Author Topic: Vanguard question  (Read 3782 times)

andrea-stache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard question
« on: February 25, 2015, 05:02:45 PM »
Did anyone else get an email from Vanguard today with a new 1099 Div...this one a consolidated DIV?

I called Vanguard to find out what was up with it.  We filed our taxes already and had our 1099-DIV from them back on 1-16-15.  They said it is a second form which is ADDITIVE to the first form.

Anyone else experiencing this?  Weren't all forms due out by 2/15???  Today is 2/25!!

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Vanguard question
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 05:37:01 PM »
If you look at their tax form schedule the tax forms for brokerage accounts print in mid Feb. 

Well looking at it now won't do any good, it just says "now available" but I was looking at it a few weeks ago because I was missing the dividends on an ETF on the first form.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:55:59 PM »
This is for their brokerage accounts, their other forms were for taxable non-brokerage.  I thought I was all good too until my dad mentioned it to me, and I realized my 1099 Div didn't have anything from my brokerage (ETF's).

You'll have to modify your taxes...

So they've changed the dates multiple times.  I think it was 2/14, then 2/19, then last was 2/27, but they sent it out today...

iluvzbeach

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:44:30 PM »
Yes, we received the same email yesterday for some accounts I'm on with my mother. Frustrating.

SaintM

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:47:20 PM »
They are supposed to send forms by 2/15, but that doesn't mean they can't send corrected forms as the underlying companies recharacterize distributions from dividends to long term capital gain distributions, return of capital, qualified or unqualified dividends, or even adjust the reporting year.

I get corrected forms as late as October most years.  I'm not sure what good does that does for me.

retired?

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
Side note - although I will be receiving a refund this year, I am waiting given the news regarding delayed checks.  I am not desperate for the $$ so I am fine waiting for any kinks to be worked out.

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 12:28:07 AM »
I actually emailed Vanguard about not having my forms a few days ago. They replied saying that the IRS gave some sort of extension this year due to new regulations. I'll check my account today, but it sounds like they finally made them available.

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 12:36:41 PM »
Even though I usually get a refund, I put off filing my taxes as long as possible for exactly this reason.  Nothing says "pain in the ass" like having to figure out how to file an amended return that wasn't part of your original tax software.

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
Do you own any REITs?

wuj818

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:52:40 AM »
We filed our taxes already and had our 1099-DIV from them back on 1-16-15.  They said it is a second form which is ADDITIVE to the first form.

You most likely upgraded to a brokerage account last year and that's why you're getting two sets of forms this year. Next year you'll only get one set.

When I got my mutual fund forms this year my 4th quarter dividends were missing (upgraded my account) so I knew I had to wait.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 08:54:43 AM by wuj818 »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!