Author Topic: What's in a name? Username meaning discussion thread.  (Read 162275 times)

CubicleEscapee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: What's in a name? Username meaning discussion thread.
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2014, 10:47:04 PM »
With the help of this website, I realized I had more than enough money to last the rest of my life (currently age 60).  So I recently took some vacation time and never went back to work.  Now I'm enjoying life.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #401 on: August 31, 2014, 06:44:45 AM »
With the help of this website, I realized I had more than enough money to last the rest of my life (currently age 60).  So I recently took some vacation time and never went back to work.  Now I'm enjoying life.

Sounds like a video game.

Congrats on the retirement.

Johnez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #402 on: August 31, 2014, 02:23:51 PM »
First three, and last three of my first and last name.  Had to pick something I could remember.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #403 on: August 31, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »
Ha! When I retire I think I'll change my name like exflyboy. Maybe I'll go from Workinghard to Itpaidoff. Lol

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #404 on: August 31, 2014, 09:28:54 PM »
Not going to go with hardly working? That would be very fitting.

Workinghard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2014, 03:12:04 AM »
Not going to go with hardly working? That would be very fitting.

Love that! Very clever.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #406 on: September 01, 2014, 08:19:07 AM »
Prepube.  Haven't grown my stache yet.
Adorbs

TheTokenGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #407 on: September 01, 2014, 09:28:03 AM »
Pretty obvious, I think. I'm a female engineer and in school I was sometimes the only girl in a class. Now I'm often the only woman sitting at 'the table' for anything managerial or business related. I work with plenty of other women engineers, but I'm the only one rocketing through the ranks of management and driving my work forward into new domains.

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #408 on: September 01, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
...it's my name...

not very exciting.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #409 on: September 04, 2014, 05:25:45 PM »
Short for resilient because that's what I am :)

jordanread

« Reply #410 on: September 04, 2014, 05:41:20 PM »
...it's my name...

not very exciting.

It can always be exciting:

Many years ago, in the BBS days, I created a username. More appropriately, I created an identity. The interests and activities of this identity were in line with mine, but shrouded behind a screen of anonymity and mystery. Appearing out of the ether, I would appear, drop words of wisdom, solve problems, destroy illusions, correct grammar, and fade away.
At some point, this identity and my public facing identity started to diverge. As I matured, and began creating a philosophy of life, I knew I had things to offer. However, the newer things I had to offer were not in line with my secret identity. I decided I needed another one. One that could accurately portray what I'm like IRL, one that wasn't weighed down with the questionable ethics and decisions of the past. But what could it possibly be?
How did I come up with the name jordanread?
I was on an archaeological dig in what used to be Constantinople, searching for a key to the past, the answer to a question I hadn't even thought to ask. I was there for about a week when I found something. I didn't even know the significance of it at the time, but I suspect it was considered holy by the local population. Soon after I found it, the natives got restless. Descending on the site like locusts on a crop, brandishing their weapons, many of my team were killed. I narrowly escaped with my life, and hid the item to protect it. After wandering aimlessly for days, dehydrated and hungry, I was taken in by a family, who nursed my broken body back to health. After working off my debt to them, I set out to recover the object.
Once I returned to my lab, I realized that it was some type of clay protecting an ancient document. I set to work on translating it. To this day, there are still small pieces that I don't understand, as it's most likely a dead language. However, at the top, was a name. Jordan Read: loosely translated, it meant Book of Rivers. I adopted this identity as my own. And that is where my name came from.

However, in the interests of Full Disclosure, the dig in Constantinople was actually a closet in my house, and I was organizing it. The item I found was a document in an envelope, and the natives that ran me out were the personification of procrastination. The family was my friends, who kept me out very late that night. The translation was mostly easy, because it was in English. The name at the top was my name, because it was my birth certificate. The question I hadn't thought to ask was "What e-mail address would be appropriate to put on a resume?". The untranslated part of the document was the doctor's writing.

So...yeah. It's my real name. :)

Señora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #411 on: September 04, 2014, 05:57:03 PM »
Alliteration + Money + Southwest vibe

domustachesgrowinhouston

• Stubble
« Reply #412 on: September 04, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
I came on here looking to see if there were any meetups planned in houston. I figured it would be nice to meet people that did things together that didnt cost money, almost but not quite exactly the opposite of everyone i currently know. While i was looking, i came across a post that made me immediately think of an obnoxious reply that i found funny. Ive learned that i get a much better response saying things that other people find funny but i obstinately cling to the practice of saying things that make me laugh instead. Maybe its because i can hear me but i cant hear you.  Anyway, i just had to respond because i have no self control whatsoever, so i clicked register. They made me pick a user name, but i didnt have time to pick one because then i would forget the awesome reply. So i chose what i was wondering in the first place - do mustaches grow in houston?

But now this is kinda fun, and im paying for internet anyway because my family threatens to disown me every time i bring up the subject of canceling it ( i mean, theres like 20 places with free wifi within a mile of my house and comcast is such a pain in the ass, i told them to take back their tv box thingy because i dont have a tv and they sent me a second tv box thingy and they cant understand why i dont want to be charged for 2 tv box thingies...) so now i think ill just stay home and play with you (sorry).

Jessa

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #413 on: September 05, 2014, 05:53:15 AM »
It can always be exciting:

Many years ago, in the BBS days, I created a username. More appropriately, I created an identity. The interests and activities of this identity were in line with mine, but shrouded behind a screen of anonymity and mystery. Appearing out of the ether, I would appear, drop words of wisdom, solve problems, destroy illusions, correct grammar, and fade away.
At some point, this identity and my public facing identity started to diverge. As I matured, and began creating a philosophy of life, I knew I had things to offer. However, the newer things I had to offer were not in line with my secret identity. I decided I needed another one. One that could accurately portray what I'm like IRL, one that wasn't weighed down with the questionable ethics and decisions of the past. But what could it possibly be?
How did I come up with the name jordanread?
I was on an archaeological dig in what used to be Constantinople, searching for a key to the past, the answer to a question I hadn't even thought to ask. I was there for about a week when I found something. I didn't even know the significance of it at the time, but I suspect it was considered holy by the local population. Soon after I found it, the natives got restless. Descending on the site like locusts on a crop, brandishing their weapons, many of my team were killed. I narrowly escaped with my life, and hid the item to protect it. After wandering aimlessly for days, dehydrated and hungry, I was taken in by a family, who nursed my broken body back to health. After working off my debt to them, I set out to recover the object.
Once I returned to my lab, I realized that it was some type of clay protecting an ancient document. I set to work on translating it. To this day, there are still small pieces that I don't understand, as it's most likely a dead language. However, at the top, was a name. Jordan Read: loosely translated, it meant Book of Rivers. I adopted this identity as my own. And that is where my name came from.

However, in the interests of Full Disclosure, the dig in Constantinople was actually a closet in my house, and I was organizing it. The item I found was a document in an envelope, and the natives that ran me out were the personification of procrastination. The family was my friends, who kept me out very late that night. The translation was mostly easy, because it was in English. The name at the top was my name, because it was my birth certificate. The question I hadn't thought to ask was "What e-mail address would be appropriate to put on a resume?". The untranslated part of the document was the doctor's writing.

So...yeah. It's my real name. :)

you win! I'll try to be more clever with the delivery next time :)

Public Hermit

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #414 on: September 05, 2014, 09:08:54 AM »
I like to be ironic.

bateloomer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #415 on: September 13, 2014, 08:44:10 AM »
Late bloomer in transition here :)   But I think about other meanings also. .. There is a substantial garden spider that has  set up house across  an outside window.   Waiting to see what Mr. ManyLegs will attract to his web.  Got me thinking about life infrastructure (web) and passive income (fly).  So maybe bateloomer will use a loom to construct a life to set bait and catch some financial security!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2014, 06:49:43 PM »
Mine is simple....RunHappy

running makes me happy

i'm happiest when I'm running

ascZend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
A combination of the words "ascend" and "zen"—a philosophy I try to incorporate into my daily life and personal finances.

JohnnyDollar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:55 PM »
Who better to stand for my 'Stache than Johnny Dollar, the man with the action-packed expense account!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yours_Truly,_Johnny_Dollar

Yours truly,

Johnny

CerebralPrimate

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #419 on: September 13, 2014, 09:51:41 PM »
Smart Monkey.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #420 on: September 14, 2014, 03:01:14 AM »
it just what I'm planning to do on my previous presumptions about my budget and lifestyle.
and on life, the universe and all that.

plus unleashing hell is fun... I've not often done things by the book - why start now...

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #421 on: September 14, 2014, 03:15:39 PM »
When not pregnant (currently about 7 months), I'm a competitive powerlifter.  And I used to be a vegetarian.  So a tofu-eating champion.  Or just a champion of tofu (because veg or not, I love the stuff).

It was my tumblr name when I was blogging about lifting & stuff, and I like it, so I kept it.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #422 on: September 14, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »
Because I'm an aircraft mechanic and an aviation nut. Not a very creative username, eh.
Sounds like a good name to me!  Welcome everyone!

pichirino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #423 on: September 16, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Im quite attached to my nickname as in my local language
its a combination of Pichiri(cheap) and no.So not cheap in a way of saying
since believe it or not there is no word for Frugality or Frugal in my language as far as I know.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: September 16, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
Im quite attached to my nickname as in my local language
its a combination of Pichiri(cheap) and no.So not cheap in a way of saying
since believe it or not there is no word for Frugality or Frugal in my language as far as I know.

What's your local language? (I love learning about languages)

pichirino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #425 on: September 16, 2014, 03:39:55 PM »
Probably quite unknown one called "Papiamento"

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #426 on: September 16, 2014, 03:47:48 PM »
I am thinking about changing mine. There are only so many "You know nothing", "winter is coming" references that one can stand.

Probably wouldn't have been a big deal if the TV show didn't become such a hit... but it did.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #427 on: September 16, 2014, 04:41:07 PM »
I am thinking about changing mine. There are only so many "You know nothing", "winter is coming" references that one can stand.

Probably wouldn't have been a big deal if the TV show didn't become such a hit... but it did.

Oh, my sweet summer child... what did you expect with a username like that?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 16, 2014, 04:45:01 PM »

So, you're NOT named after the treasury secretary? I had to Google your name to find out what TV show you were referring to.

Spartana

« Reply #429 on: September 16, 2014, 05:22:01 PM »
I am thinking about changing mine. There are only so many "You know nothing" references that one can stand.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 16, 2014, 05:56:36 PM »
I'm a mama to a passel of kids and was born in 1967. Woohoo.. Super creative! Haha! It I'd been less impulsive, I would have hung around the forums a few months and then come up with a humorous and pithy name!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #431 on: September 16, 2014, 05:59:33 PM »
Well you could live in the ROC.  Where we have two seasons, winter and construction season.

gildedbutterfly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • "We two alone will...laugh at gilded butterflies"
« Reply #432 on: September 16, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
Probably quite unknown one called "Papiamento"

Are you from Curacao? That's my favorite place in the Caribbean. Plus, lots of good baseball players coming out of there. :)

pichirino

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #433 on: September 16, 2014, 08:18:13 PM »
Close, Aruba.
All sorts of messed up things for reaching FI on such a small island,though the beaches and sea make entertainment quite cheap and easy :)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #434 on: September 17, 2014, 09:22:32 AM »
I picked mine as it is a loose translation of my last name.

It's also a family of hobbits in the Lord of the Rings!

iheartcharts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #435 on: September 18, 2014, 12:15:36 AM »
I really like charts and graphs.

Hangzhou

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #436 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:22 PM »
I picked mine because I lived in that beautiful Chinese City for some time. Has nothing to do with finance or frugality....

Ambergris

• Stubble
« Reply #437 on: September 20, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
I like mine because it represents an wildly expensive, beautiful smelling, luxury item...

...that turned out to be the weathered intestinal lubricant of a sperm whale1. So a little Mustachian joke.

Apparently King Charles II of England liked ambergris on his eggs. I wonder if he'd have liked it as much if he knew. I suspect not.

1BTW, that's also why the pic of a whale. I'm not commenting on my body image, in case any of you were wondering. :)~

ViragoStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Hoarding me booty...
« Reply #438 on: September 20, 2014, 08:38:34 PM »
Mine is a combo of the name I use on the intewebs and the MMM feel here.  It came from my first (only) motorcycle being an '82 Virago.  My friend and I each bought one and we called ourselves the Virago Vixens...  I don't ride it anymore but the moniker kinda sticks.

Monkey Uncle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #439 on: September 21, 2014, 01:27:54 PM »
It's the title of an extremely sarcastic (and corny) song that I wrote about creationism.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #440 on: September 22, 2014, 09:30:36 PM »
I like mine because it represents an wildly expensive, beautiful smelling, luxury item...

...that turned out to be the weathered intestinal lubricant of a sperm whale1. So a little Mustachian joke.

Apparently King Charles II of England liked ambergris on his eggs. I wonder if he'd have liked it as much if he knew. I suspect not.

1BTW, that's also why the pic of a whale. I'm not commenting on my body image, in case any of you were wondering. :)~

Your name is also a beautiful island in Belize with amazing diving.

Happy Little Chipmunk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #441 on: September 22, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »
I aim towards happiness though I occasionally fall short.

When I was a kid I had a REALLY cool bank shaped like a walnut that I got from the credit union because I was an active member of the Filbert and Sally Squirrel savings club. (The walnut should have been a hazelnut/filbert. The nerd in me still shakes my head at the lack of coherence to the metaphor.)

I like to squirrel away my stash for future needs, but I have a lot of squirrels in my trees so I find chipmunks slightly more exotic and appealing. And it's totally fun to watch them stuff their cheeks.

I'm not particularly little in stature nor attitude, but little goes with chipmunk.

And it's a joke between me and the spouse; I've always been the "happy little chipmunk". He's "serial ADD boy" because of all his many interests and hobbies.

Dan_at_Home

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #442 on: December 03, 2014, 05:42:56 PM »
Thanks Cheddarstacker for clarifying your username, for the longest time, I thought you worked in a factory all day long stacking pieces of cheese on top of one another on an assembly line, i.e. I thought you were the one making sure the cheese packages in the grocery store always had 8 slices of cheese each prior to packaging and delivery around the country.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 06:35:22 PM by Dan_at_Home »

Spoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #443 on: December 03, 2014, 06:35:10 PM »
Long, long ago, in the dark ages of the internet, Spoon was taken on an online game.

But I like the meanings that I later found (especially the second one):

spoom
1. (noun) a type of frozen dessert like a frothy sorbet, made from whipped egg white, fruit juice or wine, and syrup
2. (nautical, obsolete) verb (intransitive) to sail fast driven by a strong wind

Dan_at_Home

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #444 on: December 03, 2014, 06:38:14 PM »
I don't know anything about spoom, but I definitely remember that picture, I think it is from the original Final Fantasy game on Nintendo, if my memory servers me correctly, that is the wizard before he later gets upgraded to the stronger more adult wizard character later in the game.  That game was great, I really liked the music too, I still remember it to this day.

P1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #445 on: December 03, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
P1=Phenomenal One

Spoom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #446 on: December 03, 2014, 06:44:31 PM »
I don't know anything about spoom, but I definitely remember that picture, I think it is from the original Final Fantasy game on Nintendo, if my memory servers me correctly, that is the wizard before he later gets upgraded to the stronger more adult wizard character later in the game.  That game was great, I really liked the music too, I still remember it to this day.

Yep!  It's Black Mage from Final Fantasy I.  More importantly, though, it's from 8-Bit Theater, an insanely funny, now complete sprite comic based on the game.

iwasjustwondering

• Bristles
« Reply #447 on: December 03, 2014, 08:16:53 PM »
Well, I was.  Still am.

tracylayton

« Reply #448 on: December 03, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
I am not as creative as most. tracylayton...that's my name, don't wear it out.

SingleMomDebt

« Reply #449 on: December 03, 2014, 09:07:40 PM »
Name of the Summer Camp where Wednesday Addams (and entourage) causes a major ruckus: http://youtu.be/2VbYZDohsHk?t=1m26s