Author Topic: Wanted to share my joy!  (Read 4022 times)

jpap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Wanted to share my joy!
« on: August 06, 2022, 11:04:52 AM »
I know this is a common occurrence among people who visit this site, but I never would have dreamed 10 years ago (when I started reading Mr. Money Mustache) that it could happen to me.  I retired this summer at the age of 49, after a 24 year career teaching high school math.  I got my first retirement check at the end of July, and it is larger than any check I ever got while teaching (due to pension and 403b contributions being deducted).  Additionally, my former school district called me this week and asked me to come back and teach half time this school year, which will pay me half of the salary I would have earned in addition to the teacher pension.  I will teach 3 dual credit courses (which I love) and will not deal with any of the supervision, worthless meetings, etc. that are currently sucking the life out of America's teachers.  And our oldest child will be enrolled in two of my courses!
It was so much fun at the end of last school year seeing the shock and confusion on co-workers' faces when they found out I was retiring (nobody knew that I had purchased 4 years of service using a small portion of my 403b money, which you can roll tax-free into the retirement system).  And now I get to go back as a sort of "professor emeritus", rolling in at 9:30 and out again at 12:30.  I can bike to and from school with our 4th grader, attend all the sports and activities for our 8th and 10th graders, get my run in before school without a rush, and still have loads of time to get stuff done around the house.
The thing I'm most looking forward to are the weekends.  Instead of trying to get everything done in two days (while exhausted from teaching full time and coaching), I will have the energy to travel and do fun things with the family.  I've been inspired by the stories on this site, so thanks to all who have contributed their wisdom over the years.  Our portfolio went from having a little over 100k in 2010 to about 1.4 million earlier this year (don't want to look at it now, but it probably isn't too bad).  The act of retiring early is kind of like having a child - it is a very common occurrence, but you don't really know how it feels until it happens to you.  And then you want to share the joy with everyone.  Thanks for reading.

Wolfpack Mustachian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Wanted to share my joy!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 11:10:40 AM »
Congrats! That sounds like a wonderful situation, and I'm sure it took a lot of hard work to get there. I hope you enjoy it!

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 11:19:08 AM »
That's excellent. Well done!

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 11:26:29 AM »
congratulations! Enjoy your new found freedom, you've definitely earned it.

J.R. Ewing

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 12:13:10 PM »
That's fantastic.  Way to go, Teach!

MoneyTree

• Bristles
    • Journal - The Best Time to Plant a MoneyTree
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 12:18:46 PM »
Wow! This sounds incredible. Congratulations, And thanks for sharing!

bmjohnson35

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 12:22:29 PM »

I love stories like this.  Congrats!

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 12:28:02 PM »
Wow! Congratulations! You earned it!

Ladychips

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 12:35:17 PM »
Outstanding! Congratulations!

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 12:39:38 PM »
That's awesome! Way to go :)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 12:54:49 PM »
That is AWESOME. Hat's off to you.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 01:19:04 PM »
Wonderful! And perhaps soon you will kick that part time job to the curb as well! Math teachers are very hard to fine so I’m not surprised they came after you.

AccidentialMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 02:04:57 PM »
This is the way.

(which you should read as "congrats!")

ScreamingHeadGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 02:20:19 PM »
Hell yea!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 02:37:49 PM »
Congratulations, to you and to your family--this is hugely good for them as well as for you!

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 02:45:43 PM »
This is amazing! Huge congratulations to you!

E.T.

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
That's wonderful! Love reading stories like this. Congrats!

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 10:28:10 PM »
Way to go! Congrats!

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2022, 11:13:26 PM »
Love reading every word of this!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 07:16:23 AM »
Piling on with another congrats. Great story.

Abe Froman

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 07:37:29 AM »
Always great to hear. Congratulations - a lot of hard hard work has paid off.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »
Thank you for sharing your joy, this is wonderful.  Congratulations!

Sandi_k

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 03:13:18 PM »
So awesome!!

Now you need to tell us about the boss and co-workers when you announced your retirement. The shock! The dismay! The awe!

Sweet. ;)

ianw2000uk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2022, 06:13:35 AM »
Our portfolio went from having a little over 100k in 2010 to about 1.4 million earlier this year (don't want to look at it now, but it probably isn't too bad).  The act of retiring early is kind of like having a child - it is a very common occurrence, but you don't really know how it feels until it happens to you.  And then you want to share the joy with everyone.  Thanks for reading.
Congratulations on reaching FIRE well done, an amazing achievement!

Wow your portfolio really did catch Fire to go from 100k to 1.4m in 12 years - fantastic progress! To help us new wannabee Fire'ees would it be ok to ask a few questions?

Which Index funds and/or ETFs do you invest in?
Would be be ok to ask what you invested each year on top of the initial 100k, and the %age growth did you achieve each year to compound it to 1.4m by year 12?

Thank you kindly!

lifeandlimb

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2022, 06:54:42 AM »
Congratulations! Your story is inspiring.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2022, 07:00:16 AM »
Oh!! Congratulations!  How lovely. You give hope to me, we won’t retire at 30 like the poster child for fire and we feel a bit of angst that we’re working while our child is small, but we ought to be able to scale way back with work in 8.5 years and that will allow us to be very involved with our child’s school and to take on projects or work we enjoy at a level that allows us to prioritize what we want out of life.  You’re a great example of that! 

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2022, 10:24:48 AM »
The act of retiring early is kind of like having a child - it is a very common occurrence, but you don't really know how it feels until it happens to you.

This is so funny!!

I have a feeling that raising kids and growing a stash are similar also in that objectively neither really takes ages, but both feel like a slog while you’re in the middle of it…

jpap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2022, 12:44:38 PM »
To answer a few questions:
We contributed about $350K over the past 12 years, but much of it was not done on regular monthly intervals, and some years were much more than others (anywhere from $0 to $30K) in the taxable brokerage accounts, so I can't compute the rate of return without going through 12 years of trades in multiple accounts.  The index funds to which we've contributed the most are the equivalents of the ETFs with symbols VOO, VIG, and VYM. 
However, and I know this was risky and/or dumb, what really made the difference were some individual stocks.  We opened our first taxable brokerage account in 2010 along with Roths at Vanguard.  I remember spending any extra money on AMZN at $190 per share (pre-split), and we now have $253K worth of shares.  $121K in AAPL, $62K in TSLA, $94K in CVX (which gives us well over $3K per year in dividends).  We built these positions slowly between 2010 and today, but mostly between 2010 and 2014.  There are smaller individual holdings, and not all have been winners (GE, Mattell, more recently Rivian), but the winners more than make up for the losers.  Jack Bogle (and many others) would be horrified, but I'm okay with it for now.  My thinking back then was that if all I invest in is index funds, I'm going to get the same return as everyone else in those funds (which would have been fine), and I wanted more, and in some cases it worked out (we spent less than 25K on AMZN, for example).  I may eventually regret this.
The rest is in index funds and ETFs (and quite a bit left in several American Funds offerings from the old days when our 403b didn't have Vanguard funds).  Just looked at our portfolio summary, it is down to 1.13 million (1.4 was peak).  I wouldn't have been comfortable retiring with just the portfolio or with just the pension ($53,652 annually to start, then a complicated COLA), but the combination of the two helps me sleep well.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2022, 01:02:33 PM »
To answer a few questions:
We contributed about $350K over the past 12 years, but much of it was not done on regular monthly intervals, and some years were much more than others (anywhere from $0 to $30K) in the taxable brokerage accounts, so I can't compute the rate of return without going through 12 years of trades in multiple accounts.  The index funds to which we've contributed the most are the equivalents of the ETFs with symbols VOO, VIG, and VYM. 
However, and I know this was risky and/or dumb, what really made the difference were some individual stocks.  We opened our first taxable brokerage account in 2010 along with Roths at Vanguard.  I remember spending any extra money on AMZN at $190 per share (pre-split), and we now have $253K worth of shares.  $121K in AAPL, $62K in TSLA, $94K in CVX (which gives us well over $3K per year in dividends).  We built these positions slowly between 2010 and today, but mostly between 2010 and 2014.  There are smaller individual holdings, and not all have been winners (GE, Mattell, more recently Rivian), but the winners more than make up for the losers.  Jack Bogle (and many others) would be horrified, but I'm okay with it for now.  My thinking back then was that if all I invest in is index funds, I'm going to get the same return as everyone else in those funds (which would have been fine), and I wanted more, and in some cases it worked out (we spent less than 25K on AMZN, for example).  I may eventually regret this.
The rest is in index funds and ETFs (and quite a bit left in several American Funds offerings from the old days when our 403b didn't have Vanguard funds).  Just looked at our portfolio summary, it is down to 1.13 million (1.4 was peak).  I wouldn't have been comfortable retiring with just the portfolio or with just the pension ($53,652 annually to start, then a complicated COLA), but the combination of the two helps me sleep well.

Do you plan to keep these individual stocks now that you are FIRE (or maybe it's barista FIRE with the new job?) and let them ride and see what happens, or will you shift them over the boring index funds?

jpap

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2022, 02:06:01 PM »
I haven't decided what to do about individual stocks.  The holdings in taxable accounts are the problem.  I've started using appreciated shares for charitable donations instead of cash, which over time could help a bit.  I'll probably sell some to help pay for kids' college when the time comes.  If I could magically convert everything to index funds, I probably would, and I'll most likely start doing that in the Roths.  I didn't plan to teach again right away, if at all, but if I don't go back then my daughter and her classmates will be doing AP calculus and AP statistics on an online platform.  They cannot find any math teachers (or science), so the elective courses would go online.  I'm actually excited about it now, getting to do all the fun things and not dealing with any of the bad things.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2022, 03:31:40 PM »
It sounds like a huge win for you and your students, and the added bonus is you’ll be sure your daughter is getting a quality education.

I wish I had been steered into Statistics, (AP or otherwise), as a high school student.

Knowledge is power.

Extramedium

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2022, 08:20:11 PM »
Way to go!

Your joy is my inspiration.  Thanks for sharing it.

nancy33

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2022, 01:04:16 AM »
Congratulations!

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2022, 12:09:10 PM »
Thank you for your example of good planning.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!