Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1318341 times)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3150 on: June 29, 2021, 04:40:40 PM »
Dead reliable new car with a warranty that I don't have to re-engineer to be sure it will make it back home!
*sigh* that's me, too.  One of our cars just hit 240,000 miles, the other hit 200,000 earlier this year.  So far, they're pretty doggone reliable, but sometimes I long for the first 100,000 miles of a car's ownership, when all the parts are new.

I can't complain *too* loudly, though.  The couple hundred bucks per year I spend on parts is a whole lot less than a car payment!

Absolutely! On the new cars its like you can't find a single vehicle that nobody had some problems with. Of course most people have very little idea of how the thing actually works so in the case of the Chev Cruze, when all the coolant leaks out they keep driving it.. like ummm?

I have a deep suspicion that anything with a CVT will not last the life of the car, yet they litter almost every small car offering.

That leaves manuals (very few and far between) or autos which mostly only come with larger engines these days.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3151 on: July 01, 2021, 02:29:16 PM »
I just bought the thing I've literally been lusting after since high school. A pair of Dr. Martens Vonda's!

FindingFI

• Stubble
« Reply #3152 on: July 02, 2021, 01:18:45 AM »
I have a deep suspicion that anything with a CVT will not last the life of the car, yet they litter almost every small car offering.

The one in my Subaru has been going strong for a decade and 180,000 miles. I hope it never dies so I don't have to deal with finding a new car.

I want a paved driveway. I'm tired of stepping on tiny, pointy rocks that have been tracked inside from our gravel driveway. Those things hurt with bare feet!

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #3153 on: July 02, 2021, 06:55:32 AM »
I just bought the thing I've literally been lusting after since high school. A pair of Dr. Martens Vonda's!

Are those the boots with the flowers on them?

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3154 on: July 02, 2021, 07:10:11 AM »
Yes!!!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3155 on: July 02, 2021, 09:25:44 AM »
I'm lusting after a two-post lift for my garage, because I'm now 40, and repeatedly climbing under the car and out from under the car is becoming annoying, and because I want more space to work when I'm under the cars.  There are used ones on FB marketplace for $1800, or I could get a 7,000lb QuickJack for $1700.

I suppose I could also file this under "Mustachian People Problems," since the money I have saved by doing my own car repair would more than pay for a lift, but then I'd have another project on my plate--cutting the concrete in the garage, digging out underneath, and pouring more concrete to support the posts.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3156 on: July 02, 2021, 09:52:25 AM »
I keep thinking about hiring someone to refinish my floors.

I could do it myself, but it sounds so much nicer to just leave for a few days and come back to refinished floors and no dust.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3157 on: July 03, 2021, 04:25:46 PM »
I'm lusting after a two-post lift for my garage, because I'm now 40, and repeatedly climbing under the car and out from under the car is becoming annoying, and because I want more space to work when I'm under the cars.  There are used ones on FB marketplace for $1800, or I could get a 7,000lb QuickJack for $1700.

I suppose I could also file this under "Mustachian People Problems," since the money I have saved by doing my own car repair would more than pay for a lift, but then I'd have another project on my plate--cutting the concrete in the garage, digging out underneath, and pouring more concrete to support the posts.

I went through this exact same thought process.. Then I told DW who immediately kyboshed it by saying it was way over the top.

Maybe I'll wait till she goes to see her mother again for 2 weeks and get one in there stealth mode. I'm sure she won't notice..:)

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3158 on: July 03, 2021, 07:50:45 PM »
Yeah, the problem with that is eventually she figures it out. In my case, it was a pressure washer upgrade. When I sold the old one, I had to spill it.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3159 on: July 04, 2021, 07:36:26 AM »
Yeah, the problem with that is eventually she figures it out. In my case, it was a pressure washer upgrade. When I sold the old one, I had to spill it.

That's why all of my motorcycles are the same color.  <wink>

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3160 on: July 04, 2021, 10:15:42 AM »

That's why all of my motorcycles are the same color.  <wink>

Good move..:)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3161 on: July 04, 2021, 11:16:29 AM »

I could do it myself, but it sounds so much nicer to just leave for a few days and come back to refinished floors and no dust.
If I know that you were actually going to attempt this, I'd get on a plane and deliver a facepunch personally. Okay, I'd be gentle about it, but I'd do it, or want to anyway.

Pay someone and get it done. You saved a shitload of money buying this place. Make it nice and enjoy it. I always think it's sad when people wait to fix up their homes until they're ready to sell. Such a waste, because the new owners are likely to want something different.

DO IT! NOW!!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3162 on: July 04, 2021, 11:23:05 AM »
I’m lusting after shoes that fit my aching toes.  I had a toe correction surgery in late April and my toes are still swollen and purple.  On days I have to wear my professional shoes, it’s rough.
Seriously? Do you know the expression, "Penny wise and pound foolish"? You had surgery and you're willing to fuck it up by not buying proper footwear?

If this sounds cranky, read it aloud and shout out the words until it sinks in that you deserve to treat yourself better, @Loretta.

I'll save the hugs until I see you wearing your new, comfortable shoes. Please don't make me wait long.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3163 on: July 04, 2021, 11:26:28 AM »

If I know that you were actually going to attempt this, I'd get on a plane and deliver a facepunch personally. Okay, I'd be gentle about it, but I'd do it, or want to anyway.

Pay someone and get it done. You saved a shitload of money buying this place. Make it nice and enjoy it. I always think it's sad when people wait to fix up their homes until they're ready to sell. Such a waste, because the new owners are likely to want something different.

DO IT! NOW!!

Lol, I'm contemplating it because I'm very bored and house projects are keeping me sane right now. I can't walk very well, but I can shuffle around the house fiddling with stupid, laborious, time consuming tasks.

I've refinished floors before, but I despise dust.

But don't worry, I won't wait on doing any renos I want to do. I'm refinishing my cabinets right now. It's taking months, but as I said, I'm bored and what the hell else am I going to do?

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3164 on: July 04, 2021, 11:46:11 AM »

DO IT! NOW!!

Lol, I'm contemplating it because I'm very bored and house projects are keeping me sane right now. I can't walk very well, but I can shuffle around the house fiddling with stupid, laborious, time consuming tasks.

But don't worry, I won't wait on doing any renos I want to do. I'm refinishing my cabinets right now. It's taking months, but as I said, I'm bored and what the hell else am I going to do?
Contemplate to your heart's content, just don't lift a finger, except to pay the bill. Even the cabinets, IMO. Go for a nice walk instead, or better still, take a lovely little holiday while the work is being done.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #3165 on: July 04, 2021, 12:33:56 PM »

For some reason I've always had a fear (hopefully irrational?) that my jack / jackstands will give way and I'll have an agonizing last few minutes/hours.  As often as I buy used stuff, it'd be a shame to somehow get a faulty product secondhand and end up on the local news!  I've always been envious of the vehicles large enough to just crawl under without needing to lift them ha!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3166 on: July 04, 2021, 01:17:28 PM »

For some reason I've always had a fear (hopefully irrational?) that my jack / jackstands will give way and I'll have an agonizing last few minutes/hours.  As often as I buy used stuff, it'd be a shame to somehow get a faulty product secondhand and end up on the local news!  I've always been envious of the vehicles large enough to just crawl under without needing to lift them ha!
OMG, I get the heebie jeebies every time DH uses a floor jack on our RV. Makes me think of the Wizard of Oz every time.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3167 on: July 04, 2021, 01:19:44 PM »
No Im
I’m lusting after shoes that fit my aching toes.  I had a toe correction surgery in late April and my toes are still swollen and purple.  On days I have to wear my professional shoes, it’s rough.
Seriously? Do you know the expression, "Penny wise and pound foolish"? You had surgery and you're willing to fuck it up by not buying proper footwear?

If this sounds cranky, read it aloud and shout out the words until it sinks in that you deserve to treat yourself better, @Loretta.

I'll save the hugs until I see you wearing your new, comfortable shoes. Please don't make me wait long.
waiting for the swelling to subside before I purchase new shoes.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3168 on: July 04, 2021, 02:07:55 PM »

DO IT! NOW!!

Contemplate to your heart's content, just don't lift a finger, except to pay the bill. Even the cabinets, IMO. Go for a nice walk instead, or better still, take a lovely little holiday while the work is being done.

Dicey!! I can't walk! I haven't been able to walk properly for months, that's why I'm refinishing cabinets, I'm stuck inside with only the ability to awkwardly hobble about. Besides, I get a little whacky if I spend too long not working with my hands. Now that I'm retired, tedious home projects seem to scratch that itch. It's either that or taking up making fishing flies or jewelry making or some such nonsense.

At least this way, I get refinished cabinets, new light fixtures, new plumbing fixtures, and I'm in the process of covering up the popcorn ceiling.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3169 on: July 04, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »
No Im

waiting for the swelling to subside before I purchase new shoes.
It sounds like you're forcing your feet into shoes that don't fit in the mean time. Please, please don't do that!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3170 on: July 04, 2021, 06:41:16 PM »

DO IT! NOW!!

Dicey!! I can't walk! I haven't been able to walk properly for months, that's why I'm refinishing cabinets, I'm stuck inside with only the ability to awkwardly hobble about. Besides, I get a little whacky if I spend too long not working with my hands. Now that I'm retired, tedious home projects seem to scratch that itch. It's either that or taking up making fishing flies or jewelry making or some such nonsense.

At least this way, I get refinished cabinets, new light fixtures, new plumbing fixtures, and I'm in the process of covering up the popcorn ceiling.
Oh, fuck,  Mal! Continuous migraines and this, too? I had no idea. I only said what I did because I figured the sound of sanding would hurt your head. If it doesn't cause you pain, then go for it!

Related: In an effort to force myself to stay horizontal until this stupid Lumbar Puncture heals, I just watched "7 Yards" about Chris Norton on Netflix. I feel like such an asshole now. If I could do this project for you, you know I would.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3171 on: July 04, 2021, 06:59:27 PM »

DO IT! NOW!!

Oh, fuck,  Mal! Continuous migraines and this, too? I had no idea. I only said what I did because I figured the sound of sanding would hurt your head. If it doesn't cause you pain, then go for it!

Related: In an effort to force myself to stay horizontal until this stupid Lumbar Puncture heals, I just watched "7 Yards" about Chris Norton on Netflix. I feel like such an asshole now. If I could do this project for you, you know I would.

Awe, you're awesome.

Technically I *can* walk, I just shouldn't. I hadn't thought about sanding sounds though, that's a good point.

I am very much enjoying the long, arduous, painstaking process of gel staining 50 year old oak cabinets doors with 6 layers of stain. It's already been over a month. It will be done some day. Maybe...maybe not. I'm okay living without cabinet doors, lol.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #3172 on: July 05, 2021, 03:42:42 AM »

OMG, I get the heebie jeebies every time DH uses a floor jack on our RV. Makes me think of the Wizard of Oz every time.

Hopefully he is not crawling under the RV while it is supported by a floor jack!

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3173 on: July 05, 2021, 06:44:04 AM »

Hopefully he is not crawling under the RV while it is supported by a floor jack!

Don't want to add some extra worries but a guy in my neighbourhood was crushed and died a couple of months ago doing exactly this. I'm all for DIY but please take care of safety. My uncle broke his back years ago when he fell doing work on his roof. He should have put up scaffolding but he wanted to be cheap and just used a ladder.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3174 on: July 05, 2021, 01:43:58 PM »
We preach safety over and over at work and people still don’t listen. I had a good personal wake-up call. I was working in the garage years ago.  Long story short, dislocated my finger because I didn’t want to take two minutes to move some stacks of extra tile. Quickest emergency room visit ever, so $1800 and 90 minutes later my finger was back in place, but it’s been just a little weak at that joint ever since. Safety first, safety first, safety first!

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3175 on: July 06, 2021, 12:14:44 AM »

I think that sounds awesome. If I had the garage for it I would do it in an instant.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3176 on: July 06, 2021, 07:40:47 AM »
I had a pair of sunglasses several years ago that I loved.  They were platinum a-wires with a gold/root beer lens.  They lost an argument with a lawn mower awhile back (I dropped them in the yard and my husband ran over them).  I'd love to replace them, but apparently they were rare enough that even used ones with scratched lenses are still $300 on Poshmark.  No thanks. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3177 on: July 06, 2021, 07:49:14 AM »
I had a pair of sunglasses several years ago that I loved.  They were platinum a-wires with a gold/root beer lens.  They lost an argument with a lawn mower awhile back (I dropped them in the yard and my husband ran over them).  I'd love to replace them, but apparently they were rare enough that even used ones with scratched lenses are still $300 on Poshmark.  No thanks.
Well, they were good while they lasted, right? How did you come to own them in the first place?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3178 on: July 06, 2021, 07:50:58 AM »
Well, they were good while they lasted, right? How did you come to own them in the first place?

I worked at a shop that carried them.  When the shop closed I was able to stack my employee discount on top of the going-out-of-business sale to get them for like nearly 50% off.  I don't think I was technically supposed to be able to do that due to the vendor contract with Oakley, but I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations is up on that now.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3179 on: July 06, 2021, 09:15:45 AM »

You should just go ahead and pull the trigger on this one.
Will be able to use this thing for many years and save you a lot of physical strain.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3180 on: July 06, 2021, 10:17:28 AM »

You should just go ahead and pull the trigger on this one.
Will be able to use this thing for many years and save you a lot of physical strain.
I probably could.  My biggest hesitations are:
1) I don't know how much longer we will be in this home
2) Digging and pouring new footings for the lift is not a trivial task
3) It would take some really good planning to fit it in.  Right now, our 3-car garage is occupied by two cars (two bays), bikes/lawnmower/trash cans/etc (1/2 bay), and my small workshop (1/2 bay).  Because homebuilders are cheap and build garages as small as possible, I honestly don't know where I'd put the lift. 

A QuickJack is tempting--it's non-permanent, not too expensive, and doesn't require new footings.  However, if I'm going to buy a lift, I'd prefer to have one that can get the car up high enough to walk under, or at least sit under on a rolling stool.  Of course, that takes me back to the two-post lift that requires a reinforced floor and a higher ceiling...

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3181 on: July 06, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »

Uhhhhh....

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3182 on: July 06, 2021, 01:57:03 PM »

Uhhhhh....
Seriously!? This is vehicle maintenance 101: NEVER GO UNDER A VEHICLE ONLY SUPPORTED BY A JACK!
https://www.liveabout.com/car-jack-stands-4154533
https://www.denenapoints.com/u-s-data-incidence-jack-failure-injury-accidents-nationwide/

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3183 on: July 06, 2021, 08:54:31 PM »
Yup I'm sure the majority of us who regularly work on vehicles reacted the same way.

In my younger years I had a couple of near misses but I learned pretty quick that if you can't afford jack sands you can't afford to risk going under the car!

I don't think I have ever gone under a car on just a jack since my early 20's. I hear of serious injuries all the time.. its so sad.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3184 on: July 06, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
Yup I'm sure the majority of us who regularly work on vehicles reacted the same way.

In my younger years I had a couple of near misses but I learned pretty quick that if you can't afford jack sands you can't afford to risk going under the car!

I don't think I have ever gone under a car on just a jack since my early 20's. I hear of serious injuries all the time.. its so sad.
I don't think I've ever gone under a car supported only by a jack. In my early 20s I met another car enthusiast who was missing several fingers because he was working on the brakes without properly supporting the vehicle, which fell with his hand caught between the pavement and the brake disc... So you don't even have to go fully under the car to risk injury/dismemberment. Not worth it!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3185 on: July 06, 2021, 10:23:54 PM »

Uhhhhh....
Seriously!? This is vehicle maintenance 101: NEVER GO UNDER A VEHICLE ONLY SUPPORTED BY A JACK!
https://www.denenapoints.com/u-s-data-incidence-jack-failure-injury-accidents-nationwide/
Yeah, he uses jack stands. He's pretty safety conscious, but that doesn't keep me from worrying.
That second link was interesting...considering the source.

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3186 on: July 07, 2021, 03:18:53 PM »

Uhhhhh....
Yeah, he uses jack stands. He's pretty safety conscious, but that doesn't keep me from worrying.
That second link was interesting...considering the source.

Yeah, jackstands are not great on their own, either. Harbor Freight had an issue with some of theirs failing a couple of years back. Not Good.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/06/14/harbor-freight-jack-stand-failure/

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3187 on: July 07, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
I've got both 3 Ton and 6Ton jackstands from HF, both post recall.

I tested them in my hydraulic press and they held up fine.

I have no problem using them. HF's quality has actually come up quite a bit in recent years.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3188 on: July 07, 2021, 05:38:29 PM »
2019-2021 Ford F-150 Raptor......and I don't even like trucks.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3189 on: July 07, 2021, 05:53:48 PM »
I always use quality jackstands and it still makes me nervous. For example, what would happen during a bad earthquake?

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3190 on: July 07, 2021, 05:56:12 PM »
I always use quality jackstands and it still makes me nervous. For example, what would happen during a bad earthquake?

I typically leave my floor jack under the vehicle - I'll relax it to put the load on the jackstands, and then leave the jack in its load bearing position so if I do lose a jackstand for some reason the floor jack is still there.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3191 on: July 07, 2021, 05:59:03 PM »

I typically leave my floor jack under the vehicle - I'll relax it to put the load on the jackstands, and then leave the jack in its load bearing position so if I do lose a jackstand for some reason the floor jack is still there.

Me too!

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #3192 on: July 08, 2021, 02:37:56 AM »

Me too!

I have a few blocks of hardwood in my garage. Blocks are 18" high. I place these directly under the side sills of the vehicle so if the stands break or fail, the vehicle will fall onto the wooden blocks and leave enough space to crawl out.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3193 on: July 09, 2021, 08:30:07 AM »
I want an electric blade sharpener.  The kind that sharpens everything, even a shovel. 

I keep telling people an electric blade sharpener is one of the technologies that sets our age apart - I guess I just mean electricity is amazing.  But it is the blade sharpener that embodies this for me (at least in my fantasy).

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3194 on: July 10, 2021, 08:40:05 PM »

Can't talk you out of this one.  My BIL put one up in his "parking lot" (garage wasn't tall enough).  He has no regrets.  You know how nice it is to walk under your car to work on stuff instead of having to crawl/slide around under it?  Even changing tires is so much easier when you don't have to bend over to do everything.    He's never taken anything to a mechanic, always done the work himself, and it's been a great back-saver for him.  Bonus is that I get to use it when I want/need to.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3195 on: July 10, 2021, 09:08:18 PM »

Can't talk you out of this one.  My BIL put one up in his "parking lot" (garage wasn't tall enough).  He has no regrets.  You know how nice it is to walk under your car to work on stuff instead of having to crawl/slide around under it?  Even changing tires is so much easier when you don't have to bend over to do everything.    He's never taken anything to a mechanic, always done the work himself, and it's been a great back-saver for him.  Bonus is that I get to use it when I want/need to.
You guys aren't helping.  At all.  :P

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #3196 on: July 11, 2021, 06:30:09 AM »
My fearmongering about a car crushing you to death wasn't good enough?! :)  How about your lifted car landing on top of the one underneath?  Or the work to modify your garage?  Maybe you can think of getting under your car as a yoga workout 😉

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3197 on: July 11, 2021, 03:24:46 PM »

Lifts are awesome.  I have a good friend with one and he's using it constantly, whether for his own cars or for others'.

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
« Reply #3198 on: July 11, 2021, 05:27:04 PM »
I so want a shady option for our back yard. We have a lovely back yard area, with plenty of shade (via patio umbrellas) in the morning & early afternoons. In the late afternoon, we typically get some shade from a neighbor's tree. Unfortunately, due to the drought, the tree has a tremendous aphid infestation, and there's sticky goo everywhere, so no sitting in that area. It's ruined several of our patio chairs. We had a tree guy out to get a bid (neighbor is 90+, and definitely not planning to pay), and it's way too much for a service the tree guy says needs to be repeated multiple times, and no guarantees due to the drought & wind. So, undeterred, I'm not looking at options for creating more shade elsewhere in the yard. It's stupid, and pricey.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #3199 on: July 12, 2021, 01:44:51 AM »
Slot car set to keep my kids entertained during winter holidays. And for my own fun.