Author Topic: We FINALLY Bought a House  (Read 19439 times)

Zoe

• Bristles
Re: We FINALLY Bought a House
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2014, 08:32:36 PM »
About the drainage issue, I'm sure we need the gutters and possibly a regrade, but my husband saw an area that some of the brick mortar has fallen out. I believe that is why the root cellar is getting flooded. We're going to patch that up and get the cellar pumped out and hopefully that fixes it. Money is super tight right now :( I'm still looking for a job.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:20 AM »
In that case, watch when it rains to see what the water does. You can always dig a shallow drainage itch with a shovel to temporarily redirect the water if it needs to be. Just be aware that the ditch will get deeper over time.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2014, 07:06:01 AM »
In that case, watch when it rains to see what the water does. You can always dig a shallow drainage itch with a shovel to temporarily redirect the water if it needs to be. Just be aware that the ditch will get deeper over time.

True. Either way, it shouldn't be too terrible of a fix.

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2014, 06:12:45 AM »
Today is moving day! We pick up our moving truck in a little bit. Weather is going to be a beautiful 73. The coolest day so far. Lucked out on that!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2014, 06:27:49 AM »
Good luck with it all!

FrugalZony

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2014, 11:52:28 AM »
Hope the move went well!!
How are things going?

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2014, 07:51:08 AM »
Moving is terrible! Haha! We have this king size latex bed....I WILL LEAVE IT HERE IF WE EVER MOVE AGAIN. That thing is HEAVY and has no form. It was an absolute nightmare to get it downstairs (I basically threw it down the stairs), through 3 doorways, through the garage, up the ramp of the moving truck, then down the ramp, and through 2 doorways in the new house.

Let's see...we purchased a new fridge. Just a no frills top freezer one. It was like $500. The little tag says it should only cost $51 to run per year.
My dad and I ran new drain lines for the kitchen sink and the clothes washer and then tied them into the bathroom drain line to go into the septic. Those two lines used to just go out into a drainage field. THOSE pipes were falling in on themselves and the washer would back up into the sink when it was draining because the pipe was packed with dirt and rust. hah! But that's all fixed now.

We put a filter on the line at the well pump and another one under the kitchen sink.

Our water test came back fine/negative on everything, so we finally have usable water. AND, nearly the best part is being able to take a shower in our own bathroom! We were going down to my parent's house (right down the road) to shower and get potable water.

I've started painting the kitchen cabinets, but haven't had much time to get back to it lately.

Oh, and I got new faucets for the bathroom sink, tub, and kitchen sink.

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but the whole house was rewired too!

Other than that, that's about where we're at. We got our first power bill. $111.55. Not too terrible. $8.xx was for an outdoor streetlight. I'm having that removed from our bill since it doesn't work anyway, and we don't want it. We don't have central heat & a/c. We had been using one small window unit and a portable a/c unit to keep the house comfortable. Plus 4 ceiling fans. I would like to lower this bill though. We need to do something with the windows (plastic over them or something) and under the house needs insulation, and the attic.

A few faucet pics:

I need to take a pic of the kitchen sink.

We're still unpacking :/ Ugh. I do love this house though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2014, 10:16:04 AM »
Wow, lots of progress, Zoe! Keep up the good work and thanks for letting us "see" what you've accomplished.

Kristen over at The Frugal Girl ran a great series on painting her kitchen cabinets. There are several posts on the topic. This is the link to the wrap-up article. It's a great frugal blog, so I'm glad to have an excuse to support it here at MMM.

http://www.thefrugalgirl.com/2014/05/how-to-paint-kitchen-cabinets/

Also, it is possible to paint over tiles and re-glaze tubs. It's only a short-term fix as it tends to break down or chip over time, but it can be a good interim solution should you want to spruce up without killing the budget. It's nice because your bathroom isn't out of commission for long. You Tube is your friend for projects like this (and so many other things, lol).

Zoe

• Bristles
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:34 AM »
You're welcome!

Those "tiles" in the bathroom aren't real tile. I think it's called wallboard. It's fine for now, albeit ugly. I have time to figure out how we want to remodel the bathroom. Some kind of tile on the bottom half maybe and drywall on the top half, except the shower. All tile in there probably.

I'll check out that blog, thanks!!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!