Author Topic: What's the deal with student loans?  (Read 26399 times)

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
What's the deal with student loans?
« on: November 05, 2012, 12:04:39 PM »
There seems to be a pretty common factor in many of the stories and case studies posted here, which are really huge student loan balances that people are graduating with. Just out of curiosity, what's the deal with that, is this the new normal? I'd love to hear people's stories, did they know what they were getting into, did it make sense for them or was there "no other choice", etc.?

I'm 20+ years out of college, so it's very possible things have changed a lot. Yes, I realize college tuition has greatly outpaced inflation lately, and so on. *

How is it that people are ending up with such huge loans in school nowadays, and what's to be done about it besides having rich, generous parents?

* FWIW, I was a 100% need-based financial aid case, so I was not getting through on parental support. I got through with a combination of grants, scholarships, loans -- and lots of work study, which is an excellent program to help avoid large loan balances when you get out. Ironically, my work study job was to be a financial aid counselor, and I can say I never saw such gigantic loan balances with the thousands of students I counseled, even adjusted for today's $$$. And this was during the domestically lean Reagan/Bush years, when far less govt. assistance was provided for education.

twinge

• Bristles
Re: What's the deal with student loans?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
One key aspect of this is that states are not pitching in nearly as much to fund public universities--or to student granting programs as they have in the past.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/education/24tuition.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Thus tuition/fees are higher AND there are far fewer grant programs.  Most financial aid packages involve loans.
Private colleges actually become more affordable in many cases for high achieving students because they have greater flexibility in offering grant merit awards.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
Seems like a lot of the student loan horror stories involve people who took out absurdly-large (relative to future earning potential) loans, either to live comfortably while a student, or to attend an expensive big-name private school like Harvard or Yale instead of the local State U.

It's important to remember that the horror stories are the outliers.  Most people took out sensible loans, got their education, and are paying (or have paid) them back.  I took out loans twice, for an undergrad degree back in the '80s, and for grad school in the '90s.  In both cases, the loans were repaid within about 3-4 years of graduation.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 09:46:55 PM by Jamesqf »

Mickijune

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
Regarding the financial aid process, I'm sure it's changed a lot. My parents are both life-long daily grind type people. They both work 40+ hours a week for "normal" pay (or what I see as normal). Total they make about $80k or so a year. That was enough for me to supposedly be reliant on them for 100% of my tuition, which in reality they couldn't contribute anything with my two younger sisters still at home. So, a majority of my tuition and other school-related stuff was covered with loans. Loans to the tune of $84,000 (that includes interest accrued during in school deferment also).

I doubt my college experience was typical, but the gist of it was: Went out of state at a 4 year university, mostly because they offered me a spot in the honors program (mistake #1) and stayed on campus for one year (mistake #2). Worked two minimum wage jobs and still took out loans over and above what I really needed (mistake #3). At the end of year 2 got pregnant. Moved back to home state and took online classes (just as expensive as out-of-state) while working full time (more loans). I got my degree and it's totally useless for me now. This seems to be the story I hear most from others. Basically, I had no idea what I was getting into.

But hey, I'm hoping to pay off the student loans in 5 years or less, with a household income of approx. $62k (take home). And that's at the status quo, hoping to increase our income asap and also cut more expenses. Talk about a tall order....but after finding MMM, we can do it!

savingtofreedom

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:29:06 PM »
I always wondered this too.   I graduated college 10 years ago.  I only applied to one in state public school b/c I was too cheap to look at anything out of state/private.  With scholarships school was pretty much free.  I wish there was more of an emphasis on the following when high schoolers decide what college they will attend:

- a summary of the total cost of college and different paths they can take to lower that cost
  - 2 year community college to college
  - public state schools instead of out of state and private

- an understanding of the job opportunities associated with the majors you are interested in as well as the earning potential of those majors
   - I think this is very important

- with the explosion of internet learning - I have to think that some portion of college can be delivered via the internet at a lower cost (I don't know how this will work out and I only think a portion of classes should be offered this way)

To twinge's point, less scholarship and public funding will continue to make college more rather than less expensive. 

skyrefuge

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 08:46:16 PM »
I'm 20+ years out of college, so it's very possible things have changed a lot. Yes, I realize college tuition has greatly outpaced inflation lately, and so on.

I thought I realized this too, but it didn't sink in until I looked up my records recently and did the math.

I started in the highly-respected Engineering department at the University of Illinois in 1995.  I paid $4234 in tuition and fees that first year.

A general CPI calculation shows that $4234 in 1995 should have inflated to $6429 by 2012, 17 years later.

Instead, an incoming freshman must pay $19880.  That's nearly 5 TIMES this price I paid.

Holy shit.

Just the fees in 2012 ($3324) are nearly as much as I paid in tuition ($3500).  Tuition and fees for my ENTIRE college education (admittedly completed in only 3 years) cost $13,319,  more than $6500 less than a single year today.  I imagine a student starting today would look at the cost I paid and assume I was talking about 1895 prices rather than 1995: "lol, yeah, you paid $13k for your whole UofI education?  And a loaf of bread cost a nickel too, right?"

And that's just tuition and fees.  If we include the University's prices and estimates for room & board, books, and miscellaneous, the one-year total soars to $33922. 

Makes me realize how lucky I was to get in and out when I did, and while many people suffering under heavy student loan debt surely can be criticized for not making the most financially-prudent choices, I think this shows that the wider economic forces have made it much harder to win at that game than it was for us a couple decades ago.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:03:27 AM »
I personally believe the easy of access to student loans is in itself what has caused the tuition costs to soar.

It's a basic supply/demand situation.

SweetTPi

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 07:07:36 AM »
This thread made me curious, even though I didn't have student loans.  I am fortunate to have mustachian-esque parents who paid for the cost of my degree not covered by a fairly significant scholarship (10k per year, nearly half of the cost).  Plus, I think my parents were rather happy I decided that I would rather go to the out-of-state public school than the $$ fancy private school.  I'm not sure if I would have graduated loan free if I had gone to one of the private schools.

So, back on topic, I hunted down some numbers.

I headed off to college in he fall of 2002, 10 years ago.  I found this on my school's website (University of Delaware):

http://www.udel.edu/IR/fnf/fees.html

Going off of the 2012 numbers (current admissions page) vs the 2002 numbers, as an out of state student:

2002 cost (est) = $21,100
2012 cost (est) = $39,800

Holy S^*&!

9+ percent tuition increases multiple years in a row?  Even in state costs have gone from $11,600 to $22,700.  What the f*^@?

So now I have less annoyance at students who feel like they have to take loans, because I'm not sure that I would have made it loan free at those rates.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:55:22 AM »
I live in Canada.  I went to a university, and I have a B.Sc.  Tuition was something like $2300/semester when I started, and more like $2700/semester at the end.  I went to school for 5.5 years (yay for not knowing what I wanted to take at the beginning).

My parents paid for my first year, in combination with a $2400 scholarship.  I think they paid for my winter semester's tuition in the 2nd and 3rd year as well.  I paid the rest, through scholarships and summer jobs. I took out a student loan for my last year ($4200) because I thought there was a decent chance that I wouldn't have a job immediately (student loans here are from the government and are interest-free until you graduate, and you get 6 months of no payments), and I wanted some cushion to live on.  I had a job by June, and had the loan paid off by October (I think).

I can't believe how much it costs in the US for a 4 year degree!  I think I'd be working in the trades, if I was American.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 07:56:46 AM »
I started in 2002, and finished in 2008.  My husband finished school this year, and his last semester was ~$3200.

I still can't get over how much you guys are paying in the states!

James

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »
I personally believe the easy of access to student loans is in itself what has caused the tuition costs to soar.

I agree, it's just like what third party payers have done to health care.

No one is willing to limit their demand for quality and quantity of education and health care, and money is not directly limited by the consumer, so increases in both are out of control.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 08:23:00 AM »
One key aspect of this is that states are not pitching in nearly as much to fund public universities--or to student granting programs as they have in the past.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/education/24tuition.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Partly the case, but not the whole story. Part of the problem is that universities (public and private) are spending far too much money on adding to their campus (new buildings, dorms, etc) and trying to make themselves research institutions and paying professors and administration ever increasing pay and benefits.   And why not, if you can jack up tuition at 7% year in and year out.

I agree, it's just like what third party payers have done to health care.

No one is willing to limit their demand for quality and quantity of education and health care, and money is not directly limited by the consumer, so increases in both are out of control.

+1.  More money thrown at a problem without any real controls results in significant inflation.

CB

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54:04 AM »
Partly the case, but not the whole story. Part of the problem is that universities (public and private) are spending far too much money on adding to their campus (new buildings, dorms, etc) and trying to make themselves research institutions and paying professors and administration ever increasing pay and benefits.   And why not, if you can jack up tuition at 7% year in and year out.

Academic faculty salaries generally track inflation.  Administrative pay (and growth in number of administrative positions) has outpaced inflation and is a primary culprit in tuition increases.  I recently quit a faculty position because I had a meager one-time 1.7% raise over a six year period.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »
There are a lot of things at work here.

Easy access to loans HAS contributed to the increase in tuition.  But even more pervasive is the ideal that is jammed down every kids throat: "You have to go to college to succeed, no matter what, no matter what it takes... and the bigger the name of the school the better."

I went to undergraduate college from 99-03. It was an out-of-state public school, and my parents had no money to give me.  I ended up with roughly $80k in loans.  I will tell you that for me, and for many other kids out there, they have no concept of what that sort of debt does to their day-to-day quality of life, or what sort of burden it is.  They simply know that they need to get loans to pay for school.

I consider myself lucky.  I had $80k in loans, but a starting salary of $55k.  So, a debt-to-income of 1.45x.  I'm seeing more and more examples of kids today coming out with $100k+ loans, for a job getting them $30k/yr.  That is just poor planning.

There are a lot of things driving this problem.  Not to sound like a talking point on a talkshow or anything, but I truly believe that this is the next "bubble" in the economy... with the problem that it can't actually burst, because this debt can't be bankrupted away.

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:33:49 AM »

I partly agree with this, but also disagree.   Points of agreement: 1) as the shift to loans happened and state funding was dramatically decreased in many areas, schools became more dependent on tuition and students became viewed more as "customers." In the late 1990s early 2000s there seems to have been an increasing competition to please these 18 year olds with the things they would like (e.g., fancy gyms, more apartment-like dorms) in order to compete. The thing was, this paid off.  If you could make yourself desirable to 18 year olds you had enrollment levels that made it less likely you would need large tuition hikes.
But this trend has been dying out somewhat in the past 5 years or so --maybe because students became more savvy or it became harder to differentiate a place with luxuries when everyone has them.
2) Administration has higher growth in salaries-and the gap between administration pay and faculty pay is wider than ever before.  Adminstrators are more like executives now than scholars and they are often evaluated more on their fundraising than support for academic quality.  There is a strong pressure towards constant growth rather than stability.

Points of disagreement:

1)  On average in the past decade multiple large studies have shown decreased relative salaries for professors (Chronicle of Higher Education published a review of a couple of large scale decade long studies that documented this extensively--being a professor has become dramatically more competitive with less real financial compensation in salary and benefits). Professors are relatively poorly paid  compared to their own past and to the present considering the level of education required (and foregone salary to get it) and how much is expected of them.  To become a professor at the associate level at a Research I institution you are typically expected to be bringing in grant funding that is often 5x your salary on an annual basis , conducting significant research--and mentoring doctoral students to do research--  publishing, earning top teaching ratings etc., mentoring a large group of graduate students and teaching undergrads.  The demands on professors have increased and the rewards have decreased. They are not reaping the benefits of high cost education.

2) Research funding generally improves the value for students and lowers the real costs (and also provides the second most important public good of a university after education).   A sizeable percentage of funds goes for supporting university operations.  The issue is that schools need to make honest assessments of whether their investments to be competitive in research are paying off adequately.  Many ones are---but others are investing in research with the hopes that they can  continue to grow despite loss of  state funds  but without reasonable payout in terms of research funding (especially as federal, corporate and private sources dwindle) and the costs get born by the students in tuition hikes, and faculty/staff in stagnant wages, increased responsibilities, and greater use of very cheap adjunct faculty--PHds who essentially make near minimum wage teaching a course if you count the real hours involved.

In my view we need to be more imaginative: for instance, get more public support for colleges at the state level maybe in exchange for some percentages etc. on the benefits of research (e.g. patents, highly trained workers in needed areas) --the business/research collaboratives in higher ed are making incredible gains in some fields, but private companies are often siphoning off the gains from the investment made in research to higher ed.  Our current way of thinking through this is wrong.  If a public institution invests in expensive biomedical research gets the basic research done in a wide range and then a private industry can patent a product that involves just doing one step beyond the most commercially profitable aspect of the research, then there's a huge loss for the university.  We haven't yet figured out good models of balancing the public model of open-shared research with the business model of proprietary information.

2) on the teaching side,maybe decide that some institutions--and not just liberal arts colleges--are going to be kickass, highly competitive schools known for their teaching.  Using all that we know about cognitive science, pedagogy, assessment--really ensure that students learn both broad skills like critical and complex thinking in a range of domains and specialized skills in a discipline.  Professors would be assessed on their ability to keep current on and understand the research in their field and teach it to others--rather than publishing in a narrow area. This is not as  expensive as gambling on turning your institution into a research institution--and students could be sent to research 1 institutions for their more hands-on work with research.  And many more generalist scholars might prefer to be able to read broadly, synthesize etc. than becoming the increasingly specialized folks the academic market demands.

Ok...off my higher ed soapbox...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 10:36:37 AM by twinge »

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:41 AM »
Seems like a lot of the student loan horror stories involve people who took out absurdly-large (relative to future earning potential) loans, either to live comfortably while a student, or to attend an expensive big-name private school like Harvard or Yale instead of the local State U.
Harvard & Yale (as well as most of the rest of the Ivy League) are both quite affordable for those who can get in, as the schools are extremely well-endowed & give out very generous scholarships to anyone who isn't from an extremely rich family. My friend from high school is from a poor family and is getting paid to go to Yale. The "big names" high on this list will probably result in a student doing fine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

I personally ended up with around $27k in student loan debt as a 2010 graduate of a modestly-endowed private university studying computer engineering, but ended up with a very nice salary that allowed me to pay it off in about a year; this was helped by living with graduate students my first year out of school, so I hung out with small spenders.

The real trouble comes from going to a big-name school with a small endowment, such as NYU (which is even worse because it's in an expensive place to live and many of its degrees are in the arts), especially for a degree with low prospects for high-paying employment. Law school today is also a terrible deal, as the tuition is extremely high and rarely offset with scholarships, and the employment prospects are not very good.

There is also a terrible industry of for-profit schools that do their best to extract the maximum federal aid & loans from students while offering them very little in education, or a program comparable to the local trade school for 10x the price. The students often receive nothing of value in exchange for a mountain of nondischargable debt.

The problem is compounded because student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, so there are no consequences to anyone other than the borrower (a/k/a an ignorant 18 to 22 year-old) for issuing a loan that can't be reasonably repaid. If student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy, lenders wouldn't loan to students with unreasonable prospects for employment, driving schools that screw students to lower tuition or leave the market, and students would be able to escape the debt trap.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
....But even more pervasive is the ideal that is jammed down every kids throat: "You have to go to college to succeed, no matter what, no matter what it takes... and the bigger the name of the school the better."

I agree with this, which is also why the college drop out rate is increasing and it is taking longer for students to graduate.  People who aren't college oriented are now going to college because they "Have to"

I went to undergraduate college from 99-03. It was an out-of-state public school, and my parents had no money to give me.  I ended up with roughly $80k in loans. 

I think you are hitting on another part of the problem and is due to a combination ignorance and entitlement.  I went to a in-state school, lived with family, and worked and still came out with about $20k in debt.  I am not saying it was because I was informed and lacked any entitlement...it was probably because a barely graduated high school, college was not on my radar, and even if it was I would not have gotten in or been able to afford other options. People who go to out of state or private schools should not be doing so if they can't afford it.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 10:44:28 AM »
Harvard & Yale (as well as most of the rest of the Ivy League) are both quite affordable for those who can get in, as the schools are extremely well-endowed & give out very generous scholarships to anyone who isn't from an extremely rich family. My friend from high school is from a poor family and is getting paid to go to Yale. The "big names" high on this list will probably result in a student doing fine:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_colleges_and_universities_in_the_United_States_by_endowment

I personally ended up with around $27k in student loan debt (plus around $4000 owed to my parents) as a 2010 graduate of a modestly-endowed private university studying computer engineering, but ended up with a very nice salary that allowed me to pay it off in about a year (in addition to purchasing a used car in cash, which I've since sold); this was helped by living with graduate students my first year out of school, so I hung out with small spenders.

The real trouble comes from going to a big-name school with a small endowment, such as NYU (which is even worse because it's in an expensive place to live and many of its degrees are in the arts), especially for a degree with low prospects for high-paying employment. Law school today is also a terrible deal, as the tuition is extremely high and rarely offset with scholarships, and the employment prospects are not very good.

There is also a terrible industry of for-profit schools that do their best to extract the maximum federal aid & loans from students while offering them very little in education, or a program comparable to the local trade school for 10x the price. The students often receive nothing of value in exchange for a mountain of nondischargable debt.

The problem is compounded because student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, so there are no consequences to anyone other than the borrower (a/k/a an ignorant 18 to 22 year-old) for issuing a loan that can't be reasonably repaid. If student loans could be discharged in bankruptcy, lenders wouldn't loan to students with unreasonable prospects for employment, driving schools that screw students to lower tuition or leave the market, and students would be able to escape the debt trap.

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »

+1 for this.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »
Twinge - I hear you but they don't exactly have deprived life and while their pay may flat (like everyone else in the US) they also get fairly high benefits packages.

To become a professor at the associate level at a Research I institution you are typically expected to be bringing in grant funding that is often 5x your salary on an annual basis

Wow, that is deplorable and such a crazy rediculous standar....except of course when you compare it to that I am expected to bring in 20x of my salary and that probably gets me a below average rating and little if any bonus.

Otherwise I agree completely with your point about research institutions doing the heavy lifting and then some company takes it and makes a ton with little going back to the university. 

The problem is that I don't think every university is qualified to really do the work or even quantify the ROI....like everything else the pool gets diluted as it expands.  Also there are universities that are doing this without state/federal funding being the primary funding source - many times these are schools that coincidentally have top tier business schools. 

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 11:03:33 AM »

I think you are right -- a lot of things contributing, including the factors put forth by others in the discussion. It seems the primary problem is students not going in with their eyes open. It is really hard for me to imagine leaving college with $100k+, 200k+ in loans. You had really better have a solid game plan for earning a lot of $$$ when you get out to have that kind of debt hanging over you.

I wonder if students/parents don't understand the federal work study program and always opt for loans instead. Work study jobs pay a ridiculously high amount because they are subsidized. When I was in school, I got paid about triple what I would have earned in a non-work study job, and the jobs themselves must be designed to give you good experience for when you graduate (i.e., they are not service jobs in fast food, they are usually semi-professional positions, internships, or jobs in labs, etc.). The board advertising the vacancies was always full of unfilled positions.

Students today really should look into it! Rather than 100% in loans, I took about 85% in work study, and 15% in loans. I only had to work 10-15 hours a week getting great experience that helped after graduation, and therefore owed only about $4000-5000 when I finished.

twinge

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »
Wow, that is deplorable and such a crazy rediculous standar....except of course when you compare it to that I am expected to bring in 20x of my salary and that probably gets me a below average rating and little if any bonus.

Well, considering that the research funding--writing the proposals, getting the funding, doing the research is supposed to only max out 10% of a professor's time during the academic year (10 months) the standard still holds.  The bulk of a professors worth still comes from the students they teach, the programs they develop, the publications they develop, new knowledge created.  That funding generated is just to support the work.  The benefits of the work--in new knowledge, new patents, new techniques are often way beyond that.

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »

It is really hard for me to imagine leaving college with $100k+, 200k+ in loans. You had really better have a solid game plan for earning a lot of $$$ when you get out to have that kind of debt hanging over you.

I wonder if students/parents don't understand the federal work study program and always opt for loans instead.

Adult-me would say the same thing about having the debt looming over me after graduation.  18-year-old-me just didn't know what $80k even really meant.  "Oh, I'll be making good money when I get out" was a pervasive thought for many.  It has led kids down bad roads lately.

I really don't think a lot of students know anything about the options out there.  When I was in school, I worked 10hrs a week grading math homework as a TA. This only paid a little more than minimum wage though.  I wasn't aware of anything better, and it really only paid for my grocery bills.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:31 AM »
I started in 2002, and finished in 2008.  My husband finished school this year, and his last semester was ~$3200.

I still can't get over how much you guys are paying in the states!

Depends on where you go.  Resident undergrad tuition & fees at the local school (U of Nevada) this semester are $3144 for a standard 16 credit course load. (Plus a $7/credit surcharge for some tech courses, and some lab fees where applicable.)  So not a lot of difference IF you pick your school.

Then too, a lot depends on what you get your degree in.  In my own case, for the first couple of years I was literally a starving student.  Then in my junior year I got a tech internship with a local company, and was making more than enough to live on.  If you're one of those "follow your passion", and your passion isn't in demand, you are likely to rack up unpayable debts.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 11:13:47 AM »

I think you are right -- a lot of things contributing, including the factors put forth by others in the discussion. It seems the primary problem is students not going in with their eyes open. It is really hard for me to imagine leaving college with $100k+, 200k+ in loans. You had really better have a solid game plan for earning a lot of $$$ when you get out to have that kind of debt hanging over you.

I wonder if students/parents don't understand the federal work study program and always opt for loans instead. Work study jobs pay a ridiculously high amount because they are subsidized. When I was in school, I got paid about triple what I would have earned in a non-work study job, and the jobs themselves must be designed to give you good experience for when you graduate (i.e., they are not service jobs in fast food, they are usually semi-professional positions, internships, or jobs in labs, etc.). The board advertising the vacancies was always full of unfilled positions.

Students today really should look into it! Rather than 100% in loans, I took about 85% in work study, and 15% in loans. I only had to work 10-15 hours a week getting great experience that helped after graduation, and therefore owed only about $4000-5000 when I finished.

You can only get work-study jobs if you're awarded them as part of a financial aid package, and the number has been cut:
http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2010/07/20/government-cuts-thousands-of-college-work-study-jobs
The pay is usually minimum wage or only a bit higher these days. For other part time jobs, there's competition from all the people out of work, and you usually have real work rather than having to staff a library where you can study most of the time.

But when just tuition for even a cheap local state school is $10,000 a year (e.g. my hometown state school: http://www4.uwm.edu/bfs/depts/bursar/tuition/fall12ug.cfm), working 10 or 15 hours a week at minimum wage won't come close to covering it.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 11:26:08 AM »

You can only get work-study jobs if you're awarded them as part of a financial aid package, and the number has been cut:
http://www.usnews.com/education/articles/2010/07/20/government-cuts-thousands-of-college-work-study-jobs
The pay is usually minimum wage or only a bit higher these days. For other part time jobs, there's competition from all the people out of work, and you usually have real work rather than having to staff a library where you can study most of the time.

Correct, work study is need-based just like need-based loans. So, it's a wash -- if you qualify for loans (government-insured loans that is, not loans from a private lender), then you'll qualify for work study too.

If the spokesperson for the Dept. of Education cited in the article is to be believed, then the number of jobs is actually just back to historical norms after a temporary increase from stimulus funding (i.e., there is no decrease in jobs from the usual level). I am admittedly not up to date on the current situation in work study jobs at different campuses, but I'd still be willing to wager that this is an overlooked resource for many students.

And here's the other thing -- if you absolutely cannot find a work study job, all you have to do is go to the financial aid office and ask them to convert the amount you couldn't use to a loan instead. So, you're certainly no worse off for trying to get a work study job.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 11:34:02 AM »

Correct, work study is need-based just like need-based loans. So, it's a wash -- if you qualify for loans (government-insured loans that is, not loans from a private lender), then you'll qualify for work study too.
My student aid packages had federally-subsidized loans, but no work-study funding. I was able to find non-work-study jobs on campus, fortunately, but there were some jobs that I was not eligible for.

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 12:17:21 PM »

My student aid packages had federally-subsidized loans, but no work-study funding. I was able to find non-work-study jobs on campus, fortunately, but there were some jobs that I was not eligible for.

Exactly -- when I was in school, there was only a tiny little check box on the financial aid application that asked something like "would you prefer loans, work, or both?" It would be real easy to check the box that says "Loan Only" (who wants to work?!). And that check box was on an application that was filled out about a year before you even started college, so it was quickly forgotten. That's why I'm guessing it's a very overlooked resource for many students, and a factor in why they end up with such huge loan balances when it could have been otherwise. This is only one factor though, no doubt all the other factors (like rising costs, higher enrollments, etc.) also factor in.

To really age myself, when I graduated the minimum wage was $3.35/hr (!), but my work study job paid $13.00/hr since it was federally subsidized. That was a gigantic amount of money for a college student, and made the difference between me being broke both during school, and when graduating.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 12:35:30 PM »

Exactly -- when I was in school, there was only a tiny little check box on the financial aid application that asked something like "would you prefer loans, work, or both?" It would be real easy to check the box that says "Loan Only" (who wants to work?!). And that check box was on an application that was filled out about a year before you even started college, so it was quickly forgotten. That's why I'm guessing it's a very overlooked resource for many students, and a factor in why they end up with such huge loan balances when it could have been otherwise. This is only one factor though, no doubt all the other factors (like rising costs, higher enrollments, etc.) also factor in.

To really age myself, when I graduated the minimum wage was $3.35/hr (!), but my work study job paid $13.00/hr since it was federally subsidized. That was a gigantic amount of money for a college student, and made the difference between me being broke both during school, and when graduating.
My parents had to fill out the FAFSA every year, and surely checked the work study option; they always expected me to work, and I did, but I didn't get work-study, maybe because my parents too much money. I don't think anyone I knew in college was making more than $10 an hour or so, even with a work study job. I think I made around $8 an hour.

The article also quotes average work-study pay as $1500 per academic year, which will maybe cover a semester of food, maybe a year on a poverty diet. Looking up some more statistics, there's funding for 768,000 work-study jobs, but there are 21 million college students. I don't think the opportunities you had are available to everyone today, unfortunately.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 02:50:52 PM »
A few additional comments on the issue:

When I was an undergrad, students were often able to pay for their tuition/fees/books/room and board on the basis of a summer job and a work study program.  Sure, you were poor.  Today teens are lucky to find a summer job that puts a significant dent into the cost of college.

I am the parent of a college student who attends a private school with a generous merit scholarship.  We saved for his education  (hence he has no loans for the remaining costs) but I am surprised at how many of our peers have not put money aside.  They have operated under the assumption that their kids would earn free ride academic or sports scholarships. (All those years of special sports coaching were supposed to pay off.) Or that their teen's job as a grocery bagger would pay for college--because that was true when they attended college.

There is another situation at play with students attending public universities.  Theoretically a student should be able to graduate in four years.  But there have been such deep cuts at some of these schools that few sections of required courses are being offered.  One of my son's friends begged and cajoled to gain admission into a necessary class.  She was lucky but she reported that she knew students who were being forced to attend school for an additional semester through no fault of their own.  For this reason some of the private liberal arts schools are actually pitching parents that students will graduate in four years.

Irishmam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 07:51:43 PM »
Oldest DS has a work study that pays $10 / hour. He works in the Computer Department, no time to study. Merit scholarships have made his private university cheaper than the state flagship which costs $24,000 / year. I second the issues cited above at large in state university, with difficulty in accessing classes and huge Freshman classes ( 300 students in Eng 101).
I don't understand why more people are not upset at the exorbitant costs of education.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:52 PM »
In addition to those work-study jobs, there are (at least in science & engineering) quite a few opportunities for research & teaching assistantships, which locally pay something like $15/hour plus tuition rebates.  They're hard to get before reaching junior/senior year, though.

There are also internships, which - unlike the unpaid internships that seem to be the norm in some business & media tracks - can pay anything from reasonable wages to better than median income. 

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 06:19:06 AM »
This is an interesting topic to me. I came from a family that always encouraged a college education (even though only one parent had a college degree) . It wasn't ever really a question of not going.... In my first year I was young and stupid and got terrible grades and my parents decided that they wouldn't pay for that so I was on my own... Eventually, after some time in the military, I decided that an education was the only way to get ahead. I used my GI bill as far as I could take it and ended up with tons of student loan debt from grad school. 

I continued to pursue this education as it seemed that the Bachelors degree was the new high school diploma... I came to this conclusion after speaking with a friend in retail.. The man has over 20+ years of retail management experience. He went to Target looking for a position and was told by the 20something manager that they wouldn't even consider him for a management position if he did not have a 4 year degree!  Target!

Anyway, while I am now in debt with student loans I think it might have been worth it in the long run... I suppose picking a good degree might have something to do with it. I have encouraged my nephews to go to school because I don't see how else people are able to get their foot in the door to better paying careers... They, too, will have student loans.  I can only hope that they choose a major that gets them somewhere...

Luckily, I have found MMM and have a new "vision" for my life so my student loans will be paid sooner than later and hopefully this experience will help me to help my friends and family to see the light.

Nudelkopf

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 02:19:25 PM »
After reading this, I'm pretty happy I don't live in America. Or at the very least, I don't have to study in America. The idea of taking out a loan to live seems so crazy!  From what I can tell, there's pretty much three categories amongst the people I know at uni - either your parents pay your rent, you pay your rent through, or the government pays your rent.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 02:22:21 PM by Nudelkopf »

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 02:44:30 PM »

+1 for this.

Indeed. Schools will totally pressure kids to get way more than they need; new ipod with that fancy new laptop, housing, electronics, etc.

Additionally, trade schools go just for this easy money. Expression is a local school that teaches audio and visual skills. Kids graduate with $10,000's of debt from a certification program; getting the same thing from a CC will run a few grand. The real trouble for this industry specifically, **THERE ARE NO JOBS TO GRADUATE TO**. That's right, sound engineers don't exist anymore. These kids graduate and end up wearing a monkey suit with me at a fancy hotel setting up projectors for almost nothing. Their butthurt compounded by the fact that the rock stars they we expecting are no where to be found.

At the culinary school same deal. With the bonus of having to pay for all the knives, chef coats, and other supplies (enough to fill a large carry-on sized rollerbag). The current market for jobs is what inspired the food cart/truck trend we're seeing today.

The art school literally bought out under performing motels for additional dorm space to complete their student gouging. They were sued by the city who lost those hotel tax dollars, but they got to keep the property and run it as a dorm.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 04:38:25 PM »
I will tell you that for me, and for many other kids out there, they have no concept of what that sort of debt does to their day-to-day quality of life, or what sort of burden it is.  They simply know that they need to get loans to pay for school.

I second this. As a HS senior, I was book smart. But despite having developed a saving habit since 3 years old, I still had no concept of how much loan was reasonable. I preferred a $30k+/year private school over the local, so-cheap-it's-a-steal, world class state school. The former would've required loans on top of parent contribution on top of state and school grants. The later ended up being covered by state grants, with the only out-of-pocket expenses being at-home living expenses. I am extremely grateful that my parents put their foot down and said "No, we can't afford that." Thanks to them, I got out of college (and subsequent stint in grad school) with zero debt.

How many clueless kids have parents like mine, who protected me from my own stupidity?

kisserofsinners

• Bristles
    • Monkey wants a house
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
I've only heard of this once, but a friend's parents consulted with college finance guy his freshman year of HS. He coached them through setting up their money years ahead of time. They reported a loss of income his first two years of college and graduated with only $1400 in debt ten years ago.

If anyone is looking forward to what their kids will pay i recommend it.

frugal_engineer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »
The main reason people have high loans in my opinion is one of two things:

1. Student is paying for a well regarded degree that has high upfront costs but will quickly return the investment.
2. Student is paying for a bullsh** degree that has high upfront costs but will slowly return the investment.

I ended up in group 1.  Myself and my parents paid around $100k for my engineering program.  Work study was included in my fin-aid package, but I didn't generally use it because the pay was only around $8.00/hr.  I found investing those hours in extra cirricular activities (clubs where you use the skills you are learning, competition, etc) were a better investment.  My school had a mandatory co-op requirement as part of the degree.  So, I ended up making around $90k during my 5 year program and acquired BS & MS degrees to boot.  The investment nearly paid itself back before I was even done with school.  Now given, I wasn't as smart back then so I still landed about $35k in debt, but the degrees have continued to prove to be a good investment, and will certainly justify their high price.

My view is that all the massive student loan debts that are unjustifiable are due to young (read: people who wish they knew then what they know now) people getting fleeced by schools offering expensive degrees with little earning potential.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »
Started undergrad in Fall of 2004 at University of Illinois.  $6200/year.  Now it's 15k-20k (I'll ignore out-of-state for this discussion) depending on what your major is.  I'll get to the other factors in a minute but WTF!  Back in 2004, I thought I was getting a reasonable deal on my civil engineering degree (graduated in 5 years with an Econ degree but that's another story).  8 years and it triples (engineering degrees are closer to the 20k extreme than the 15k due to fees)!

I agree with Bo_knows on a lot of it.  It is totally beat into brains that you have to go to college.  It was a given, "hey, you're not a complete dumbass so you're going to college."  That was a non-starter issue.  I had anti-Mustachian parents.  They had a combined income around 90k but no real savings.  This means I didn't qualify for work-study or grants but also didn't have a way to fund my way myself or with my parent's help.  Every penny were Parent PLUS loans or federal loans in my name.  I didn't see a way around at the time since going to college WAS A MUST. 

I worked in college part-time but I never viewed it as a way to help pay for school let alone save.  I blew it on drunken pizza, frat social fees, and cover charges.  I don't regret that one bit, I had a great time and am gladly paying that price now.  I was just under the impression I'd get a job and figure it out later.  It took me a year at an out-of-state grad school to get my master's and several months of unemployment (or golf and throwing darts/shooting pool with friends as I called it) to get a job but I'll be alright.  85k + 30k or so in Parent PLUS loans all told.  I plan on paying my parents back but that's sorta an unsaid 0% loan for the time being.  Should be loan free (Parent PLUS included), or at least manageable to the point the higher interest rate loans are gone and I'm saving aggressively for down payment instead, by age 30-31. 

I guess I'm lucky that I have a job that I can make 70k in my 2nd year but I'm not sure how much that has to do with luck.  While I was pretty devil-may-care in my undergrad days, there were still some neurons firing off somewhere that knew the jobs I'd be interested in when I was out of the schooling process would give me an opportunity to repay for all the stupidity that I was enjoying in a relatively short amount of time (thus, I took out the loans).  If I expected 30k-type jobs upon graduation, then I definitely would've had to re-think my whole "plan" as a 16-17 year-old taking the ACT's.

I guess going to community college for 2 years would've saved me a lot of dough, or doing a Master's in 2 years in-state instead (or Phd as a RA/TA and quit after 2 years) of a 12-month program out-of-state, but I wouldn't trade in the experiences and people I've met along the way or at least I'm very content with the way things have transpired.  I guess I can be lumped in with the absurd student loan people in terms of absolute amount but I'm not complaining about my station, I had a vague idea about what I was signing up for.  I think delaying having kids or rather avoiding unplanned pregnancies and having some income expectations and doing some subconscious mental life calculations (about to take out loans or not) occur for a lot of people.  If not, well sorry, loans will be forgiven after 25 years or go into qualifying public service.  And if a person decides to avoid the loans and college altogether, then Judge Smails would say "the world needs ditchdiggers too."  YMMV on the whole college experience thing. 

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2012, 02:18:05 PM »
I ended up in group 1.  Myself and my parents paid around $100k for my engineering program.... the degrees have continued to prove to be a good investment, and will certainly justify their high price.
If you're the kind of student who goes to office hours, does extracurriculars, attends professional organization meetings as an undergrad, studies hard, and makes sure to actually learn things, you will be just as well off at Backwood Tech, and you'd certainly do tremendously at Virginia Tech, TAMU, Georgia Tech, Ohio State, any of the Universities of California, paying under $20k a year. Your degrees are still a good investment, of course, but even as an out of state student with only 25% scholarship coverage (which everyone with a pulse gets at OSU), you could get in and out of a top-30 engineering program for under $50k if you were careful, and for half that if you work two semesters in co-ops. It's been said before in this thread, and certainly elsewhere on this site, but I'll say it again: the problem is that there aren't role models and guidance counselors telling high school kids that.

Started undergrad in Fall of 2004 at University of Illinois.  $6200/year.  Now it's 15k-20k (I'll ignore out-of-state for this discussion) depending on what your major is.  I'll get to the other factors in a minute but WTF!
What the shit, man. I had no idea a public school in the midwest would have the balls to charge that, even a very good one! Even Michigan is $13 for in-state students!

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
I agree with a lot of posters that the primary issue is just that college is seen as the thing to do.  The high cost is seen as just the way it is, and the loans are something that everyone has.  A large chunk of starters never finish, and over half of students going for a 4 year degree take 5-6 years.  Going to college just isn't questioned.

A friend of mine graduated from Ball State with over 100k in loans (bachelor's in 6 years), while I made it out with only 3.5k.  I tried talking with him about different options to save some money and he wouldn't hear it.  You'd be amazed at how many people (nearly everyone) qualified for the presidential scholarship, but wouldn't even give the fin aid department a call to get it.  Literally a 5 minute phone call to save 14 thousand dollars.

http://cms.bsu.edu/AdmissionsLanding/ScholarshipsandFinancialAid/TypesofAid/Scholarships/BallStateScholarships/PresidentialScholarships/InStatePriortoFall2012.aspx

badassprof

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2012, 03:14:05 PM »
I apologize if this point has been made already, but I think that the situation in higher ed is analogous to the housing bubble that burst a few years ago:  more money is available to borrow, which helps drive up (or at least makes plausible) increased tuition and fees. The thing that is particularly disturbing is that in the U.S., as we all know, one can't file bankruptcy to get rid of school loans and you have to wonder (oh cynic that I sometimes am) if banks are increasingly seeing the school loan business as potentially more lucrative (compared to mortgages, credit cards, etc.) due to this fact.  As an interesting aside, there have been some questions about the legality of making school loans immune to bankruptcy. It was a strange little addition added on by the congress in the late 1960s or early 1970s  that at the time was seen as potentially  illegal. I'm waiting to see someone challenge this provision. (The history of school loans in the U.S. is a wacky business).

There are significantly less pell grants and other kinds of non-loan aid available.  As a comparison, I came from a working class family and received aid for school. It wasn't a ton, but the public school that I went to for undergrad wasn't more than 3500 a semester, as I recall (it was in the mid-1990s).  I came out of 13 years of college with about 20000 in debt. Grad school (ivy league) was paid for and in my field this is still often the case if you can get into a top school (I tell my students to think VERY SERIOUSLY before taking on debt for a PhD in the humanities given the job market). The truth is, a lot of top schools (and more expensive ones) are significantly cheaper to go to than state schools because they have more funds to give. 

In terms of college costs, I would say that in my neck of the woods cost are driven in part by a proliferation of administrators and VPs, not professors. My college (which is very typical in many ways) has seen a huge increase in students without a huge increase in the number of professors, except perhaps at the adjunct level. That is, of course, a conversation for another thread.

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
As an interesting aside, there have been some questions about the legality of making school loans immune to bankruptcy. It was a strange little addition added on by the congress in the late 1960s or early 1970s  that at the time was seen as potentially  illegal. I'm waiting to see someone challenge this provision. (The history of school loans in the U.S. is a wacky business).

I disagree with this as it is akin to the IRS, you can't BK your way out of taxes either.  This provision was needed to incent lenders to make loans for college - think about it, what lender would be willing to make a loan to kid to go to school with no collateral or future guarantee of payment - not a single one would sign up for this.  In hindsight though, if this were never the case we wouldn't be where we are today (good and bad).

badassprof

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2012, 04:04:39 PM »
I can't find the email containing the article in my inbox, but a colleague sent me a piece (I think from the Chronicle of Higher Education?) describing how, when the provision was put in to make school loans immune to BK, the default rate was under 5% (I'm remembering something like 4.5).  I'm not saying that it shouldn't be the way it is,  I'm just wondering if there isn't some cause and effect. For example, if people couldn't currently walk away from their underwater mortgages would they have taken such risky debt on? It is just interesting that this area of debt is the one place where we seem to have this provision. And (in my opinion) it is, historically, an area that has disproportionately affected poorer students. Now that more students are taking on more debt, perhaps there will be (indeed I think there is) a hue and cry, which I'm glad to see! 

badassprof

• Stubble
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
A hue and cry about the cost of college, I should add, not about the fact that you can't file BK.

Rangifer

• Stubble
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2012, 09:55:26 PM »
I'll address the issue of unnecessary spending and why students in end up in so much debt so easily. It's pretty simple. Each year you log onto a website. It tells you how much you can borrow. There is no recommended amount, just the maximum you can get. Students punch in a few numbers here and a while later a check magically appears in the mail. Year 2 comes and it's time to fill out that form again. Boy you sure did enjoy that extra cash, and hey, no one's given you any grief over how you spent it so lets get a little more this year.

It's kind of hard to treat it like real money when it works that way, don't you think?

giggles

• Stubble
    • Kiva - Change the world with a $25 loan
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 06:10:33 AM »
I have never had a work study job that paid over minimum wage, even in grad school!!  WS alone won't keep loans down in most cases simply because the pay and max WS cap are so low.  I had part time jobs when I was a full time student.  Now I go to grad school part time and work full time.  I am only taking 1 class at a time, but it's worth it to not have to go into debt.  This way I can pay as I go. 

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 02:34:53 PM »
I can't find the email containing the article in my inbox, but a colleague sent me a piece (I think from the Chronicle of Higher Education?) describing how, when the provision was put in to make school loans immune to BK, the default rate was under 5% (I'm remembering something like 4.5).  I'm not saying that it shouldn't be the way it is,  I'm just wondering if there isn't some cause and effect. For example, if people couldn't currently walk away from their underwater mortgages would they have taken such risky debt on? It is just interesting that this area of debt is the one place where we seem to have this provision. And (in my opinion) it is, historically, an area that has disproportionately affected poorer students. Now that more students are taking on more debt, perhaps there will be (indeed I think there is) a hue and cry, which I'm glad to see!

No that was not my point....I absolutely agree with you that there is cause and effect -100%.  My point was that without the provision there wouldn't be lenders willing to make the loans and that would then limit the government's ability to achieve its mandate....this where I could easily rant about how the government should stay the hell out of everything, but really no point in doing so as we will see even more of now that the election is over.

As for homeownership - the government pushed it hard and subsidized it so it is no surprise that it blew up.  BTW...see Mortgage Foregiveness Debt Relief act that was put in place in 2007 and expires this year.  This one act made it possible for homeowners to walk away from thier loans without any consequence.  Again government should stay the hell out of everything - that doesn't mean there shouldn't be regulation. 

Monkey stache

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2012, 08:15:40 AM »
When I graduate high school, I was surprised at how many of my friends were going to college out of state. Many of these schools charged  up to 2-3x normal tuition for out of state students in their first year (then they were considered residents and paid the regular tuition). There seemed to be some hang up on the prestige of schools. People even made fun of students going to community college.

I was able to attend a community college and went to a lesser known state university without incurring any student loan. Prestige didn't matter to me. I had friends who parents were STILL paying off their student loans and I knew I didn't want that. I was able to pay for college with a small scholarship, grants, and paying out of pocket. Neither of my parents were able to contribute to my tuition so I worked full time while attending college full time. I looked into my colleges work study program but realized that they didn't pay enough to cover my tuition and other bills (wasn't living at home). I worked a sales job that I hated but paid well. I've found these jobs pay the most for not having a college degree plus they were somewhat flexible with my school schedule. I found the trade off worth it in the end.

To get an idea of costs, the University of Minnesota costs $13,524 for 2 semesters and $18,774 for 2 semester for out of state students (most reasonable out of state tuition I've seen). The schools I went to cost $5,000-$6,000 for 2 semesters (in-state). I know textbooks can be a huge expense. I skipped the school bookstore and bought the books used on Amazon or Ebay for much less. Then after the semester I'd sell them online to get as much money as I could back. Sometimes I'd break even, sometimes I'd be down $10-$30 because of depreciation. That's not bad considering these were $200 books.

Many of my friends racked up huge student loans since that's the norm. They weren't able to find a job when they graduated so then they went to grad school. I just can't imagine how far into debt they are! Part of the problem is that these massive student loans are considered normal. These students haven't been told there's other options when it comes to paying for school.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
Many of my friends racked up huge student loans since that's the norm. They weren't able to find a job when they graduated so then they went to grad school. I just can't imagine how far into debt they are! Part of the problem is that these massive student loans are considered normal. These students haven't been told there's other options when it comes to paying for school.

To be fair, huge student loans are not the norm. Median student debt owed is around $23K.  Roughly three percent of borrowers owe more than $100K.  A lot of the media stories on student loans seem to focus on the folks with more than $100K in debt incurred in programs other than med school, things like a master's degree in social work or divinity which may lead to admirable professions but ones which tend not to pay well. 

One other thing.  RandR noted his surprise at the number of people who attended out of state grad programs.  The public university where I earned my MS is ranked highly in my field.  Most grad students had positions as TAs which paid a modest stipend and allowed students to pay in state tuition.  In many fields, finding a graduate program mentor is critical so any old uni just doesn't do.  This is clearly not the case in all disciplines, but it certainly was for me.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!