Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1323053 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3100 on: May 25, 2021, 09:00:25 AM »
That’s funny about the previous post...I’ve been lusting after a Rolex watch for some time.  I’ve been trying to get my boss to get me one (long story) but no dice.  So if I’m going to do it, it’s gonna have to be on my own.

Question:  is it better to buy a new one outright?  Or buy pre-owned?  And if pre-owned, any specific recommendations on where to buy?

Are you on Bogleheads? I guarantee you that they are well equipped to help you spend 5 figures on a watch.

LMAO galore on the Petrocelli thread at BH on Rolexes. The mental gymnastics on that site to justify is Olympic-level. Just a reactionary "fuuuuucccccck" response got me banned from that site (not the Rolex thread but another one).
BH could do with a few face punches.

Back on topic: ponied up a $100 for a spot on the F-150 Lightning list. But having seen the new Ford Bronco and Land Rover Defender in person, I want them both. And the Lightning too.

I dared to talk about feelings there a few times and got roundhouse kicked in the face. Apparently talking about motivations for spending is really unwelcome.

But yeah, they know A LOT about Rolex watches, that's for sure.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3101 on: May 25, 2021, 09:26:05 AM »
Back on topic: ponied up a $100 for a spot on the F-150 Lightning list.
Nice! I have absolutely no need for a pickup at this time but I could almost justify it for the backup power feature alone.
Great. Now I want a pickup truck. Although for $40K+, I'm pretty sure I could get solar panels installed with whole house batteries for a similar backup power situation, and replace the water heater and HVAC to fully electrify the house so we can stop burning natural gas on-site, and still have some money left over, so it would depend on timing for us - would also need to replace a vehicle to justify buying a giant truck.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3102 on: May 25, 2021, 09:46:58 AM »
That’s funny about the previous post...I’ve been lusting after a Rolex watch for some time.  I’ve been trying to get my boss to get me one (long story) but no dice.  So if I’m going to do it, it’s gonna have to be on my own.

Question:  is it better to buy a new one outright?  Or buy pre-owned?  And if pre-owned, any specific recommendations on where to buy?

Are you on Bogleheads? I guarantee you that they are well equipped to help you spend 5 figures on a watch.

LMAO galore on the Petrocelli thread at BH on Rolexes. The mental gymnastics on that site to justify is Olympic-level. Just a reactionary "fuuuuucccccck" response got me banned from that site (not the Rolex thread but another one).

Back on topic: ponied up a $100 for a spot on the F-150 Lightning list. But having seen the new Ford Bronco and Land Rover Defender in person, I want them both. And the Lightning too.

I dared to talk about feelings there a few times and got roundhouse kicked in the face. Apparently talking about motivations for spending is really unwelcome.

The intra-forum rivalry is hilarious :)

Once I came to the conclusion that my wife simply will not support early retirement and traditional wage earning is going to be a part of my life for the next 10 years +, I have come to terms with myself that it’s ok to want frivolous things.  Because abstaining isn’t going to allow me to retire any sooner.  If we were open to a simpler life or a move abroad we could retire today.  My wife’s fear is too great.  Not worth the fight. 

I want a Rolex.  Not going to buy one, but I want one.  Punch me in the face. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3103 on: May 25, 2021, 09:51:57 AM »
Nice! I have absolutely no need for a pickup at this time but I could almost justify it for the backup power feature alone.
Great. Now I want a pickup truck. Although for $40K+, I'm pretty sure I could get solar panels installed with whole house batteries for a similar backup power situation, and replace the water heater and HVAC to fully electrify the house so we can stop burning natural gas on-site, and still have some money left over, so it would depend on timing for us - would also need to replace a vehicle to justify buying a giant truck.
Have you priced out battery backup solutions? The Tesla Powerwall 2 is 13.5 kWh and costs $7.5k (plus installation and additional hardware) and they say it will power your house for 12 hours. The F-150 Lightning says it will power your house for 3 days and I'm guessing the battery is around 90 kWh. $7.5k * 6.67 = $50k so the truck is probably equivalent in cost or maybe cheaper for the capacity! And you can't drive around a Powerwall when you aren't using it.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3104 on: May 25, 2021, 10:00:40 AM »
Who would you shoot with it first?

There are multiple indoor ranges near my house that allow pistol calibers. So, probably some paper targets.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3105 on: May 25, 2021, 10:49:34 AM »

My 13.2kW solar array was $47k before tax credit -- doing solar plus batteries plus appliances at 40k will be tough, and if you're switching to electric HVAC / hot water you'll need a lot more power than you do today.

anotherAlias

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3106 on: May 25, 2021, 12:07:52 PM »
I'm not sure if I've posted this before or not.  It's worth repeating if so. I have wanted a swim spa for years.  The older I get, the more I want one.  Every year I seem to acquire one more ache/pain that just doesn't go away.  I'd love to be able to swim for a while and then soak with jets messaging all my aches.  Yesterday I was actually considering coming out of retirement for a while to fund one.

NoVa

• Stubble
« Reply #3107 on: May 25, 2021, 12:38:57 PM »

Once I came to the conclusion that my wife simply will not support early retirement and traditional wage earning is going to be a part of my life for the next 10 years +, I have come to terms with myself that it’s ok to want frivolous things.  Because abstaining isn’t going to allow me to retire any sooner.  If we were open to a simpler life or a move abroad we could retire today.  My wife’s fear is too great.  Not worth the fight. 

Rolex is like a Buick, you don't want one of those. You need a Vacheron Constantin or Patek Philippe. :)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3108 on: May 25, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »

My 13.2kW solar array was $47k before tax credit -- doing solar plus batteries plus appliances at 40k will be tough, and if you're switching to electric HVAC / hot water you'll need a lot more power than you do today.
I don't think our roof would fit a 13.2kW array, although perhaps the slope is low enough to build on the back-side of the gable and angle the panels up so they get similar light to the front of the house? A neighbor recently installed a 3.5kW system and it takes up about half of the space available on the south-facing side of their roof which is pretty similar to ours. Our utility does net-metering but you don't get paid for excess power beyond zeroing out your bill and excess can be carried over to the next month, except that once per year the carryover resets and is lost, so building too much capacity wouldn't have the same financial impact as right-sizing the array for our usage, although I'll admit we certainly can afford to "lose" some free electricity once per year.

Anyway - where I'm getting numbers is Tesla, who has a easy online quote tool even if they don't actually install in our area. Says $33K before incentives for an 8kW + 2 power walls. HVAC replacement is probably $6-8K if last time was any indication (that's the stopper on actually doing this - we replaced the gas package system when the AC failed in a very expensive way back in 2016, so we're a long way from that thing's end of life), water heater I'm thinking maybe $2K - could be more or less depending on particulars. So from my vantage point, $40K looks close without incentives, and with incentives, seems like it would come in under $40K. Of course, I'm only in the very preliminary stages of thinking about this - probably 5 to 10 years before actually doing anything for us. Maybe this will be our 2nd-million splurge or something.

The cheapest version of the truck costs just under $40K before tax incentives, but you'd also have to install bi-directional charging at the house (whereas the array + batteries claims to be an installed price) and it is possible that will be an additional cost on the truck as well (haven't read that closely about it). Plus if I'm buying this truck in the near term, that means we're actually replacing our long-range vehicle that can do road trips and that means I'm actually looking at the almost $50K version.

So I guess "stupid thing I'm lusting after" includes solar-ing our house as well as the previously mentioned completely unnecessary hockey equipment.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3109 on: May 25, 2021, 01:01:12 PM »

It's not really a rivalry, BH is fantastic for its purposes, that's why I legitimately recommended to ask there about a Rolex, because the shaming thread for stupid purchases on this site is probably not the source of the best advice on that front.

Also, I wasn't challenging anyone on their spending over there, someone was doubting themselves and I was offering my usual Malcat "hey there, let's dig into your squishy underbelly of feelings" input.

You don't need to justify any spending, I don't believe in doing so to anyone but yourself and your family.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3110 on: May 25, 2021, 06:21:10 PM »

It's not really a rivalry, BH is fantastic for its purposes, that's why I legitimately recommended to ask there about a Rolex, because the shaming thread for stupid purchases on this site is probably not the source of the best advice on that front.

Also, I wasn't challenging anyone on their spending over there, someone was doubting themselves and I was offering my usual Malcat "hey there, let's dig into your squishy underbelly of feelings" input.

You don't need to justify any spending, I don't believe in doing so to anyone but yourself and your family.

@Captain Cactus this isn't the Facepunch thread. Here you can legit state the stupidest thing you want, without justification. A Rolex want is stupid, and apt to post.

But as is Mustachian nature, you may get facepunches.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3111 on: May 25, 2021, 06:58:17 PM »

@Captain Cactus this isn't the Facepunch thread. Here you can legit state the stupidest thing you want, without justification. A Rolex want is stupid, and apt to post.

It’s so stupid and beautiful.  I was mocked in a separate thread a while back for wanting to collect a box full of silver and gold coins and jewelry because I like the idea of possessing beautiful stuff. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3112 on: May 25, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »

It’s so stupid and beautiful.  I was mocked in a separate thread a while back for wanting to collect a box full of silver and gold coins and jewelry because I like the idea of possessing beautiful stuff.

You got mocked because you tried to justify pirate treasure as a legitimate investment, but overall I thought that thread was pretty respectful even in its teasing. Didn't you get a bunch of legitimate advice on buying gold?

We facepunch and tease here, but at the end of the day, if shiny, pretty things make up your best life and you are willing to work for them, then go ahead, be a crow, collect shiny things and be happy.

You do you.

ETA: you're not the only one BTW, there's a woman here who split not too long ago from her husband and was trying to figure out the value of the ring he gave her. There was no purchase price to go on because he picked it from his "horde" of jewels.

We have (had?) another open jewelry junkie who used to post a bunch about it back in the day, always trying to cut back on jewelry buying.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 08:12:17 PM by Malcat »

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3113 on: May 25, 2021, 08:18:31 PM »
We have (had?) another open jewelry junkie who used to post a bunch about it back in the day, always trying to cut back on jewelry buying.
She took part in the No Gazingus Pins thread and managed to break the habit by the end of the year. It was awesome.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3114 on: May 26, 2021, 08:30:13 AM »

You got mocked because you tried to justify pirate treasure as a legitimate investment, but overall I thought that thread was pretty respectful even in its teasing. Didn't you get a bunch of legitimate advice on buying gold?

We facepunch and tease here, but at the end of the day, if shiny, pretty things make up your best life and you are willing to work for them, then go ahead, be a crow, collect shiny things and be happy.

You do you.

ETA: you're not the only one BTW, there's a woman here who split not too long ago from her husband and was trying to figure out the value of the ring he gave her. There was no purchase price to go on because he picked it from his "horde" of jewels.

The visual of a pirates hoard cracks me up.  Arrrrr!

But seriously, I started that thread about investing in precious gems because I seriously wanted to learn about the topic and get feedback from the forum.  I got my desired result and thank everyone for their feedback!  I also got good insight and advice about investing in gold, so really happy about that.  I still haven't pulled the trigger on a gold coin. 

For what it's worth, wanting something and actually pulling the trigger are two separate things.  I do not plan on having a pirate's chest full of jewelry.  I love the idea of it!  But despite my desires my investments remain decidedly vanilla.  There will not likely be a Rolex purchased by me on my wrist. 

Arrrrr!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3115 on: May 26, 2021, 09:06:38 AM »

Do they have journals over there? I'm just trying to imagine what they would be like and I'm drawing a blank. I took a look at the site a while back and none of the threads seemed relevant to me at all.

Can I lust after having fewer things or does that not count as stupid? I would be happy to live out of a suitcase if I only had myself to think about.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3116 on: May 26, 2021, 09:16:35 AM »

Do they have journals over there? I'm just trying to imagine what they would be like and I'm drawing a blank. I took a look at the site a while back and none of the threads seemed relevant to me at all.

Can I lust after having fewer things or does that not count as stupid? I would be happy to live out of a suitcase if I only had myself to think about.

That is actually a fantasy of mine if I were a single guy... travel the world with just a suitcase.  All of my net worth in equities and living off my VA pension and dividends.  I think it could be a luxurious life.

But I have a wife and kids.  I thank God for them every day. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3117 on: May 26, 2021, 10:03:15 AM »
She took part in the No Gazingus Pins thread and managed to break the habit by the end of the year. It was awesome.
I helped LJ with something and she still checks in once in a while. I'm pretty sure she's living her Best Life though she might be a bit sleep deprived. Her "Cheap Things That Make You Happy" thread is still going strong.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3118 on: May 26, 2021, 10:33:01 AM »
[Snip]
Rolex is like a Buick, you don't want one of those. You need a Vacheron Constantin or Patek Philippe. :)
I used to be a manufacturers rep, calling on wholesalers. One guy was always bugging the shit out of everyone, including me, for extra discounts.* One day he was wearing a long sleeved shirt. When he started in on his I-need-another-discount-better-terms-blah-x-3 spiel, he put his hands together, folded his arms and put his elbows on his desk, kind of like he was praying. I looked at his exposed wrist, paused, then looked him in the eye and said, "Nice watch, Harvey." The look on his face was priceless. He never pulled that discount shit on me again.

Some time later, I ran into him at a restaurant as he was leaving. He asked me if I wanted to see his new car, so I followed him out to the parking garage. I don't recall what it was, but it's probably on this list somewhere. It beat the hell out of the 911 that was his daily driver. I guess he figured since I'd recognized his timepiece, there was no harm in showing off his prized car.

Conclusion: there's no harm in knowing what these things are, or even wanting them. I just wanted freedom from a j-o-b and clowns like him even more. Now, I'm richer than I ever imagined and have no desire for any of that shit, but I could easily buy almost anything that was ever on my wish list. I still like my freedom more.

* Another rep once said of Harvey, "That guy can squeeze a nickel 'til the buffalo pisses", which still makes me laugh.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3119 on: May 26, 2021, 10:52:46 AM »
[Snip]
I used to be a manufacturers rep, calling on wholesalers. One guy was always bugging the shit out of everyone, including me, for extra discounts.* One day he was wearing a long sleeved shirt. When he started in on his I-need-another-discount-better-terms-blah-x-3 spiel, he put his hands together, folded his arms and put his elbows on his desk, kind of like he was praying. I looked at his exposed wrist, paused, then looked him in the eye and said, "Nice watch, Harvey." The look on his face was priceless. He never pulled that discount shit on me again.

Some time later, I ran into him at a restaurant as he was leaving. He asked me if I wanted to see his new car, so I followed him out to the parking garage. I don't recall what it was, but it's probably on this list somewhere. It beat the hell out of the 911 that was his daily driver. I guess he figured since I'd recognized his timepiece, there was no harm in showing off his prized car.

Conclusion: there's no harm in knowing what these things are, or even wanting them. I just wanted freedom from a j-o-b and clowns like him even more. Now, I'm richer than I ever imagined and have no desire for any of that shit, but I could easily buy almost anything that was ever on my wish list. I still like my freedom more.

* Another rep once said of Harvey, "That guy can squeeze a nickel 'til the buffalo pisses", which still makes me laugh.

That’s a great story.  Are you open to sharing what industry you used to work in as a rep?

EngineerOurFI

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3120 on: May 26, 2021, 12:09:48 PM »
Dumbest thing I'm lusting after is a BMW X5 (it's "practical" since I have kids).  I drive an ~8 year old BMW 3 series sedan with ~100k miles or so.  But there's literally no reason to have a second crossover/SUV in the family and I'm WFH 70% of the time now so there's really no reason for me to have a BMW X5.  However, if my overall pay remains solid for another 5-7 years and I keep hitting my savings goals, it's possible that I'll "reward" myself with it.  But for now I'm going to try and hit 200k miles on my current car.

Slightly less dumb is I'd really like the new phone when it comes out later this year, as having better picture quality means a lot to me w/ young kids.  But dear god phones are pricey these days.  They've just gotten to stupid-high price levels.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3121 on: May 26, 2021, 12:16:30 PM »
Dumbest thing I'm lusting after is a BMW X5 (it's "practical" since I have kids).  I drive an ~8 year old BMW 3 series sedan with ~100k miles or so.  But there's literally no reason to have a second crossover/SUV in the family and I'm WFH 70% of the time now so there's really no reason for me to have a BMW X5.  However, if my overall pay remains solid for another 5-7 years and I keep hitting my savings goals, it's possible that I'll "reward" myself with it.  But for now I'm going to try and hit 200k miles on my current car.

Slightly less dumb is I'd really like the new phone when it comes out later this year, as having better picture quality means a lot to me w/ young kids.  But dear god phones are pricey these days.  They've just gotten to stupid-high price levels.
I mean, why not shoot for 250K miles? Might as well make it interesting. And who knows, why then you might not need it, because your kids will be old enough that they won't want to drive with you anyways!

bloodaxe

• Stubble
« Reply #3122 on: May 26, 2021, 03:37:33 PM »
A RadPower ebike. If I biked everywhere I could justify it. But I only bike 2 -3 times a week.

But man, the hills in the summer :(

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3123 on: May 26, 2021, 04:07:20 PM »
A RadPower ebike. If I biked everywhere I could justify it. But I only bike 2 -3 times a week.

As a RadPower ebike owner, I have found that owning one has significantly increased the amount of bike trips that I take. Technically I don't do anything with my ebike I couldn't do with a regular bike, but knowing I only have to pedal as much as a I want to makes biking a much easier choice.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3124 on: May 26, 2021, 04:15:47 PM »

As a RadPower ebike owner, I have found that owning one has significantly increased the amount of bike trips that I take. Technically I don't do anything with my ebike I couldn't do with a regular bike, but knowing I only have to pedal as much as a I want to makes biking a much easier choice.

Truth.

Biking hills is really hard on my knees, so I wasn't going out too often, now that I have an e-bike, I use it all the time. Love it.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3125 on: May 26, 2021, 06:59:12 PM »

Cosign. If distance was holding you back before, an ebike can make the difference. I am currently biking about 50 miles a week, because with my Tern HSD I can make the 10 mile trip to the office without turning into a puddle of sweat. Summers will be trickier, but we dress down that time of year, so I think I will be fine.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3126 on: May 26, 2021, 08:34:24 PM »
[Snip]

I don't follow. Just because he's rich, he can't ask for discounts? I mean, the request for a discount may or may not be reasonable, but it doesn't turn on whether the guy needs it or not. I still jack up my prices whenever I can regardless of whether I feel I 'need' the money or not. It's just business.

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3127 on: June 01, 2021, 03:52:31 PM »

Truth.

Biking hills is really hard on my knees, so I wasn't going out too often, now that I have an e-bike, I use it all the time. Love it.

Once I got my e-bike, I started figuring out how to do more and more of my trips on it, to the point where my car sat largely unused for the better part of 2 years, gathering dust.  I finally sold the car a few months ago. 

Similar to what others have voiced, I *could* do basically all of that on a regular bike...it would just be slower and sweatier, and overall probably less safe (I find e-biking on busier streets to be much safer than meat biking, as I'm less disruptive to traffic and can accelerate more quickly to react to things).  In reality, I wouldn't do it all by bike, and I'd still have my car. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3128 on: June 01, 2021, 09:23:09 PM »
I got to drive a go kart this weekend. So much fun!! Where has this been all my life??? Where??? Now I want to try a dirt bike. So dangerous. So fun.

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3129 on: June 07, 2021, 10:59:46 AM »
i had the dream about the fender telecaster again last night and today i got a stimulus check in the mail.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3130 on: June 07, 2021, 12:20:51 PM »
i had the dream about the fender telecaster again last night and today i got a stimulus check in the mail.

ohhh shiiiiit

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3131 on: June 07, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »

ohhh shiiiiit
i know.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3132 on: June 07, 2021, 03:17:42 PM »

I'll jump in here and give a positive review on the Rad Rover power bike.
I've had one for a couple years now and they are a bunch of fun.    I happen to use mine quite a bit deer hunting also.  Get's me clear to the back of the farm quietly without getting all sweaty and stinky.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3133 on: June 07, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »

e-bike was the one thing I was lusting after last year.  I think I even mentioned it in this thread.  And Radpower bikes were some of the first I looked at.   There was a backlog of orders last summer of many e-bike brands, so I waited until this spring to jump on something early.   I went with a Ride1Up 700 series.  What originally drove me to them was the highly configurable controller/display which let me set the power percentage independently in every assist level, plus set the number of levels 3,5,7,9 plus a 0 option in each range.  My primary purpose was for exercise, while easing the strain of climbing the big hills, so I didn't want a bike that had too much assist in low PAS levels as some bikes did, or accelerated too abruptly, and I didn't want a PAS system that acted like a cruise control but rather applied consistent power output.  The 700 fit the bill.  And also, the 700 had the preferred gearing I wanted and wider (but not fat) tires.  I've had it a few months now and have no regrets.  It's just as advertised.  I would like to get a second e-bike eventually and am leaning more toward a mid-drive with a torque sensor based PAS for that.  So, that still gives me something to lust after.  lol

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3134 on: June 09, 2021, 06:15:42 AM »
I got to drive a go kart this weekend. So much fun!! Where has this been all my life??? Where??? Now I want to try a dirt bike. So dangerous. So fun.

Congrats!  Go karts are a blast.  Years ago a group of us celebrated my B-day at a small town track.  They placed a water sprinkler on one of the corners, for us, to add to the excitement.  We'd hit the wet area and slid through the curve, assuming we did it right! 

Dirt bikes are great too.  I really like having a trail bike version, with lights and a license plate, that allows me to ride on the roads to connect various trails and to also run to get gas & snacks.   

Luke Warm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3135 on: June 11, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »

ohhh shiiiiit
i know.

so i test drove a mexican telecaster. super nice guitar, probably way more than i need. i think maybe just playing it a bit scratched that itch? i don't know. back in the day i used to play all the time, to the point that i got really tired of hearing myself. so i quit and it's been 30 years. i still have the chords memorized but that's about it so i would need to just sit and play. the cool thing is is that there's the internet now so there's all kinds of resources that weren't available when i was a kid. all i need is the desire to play and the time to practice. it would be bought with free money (stimulus check) so i'm not out anything but it might be more fun to just lust for it than the reality of owning it. we'll see.

broketriathlete

• Stubble
  • Mustachian Student
« Reply #3136 on: June 18, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »
A Stewart Golf X10 Follow Trolley...

Aegishjalmur

• Bristles
« Reply #3137 on: June 19, 2021, 03:12:20 PM »
An ambidextrous bow as I want to practice both three finger and thumb draw.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3138 on: June 19, 2021, 09:07:50 PM »
I've really been itching for a fun car again...used car prices are absurd right now, though. :(

Feivel2000

• Bristles
« Reply #3139 on: June 23, 2021, 01:43:22 AM »
A Boox Nova 3 Color... and I bought it.

BigEasyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3140 on: June 23, 2021, 07:41:51 AM »
A turntable that will rip-ping my vinyl directly to an mp3 / USB stick.

M2 pilot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3141 on: June 28, 2021, 03:48:07 PM »
I'm no longer lusting for a new Corvette.  I had the right raffle ticket.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #3142 on: June 28, 2021, 04:24:52 PM »
Congrats & budget for those taxes on your new toy!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3143 on: June 29, 2021, 07:42:06 AM »

That's amazing! Congrats!

My wife gave me permission to get something that I've lusted after for the six years since I sold my last one: a motorcycle.

I'm beyond excited to ride again.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3144 on: June 29, 2021, 07:53:45 AM »
Holy shit! Congratulations!  It's going to be interesting to see how much a free car actually costs, lol.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3145 on: June 29, 2021, 09:00:34 AM »
It's going to be interesting to see how much a free car actually costs, lol.

Hopefully less than a free boat.  Holy crap free boats get expensive. 

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3146 on: June 29, 2021, 11:04:53 AM »

Holy crap, congrats!

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3147 on: June 29, 2021, 12:23:54 PM »

Nice

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #3148 on: June 29, 2021, 12:25:21 PM »
Dead reliable new car with a warranty that I don't have to re-engineer to be sure it will make it back home!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3149 on: June 29, 2021, 02:39:02 PM »
Dead reliable new car with a warranty that I don't have to re-engineer to be sure it will make it back home!
*sigh* that's me, too.  One of our cars just hit 240,000 miles, the other hit 200,000 earlier this year.  So far, they're pretty doggone reliable, but sometimes I long for the first 100,000 miles of a car's ownership, when all the parts are new.

I can't complain *too* loudly, though.  The couple hundred bucks per year I spend on parts is a whole lot less than a car payment!