »

Yeah, I don't think I could manage a 12-second time in stall if my life depended on it.  Sure, the key part of the deed is generally over in that amount of time, but I definitely can't do it and clean up effectively in 12 seconds.  I also need to get that pump primed and cooled down afterwards, but maybe that's because I'm getting old. 

Of course, I do the 'normal' male thing and spend longer in there than I need to, so I'm not really one to talk.
No worries. My dog takes more than 12s to crap and he doesn't even clean up. Crapping in other people's yards is his favorite thing to do. He's quite eager yet still can break the 12s barrier.

cannotWAIT

• Stubble
« Reply #4876 on: January 18, 2024, 12:28:01 PM »
I always wondered why there were so many pages in this thread. I am rarely ever lusting after anything so never bothered to open it.

Backing away slowly . . .

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4877 on: January 18, 2024, 12:30:40 PM »
I always wondered why there were so many pages in this thread. I am rarely ever lusting after anything so never bothered to open it.

Backing away slowly . . .

You just joined us at a crappy time.  :P

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4878 on: January 18, 2024, 02:14:28 PM »

No worries. My dog takes more than 12s to crap and he doesn't even clean up. Crapping in other people's yards is his favorite thing to do. He's quite eager yet still can break the 12s barrier.

It takes mine 12 minutes just to decide where he wants to crap.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4879 on: January 18, 2024, 03:34:19 PM »

It takes mine 12 minutes just to decide where he wants to crap.

It takes them time to get aligned with the magnetic north-south axis

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23231040-200-how-animal-actions-are-steered-by-magnetism/

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4880 on: January 18, 2024, 10:00:32 PM »

Cheese.  Only cheese.

I maxed out at about 50% of calories as cheese on a bike tour one time. Full fat cheese has great energy density. But there came a point when I just couldn’t stomach more cheese without some carbs. Mountain house are also well known for keeping things together… the perfect combination. 

Not so stupid "thing" I could really use a long bike ride about now. Maybe in four months.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4881 on: January 19, 2024, 08:47:52 PM »
At least you’re choosing good cheese.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4882 on: January 19, 2024, 09:49:01 PM »
Yes! Though my friend from France insisted it was not. After touring rural France with him going to his favorite cheese towns I can kind of see his point. Definitely the most fun I’ve had driving in Europe.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #4883 on: January 20, 2024, 09:48:56 AM »
Yes! Though my friend from France insisted it was not. After touring rural France with him going to his favorite cheese towns I can kind of see his point. Definitely the most fun I’ve had driving in Europe.

I concur. I concur SO HARD. 🫣

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4884 on: January 20, 2024, 05:47:18 PM »
I have a confession...

Sometimes I come to this thread not because I'm lusting after anything, but because I am looking for something to lust after.

Now I want cheese.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4885 on: January 21, 2024, 07:41:27 AM »
I have a confession...

Sometimes I come to this thread not because I'm lusting after anything, but because I am looking for something to lust after.

Now I want cheese.
It is as if we are fighting against our own satisfaction.

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #4886 on: January 21, 2024, 07:46:08 AM »
I have a confession...

Now I want cheese.

But cheese is not stupid to lust after!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4887 on: January 21, 2024, 09:04:05 PM »
It’s better in the red package.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4888 on: January 27, 2024, 05:25:04 AM »
How the heck do you position the small opening of your 5quart jug to be in the precise location of the  Fumoto valve's oil arc when it drains?
or is your drain plug vertical? (The drain plug on my car is horizonal)

I heard about Fumoto valves but using a socket wrench to move my drain plug was not difficult. Didn't see the need to spend $20.
also, my oil opening has a removable plastic cover so if i did install a  Fumoto valve, the armadillo will jump bounce off that cover.

I’m sorry I missed this question, if you’re still reading…

My oil drain hole was at about a 45 degree angle and I knew which notches on my car stands would give me the right distance to have the valve inside the small jug hole. In your case you can just buy some rubber tubing to put over the valve on one end and into the jug on the other.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4889 on: January 27, 2024, 08:21:21 PM »
A very pricy Miele vacuum --we adopted a dog a few months ago and she is a high shedder! A cordless, high-powered vacuum sounds so dreamy right now as we are slowly getting buried under piles of husky hair.. :)

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4890 on: January 28, 2024, 05:52:44 AM »
A very pricy Miele vacuum --we adopted a dog a few months ago and she is a high shedder! A cordless, high-powered vacuum sounds so dreamy right now as we are slowly getting buried under piles of husky hair.. :)

What’s annoying about cordless vacuums is that the cheap ones tend to be a bit crap. :(

I’d be super happy to be proven wrong though.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4891 on: January 28, 2024, 06:21:46 AM »

A good vacuum is not a stupid thing to want if you have a husky.

Just wait until you have the spring "blow out" shed, yikes.

MrFancypants

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4892 on: January 28, 2024, 07:51:05 AM »
I regard vacuums like I do my tools… the level of quality I’m willing to pay for depends on what I intend to put it through. With a husky you may very well get your money out of a nicer vacuum.

My $200 box store Shark meets my needs but if I had a pet like yours I might want something a bit better.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4893 on: January 28, 2024, 08:11:46 AM »
A precise bathroom scale.  I am trying to get my weight under control. I know I should slowly take it off with new healthy eating habits. And since I have also been building work out habits as I transition from rehabilitation physio to functional physiotherapy I won't necessarily see weight loss since muscle weights more. But I would love to see some progress...clear numerical evidence. Clothes being more comfortable again is just not as tangible.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4894 on: January 28, 2024, 08:30:38 AM »
A precise bathroom scale.  I am trying to get my weight under control. I know I should slowly take it off with new healthy eating habits. And since I have also been building work out habits as I transition from rehabilitation physio to functional physiotherapy I won't necessarily see weight loss since muscle weights more. But I would love to see some progress...clear numerical evidence. Clothes being more comfortable again is just not as tangible.

I personally find measuring to be the most informative way to track because it's not one number that's heavily influenced by water levels, which fluctuate wildly, especially in women.

Obviously measurements are impacted by water retention, but not every number the same way, and the relative changes in the numbers gives a lot of insight into whether it's water or fat or muscle that's changing.

For example, my hip measurement goes up more relative to my thigh measurement if I'm retaining water because I retain so much in my lower abdomen.

So if the thigh goes up at the same rate or more than the hips, I can be certain that there's fat gain, unless I have radically upped my weight training in my thigh muscles and can see/feel that there's more muscle instead, but that would be pretty obvious.

It really helps me track composition much, much better than the scale does, and composition is really what matters.

Serendip

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4895 on: January 29, 2024, 04:41:16 PM »
I regard vacuums like I do my tools… the level of quality I’m willing to pay for depends on what I intend to put it through. With a husky you may very well get your money out of a nicer vacuum.

My $200 box store Shark meets my needs but if I had a pet like yours I might want something a bit better.

@Metalcat --yes, I've been warned about the spring blow-out. It's funny that we *accidentally* ended up with a husky b/c my SO is so, so particular about tidiness so it's harder for him to settle into the new reality. Our black clothes and wool socks are coated. Thank goodness she is also adorable.

We likely will purchase something good quality -- she's a long-term addition so we need a long-term solution!

And I agree about having long-lasting & solid tools @MrFancypants need to start doing my research and pick up a few extra shifts at work :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 04:42:54 PM by Serendip »

FrugalShrew

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4896 on: January 29, 2024, 04:53:43 PM »
It might just be best to switch to an asian style hole to squat over rather than a raised toilet.

I'm lusting after one of these.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
« Reply #4897 on: January 30, 2024, 09:39:13 PM »
Clean undershirts.

all of my my crew neck undershirts (3yrs to 10yrs+) have pit stains.
It's one of those little annoyances.

Now that i realized i'm going to die with too much $, i'm going to spend a little more while i'm breathing.
The next time i see hanes or fruit of the loom on sale, i'm buying 2 packages and replacing all of my ratty undershirts

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4898 on: January 31, 2024, 06:43:29 AM »
Clean undershirts.

Now that i realized i'm going to die with too much $, i'm going to spend a little more while i'm breathing.
The next time i see hanes or fruit of the loom on sale, i'm buying 2 packages and replacing all of my ratty undershirts

So mustachian!   ;-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4899 on: January 31, 2024, 07:46:32 AM »
Clean undershirts.

So mustachian!   ;-)

Just remember to never buy white undershirts so the problem doesn't occur again.