Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1297293 times)

ricelife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3600 on: June 12, 2022, 08:50:47 PM »
Trip to hawaii

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3601 on: June 14, 2022, 07:42:28 PM »
An ice cream maker. Thankfully, the Seattle weather is currently on the side of my wallet.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3602 on: June 14, 2022, 07:51:57 PM »

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3604 on: June 14, 2022, 08:50:53 PM »
I need another new guitar like a hole in my head . . . but c'mon . . . it's pretty, and reasonably priced . . .

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3605 on: June 14, 2022, 08:53:23 PM »
I need another new guitar like a hole in my head . . .

To be fair, if you didn't have a hole in your head you'd be unable to eat or breathe.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3606 on: June 15, 2022, 01:45:03 AM »

To be fair, if you didn't have a hole in your head you'd be unable to eat or breathe.
Could you still play the guitar?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3607 on: June 15, 2022, 07:09:39 AM »

So we're agreed then . . . I need the new guitar to live?

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3608 on: June 15, 2022, 08:07:25 AM »
An ice cream maker. Thankfully, the Seattle weather is currently on the side of my wallet.

A lot of people are complaining about the cool weather this spring in Western WA, but I must say that I'm thrilled to be comfortably in the 60s so far this year (and throughout the rest of June if long-range predictions hold).  Looking at what most of the rest of the country is dealing with...no thanks.  We moved here right during the big 'heat dome' event last year, and I'll take this weather over that, or frankly anywhere else in the country right now.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3609 on: June 15, 2022, 08:28:52 AM »

So we're agreed then . . . I need the new guitar to live?

I'm just here to report the science! If that's how much you need that guitar, then I guess so.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3610 on: June 15, 2022, 10:07:29 AM »
My current lust, which has been on the radar for about 9 months, is a nice camping hammock.  Right now, the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, or possibly the Blackbird.  Never done it, but keep thinking it might be fun, and help enable possible backpacking or kayak-camping trips (for which I don't have much gear right now).

Hard to even judge the various options, though.  Single-layer or dual-layer?  Rain tarp?  Underquilt vs pad? Type of suspension?  I guess it's good because then I have paralysis by analysis and don't waste my money.

ca-rn

• Stubble
« Reply #3611 on: June 15, 2022, 10:52:27 AM »
Right now by obsession is an electric bicycle- specifically a compact front loading one.  But I don't think its a stupid lust since it will enable me to use my car even less BUT since we do not have safe separated bicycle infrastructure, I don't know how much of a car killer it will be. 

The ebikes I'm looking at are made in Germany so that adds complexity since its illegal to ship an ebike overseas (battery) and expensive- about 5k.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3612 on: June 15, 2022, 11:09:28 AM »
Right now by obsession is an electric bicycle- specifically a compact front loading one.  But I don't think its a stupid lust since it will enable me to use my car even less BUT since we do not have safe separated bicycle infrastructure, I don't know how much of a car killer it will be. 

The ebikes I'm looking at are made in Germany so that adds complexity since its illegal to ship an ebike overseas (battery) and expensive- about 5k.

Whether or not an ebike is a car-killer depends a lot on your will to make it happen.  Sure, there are situations where it's just not feasible for your current situation (e.g. 50 miles commute with no public transit options, rural area with long distances on 55+ mph roads without alternatives), though many people can change their current situation. 

I killed off my car with an ebike in the Los Angeles area.  Almost no bike infrastructure where I rode regularly.  I wouldn't have thought it possible before I purchased, but as I committed to it I found more and more ways to make it work.  Took me 3 years to fully ditch the car; the first several months I still needed the car to cart kids home from day care, but after that point I was driving 500 miles or fewer per year.  This is with a second car that my wife drove, and we used for trips with family, but for my personal use (which included nearly all family errands and grocery shopping), the ebike took over...because I wanted it to.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3613 on: June 15, 2022, 04:13:00 PM »
Surely someone else has made this joke somewhere in the 70-plus pages of this thread, but...

A man.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3614 on: June 15, 2022, 04:20:12 PM »
But I don't think its a stupid lust since it will enable me to use my car even less BUT since we do not have safe separated bicycle infrastructure, I don't know how much of a car killer it will be.

Car killing with e-bikes? You're really taking this war-on-cars thing seriously. Good for you!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3615 on: June 15, 2022, 04:29:17 PM »

Whether or not an ebike is a car-killer depends a lot on your will to make it happen.  Sure, there are situations where it's just not feasible for your current situation (e.g. 50 miles commute with no public transit options, rural area with long distances on 55+ mph roads without alternatives), though many people can change their current situation. 

I killed off my car with an ebike in the Los Angeles area.  Almost no bike infrastructure where I rode regularly.  I wouldn't have thought it possible before I purchased, but as I committed to it I found more and more ways to make it work.  Took me 3 years to fully ditch the car; the first several months I still needed the car to cart kids home from day care, but after that point I was driving 500 miles or fewer per year.  This is with a second car that my wife drove, and we used for trips with family, but for my personal use (which included nearly all family errands and grocery shopping), the ebike took over...because I wanted it to.
I am a native of SoCal. I spent over a decade in LA, so I recognize how much dedication and determination this goal required. Your MMM Badass Badge is on the way.  Well done, you!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3616 on: June 15, 2022, 04:36:14 PM »
Surely someone else has made this joke somewhere in the 70-plus pages of this thread, but...

A man.
Commenting to offer a few words of encouragement. I didn't marry Mr. Dicey until I was 54. We're approaching our 10-year anniversary and it was worth every second of the wait ;-)

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3617 on: June 16, 2022, 06:31:28 AM »

A man.
Commenting to offer a few words of encouragement. I didn't marry Mr. Dicey until I was 54. We're approaching our 10-year anniversary and it was worth every second of the wait ;-)

I'm not sure I want to be encouraged! 😂 I'd be like the dog who caught the car if someone suitable appeared.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 06:33:52 AM by sadiesortsitout »

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3618 on: June 16, 2022, 06:49:08 AM »

You don't need a lot of bike infrastructure to enjoy riding a bike. I spent a summer working in LA and literally found it *easier* to ride a bike instead of drive there despite LA's reputation for being a kind of bike hostile place.   

I currently live in pretty much the polar opposite now- a very rural area with absolutely zero bike infrastructure and the majority of my commute on a 55mph road with no paved shoulders. I still make it work and enjoy it. All my neighbors are used to my bullshit now and give me a wide berth. Except for one dude who seems really upset about me riding my bike. But at least I know he won't accidentally hit me from not seeing me because he always makes a point of flooring the gas and honking his horn as he buzzes me. Party on, dude. :D   

It's also maybe possible to do an e cargo bike for less than $5k, but I'm not qualified to comment on ebikes nor one to really talk when it comes to fiscal austerity in anything bike related. 

Askel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3619 on: June 16, 2022, 06:54:39 AM »

A man.

We're kind of high maintenance and expensive.  Maybe you want to look for cheaper alternatives? ;) 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3620 on: June 16, 2022, 07:00:07 AM »

A man.

We're kind of high maintenance and expensive.  Maybe you want to look for cheaper alternatives? ;)

The fact that nobody is telling you that men aren't stupid things feels like it's revealing a fundamental truth.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3621 on: June 16, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »

A man.

I'm not sure I want to be encouraged! 😂 I'd be like the dog who caught the car if someone suitable appeared.
But if it happens, it could be a beautiful thing. Ya never know.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3622 on: June 16, 2022, 08:48:09 AM »

A man.

But if it happens, it could be a beautiful thing. Ya never know.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3623 on: June 16, 2022, 09:00:40 AM »

A man.
A stupid man is not hard to find, but hard to avoid.

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3624 on: June 16, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »
The fact that nobody is telling you that men aren't stupid things feels like it's revealing a fundamental truth.

I read it as referring more to the stupidity of the lusting than the objects thereof!

Humans can be smart, but rarely about each other!

I don't think it pays to skimp in this department. It's like buying power tools, you want "cry once."

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3625 on: June 16, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
I have a love hate relationship with the dollar store. I love shopping there (it makes me feel rich because I can do a bunch of frivolous shopping, and it's like $29. But a bunch of made in China stuff).

I tried buying a cheap pair of headphones at DG for $7. Worse than useless. WM had some for $1. Passable. Now emergency backup headphones. My preferred earbuds of 20 years (~$20 when new) were accidentally left at home. 

Buying things that don't last or even pretend to work is maddening to me. We do shop at DG occasionally otherwise. I am suspicious of their prices. Sometimes the smaller quantities seem like false economy but in 2022 when a trip across town is a $4-$5 addition to the cost of shopping at Aldi or Kroger or Food Lion - DG is fine with us for small trips or that random snack that we want to offer our teenager and friends when they come for a movie night.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3626 on: June 16, 2022, 03:00:17 PM »

A man.

This seems appropriate to leave here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGuj2eG2ExQ

DrinkCoffeeStackMoney

• Stubble
« Reply #3627 on: June 16, 2022, 03:37:54 PM »

As insane as this work week has been what I'm lusting after is a small cottage in the woods, on one acre of land, surrounded by a 12' tall stone wall, and a moat full of sharks.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3628 on: June 16, 2022, 07:08:03 PM »

A man.

This seems appropriate to leave here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGuj2eG2ExQ

THAT.IS.AWESOME. Thank you for sharing!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3629 on: June 16, 2022, 10:13:49 PM »

A man.

Loved it, thanks @sonofsven!

Not Sure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3630 on: June 16, 2022, 11:30:26 PM »
My current lust, which has been on the radar for about 9 months, is a nice camping hammock.  Right now, the Warbonnet Ridgerunner, or possibly the Blackbird.  Never done it, but keep thinking it might be fun, and help enable possible backpacking or kayak-camping trips (for which I don't have much gear right now).

Hard to even judge the various options, though.  Single-layer or dual-layer?  Rain tarp?  Underquilt vs pad? Type of suspension?  I guess it's good because then I have paralysis by analysis and don't waste my money.

Underquilt all the way.  The hammock itself is the cheap part. ;-)

I justify the cost of our camping gear by using it often and saving on lodging.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3631 on: June 17, 2022, 08:45:23 AM »

A man.

Credit where it's due, to @Just Joe

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3632 on: June 17, 2022, 10:23:01 AM »

A man.

Ha, I even made an extra effort to figure out who had said that. Thanks to both of you.;-)

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3633 on: June 17, 2022, 10:59:28 AM »

A man.

Ha, I even made an extra effort to figure out who had said that. Thanks to both of you.;-)

This all brought back memories of my first serious BF after high school.  A Bostonian from the wrong side of the tracks rather than a country boy but otherwise, yep that's the bullet I dodged.  He didn't have a mullet - I don't think they existed 50 years ago.  I lusted after him as only a 19 year old can.    <sigh>

getsorted

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3634 on: June 17, 2022, 11:55:11 AM »

Shared immediately with a group of hometown gal pals, followed by a round of "did you hear who's in prison now"?

Money Saver 1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3635 on: June 20, 2022, 04:01:59 AM »
A piece of privacy and thats something only money can buy.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #3636 on: June 20, 2022, 04:43:16 AM »

Ah yes I try and convince myself of this often. For some reason I scrutinize and agonize about buying THINGS so closely, but don't bat an eye paying hundreds of dollars for lodging.

Speaking of I'm lusting after the Zpacks Duplex XL. I already have the regular duplex and it'll last me many more nights. But the headroom!

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3637 on: June 20, 2022, 06:00:44 AM »

Ah yes I try and convince myself of this often. For some reason I scrutinize and agonize about buying THINGS so closely, but don't bat an eye paying hundreds of dollars for lodging.

Speaking of I'm lusting after the Zpacks Duplex XL. I already have the regular duplex and it'll last me many more nights. But the headroom!

being 6'-5" it's on my list. i just watched a review of it yesterday and a guy 6'-2" fit in it well

dhc

• Stubble
« Reply #3638 on: June 21, 2022, 07:19:25 PM »
My latest is a raspberry pi 4, which normally wouldn’t be too stupid, but is currently in such short supply that the only way to get one from a reliable source seems to be to but a full kit including lots of parts I don’t really need or want.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3639 on: June 24, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »
Today I discovered a kit car that I did not know existed. It is a replica Austin Healey automobile from the 1960’s.

My quick perusal of recent sales shows these things go for between $15-$20,000. That a price point I can easily manage. I love those old 60s English  convertibles, but I don’t want the headache of maintaining an old one.

I’m even moving to a small town that probably has a garage fairly easy to rent for it, assuming I don’t get rid of anything in our fleet.

I also love the old Nash Metropolitans, but There are no modern replicas of these, andvcompletely rebuilt ones with reliable parts seem to be hovering around $30,000+.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 05:33:58 AM by iris lily »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #3640 on: June 24, 2022, 10:57:41 AM »
Equal rights under the law. Silly me.

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3641 on: June 24, 2022, 11:07:40 AM »
Today I discovered a kit car that I did not know existed. It is a replica Austin Healey automobile from the 1960’s.

My quick perusal of recent sales shows these things go for between $15-$20,000. That a price point I can easily manage. I love those old 60s English  convertibles, but I don’t want the headache of maintaining an old one.

I’m even moving to a small town that probably has a garage fairly easy to rent for it, assuming I don’t get rid of anything in our fleet.

I also love the old Nash Metropolitans, but There are no modern replicas of us, and completely rebuilt ones with reliable parts seem to be hovering around $30,000+.

I will definitely not be letting my DH know aoub the replica  Austin Healeys.

When I was a small child in the 50s I told my mom I wanted a "little car" from Santa.  She's thinking, "Great, happy child, cheap gift".  Then I excitedly pointed at a Metropolitan on the road as my "little car".  No surprise I didn't get one for Christmas.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3642 on: June 24, 2022, 11:28:44 AM »

I also love the old Nash Metropolitans, but There are no modern replicas of us, and completely rebuilt ones with reliable parts seem to be hovering around $30,000+.

I will definitely not be letting my DH know aoub the replica  Austin Healeys.

When I was a small child in the 50s I told my mom I wanted a "little car" from Santa.  She's thinking, "Great, happy child, cheap gift".  Then I excitedly pointed at a Metropolitan on the road as my "little car".  No surprise I didn't get one for Christmas.

Awww I love that Metropolitan Nash story!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3643 on: June 24, 2022, 01:12:47 PM »
same same

pasadenafr

• Bristles
« Reply #3644 on: June 24, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »

Came here to say this.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #3645 on: June 27, 2022, 03:15:23 PM »
did somebody say lake house? lake house for me too :) no luck buying the primary residence we want right now, so we've decided to distract ourselves by talking about the lakefront we'll go in on with all our friends one day. hehe

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3646 on: June 27, 2022, 09:50:52 PM »
did somebody say lake house? lake house for me too :) no luck buying the primary residence we want right now, so we've decided to distract ourselves by talking about the lakefront we'll go in on with all our friends one day. hehe

Living on the water is a worthy goal.  It's usually expensive, but hard to call it stupid.  There's so much to enjoy seeing and doing when living on water. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3647 on: June 28, 2022, 06:15:53 AM »

Living on the water is a worthy goal.  It's usually expensive, but hard to call it stupid.  There's so much to enjoy seeing and doing when living on water.

I just bought a very cheap house on the ocean. Being by the water doesn't have to be expensive, just don't by near the most desirable water locations.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3648 on: June 28, 2022, 07:25:39 AM »

I just bought a very cheap house on the ocean. Being by the water doesn't have to be expensive, just don't by near the most desirable water locations.

And remember to plan on the ocean rise that is certainly baked into humanities future.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3649 on: June 28, 2022, 09:17:16 AM »
i want to quit
i have been pretty miserable for the last 6-9 months when i was put in different role