Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1317617 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3950 on: December 31, 2022, 08:02:07 AM »
A rugged power wheelchair/mobility scooter.

I have a manual one, and I only need it temporarily (knock on wood), and I have no place to store a power wheelchair, and I wouldn't be able to fit one in my car, so I have no real way to use it, and my manual wheelchair is DH-powered most of the time.

But man, it would be nice to just get out and about outside under my own power. I've been cooped up in isolation pre-surgery and I just want to be able to leave the house and move around.

So I have a million reasons not to spend 4 figures on a motorized mobility aide, but right now, today, with the weirdly mild weather outside, I really want one. And no, I don't have the ability to rent one briefly.

What I'll probably do instead is just go for a drive in my car, which is basically a big motorized mobility aide, lol.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3951 on: December 31, 2022, 12:33:52 PM »
Something like this?
https://notawheelchair.com

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3952 on: December 31, 2022, 03:51:12 PM »
Something like this?

Lol, yeah, that looks awesome.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3953 on: January 01, 2023, 04:52:42 PM »

I have a manual one, and I only need it temporarily (knock on wood), and I have no place to store a power wheelchair, and I wouldn't be able to fit one in my car, so I have no real way to use it, and my manual wheelchair is DH-powered most of the time.

But man, it would be nice to just get out and about outside under my own power. I've been cooped up in isolation pre-surgery and I just want to be able to leave the house and move around.

So I have a million reasons not to spend 4 figures on a motorized mobility aide, but right now, today, with the weirdly mild weather outside, I really want one. And no, I don't have the ability to rent one briefly.

What I'll probably do instead is just go for a drive in my car, which is basically a big motorized mobility aide, lol.
This sounds like exactly what medical equipment rentals are for.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3954 on: January 01, 2023, 05:13:23 PM »

This sounds like exactly what medical equipment rentals are for.

I already rented a manual folding chair. I have nowhere to store a larger automatic chair and no way to transport one. So manual chair it is. As I said though, my manual chair is DH powered, he pushed me for a nice long 5km outing today along the bike paths.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3956 on: January 01, 2023, 06:04:17 PM »
Something like this?

I’m imagining something more like this for you
https://exoskeletonreport.com/2019/12/guardian-xo-alpha-up-close-and-personal-with-the-sarcos-robotics-full-body-powered-exoskeleton/

Very cool, but that's for legs that need power. Mine have plenty of power, I *can* walk, heck I could run if I wanted to. My muscles and nerves work fine. The problem is that every time the legs move in the hip sockets, that tears more. I've got plenty of leg strength, I just can't move them at all without causing more damage.

I can actually walk perfectly fine unaided for about 5-10 steps at a time throughout the day. But if I so much as walk the length of a short hallway now, I'll pay for it for days and won't even be able to stand on the swelling because when they're swollen, the hips dislocate right out of their sockets and often pull the kneecaps right out with them and then I'm just fucked. Hence the wheelchair, because almost everything in this world is much, much further than 5-10 steps.

I do get a kick out of seeing people's faces when I hop up out of my wheelchair and walk unaided to my car door. Lol, as if no one can understand needing a wheelchair unless you're paralyzed.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3957 on: January 01, 2023, 06:26:45 PM »
Something like this?

I’m imagining something more like this for you
https://exoskeletonreport.com/2019/12/guardian-xo-alpha-up-close-and-personal-with-the-sarcos-robotics-full-body-powered-exoskeleton/

Very cool, but that's for legs that need power. Mine have plenty of power, I *can* walk, heck I could run if I wanted to. My muscles and nerves work fine. The problem is that every time the legs move in the hip sockets, that tears more. I've got plenty of leg strength, I just can't move them at all without causing more damage.

I can actually walk perfectly fine unaided for about 5-10 steps at a time throughout the day. But if I so much as walk the length of a short hallway now, I'll pay for it for days and won't even be able to stand on the swelling because when they're swollen, the hips dislocate right out of their sockets and often pull the kneecaps right out with them and then I'm just fucked. Hence the wheelchair, because almost everything in this world is much, much further than 5-10 steps.

I do get a kick out of seeing people's faces when I hop up out of my wheelchair and walk unaided to my car door. Lol, as if no one can understand needing a wheelchair unless you're paralyzed.
Ok, fine…

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3958 on: January 01, 2023, 06:41:42 PM »

Yeah, I am endlessly frustrated by people and places that are so black and white about accessibility. They just don't think about it with any level of complexity. Like there are two kinds of people in the world: quadriplegic and fully able! There is a very busy subway station in NYC that has an insane ramp with something like 12 turns and switchbacks to go from one floor to another - it is technically wheelchair accessible, but is absolutely hell on earth if you are (for example) struggling on crutches or using a walker.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3959 on: January 02, 2023, 06:08:24 AM »
Ok, fine…

That's more like it! I do periodically shave my head, I can totally rock that look.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3960 on: January 02, 2023, 06:31:50 AM »

Yeah, I am endlessly frustrated by people and places that are so black and white about accessibility. They just don't think about it with any level of complexity. Like there are two kinds of people in the world: quadriplegic and fully able! There is a very busy subway station in NYC that has an insane ramp with something like 12 turns and switchbacks to go from one floor to another - it is technically wheelchair accessible, but is absolutely hell on earth if you are (for example) struggling on crutches or using a walker.

Right!!! I've been on arm crutches for a year until I recently got bad enough to need the chair, but fuuuuuck me, it's hard to get around on crutches!

That said, I bought my crutches during the pandemic when there was a shortage. Everywhere was sold out, hospitals were begging people to donate crutches. The only pair I could find were the most expensive ones that are made. $300 each.

I had been lusting after them but couldn't really justify them for how brief I expected to use them. I didn't know at the time that my first surgery would be delayed by over a year or that I would need 6 surgeries, so it felt like a stupidly expensive purchase at the time, but turned out to be the best thing ever with how long I need them, especially since I got steadily worse and needed them more and more as time went on. And I'll continue to need them for the next several years.

They have shocks, all-terrain grips, lights, pads, and even horns! Best $600 I've ever spent in my entire life.

This isn't a thread about good purchases though. So I'll get the topic back on track.

Another thing I'm lusting over is a second car to leave at our second home. Our place is out in rural Newfoundland and it's a 31 hour drive to get there (including a 7hr ferry). Car rentals out there are very expensive and extremely hard to find, plus we stay there for months on end.

Granted, the drive out there is a lot of fun and we have a lot of family along the way to visit, whom we otherwise wouldn't see enough of because they're spread out along a 20hr stretch and it's hard to visit them all except on this particular drive where they're nearly perfectly lined up for stops along the way with minimal detours.

One of us flies with the animals and the other does a solo road trip. I personally prefer to drive, I absolutely love long solo road trips. So it works just fine as it is, but it would be nice to have the option to just both fly out. But that would involve owning, insuring, maintaining, and storing two cars, and other than this trip, we barely drive!

Totally unnecessary.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
« Reply #3961 on: January 03, 2023, 03:42:24 PM »
Always wanted a nice fountain pen:

But being a saver, could never justify the price.
The above is the Cross Bailey Fountain Pen on sale for $11.

Unfortunately, it's the only color so pass
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:20:41 PM by FIREin2018 »

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3962 on: January 04, 2023, 12:30:50 AM »

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #3963 on: January 04, 2023, 04:48:42 AM »
[specialized mountain bike pic]

oof I see that retails for $6300 new? Definitely face-punchable. I've never ridden a full suspension bike but I'm really curious. I've been riding a fuji hardtail for about eight years that I got for $300 off nashbar.

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #3964 on: January 04, 2023, 08:35:54 AM »
oof I see that retails for $6300 new? Definitely face-punchable. I've never ridden a full suspension bike but I'm really curious.

That depends entirely on the situation. Buying an expensive bike to cruise around and look cool while carrying high interest debt is face punchable.  On the flip side, it's money well spent for someone in the black who is using it to elevate their fitness level and emotional well being while engaging in an activity they love and enjoying the outdoors. 

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3965 on: January 04, 2023, 08:40:37 AM »

oof I see that retails for $6300 new? Definitely face-punchable. I've never ridden a full suspension bike but I'm really curious. I've been riding a fuji hardtail for about eight years that I got for $300 off nashbar.

Bikes are insanely expensive. I'm not sure where the dollars per fun lines cross anymore. I spent about $2k for my Specialized Chisel about 3 years ago and I've been mostly happy with it.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3966 on: January 04, 2023, 08:42:51 AM »
oof I see that retails for $6300 new? Definitely face-punchable. I've never ridden a full suspension bike but I'm really curious.

That depends entirely on the situation. Buying an expensive bike to cruise around and look cool while carrying high interest debt is face punchable.  On the flip side, it's money well spent for someone in the black who is using it to elevate their fitness level and emotional well being while engaging in an activity they love and enjoying the outdoors.
Is it though?
The 'MMM' question is always "can you get a similar result for substantially less money"?  To each their own when the purchase in question has a lot of positive outcomes, but from experience there are plenty of "almost as good" used bikes to be found for < 1/2 what this costs and which will provide similar fitness and fun levels.
just my 2¢...

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3967 on: January 04, 2023, 10:02:47 AM »

Is it though?
The 'MMM' question is always "can you get a similar result for substantially less money"?  To each their own when the purchase in question has a lot of positive outcomes, but from experience there are plenty of "almost as good" used bikes to be found for < 1/2 what this costs and which will provide similar fitness and fun levels.
just my 2¢...

Agreed.  I ride pretty frequently on a older (~10 years) FS bike purchased used.  Would I be able to eke more performance, and possibly more enjoyment out of a newer, fancy bike?  Probably.  Would that be worth paying 6 times as much?  MMM ethos, and my frugal instincts, say no. 

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3968 on: January 04, 2023, 10:17:21 AM »
Not lusting for much right now, but I'll add a minor one - Gloomhaven.  I bought my son Jaws of the Lion for his birthday, and we've been playing very frequently over the past 3 weeks.  Nice that he's finally old/mentally acute enough to handle a game this complex.  Unfortunately, we probably have only about 10 scenarios left, so I'm eyeing the full game(s).

Not stupid to want to spend another 100+ hours of quality time with my son.  However, feels stupid to be thinking about buying a $100 board game.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3969 on: January 04, 2023, 10:29:09 AM »
Not lusting for much right now, but I'll add a minor one - Gloomhaven.  I bought my son Jaws of the Lion for his birthday, and we've been playing very frequently over the past 3 weeks.  Nice that he's finally old/mentally acute enough to handle a game this complex.  Unfortunately, we probably have only about 10 scenarios left, so I'm eyeing the full game(s).

Not stupid to want to spend another 100+ hours of quality time with my son.  However, feels stupid to be thinking about buying a $100 board game.

I just got Jaws of the lion but haven’t dug into it yet - any tips on learning and teaching others how to play?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3970 on: January 04, 2023, 10:34:00 AM »
the cost of snowmobile registration and insurance...

Did not know that was even a thing. Around here ATVs are registration and insurance free - and off-road only. Some SxS vehicles can be registered and insured for limited uses.

I'd like to buy an electric XBUS and register it as a SxS type vehicle to get around import rules. Would be plenty of vehicle for me to run to the hardware store or to fetch a gallon of milk. Similar width as 60s VW van, shorter though. Similar safety.

Cool bike video. Would be a bear on the hills to pedal though...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3971 on: January 04, 2023, 10:34:42 AM »

$1 per hour of entertainment plus quality time is pretty darn good value

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3972 on: January 04, 2023, 03:05:43 PM »

I just got Jaws of the lion but haven’t dug into it yet - any tips on learning and teaching others how to play?

The game does a good job of teaching you the mechanics through the first 5 (tutorial) scenarios.  There is a lot of rules explanation that goes along with them, so I'd imagine it could be dull for anyone not committed to learning, but it's worth it to go through them methodically.  There will still be holes in your knowledge, but mostly you can look up your occasional questions from that point on. 

Haven't taught anyone how to play yet, but hoping to add my wife to my playgroup at some point!  Daughter (10 yo) is likely still too young to really grasp/enjoy the intricate strategy required, but proud of my 12 yo son for really getting into it and understanding most of what's going on.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3973 on: January 04, 2023, 03:07:41 PM »

Yeah, I agree, which made me pretty hesitant to put this as a "stupid" thing to lust after.  Seems crazy on the surface to buy a game for that much, but now that we're pretty sure we'll enjoy it and stick with it, it should totally be worth it.  Just want to find a decent sale at this point.

Bartlebooth

• Stubble
« Reply #3974 on: January 04, 2023, 04:02:46 PM »
Dyson Lightcycle or CSYS desklamp, the one with the slick sliding mechanisms.  $500 for a desklamp... but it looks so cool and seems like it would be super high quality.  I have splurged on a Dyson vacuum and hair dryer in the past--they are very good items so I don't really regret the high spend but I know it wasn't necessary.

Maybe I will save up a few hundred $ of birthday/Christmas money and cover the rest personally.  I've been wanting one for probably three years now.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3975 on: January 04, 2023, 07:27:45 PM »

Yes, definitely face-punchable. Still might be worth doing. I’ve had a full suspension bike for 14 years. It was $3,800 new and has been worth every penny. I am big, and I learned early on in my mountain biking that I wear out lower end components (bottom bracket, crank, derailleurs, chains/cogs, even headset)  within a season. Higher end components (Shimano XT / XTR or equivalent) last years. In the case of this bike, I haven’t had to replace any components, just do some front and rear suspension rebuilds.

That said, it’s aging and creaky and needs some attention. New fork:  $1,000. Rear suspension rebuild: $750.  New chain/cogs/chainrings: $250. New wheels:  $1,000. And that’s all work I would do myself. So, $3,000 for a bike that will still be a 14 year old design with a 14 year old frame? Everything breaks eventually, and I don’t want to be pounding down a trail and have my frame let go - it’s happened to two people I was riding with, so it’s not like it’s some rare, abstract thing.

So yeah, I’m thinking of getting a $6,300 bike. Seems totally crazy. But DW just said yes. I guess that’s one of the benefits of being FI and SWAMI - if you want the really expensive bike, you can get it… after thinking it over and analyzing it for 3 years or so…

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3976 on: January 05, 2023, 03:07:09 AM »

Yes, definitely face-punchable. Still might be worth doing. I’ve had a full suspension bike for 14 years. It was $3,800 new and has been worth every penny. I am big, and I learned early on in my mountain biking that I wear out lower end components (bottom bracket, crank, derailleurs, chains/cogs, even headset)  within a season. Higher end components (Shimano XT / XTR or equivalent) last years. In the case of this bike, I haven’t had to replace any components, just do some front and rear suspension rebuilds.

That said, it’s aging and creaky and needs some attention. New fork:  $1,000. Rear suspension rebuild: $750.  New chain/cogs/chainrings: $250. New wheels:  $1,000. And that’s all work I would do myself. So, $3,000 for a bike that will still be a 14 year old design with a 14 year old frame? Everything breaks eventually, and I don’t want to be pounding down a trail and have my frame let go - it’s happened to two people I was riding with, so it’s not like it’s some rare, abstract thing.

So yeah, I’m thinking of getting a $6,300 bike. Seems totally crazy. But DW just said yes. I guess that’s one of the benefits of being FI and SWAMI - if you want the really expensive bike, you can get it… after thinking it over and analyzing it for 3 years or so…

Nice bike in the pic. I snagged a 2022 Trek Fuel EX8 XT for full MSRP + Tax ($4,300) a year ago and have been riding with a shit eating grin ever since. Right now I'm overbiked in Florida, but it was quite the ripper for the trails up in NY for most of 2022. Expect to get at least 5-10 years of heavy use out of it before needing to do more than replace wearable parts.

Are these friends of yours with frame failures on carbon bikes? It could be that over the years frames developed fractures and cracks that went unnoticed and finally cracked. Aluminum frames cracking from "age" is not really a thing. Aluminum can certainly fail in a crash, but a bike being 14 years old doesn't have too much to do with it.

Ride in good health!!

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3977 on: January 05, 2023, 04:53:01 AM »

I bought DH's full suspension bike for about $800 last year. He absolutely loves it. It's old, and has needed a bit of TLC, but he loves it. It took me a year to find one used in his size, but that was also during the pandemic, so bikes were hard to find in general.

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3978 on: January 05, 2023, 07:32:10 AM »

I had a (full suspension) Santa Cruz Tallboy back in ~2015 and it was one of the first things I ditched in my MMM quest to be FI.  I also had a hardtail (and a road bike, and a cyclocross bike) at the time, and decided that I would only be on a hardtail for the forseeable future.  I'm not trying to shame you or anything, I just found that a full suspension bike, while it makes me faster both uphill and downhill, adds very little to the ride experience for me. 

I've got a Specialized Chisel right now that I have no issues with riding in Pisgah, and even after riding for 20+ years on a mountain bike, the bike itself is not the limiter to my riding happiness.  So anyways, I guess just think about the motivations that you have to buy this $6300 bike.  Are you actually just comparing yourself to others, or do you think it will genuinely make you happy?  Because when I think about when I was happiest riding a bike, it wasn't when I had the Santa Cruz, it was riding a rigid singlespeed that I cobbled up out of spare parts while I was in college and had a ton of time to ride. 

Just my 2c

weebs

• Stubble
« Reply #3979 on: January 05, 2023, 08:57:06 AM »

I hear you.  I'm not a big dude (160 lbs), but I spend a lot of time in the saddle and tend to wear out and/or break drivetrain components in particular.  I've done the used bike thing and spent spending way more than I wanted to replace/upgrade worn components within a year of the purchase.  I would have been better off just buying a new bike.  On the other hand, we decided to upgrade my prior dual suspension bike (Specialized Stumpjumper) instead of purchasing a new bike for my wife.  We upgraded the drivetrain to a modern Sram 1X setup and replaced the wheels and tires. She doesn't ride as much or as hard as I do, so she's perfectly happy with that bike.  Mountain biking isn't just a hobby for me, it's my passion and an effective form of therapy.  Coupled with the fact that we're also FI SWAMIs, I have no problem spending 4-6K on a mountain bike that meets my requirements.  That being said, I don't roll into the bike shop in May and pay full retail for a new ride.  I buy the current model year sometime in the early fall for a 20-30% discount after the next model year has been released.  I keep bikes for 7-10 years, maintaining and overhauling as needed.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3980 on: January 05, 2023, 10:00:42 AM »
A 2002 Avalon in perfect condition with 24k
$7500
My classy old man car phase

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3981 on: January 05, 2023, 11:40:43 AM »

Are these friends of yours with frame failures on carbon bikes? It could be that over the years frames developed fractures and cracks that went unnoticed and finally cracked. Aluminum frames cracking from "age" is not really a thing. Aluminum can certainly fail in a crash, but a bike being 14 years old doesn't have too much to do with it.

Both were aluminum frames. One was an early Gary Fisher 29er. He was big, and it was either a crash or at least contact between the rear triangle (full suspension) and a rock. The other was a downturn separation from the head tube. He was a little guy (150 lbs). He had had the bike for a while. Dropped off a big root and the whole front end separated. He ended up just running out of it - very lucky. It totally messed up his attempt to get our regular loop in record time, though!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3982 on: January 05, 2023, 03:22:34 PM »
I want nice chainsaw pants. I have chainsaw chaps, but pants would just be so much nicer over a day of rolling trail work clearing logs. But, decent chainsaw pants are $250-400/pair depending on what you get.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3983 on: January 05, 2023, 04:11:09 PM »
I want a commercial washer-extractor machine. Something like this: https://unimac.com/product/washer-extractors/uw-series-high-performance-hardmount-washer-extractor/45lb-capacity/

I also want another room added to my house to put it in.

FIREin2018

• Bristles
  • I did decide to Fire in 2018 @Age47! :)
« Reply #3984 on: January 06, 2023, 05:30:23 PM »
I want the best zoom camera on an Android phone.
I think that currently is the Samsung S22 Ultra.

With it's zoom, you can read a car's license plate 1/2 a block away.

It costs $1000+.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #3985 on: January 09, 2023, 02:04:45 AM »

(...)

It costs $1000+.

In three weeks they'll have the launch event for the Galaxy S23-Series. This time they will use Snapdragon in all models. European market only got the Exynos-processor, which are slower and more power hungry.

I am rocking a Galaxy Note9 with a broken display. While the stylus is cool, I don't need it. Looking for a smaller device, like the S22. Maybe I take the S22 if the discount is big enough. But maybe I'll wait until the S23 is affordable... The cracks in the display are almost not sharp at all...

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3986 on: January 09, 2023, 04:06:50 AM »

(...)

It costs $1000+.

In three weeks they'll have the launch event for the Galaxy S23-Series. This time they will use Snapdragon in all models. European market only got the Exynos-processor, which are slower and more power hungry.

I am rocking a Galaxy Note9 with a broken display. While the stylus is cool, I don't need it. Looking for a smaller device, like the S22. Maybe I take the S22 if the discount is big enough. But maybe I'll wait until the S23 is affordable... The cracks in the display are almost not sharp at all...

My Note 8 (had since mid 2018) had been cracked for 3 years and while it's annoying, has worked flawlessly despite the issue. Having a thin film protector over it seems to have helped.

That being said, the software updates for it are no longer being made and my concern is data privacy/security at this point.

Dream would be a solid midrange phone with decent camera and good battery for ~$400 USD.

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #3987 on: January 09, 2023, 05:38:04 AM »
@2Birds1Stone you can get a Google Pixel 7 for 469 EUR and a Pixel 6A for 259 EUR, new.

For under $400 you definitely get something more modern than a Note 8.

TreeLeaf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3988 on: January 09, 2023, 05:47:51 AM »

(...)

It costs $1000+.

My Note 8 (had since mid 2018) had been cracked for 3 years and while it's annoying, has worked flawlessly despite the issue. Having a thin film protector over it seems to have helped.

That being said, the software updates for it are no longer being made and my concern is data privacy/security at this point.

Dream would be a solid midrange phone with decent camera and good battery for ~$400 USD.

I bought my pixel 4a for $100 dollars used on ebay. This was the most expensive phone I have ever bought in my life.

I doubt it compares well to an s22, but compared to my galaxy s5 it is amazing.

The s22 would be amazing...I wonder how long before they are $100 dollars used on ebay.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3989 on: January 09, 2023, 06:40:06 AM »
An adjustable hospital bed.

My king size, tempurpedic bed that I'm heading to today seems like a big step down right now compared to my cozy hospital bed.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3990 on: January 09, 2023, 08:09:51 AM »
@2Birds1Stone you can get a Google Pixel 7 for 469 EUR and a Pixel 6A for 259 EUR, new.

For under $400 you definitely get something more modern than a Note 8.

Pixel 7 issue
https://www.androidcentral.com/phones/pixel-7-series-users-notice-broken-camera-glass

Personally what tipped me over the edge to avoid a Pixel was the reports of them failing to call 911...
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/y039zn/i_compiled_all_the_pixel_911emergency_call/

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3991 on: January 09, 2023, 10:28:38 AM »

Yeah, I agree, which made me pretty hesitant to put this as a "stupid" thing to lust after.  Seems crazy on the surface to buy a game for that much, but now that we're pretty sure we'll enjoy it and stick with it, it should totally be worth it.  Just want to find a decent sale at this point.

Well, I caved already and bought Gloomhaven, but it probably helped that I never really thought it was a stupid thing to buy for us.  I did manage to buy a pristine used game off of ebay.  $65 shipped, and the purchase included four organizer tackle boxes that people normally buy for ~$30.  Plus, the previous owner had already organized everything, probably saving me a couple of hours.  They evidently played two scenarios (just two stickers used) and that was all they could handle.

Son and I are almost done with JotL, so looking forward to playing it soon.  Started working on my daughter and wife to teach them the rules...we'll see.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3992 on: January 09, 2023, 12:55:19 PM »
I take back what I said.

Now that I'm home and in my ultra cushy tempurpedic bed, it's so cozy and squishy that my poor mangled leg doesn't need angle adjustments as much. I'm more comfortable here at home than I was in the super adjustable hospital bed.

I could not tolerate lying flat in that bed, but here, it feels like a soft, supportive hug.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3993 on: January 09, 2023, 01:03:16 PM »
Nice, always love to hear things going better than expected! Glad you are more comfortable.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #3994 on: January 09, 2023, 07:51:17 PM »
I take back what I said.

Now that I'm home and in my ultra cushy tempurpedic bed, it's so cozy and squishy that my poor mangled leg doesn't need angle adjustments as much. I'm more comfortable here at home than I was in the super adjustable hospital bed.

I could not tolerate lying flat in that bed, but here, it feels like a soft, supportive hug.
Not to derail, but how did the operation go?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3995 on: January 09, 2023, 07:53:07 PM »
I take back what I said.

I wrote a bunch of updates in my journal if you want the details.

Ups and downs, mostly excellent with some very hard parts.

CatamaranSailor

• Stubble
« Reply #3996 on: January 09, 2023, 07:56:35 PM »
I take back what I said.

I wrote a bunch of updates in my journal if you want the details.

Ups and downs, mostly excellent with some very hard parts.

Will do! :)

rothwem

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3997 on: January 10, 2023, 06:58:39 AM »
suppressed mp5, they are sweet. What does a mustachism hunting/ target shooting hobby look like?

haha, I don't think it looks like that.  Most of the hunters I know are actually really frugal, and their kit is generally some kind of American-made autoloader shotgun for birds and some kind of American-made bolt action rifle for deer.  They probably spend more on the hunting lease than their equipment.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3998 on: January 10, 2023, 09:46:36 AM »
suppressed mp5, they are sweet. What does a mustachism hunting/ target shooting hobby look like?
Well, I don't know that I'd select an MP5 as my tool of choice for hunting, that's for sure!

Guns, especially those for hunting, are a rather mature technology.  So it's not hard or expensive to purchase a rifle or shotgun good enough that the operator is the limiting factor.  Certainly, if you want to spend more,* the sky's the limit, but plenty of people do just fine with a $700 Remington 700.

* I've never been hunting, but I *have* had the opportunity to try out a few precision rifles.  I'm no crack shot, but some of those rifles had me scratching my head, thinking "gee, that was easy."

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3999 on: January 10, 2023, 09:56:51 AM »
Well, I don't know that I'd select an MP5 as my tool of choice for hunting, that's for sure!

Guns, especially those for hunting, are a rather mature technology.  So it's not hard or expensive to purchase a rifle or shotgun good enough that the operator is the limiting factor.  Certainly, if you want to spend more,* the sky's the limit, but plenty of people do just fine with a $700 Remington 700.

* I've never been hunting, but I *have* had the opportunity to try out a few precision rifles.  I'm no crack shot, but some of those rifles had me scratching my head
, thinking "gee, that was easy."

Shooting a hunting rifle is easy. Getting the deer to stand in the path of the bullet is what’s hard :-p

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!