Author Topic: Useless Crap I Can't Believe People Buy  (Read 66342 times)

frugalcalan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Useless Crap I Can't Believe People Buy
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »

I'd go even further: a suit, by its very nature, is designed to eliminate any aesthetic value in one's attire.

Wut?  Let me just say that, as a woman, I believe that suits are to women what lingerie is to men.

palvar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »
I'd go even further: a suit, by its very nature, is designed to eliminate any aesthetic value in one's attire.

I disagree wholeheartedly; a suit that is well tailored to your body will make you look better.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

A poorly fitting suit, maybe.

Anyway, I think we're squarely in opinion/culture territory here. My only beef was to call a person wearing a suit a schmuck simply because he was wearing a suit. One could easily call a person a schmuck for, say, being a slave to caffeine culture, or being duped by Big Organic, or whatever. It's not necessary or productive.

Might as well say, "My way of being 'mustachian' is the only way I can see possible."

But I think I'm beating a dead horse. :)

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2012, 12:45:47 PM »

A poorly fitting suit, maybe.

Anyway, I think we're squarely in opinion/culture territory here. My only beef was to call a person wearing a suit a schmuck simply because he was wearing a suit. One could easily call a person a schmuck for, say, being a slave to caffeine culture, or being duped by Big Organic, or whatever. It's not necessary or productive.

Might as well say, "My way of being 'mustachian' is the only way I can see possible."

But I think I'm beating a dead horse. :)

Haha, I suppose I could have chose my words better. When I said schmuck I was just thinking that I felt sorry for those guys. I don't know anyone that is excited about dressing that way day after day after day because they must.

As a disclaimer, I am not native to the office environment. I typically work out in the oil field. This is a temporary training assignment.

igthebold

• Bristles
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:22 PM »
Haha, I suppose I could have chose my words better. When I said schmuck I was just thinking that I felt sorry for those guys. I don't know anyone that is excited about dressing that way day after day after day because they must.

As a disclaimer, I am not native to the office environment. I typically work out in the oil field. This is a temporary training assignment.

Fair enough. Sorry for being pedantic, then.

But you don't have to feel sorry for them. Unless they're jerks and think they're better than you based on clothing.. then you can feel sorry for them. :)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »

i disagree! dudes look awesome in well-fitted suits, and there are tons of variations to add interest.

I disagree.  The looking awesome is a matter of taste (and I'm not genetically equipped to think any guy looks awesome :-)), but variations?  Navy blue pinstripe, dark grey pinstripe, maybe - if you're the wild sort who flouts conventions - even brown pinstripe.  That's pretty much it.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2012, 05:11:03 PM »

i disagree! dudes look awesome in well-fitted suits, and there are tons of variations to add interest.

I disagree.  The looking awesome is a matter of taste (and I'm not genetically equipped to think any guy looks awesome :-)), but variations?  Navy blue pinstripe, dark grey pinstripe, maybe - if you're the wild sort who flouts conventions - even brown pinstripe.  That's pretty much it.

no, there are tons of different patterns, textures, weights, colors, and fabrics to choose from -- glen plaid and seersucker and tweed and linen and velvet. wide lapels or narrow? 1, 2, or 3 buttons? slim cut or traditional? what combination of sweater  / vest / shirt / tie? there are lots of choices to make, and i am not even a menswear expert so what i've listed here is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »
no, there are tons of different patterns, textures, weights, colors, and fabrics to choose from -- glen plaid and seersucker and tweed and linen and velvet. wide lapels or narrow? 1, 2, or 3 buttons? slim cut or traditional? what combination of sweater  / vest / shirt / tie? there are lots of choices to make, and i am not even a menswear expert so what i've listed here is just the tip of the iceberg.

Just as there are a million or so species of beetles.  Can you tell them apart?

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2012, 05:40:54 AM »

Just as there are a million or so species of beetles.  Can you tell them apart?

certainly, at least some of them.

my point is you not liking suits is not the same thing as suits sucking. you not being interested in learning about the options doesn't mean there aren't any.

and i'm POSITIVE you could tell the difference between a blue linen 2-button suit and a charcoal herringbone 3-button suit. and i'm positive that if you tried on a suit that fit you well and one that didn't, you would also be ale to tell the difference. it's not rocket science

Sparky

• Stubble
« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »
I'm kinda in shock that people here had such opinions on office formal wear....

Was walking around an REI store the other day in NYC and I've come to realize that there is a lot of really useless travel gear marketed towards people that see a product and think they need it, but really it serves zero practical purpose. I really think anti slash devices are the worst offender (wire nets that cover a bag/backpack), along with travel toothbrushes and door lock alarms.

dionysiandame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2012, 08:00:55 AM »
Coach bags drive me nuts. I live with 4 girls and they all have at least 1 of them, and 1 girl has at least 4.... Waste of money from hell.

Nothing against tea kettles.... I use them lots.

Fashion in general is the big WTF in my life. I don't see any purpose in the slightest why people are forced to wear 'suits' into business offices. Do these offices have shares and vested interests in companies that sell the damn things? They are warm, if not sweaty, but not that useful in winter, require expensive cleaning, ironing and folding, and mind blow expensive. But how can I judge this "fashion", I wear Carharts and the same (free) hoodie for the past 9 years to work.....

I work in a sizable office building. My attire for work is jeans, a shirt, a hoodie(since it's winter) and Vans shoes. I've got near shoulder length hair.

When I ride the elevator I see shmucks dressed in suits. They look at me disapprovingly, probably wondering if I work here or am going to see someone with a real job. Odds are I make far more than they do. It amuses me daily.

So many things I agree with I had to keep both posts. One of my girlfriends is over $25k in debt and decided she just had to spend $1500 for a Gucci purse. She's taking me shopping this weekend and only agreed to go the thrift store of my choice after her BFF said she shopped their all the time. I guess it's "fashionable" now. *eye roll*

I don't get the whole spending tons of money on fashion either. I've found a way to maker gamer tee-shirts, button ups, and khaki cargo pants work; sure I look like a guy, but I'm comfortable and look put together. And, I hate to say it, but I noticed my male coworkers take the women who downplay their dress a lot more seriously then those who put all this effort into their makeup, shoes, and handbags. Then again, I work in IT, and I'm aware there is sexism to be found in the field.

I don't understand the need for brand new luxury cars when you're making under 90k a year. Especially when you meet some of the VP's and they're driving Hondas or Hyundais and they're making considerably more than that.

I don't get bath and body products that cost tons of money due to "rare ingredients." Most of these ingredients (like oat oil, argan oil, etc) can be purchased for the same price and then you just add them to whatever products you have. I have a bottle of oat oil that cost me about $20 and I just add some to my body lotion, generic body wash, and hair butter. Compare that to constantly buying Aveeno products and the savings stack up.

I will say I think spending money on good kitchen utensils is essential, so I have shelled out a pretty penny for cast iron or ceramic cookware I know will last for years to come.

amyable

• Bristles
« Reply #111 on: December 08, 2012, 08:30:40 AM »
  I don't get the whole spending tons of money on fashion either. I've found a way to maker gamer tee-shirts, button ups, and khaki cargo pants work; sure I look like a guy, but I'm comfortable and look put together. 

I've always been a tomboy, and I am lucky enough to work in a field where practical dressing is encouraged (teaching middle school in a rural area).  I basically wear slacks, a t-shirt or button-down, a cardigan and flats or canvas sneakers everyday.  I have a few cute pieces of jewelry from etsy and 2 or 3 scarves.

The funny thing is, I CONSTANTLY get compliments on how "put together" I always look!  Women at my work place always ask me how I have time to pick such "cute outfits."  My secret:  I don't own that much clothing, and it's all really easy to mix and match. 

However, I can completely understand spending much more on clothing in a larger city with a different career.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #112 on: December 08, 2012, 08:51:10 AM »
To be fair, the collective sense of fashion in America is a huge joke that transcends income inequality, gender, and upbringing. Many people dismiss 'fashion' as a girly thing, hoping that throwing money at the problem will take care of things. They end up buying expensive clothes that don't fit, mixing squares and stripes, and other atrocities...

Looking sharp, at least for men, is about stability (projecting both confidence and respect), balance, and subtle details. It's not rocket science.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #113 on: December 08, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
and i'm POSITIVE you could tell the difference between a blue linen 2-button suit and a charcoal herringbone 3-button suit.

Sure, I can tell the difference between blue and gray, but if you consider all the possible shades of blue - from sky-at-dawn to glacial ice through peacock's tail to Crater Lake on a clear day - just what tiny fraction of that range is going to be acceptable in a "blue" suit?  And fabric?  Where are your velvets, satins, silks, brocades?  And having two or three buttons is a significant difference?

...and i'm positive that if you tried on a suit that fit you well and one that didn't, you would also be ale to tell the difference.

Oh, no doubt.  But could I comfortably ride a bike in that suit?  Spend the day hiking the local mountains, ride the horse, work in the yard?  I doubt it.

it's not rocket science

Too bad, 'cause I understand rocket science :-)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #114 on: December 08, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
I don't get the whole spending tons of money on fashion either. I've found a way to maker gamer tee-shirts, button ups, and khaki cargo pants work; sure I look like a guy...

Bet you don't :-)  I'd also bet that (all else being equal) you not only get more respect than your fashionista female coworkers, you get more dates, too.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #115 on: December 08, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »
Wut?  Let me just say that, as a woman, I believe that suits are to women what lingerie is to men.
Sweet! This is just the piece of advice I needed...

I'm going to start wearing my suit to bed and see if it piques my wife's interest. Just don't expect me to report back.

pka222

• Stubble
« Reply #116 on: December 08, 2012, 01:05:12 PM »
The eclectic tea kettle  wins - in energy costs at least- if you get one used for a buck - then it will be cheaper for sure. 
http://blog.plotwatt.com/2009/08/best-way-to-boil-water.html

Answer: In the grand scheme of home energy usage, it turns out the savings you could gain by changing your habits on this one aren’t huge. In fact, even if you boiled a quart of water every day, the cost difference between the best performer (the electric kettle) and the worst performer (the microwave) would only be about $4 per year.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2012, 09:55:49 PM »
Not if you make a cup of tea per day, or less.

aces2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2012, 01:34:28 AM »
I can't believe people pay ACTUAL MONEY to let little fish eat the dead skin off of their feet!  1.  Umm, gross.  Who were the last 100 people to have their feet in that pool of water?  2.  $30+ to feel "fancy" while all the while compounding the chances you'll contract hepatitis with every passing minute.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #119 on: December 09, 2012, 08:18:03 AM »

I agree!  Anytime my husband puts on his suit, I just want to take it right back off again ;)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2012, 01:04:24 PM »
Two thoughts about suits:

1. I'm not a fashion person, so I think the biggest upside of suits is the opportunity for autopilot dressing. Very few people in my part of the world will notice if you wear the same suit every Wednesday. I often tell my husband that I'm going to put together a casual uniform for myself and the kids.

2. I understand that lots of women find suits attractive, and a well-fitting suit can be appealing, but show me a fit man in a tool-belt and I'm a goner. ;)

dionysiandame

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2012, 01:25:04 PM »

2. I understand that lots of women find suits attractive, and a well-fitting suit can be appealing, but show me a fit man in a tool-belt and I'm a goner. ;)

I told my husband that I watch "Dirty Jobs" because it's "educational" and has nothing to do with me loving Mike Rowe in jeans and boots.

spider1204

• Stubble
« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2012, 09:16:59 PM »
Now that it's that time of year, I think those reindeer antlers that people put on their cars certainly deserve to be on this list.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #123 on: December 11, 2012, 01:39:35 PM »
A squirrel for your beard. http://imgur.com/y779M
Car eye lashes. Actually, most accessories for your car.
That ear sucking vacuum thing ... actually anything in an infomercial
Some new spinning stir fry thing I saw on a commercial on TV. Apparently it makes stir fry for you while u wait.
Those electric fireplaces u hang on a wall or even have inserted.

norvilion

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2012, 01:49:01 PM »
I hate to say it, but if I had a beard quite that long the squirrel would be downright tempting just for the ridiculousness of it. Luckily I fill in the need for occasional ridiculous attire with a turtle hat I inherited quite some time ago and a business shirt so bright and colorful it'll put your eye out.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2012, 01:58:06 PM »
I hate to say it, but if I had a beard quite that long the squirrel would be downright tempting just for the ridiculousness of it. Luckily I fill in the need for occasional ridiculous attire with a turtle hat I inherited quite some time ago and a business shirt so bright and colorful it'll put your eye out.
Lol, it is funny and squirrels happen to be my favorite animal and I have a bear. Fortunately it's not long enough for a beard squirrel so I can put it on this list.

Russ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2012, 02:05:43 PM »
Lol, it is funny and squirrels happen to be my favorite animal and I have a bear.

Bears are my favorite animal, and I was way jealous for a minute there before I realized what you meant. I would gladly trade you a squirrel for your bear.

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2012, 05:19:31 PM »
Haha, Freudian typo? I was typing out beard and realized it has bear in it and then thought, that's why beards are so badass.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2012, 06:03:27 PM »
I was completely horrified to see an ad for this{ http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Blanket-Non-Musical/dp/B001MMSWGO } a month or so ago. It's actually everything Charlie Brown was against. :O My husband informs me that his co-worker has actually purchased a musical version of this. Sad, so very sad. :/

PJ

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: December 11, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
I was completely horrified to see an ad for this{ http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Brown-Christmas-Blanket-Non-Musical/dp/B001MMSWGO } a month or so ago. It's actually everything Charlie Brown was against. :O My husband informs me that his co-worker has actually purchased a musical version of this. Sad, so very sad. :/
One of the reviews says this:
"Love the idea of this novelty item! It definitatly looks artificial, just in case you were looking for a real life-like tree. It can be bent ans shaped anyway you want - kind of like a branch you would stick into a real artificial tree. Fun item - priced right." 

Yeah, sure.  "Priced right."  For $19.11 (plus shipping) I can get something that looks like a fake tree branch.  Or, you know, I could cut a branch off a real tree for free.

ruthiegirl

• Bristles
« Reply #130 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:27 PM »
After visiting my garden one summer,  a friend of mine wanted to start composting.  I told her how to get a pile going.  She called me a few weeks later complaining about the expenses involved in composting.  Expenses? 

http://www.garden.com/item/compact-compost-tumbler/G25266/?SRCCODE=MRGDGPLA&mr:trackingCode=12FD1805-7433-DF11-AE5B-0019B9C2BEFD&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=10449927749&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=32421717989

and this:

http://www.hayneedle.com/sale/whiteceramiccompostcrock.cfm?source=pla&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=UJF023&gclid=CP3lxc7hk7QCFdKd4Aod-jQABw

and of course this:

http://www.urbanaprons.co.uk/products/garden/

Really, all I told her to do is layer leaves with grass and kitchen scraps in a pile.  Free. 

Edited to add:  Actually, I rather like the apron in the last link.  Solid and sturdy.   Now that my friend is over her fling with composting, maybe she'll give me her old apron? 
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 07:06:29 PM by ruthiegirl »

mindaugas

• Bristles
    • Mike Says Meh
« Reply #131 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:04 AM »
One of the reviews says this:
"Love the idea of this novelty item! It definitatly looks artificial, just in case you were looking for a real life-like tree. It can be bent ans shaped anyway you want - kind of like a branch you would stick into a real artificial tree. Fun item - priced right." 

Yeah, sure.  "Priced right."  For $19.11 (plus shipping) I can get something that looks like a fake tree branch.  Or, you know, I could cut a branch off a real tree for free.

LMAO, I have one sitting on my desk right now.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #132 on: December 12, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »
Now that it's that time of year, I think those reindeer antlers that people put on their cars certainly deserve to be on this list.
All I think when I see those dumb things is "You're paying extra money to make your car less aerodynamic so you can pay extra money for gas."  The stupid is compounding.

capital

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »
Oh, no doubt.  But could I comfortably ride a bike in that suit?  Spend the day hiking the local mountains, ride the horse, work in the yard?  I doubt it.
You certainly can ride a city bike just fine in a suit, and it's very common in Japan and Europe. There's quite an English tradition of country menswear used for hiking and riding horses; it's usually made out of thick, durable, warm fabrics like tweed. My main problem riding my bikes wearing a tweed jacket is that they're too warm for how fast I ride except in winter. Men's fashion also changes on a very slow cycle within a very limited range, so nice menswear is easy enough to buy at the thrift store and keep for years.

I'm glad I'm never required to wear a suit, but it's fun to dress up a bit. A nice tweed jacket, collared oxford, and pair of jeans are perfectly affordable, take little effort to wear, and make you look great.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2012, 01:01:45 PM »
You certainly can ride a city bike just fine in a suit...

I think the operative word there is "city".  No doubt one could do a daily commute of a few miles (slowly, on level ground, so as not to break a sweat), but real rides of 30-100 road miles?  Or any mountain biking at all?  I think not.

boy_bye

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2012, 02:13:25 PM »
You certainly can ride a city bike just fine in a suit...

I think the operative word there is "city".  No doubt one could do a daily commute of a few miles (slowly, on level ground, so as not to break a sweat), but real rides of 30-100 road miles?  Or any mountain biking at all?  I think not.

jamesqf, you keep changing your argument. first suits suck because there's no variation or chance for expression in them. proven wrong on that, you say that there's no aesthetic value to them. proven wrong on that, you say you can't ride your bike 100 miles in one. but who cares? we get it -- you don't like suits! other people do, and i doubt you're going to convince them they are wrong. (because they're not.)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #136 on: December 18, 2012, 08:37:29 PM »
jamesqf, you keep changing your argument. first suits suck because there's no variation or chance for expression in them. proven wrong on that...

Err... When exactly did I get proven wrong on that?  Must have slipped by me somehow.

...you say that there's no aesthetic value to them. proven wrong on that...

Don't believe I ever said that.  Closest, I think, might be something to the effect that they're dull and boring.  Apropos of which, I was amused by recent photos of the North Korean aristocracy, all dressed in western-style suits or military uniforms.  (E.g. here: http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/12/17/another-lil-kim-wife-of-north-koreas-kim-jong-un-appears-heavily-pregnant/

...you say you can't ride your bike 100 miles in one. but who cares?

I do, obviously!  So we have a style of dress that is boring & unattractive, impractical wear for most interesting pursuits, and which marks the wearer as a member (or wannabe member) of the kleptocratic class,  Yet you still insist it's attractive?  Well, IMHO that says something about the eye of the beholder :-)

totoro

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2012, 08:46:38 PM »
I had to wear a suit today - still in it.  I miss my casual stuff but I have to say people did treat me differet - quite noticeably different.  Still, I will be sticking to the suit only if absolutely necessary rule - not worth the discomfort.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2012, 09:23:53 PM »
Went Christmas shopping today, ran into battery-powered corkscrews.

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2012, 12:33:17 AM »
I hope no permanent damage was done.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2012, 01:10:37 AM »

I do, obviously!  So we have a style of dress that is boring & unattractive, impractical wear for most interesting pursuits, and which marks the wearer as a member (or wannabe member) of the kleptocratic class,  Yet you still insist it's attractive?  Well, IMHO that says something about the eye of the beholder :-)

And you can't wear bicycle shorts and jersey to a board meeting.  Different clothes for different activities... crazy right?  I don't personally think suits are all that attractive, but more so than bicycle shorts.  You really judge people because they think suits look good? 

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »
Well that certainly beats having to haul out the extension cord!

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2012, 08:49:15 AM »

And you can't wear bicycle shorts and jersey to a board meeting.  Different clothes for different activities... crazy right?  I don't personally think suits are all that attractive, but more so than bicycle shorts.  You really judge people because they think suits look good?

I think the point he was trying to get across was that suits are to him, unattractive AND nonfunctional.

To use your example, yes, in a board room meeting, there is nothing you cannot do in shorts and a jersey. You may look out of place, but functionally speaking, they work as well as a suit.

Riding a bike however, suits are far worse than shorts.

So in his(and my) opinion, suits are useless clothing. They don't look good, they don't have any functional attributes, they are merely worn to fit in with some silly convention of fashion.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »
I am having so much fun learning about all the useless crap that's out there! I don't have tv, so I guess I miss a lot. Who knew I could scratch my infinitesimal itch for useless consumer crap on the MMM Forum? Woo-Hoo!

Most of what I buy (other than food, of course) is from estate and garage sales. So, yes, even though I do have an electric teakettle and may even have a pair of croakies around somewhere, both were used at some point for their intended purpose and neither cost more than a buck or two. No Chia Pet here though, even though I did see a new-in-the-box one at an estate sale recently. Thanks for the laughs.

onemorebike

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2012, 09:43:30 AM »
To more accurately reflect the content, can I request that this thread be renamed to "Useless Crap I can't Believe People Argue About"?

I think the point he was trying to get across was that suits are to him, unattractive AND nonfunctional.

To use your example, yes, in a board room meeting, there is nothing you cannot do in shorts and a jersey. You may look out of place, but functionally speaking, they work as well as a suit.

Riding a bike however, suits are far worse than shorts.

So in his(and my) opinion, suits are useless clothing. They don't look good, they don't have any functional attributes, they are merely worn to fit in with some silly convention of fashion.

gdborton

• Bristles
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
Just want to throw in my .02 on suits.  My vote goes to useless crap, their only real "use" is to make you look good in a business environment.  Sure they can be worn stylistically to portray a good image, but so can living in a mansion and driving a Ferrari, or buying bottled water.

Also they don't really fly for everyday casual dress (in my personal experience, outside of cities), so they are essential extra expense to be presentable at work.

Blackbomber

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2012, 10:06:25 AM »
All I think when I see those dumb things is "You're paying extra money to make your car less aerodynamic so you can pay extra money for gas."  The stupid is compounding.

One of the attorneys in my office has them on her Civic... HYBRID.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
And you can't wear bicycle shorts and jersey to a board meeting.

Err... Why not, exactly?  In principle, anyway - I admit that in practice it probably helps if you happen to own a large share of the company, as for instance with Steve Job's turtlenecks or Mark Zuckerberg's hoodie.

Now I would agree that bike shorts & jersey are not exactly practical/comfortable attire for something like a board meeting - just about as impractical and uncomfortable as a suit & tie.  Yet social convention decrees that one sort of uncomfortable garb is socially acceptable.

So why not avoid both extremes of discomfort, and dress out of say REI or the LL Bean catalogue?

You really judge people because they think suits look good?

Why, yes.  Don't you judge people because they don't think suits look good?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2012, 03:58:40 PM »

Err... Why not, exactly?  In principle, anyway - I admit that in practice it probably helps if you happen to own a large share of the company, as for instance with Steve Job's turtlenecks or Mark Zuckerberg's hoodie.

Now I would agree that bike shorts & jersey are not exactly practical/comfortable attire for something like a board meeting - just about as impractical and uncomfortable as a suit & tie.  Yet social convention decrees that one sort of uncomfortable garb is socially acceptable.

So why not avoid both extremes of discomfort, and dress out of say REI or the LL Bean catalogue?

That's my point.  I was demonstrating the folly of your assertion that you can't wear a suit for a 100 mile ride.  Of course you can wear a suit while riding a bike or shorts in the board room.  But neither is optimal.  When riding a bike, the goals are range of motion, comfort, etc -- harder to obtain in a suit.   In the board room, the goal is typically to further a business agenda -- harder to accomplish if others are distracted by your inappropriate attire, don't take you seriously, etc.  I'm all for wearing appropriate attire that furthers my goals for any given activity.

No, I don't judge you because you don't think suits look good.  Did I imply that somewhere? 

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #149 on: December 20, 2012, 06:47:02 AM »

That's my point.  I was demonstrating the folly of your assertion that you can't wear a suit for a 100 mile ride.  Of course you can wear a suit while riding a bike or shorts in the board room.  But neither is optimal.  When riding a bike, the goals are range of motion, comfort, etc -- harder to obtain in a suit.   In the board room, the goal is typically to further a business agenda -- harder to accomplish if others are distracted by your inappropriate attire, don't take you seriously, etc.  I'm all for wearing appropriate attire that furthers my goals for any given activity.

No, I don't judge you because you don't think suits look good.  Did I imply that somewhere?

See, and that gets back to my point...the shorts ARE fully functional in the board room. What does the board room require? Sitting there? Perhaps standing and speaking/presenting. You can do everything just fine in shorts. A suit is simply for looks, it serves no functional purpose other than the way it appears to others(kind of like any Apple product). That screams useless.