Author Topic: Vitamix blender?  (Read 51481 times)

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vitamix blender?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2017, 10:43:58 AM »
I'm always amazed when people seem to know a cost/benefit ratio for something they've never tried. It's an interesting social experiment.

I don't care about cars and as long as it gets me from A to B it doesn't matter. However, I don't deny car enthusiasts that *to them* the experience of a nicer car is definitely worth it for them. I don't call them idiots or suckers because they are experiencing something different than I experience. Especially since I've probably never been in their vehicle or test driven it or could even pick it out of a line up. There are obviously some benefits to a nicer vehicle, be in handling, seat warmers, etc. Stuff that doesn't matter to me. As long as the person purchasing the vehicle has done their research and believes the purchase to be of value (and not just a name, or a color, whatever) then how could I possible deny them that? That is definitely in line with MMM to make a smart, researched purchase that is of value to the purchaser.

The same thing goes here. All the people saying it's an overpriced item that does the same job as a 5 dollar blender has never used the Vitamix. It's amusing.

Doesn't MMM also have a post about quality over quantity? I'd rather have one excellent item that has a 7 year warranty and does the job infinitely better than 20 crappier ones that I have to keep rebuying, spending time going to goodwill, driving there, etc. I have one high quality item that does the trick. It doesn't make me "non-MMM" or a sucker.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2017, 10:49:02 AM »
Have you ever pooped in a diamond toilet?  Do you suppose that you have sufficient experience with toilets to extrapolate the value of diamond vs porcelain?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
Sol, you should keep a word document on your computer in order to copy and paste your opinion every time this comes up.

Am I seriously the only person who thinks this is dumb? 

Look, I'll even concede the point that a fancy blender somehow produces more perfectly blended foodstuffs than an ordinary blender.  Is the result 50% better?  100% better?  Is it 5x as good? 

I drive a Nissan Leaf.  The Tesla Model S is a nicer car, but it's not ten times nicer.  I could literally buy ten Nissan Leafs for the price of one Model S.  They contain very nearly the same amount of materials, they both cost about three cents per mile to drive, and they will both comfortably carry my family at 80 mph on the freeway.  Functionally, they are very similar vehicles, but one of them is a little bit fancier and costs 10x as much.  And it's the exact same deal with the the Vitamix.  It's a luxury product, and you're overpaying for very little increased benefit.

I don't understand why these threads are always chock full of people endorsing overpriced luxury products.  What forum is this again?

I have noted my recommendation in other threads for the Vitamix blender and I have not yet been part of this thread.  But as soon as I saw this thread post, I knew I'd be waiting to see Sol's arguments on why a Vitamix is soooo anti-mustachian.   It's the same rhetoric each time. 

A blender is a tool.  And with all tools, there are varying degrees of usefulness.  A vitamix is a commercial/industrial blender, will blend as a commercial blender, and is superior to an $8 Oster.  There is no questioning that.   You can decide if you want to spend $300-400 on your tool.   It's really not that different than someone buying a $500 espresso machine (OMG MMM has a fancy one!) rather than just having some drip coffee out of your 2.99 Mr coffee from the goodwill.  Or it's not different than the DIY home hero with his harbor freight drill vs someone using a Lithium ion 20v dewault impact driver.   They are tools.   I have NEVER been disappointed by purchasing a higher quality tool.  But have been disappointed numerous times when trying to save a buck on a cheap item.   

So with your argument, I find you chastising those people who want quality items, and I don't believe that you make that same argument elsewhere.   Why the beef with the blender?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2017, 10:57:51 AM »
Sol, you should keep a word document on your computer in order to copy and paste your opinion every time this comes up.

Look, I'll even concede the point that a fancy blender somehow produces more perfectly blended foodstuffs than an ordinary blender.  Is the result 50% better?  100% better?  Is it 5x as good? 

I drive a Nissan Leaf.  The Tesla Model S is a nicer car, but it's not ten times nicer.  I could literally buy ten Nissan Leafs for the price of one Model S.  They contain very nearly the same amount of materials, they both cost about three cents per mile to drive, and they will both comfortably carry my family at 80 mph on the freeway.  Functionally, they are very similar vehicles, but one of them is a little bit fancier and costs 10x as much.  And it's the exact same deal with the the Vitamix.  It's a luxury product, and you're overpaying for very little increased benefit.

I don't understand why these threads are always chock full of people endorsing overpriced luxury products.  What forum is this again?

I have noted my recommendation in other threads for the Vitamix blender and I have not yet been part of this thread.  But as soon as I saw this thread post, I knew I'd be waiting to see Sol's arguments on why a Vitamix is soooo anti-mustachian.   It's the same rhetoric each time. 

A blender is a tool.  And with all tools, there are varying degrees of usefulness.  A vitamix is a commercial/industrial blender, will blend as a commercial blender, and is superior to an $8 Oster.  There is no questioning that.   You can decide if you want to spend $300-400 on your tool.   It's really not that different than someone buying a $500 espresso machine (OMG MMM has a fancy one!) rather than just having some drip coffee out of your 2.99 Mr coffee from the goodwill.  Or it's not different than the DIY home hero with his harbor freight drill vs someone using a Lithium ion 20v dewault impact driver.   They are tools.   I have NEVER been disappointed by purchasing a higher quality tool.  But have been disappointed numerous times when trying to save a buck on a cheap item.   

So with your argument, I find you chastising those people who want quality items, and I don't believe that you make that same argument elsewhere.   Why the beef with the blender?

So . . . the question that I ask myself every time that I ponder purchasing a 'commercial quality' something or other needs to be asked.  Is your blender a source of income for your home where it's life/death essential that you be able to blend on time every time, or can you get away with the much cheaper consumer level appliance?

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:55 AM »

This is totally true.  Really it depends on your use.  I have a vitamix myself.  Was gifted it.  Thought it was the most ridiculous extravagance ever, but hey, lets give this thing a shot.  Turns out it's friggin awesome for blending up smoothies, and way way way better than a $20 oster.  I've used it 5x a week for 12+ years on very difficult blending jobs and it's still going strong.  So for me, it turns out having the really nice tool has been super valuable.

By the same token, if I were a casual "make margs a couple times a summer" kind of blender user, it's totally overkill.

Same thing with a shitty tablesaw or a good one. Sure the shitty one will cut wood, but it's hard to get precise repeatable cuts vs a good one.  For some peeps that's fine.  For others, the better tool is worth the money.  Cheap junk has its place, as does quality.  Vitamix is definitely quality.  Whether your use justifies paying for that quality is a personal choice.

Grande

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2017, 11:29:28 AM »
Love mine. Tip: Buy a reconditioned one and look out for coupons and free shipping. I paid $225 shipped for mine. I bought the 5300

https://www.vitamix.com/shop/certified-reconditioned-5300

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2017, 11:44:34 AM »

So . . . the question that I ask myself every time that I ponder purchasing a 'commercial quality' something or other needs to be asked.  Is your blender a source of income for your home where it's life/death essential that you be able to blend on time every time, or can you get away with the much cheaper consumer level appliance?

In my direct experience, I had a blender already. It ended up being insufficient for my needs. I bought a Vitamix. It was sufficient. I gave away my old one to a neighbor. So, there ya go.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »
Have you ever pooped in a diamond toilet?  Do you suppose that you have sufficient experience with toilets to extrapolate the value of diamond vs porcelain?

Well, I don't eat the contents of a toilet, so maybe I don't have enough experience in that regard.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2017, 11:53:49 AM »
In my direct experience, I had a blender already. It ended up being insufficient for my needs. I bought a Vitamix. It was sufficient. I gave away my old one to a neighbor. So, there ya go.

I needed to get to work so bought a car for 10$ at a yard sale.  The car wouldn't drive, so gave it away to a neighbour and bought a Lamborghini.  It's sufficient for me to get to work.  So, I'd recommend that people buy an exotic sports car . . . it's great value.

. . . aaaaannnnnd that's where your logic falls apart.  :P

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2017, 12:07:49 PM »
There are overwhelmingly two types of posters in this thread:

1) Ones who have never used a Vitamix and say it's a POS huge waste of money,
2) Ones who have used a low end blender and then got a Vitamix and highly recommend it despite the high cost

If you are someone who makes smoothies daily or even several times a week, you can draw your own conclusions from the above.

In my experience the mid-range blenders aren't enough of a step up over the cheapies to justify their mid-tier price points. But I use my blender around 300 days a year.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

1.  People who overpay for consumer goods and then brag about it on a frugality forum.
2.  People who spend their money wisely.

Why is it so hard to admit that something as small and simple as a blender should never cost hundreds of dollars?  They're not rare.  They're not made of expensive parts.  They perform a mundane task that can be performed by a much less costly appliance. 

If you want to brag about your luxury purchases, there are better corners of the internet to go do that.  This thread was not created for that purpose.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2017, 12:20:49 PM »

1) People who have never tried green eggs and ham and say they don't like it, and
2) People who have tried green eggs and ham and love it.

Why is it so hard to admit that something as small and simple as a blender should never cost hundreds of dollars?  They're not rare.  They're not made of expensive parts.  They perform a mundane task that can be performed by a much less costly appliance. 

Curious... how many days a year do you use your blender and how old is it?

Papa bear

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »

1.  People who overpay for consumer goods and then brag about it on a frugality forum.
2.  People who spend their money wisely.

If you want to brag about your luxury purchases, there are better corners of the internet to go do that.  This thread was not created for that purpose.

Ok. to hit closer to you classic MMM people, here's a better analogy. 

Vitamix is to Oster as aluminum frame road bike is to huffy mountain bike. And we still get plenty of bike recommendation threads.

I have a road bike.  It's far superior to my huffy I had when I was 9. And the cost difference was probably the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2017, 12:21:55 PM »
If you want to brag about your luxury purchases, there are better corners of the internet to go do that. This thread was not created for that purpose.

You're finally absolutely correct about something!

Here is why this thread was created, from the OP:

"Another product info request...

Anybody here have experience with the Vitamix blender?  Is it worth the money?  Do they truly last? 

Thanks!"

Your answer is NO, you do not have experience with it, so therefore are not qualified to answer the OP's question. Why haven't you moved on yet?

Go start another thread of people unwisely spending money on stupid consumer goods that you don't understand why they do so. I promise I won't post in it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:24:49 PM by inline five »

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »

Ok. to hit closer to you classic MMM people, here's a better analogy. 

Vitamix is to Oster as aluminum frame road bike is to huffy mountain bike. And we still get plenty of bike recommendation threads.

I have a road bike.  It's far superior to my huffy I had when I was 9. And the cost difference was probably the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But I bought my wife a bike from Target for $70. You WAAAAAAAAAAY overpaid, and are a stupid consumer who spends money unwisely and brags about it on a frugality forum.

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
I use my Vitamix at least once a day, and often several times a day. I think I've already used it about 5 times this morning, and that's just for me -- I don't have a big family and didn't have a bunch of friends over for a brunch party or anything today.

I agree that it's not very useful if you only make an occasional margarita or something, but it's great for so much more than drinks/smoothies. If you've only ever used a "regular" blender, you probably would never think to do with it many of the things a Vitamix can do.

In my case, it makes cooking at home more pleasant and healthy because I use it for sauces, salad dressings, soups, nut butters, home-ground flour, non-dairy milk, date paste (substitute for refined sugar in many recipes), banana soft serve "nice cream," etc. I probably use it for about 80% of the recipes I make. It allows me to DIY a lot more of my basic ingredients (thereby making them cheaper and usually healthier than the store-bought option), and it provides a better (usually much, much better) final product than a regular blender would. Whether the savings on homemade staples and on eating in since the food is so good at home actually balances the cost of the Vitamix over time... I haven't done the math, but I suspect that over the life of the Vitamix, I'll come out ahead.

Putting aside the above, I spent $300 on my refurbished Vitamix a few years back, with a 5-year warranty, but I suspect it will last as long as a new one, which comes with a 15-year warranty. That's $375 worth of $25 cheapo blenders replaced yearly, which is about how often my old blenders tended to die, with obviously much less use than I'm currently putting on my Vitamix.

If the financial argument is not convincing (I admit there are a lot of "ifs")... I like it. I can afford it. I don't spring for the most expensive option all the time, but in this case, it enhances my life enough that it's worth it to me. Isn't that what Mustachianism is about -- making your dollars work for you to give you the best life possible? A Vitamix would probably be meaningless in terms of "life enhancement" to many others, and that's fine -- they can spend that $300 however they see fit.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2017, 02:45:55 PM »
urious... how many days a year do you use your blender and how old is it?

Are you really trying to get into a pissing match over who uses their blender more? And thus, over who has more "blender cred"?

I don't care much about blenders but, I do think some on this forum have taken the idea that " all spending is good as long as I subjectively "value" the item!" a bit far.

inline five

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2017, 03:10:56 PM »
Are you really trying to get into a pissing match over who uses their blender more? And thus, over who has more "blender cred"?

I don't care much about blenders but, I do think some on this forum have taken the idea that " all spending is good as long as I subjectively "value" the item!" a bit far.

It's a logical question. *I* don't value higher end clothing, or cars, or headphones, bikes, etc. So me responding to a question asking if (for example) Bose headphones (or similar variety) are worth it I would respond a resounding NO, as they aren't to me, but I don't listen to a ton of music and my $15 ones work "just as well" as the Bose at getting sounds to my ears.

But I'm not arrogant enough to think that there aren't audiophiles out there who DO value the higher end options much more highly, who use them every day, who would drop the money on a new pair in a heartbeat.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2017, 03:18:57 PM »
But I'm not arrogant enough to think that there aren't audiophiles out there who DO value the higher end options much more highly, who use them every day, who would drop the money on a new pair in a heartbeat.

Audiophiles don't belong on a frugality forum.  This is the wrong place to brag about how much you enjoy overpaying for things.  Here, we value efficiently using resources to get maximum value at minimum cost.

The example quoted above about how people who haven't used a vitamix shouldn't be allowed to comment on them is analogous to saying only Lamborghini drivers should be allowed to comment on whether or not Lambos are worth their price point.  That's silly, the rest of us still drive cars.  We can all spot a ridiculously overpriced luxury item when we see one.

We are each free to make our own value judgments.  We are each free to spend as we see fit.  But people who eagerly pay hundreds of dollars for a blender are not the people who are prepared to embrace the MMM message.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2017, 03:21:49 PM »

I needed to get to work so bought a car for 10$ at a yard sale.  The car wouldn't drive, so gave it away to a neighbour and bought a Lamborghini.  It's sufficient for me to get to work.  So, I'd recommend that people buy an exotic sports car . . . it's great value.

. . . aaaaannnnnd that's where your logic falls apart.  :P

Not even close.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2017, 03:22:36 PM »

This thread was not created for that purpose.

That's funny, I didn't think this was your thread.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »

But people who eagerly pay hundreds of dollars for a blender are not the people who are prepared to embrace the MMM message.

Believe me. I wasn't eager. I cringed and I tried to make do with the one I had. It didn't cut it. I reluctantly got one on sale. And then I appreciated it, and I do so more and more each time I use it. Now I am happy with the purchase.

Why do you think you know the motivations and reasoning behind every post?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 03:27:55 PM by honeybbq »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Now I am happy with the purchase.

I'm glad you like your expensive blender.

shawndoggy

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2017, 03:33:55 PM »
But people who eagerly pay hundreds of dollars for a blender are not the people who are prepared to embrace the MMM message.

Haha the vitamix litmus test!

If you have a vitamix, there's no way on earth you'll ever be able to be financially independent or retire early.  It's impossible with a vitamix.  Cannot be done.

What about a nice mattress?  Who really needs more than a swap meet futon or garage sale bed?

Good cutlery?  What's wrong with ginsu knives?

pots and pans... they sell those at the dollar store, right?

Tools... anybody who buys anywhere but harbor freight is clearly not mustachian?

pens?  One should never have anything more than a free bic, right?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2017, 04:02:16 PM »

It's not so much the vitamix itself, it's the mentality that results in buying one.

That's okay, not everyone is interested in learning the ways of the mustache.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Like "Marmalade". Not like an ailing French cat.
« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2017, 04:36:55 PM »

It's not so much the vitamix itself, it's the mentality that results in buying one.

That's okay, not everyone is interested in learning the ways of the mustache.

I don't know, my dad was probably the ultimate MMM'er and had a Vitamix that he used daily for 20-some years.  I think it's prudent to buy quality things that will last if you put them to lots of use.  In fact, I would say that it's unmustachian to burn through a series of cheap blenders over your lifetime and toss them in the landfill. 

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2017, 04:56:53 PM »
I think a vitamix doesn't make sense if you are drowning in debt or aren't saving a large percentage of your income. 

If you are already have your finances in a row, I see nothing wrong with buying something of good quality.  But then again, I grew up with a lot of cheap junk that broke and was unreliable because it was all we could afford.  Or put another way - I'd rather have fewer things, of higher quality, than a bunch of cheap junk.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2017, 06:12:49 PM »
I think a vitamix doesn't make sense if you are drowning in debt or aren't saving a large percentage of your income. 

If you are already have your finances in a row, I see nothing wrong with buying something of good quality.  But then again, I grew up with a lot of cheap junk that broke and was unreliable because it was all we could afford.  Or put another way - I'd rather have fewer things, of higher quality, than a bunch of cheap junk.

While there's certainly value to owning fewer good quality things than tons of junk . . . I think that there's often a happy middle ground between terrible crap and extremely expensive stuff.

You might not be well served with the 40 year old Soviet made rust bucket, but you might not need the lambo.  Maybe a Corolla will work just fine?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2017, 06:28:23 PM »

While there's certainly value to owning fewer good quality things than tons of junk . . . I think that there's often a happy middle ground between terrible crap and extremely expensive stuff.

You might not be well served with the 40 year old Soviet made rust bucket, but you might not need the lambo.  Maybe a Corolla will work just fine?

How expensive is your bike?  Do you have more than 1?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
So I dont even want or need a blender but ....

I read a few comparisons of the vitamax vs the ninja and they said basically the same thing, vitamax is slightly better by WAAAAAAY the fuck more money. 

To the OP are you blending stuff now?  Before jumping in with both credit cards maybe it would be smart to drop a Jackson at Goodwill to see if you really like it and continue with it.  If el-chepo does not work well enough and you are using the blender regularly then come back to the vitamax question.

Personally I am not sure there is anything in my kitchen I could spend 600$.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2017, 07:49:18 PM »

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »
Vitamix refurbed, $279:

https://www.vitamix.com/Shop/Certified-Reconditioned-Standard-Programs

If we're going to compare used items, I should point out that goodwill blenders rarely go for more than $7.  You're still overpaying by more than 1,000%.

EricL

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »
I like my Vitamix.  Was it a bad purchase?  Maybe.  It's not like I've never made any bad purchases before.  And recently I've proven I can make staggeringly silly purchases that I knew beforehand were staggeringly silly.  And for a lot more money.  But I make up for it in other ways like not owning a car. 

If people want to get bent out of shape by dumb shit I buy that's their heartache.  I'm still FIRE'd.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2017, 10:13:05 PM »
So I dont even want or need a blender but ....

I read a few comparisons of the vitamax vs the ninja and they said basically the same thing, vitamax is slightly better by WAAAAAAY the fuck more money. 

I don't know about the Ninja, but the Vitamix will last a long, long time.  It's seriously a BIFL purchase.  I'm not really into Vitamix smoothies (my mom's creative smoothies killed any desire for me) but my parents' blenders were workhorses that easily lasted 15-20 years with daily use.

If there were dishwashers or washing machines that I knew would last that long, I'd definitely pay a premium for the longevity and knowing that I'm not buying into the disposable economy.  Unfortunately, most appliances seem to be pretty crappy these days, so I based my decisions on price.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2017, 01:16:17 AM »
Ha ha ha the Vitamix debate in all its glory. I knew SOL would get involved.

I still want one. Still want a Kitchenaid stand mixer, too. Husband still won't let me get either, even off craigslist, so I make do with my hand mixer from our wedding registry and our $30 ninja from craigslist. It's fine. They both get me by. We both have full time jobs so we don't have time to get too fancy in the kitchen.

However, I think a vitamix is a badass awesome kitchen appliance and if we weren't trying to put two kids through daycare while holding down dayjobs I'd be all over a refurb, husband be damned.

And my feeling on whether it's mustachian or not runs thus: if you have the money and you'll actually use the thing all the time[/i], like at least once/day and preferably even more, like one poster upthread who uses the hell out of theirs and even grinds their own flour, c'mon SOL you have to concede that's pretty badass, then the vitamix becomes a pretty mustachian buy. One appliance that does a frickton of useful stuff. What's not to love? I've seen 'em on craigslist for $150. Seems worth it to me.

If it's gathering dust in the pantry, then you are an anti mustachian and you might live in a McMansion. We shall face-punch you.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #85 on: July 13, 2017, 01:12:22 PM »

Yep, I've got two.  My fancy steel touring bike was new for 800$, and my aluminum winter bike was 400$.  I was able to avoid buying a car for five years by using this setup, so by my calculations it ended up paying for itself.  I wouldn't recommend that you get two bikes unless you're cycling through salty winters (very hard on components), and wouldn't recommend that you spend as much as I did for my touring bike though.

I've put over 20,000 km on a vitamix and a half of bikes.  :P

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »

Yep, I've got two.  My fancy steel touring bike was new for 800$, and my aluminum winter bike was 400$.  I was able to avoid buying a car for five years by using this setup, so by my calculations it ended up paying for itself.  I wouldn't recommend that you get two bikes unless you're cycling through salty winters (very hard on components), and wouldn't recommend that you spend as much as I did for my touring bike though.

I've put over 20,000 km on a vitamix and a half of bikes.  :P

I feel like, as long as one has no debt (other than mortgage) and is saving close to 50% of income (like I am), then $270 for a high quality tool that gets used is not an issue. 

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2017, 02:07:26 PM »
I feel like, as long as one has no debt (other than mortgage) and is saving close to 50% of income (like I am), then $270 for a high quality tool that gets used is not an issue.

A blender is not a tool.  You do not use a blender to create anything of value.  A blender is an appliance that makes your life easier by reducing the amount of work you have to do in order to satiate your desire for comfort and luxury.  It's more like a remote control or a riding lawnmower than a nail gun or a circular saw.  It's an appliance that serves a function, and that can function can be met at a very reasonable cost or a ridiculously overpriced luxury good cost.

Stop comparing a vitamix to a tool and then trying to use that comparison to justify your luxury purchases.  Tools are used to make money, or create something of value.  Unless you run a Jamba Juice or a nut butter blog, a blender is not a tool for you.

I can't believe we're still talking about this.  This forum was strayed so far from its foundational roots that I don't even recognize you people anymore.  Next stop:  "flying first class, it's totally worth it!"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:11:15 PM by sol »

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2017, 02:27:38 PM »

A blender is not a tool.  You do not use a blender to create anything of value.  A blender is an appliance that makes your life easier by reducing the amount of work you have to do in order to satiate your desire for comfort and luxury.  It's more like a remote control or a riding lawnmower than a nail gun or a circular saw.  It's an appliance that serves a function, and that can function can be met at a very reasonable cost or a ridiculously overpriced luxury good cost.

Stop comparing a vitamix to a tool and then trying to use that comparison to justify your luxury purchases.  Tools are used to make money, or create something of value.  Unless you run a Jamba Juice or a nut butter blog, a blender is not a tool for you.

I can't believe we're still talking about this.  This forum was strayed so far from its foundational roots that I don't even recognize you people anymore.  Next stop:  "flying first class, it's totally worth it!"

MMM, to me is not about doing everything as cheaply as humanly possible.  It's about balance.  Others spend $$ on bikes.  Or travel.  I don't.  I spend $$ on things that help me cook and eat better.  You might not value what a vitamix can do.  I do.  Maybe we can just leave it at that.  Probably not though, sol seems to like getting in the last word.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2017, 02:46:31 PM »
A blender is not a tool.  You do not use a blender to create anything of value.

I certainly value delicious food, prepared well.  The Vitamix is capable of doing a lot of things that a cheap blender simply can't (or can't without burning out its motor).

MMM, to me is not about doing everything as cheaply as humanly possible.  It's about balance.  Others spend $$ on bikes.  Or travel.  I don't.  I spend $$ on things that help me cook and eat better.  You might not value what a vitamix can do.  I do.  Maybe we can just leave it at that.  Probably not though, sol seems to like getting in the last word.

Exactly.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2017, 04:48:41 PM »

A blender is not a tool.  You do not use a blender to create anything of value. 

Dammit I told myself no more quoting sol.

A blender is definitely a tool.
noun
an implement, especially one held in the hand, as a hammer, saw, or file, for performing or facilitating mechanical operations.
any instrument of manual operation.
the cutting or machining part of a lathe, planer, drill, or similar machine.
the machine itself; a machine tool.
anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose

And it does create something of value. Particularly in my situation which I've preferred not to get into. You make smoothies, flours, butters, soup, etc. We've already described it creates delicious nourishment for eating. It is definitely an expensive tool, but it IS a tool nonetheless. A tool does not have to "make" something you can sell to be a tool. If you require that it makes money, that's a business expense.

Tow Pro

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Live and Let Die
    • Towing Madison TN
« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2017, 05:05:31 PM »
This might sound funny coming from the tow pro, but I use a vitamix just about every day once I started watching Dan the Man on youtube. I will say I started with a Ninja, and the vitamix blows it away. But the ninja is way cheaper. My 2 cents.

marshdesign

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
We got ours for 100 dollars off using the bed bath and beyond 20 percent off coupon. I do wish we got it cheaper though. We use it very rarely because it is a beast to clean. It is a great blender through.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2017, 06:33:08 PM »
We use it very rarely because it is a beast to clean.

Try putting in a drop of dish soap with hot water and blending it.  Should clean up in a snap!  :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2017, 06:49:06 PM »
We got ours for 100 dollars off using the bed bath and beyond 20 percent off coupon. I do wish we got it cheaper though. We use it very rarely because it is a beast to clean. It is a great blender through.

For things like smoothies you can just add hot water & soap & run it on high for a minute or so.  For sticky stuff like nut butters, I use a baby bottle cleaner to get the main chunks, then do the soap/water/blend on high to finish up.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2017, 11:43:34 PM »
This thread is hilarious. You have one group of people saying they're happy with the blender they have, which they purchased at a fraction of the cost of a Vitamix. And then you have another group, the Vitamix group, telling them that the Vitamix is much better and worth it.  Hey, I guess even the personal finance circle has its own version of peer pressure and consumer peddling. I've noticed there are certain brands and items which are popular in the PF circle, but I do question the true lifestyle value an insanely expensive bllender could add, particularly if what you've been using already works. Don't drink the Kool-Aid smoothie, if you already enjoy the flavor you have.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #96 on: July 14, 2017, 12:01:44 AM »

1) Ones who have never used a Vitamix and say it's a POS huge waste of money,
2) Ones who have used a low end blender and then got a Vitamix and highly recommend it despite the high cost

If you are someone who makes smoothies daily or even several times a week, you can draw your own conclusions from the above.

In my experience the mid-range blenders aren't enough of a step up over the cheapies to justify their mid-tier price points. But I use my blender around 300 days a year.

3) People who are happy with their much less expensive blenders, but are quickly told by others that what they have is basically a POS compared to the oh holy Vitamix, and they don't know what they are missing (which, in my opinion, is actually one of the main benefits of frugality).

I really wish I knew what this phenomenon was where groups of people in the PF world adopt certain trendy, expensive consumerist items, and try to encourage others to buy into it as well. I see it around here a lot with bikes that cost several thousand dollars. Yeah everyone can choose how to spend their money, but just because a certain type of person condones certain consumer product, doesn't make it any less susceptible to face punches.  And to try to defend it so vehemently, means you are still in that consumerist zombie state. Own up to it instead of trying to pass it off as if it is a financially shrewd, and lifestyle-changing product. It is not. If you think so, then your expectations of a certain lifestyle are both too high and too low.

Meowmalade

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:44 AM »
3) People who are happy with their much less expensive blenders, but are quickly told by others that what they have is basically a POS compared to the oh holy Vitamix, and they don't know what they are missing (which, in my opinion, is actually one of the main benefits of frugality).

I don't see anyone trying to convince everyone else that they must own a Vitamix.  I just see people who own one explaining why they find it valuable and possibly worth the expense.

Lmoot

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal
« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2017, 12:17:10 AM »

I don't see anyone trying to convince everyone else that they must own a Vitamix.  I just see people who own one explaining why they find it valuable and possibly worth the expense.

There were a couple comments that stood out to me and this particular thread, but I don't like calling specific people out. I was speaking more to other vita mix debates  i've read around here.

NorthernBlitz

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2017, 03:38:40 AM »
Audiophiles don't belong on a frugality forum.

It's interesting because I don't think of this as a frugality forum (MMM seems to be quite different than something like ERE to me).

I think of it as a forum where people can discuss how people can discuss (1) how use money is a tool (2) that there is such a thing as enough money and (3) how to mindfully use money to try to optimize quality of life / happiness. You can only optimize for one thing at a time (i.e. you have to pick between consumerism vs. frugality vs. happiness).

That's kind of what I get from reading MMM and listening to interviews like the one he did with Tim Ferriss.

For example: I pay $3 / month for my cell phone bill. Someone who follows MMM's advice and gets Google FI will spend at least $200 / year more than I do (even if they're like me and don't use cell data). That's in perpetuity. If they use their phone more than I do (or if someone uses a data plan), I think that's OK if they are doing it while thinking about how that fits into their financial plans. I think it's not OK if they are spending that kind of money without thinking about it because everyone else is doing it.

Aside: I also think that equating "wasting" $200 - $300 dollars on a blender (if someone uses it a lot) to "wasting" thousands to tens of thousands of dollars on extravagant cars is a false equivalency (provide someone already has achieved a certain amount of net worth).