Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1312864 times)

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #4250 on: April 22, 2023, 06:04:39 PM »
Not sure if this is stupid but...

kinda out of the blue, I'm considering going to dog grooming school.

There seems to be a massive shortage of groomers.  In my area, they are charging $120+ for medium and larger dogs, and many places are so full that they just have recordings on their business phones and email auto-replies that say, "we are not currently taking new clients".  This is crazy!

So I'm thinking I could go do dog grooming school and then donate my services to local rescues and maybe a few local seniors who have trouble physically caring for their dogs and affording a groomer.  I might also take on a very few paying clients, just because, but I'd be very picky and only work with dogs and owners I really like. 

I'm sure the full equipment is spendy, but it seems I could write it off.  I think I'd be able to use my spouse's GI Bill benefits to cover the training.  (If I wait until he's out of them military, I'd actually get paid a modest housing allowance during my training, I think, but I'm not sure I want to wait if I decide to go forward with this.)

If course, this could also be a nice side hustle that I could scale up if needed, perhaps with help from my then-retired spouse, since it seems there's not requirement for any certification for a groomer's assistance.  (Or even for a groomer, at least in some states, as far I can tell.)  It's physical work so I don't know that we'd be doing this in our 80s, but I suspect we could manage a couple grooms a few days a week without suffering, well into our AARP years, if we wanted to. 

Is this totally crazy??!!?

It's not crazy, and you don't even need to go to dog grooming school to be able to do it. You just need practice.

Unless you are getting into fancy breed-specific cuts, there's nothing training will offer you that YouTube videos and a book on dog grooming can't.

It seems like the grooming schools offer supervised 'student' cuts, so I could practice on actual dogs without worrying too much about screwing it up.  And I could get used to the equipment, and also just make sure I don't hate it, and aren't terrible at it, before investing in equipment.  Those are the primary reasons I'd want a school, but I might also be able to just find a local groomer and offer my assistance for free, in exchange for training.  If someone is willing to take on an unpaid apprentice, that might do it, although I probably couldn't practice too much on paying clients.

I definitely wouldn't want to offer fancy breed-specific conformation cuts though.  This would be a low-fuss operation, for sure.  If you are looking for a show-perfect groom, Villanelle's Canine Cuts isn't for you.  If you want your dog clean, their nails trimmed, and their coat an appropriate length for the season, and you are your dog aren't assholes, we can talk! 

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4251 on: April 22, 2023, 07:27:43 PM »
...It seems like the grooming schools offer supervised 'student' cuts, so I could practice on actual dogs without worrying too much about screwing it up.  And I could get used to the equipment, and also just make sure I don't hate it, and aren't terrible at it, before investing in equipment. ...
This sounds like a really fun paid hobby if it pans out & a fun, if slightly expensive, educational experience at worst if not.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4252 on: April 22, 2023, 07:45:30 PM »
There seems to be a massive labor shortage in every industry, with the possible exception of all the folks getting laid off at the big tech companies

Unfortunately, those of us who work in tech have no practical skills at all.

As a software engineer I approve of this message.
Oddly relevant. Yesterday, I spoke for the first time with "T", my oncologist's scheduler/liason after someone else had been kind of an asshat to me. "T" was extremely kind and compassionate. We got to talking a bit and she mentioned she'd "only" been doing this job for ten years. I asked her what she'd done previously and what motivated her to make a change. Her answer: Software engineer. Huh.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4253 on: April 23, 2023, 05:37:15 AM »
There seems to be a massive labor shortage in every industry, with the possible exception of all the folks getting laid off at the big tech companies

Oddly relevant. Yesterday, I spoke for the first time with "T", my oncologist's scheduler/liason after someone else had been kind of an asshat to me. "T" was extremely kind and compassionate. We got to talking a bit and she mentioned she'd "only" been doing this job for ten years. I asked her what she'd done previously and what motivated her to make a change. Her answer: Software engineer. PpHuh.

Lol, yeah, I've lost track of how many things I've trained in. There are always new skills to learn.

Probably the stupidest thing I'm pushing after is the totally unrelated degree that I know I want to do after I finish this one.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4254 on: April 23, 2023, 09:00:55 AM »

As a general contractor I can second this ;-)

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4255 on: April 23, 2023, 11:37:35 AM »
I fondly remember riding in the back of my dad's pickup truck with my brothers & our dog, back in the 70's.  Nobody does that here anymore.  (I doubt it's legal.)

Hell, I used to do that all the time for hunting trips in the 90s - my friend, his dog and me in the back of his dad's truck.  :P

It’s still done frequently enough here in rural Alaska that it’s either still legal or unenforceable. People don’t really do it on the 4 lane highway going into anchorage much, but it’s pretty common to see in the small towns. We have a mile plus long sledding hill near our house that you can drive from base to top on a state highway. In the winter most the traffic is people taking turns driving truck loads of sledders and skiers to the top. As long as everyone stays insides the bed the park rangers who patrol the road are good with it. I have seen them stop people when someone is sitting on the side. Which fair enough, last thing we need is someone to fall out of the truck and get the hill closed down.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4256 on: April 24, 2023, 07:28:50 AM »
I fondly remember riding in the back of my dad's pickup truck with my brothers & our dog, back in the 70's.  Nobody does that here anymore.  (I doubt it's legal.)

Hell, I used to do that all the time for hunting trips in the 90s - my friend, his dog and me in the back of his dad's truck.  :P

It’s still done frequently enough here in rural Alaska that it’s either still legal or unenforceable. People don’t really do it on the 4 lane highway going into anchorage much, but it’s pretty common to see in the small towns. We have a mile plus long sledding hill near our house that you can drive from base to top on a state highway. In the winter most the traffic is people taking turns driving truck loads of sledders and skiers to the top. As long as everyone stays insides the bed the park rangers who patrol the road are good with it. I have seen them stop people when someone is sitting on the side. Which fair enough, last thing we need is someone to fall out of the truck and get the hill closed down.

I'm pretty sure its legal in NC, the main stipulation is that you need to have a Busch lite in your hand.  Kidding kidding...it is legal in NC, you just have to be over 16 and it can't be on a limited access highway. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4257 on: April 24, 2023, 08:31:21 AM »
Okay...I know I *just* bought an RV, but I didn't *really* buy an RV, I bought an alternative to an insulated shed, but on wheels, that I can sell when I don't need an insulated shed anymore, probably for a profit.

To have an actual RV, I would have to invest in this shed-on-wheels and that might be suboptimal since it's ancient.

But now I want an actual RV. I really want a travel trailer, but I don't have a car that can tow a travel trailer, my car couldn't tow a children's wagon. But I love my little econo-car and it's perfect for 90+% of our use, much of which is in the city and benefits immensely from being tiny and very parkable, especially since I can't walk much.

For our particular travel uses, having a separate car and trailer is more optimal than an RV and tow car. And much less expensive.

It's just stupid and I can't justify it at this time. Once DH retires though, I already have the trailer I want picked out and we won't live in this city anymore, plus the car will be dead or dying by then.

It would be SO NICE though for traveling to and from our summer home, and road trips around Newfoundland. Once we retire it would be used for much longer slow-travel trips. But if I didn't LOVE my econo-car so much and if I had any current use for a larger vehicle, I would do this in a heartbeat.

So yeah...I REALLY want an RV now, but I have to wait.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4258 on: April 24, 2023, 09:04:12 AM »

There seems to be a massive shortage of groomers.  In my area, they are charging $120+ for medium and larger dogs, and many places are so full that they just have recordings on their business phones and email auto-replies that say, "we are not currently taking new clients".  This is crazy!

So I'm thinking I could go do dog grooming school and then donate my services to local rescues and maybe a few local seniors who have trouble physically caring for their dogs and affording a groomer.  I might also take on a very few paying clients, just because, but I'd be very picky and only work with dogs and owners I really like. 

I'm sure the full equipment is spendy, but it seems I could write it off.  I think I'd be able to use my spouse's GI Bill benefits to cover the training.  (If I wait until he's out of them military, I'd actually get paid a modest housing allowance during my training, I think, but I'm not sure I want to wait if I decide to go forward with this.)

If course, this could also be a nice side hustle that I could scale up if needed, perhaps with help from my then-retired spouse, since it seems there's not requirement for any certification for a groomer's assistance.  (Or even for a groomer, at least in some states, as far I can tell.)  It's physical work so I don't know that we'd be doing this in our 80s, but I suspect we could manage a couple grooms a few days a week without suffering, well into our AARP years, if we wanted to. 

I was laid off from a job years ago and a woman I worked with was also laid off. Soon as she left, she went to dog grooming school and graduated. I think she worked for Petco for a short while. If I remember correctly, she got bit and decided grooming wasn't for her. If you want free training, Petco used to have some kind of an apprentice program. I think you start as a dog washer and then work up to the grooming. Then, once you are experienced, they pay you groomer rates. This was a long time ago that I was a bit interested in pursuing grooming but never did. Maybe you can find something online about it. Another thing that I looked into briefly was dog massage. Believe it or not it is a 'thing'. Once you get the training, you could hook up with a groomer or vet office and offer this service, open your own parlor or go to the clients home. They say it is helpful for arthritic dogs or dogs with other ailments.

I also don't think I would have the patience to deal with grooming. I had dogs my whole life that needed grooming. Just brushing my dogs used to drive me crazy. They were totally uncooperative. As gentle as I tried to be, they would fight me tooth and nail to the point of my head exploding! I have a grooming table with a noose to hold their heads still, but they still just barely cooperated. I am talking 15 and 20 lb dogs! Not the jumbo giants that some people have!

If you can get a free apprenticeship, go for it and see if it is for you. The groomer I used for my dogs has been doing it for probably 40 years out of her house. I don't know how she does it. She is about 71 years old now. I know she treated my dogs well because they were never freaked out by going to her house when I took them there.

Haha, loved the comment on choosing customers and dogs that aren't assholes!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 09:16:23 AM by Roadrunner53 »

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4259 on: April 24, 2023, 09:37:45 AM »

I was laid off from a job years ago and a woman I worked with was also laid off. Soon as she left, she went to dog grooming school and graduated. I think she worked for Petco for a short while. If I remember correctly, she got bit and decided grooming wasn't for her. If you want free training, Petco used to have some kind of an apprentice program. I think you start as a dog washer and then work up to the grooming. Then, once you are experienced, they pay you groomer rates. This was a long time ago that I was a bit interested in pursuing grooming but never did. Maybe you can find something online about it. Another thing that I looked into briefly was dog massage. Believe it or not it is a 'thing'. Once you get the training, you could hook up with a groomer or vet office and offer this service, open your own parlor or go to the clients home. They say it is helpful for arthritic dogs or dogs with other ailments.

I also don't think I would have the patience to deal with grooming. I had dogs my whole life that needed grooming. Just brushing my dogs used to drive me crazy. They were totally uncooperative. As gentle as I tried to be, they would fight me tooth and nail to the point of my head exploding! I have a grooming table with a noose to hold their heads still, but they still just barely cooperated. I am talking 15 and 20 lb dogs! Not the jumbo giants that some people have!

If you can get a free apprenticeship, go for it and see if it is for you. The groomer I used for my dogs has been doing it for probably 40 years out of her house. I don't know how she does it. She is about 71 years old now. I know she treated my dogs well because they were never freaked out by going to her house when I took them there.

Haha, loved the comment on choosing customers and dogs that aren't assholes!

There are some schools, but it does seem that many learn the craft (trade?  skill?) with an apprenticeship.  I'd prefer the former, just because I think it would get it finished more quickly, and i don't love the idea of being at the whims of Petsmart.  I have no desire at all to be an employee.  Paid or unpaid.  Like, if I could just call and see if they happen to have grooming appointments today and I cold come by and help and learn, unpaid, that would be fine.  But being on a set schedule and yet having no control over whether I actually get to observe the grooming (or help with it)  or if I'm stuck giving baths to spiteful chihuahuas all day--sounds awful. 

We had a mobile pet groomer for our girls, and I'd have totally asked her if I could ride along and help sometimes when my schedule permitted.  As a one-woman show, I think she would have appreciated the help but also been able to give me what I needed.  But wearily, she ghosted us. I txted her the day before I appointment that I'd see her tomorrow, she responded with a thumbs up, and then never showed and never returned any of my texts  Super odd.  Maybe she got eaten by an angry chihuahua!  (Can you tell that chis are my least favorite breed, and the kind of dog I am legitimately most scared of?  No Chis will be accepted at Villanelle's Philanthropic Dog Spa!)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4260 on: April 24, 2023, 09:55:12 AM »
I wish you well if you pursue dog grooming! Just be prepared for a lot of great dogs to groom and a lot of jerk head dogs too. However, with professional training, you will learn the techniques to make life easier to groom the uncooperative ones!

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4261 on: April 24, 2023, 10:20:59 AM »
I wish you well if you pursue dog grooming! Just be prepared for a lot of great dogs to groom and a lot of jerk head dogs too. However, with professional training, you will learn the techniques to make life easier to groom the uncooperative ones!

Since I'd mostly be volunteering, I'll be able to just reject dogs that don't feel safe. And any paying clients would be carefully vetted (ha!) and at the first signs of aggression or  assholeness, they'd no longer be clients.  I don't expect them to sit perfectly still and politely raise their paws to have their toes clipped.  Wiggling and resistance is fine.  So I think I'm realistic.  (And I've now watched many, many youtube videos from dog groomers.  Not instructive types.  More "this is what it's like to be a groomer" vibe.  So I know there will be objections on the part of the beasts.  But at some point, it won't be worth it.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4262 on: April 24, 2023, 10:34:50 AM »
Okay...I know I *just* bought an RV, but I didn't *really* buy an RV, I bought an alternative to an insulated shed, but on wheels, that I can sell when I don't need an insulated shed anymore, probably for a profit.

To have an actual RV, I would have to invest in this shed-on-wheels and that might be suboptimal since it's ancient.

But now I want an actual RV. I really want a travel trailer, but I don't have a car that can tow a travel trailer, my car couldn't tow a children's wagon. But I love my little econo-car and it's perfect for 90+% of our use, much of which is in the city and benefits immensely from being tiny and very parkable, especially since I can't walk much.

For our particular travel uses, having a separate car and trailer is more optimal than an RV and tow car. And much less expensive.

It's just stupid and I can't justify it at this time. Once DH retires though, I already have the trailer I want picked out and we won't live in this city anymore, plus the car will be dead or dying by then.

It would be SO NICE though for traveling to and from our summer home, and road trips around Newfoundland. Once we retire it would be used for much longer slow-travel trips. But if I didn't LOVE my econo-car so much and if I had any current use for a larger vehicle, I would do this in a heartbeat.

So yeah...I REALLY want an RV now, but I have to wait.

What trailer are you looking at?
I had an inherited vintage trailer for years and it had some quirky things about it, but it was fun.
I live in a rain forest so the issue is always leaks; it's a matter of when, not if, your roof will leak around here, so a covered storage is essential long term.
I was intrigued by the pop up trailers because of the ease of storage, but the big disadvantage would be use during a road trip where you really don't want to crank it up just to eat lunch at a rest stop.
I built a simple traveling van with just a fold up bed in the middle and a separate area in the back for gear (it was my carpenter work van), it was great for road trips but would have been  sub optimal for a long trip. I sold that van with 305k on the odometer (it was a diesel).
I have a vintage 70's van now but I haven't built it out, I was thinking of selling it instead as prices rise.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4263 on: April 24, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »
A Breville Grind Control coffee maker. It's about $500 CAD. https://www.breville.com/ca/en/products/coffee/bdc650.html

Imagine waking to the sound of your coffee maker grinding beans and making you the perfect cup of coffee. Sure, I can shuffle the ten paces and do each step myself, but in my uncaffeinated state, I always manage to spill 5% of the grounds on the counter, and they get everywhere. It'd be a slippery slope though. Because of the price, I'd want to use distilled water to avoid hard water build-up, and would probably want to buy better beans, so my price per cup would soar from about 20 cents  to probably closer to 50 cents. ....

Hang on... I can totally afford that.... Wait... I'm so confused. Someone please talk some sense in to me.

I bought the machine and it is underwhelming (cold, weak coffee anyone?). Since it has failed my awesomeness:price standard, it's going back.  But at least I can feel like I sparked a fun discussion on MMM having become spendy. Yay for me, living life as a warning to others! You're welcome!

Agreed, my rich brother has one and it's absolutely underwhelming. Every time he has coffee at my house (from my battered aluminum cafetiere), he says, "Ah, this is so good!"

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4264 on: April 24, 2023, 12:35:59 PM »
What trailer are you looking at?
I had an inherited vintage trailer for years and it had some quirky things about it, but it was fun.
I live in a rain forest so the issue is always leaks; it's a matter of when, not if, your roof will leak around here, so a covered storage is essential long term.
I was intrigued by the pop up trailers because of the ease of storage, but the big disadvantage would be use during a road trip where you really don't want to crank it up just to eat lunch at a rest stop.
I built a simple traveling van with just a fold up bed in the middle and a separate area in the back for gear (it was my carpenter work van), it was great for road trips but would have been  sub optimal for a long trip. I sold that van with 305k on the odometer (it was a diesel).
I have a vintage 70's van now but I haven't built it out, I was thinking of selling it instead as prices rise.

The one I liked the most was a 19ft Ibex

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4265 on: April 24, 2023, 01:00:06 PM »
I love watching the grooming videos that this lady posts because they are both humourous and informative: https://www.youtube.com/@GirlWithTheDogs

My 9-year-old watches this channel and now insists on filming and narrating whenever I bathe our dog and cat (the cat has a skin condition and needs a lot of baths). The cinematography is completely unwatchable, but I save them all for his spot-on impression of The Girl with the Dogs; he has her diction down pat. "THIS is Mean Cat, and he really lives up to his name. It's unlikely that Mama will leave THIS groom, without some battle wounds." "THIS is Old Lady Dog, and she wants you to know, she does NOT like the ramp to this grooming table."

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4266 on: April 24, 2023, 01:36:46 PM »

There are some schools, but it does seem that many learn the craft (trade?  skill?) with an apprenticeship.  I'd prefer the former, just because I think it would get it finished more quickly, and i don't love the idea of being at the whims of Petsmart.  I have no desire at all to be an employee.  Paid or unpaid.  Like, if I could just call and see if they happen to have grooming appointments today and I cold come by and help and learn, unpaid, that would be fine.  But being on a set schedule and yet having no control over whether I actually get to observe the grooming (or help with it)  or if I'm stuck giving baths to spiteful chihuahuas all day--sounds awful. 

We had a mobile pet groomer for our girls, and I'd have totally asked her if I could ride along and help sometimes when my schedule permitted.  As a one-woman show, I think she would have appreciated the help but also been able to give me what I needed.  But wearily, she ghosted us. I txted her the day before I appointment that I'd see her tomorrow, she responded with a thumbs up, and then never showed and never returned any of my texts  Super odd.  Maybe she got eaten by an angry chihuahua!  (Can you tell that chis are my least favorite breed, and the kind of dog I am legitimately most scared of?  No Chis will be accepted at Villanelle's Philanthropic Dog Spa!)

Have you asked your local animal shelter or city pound if they'd teach you the basics? My city pound has an endless need for volunteers to bathe and brush dogs, and the staff showed me how when I started. It can be stressful on the dogs, so not all of the volunteers are willing to do it, so you'll be treated like gold. Where I go they don't have the fanciest equipment (ie no dryers) and don't actually cut coats, but it's still impressive the difference that you can make to a dog's appearance and comfort with a good brush 'n bath. If you apprenticed elsewhere with a dog groomer and came back with a knowledge of how to use fancy equipment and do the cuts, they might even buy what you need if they thought that they were assured a fair amount of free skilled labour.

I love watching the grooming videos that this lady posts because they are both humourous and informative: https://www.youtube.com/@GirlWithTheDogs

I haven't, but that's a great suggestion.  Thanks!

And yes, Girl with the Dogs is the main one I've been watching!

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4267 on: April 24, 2023, 01:45:03 PM »

Since I'd mostly be volunteering, I'll be able to just reject dogs that don't feel safe. And any paying clients would be carefully vetted (ha!) and at the first signs of aggression or  assholeness, they'd no longer be clients.  I don't expect them to sit perfectly still and politely raise their paws to have their toes clipped.  Wiggling and resistance is fine.  So I think I'm realistic.  (And I've now watched many, many youtube videos from dog groomers.  Not instructive types.  More "this is what it's like to be a groomer" vibe.  So I know there will be objections on the part of the beasts.  But at some point, it won't be worth it.

Jeez, props to you.  I can't really think of anything more awful to do with a dog than cut their damn nails.  And that was with my own dog that I loved, I can't imagine doing it with some stranger's asshole dog with their associated asshole owner.  I'd be rejecting 4 out of 5 dogs that come in. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4268 on: April 24, 2023, 01:47:28 PM »

Jeez, props to you.  I can't really think of anything more awful to do with a dog than cut their damn nails.  And that was with my own dog that I loved, I can't imagine doing it with some stranger's asshole dog with their associated asshole owner.  I'd be rejecting 4 out of 5 dogs that come in.

It's often one of the easiest parts of grooming a dog.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4269 on: April 24, 2023, 02:04:53 PM »

That's sortof my point.  I hated doing it on my own dog, I can't imagine doing it on someone else's dog voluntarily. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4270 on: April 24, 2023, 02:26:53 PM »

That's sortof my point.  I hated doing it on my own dog, I can't imagine doing it on someone else's dog voluntarily.

Oh, I understood that point. But you said you couldn't think of anything more awful to do with a dog, and I'm saying that a lot of the rest of the grooming process makes the nails look easy.

I groom my poodle and it's a fucking fight.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4271 on: April 24, 2023, 02:45:51 PM »

Oh, I understood that point. But you said you couldn't think of anything more awful to do with a dog, and I'm saying that a lot of the rest of the grooming process makes the nails look easy.

Haha Metalcat, my last poodle lived to be almost 19 years old and to the end he hated to be brushed. He fought me like a demon! At the same time I had a Pomeranian, and he was such a good boy! He let me brush him and was pissed off when I did the poodle first. He wanted all the attention! However, he was a hairy beast and brushing him left me covered in fur! Poodles are very smart and ours was THE BOSS! LOL! He ruled the roost!

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4272 on: April 24, 2023, 03:02:36 PM »

Haha Metalcat, my last poodle lived to be almost 19 years old and to the end he hated to be brushed. He fought me like a demon! At the same time I had a Pomeranian, and he was such a good boy! He let me brush him and was pissed off when I did the poodle first. He wanted all the attention! However, he was a hairy beast and brushing him left me covered in fur! Poodles are very smart and ours was THE BOSS! LOL! He ruled the roost!

My parents and I once spent an entire day giving their poodle a quarantine haircut. By the end of it, I was convinced I was up against a superior intelligence. Never. Again.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4273 on: April 24, 2023, 03:08:35 PM »

Lol, yeah, I've started paying for professional grooming again for my poodle thanks to the broken femur, and I can't believe I've been doing it myself for the past decade.

Like, was the battle of wills something I enjoyed?? What kind of masochist am I?

My poodle is 6lbs and it would take me 9 hours over 3 days to groom him.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4274 on: April 24, 2023, 03:33:32 PM »

Lol, yeah, I've started paying for professional grooming again for my poodle thanks to the broken femur, and I can't believe I've been doing it myself for the past decade.

Like, was the battle of wills something I enjoyed?? What kind of masochist am I?

My poodle is 6lbs and it would take me 9 hours over 3 days to groom him.

My Poodle was 15 lbs his whole life and never gained an ounce. In his last months he lost around 2 lbs but all muscle. They may be little but so very strong! I was ever so thankful for the groomer. I don't know how she does it at her age and keeps her patience. There is no negotiating with a dog to get them to cooperate. They have minds of their own and will fight to the end!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4275 on: April 25, 2023, 06:46:43 AM »
Groom the Poodle sounds funny.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4276 on: May 10, 2023, 06:22:50 AM »
OMG, I don't know if you folks remember the silliness of discussing my lusting after an electric wheelchair, and somehow it turned into talk about exoskeletons and all terrain wheelchairs?

Well check out the insanity that I just saw on FB. This is near my rural Newfoundland house that I'm heading to I'm 2 weeks.

Just look at this thing! Honestly, I would consider it if it wasn't 12K

« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 07:09:17 AM by Metalcat »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4277 on: May 10, 2023, 06:35:54 AM »
sweet

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #4278 on: May 10, 2023, 07:07:28 AM »
After this week's dog show...a petit basset griffon Vendéen.   However to get over that feeling; I'll just take my little part terrier/part chihuahua/part whatever else on a long walk. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4279 on: May 10, 2023, 07:14:06 AM »
Now I kinda want a tacticool wheelchair.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4280 on: May 10, 2023, 07:15:45 AM »

I could go on trails with that thing.

Although, a lot of those trails are right along the edges of cliffs and Newfies don't believe in guardrails.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4281 on: May 10, 2023, 07:25:51 AM »
After this week's dog show...a petit basset griffon Vendéen.   However to get over that feeling; I'll just take my little part terrier/part chihuahua/part whatever else on a long walk.

I used to dog-sit for a basset fauve de bretagne. SO smart and sweet!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4282 on: May 10, 2023, 07:35:06 AM »

I could go on trails with that thing.

Although, a lot of those trails are right along the edges of cliffs and Newfies don't believe in guardrails.

Statement is both true on walking paths and while drinking.  :P

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4283 on: May 10, 2023, 07:57:46 AM »
OMG, I don't know if you folks remember the silliness of discussing my lusting after an electric wheelchair, and somehow it turned into talk about exoskeletons and all terrain wheelchairs?

Well check out the insanity that I just saw on FB. This is near my rural Newfoundland house that I'm heading to I'm 2 weeks.

We have a neighbor with a similar wheelchair.  I see him out in the garden beds of their nicely landscaped yard that slopes toward the lake.  I assume he used to care for the beds and the ATV wheelchair allows him to continue spending time with his plants. 

The model he has isn't camo and maybe not quite as heavy-duty.  Perhaps it's a bit more affordable.  Maybe you can find one that isn't $12K. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4284 on: May 10, 2023, 08:22:18 AM »

We have a neighbor with a similar wheelchair.  I see him out in the garden beds of their nicely landscaped yard that slopes toward the lake.  I assume he used to care for the beds and the ATV wheelchair allows him to continue spending time with his plants. 

The model he has isn't camo and maybe not quite as heavy-duty.  Perhaps it's a bit more affordable.  Maybe you can find one that isn't $12K.

I don't actually need a tank-tread wheelchair. It's just that I'm about to head out to my summer home, which is an area absolutely famous for its walking-hiking trails and I can only barely walk a block with crutches at the moment because I have a broken femur.

It's just hilarious that this particular chair is for sale out in that particular location because that particular location is out in the middle of fucking NOWHERE.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4285 on: May 10, 2023, 08:39:02 AM »

I don't actually need a tank-tread wheelchair. It's just that I'm about to head out to my summer home, which is an area absolutely famous for its walking-hiking trails and I can only barely walk a block with crutches at the moment because I have a broken femur.

It's just hilarious that this particular chair is for sale out in that particular location because that particular location is out in the middle of fucking NOWHERE.
How much do you think it cost brand new? What is the likelihood that a Newfie who needs it will have $12G to spare? I'll bet that price is very fluid for someone with cold, hard cash. Also, if it's not selling, might they rent it to you for the season? Your powers of persuasion are formidable and I wouldn't bet against you. Fingers crossed.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4286 on: May 10, 2023, 09:12:02 AM »

How much do you think it cost brand new? What is the likelihood that a Newfie who needs it will have $12G to spare? I'll bet that price is very fluid for someone with cold, hard cash. Also, if it's not selling, might they rent it to you for the season? Your powers of persuasion are formidable and I wouldn't bet against you. Fingers crossed.

You're not wrong, but really, I don't need an all terrain chair. The main place I would need the chair is back here in Ontario for my next surgery and it would be a bitch to try and transport it back and forth.

This really isn't something I need and therefore is very appropriate for this thread.

I could ask them about renting it though. I have a small trailer I could haul it with.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4287 on: May 10, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »
http://www.vinceconncorvette.com/uploadedFiles/photos/photoGallery_17446_l.jpeg

I'm blaming the current sports car itch on the new boyfriend, who's a rotary engine guy (to be fair, this is less expensive than an RX7).  But I also know that these things look cool, but ride like shit. 

PJC74

• Stubble
« Reply #4288 on: May 10, 2023, 03:00:00 PM »
Basketball and pickleball sport court. Court would be mostly for basketball for my son, daughter and myself. Adding the pickleball lines as it’s something I would like to get into and add another healthy hobby.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4289 on: May 10, 2023, 03:22:22 PM »

I'm blaming the current sports car itch on the new boyfriend, who's a rotary engine guy (to be fair, this is less expensive than an RX7).  But I also know that these things look cool, but ride like shit.

Lol, rotary engines are paaaainfully inefficient on fuel. It's actually hilarious. Tiny little engines, massive gas consumption.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4290 on: May 10, 2023, 04:43:16 PM »

Lol, rotary engines are paaaainfully inefficient on fuel. It's actually hilarious. Tiny little engines, massive gas consumption.

And unreliable to boot.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4291 on: May 10, 2023, 05:34:31 PM »
I misread that the wheelchair was $2k, and I was thinking that seemed entirely reasonable, but maybe you could see if they will take $1800.   That extra digit certainly makes a difference. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4292 on: May 10, 2023, 06:19:43 PM »
I misread that the wheelchair was $2k, and I was thinking that seemed entirely reasonable, but maybe you could see if they will take $1800.   That extra digit certainly makes a difference.

Lol, yeah, I would totally buy it for 2K, but for perspective, the manual wheelchair I have retails for 3K.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4293 on: May 10, 2023, 06:48:48 PM »

And unreliable to boot.

Hey, they only need to be rebuilt due to apex seal failure once every 80k-100k miles! Such an engineering masterpiece!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4294 on: May 11, 2023, 12:35:39 PM »
I think he was referring to how the locals ride around on bikes without lights or even reflectors at dusk, or even after dark.  I drove around Costa Rica for a few weeks last year and the bikes really made me nervous.  It would be easy to hit one by mistake.

I lived in southern Italy for a while many years ago and there were alot of African immigrants that would walk the country roads at night. And there was sometimes fog...

Bad, bad combo. Dark complexion, a propensity to choose dark clothing, dark country roads and sometimes - fog. Only had one close call but it very much changed how I drove that route. After that I centered my car on the center of the road until I saw an oncoming car and then I'd slow way down until I could retake the center of the road.

As much as I liked visiting my country friends, I hated driving the roads to and from their house after dark.

Had something similar happen here recently. 45-50 mph country road that I travel often. No shoulder. Came over a little rise on the road to find 4-5 kids walking on the dark road in the middle of my lane. They acted surprised as if they couldn't hear me coming or see my lights. No one was hurt but I think we all had a moment. Nope that never happens again.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4295 on: May 16, 2023, 02:11:28 AM »
I caved and bought some new socks. A few too many of my existing ones are getting translucent in the heels. :-(  (I have a medical issue which causes a weird gait which causes me to twist my feet a bit when I walk; it results in extra wear in shoes and socks in the heel.)

The stupid part is that I think I might just go through all my socks and toss the ones that look like they're about to fail instead of waiting until they actually develop holes, one by one. Wouldn't it be nice not to walk around with socks that aren't a tenth of a millimeter thick at the heel - when you're a person who constantly rubs their heel against the inside of their shoe? Oh, the luxury...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4296 on: May 16, 2023, 04:23:38 AM »
I caved and bought some new socks. A few too many of my existing ones are getting translucent in the heels. :-(  (I have a medical issue which causes a weird gait which causes me to twist my feet a bit when I walk; it results in extra wear in shoes and socks in the heel.)

The stupid part is that I think I might just go through all my socks and toss the ones that look like they're about to fail instead of waiting until they actually develop holes, one by one. Wouldn't it be nice not to walk around with socks that aren't a tenth of a millimeter thick at the heel - when you're a person who constantly rubs their heel against the inside of their shoe? Oh, the luxury...

When people ask what I’d do if I suddenly became wealthy* my stock response is: I’d run out and buy a dozen pairs of Darn Tuff socks!!

*funny thing is, I consider us fairly wealthy already. Not “FIRE with a budget of $100k+”, but enough where we don’t sweat the random four-figure expenses that pop up now and again. Certainly we could buy a dozen on a whim and not stress over the credit charge when it came due.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4297 on: May 16, 2023, 04:34:05 AM »

When people ask what I’d do if I suddenly became wealthy* my stock response is: I’d run out and buy a dozen pairs of Darn Tuff socks!!

*funny thing is, I consider us fairly wealthy already. Not “FIRE with a budget of $100k+”, but enough where we don’t sweat the random four-figure expenses that pop up now and again. Certainly we could buy a dozen on a whim and not stress over the credit charge when it came due.

I have a dozen pairs of ice breaker socks at least. DH prefers Darn Tuff, I have one pair, but the rest are ice breaker.

I banned anyone from ever buying me gifts with the only exception being ice breaker socks. It's glorious.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4298 on: May 16, 2023, 07:41:23 AM »
My 9-year-old started raiding my sock drawer for the good Smartwool socks a couple of years ago, then started asking for his own. Now I have a tiny sock snob who keeps forgetting his expensive socks, or worse, MY expensive socks, on the playground, at his dad's house, at school, and everywhere else. I think half my life is spent rounding up his socks and picking all the playground mulch out of them. It's a curse. Maybe I should ban everyone from buying him gifts that aren't quality socks!

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4299 on: May 16, 2023, 08:04:06 AM »
I banned anyone from ever buying me gifts with the only exception being ice breaker socks. It's glorious.

My birthday is in a couple of weeks and I briefly considered waiting and putting them on my wishlist, but the socks I like are cheap white cotton athletic socks (cushioned on the bottom to protect my tumor and heel spurs and just enough elastic not to come off with my weird twisty walking). They're like $13 for a six pack. It's like putting a jar of peanut butter and a loaf of bread on your wishlist. I mean, sure, you want them and you'll use them, but... it's not a good gift.