Author Topic: What's in a name? Username meaning discussion thread.  (Read 162366 times)

Doomspark

Re: What's in a name? Username meaning discussion thread.
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »
Username is a character from a novel I never finished writing. Have been Doomspark on the 'net for about as long as it's been around.  Am Doomspark on AOL (never use it any more), Yahoo (rarely), etc.

The badger is a tribute to my Hogwarts House. I'm very much a Hufflepuff.

"Meles numquam soilicitandum" is loosely translated as "Don't badger a badger" or "Don't f*k with me" depending on how polite one wants to be.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #301 on: June 22, 2014, 03:59:18 PM »
I asked my wife to pick a word that encapsulates her. She picked her favorite thing in the world. Arsenal describes me. We made a blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: June 22, 2014, 04:39:25 PM »
I asked my wife to pick a word that encapsulates her. She picked her favorite thing in the world. Arsenal describes me. We made a blog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always read it at a glance as "Ice Cream Marshall."

Also, FYI, you can (and should) turn off the signature in Tapatalk.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

ThriftyD

• Stubble
« Reply #303 on: June 22, 2014, 08:59:48 PM »
Ah, this is indeed a fun thread Cheddar!

ThriftyD:

Thrifty (from dictionary.com)
   a) practicing thrift or economical management; frugal: a thrifty shopper. - This is how I try to live my life
   b) thriving, prosperous, or successful.  - This is what I'm striving for. Maybe I'm already there in some respects, but it's       a never ending goal!

D: My name is Drew

ThriftyD.  Reminded me of the late rapper "Heavy D."  Wasn't big into him or anything but the name was just easy to remember and rolled off the tongue easily.

Fun thread! 

lauren_knows

• Pencil Stache
  • Happiness is a choice
    • The Crowdsourced FIRE simulator
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2014, 07:22:19 AM »
For whatever reason, I missed this thread for a long time.

My username?  My actual name is Bo, and I was a huuuge fan of Bo Jackson in the 90s. "Bo Knows" was the famous Nike slogan that was used with him in commercials during the 90s.  I always figured that "Bo Knows", as a username for discussion forums where I'd be posting my opinion, would be pretty funny.    :)

BarkingSquirrel

« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2014, 07:40:26 AM »
The Barking Squirrel was the restaurant/snack shack located at the Deering Oaks Park ice skating pond in Portland, Maine.  Really good, giant, cheap burritos.  Now long gone, alas. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
The Barking Squirrel was the restaurant/snack shack located at the Deering Oaks Park ice skating pond in Portland, Maine.  Really good, giant, cheap burritos.  Now long gone, alas.

I think it is a beer label.. 

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2014, 07:41:18 PM »
My username is an impenetrable mystery.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: June 23, 2014, 08:14:03 PM »

The name of the rhino in the picture?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #309 on: June 23, 2014, 08:54:03 PM »

Igor Alvin Ninderberg?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: June 23, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
I'm originally from Wisconsin, so every time I see one of Cheddar Stacker's posts, I have a little bit of a pavlovian reaction and salivate. Cheese curds anyone?

Rich M

• Stubble
  • Fortune Kookie
« Reply #311 on: June 23, 2014, 09:14:14 PM »
Interesting thread.

Spartana

« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2014, 12:37:08 PM »
A place I once knew well. Lobsta rolls anyone?

Frugal Father

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2014, 12:49:27 PM »

Igor Alvin Ninderberg?

Or the impenetrable mystery is that his name is Ian... ;)

As for me, I'm expecting my first child in the next couple months, so Frugal Father just made sense.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: June 24, 2014, 02:54:29 PM »
Mine is an abbreviation of part of my side gig name.  Trying to be a little more anonymous over here.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2014, 02:58:54 PM »
I'm a handspinner (make yarn on a one of four spinning wheels), and I've been a sci-fi geek since 1977. The dichotomy amuses me.

I've had a different user name since the days of AOL, but like others I really didn't want it linked to my financial life.

I am also a handspinner (won't talk about how many wheels I have) and love sci-fi!!

xclonexclonex

• Stubble
« Reply #316 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:43 PM »
I play video games, and I saw Xclone as a username of one of the players.

I thought I could do better than that and came up with - XclonexcloneX

Ian

• Bristles
« Reply #317 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:20 AM »
It is a riddle wrapped in an enigma, rolled inside a conundrum.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:30:03 PM by Ian »

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #318 on: June 25, 2014, 06:41:27 AM »
Waves hand wildly in air - me 3.  Only 2 wheels though.  Read SF before it was respectable ;-)

I am not sure spinning is mustachian though, all it has done for me is given me an appetite for more expensive fibers - merino/silk blends, merino/alpaca blends, etc.

I'm a handspinner (make yarn on a one of four spinning wheels), and I've been a sci-fi geek since 1977. The dichotomy amuses me.

I've had a different user name since the days of AOL, but like others I really didn't want it linked to my financial life.

I am also a handspinner (won't talk about how many wheels I have) and love sci-fi!!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #319 on: June 25, 2014, 09:35:39 AM »
Read SF before it was respectable ;-)

Hipster confirmed

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #320 on: June 25, 2014, 10:57:26 AM »
I'm originally from Wisconsin, so every time I see one of Cheddar Stacker's posts, I have a little bit of a pavlovian reaction and salivate. Cheese curds anyone?

Now you are doing it to me! I've recently discovered I am allergic to dairy, so no more cheese curds or squeeky cheese for me anymore ...noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #321 on: June 25, 2014, 02:57:06 PM »

Now you are doing it to me! I've recently discovered I am allergic to dairy, so no more cheese curds or squeeky cheese for me anymore ...noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, mission accomplished. Time to start FIRE from here and head on over to the earlyretirementextreme forums ;)

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: June 25, 2014, 03:03:42 PM »

Haha, mission accomplished. Time to start FIRE from here and head on over to the earlyretirementextreme forums ;)

Dinnertime! Ready yet batman?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #323 on: June 25, 2014, 03:21:48 PM »

Dinnertime! Ready yet batman?

Jerk

Lutra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Otterly frugal.
    • Classic Ranger Rick
« Reply #324 on: June 25, 2014, 03:46:02 PM »
Otters are cool! ;-)  Its one place where my username is straightforward.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: June 26, 2014, 06:06:06 AM »

Based your location, I would have expected Lontra instead of Lutra.  Any reason you went with the Eurasian?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #326 on: June 26, 2014, 06:18:43 AM »

Based your location, I would have expected Lontra instead of Lutra.  Any reason you went with the Eurasian?

That's not the kind of question that needs to be asked.  You otter just know.

Fishingmn

• Bristles
  • You never have to recover from a good start
« Reply #327 on: June 26, 2014, 06:47:09 AM »
I had some early success 15 years ago in selling some items on eBay. I then found a clearance fishing equipment site online and thought I'd try buying from them and reselling on eBay so I created an eBay name of fishingminnesota.

The reselling thing never did much but I ended up abbreviating the name to fishingmn and have pretty much used it at every website I could since then as it always seems to be available.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #328 on: June 26, 2014, 09:46:33 AM »
Spinner/Weaver/Fiber Artist here.

I "only" have 3 wheels.  One handed down in the family, one purchased new (pre-mustachian), and one bought for way less than I can sell it for.

As a side-gig/post FIRE hobby, I buy, rehab and resell looms and am branching into spinning wheels.  I also recently sold some of my weaving for the first time.  $450 in the bank.  Score!

I keep my fiber costs low by stalking craigslist and dead weaver sales.  I also make many of my own tools.  Like just about anything else, you can spend a lot or keep your costs under controll.

Case in point: Last year I took my visiting sister to a LYS.  She dropped $200 on a small bag of yarn and needles.  I winced but let her enjoy her find.  The next day, after dropping her off at the airport I followed up on a craigslist ad and wound up driving home with my van packed to the top with yarn and books, all for $500.  Sounds like a lot but I sold half the books for more than I paid for everything and now have years worth of yarn to enjoy.

Waves hand wildly in air - me 3.  Only 2 wheels though.  Read SF before it was respectable ;-)

I am not sure spinning is mustachian though, all it has done for me is given me an appetite for more expensive fibers - merino/silk blends, merino/alpaca blends, etc.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #329 on: June 26, 2014, 10:01:15 AM »
I forgot!  My user name is a SF reference.  Kudos to anyone who makes the connection.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #330 on: June 26, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »
What's SF? San Francisco? Sci-Fi?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: June 26, 2014, 10:55:25 AM »

Ooh, ooh, I totally know this one (and I didn't google it, promise). He means sci-fi, because threshkin is a reference to an action/military Sci-Fi series by John Ringo, the Legacy of Aldenata. The Posleen (the aliens) call most other creatures "thresh", which means food. Humans are called "threshkin", which translates to food with teeth. You know, because we fight back.

At least I'm pretty sure that's what it's about. I'm a big John Ringo fan, so hopefully I know what I'm talking about.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #332 on: June 26, 2014, 06:08:45 PM »
As we veer madly OT - SF is Science Fiction, the old (sort of) respectable label - Sci-Fi was what the non-SF readers called it. 

Wow, I hardly ever see anything on Kijiji.  I get fibre at get-togethers like the Chesterville Spin-in or Twist, it is reasonable.  My spinning wheels were both low-cost as well, they are both double-drive, whch doesn't seem to be as popular although they do a great job for me.  One connects me to my Canadian heritage as well, it is a Spin-Well.

Quote from: Threshkin
I keep my fiber costs low by stalking craigslist and dead weaver sales.  I also make many of my own tools.  Like just about anything else, you can spend a lot or keep your costs under controll.

db_cooper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #333 on: June 26, 2014, 06:26:26 PM »
db_cooper -  it's the ultimate early FIRE plan,  hijack a plane, demand a ransom and parachute, and jump out over Oregon.

Actually, it's just because I like the Todd Snider song.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2014, 08:47:30 AM »
I like having a different username for different forums. My mind went blank when I signed up here. I decided on a relatively obscure element from the periodic table that nobody was likely to have already chosen.

I have yet to see anyone use a name from the periodic table.   You still might be able to snag some of the more popular elements.

"I chose the name oxygen because I like to breathe oxygen."

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #335 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
My favorites elements have to be H2O and AU. Although with the popularity of Breaking Bad, bromium climbed up the charts a bit for me.

Grid

• Bristles
  • I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:04 AM »
My favorites elements have to be H2O and AU. Although with the popularity of Breaking Bad, bromium climbed up the charts a bit for me.

I'm assuming H2O is a different type of element in this case, from the folklore category (i.e. earth, water, wind, or fire).

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »

H2O is technically not an element  and this is the formula for a molecule of water (at least from my bad memory of chemistry 20+ years ago)  :)

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: June 27, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
Yeah, I was going for water but I sucked at chemistry so there you go. AU is correct though right? Gold is an element. I like gold, and I love water.

Digital Watches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #339 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:12 AM »
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think I'm a pretty neat idea.

Spartana

« Reply #340 on: June 27, 2014, 10:42:28 AM »
Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the Western Spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small unregarded yellow sun.

Orbiting this at a distance of roughly ninety-two million miles is an utterly insignificant little blue green planet whose ape-descended life forms are so amazingly primitive that they still think I'm a pretty neat idea.
Ah... one froody dude who really knows where his towel is :-)!

jordanread

« Reply #341 on: June 27, 2014, 11:48:31 AM »

Nice!!

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #342 on: June 28, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
Ok, now we're in hipster Sci-Fi territory. Or, as retiredby63 would call it, "SF" :)

Better than Syfy.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #343 on: June 28, 2014, 08:33:36 AM »
monkeymind refers to the incessant chatter that goes on in our heads which, if left unchecked, can  drive us crazy.  I'm just looking for a little inner peace through financial independence.  And besides, I get to think of a dear one, nicknamed Monkey, every time I see my username.

PS: This is my first ever post after following the genius of this forum for more than two years.  Thanks for the wisdom (and ridiculousness) you all provide.

Thanks for finally joining us. Welcome. I look forward to learning from you as well monkeymind.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #344 on: June 28, 2014, 09:11:13 AM »
My name is David and I felt like adding an s at the end because plural is cool.

abitbol17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #345 on: June 29, 2014, 04:46:47 AM »
When I was about 15 I have been asked to create a password to my cellphone company plan.I got about 30 seconds to think of it and I"ve chosen my favourite ice-skater's surname + my favourite number. It became my login in almost all internet accounts since then and it is in use for +10 years :)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #346 on: June 29, 2014, 07:47:55 AM »
My name is David and I felt like adding an s at the end because plural is cool.
I always thought you where the guys the movie multiplicity was based on

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #347 on: June 30, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
Roland of Gilead is the main character in Stephen King's Gunslinger series (one of my favorite).

It is only quite some time after creating this name that I started investing in the biotech Gilead, which has made me so much money recently.   I guess Roland of Gilead now has two meanings.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #348 on: July 02, 2014, 12:55:14 AM »
The year was 1987.  The high school was new (to me).  The cool kids were running their own BBS... And I wanted a good name to join ....  And "Goldielocks" was taken.  I mean really, there were only 15 people on, and my first name was taken?  Dreams dashed and I looked elsewhere.

Ever since then I have used my real name, yet occasionally tried to get this one.... To no avail until MMM.  Finally living my dream.  Thanks!

And like many of you, did not want financial info linked on my real name...

'.............................................................

Yeah, at least I considered them cool!  Geeks rule!

PineapplePrincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #349 on: July 02, 2014, 05:00:56 AM »
Mine has nothing to do with money. "Pineapple Princess" is a song sung by Annette Funicello and written by The Sherman Brothers.