Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1295193 times)

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #4050 on: February 14, 2023, 10:37:12 AM »
a lemon tree - well any citrus plants.

I was in a greenhouse yesterday and they were selling potted citrus.  Beautiful photos of lemons and limes and grapefruits. Lots of blooms on the plants.  But alas, I live in the frozen north, without enough light most of the year.

I live south of you (Pennsylvania) and have been nursing a lemon tree through our winters, bringing it inside with a light, etc, for over 3 years now. I do not recommend it, unless you have your own greenhouse. It does not grow well and is nowhere near producing fruit. While they are self-fertile, you do have to hand pollinate if it's indoors. It's not even a pretty tree most of the time.
Well that was good information.  Won't be thinking about it again until I have my own greenhouse. I also lust for my own greenhouse but it is not a stupid thing.

I'm not sure about the cost comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if a grow room isn't more affordable than a small greenhouse.  Greenhouses are expensive to heat & cool, the sunlight is seasonal & unpredictable.  With high-efficiency LED lighting and good insulation, I think a grow room might be a good option.  It would be easier to set up and also to relocate if you move.
I'm not sure where to find cost comparison info, but I doubt it would be hard to find. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4051 on: February 14, 2023, 11:10:09 AM »
I've nursed a lemon tree to health from seed and had it growing for several years here in Toronto.  It was never happy though, and didn't do well during winters.  Eventually one spring while it was basking outside, a squirrel decided that it would be better out of the pot than in the pot and that was the end of that.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4052 on: February 16, 2023, 07:25:10 AM »
I've been getting the itch to start converting one of my existing project cars to an EV - it's mostly down for body work but the drivetrain has seen better days and needs a fair bit of work. A friend recently started converting an old go-kart with a blown engine as a test bed and eventually work up to converting a road legal car that can handle trips around town. We've been chatting about the research and build for a while and it looks like a lot of fun.

My intended project car would be on the heavy side so dealing with battery capacity and finding a suitable motor+controller would be challenging (expensive). There are more mass-produced EVs hitting the junk yards, though, so getting OEM parts to build from is getting easier all the time. 

I have a bunch of other projects I'd need to tackle first so I'm biding my time and keeping an eye on how my friend is doing so he can be the guinea pig. :)

I'd probably piece together my own design rather than pay the high cost of a kit but in case this is useful to you: https://www.evwest.com/catalog/

Am probably on my last season with the batteries in my electric lawn tractor. Love that thing... ~50 years old and still useful.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4053 on: February 16, 2023, 07:36:42 AM »
The $999 stainless steel tool chest @ Costco.
So organized, and so shiny!

Some time ago I went with a pair of US Generals from Harbor Freight. I have a couple more at work and they've been really good for my needs.
Money well spent b/c I no longer spend half a project looking for stray tools - I put them away like a good boy. ;)

Stainless would be nice though. I looked at their Icon (aka Pro) toolboxes. Really nice but I don't need a $3500 toolbox to store $1000 worth of tools to work on a $2K car. ;)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4054 on: February 16, 2023, 07:43:32 AM »
To lose weight, but never end up doing it. Spending extra money each month on groceries to support my added adiposity.  Heavy people burn more calories so they can eat more.. so remaining fat is very costly especially since groceries are our biggest expense followed by utilities, healthcare, then home.

I lust after food too much.  I need to break this.  It's hard.. dang insulin resistance makes those with metabolic issues hungry often.  But if I am determined I can overcome the insulin resistance and hunger and after a week or so things start to feel normal losing weight.  Wish me luck!  I've been trying hard lately.

Have you tried fasting? I start at 8PM and don't eat until lunch. I do have a morning coffee - coffee and a tspn of sugar. And at lunch most of the time I'm eating a salad - something really crunchy (lots of cabbage) b/c apparently I like to chew. The only problem is by dinner even wooden door frames start to look appetizing. That said I think it has helped control my sugar (never measure) and I definitely have more energy. I think it'll be a long term improvement process.

Best thing is I don't crave sweets during the day and not always in the evening either. Have given up soda except occasionally on the weekends. What I do need is a substantial dinner - not in size, just a well rounded meal. Another salad would not be appetizing then. ;)

Good luck with your project. Keep us updated.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #4055 on: February 20, 2023, 01:42:18 PM »
A fancy "sport-specific" bag, like the patagonia cragsmith or a mountain hardware equivalent.

I have so much gearlust. I could use a backpack style rope bag, too. The Mtn Hardware one looks sturdier. I probably just keep using the sling style one I have, though.

The first few years I had good earnings I went a bit nuts on gear. Fortunately all of my preferred activities were me powered so it wasn’t that much damage to the stash. A few years in a realized my pack kept getting heavier but the mountains weren’t really any prettier and shifted back towards my minimalist roots. I still have a bunch of “expensive” gear i rarely if ever use but hesitate to part with because it was expensive. I also have some expensive gear that bought for a specific adventure and have since I’ve used to often it was a bargain… sleeping bag, pad, liner, and back pack I’m using this week to visit Baja on the cheap we’re all bought in 2012 for my trip around the world. I proved on that trip that everything I need for a moderate climate adventure fits into a 42 L pack.

Buy the gear you really need but beware of all the shiny things you don’t. :)

As long as you have room to store them, and they'll get used again, sport-specific gear like this is definitely a weakness I feel no guilt over.  The quality stuff is made to last forever, and the activities I enjoy with this gear is good for me both mentally and physically.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4056 on: February 22, 2023, 07:47:57 AM »
The local bike shop is doing a mountain bike demo day featuring Pivot Bikes. I've been lusting over Pivots for a decade. I signed up to finally ride one. I sure hope I don't like it because the cheap version is $6200.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4057 on: February 22, 2023, 01:00:11 PM »
The local bike shop is doing a mountain bike demo day featuring Pivot Bikes. I've been lusting over Pivots for a decade. I signed up to finally ride one. I sure hope I don't like it because the cheap version is $6200.

Well, just don't bring your credit card, then ;)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4058 on: February 22, 2023, 04:36:29 PM »
Having never seen them, what makes Pivot so attractive to you?

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4059 on: February 23, 2023, 08:18:44 AM »

I think back in the day it was innovative rear suspension but now several brands use the same suspension technology. I don't really know why I lust for that bike but I do. Probably effective marketing.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #4060 on: February 23, 2023, 05:21:34 PM »

I think back in the day it was innovative rear suspension but now several brands use the same suspension technology. I don't really know why I lust for that bike but I do. Probably effective marketing.

I don’t understand why, but Pivot Bikes’ marketing works well on me, too.  And I have absolutely no need for a new bike!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4061 on: February 23, 2023, 07:56:52 PM »

I don’t understand why, but Pivot Bikes’ marketing works well on me, too.  And I have absolutely no need for a new bike!

I am so grateful that my avid mountain biker DH is somehow stuck in the early 2000s when it comes to bike technology and bike branding.

It's so easy to make him happy. I bought him a 20 year old full suspension mountain bike* as an upgrade from his old hardtail Brody and he thought he was in heaven.

I hope he never discovers the world of modern mountain bikes.

*Cannondale Jekyll 800, it gets A LOT of attention on the trails for it's crazy looking suspension

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #4062 on: February 24, 2023, 02:35:13 AM »
Yester years premium mountain bikes are great fun. Reliable, easy to ride. It's so nice being satisfied with what you have and not trying to chase the next best thing.

I'm lusting after this house. I don't need another house. And I really don't need another project of this size. But God damn, that view.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 02:39:27 AM by gooki »

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4063 on: February 24, 2023, 05:32:09 AM »
Yester years premium mountain bikes are great fun. Reliable, easy to ride. It's so nice being satisfied with what you have and not trying to chase the next best thing.

I'm lusting after this house. I don't need another house. And I really don't need another project of this size. But God damn, that view.

I get it. I impulse bought a house with a view like that last year.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4064 on: February 24, 2023, 05:49:07 AM »
I'm lusting after a bigger budget for our house hunt. We're in a shockingly competitive market right now, at least in the area we're looking. Seems like every house we see that's not complete shit has multiple offers in 2-3 days, and we just can't compete. But we also don't want to overpay, or empty my brokerage account into a static asset...

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4065 on: February 24, 2023, 06:49:45 AM »

Yours is a bit colder though … ;-)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4066 on: February 24, 2023, 06:54:32 AM »

Yours is a bit colder though … ;-)

The cold isn't the problem. The 100km winds are the big thing.

The view is just as nice from inside though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:57:13 AM by Metalcat »

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4067 on: February 24, 2023, 06:58:35 AM »

Yeah, I don't need another bike either and I really don't need a fancy bike for the trails I ride. However I do plan on doing some MTB centric road trips in the near future so it would be nice to have a bike that could handle some of the rougher trails. I rode a trail in Alabama last year that used to be fun on my hardtail but I got beat up so much I had to quit. Not sure if it's old age or just the trail became rockier.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4068 on: February 24, 2023, 07:06:46 AM »

Yeah, I don't need another bike either and I really don't need a fancy bike for the trails I ride. However I do plan on doing some MTB centric road trips in the near future so it would be nice to have a bike that could handle some of the rougher trails. I rode a trail in Alabama last year that used to be fun on my hardtail but I got beat up so much I had to quit. Not sure if it's old age or just the trail became rockier.

As I mentioned, I just recently bought DH a full suspension bike and it's made a huge difference for him. He really felt it when he was doing tough trails on the hardtail. Now his recovery from harder days is a lot less brutal. But he's out there for 8+ hours at a time, so I can imagine it makes a massive difference.

That said, there are tons of used full suspension bikes out there. I bought DH's for $800 during the pandemic when used bikes were rare and going for a premium.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4069 on: February 24, 2023, 07:15:49 AM »

As I mentioned, I just recently bought DH a full suspension bike and it's made a huge difference for him. He really felt it when he was doing tough trails on the hardtail. Now his recovery from harder days is a lot less brutal. But he's out there for 8+ hours at a time, so I can imagine it makes a massive difference.

That said, there are tons of used full suspension bikes out there. I bought DH's for $800 during the pandemic when used bikes were rare and going for a premium.
8 hours? Ouch. I've done a couple of rides like that and there's no amount of suspension that would help. 3 hours or 30 miles is my go to ride. I can do more but it becomes less fun/mile.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4070 on: February 24, 2023, 07:39:32 AM »

8 hours? Ouch. I've done a couple of rides like that and there's no amount of suspension that would help. 3 hours or 30 miles is my go to ride. I can do more but it becomes less fun/mile.

Yes, I'm married to an insane person. That's for sure. But still, my point is that you could upgrade to an inexpensive used full suspension and probably find a significant increase in comfort and ease.

Basically, you don't have to spend big money for a big upgrade if you're going from hardtail to full suspension.

That was actually the deal he and I made. He really wanted to upgrade to a particular expensive full suspension bike, but I talked him into trying an inexpensive full suspension first. No point in investing in this crazy ass bike if the full suspension isn't as amazing as expected. He could get a nice brand new hardtail for so much less.

So the $800, 20 year old used bike was just supposed to be a trial bike, but he absolutely fell in love with it. It was such an upgrade in riding experience, especially given his finicky knee, that he decided that that much of an upgrade was enough for him and he couldn't imagine that spending several times more would be that much better.

So we invested in some upgraded components and he's happy as can be. I just again asked him this year if he would want to upgrade to the new full suspension and he was like "shh...don't say things like that in front of her, just because she's old doesn't mean she isn't beautiful."

He seriously loves that bike.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4071 on: February 24, 2023, 01:02:52 PM »
a lemon tree - well any citrus plants.

I was in a greenhouse yesterday and they were selling potted citrus.  Beautiful photos of lemons and limes and grapefruits. Lots of blooms on the plants.  But alas, I live in the frozen north, without enough light most of the year.

I have 2 clementine trees.  Mind you they are about 15 cm tall, from seed, 2 years old.  Another 15 - 20 years and I may get some fruit.    ;=)

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4072 on: February 25, 2023, 05:40:56 AM »
Peace and Quiet.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4073 on: February 25, 2023, 11:46:57 AM »
Peace and Quiet.
+1!  I’ve got a 4 year old… you?

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4074 on: February 25, 2023, 01:15:51 PM »
Peace and Quiet.
+1!  I’ve got a 4 year old… you?

A 14 year old boy a 12 year old boy a 7 year old boy a 2 year old girl 6 tablets 5 tvs 3 computers and 2 neighbor kids who basically live at my house, lol.

Oh - also we live next to the train tracks.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4075 on: February 26, 2023, 01:02:41 PM »
Fiber internet. Came home at lunch the other day to find a competing brand ISP truck in the driveway. They are doing the engineering to bring fiber service to our rural "neighborhood".

Our DSL has been reliable of late but still pretty slow. It was an unreliable mess when we first moved here. Out for a week at a time. And my phone has always had 60 Hz hum 99% of the time.

Hopefully the new service will be affordable. Several friends have it and rave about it.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4076 on: February 26, 2023, 02:47:38 PM »
Fiber internet. Came home at lunch the other day to find a competing brand ISP truck in the driveway. They are doing the engineering to bring fiber service to our rural "neighborhood".

Our DSL has been reliable of late but still pretty slow. It was an unreliable mess when we first moved here. Out for a week at a time. And my phone has always had 60 Hz hum 99% of the time.

Hopefully the new service will be affordable. Several friends have it and rave about it.

The fiber was one of the SMARTEST things we've done.  We got it last year. Upgraded from Cox cable.  Cox was charging us $80 per month and AT&T only charges $55.31 and won't increase rates.  AT&T also gave us $200 gift card for signing up.  It's twice as fast as Cox on the downloads and about 30 times faster on the uploads.  360 mbps both up and down with AT&T fiber.  Check out att.com to see if it's available in your area?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #4077 on: February 26, 2023, 04:10:04 PM »

Funny how the DSL gets better when there's competition - they've been so slow to actually build the fiber network that I've noticed that our DSL has not had any issues for quite some time. Which is funny because I pre-ordered the fiber in 2020 as soon as I found out it was coming because the DSL was so bad in the preceding months.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4078 on: February 26, 2023, 07:42:21 PM »
Fiber internet.
We have been so happy with our fiber internet. We got it in 2016 and it has been absolutely rock solid. I can't remember having a single outage. 1 gig up and down but the stability has been even more impressive than the speed. Not looking forward to potentially having to switch to something else when we move.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #4079 on: February 27, 2023, 03:27:30 AM »
Ultralight backpacking gear....

Smartwool base layers....

A gravel/touring bike....

Why, oh why do these things have to be so expensive? :D

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4080 on: February 27, 2023, 01:14:05 PM »

The fiber was one of the SMARTEST things we've done.  We got it last year. Upgraded from Cox cable.  Cox was charging us $80 per month and AT&T only charges $55.31 and won't increase rates.  AT&T also gave us $200 gift card for signing up.  It's twice as fast as Cox on the downloads and about 30 times faster on the uploads.  360 mbps both up and down with AT&T fiber.  Check out att.com to see if it's available in your area?

We discussed it last night and we'll switch as soon as it is available. No ATT in our area.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #4081 on: February 27, 2023, 01:15:20 PM »

Have you tried used options? Not much of a used market here for those kinds of things but online maybe?

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4082 on: February 27, 2023, 06:38:48 PM »

15 minutes on the zPacks website is about enough to give a mustacian and stroke :) but the gear is oh so light.

I got one of their tents from their bargin bin by waiting patiently until the one I wanted came up. Makes every expensive tent I owned before seem heavy and small...

mountainmama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4083 on: February 27, 2023, 09:08:32 PM »

REI's 20% coupon for members sale is really helpful when you have your eye on something expensive. (Next one is March, probably?)

I tried out some of Smartwool's underwear the last time they had a sale and now I want a few more pairs!

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4084 on: February 28, 2023, 08:22:15 AM »

REI's 20% coupon for members sale is really helpful when you have your eye on something expensive. (Next one is March, probably?)

I tried out some of Smartwool's underwear the last time they had a sale and now I want a few more pairs!

I've been accumulating some wool baselayers myself recently; tried out one each from Icebreaker, Patagonia, and Smartwool.  The new prices are crazy high, but I've managed to grab them used for reasonable.  Biggest benefit to me over the synthetics is the smell resistance. 

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4085 on: February 28, 2023, 10:00:38 AM »

I've been accumulating some wool baselayers myself recently; tried out one each from Icebreaker, Patagonia, and Smartwool.  The new prices are crazy high, but I've managed to grab them used for reasonable.  Biggest benefit to me over the synthetics is the smell resistance.

Many years ago I bought a smart wool long sleeve base layer at REI. At the absurd price of $50 it seemed so expensive that I only wear it to sleep in when on extended trips. That shirt has been on six continents and survived dozens of smaller adventures.

Turtle

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #4086 on: February 28, 2023, 11:37:57 AM »

Pretty soon it will be winter clearance time for wool base layers from various companies.  I find wearing wool really helps for keeping the house at a cooler temperature.  WoolX runs specials all the time, so it pays to wait for those and to get on their mailing list for extra coupons.

For wool blends, warmth is definitely effected by the wool percentage, though.  The higher, the better.  For next to skin soft, Merino is better; but for outer layers other types of wool tend to pill less and be harder wearing.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4087 on: February 28, 2023, 11:56:35 AM »

Many years ago I bought a smart wool long sleeve base layer at REI. At the absurd price of $50 it seemed so expensive that I only wear it to sleep in when on extended trips. That shirt has been on six continents and survived dozens of smaller adventures.

I bought some Smartwool shirts that were on sale at REI a few years ago. I wore one of the shirts for an entire week including a sweaty bike ride and a trip to the gym. It never held any odors which I thought was pretty neat. I've since got several pairs of wool long underwear and socks. I was hoping the socks would be a solution to my cold feet but not so much. I also don't understand how wool will keep you warm when it's wet.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #4088 on: March 04, 2023, 10:27:38 AM »

[/quote]

[/quote]

I bought some Smartwool shirts that were on sale at REI a few years ago. I wore one of the shirts for an entire week including a sweaty bike ride and a trip to the gym. It never held any odors which I thought was pretty neat. I've since got several pairs of wool long underwear and socks. I was hoping the socks would be a solution to my cold feet but not so much. I also don't understand how wool will keep you warm when it's wet.
[/quote]

I have a wool cycling jersey I wore on a 5-day mountain bike trip, never got smelly.  It’s the most comfortable in extremes of heat and cold both, somehow. Seems like witchcraft, right?

I now own 2 more, and will probably give away the others.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4089 on: March 04, 2023, 02:17:52 PM »
I have a wool cycling jersey that shrank so small my wife can't wear it.  :P  It seemed nice while it was my size.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4090 on: March 06, 2023, 10:02:24 AM »

Did the demo ride this weekend and saved myself $6200. It was a nice bike but not transformative. There were some things on the bike I wish I could've changed like the tires and bar width but even with all that I doubt I would've purchased it. Funny thing though, as I was riding I was thinking the only way I would buy a bike like this is if there was an omen, like seeing an owl or something. Well last night on my dog walk I saw an owl.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4091 on: March 06, 2023, 10:12:12 AM »

Did the demo ride this weekend and saved myself $6200. It was a nice bike but not transformative. There were some things on the bike I wish I could've changed like the tires and bar width but even with all that I doubt I would've purchased it. Funny thing though, as I was riding I was thinking the only way I would buy a bike like this is if there was an omen, like seeing an owl or something. Well last night on my dog walk I saw an owl.

That was the "Owl of Wisdom" commending your wisdom of walking away from spending so much for a machine that you pedal. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4092 on: March 06, 2023, 10:59:57 AM »

Nice!

That was the "Owl of Wisdom" commending your wisdom of walking away from spending so much for a machine that you pedal.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4093 on: March 06, 2023, 04:59:18 PM »
I've been thinking for some time about replacing my hair brush.  It's 20+ years old, and the rubber handle is breaking down.  I just haven't been able to take the plunge on a new one.  I finally caved over the weekend, and I bought a new hairbrush for $3.99.  I made sure to avoid the ones with the rubber or gel handle that both cost more and will wear out faster...

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4094 on: March 06, 2023, 05:03:34 PM »
I've been thinking for some time about replacing my hair brush.  It's 20+ years old, and the rubber handle is breaking down.  I just haven't been able to take the plunge on a new one.  I finally caved over the weekend, and I bought a new hairbrush for $3.99.  I made sure to avoid the ones with the rubber or gel handle that both cost more and will wear out faster...

How is this stupid??

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4095 on: March 06, 2023, 05:55:26 PM »
I've been using the same wood handle, plastic bristle brush for 32 years.  At one point I thought it might need to be replaced as it was getting gross and sketchy looking after a couple decades of running it through hair gel . . . but it turns out a long hot water rinse fixed the issue.  :P

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4096 on: March 06, 2023, 06:06:11 PM »
I've been using the same wood handle, plastic bristle brush for 32 years.  At one point I thought it might need to be replaced as it was getting gross and sketchy looking after a couple decades of running it through hair gel . . . but it turns out a long hot water rinse fixed the issue.  :P

Yeah, my dad has long hair and he's daily used the same boar bristle brush he's had since he was a kid, so probably 70 years? He has fine hair though. My mom had a thick afro and she just destroyed brushes.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4097 on: March 06, 2023, 07:02:16 PM »
I haven't used a brush or a comb in about 10 years now.

If my hair ever gets long enough to comb it that's a sign I need to shave my head again.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4098 on: March 06, 2023, 09:59:20 PM »

If my hair ever gets long enough to comb it that's a sign I need to shave my head again.

I thought about shaving my head but the cost savings on home heating & wool hats outweighed the hairbrush amortization. </s>

I want to buy an imported Japanese spice blend I used to be able to pick up locally. I finally found it online but the shipping is usurious, so I’ve been stalling ... for two years. Damn my literal expensive tastes.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4099 on: March 07, 2023, 06:25:43 AM »

I thought about shaving my head but the cost savings on home heating & wool hats outweighed the hairbrush amortization. </s>

I want to buy an imported Japanese spice blend I used to be able to pick up locally. I finally found it online but the shipping is usurious, so I’ve been stalling ... for two years. Damn my literal expensive tastes.

lol.

Maybe shave isn't the word I am looking for here. I trim my hair short enough to not require combing, but long enough to not require sunscreen or hats.

There is an optimal length of hair for the best ROI with the lowest expense ratio for each person, and for me this is around 0.75 inches due to how thick my hair is.

I have spreadsheets tracking years of hair grooming expenses to arrive at this number. </s>