Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1288456 times)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3400 on: January 12, 2022, 02:39:16 AM »
Thanks for the advice - I will definitely be practicing a lot for sure. 
I am also not in any great rush given its winter and I am a newbie... maybe by spring / summer I will be ready.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3401 on: January 12, 2022, 07:00:05 AM »
NYT Cooking subscription. I almost never cook from recipes anymore, but the ones that are highlighted in The Morning newsletter often intrigue me enough to click. Bam - paywall. Sigh.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3402 on: January 12, 2022, 07:45:10 AM »
Thanks for the advice - I will definitely be practicing a lot for sure. 
I am also not in any great rush given its winter and I am a newbie... maybe by spring / summer I will be ready.

Get as much riding time as you can out on country roads, away from the city traffic.  If you close enough, go riding in the mountains.  That's the most fun you'll have while gaining experience.  If you buy a "dual-sport" trail riding is a really good way to gain riding skills, while getting you away from traffic and enjoying nature.  Off-road riding teaches you a lot of riding skills that you can't learn on pavement.  Dual-sports are usually smaller sized & lighter weight than most street bikes.  They have an upright seating position which improves handling & provides the best visibility of traffic & obstacles.   

It's great that you've signed up for lessons.  They'll teach you a lot of important riding skills, and more importantly will teach you to stay alert at all times about "reading" the traffic around you. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3403 on: January 12, 2022, 08:09:58 AM »
My dad was riding his motorbike (which he loved and had been riding for close to 15 years at that point) one rainy day when his front brakes failed and he slid through a stop sign.  He was hit by a transport truck, thrown about 30 ft into a ditch and his right leg was completely crushed below the knee.  He was taken to hospital where the leg was amputated.  The doctor mis-wrote a prescription for morphine, so a few weeks later when the mistake was corrected Dad went through some pretty traumatic withdrawal coupled with dealing with the emotional loss of his limb.

Riding a motorbike gives you all the protection of being on a bicycle, but at the speeds of a car.  It just takes one small slip or mistake to permentantly alter your life.  Be very careful.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3404 on: January 12, 2022, 08:33:52 AM »
I think @Zola. lives in rural-ish part of UK or outside a town or smaller city with irregular/bad public transport. Speeds in the UK on A/B/C roads is much less than their US equivalents. And vehicles are generally smaller. However, B roads at off-peak times are known for use by enthusiasts for short distance sprints to test latest modifications. And be careful in that rain that persists all over Blighty.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3405 on: January 12, 2022, 09:30:33 AM »
Nail polish.  I have a lot of nail polish.  I had over 150 but culled the lot to less than a hundred but have added some.  the issue is that new amazing finishes come out all the time. Magnetic, multi-chrome, holo, flakey, multi-chrome flakey, magnetic holo flakey !!!!  I hardly leave the house so no one but me sees my polished nails, which are pretty short, and no one cares, but I love nail polish so much!

(Before you say it, no I will never be able to wear all the polishes I have, but I still love them and regretted it so much when I got rid of some.  Btw, if anyone ever comes across the Dance Legend Burgundian Sky from Russia that was discontinued, let me know!)

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #3406 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:47 AM »
My dad was riding his motorbike (which he loved and had been riding for close to 15 years at that point) one rainy day when his front brakes failed and he slid through a stop sign.  He was hit by a transport truck, thrown about 30 ft into a ditch and his right leg was completely crushed below the knee.  He was taken to hospital where the leg was amputated.  The doctor mis-wrote a prescription for morphine, so a few weeks later when the mistake was corrected Dad went through some pretty traumatic withdrawal coupled with dealing with the emotional loss of his limb.

Riding a motorbike gives you all the protection of being on a bicycle, but at the speeds of a car.  It just takes one small slip or mistake to permentantly alter your life.  Be very careful.

Really sorry to hear that.. yes bikes can be very dangerous, but I view it more or less as the same as a bicycle in levels of danger, when compared for my use case. I the rider control what speed I go at. The last thing I would want to do is ride irresponsibly, especially now I have young children.
Also I would be the ultimate fair weather rider most likely, would work from home if it was overly rainy or poor conditions. Not that I couldn't be caught out in it though...

I think @Zola. lives in rural-ish part of UK or outside a town or smaller city with irregular/bad public transport. Speeds in the UK on A/B/C roads is much less than their US equivalents. And vehicles are generally smaller. However, B roads at off-peak times are known for use by enthusiasts for short distance sprints to test latest modifications. And be careful in that rain that persists all over Blighty.

Thats correct - I live just outside a small city. There are buses available but they stop every 100 yards, and go all around the city before dropping me where I ultimately need to be. Takes forever. 50 mins for a 3 mile commute.

In our city, bicycles and motorcycles can use the bus lanes, which helps greatly. I already cycle to work in more normal times, which involves a pleasant cycle to work and a really grueling up hill cycle home, that I have grown weary of.

The motorcycle would be used 2/3 times a week for that mainly, and maybe the occasional ride if I really took to it.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:55:21 AM by Zola. »

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #3407 on: January 12, 2022, 09:59:42 AM »

Really sorry to hear that.. yes bikes can be very dangerous, but I view it more or less as the same as a bicycle in levels of danger, when compared for my use case. I the rider control what speed I go at. The last thing I would want to do is ride irresponsibly, especially now I have young children.
Also I would be the ultimate fair weather rider most likely, would work from home if it was overly rainy or poor conditions. Not that I couldn't be caught out in it though...

Thats correct - I live just outside a small city. There are buses available but they stop every 100 yards, and go all around the city before dropping me where I ultimately need to be. Takes forever. 50 mins for a 3 mile commute.

In our city, bicycles and motorcycles can use the bus lanes, which helps greatly. I already cycle to work in more normal times, which involves a pleasant cycle to work and a really grueling up hill cycle home, that I have grown weary of.

The motorcycle would be used 2/3 times a week for that mainly, and maybe the occasional ride if I really took to it.
I'll also add: full face helmet every single time. The statistics on where collisions occur on the heads of motorcyclists make a compelling case for them. Protective jacket and pants are also worthwhile. Above ankle boots are good too. My ambulance ride started 2 blocks from my front door. No ride is too short for the gear.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3408 on: January 12, 2022, 10:05:07 AM »

I'll also add: full face helmet every single time. The statistics on where collisions occur on the heads of motorcyclists make a compelling case for them. Protective jacket and pants are also worthwhile. Above ankle boots are good too. My ambulance ride started 2 blocks from my front door. No ride is too short for the gear.

FWIW - for several years after his accident, my dad would have argued strongly for no helmet use at all.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3409 on: January 12, 2022, 10:09:26 AM »
I rode a motorcycle from my 18th birthday until I got married at 28, then just bought another bike this past summer at 33. I really feel that I am a much more defensive driver when I am used to riding a motorcycle, even when driving my car.

Most importantly, ATGATT (all the gear, all the time), whether you're going around the neighborhood or through rush-hour traffic.

FWIW - for several years after his accident, my dad would have argued strongly for no helmet use at all.

My father and uncle (who live in a state that doesn't require helmets) argue the same. They say that they would rather die in an accident than be paralyzed/seriously injured.

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3410 on: January 12, 2022, 10:29:13 AM »

Yes, full face helmet x 100000000000!

I used to ride a Kawasaki Versys. Went out riding in the "country" one day and went down going around a left hander at about 45 mph. Left knee and head took the brunt of the impact; I have no recollection of the wreck at all. Best we can figure is lost traction on loose gravel in the road. The entire left side of my helmet was scraped away from the chin to forehead level including the eye shield. Anything besides a full face helmet and this would be a much different story.

I had good gloves and jacket with padding in shoulders and elbows; unfortunately on bottom I just had regular blue jeans. Tore open my knee; took 4 months to rehab before I could return to work and wound got infected. If I'd had even inexpensive riding pants with a little padding in the knees I would've been back to normal in about a week.

I don't say any of that to scare anyone out of riding; it can be great fun and I have no regrets but I like to point out what can happen as that was on the minor end of motorcycle accidents. Gear up every time.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #3411 on: January 12, 2022, 10:40:39 AM »
Thanks for all the tips! I have a full face helmet right now, I did hevay research into getting the best one possible. I also have gloves and boots. Acquiring gear as we speak. I will buy the jacket and pants once I pass my tests, which could be several months away!  I am taking my training very seriously and I am not in any rush at all.

I have also heard that you will ride defensively as a biker and that makes you a better car driver. I have noticed I am more aware of certain things even after one half day of bike lessons.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3412 on: January 12, 2022, 11:00:34 AM »
I keep thinking that I'd like one of those Slingshot "autocycles" to drive back and forth to work, but they're kind of pricy.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3413 on: January 12, 2022, 10:48:00 PM »
A treehouse. With solar power. And rain water collection. And a wood stove. Is that more like a cabin?

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #3414 on: January 13, 2022, 03:27:12 AM »
A ski apartment in the Alps. Not a good move financially as I'll use it 6-8 weeks a year (currently) but something I see myself retiring to in the future for the entire ski season.

DeniseNJ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3415 on: January 13, 2022, 07:25:06 AM »
A treehouse. With solar power. And rain water collection. And a wood stove. Is that more like a cabin?

If you put a composting toilet in it you could rent it out. :)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3416 on: January 13, 2022, 07:33:40 AM »

If you put a composting toilet in it you could rent it out. :)

No need for a composting toilet as long as there's a branch that your bum can hang over.

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3417 on: January 13, 2022, 08:28:07 AM »
I went down an ebike rabbit hole on Youtube last night; now want a Radrunner 2 ha.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3418 on: January 13, 2022, 08:38:24 AM »
I went down an ebike rabbit hole on Youtube last night; now want a Radrunner 2 ha.

I saw a Sur Ron e dirt bike on vacation and did the same thing (rabbit hole).
Yeah, not getting one. But fun rabbiting.

bobble

• Bristles
« Reply #3419 on: January 13, 2022, 08:54:44 AM »
Second-hand sleeping bag. Filled with 2kg of 850-down. Warm enough for Mt Everest. $350.

... but I am not going to Mount Everest any time soon and even in the deepest local Swedish winter I'd be okay with either two cheaper down bags used together or a big synthetic that we already have.

So: not buying.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #3420 on: January 13, 2022, 10:49:57 AM »
2021 Suzuki V-Strom 650XT Adventure motorcycle. Also considering some other ones but this one is at the top of the list.

I want to ride and camp my face off. Be something like $11,5000 out the door. o_O

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3421 on: January 13, 2022, 11:42:04 AM »
2021 Suzuki V-Strom 650XT Adventure motorcycle. Also considering some other ones but this one is at the top of the list.

I want to ride and camp my face off. Be something like $11,5000 out the door. o_O

I love that category of bikes; they're comfortable and fun to ride. What others would you consider?

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3422 on: January 13, 2022, 11:51:35 AM »

I saw a Sur Ron e dirt bike on vacation and did the same thing (rabbit hole).
Yeah, not getting one. But fun rabbiting.

There are two places that rent eBikes a few miles from my house. I'm trying to decide if that would scratch the itch or make me want one even more ha.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3423 on: January 13, 2022, 12:01:07 PM »
New hockey skates. I have a pair of brand A that are on its last legs and lasted a long time, a pair of brand B that are basically new and in great condition (and purchased for a price that I basically stole them), but doesn't fit quite right, and another pair of brand A that were manufactured right before their bankruptcy and are almost new but already having issues.

So my options are repair the first pair of brand A and get another season out of them, maybe, use brand B that will hurt my feet, or repair the second pair of brand A knowing that it will likely happen again (have had a few issues with these)... Or buy new skates. And I'm looking at Custom skates. Which cost $1,000, or a month of reffing.

I don't need them. I want them. But I don't need them...

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3424 on: January 13, 2022, 12:25:27 PM »
New hockey skates. I have a pair of brand A that are on its last legs and lasted a long time, a pair of brand B that are basically new and in great condition (and purchased for a price that I basically stole them), but doesn't fit quite right, and another pair of brand A that were manufactured right before their bankruptcy and are almost new but already having issues.

So my options are repair the first pair of brand A and get another season out of them, maybe, use brand B that will hurt my feet, or repair the second pair of brand A knowing that it will likely happen again (have had a few issues with these)... Or buy new skates. And I'm looking at Custom skates. Which cost $1,000, or a month of reffing.

Could you not sell the brand B, and new brand As as they sound like they're both in really good condition? Not worth it to me to use skates that just don't fit... What kind of repairs would be needed on your current skates to get another season out of them?

Sounds like custom skates would be worth it for as much skating as you seem to do; if a month of your side hustle will cover the cost almost a no-brainer. I'd love custom skates but only play once a week now so my current skates are more than good enough.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #3425 on: January 13, 2022, 12:33:44 PM »

I love that category of bikes; they're comfortable and fun to ride. What others would you consider?

I've been learning all that I can about a few bikes. The Yamaha Tenere 700 is the most "wanted" one for me. It just does everything. The new Kawasaki KLR650 is great and you cannot beat he price (nothing else price wise comes close, it's in it's own category) but it's not going to be very happy on long highway runs being a single cylinder 650. The 650 V-Strom fits my needs probably the best when I consider my offroad/onroad riding but it's a heavy bike. I've read it's like 530lbs fully kitted out before you put any of your gear on it. That's nuts.

650 V-Strom XT Adventure $10,500 - Needs almost nothing. Has luggage etc... Heavy
Tenere 700 $10,400 - Comes with no luggage or armor, needs a good bit to travel with. Amazing bike, not the heaviest but also no light. Awesome engine but most expensive for my range of spending.
KLR 650 Adventure $7,700 - Comes with everything needed. Only single cylinder bike on list, only 5 speed gearbox, will do highway but not gonna be happy for long long trips.

Virtus3

• Stubble
« Reply #3426 on: January 13, 2022, 01:00:42 PM »

I've been learning all that I can about a few bikes. The Yamaha Tenere 700 is the most "wanted" one for me. It just does everything. The new Kawasaki KLR650 is great and you cannot beat he price (nothing else price wise comes close, it's in it's own category) but it's not going to be very happy on long highway runs being a single cylinder 650. The 650 V-Strom fits my needs probably the best when I consider my offroad/onroad riding but it's a heavy bike. I've read it's like 530lbs fully kitted out before you put any of your gear on it. That's nuts.

650 V-Strom XT Adventure $10,500 - Needs almost nothing. Has luggage etc... Heavy
Tenere 700 $10,400 - Comes with no luggage or armor, needs a good bit to travel with. Amazing bike, not the heaviest but also no light. Awesome engine but most expensive for my range of spending.
KLR 650 Adventure $7,700 - Comes with everything needed. Only single cylinder bike on list, only 5 speed gearbox, will do highway but not gonna be happy for long long trips.

I used to have a Versys. That may be an option that would land somewhere between the V-Strom and KLR.

hdatontodo

• Bristles
« Reply #3427 on: January 13, 2022, 03:03:01 PM »

I used to have a Versys. That may be an option that would land somewhere between the V-Strom and KLR.

(I hope I trimmed the thread quote properly)

I rode a Versys 650cc 1,000 miles from MD to Gatlinburg, TN and back in a day. I had made numerous adjustments to the riding position.

It was less comfortable than my Electra Glide :)

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3428 on: January 14, 2022, 07:41:24 AM »

Buying a new one is the "stupidest" part of wanting the bike.  Lightly used bikes are the way to go.  Since the 650 V-Strom is such a practical bike It'll probably be harder to find one with super low mileage, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one with under 20,000 miles for a good price if you're patient.

The flea market on ADVrider.com is a good place to watch for one.  [size=78%]https://www.advrider.com/f/forums/bikes.52/[/size]
I've bought and sold few bikes there over the years. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3429 on: January 14, 2022, 08:39:17 AM »

Could you not sell the brand B, and new brand As as they sound like they're both in really good condition? Not worth it to me to use skates that just don't fit... What kind of repairs would be needed on your current skates to get another season out of them?

Sounds like custom skates would be worth it for as much skating as you seem to do; if a month of your side hustle will cover the cost almost a no-brainer. I'd love custom skates but only play once a week now so my current skates are more than good enough.

Current skates need an eyelet repair. Two to be replaced, and one to be resewn as it is torn. It is disappointing. I've had this brand (Graf) for probably 18 of the last 21 years. Since my feet more or less stopped growing, I had one pair for 8 years, and another (the referenced ones on their last legs) for 7 years. The current pair didn't even last a year. Just utterly disappointing.

As for selling the other skates (CCM), I could, but I'd only get maybe $150 out of them. Those are the skates I play in nowadays, for the few times I do play. It is much easier for me to just have completely separate ref and playing gear.

Oh well. At least they're a tax writeoff.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 10:28:15 AM by mtn »

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #3430 on: January 14, 2022, 10:33:11 AM »

Buying a new one is the "stupidest" part of wanting the bike.  Lightly used bikes are the way to go.  Since the 650 V-Strom is such a practical bike It'll probably be harder to find one with super low mileage, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find one with under 20,000 miles for a good price if you're patient.

The flea market on ADVrider.com is a good place to watch for one.  [size=78%]https://www.advrider.com/f/forums/bikes.52/[/size]

I would normally be 100% on board with this, and what I usually do. I love used stuff! But there are NONE on the market within hundreds of hundreds of miles from me. Not a single bike that meets my needs used and I've been looking several times a week for a few months now using different sites and apps.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3431 on: January 14, 2022, 10:43:20 AM »

I would normally be 100% on board with this, and what I usually do. I love used stuff! But there are NONE on the market within hundreds of hundreds of miles from me. Not a single bike that meets my needs used and I've been looking several times a week for a few months now using different sites and apps.

Shoot, there's like 15 on craigslist in OR/WA, send me the money and I'll buy you one ;-)

I rode a 1981 r80 g/s from '91 to '12, miss it, but oh well. Riding became too dangerous to me.

AlexK

• Bristles
« Reply #3432 on: January 14, 2022, 12:05:32 PM »
The Yamaha Tenere 700 is the most "wanted" one for me.

I have two friends with this bike and they both love them. They had 250cc dual sports before. In September we did the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route, about 1200 miles of mostly easy off road riding but some highway as well. I was driving the support Jeep because I only have a small dual sport. What a great trip. I made a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzqwcOk1V_s

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3433 on: January 17, 2022, 09:05:36 AM »
i'm thinking about getting a coffee roaster. i've roasted my own coffee before and it was fun until the machine broke. $500 seems like a lot of money for a small appliance.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3434 on: January 17, 2022, 09:10:47 AM »
I want a new guitar amp.

I've got two amps that sound great and suit my purposes already . . . but I feel a little guilty every time those tubes start sucking power, so I want a solid state amp to replace it (particularly for home practice).  The solid state amps I've had in the past haven't sounded as good though, which is why I got rid of them, but the latest crop seem to be better.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3435 on: January 17, 2022, 09:52:02 AM »
I want a new guitar amp.

I've got two amps that sound great and suit my purposes already . . . but I feel a little guilty every time those tubes start sucking power, so I want a solid state amp to replace it (particularly for home practice).  The solid state amps I've had in the past haven't sounded as good though, which is why I got rid of them, but the latest crop seem to be better.
uhhh.... a  A 15-20W tube amp, which is plenty loud enough for home use and usually good enough to sound good, has about the power draw of a running a 40W light bulb. I'd put the $$ elsewhere unless you just really want a new amp... in which case I'd go with new pedals. Solid state amps are much better than they used to be if you want the tube sound... but still don't replace an actual tube.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3436 on: January 17, 2022, 09:58:27 AM »
i'm thinking about getting a coffee roaster. i've roasted my own coffee before and it was fun until the machine broke. $500 seems like a lot of money for a small appliance.

Same, but first a good burr grinder (Baratza Encore). Signed up for a coffee subscription service and cannot drink anything from Panera/Starbucks/Dunkin/etc. But want a grinder since I use French Press primarily, but sometimes a Moka, hence grind fresh accordingly.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3437 on: January 17, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »
I want a new guitar amp.

uhhh.... a  A 15-20W tube amp, which is plenty loud enough for home use and usually good enough to sound good, has about the power draw of a running a 40W light bulb. I'd put the $$ elsewhere unless you just really want a new amp... in which case I'd go with new pedals. Solid state amps are much better than they used to be if you want the tube sound... but still don't replace an actual tube.

The tube amp that I use most of the time is rated at 50 watts, but (according to the kill-a-watt) pulls about 70 watts from the wall at idle and just under 150 watts at full power (although this is somewhat louder than acceptable for home use).  Which . . . actually isn't all that much now that I think about it I suppose.  It just seems really power hungry - the heat off the tubes will noticeably warm the whole basement in winter!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3438 on: January 17, 2022, 10:40:14 AM »
I want a new guitar amp.

The tube amp that I use most of the time is rated at 50 watts, but (according to the kill-a-watt) pulls about 70 watts from the wall at idle and just under 150 watts at full power (although this is somewhat louder than acceptable for home use).  Which . . . actually isn't all that much now that I think about it I suppose.  It just seems really power hungry - the heat off the tubes will noticeably warm the whole basement in winter!
Yeah, amps are a bit more visceral than a lightbulb, but you have to get into some heavy equipment before it is a big power draw. In the winter, it is just "free" heat anyways!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3439 on: January 17, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »
I'm lusting after quite a few furniture and technology upgrades in the home.

We're planning to get a new dining room table and chairs in the next few weeks, budgeting $1,000 for everything. I'm also planning to replace my office desk and chair, as well as get a second monitor. After two years of working from home, I'm finally going to do it all. The desk is going to cost $250 (building it from a butcher's block), and I hope to get the second monitor for $100. The chair is where things get hairy. Why are office chairs so damn expensive? I can't even find a decent used chair for under $400.

C-note

• Stubble
« Reply #3440 on: January 17, 2022, 05:05:44 PM »
F1 Paddock Club Passes.

First choice is Silverstone.  Second choice is Canadian Grand Prix.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3441 on: January 17, 2022, 05:39:35 PM »

We're planning to get a new dining room table and chairs in the next few weeks, budgeting $1,000 for everything. I'm also planning to replace my office desk and chair, as well as get a second monitor. After two years of working from home, I'm finally going to do it all. The desk is going to cost $250 (building it from a butcher's block), and I hope to get the second monitor for $100. The chair is where things get hairy. Why are office chairs so damn expensive? I can't even find a decent used chair for under $400.

I got this one from IKEA about 5 years ago. Very comfortable and holding up well.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/millberget-swivel-chair-murum-dark-brown-80489402/

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3442 on: January 18, 2022, 05:52:39 AM »

I got this one from IKEA about 5 years ago. Very comfortable and holding up well.

Thanks, I'm already getting the desk parts from Ikea. I don't know why I didn't think to look at their desk chairs.

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3443 on: January 18, 2022, 10:18:24 AM »

Thanks, I'm already getting the desk parts from Ikea. I don't know why I didn't think to look at their desk chairs.
This may belong in the DIY section, but I made my own home office pandemic desk too. I got a motorized standing desk leg set off of amazon from ~$180. I then cut out an approximately 2x4 ft piece of 3/4 inch hardwood plywood, routed the edges smooth and finished it with a wood dye and polyurethane. This could easily be adapted to pretty much any size of desk and it is very sturdy feeling. It took maybe half a days work to build spread over two days. The ability to stand up during Teams calls, etc is really nice. If you don't have a table saw, you can get sheet plywood cut to size at most of the lumber stores and big box shops.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3444 on: January 18, 2022, 10:41:31 AM »

This may belong in the DIY section, but I made my own home office pandemic desk too. I got a motorized standing desk leg set off of amazon from ~$180. I then cut out an approximately 2x4 ft piece of 3/4 inch hardwood plywood, routed the edges smooth and finished it with a wood dye and polyurethane. This could easily be adapted to pretty much any size of desk and it is very sturdy feeling. It took maybe half a days work to build spread over two days. The ability to stand up during Teams calls, etc is really nice. If you don't have a table saw, you can get sheet plywood cut to size at most of the lumber stores and big box shops.

I am not so busy that I can't stand up at regular intervals for extended periods of time, so I'll make due without a standing desk. I'm grabbing a couple drawer units (https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/alex-drawer-unit-drop-file-storage-white-50508176/) and putting a 6' butcher block on them. That'll come up a little shorter than I'd like, so I'm going to put 2x4s between the drawer units and the desk.

I'm sad that I don't get a stipend from the office to reimburse some of the costs.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #3445 on: January 18, 2022, 03:46:42 PM »
Time and weather to complete existing projects... Not so stupid I suppose.

Nice door for a new side entrance to the house. The ones we agree on are $1500+. Probably needs to be a basic security door anyhow at a much lower cost.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3446 on: January 19, 2022, 08:41:39 AM »
A smart curtain rod and thermal curtains for a plate glass window.  I want to be able to open and close the curtains at specific times to help control the temp in the front part of the house. 

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3447 on: January 19, 2022, 09:06:28 AM »
A smart curtain rod and thermal curtains for a plate glass window.  I want to be able to open and close the curtains at specific times to help control the temp in the front part of the house.

I got cellular shades and thermal curtains for all the windows on the (very sunny) south side of our house.  It makes a noticeable (and nice) difference to house temperatures.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3448 on: January 19, 2022, 09:43:11 AM »

I got cellular shades and thermal curtains for all the windows on the (very sunny) south side of our house.  It makes a noticeable (and nice) difference to house temperatures.

This window faces due west.  I'd love to have a curtain that opens at noon in the winter and closes just before sunset.  And in the summer have it close at noon.  I've found a rod that fits the bill and it's not too bad for what it does.  The curtains are ridiculous though.  I've considered just getting the thermal liner and making the curtains myself.  But that's not that much less expensive.

LD_TAndK

• Bristles
« Reply #3449 on: January 19, 2022, 10:59:40 AM »
A brand new AWD hybrid sienna with snow tires and a big rooftop box to take myself and my seven closest friends skiing.

Not the stupidest car in the world but I definitely don't need to spend 40 grand to reach the slopes.