Author Topic: What's the right attitude for a former poor person who is now "rich"?  (Read 19214 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: What's the right attitude for a former poor person who is now "rich"?
« Reply #200 on: December 16, 2019, 01:52:10 PM »
Just a me too comment to say that the Navy was a very, very good for me. Taught me how to work hard and not give up. Readjusted my yardstick for what is really hard. How to be a good engineer. Also helped pay for college and helped DW and I buy nice homes (VA loans). Did not retire from the military. I was too "young" (stupid) to appreciate all the opportunities when I was in the Navy though I did okay.

I don't always like or agree with our gov't's priorities either. I'm not a flag waving patriot eager to blindly listen to pep-rally style speeches - especially from the current president. There are times when this is certainly a tool to get people all riled up and ready to take rash actions that benefits the people at the top the most. Lots of broken bodies come back from wars. Diplomacy is seldom fully utilized in my opinion. 

I too would like to see more WPA/CCC style projects. Don't forget that TVA came out of the WPA projects. That transformed life in the south for millions of people. Plenty of work that needs to be done right here in the USA and plenty of youth that would benefit from a military like living/work experience without the potential violence. There are projects for youth that have potential but they don't get enough funding or attention. The trades apprenticeship programs are a great resource for a non-college path to success.

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/more/generation-next
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation_for_National_and_Community_Service

In addition to IQ, a person needs to consider character traits. Its not that I'm smart per say but that I'm stubborn. I'll work on a problem until its fixed whereas I have seen others will give it a quick shot and declare the problem hopeless. Something needs doing and I don't know how? I can teach myself given enough time and information availability. Alot of people won't do that. Its a grown up version of my kids declaring they can't find their shoes/socks/keys/whatever after the briefest glance around the room without looking under anything that might be covering the missing object.

And DadJokes, I'm with you. Not very emotionally intelligent either. Working on that.

EscapedApe

• Stubble
« Reply #201 on: December 16, 2019, 04:05:08 PM »
I won't comment on what's morally right. But I will comment on what's effective.

If you were once poor, but are now rich:
  • Maintain your poor spending habits.
  • Don't tell anyone that you're rich, or even intimate that you might be.
  • Develop a deep, resonating belly laugh to be used on anyone who suggests you be anywhere before 8am.

Shane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #202 on: December 16, 2019, 07:04:36 PM »
^Dude...I literally never understand the point you are trying to make when you quote stuff.

^^^ +1 lol

FIREby35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #203 on: December 17, 2019, 02:51:38 PM »
I'm going to lift a quote from another thread, because I think it is absolutely appropriate.

On a micro level, it is counter-productive to get into a mindset of "things are stacked against me, nothing I can do", regardless of things being stacked or not. And, while post-war working class prosperity is gone and is not coming back, America still offers plenty of opportunity - you only need to look at the flow of immigrants to recognize that.

On a macro level, it is important to recognize that opportunity is not equally distributed, that most of other developed countries have higher levels of upward mobility, and that too many Americans are growing up in environments where staying out of prison is an achievement in and of itself. So, while it is tempting to say "just do X and Y, and you'll be fine", it is not helpful (or fair), either.

To the original poster: enjoy the successes of your hard work.  As someone who grew up poor and is now rich you've beaten the odds, and you should be proud of that.

At the same time, you should recognize - probably moreso than others, given your life experience - that life is emphatically *NOT FAIR*, especially so for those who are born poor or face other structural disadvantages.  In a perfect world?  You can be a role model to show people what is *possible*, while still recognizing(and possibly speaking to) the structural disadvantages you overcame, that we as a society are currently doing a poor job of addressing.

Actually, that is kind of what I was thinking. You have answered succinctly and I agree. I'm fortunate enough to have made my money while fighting unjust systems on behalf of the weak. For me it was a  journey on an uncommon path for an attorney (independent from day 1) and representing individuals (never represented a corporation or big institution, just people). Some of my clients didn't deserve the representation I gave them - i.e. their cause was not just. But, I've learned to see situations where I can do justice and strike a blow for the little person. Well, I'm still learning. But, I'm doing better each time I try.

The other side is, as you work with people who have so very little and maybe are struggling under truly systematic problems (not like the person in the original link) - how do you speak to them to inspire them into believing they can escape negative cycles. That is a person to person task. So, I'll keep trying. I'll keep looking for the exact right attitude.

Interesting convo to all the rest.

pecunia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #204 on: December 26, 2019, 06:59:38 PM »
To Fireny35 - Keep at it.  There are too many people out there trying to crush the human spirit.  It is good to see an exception.