Author Topic: Vermont offering remote worker incentives  (Read 1338 times)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
Vermont offering remote worker incentives
« on: January 07, 2019, 10:21:19 AM »
Anybody interested in moving to Vermont?  Could get up to 10k in reimbursement for moving expenses/remote working costs:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/01/03/vermont-10000-work-remotely

terran

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vermont offering remote worker incentives
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 01:20:13 PM »
Interesting. Seems to be a bit of a trend. Tulsa Oklahoma announced a similar program a few months ago: https://tulsaremote.com/

Similar, but different: my wife was telling me the other day about an NPR story she listened to about some student loan forgiveness program Maine is running for recent college graduates who move there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:21:58 PM by terran »

abbysmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
We have been following this for a while now, but the article makes it a bit different than we thought, in that you have to move there first, and then you have to be selected for the program. 
On the interest in the program so far, and who gets selected for it:

“We already have applicants. … There's been tremendous activity already. The website has received about 10,000 hits just on that page alone, and we're getting inquiries that are legitimate inquiries, not just, 'Oh, pay me 10,000.' So we are quite enthused.

“Basically, [it’s] first come, first served. So as soon as somebody fills out a complete application, the application will require verification from the employer that this person is indeed an employee working remotely for them. They will need proof of residency in Vermont. So as soon as we get a fully complete application, we'll be able to issue a grant agreement.”

we are older workers, and it is just our luck we would pay to move there and then not be accepted into the program, if there is some aspect of competing for the program.  And just what does young mean, and isn't this a form of age discrimination? 

But yeah, we've been considering this for a while now.

big_slacker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 09:32:58 AM »
This is interesting. I build and operating worldwide remote access systems. I wonder what their planned scale is and if they need to or have even thought about beefing up their infra. I suspect they won't need to since it'll probably be in the thousands rather than tens or hundreds of thousands.

I do love the idea though, not just for people that might to get to live in a cheaper/less populated locale but also to open up companies to remote work. It funny because many companies are very open to hiring out customer service to India or the Philippines but want all their information workers to commute into a box in a particular city to sit on webex meetings. :D

verfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 10:30:41 AM »
I relocated to VT, as a remote worker, before this program came into effect.  There are quite a few of us.

What is amusing to me is that this program has done more for marketing VT as a place to live and work remote, than the official marketing budget that was passed in the same bill.  Obviously, there is a synergy, but the amount of national coverage this got is impressive.

But as others have pointed out, it's really an expenses refund program.  You apply for the state to give you money for some qualifying expenses, post-facto.  Of course that's a complicated headline to write in our click-bait world.

Our city recently refurbed a city owned house, and gave it away to the winner of an essay contest about why they want to move here.

If you are in a town or city in VT, it's quite doable to be a remote worker.  We have cable internet, over which I spend all day video conferencing, and I can take a break and go skiing, or snowshoeing, or hiking, or kayaking, or motorcycling or any number of other outdoor activities.  At the same time, I can walk to downtown of our small city and to all the services I need.  I can ride my bike the other direction and play on mountains whose other side are some of the biggest ski resorts in the east.  There is a train into NYC and beyond, and local airport has flights to Boston.

I imagine some can guess what city I'm in 8^)

WynnDuffy73

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 05:15:58 AM »
I attended a wedding in Vermont last year.  Beautiful area but there was zero cell reception.  It was a outdoor wedding and everyone’s phones were completely useless regardless of carrier. 

abbysmom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 07:23:32 AM »
This is one of our fears about moving there.  We need fast Internet because we both work remotely at home.
Where can you get good fast internet--I saw the Frugalwoods were saying they had that, but they live in a very high cost area, near Dartmouth.  Very expensive housing costs.

verfrugal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 09:49:26 AM »
If you live up in the hills, then you likely are going to depend on cellular.  I have friends who live in a homestead off-grid that was a deer hunting camp, and they stream netflix and work online using their cellular data connection.  Would not count on that for video conferencing tho.

If you are in/near a town, or in a valley than you likely will have dsl, cable or cellular to choose from.

There are many places to choose from that are not very expensive.  Here in Rutland, we got a ~1200 sq ft. brick house with attached garage under it, on just under an acre, in the city, for 160k about 3 years ago.   We have put maybe 60k into it with new roof, new insulation, solar panels, new windows, fence.  Hot tub not included in that estimate, heh.  Marvelous community too.  Great local food scene and farmers market.

People often think of houses up in the mountains, or the "suburbs" around Burlington, but there are alot of other places in VT, that are cheaper, and more convenient for mustachian living.

FIRE@50

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
I attended a wedding in Vermont last year.  Beautiful area but there was zero cell reception.  It was a outdoor wedding and everyone’s phones were completely useless regardless of carrier.
This sounds like an ideal wedding situation.

littlebird

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
I love Vermont and have a lot of family there, but they'd need to pay me a lot more than $10,000 to get me to move there. In my experience it's not a very LCOL area and the whole reason they're running this offer is because all the young people are leaving the state! I fear that eventually the only people left will be the elderly and folks with no other options. I hope that remote work options can bring some working age people back because it really is a lovely place.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 07:53:06 AM »
I'm interested in this, I love New England.  I'd refer NH over VT but both are beautiful and I love the climate with 4 real seasons to have winter and summer fun.  But the way I read it is that you have to have an employer, you can't do this if your're an entrepreneur with an LLC etc.  Too bad, if that we're the case I might apply.

slappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »

I got married in northern NH for this exact reason. ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 08:55:07 AM »
This is one of our fears about moving there.  We need fast Internet because we both work remotely at home.
Where can you get good fast internet--I saw the Frugalwoods were saying they had that, but they live in a very high cost area, near Dartmouth.  Very expensive housing costs.

How do the Frugalwoods live in a high cost area? They have a MASSIVE property with a mortgage under $1,400. Their costs, minus all the homestead equipment spending, seem very low (they chronicle them all...)

They apparently had a heck of a time finding cell phone service, but their property came with fiber optic internet, IIRC. It would probably cost a ton to install if one didn't.

Honestly, the $10,000 is pretty meager. I'd adore living in Vermont, my family is from that area; but that's not enough to make a move.

dhc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 06:41:35 PM »
I was possibly excited about this (grew up there so I heard about it many months ago before it got national press), but the final program leaves something to be desired: not only is it only possible to apply after moving (no guarantee you'll get the grant as you're planning), but they only reimburse specific expenses not covered by an employer (though relocation is one such expense). Other than relocation and possibly membership in a co-working space (which should not cost $10,000 a year!), I find it hard to think of any expenses mentioned that wouldn't likely be covered by any employer willing to let an employee work remotely in the first place. Really seems like just making it a grant rather than expense reimbursement would have made more sense.

Edit: and now that I look, the grant's only for $5000 the first year and it's first come, first serve all over again the second year? Ugh. Talk about taking a good idea and putting as much red tape as possible around it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:43:57 PM by dhc »