Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1323430 times)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #4000 on: January 10, 2023, 01:15:14 PM »
suppressed mp5, they are sweet. What does a mustachism hunting/ target shooting hobby look like?
Well, I don't know that I'd select an MP5 as my tool of choice for hunting, that's for sure!

Guns, especially those for hunting, are a rather mature technology.  So it's not hard or expensive to purchase a rifle or shotgun good enough that the operator is the limiting factor.  Certainly, if you want to spend more,* the sky's the limit, but plenty of people do just fine with a $700 Remington 700.

* I've never been hunting, but I *have* had the opportunity to try out a few precision rifles.  I'm no crack shot, but some of those rifles had me scratching my head
, thinking "gee, that was easy."

Shooting a hunting rifle is easy. Getting the deer to stand in the path of the bullet is what’s hard :-p

Deer tastes terrible anyway.  Moose is much better flavoured - a lot more like beef.

ChickenStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4001 on: January 10, 2023, 01:31:57 PM »
I've been getting the itch to start converting one of my existing project cars to an EV - it's mostly down for body work but the drivetrain has seen better days and needs a fair bit of work. A friend recently started converting an old go-kart with a blown engine as a test bed and eventually work up to converting a road legal car that can handle trips around town. We've been chatting about the research and build for a while and it looks like a lot of fun.

My intended project car would be on the heavy side so dealing with battery capacity and finding a suitable motor+controller would be challenging (expensive). There are more mass-produced EVs hitting the junk yards, though, so getting OEM parts to build from is getting easier all the time. 

I have a bunch of other projects I'd need to tackle first so I'm biding my time and keeping an eye on how my friend is doing so he can be the guinea pig. :)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4002 on: January 10, 2023, 04:30:49 PM »
Lust. But I don't think it's stupid.

Can't say more - too personal.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
« Reply #4003 on: January 10, 2023, 05:09:11 PM »
suppressed mp5, they are sweet. What does a mustachism hunting/ target shooting hobby look like?
bump stocks might be legal again.
appeals court.. blah blah blah.. sends the case back to lower court

effectively full auto for those bullet proof animals

FIREin2018

• Bristles
« Reply #4004 on: January 10, 2023, 05:12:12 PM »
Well, I don't know that I'd select an MP5 as my tool of choice for hunting, that's for sure!

Guns, especially those for hunting, are a rather mature technology.  So it's not hard or expensive to purchase a rifle or shotgun good enough that the operator is the limiting factor.  Certainly, if you want to spend more,* the sky's the limit, but plenty of people do just fine with a $700 Remington 700.

* I've never been hunting, but I *have* had the opportunity to try out a few precision rifles.  I'm no crack shot, but some of those rifles had me scratching my head

Shooting a hunting rifle is easy. Getting the deer to stand in the path of the bullet is what’s hard :-p

Deer tastes terrible anyway.  Moose is much better flavoured - a lot more like beef.
if you empty a mag from a mp5 into a moose, will it notice? :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4005 on: January 10, 2023, 07:14:06 PM »

if you empty a mag from a mp5 into a moose, will it notice? :)

A moose would notice . . . it would probably be irritated.  The native kids I went hunting with always used bolt action 30-06s for moose, and even then you really wanted to place the shot properly.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
« Reply #4006 on: January 11, 2023, 06:25:51 AM »
Appreciate the banter.  No need for an mp5 obviously.  Fun gun fact I learned though last year - 1950s grandpa's hand-me-down .06 rifle and scope is not comparable to a Tikka rifle with a Leupold scope & bipod. Not even the same universe of accuracy potential. Hopefully I can pass it down in 50 years with a "back in my day it was the best thing available and killed more elk than I can count stories"
so you can hit a quarter from 100 yards?
and the 2nd shot goes through the same hole?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4007 on: January 11, 2023, 12:15:48 PM »
I posted on here that I was dreaming of a stand up paddle board. Found a used one that turned out to be a fantastic purchase.

I posted on here that I was dreaming of a trip to Malta. I ended up going to Portugal on the cheap, and that turned out to be a great experience.

Posting here that I want a wedding. I'm tired of dating human definitions of mediocrity, and I'm tired of my mother asking when I'm getting married.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4008 on: January 11, 2023, 01:48:05 PM »
A wedding or a marriage? They are related but not the same. One could be defined as something stupid to lust for. The other I think is pretty justified. I guess it's up to you to figure out which is which.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4009 on: January 11, 2023, 04:17:35 PM »
A wedding or a marriage? They are related but not the same. One could be defined as something stupid to lust for. The other I think is pretty justified. I guess it's up to you to figure out which is which.

Marriages (at least good ones) aren't for sale. However, they come after weddings, which can be purchased at relatively low cost. I want both, but the one comes before the other.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4010 on: January 12, 2023, 09:13:22 AM »
I keep looking at the ads for the Almond Cow plant milk maker.  And I know that I have all the stuff, except for maybe the strainer bag, to make plant milk already.  But it looks so nice to be able to make it without such a mess.  Of course, there's no guarantee that my kid would eat homemade oat milk.  He just recently decided that it was an acceptable substitute for dairy milk so I don't want to push my luck.  But damn if it's not nearly double the price of almond milk which makes no sense to me at all since oats are cheaper than almonds.

EliteZags

• Bristles
« Reply #4011 on: January 12, 2023, 10:33:53 AM »
I want the best zoom camera on an Android phone.
I think that currently is the Samsung S22 Ultra.

(...)

With it's zoom, you can read a car's license plate 1/2 a block away.

It costs $1000+.

In three weeks they'll have the launch event for the Galaxy S23-Series. This time they will use Snapdragon in all models. European market only got the Exynos-processor, which are slower and more power hungry.

I am rocking a Galaxy Note9 with a broken display. While the stylus is cool, I don't need it. Looking for a smaller device, like the S22. Maybe I take the S22 if the discount is big enough. But maybe I'll wait until the S23 is affordable... The cracks in the display are almost not sharp at all...

My Note 8 (had since mid 2018) had been cracked for 3 years and while it's annoying, has worked flawlessly despite the issue. Having a thin film protector over it seems to have helped.

That being said, the software updates for it are no longer being made and my concern is data privacy/security at this point.

Dream would be a solid midrange phone with decent camera and good battery for ~$400 USD.

I bought my pixel 4a for $100 dollars used on ebay. This was the most expensive phone I have ever bought in my life.

I doubt it compares well to an s22, but compared to my galaxy s5 it is amazing.

The s22 would be amazing...I wonder how long before they are $100 dollars used on ebay.

I just ordered a used like new Galaxy S21 FE around $200 on Ebay, seemed like the best value android currently just a year old (comparable to Pixel6/Iphone13)

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #4012 on: January 12, 2023, 10:59:54 AM »

Marriages (at least good ones) aren't for sale. However, they come after weddings, which can be purchased at relatively low cost. I want both, but the one comes before the other.
If you can get to Seattle, I'll officiate for free. How's that for mustachian? Good luck finding someone who fits you well. It's a process, for sure.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4013 on: January 12, 2023, 12:56:19 PM »
I keep looking at the ads for the Almond Cow plant milk maker.  And I know that I have all the stuff, except for maybe the strainer bag, to make plant milk already.  But it looks so nice to be able to make it without such a mess.  Of course, there's no guarantee that my kid would eat homemade oat milk.  He just recently decided that it was an acceptable substitute for dairy milk so I don't want to push my luck.  But damn if it's not nearly double the price of almond milk which makes no sense to me at all since oats are cheaper than almonds.

Perhaps oats are harder to milk?

In all seriousness best of luck finding a good solution. The price of my favorite yogurt about doubled last year while the price of milk stayed the same... So I've learned to make Greek yogurt for myself. With some practice it's as good or better as the other original and 1/4 the price.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4014 on: January 13, 2023, 09:24:31 AM »

Perhaps oats are harder to milk?

In all seriousness best of luck finding a good solution. The price of my favorite yogurt about doubled last year while the price of milk stayed the same... So I've learned to make Greek yogurt for myself. With some practice it's as good or better as the other original and 1/4 the price.

Someone suggested that I just use a good blender and a French press.  I have a decent blender and found a French press in perfect condition at the thrift store for $4.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 09:26:13 AM by Sugaree »

bobble

• Bristles
« Reply #4015 on: January 15, 2023, 09:00:11 AM »
Adjustable dumbbells, pair, for ~$500.

I have started with bodyweight training but I'd like to try dumbbells as an easier way for the more targeted exercises. They are expensive though.

I don't see much on Facebook Marketplace. I should probably start cruising second-hand stores for pairs of cheap ones but that's not especially convenient (don't have/want a car and those stores are spread around the outskirts of towns around here.)

Options seem to be $800 for name-brand adjustable dumbbells, $450 for the same from autofitness.shop which looks kinda dodgy, or $250 for non-name-brand alternative locally. Or just stick with bodyweights.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4016 on: January 15, 2023, 09:21:34 AM »

I have started with bodyweight training but I'd like to try dumbbells as an easier way for the more targeted exercises. They are expensive though.

I don't see much on Facebook Marketplace. I should probably start cruising second-hand stores for pairs of cheap ones but that's not especially convenient (don't have/want a car and those stores are spread around the outskirts of towns around here.)

Options seem to be $800 for name-brand adjustable dumbbells, $450 for the same from autofitness.shop which looks kinda dodgy, or $250 for non-name-brand alternative locally. Or just stick with bodyweights.
Give it another month as people lose interest in their New Year's resolutions.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4017 on: January 15, 2023, 09:33:39 AM »

I imagine that someone could make some extra cash by buying up used treadmills from October to December, and selling them at a profit in January.  :)

bobble

• Bristles
« Reply #4018 on: January 15, 2023, 10:07:02 AM »

Is that really a thing though? Is there a glut of this equipment in second-hand stores and on Facebook Marketplace in the months following newyear?

I have heard this theory about other things, like camera equipment that people will buy new and then sell unused, but my experience is that the second-hand market is competitive and the prices high. I'm also concerned about quality e.g. the adjustable dumbbells seem like they don't tolerate being dropped well and it would suck to pick up damaged goods.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4019 on: January 16, 2023, 11:21:08 AM »

I've been using a set of PowerBlock Elite 90s (older style) for about...17 years?  They did sit idle for about 4 years in that span when I had convenient access to a work gym and I got on pseudo powerlifting kick (until the pandemic hit), but otherwise pretty consistent usage.  Exclusively using dumbbells does get pretty dull, but now I rotate workouts between dumbbells, bodyweight/TRX and heavy resistance bands.  Keeps things more interesting and my joints are happier than when I was slinging serious iron.

The PowerBlocks are certainly very high quality, and more compact, with more expandability than some of the competitors such as Bowflex.  I suppose there are different models that can't be expanded.  I had a cousin who used the Bowflex model for a couple of years.  Bowflex is a bit 'slicker' with weight changes, but the Powerblocks are quick enough for my taste.  Initially I didn't buy the stand, but it's far more convenient with the stand.  I did replace one of the selector pins recently when I noticed a crack initiating, but that is after well over a decade of use. 

Only other thing of note is that the geometry of the handle might restrict a few exercises, but I've never had much of an issue. 

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4020 on: January 17, 2023, 09:22:58 PM »
Is that really a thing though? Is there a glut of this equipment in second-hand stores and on Facebook Marketplace in the months following newyear? ...
I admit my knowledge sounds to be out of date. I asked someone who was more recently in the market who said the stream has run dry. It used to be a great way to pick up fitness-related anything from March to July as people bought more stuff through the year & then necessarily purged aspirational goods they weren't using to make space.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4021 on: January 18, 2023, 07:03:59 AM »

Well, he offered it to me for 300$ . . . so I have another guitar now.

:P

Turns out this wasn't a stupid lusting thing.  It's outstanding, I reach for it all the time while playing and I'm going to sell some other excellent guitars to justify keeping it.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #4022 on: January 29, 2023, 07:15:46 AM »
Well, he offered it to me for 300$ . . . so I have another guitar now.... I'm going to sell some other excellent guitars to justify keeping it.
Looks nice except they forgot to give you 2 frets :)  What's your stance on "how many guitars to own simultaneously"?  I've been sitting at 3 for quite a while.  For non guitar players, related to this thread topic the desire to always change guitars has its own acronym in the community: you get GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4023 on: January 29, 2023, 01:36:14 PM »
Well, he offered it to me for 300$ . . . so I have another guitar now.... I'm going to sell some other excellent guitars to justify keeping it.
Looks nice except they forgot to give you 2 frets :)

Can't get along with 24 fret guitars.  The neck pickup never sounds right in the position that it ends up being forced to - it loses that lovely roundness when you're playing up above the 12th fret.

What's your stance on "how many guitars to own simultaneously"?  I've been sitting at 3 for quite a while.  For non guitar players, related to this thread topic the desire to always change guitars has its own acronym in the community: you get GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome)

As few as you can get away with is best.  I've actually very leery about purchasing a new guitar because they tend to stick around for a long time for me.

Minimum two electric guitars if you're gigging - always want to have a backup.  I have also always had an acoustic of some sort, and I do all my songwriting on it.  I sometimes need to write/play bass parts on recordings so I picked up a bass guitar many years ago bringing the total to four.

But I have occasionally found great sounding instruments for really decent prices over the years, so all told I'm up to:
1 acoustic, 6 electrics (two need refrets because I've worn them out), 1 bass . . . a ridiculous number.  I think I know which of the electrics have to go, but I've got emotional attachments from time spent with the ones that need to be sold so have to work through that first.  :P

FIREin2018

• Bristles
« Reply #4024 on: February 05, 2023, 12:20:52 PM »

It costs $1000+.

I bought my pixel 4a for $100 dollars used on ebay. This was the most expensive phone I have ever bought in my life.

The s22 would be amazing...I wonder how long before they are $100 dollars used on ebay.

I just ordered a used like new Galaxy S21 FE around $200 on Ebay, seemed like the best value android currently just a year old (comparable to Pixel6/Iphone13)

ahh.. the s21fe has telephoto and 3x optical zoom.
so that's what i should be looking for in new phones if i want good zoom.

the most i've spent on a phone is $80 (Android 10).
i would be willing to spend $100 on a newish phone with telephoto and optical zoom.
but not $200...

rivendale

• Stubble
« Reply #4025 on: February 07, 2023, 03:38:19 PM »
A fancy "sport-specific" bag, like the patagonia cragsmith or a mountain hardware equivalent.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4026 on: February 07, 2023, 07:03:31 PM »

It costs $1000+.

ahh.. the s21fe has telephoto and 3x optical zoom.
so that's what i should be looking for in new phones if i want good zoom.

the most i've spent on a phone is $80 (Android 10).
i would be willing to spend $100 on a newish phone with telephoto and optical zoom.
but not $200...

s21 fe - wow. Nice....

I have found a surprising number of things to lust after by coming to this thread.

Only $200 dollars. It's only $100 dollars more than my last phone. I spent more money than that on a gaming console...hmmm...

mountainmama

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4027 on: February 08, 2023, 08:05:12 PM »
A fancy "sport-specific" bag, like the patagonia cragsmith or a mountain hardware equivalent.

I have so much gearlust. I could use a backpack style rope bag, too. The Mtn Hardware one looks sturdier. I probably just keep using the sling style one I have, though.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #4028 on: February 09, 2023, 08:34:11 AM »

I have so much gearlust. I could use a backpack style rope bag, too. The Mtn Hardware one looks sturdier. I probably just keep using the sling style one I have, though.

The first few years I had good earnings I went a bit nuts on gear. Fortunately all of my preferred activities were me powered so it wasn’t that much damage to the stash. A few years in a realized my pack kept getting heavier but the mountains weren’t really any prettier and shifted back towards my minimalist roots. I still have a bunch of “expensive” gear i rarely if ever use but hesitate to part with because it was expensive. I also have some expensive gear that bought for a specific adventure and have since I’ve used to often it was a bargain… sleeping bag, pad, liner, and back pack I’m using this week to visit Baja on the cheap we’re all bought in 2012 for my trip around the world. I proved on that trip that everything I need for a moderate climate adventure fits into a 42 L pack.

Buy the gear you really need but beware of all the shiny things you don’t. :)

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4029 on: February 10, 2023, 05:50:40 AM »
The $999 stainless steel tool chest @ Costco.
So organized, and so shiny!

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4030 on: February 10, 2023, 06:35:42 AM »
To lose weight, but never end up doing it. Spending extra money each month on groceries to support my added adiposity.  Heavy people burn more calories so they can eat more.. so remaining fat is very costly especially since groceries are our biggest expense followed by utilities, healthcare, then home.

I lust after food too much.  I need to break this.  It's hard.. dang insulin resistance makes those with metabolic issues hungry often.  But if I am determined I can overcome the insulin resistance and hunger and after a week or so things start to feel normal losing weight.  Wish me luck!  I've been trying hard lately.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 06:38:09 AM by JenniferW »

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4031 on: February 13, 2023, 09:21:05 AM »
Hmm...right now, there's nothing?  That's nice.  Sure, I have some idle "wants" - a nice camping hammock setup, a more modern mountain bike, a semi-dry suit, maybe an EV in about 3-3.5 years.  Nothing currently rises to the level of lust.  Hope that lasts. 

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4032 on: February 13, 2023, 11:12:22 AM »
I have a farm style kitchen with white cabinets and white appliances.  Just got a new white dishwasher.  The gas range still has a black door on it.. would be nice of it was all white and looked pretty.

Then I saw this on Amazon lol.  Wow so gorgeous. I have no idea bout the quality. I'd never pay this much for a gas range.. $600 is more my price.  But hey if I win the lotto I'd definitley get a pretty range like this one.

The only way I could possibly get this is if I could get it on a half of sale.. like 10 years from now after I got a lot saved.   But even then it's unnecessary.   I have no idea how well it'd hold up either.. I hate buying very expensive items which break down.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 11:15:08 AM by JenniferW »

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4033 on: February 13, 2023, 12:20:46 PM »
Gas ranges are terrible for indoor air quality and health

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4034 on: February 13, 2023, 12:36:35 PM »

I argue that non-gas ranges are worse.  Gas ranges have hoods that vent to the exterior.. mine does.  All the electric stoves I've used didn't.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4035 on: February 13, 2023, 12:55:51 PM »

I argue that non-gas ranges are worse.  Gas ranges have hoods that vent to the exterior.. mine does.  All the electric stoves I've used didn't.

The hood is completely separate from the stove.  You can buy and install any type of hood that you want for your cooking.

(We've had a good vented hood for our electric stove since we bought our house more than a decade ago.)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4036 on: February 13, 2023, 12:58:06 PM »
I will never use the crappy electric stoves again I bought this home specifically because it had gas.  The realtor ruled out all homes that did not have natural gas hookup.   Natural gas is more efficient than electric, so I am doing the environment better using it as well as doing a better job cooking my food with my various pots and pans I like to use -- many of which aren't even ferrous and non-compatible with the induction units.  I don't have issues with indoor air quality, I use a vent.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4037 on: February 13, 2023, 01:14:35 PM »
I would certainly not recommend crappy electric stoves.  Fortunately, there exist a great many good ones out there.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4038 on: February 13, 2023, 01:36:34 PM »

You would argue wrong. Better to burn no toxic gas and have no hood than to have a hood that vents most of the toxic gas. And like GuitarStv said, a hood is not a gas stove exclusive addition.

Anyway, a link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX2aZUav-54

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4039 on: February 13, 2023, 01:39:10 PM »
Natural gas is more efficient than electric, so I am doing the environment better [...]
This is absolutely false. So much energy from the gas escapes around the sides of your cookware. In addition, burning gas will always be dirty. Pure electric at least can come from clean renewable sources.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4040 on: February 13, 2023, 01:42:23 PM »
I would certainly not recommend crappy electric stoves.  Fortunately, there exist a great many good ones out there.

Agreed. And you don't need induction to get a good one. Technology Connections had an excellent (though long) video on his extras channel talking about his new conventional electric range and why he chose to replace his gas range with it (and not with induction). Induction is of course even better if all your cookware supports it, but it is also more expensive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUywI8YGy0Y

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4041 on: February 13, 2023, 01:54:37 PM »
I will never use the crappy electric stoves again I bought this home specifically because it had gas.  The realtor ruled out all homes that did not have natural gas hookup.   Natural gas is more efficient than electric, so I am doing the environment better using it as well as doing a better job cooking my food with my various pots and pans I like to use -- many of which aren't even ferrous and non-compatible with the induction units.  I don't have issues with indoor air quality, I use a vent.

You might not have a choice, aren't gas stoves in the process of being banned in a lot of US jurisdictions?

I'm not up on the latest, but it sure sounds like it's just a matter of time before we have the same ban here in Canada.

Also, your preference is your preference, but if governments are actively working on bans, which are guaranteed to be unpopular, then I would be inclined to think that the evidence supporting the problems is pretty damning.

So perhaps you don't perceive an air quality problem, or are cool with accepting an air quality problem, which is fine, a lot of people make trade offs that aren't perfectly air quality optimal, but I would look at the research before concluding that there is no trade off, when it sounds like the science says that there is.

Again, I'm not an expert, I just can't imagine a ban policy would be based on nothing, or that they would jump to ban if using a vent was enough to resolve the issue. They would just mandate vents.

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4042 on: February 13, 2023, 01:59:38 PM »
I don't even have a 220 hookup behind my stove, same with dryer.  It's all 110.  My electric main doesn't have a lot of capacity, this home was made to run off natural gas.

A gas furnace heats the home much more efficiently than an electric furnace.  Same with water heater as well as gas dryer.

Electric ranges still have heat that escapes the sides and it heats the entire surface of stove.  Induction is efficient I agree, heating only the pan.

Our electric company paid for attic insulation and weatherization of our home.. we didn't have to pay a penny. I asked why they are doing this and their reply is their power plant is at capacity and they don't want to have to build another power plant.  So I am guessing they are happy there are many homes still using natural gas here.  I am not sure how our local power plant is powered.. I don't think it is nuclear.. there's probaby a lot of emissions.   I know there is some wind in the network and perhaps solar as well I am not sure.  (Also I did an essay/report back in college English class about the dangerous of nuclear waste, how it's leaking out of containers and has a half life of like 24K years if I recall.)

I read plenty of reports that natural gas was more ecologically friendly because it was efficient.

I do make sure for small pots and kettles the flame is turned down so it only touches the bottom of the kettle/pot and not go around. If I have the flame too high.. it really heats up the sides a lot and the handle as well making it difficult to touch it.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 02:01:54 PM by JenniferW »

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4043 on: February 13, 2023, 02:04:23 PM »
The ban is on new construction in California.. that's about it from what I have heard.   There is no way they could enforce it to all those homes who aren't even setup for it.  Our local power plant couldn't support everyone switching to electric.

This zero emissions thing confuses me.. power plants burn fuel to turn those turbines.   More fuel than if you just piped the fuel to the home.. like mine is.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4044 on: February 13, 2023, 02:05:58 PM »
A gas furnace heats the home much more efficiently than an electric furnace.  Same with water heater as well as gas dryer.
But much less efficient than electric heat pump equivalents.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4045 on: February 14, 2023, 08:34:04 AM »
Natural gas is more efficient than electric, so I am doing the environment better [...]
This is absolutely false. So much energy from the gas escapes around the sides of your cookware. In addition, burning gas will always be dirty. Pure electric at least can come from clean renewable sources.

The "efficiency" of gas to heat is not from a scientific or engineering basis; it's a cost efficiency.  Cheaper per unit of energy than electricity, at least in most places.  Traditional electric furnaces are plenty energy efficient, comparable to gas - basically 100% of the energy is converted to heat.  Your specific setup will have some losses, and there will be other system losses, but that's the case with either source, so they're really comparable.  Now, with heat pumps, you're actually getting more energy than you consume, since you're moving energy around and not just burning things to generate heat, so they're far more efficient than electric furnaces or any type of fossil fuel. 

Plus, as noted, electrification gives the option to generate partly/mostly from sources that aren't emitting much carbon. 

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4046 on: February 14, 2023, 08:59:48 AM »
a lemon tree - well any citrus plants.

I was in a greenhouse yesterday and they were selling potted citrus.  Beautiful photos of lemons and limes and grapefruits. Lots of blooms on the plants.  But alas, I live in the frozen north, without enough light most of the year. 

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4047 on: February 14, 2023, 09:18:07 AM »

I was in a greenhouse yesterday and they were selling potted citrus.  Beautiful photos of lemons and limes and grapefruits. Lots of blooms on the plants.  But alas, I live in the frozen north, without enough light most of the year.

I live south of you (Pennsylvania) and have been nursing a lemon tree through our winters, bringing it inside with a light, etc, for over 3 years now. I do not recommend it, unless you have your own greenhouse. It does not grow well and is nowhere near producing fruit. While they are self-fertile, you do have to hand pollinate if it's indoors. It's not even a pretty tree most of the time.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #4048 on: February 14, 2023, 09:40:15 AM »

I live south of you (Pennsylvania) and have been nursing a lemon tree through our winters, bringing it inside with a light, etc, for over 3 years now. I do not recommend it, unless you have your own greenhouse. It does not grow well and is nowhere near producing fruit. While they are self-fertile, you do have to hand pollinate if it's indoors. It's not even a pretty tree most of the time.
Well that was good information.  Won't be thinking about it again until I have my own greenhouse. I also lust for my own greenhouse but it is not a stupid thing.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4049 on: February 14, 2023, 10:37:12 AM »

Well that was good information.  Won't be thinking about it again until I have my own greenhouse. I also lust for my own greenhouse but it is not a stupid thing.

I'm not sure about the cost comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if a grow room isn't more affordable than a small greenhouse.  Greenhouses are expensive to heat & cool, the sunlight is seasonal & unpredictable.  With high-efficiency LED lighting and good insulation, I think a grow room might be a good option.  It would be easier to set up and also to relocate if you move.
I'm not sure where to find cost comparison info, but I doubt it would be hard to find. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!