Author Topic: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?  (Read 1296967 times)

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: What's the stupidest thing you're lusting after right now?
« Reply #3050 on: May 16, 2021, 05:04:02 PM »
Dryers... Get thee to bogleheads! :P

Where is all this laundry coming from? I have 2 small kids and I only do 2-3 loads per week. Is my washer just bigger?

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3051 on: May 16, 2021, 06:04:35 PM »

Where is all this laundry coming from? I have 2 small kids and I only do 2-3 loads per week. Is my washer just bigger?
I live with 3x 6'+ dudes plus all of us exercise on the reg. Even with a 7kg washing machine, it fills up quickly when the sweaty t-shirts are also LARGE

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3052 on: May 16, 2021, 06:23:09 PM »

I live with 3x 6'+ dudes plus all of us exercise on the reg. Even with a 7kg washing machine, it fills up quickly when the sweaty t-shirts are also LARGE

That will be me in a couple years lol. Hopefully they will be doing their own laundry by then.

lutorm

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3053 on: May 16, 2021, 06:24:59 PM »
A set of high quality, ABEC-5+, sealed, angular contact bearings for the spindle on my CNC mill. I'm just wondering if there would be a noticeable difference using a pair of $300 bearings as opposed to the $25 ones I have now.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3054 on: May 16, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »

Little Kids = little clothes, and you have more control over it. :)

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3055 on: May 17, 2021, 08:24:04 AM »
Laundry = sheets, blankets, bedspreads, lots of throw rugs, bath towels, hand towels, wash cloths, kitchen towels, cleaning rags, mop heads, whites, darks, delicates, dog beds, blanket in car for dog to sit on, curtains, jackets, sometimes bed pillows, throw pillows.

I am sure there is much, much more!

3 loads a week! In my dreams!

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3056 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:52 AM »
Obligatory link.  I've been trying to get down to 2 loads per week, but it's usually 3 (lights, darks, sheets/towels/blankets).  I do hang dry everything I can, though, so 3 washer loads is only 2 drier loads. (2 adults, no kids)

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3057 on: May 17, 2021, 10:21:24 AM »
This is something I will never have but I dream of owning about 4 washing machines and 4 driers so I can do mutiple loads of wash at the same time and get it over with. Instead of doing one load at a time and taking all day to do 3-4 loads.
Having multiple washers and dryers is nice, and relatively inexpensive if A) you have the space, B) the second set connections are easy to install, and C) you're buying used appliances.

While there's an upfront cost, there also savings with having spare appliances. I've had a few washer/dryers break, and having a backup certainly saved me some money by removing the pressure to get it fixed right away.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 09:07:32 AM by YttriumNitrate »

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3058 on: May 17, 2021, 03:28:56 PM »
Having 2 dishwashers would be nice too.  One for the dirty dishes & one for the clean dishes.  You'd never have to bother unloading the clean dishes & storing them in the cabinets.  That would free up space to store the air fryer & the insta-pot. 

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3059 on: May 17, 2021, 03:47:52 PM »
I like that idea of two dishwashers too!

I would also like to have a gigantic pantry like the size of a medium size bedroom with shelves and cabinets. I would like to store all my small appliances in there as well as food and freezers. Then in there maybe a large closet with shelves for vacuum cleaners, brooms and cleaning products.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3060 on: May 17, 2021, 04:37:14 PM »
A set of high quality, ABEC-5+, sealed, angular contact bearings for the spindle on my CNC mill. I'm just wondering if there would be a noticeable difference using a pair of $300 bearings as opposed to the $25 ones I have now.
I'd think this is not at all the same thing, but ABEC-5 is pretty much the cheapest bearing you can buy for inline skates these days.

But thinking about bearings brings me to "stupidest thing I'm lusting after": custom goalie gear from Battram. This has been a solid 10 years of lusting after, and I absolutely do not need anything that high quality for beer league roller hockey. I managed to replace my leg pads in early 2020 with something far more reasonable in spite of myself. Those remain pretty much brand new because "bought in early 2020" - they'd be close to new even without pandemic shutting hockey down for me. Stupider still because there are other parts of the gear that really do need to be replaced - upper body seems like the foam has just given up at this point and I could use a better fitting size on that regardless. So, don't need it, have much higher-priority stuff on the list, but still, I want new pads!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3061 on: May 18, 2021, 09:52:41 AM »
When I build my small house, I'll have "future" W/D hookups on the main floor (until then, it will be a closet).  There will be a large utility room with W/D in the basement (I'm used to laundry in the basement now, no big deal until I get old enough to not want to do stairs, hence the future W/D closet).  I've also considered getting a cheap used set installed in my garage.  That way I can walk in after yardwork, strip down, and just toss those clothes right in the wash.  Or use it for anything that is more "gross" than the usual laundry.  Or just do anything I want to line dry outside, that way I wouldn't have to haul wet clothes up stairs.  The garage set would be the second set.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3062 on: May 20, 2021, 03:52:14 AM »
Toyota Rav4 Prime SE......not happenin'!!!!!!!

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3063 on: May 20, 2021, 08:34:04 AM »
instead of the Tesla cyber truck (which my wife hates) i may need to lust after the new electric F150 or the Rivian

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3064 on: May 20, 2021, 09:19:03 AM »
instead of the Tesla cyber truck (which my wife hates) i may need to lust after the new electric F150 or the Rivian
I'm amazed the new F-150 Lightning starts at under $40k (before incentives). I think they are going to sell really well.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3065 on: May 20, 2021, 09:25:53 AM »
I'm amazed the new F-150 Lightning starts at under $40k (before incentives). I think they are going to sell really well.

I'm impatient for the full pricing list to come out - I really want to see where the 300 mi range model lands. I hope it'll be competitive with the Cybertruck on paper (range/towing vs price).

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3066 on: May 20, 2021, 10:44:06 AM »
I'm guessing they are going to sell as many as they can make for quite a while

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3067 on: May 20, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
I'm guessing they are going to sell as many as they can make for quite a while

They're already out of allocation for the first year's production.

joe189man

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3068 on: May 20, 2021, 11:04:15 AM »

I'm impatient for the full pricing list to come out - I really want to see where the 300 mi range model lands. I hope it'll be competitive with the Cybertruck on paper (range/towing vs price).

an article i say said an XLT model would be ~$54k not sure what range that one had, mid 4s for 0-60, 10k lbs towing, i think the biggest benefits to the electric F150 is the traditional pickup truck look from a well established brand and the price point being similar to gas engine pickups, rivians are ~$75k so $20k difference is huge in overall cost

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3069 on: May 20, 2021, 11:16:27 AM »

an article i say said an XLT model would be ~$54k not sure what range that one had, mid 4s for 0-60, 10k lbs towing, i think the biggest benefits to the electric F150 is the traditional pickup truck look from a well established brand and the price point being similar to gas engine pickups, rivians are ~$75k so $20k difference is huge in overall cost

I believe that's the 230 mi range version. The big competition will likely be the dual motor Cybertruck at mid 4's for 60, 300 mile range, and 10k lbs tow capacity for $49,900.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3070 on: May 21, 2021, 05:31:17 AM »
I know that I've posted this "lust" before in this thread, but the desire returns every year around this time: a covered back porch. We just got one quoted for $22k, which is about 40% of one year's investing, or at least another year added to our working lives.

I could use some facepunches to bring me back to reality.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3071 on: May 21, 2021, 08:00:29 AM »
Take $22,000, divide it by the number of hours you realistically expect to use it.  An hour a day for 6 months out of the year, so 180 hours per year?  If you're in the house for 5 years, you're spending $25 every time you step out on the patio.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3072 on: May 21, 2021, 08:03:43 AM »
I know that I've posted this "lust" before in this thread, but the desire returns every year around this time: a covered back porch. We just got one quoted for $22k, which is about 40% of one year's investing, or at least another year added to our working lives.

That doesn't sound like a stupid purchase. You will get some of it back when you sell your house, and in the meantime get to enjoy it.

That said, why not wait a year or two until building materials prices come back to earth? This craziness will pass.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3073 on: May 21, 2021, 08:12:27 AM »

What's the goal / use case?  Could you DIY a brick/stone patio and put something like this over it?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3074 on: May 21, 2021, 09:00:20 AM »

That doesn't sound like a stupid purchase. You will get some of it back when you sell your house, and in the meantime get to enjoy it.

That said, why not wait a year or two until building materials prices come back to earth? This craziness will pass.

It's not a given that it will be recouped on selling. When we sold our last place, an identical unit sold the same week with extensive outdoor space renovations. Both units sold for the exact same price.

It will depend on the market factors at the time, how well the reno holds up to trends, etc. If it's super dated by the time they sell, then it could just be seen as a liability.

This is really just a case of is it worth it compared to the long-term financial impact. Also, isn't there a huge premium on building right now?

Lastly, they're coming here and asking for face punches, which means that this is clearly not a purchase that they feel totally is worth the trade offs. The rest of the world will tell them "go for it!", so I think there's a lot of value in us here saying "whoa, a whole extra year of work is a lot of work...".

When we were contemplating the same type of reno, we eventually concluded that it wasn't worth it, and just bought some comfy outdoor furniture and called it a day.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #3075 on: May 21, 2021, 11:06:34 AM »

Your back porch, my expansion of master bath (built in 1952 so even the "big bathroom" is only 5' by 8' and that might be a little generous). I'll facepunch you whenever I see something about your renovation if you agree to facepunch me about mine. The longer these projects get deferred, the better both of our finances will be.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3076 on: May 21, 2021, 03:06:52 PM »

A whole year is a lot of time. Could you try out a sun sail/shade sail (whatever they call them, super popular in Australia to cover areas from some pretty hefty sunlight) and see if that meets the need?

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3077 on: May 21, 2021, 07:54:14 PM »
A new jet ski. Mine is a 2007 MY, with 500+ hours on it. Only 131 HP, top speed of ~ 55 mph.

New ski: better ergonomics, and ~ 180 hp, with top speed of 65 mph. Cost: $12k plus tax, etc.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3078 on: May 23, 2021, 07:35:18 PM »
Rolex Daytona Rainbow

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3079 on: May 23, 2021, 07:50:36 PM »
Rolex Daytona Rainbow
Dunno if they still do this, but in the olden days, when you bought a Rolex from a Rolex Dealer, they engraved your name on the back. I was dating a guy who wore one. He also drove an okay BMW sedan, in LA, where it didn't attract much notice. He was entering his car in a parking garage in Pacific Palisades (Hint: Not a crappy area. Opposite of crappy.) in broad daylight. He was accosted by a dude with a gun, who took his watch and his wallet.

Thereafter, boyfriend had to beat the bad guy home to get all his locks changed, followed by many sleepless nights.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3080 on: May 23, 2021, 07:56:26 PM »
That’s funny about the previous post...I’ve been lusting after a Rolex watch for some time.  I’ve been trying to get my boss to get me one (long story) but no dice.  So if I’m going to do it, it’s gonna have to be on my own.

Question:  is it better to buy a new one outright?  Or buy pre-owned?  And if pre-owned, any specific recommendations on where to buy?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3081 on: May 23, 2021, 08:06:04 PM »
That’s funny about the previous post...I’ve been lusting after a Rolex watch for some time.  I’ve been trying to get my boss to get me one (long story) but no dice.  So if I’m going to do it, it’s gonna have to be on my own.

Question:  is it better to buy a new one outright?  Or buy pre-owned?  And if pre-owned, any specific recommendations on where to buy?

Are you on Bogleheads? I guarantee you that they are well equipped to help you spend 5 figures on a watch.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3082 on: May 23, 2021, 08:11:08 PM »
I haven’t lusted after much for too long lately. FIRE is approaching faster than expected and my income is sky high so I’m getting a lot of my “buy for life” purchases out of the way as I won’t want to be buying them once I cut back on work.

This month I bought a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50’s reissue.
April I bought a Peloton
March a fully equipped Rogue home gym w/commercial flooring

Few other things like that. For my birthday I received a snap on tools gift card and a gift card to my favorite buy-for-life clothing place, so will likely get some stuff there next month.

Baby #1 is en route in a couple months and the nursery is mostly done, really just the stroller and a book shelf is left.

We’ve still saved about $50k this year so on a good track. Certainly spending a lot, but things that should last a LONG time. I’ve been working out non stop for 19 years, and the home gym is 1000x better than I could have expected.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3083 on: May 23, 2021, 08:12:08 PM »
Rolex Daytona Rainbow
Dunno if they still do this, but in the olden days, when you bought a Rolex from a Rolex Dealer, they engraved your name on the back. I was dating a guy who wore one. He also drove an okay BMW sedan, in LA, where it didn't attract much notice. He was entering his car in a parking garage in Pacific Palisades (Hint: Not a crappy area. Opposite of crappy.) in broad daylight. He was accosted by a dude with a gun, who took his watch and his wallet.

Thereafter, boyfriend had to beat the bad guy home to get all his locks changed, followed by many sleepless nights.

I guess there are some good things about living in Australia. We get paid less (professionals) and have less spending power but on the upside there's a lot less violent crime and (grown men at least) never have to be worried about our safety.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3084 on: May 23, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »

I don't know what it's like in the U.S. but in Australia stock for most of the popular models is severely limited and second hand market is way over RRP.

Here the rule is, if you want a nice watch, fly overseas [can't do that right now] and buy it cheaper elsewhere and just wear it on your wrist back to evade customs tax.

use2betrix

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3085 on: May 23, 2021, 08:19:28 PM »
Rolex Daytona Rainbow

I guess there are some good things about living in Australia. We get paid less (professionals) and have less spending power but on the upside there's a lot less violent crime and (grown men at least) never have to be worried about our safety.

That example above is pretty rare. I can’t ever recall knowing anyone that’s mentioned being mugged.

Only time I’ve ever been concerned of my safety was as I was stuck in the middle of some BLM terrorism/destruction rampages in Charleston last summer.

100’s of people with masks, bats, and destroying stores and lighting explosives will do that.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3086 on: May 23, 2021, 08:38:39 PM »
Yep wouldn't want to be driving a Ferrari in the middle of one of those riots. Easy lightning rod for unjustified abuse.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3087 on: May 23, 2021, 08:59:04 PM »
Yep wouldn't want to be driving a Ferrari in the middle of one of those riots. Easy lightning rod for unjustified abuse.

I mean...you wouldn't want to drive any car down the middle of a riot.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3088 on: May 23, 2021, 09:51:30 PM »
Rolex Daytona Rainbow

Producer Michael, is that you?  ;)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3089 on: May 23, 2021, 10:24:01 PM »

Perhaps a Marauder?

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3090 on: May 24, 2021, 05:25:09 AM »

Perhaps a Marauder?

Oh that was delightful.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3091 on: May 24, 2021, 07:59:01 AM »

Are you on Bogleheads? I guarantee you that they are well equipped to help you spend 5 figures on a watch.

LOL, no, just on here :)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3092 on: May 24, 2021, 08:07:20 AM »

Well, I saw many threads on Rolex watches there before I bailed because I fucking hated being there. But yeah, they're very equipped me will be happy to help you. That's not an unusual topic there at all.

Captain Cactus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3093 on: May 24, 2021, 11:39:14 AM »

At this point in my life I find that I enjoy the process of researching, thinking about, learning the ins and outs of things that I could buy...more than the act of actually buying stuff.  The crap my wife would give me about buying a Rolex... it just wouldn't be worth it.  She still gives me a hard time about my new bike I got (after 25 years using my old one...), suggesting/implying that I could have "made do" with my old one for...the rest of my life. 

I'm moving into a new job at the same company and I just closed an absolutely huge deal for which I will realize no financial gain because I'm moving into a new role.  So I'm trying to get him to buy me a Rolex as a parting gift.  Not going to happen...that would be the only way I could get one, if it was given to me.  It's like the only way we would go on a trip to Hawaii was by winning a sales award and having it gifted to us. 

Well, I saw many threads on Rolex watches there before I bailed because I fucking hated being there. But yeah, they're very equipped me will be happy to help you. That's not an unusual topic there at all.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3094 on: May 24, 2021, 01:30:19 PM »
A new jet ski. Mine is a 2007 MY, with 500+ hours on it. Only 131 HP, top speed of ~ 55 mph.

New ski: better ergonomics, and ~ 180 hp, with top speed of 65 mph. Cost: $12k plus tax, etc.

65mph?  Really?  Why? 

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3095 on: May 24, 2021, 11:34:28 PM »

65mph?  Really?  Why?

Because mine tops out at 50, is 15 years old, and I regularly ride with others who cruise at higher speeds. I am literally left behind on the 120 mile rides we do. It gets old.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3096 on: May 24, 2021, 11:38:02 PM »
Suppressed HK SP5K SBR, complete with two ATF tax stamps.

Bloop Bloop Reloaded

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3097 on: May 25, 2021, 02:48:36 AM »
Who would you shoot with it first?

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #3098 on: May 25, 2021, 06:46:27 AM »

Perhaps a Marauder?

Oh that was delightful.

Perfect for the Johannesburg rush hour traffic. That is a hellhole wrt traffic.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3099 on: May 25, 2021, 07:19:09 AM »

LMAO galore on the Petrocelli thread at BH on Rolexes. The mental gymnastics on that site to justify is Olympic-level. Just a reactionary "fuuuuucccccck" response got me banned from that site (not the Rolex thread but another one).
BH could do with a few face punches.

Back on topic: ponied up a $100 for a spot on the F-150 Lightning list. But having seen the new Ford Bronco and Land Rover Defender in person, I want them both. And the Lightning too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2021, 07:21:22 AM by jinga nation »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!