Author Topic: What's most useless gift you have ever received?  (Read 28869 times)

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
Re: What's most useless gift you have ever received?
« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2015, 12:14:36 PM »

I received a party game where you wear a tight bonnet-like hat covered in Velcro and other people throw stuffed cloth in the shape of poop at your head. Presumably the one who gets the most shit to stick wins. I was 27.

Omg my mom got me that for Christmas last year

Wtf. Really.

That would be a great gift for the office Christmas party or white elephant gift exchange. Make the boss wear it.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 19, 2015, 02:05:34 PM »
This has been a very funny thread, thank you for all the contributions. I thought I had gotten some pretty bad gifts but it could also be worse! And I'm glad Gimp is not planning to off himself.

ClassyCat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #102 on: August 19, 2015, 05:40:32 PM »
I almost feel guilty writing this because the gift was from a friend, but oh well. It was a "doodling robot." Basically you put batteries in this thing and attach a pencil to it, turn it on and it moves in weird patterns trying to draw things. Well, you can imagine how well the drawings turn out. I didn't expect much of anything, but the concept itself was bizarre to me. It was a $10 cheapo bot, not like a gifted artistic robot that my friend hand-crafted, so no hard feelings over it. It was more amusing than anything.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 19, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »
Received a gift card for a restaurant that was 200 miles away.
LOL - I have had that one too, from MIL who used reward points to redeem for a steeply discounted gift card. 
The next year the next card for a hair / nail salon (of all things, I do not use salon services often, and never drive 45 minutes to get there) had about $26 already spent off of it...

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 19, 2015, 06:04:02 PM »
It HAS to be a mug, right? Who doesn't already have enough mismatched mugs? Seriously. I've started to drink SOUP from mugs just to feel like I'm giving them their fair share of use, and I definitely have 'themed' mugs saved up to regift (oops, maybe I am contributing to the mug crisis).

bagap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2015, 06:11:32 PM »
It HAS to be a mug, right? Who doesn't already have enough mismatched mugs? Seriously. I've started to drink SOUP from mugs just to feel like I'm giving them their fair share of use, and I definitely have 'themed' mugs saved up to regift (oops, maybe I am contributing to the mug crisis).

Yes, same!

We received a HUGE bright pink Hawaiian candle carved with a bride and groom as a wedding gift from a dear aunt.  A week later, we honeymooned in Hawaii (where said aunt lived) and saw they sold for upwards of $50 bucks each.  Back in the mid 90s, this was a nice amount of cash.  Too bad eBay wasn't founded 'til the following year :'(

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2015, 06:48:05 PM »
I eloped with my ex, and my worst gift was when I was brought home to meet his family for the first time. My new MIL's sister gave me a used thrift shop bra with a band size several inches too large for me, and cups several sizes too small. I politely declined, then we got into an argument because she insisted it would fit me, I said it wasn't my size at all, she reached out to feel one of my breasts, I supposed to "prove" to me that I was wrong about what size I am. My reflexes kicked in and I hit her and knocked her down.

The rest of the family came running in when they heard the crash of her falling. I had to explain to my new husband that I had slugged his frail little old lady aunt who had had a stroke because she tried to feel me up.

I don't really like gifts. They are so awkward.

climbgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: August 20, 2015, 02:44:51 AM »
My MIL once gave me a book about freezing various different food items. It was 150 pages long and listed hundreds of different food types with the instructions "put (said food) into a freezer proof container and put into freezer" next to each one. The same instructions, over and over again.

I'm still trying to work out how a book like that actually made it to print!

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: August 20, 2015, 06:20:57 AM »
I have not read the whole thread, so forgive me if someone has already said this...but...Lottery tickets. Puh-leeze.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #109 on: August 20, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »
My MIL once gave me a book about freezing various different food items. It was 150 pages long and listed hundreds of different food types with the instructions "put (said food) into a freezer proof container and put into freezer" next to each one. The same instructions, over and over again.

I'm still trying to work out how a book like that actually made it to print!

Hahahahah!  Oh, so THAT'S how you do it!  Can't believe I've been doing it wrong all these years!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #110 on: August 20, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »
I eloped with my ex, and my worst gift was when I was brought home to meet his family for the first time. My new MIL's sister gave me a used thrift shop bra with a band size several inches too large for me, and cups several sizes too small. I politely declined, then we got into an argument because she insisted it would fit me, I said it wasn't my size at all, she reached out to feel one of my breasts, I supposed to "prove" to me that I was wrong about what size I am. My reflexes kicked in and I hit her and knocked her down.

The rest of the family came running in when they heard the crash of her falling. I had to explain to my new husband that I had slugged his frail little old lady aunt who had had a stroke because she tried to feel me up.

I don't really like gifts. They are so awkward.
I've read this 3 times, hysterical!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #111 on: August 20, 2015, 08:40:41 AM »
I have not read the whole thread, so forgive me if someone has already said this...but...Lottery tickets. Puh-leeze.

I like scratch off lottery tickets as a gift.  I know it didn't cost them much money (less than a crappy gift like bath gel)- and sometimes I get lucky and win $50 or something.

Sure wouldn't waste my own money on them.

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #112 on: August 20, 2015, 08:45:07 AM »
For all of those who have received useless gifts, you should save them. I've received my fair share of useless gifts and same them to regift later. If they are so bad that you would never give them to a family member, save it for a white elephant party or sell them on ebay.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #113 on: August 20, 2015, 09:04:40 AM »
For all of those who have received useless gifts, you should save them. I've received my fair share of useless gifts and same them to regift later. If they are so bad that you would never give them to a family member, save it for a white elephant party or sell them on ebay.

See, I just can't do this. I hate giving useless gifts. Unless I know the recipient will actually enjoy them, I don't want to pass the burden of clutter.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #114 on: August 20, 2015, 10:10:29 AM »

I like scratch off lottery tickets as a gift.  I know it didn't cost them much money (less than a crappy gift like bath gel)- and sometimes I get lucky and win $50 or something.

Sure wouldn't waste my own money on them.

Crappy bath gel, and the like are so classic! At least it's practical though .

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:31 AM »

I regift probably 90% of gifts I receive ( at least ppl are beginning to understand my picky taste and minimalist lifestyle so gift cards and cash abound :) ). I also save gift bags ,tissue paper, and cards. I never need to buy & hav just enough to last until next time.
I and another family member hav suggested no gifts for Christmas, but certain ppl had the opinion that would be cheap and selfish . hmmm:/

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2015, 10:22:39 AM »

I regift probably 90% of gifts I receive ( at least ppl are beginning to understand my picky taste and minimalist lifestyle so gift cards and cash abound :) ). I also save gift bags ,tissue paper, and cards. I never need to buy & hav just enough to last until next time.
I and another family member hav suggested no gifts for Christmas, but certain ppl had the opinion that would be cheap and selfish . hmmm:/

My DH and I never get each gifts. Instead we spend the money on vacations and experiences.

riverffashion

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »

My DH and I never get each gifts. Instead we spend the money on vacations and experiences.

Sounds good to me . we used to get each other a gift card or take the other shopping, but now since I'm not into that it's more along the lines of make a special dinner, go out somewhere. or a trip .

fitfrugalfab

• Stubble
    • FitFrugalFab
« Reply #118 on: August 20, 2015, 10:41:12 AM »

Sounds good to me . we used to get each other a gift card or take the other shopping, but now since I'm not into that it's more along the lines of make a special dinner, go out somewhere. or a trip .

I agree! If more couples did what we did, Valentine's day would be non-existent.

jhess002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2015, 10:46:13 AM »
A Black and Decker electric jar opener. Can't wait to re-gift it to an older family member/friend. 

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
Loved reading about the horrible gifts you guys have gotten.  Mine aren't so bad, but they did make me scratch my head a bit when I got them.  In general I've found that the gifts my family give me aren't even thoughtful, but instead are given just for the sake of giving something.  I've told them that the only gifts I want are their support in my lifestyle (early retirement and semi-minimalism), and I think they're finally starting to get it.  Here's my useless gift list:

• Parents got me 30$ of candy for Easter which is a holiday I don't celebrate.  I had to toss most of it because I just couldn't eat all of it even if I had wanted to.
  • My friend got me a gift 3 month subscription to Birch Box which is a service that ships you 5-6 beauty samples every month.  I rarely wear make up, I don't use any fancy skin or hair care items, and my friend knows all of this.
  • 3 sets of black cat earrings (I do have a black cat, but the earrings were never worn)
  • My brother once got me a flashlight that is powered by a hand crank.  Sounds great but was totally useless in practice because you had to continuously crank the thing which made it hard to actually aim it anywhere

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2015, 11:27:02 AM »
I once received a souvenir spoon from a friend.  I'm not sure why they gave me a spoon as I had never expressed any interest in starting a spoon collection.  It sat on a shelf in its souvenir box for a couple of years before it made its way into the donation pile.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #122 on: August 20, 2015, 12:56:42 PM »

• My brother once got me a flashlight that is powered by a hand crank.  Sounds great but was totally useless in practice because you had to continuously crank the thing which made it hard to actually aim it anywhere

My dad and his wife sent me one of those at Christmas....we haven't celebrated Christmas in about 20+ years, it just showed up in the mail out of the blue.  And totally useless in practicality.  Sat in my car for about 5 years before I tossed it.