Author Topic: Unmustachian things we're doing due to coronavirus  (Read 110244 times)

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Unmustachian things we're doing due to coronavirus
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2020, 05:22:52 AM »
Scratch that, returned the car :(
Okay, I'll bite. What car?

I bought a new to me small hatchback, but then it died in the middle of a busy intersection while driving and nearly got us killed. It turned out to be a very minor issue, the fuel gauge was faulty and the tank was reading full when it was actually empty.

It's really not a huge deal, but almost getting t boned by a bus really takes the fun out of a new car. Incidentally, I've been hit by buses twice before, it seems to be a curse, lol.
Whew! Glad you're okay. How were you able to return it?

As in how was I physically able to return a dead car? Well, it would have been useful to know what the problem was to begin with, because we could have just added a bit of gas, but instead, we pushed it backwards down a major street and the dealership sent a tow truck.
Had you just bought it? In my world, I can't imagine a dealer just taking it back without a major hassle.

If you had just bought it and it breaks down rightaway wouldn't there be a warranty? I would try to return it as well if something like this happened.

We will be 100% WFH at my company until September. I used to dye my hair in bright colours when I was younger but work doesn't allow it. I ordered dye this weekend so I can have fun hair again this summer. It's the type of dye that washes out after 3 months so it will be mostly gone if we go back to the office by then.

They tend to be pretty cool about returning a car when said car almost gets you killed on the way home. Lol

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2020, 07:10:48 AM »
Fostering 3 dogs (well, two dogs and a puppy) on top of the 3 that are my furever pups.

I've been trying to talk my DH into this but no go. The last time we fostered 2 kittens we wound up adopting them so I get his reluctance.

We’re serial foster paw-rents. We take on the medically ill ones, typically, since I’m a people nurse. Two of the ones we’re fostering are temporary fosters because their adopters are deployed with the national guard. The puppy is a true foster with no takers yet.

Mind sharing a little more info on the puppy? My husband and I were looking to adopt and then things went crazy.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #252 on: May 11, 2020, 07:55:09 AM »
Found at a gas station with her fur shaved off. She’s a black pitbull type puppy about 10 weeks old.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #253 on: May 11, 2020, 08:47:50 AM »
Found at a gas station with her fur shaved off. She’s a black pitbull type puppy about 10 weeks old.

Ah. Sounds like she will grow a bit bigger than we were looking for. Thanks though!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 10:40:45 AM by penguintroopers »

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #254 on: May 11, 2020, 09:02:42 AM »
Safer at home has been very Mustachian for us, although once every two weeks shopping has meant giant grocery bills.  We are spending more on food.  I bought two new board games and some houseplants, and we have bought yards and yards and yards of mulch for our yard.

Barbaebigode

• Stubble
« Reply #255 on: May 11, 2020, 10:30:30 AM »
I bought two power tools online. A router and a circular saw. I'm gonna use them mostly for building furniture for ourselves but I'm restoring an old chair that I plan to sell. A hobby that turns a profit would be a first for me.

The unmustachian part of these purchases is that I already build the cabinets and wardrobes of our kitchen and main bedroom. I spent more having the plywood I used cut for me than I spent now on the circular saw.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #256 on: May 12, 2020, 10:06:10 AM »
I had a $50 Best Buy gift card from Christmas, so I just used it to offset some of the cost of a Roomba. Hasn't been delivered yet, but our wood floors are dirty all the time with pet hair and debris from outside, so thought I'd give this a whirl. Still keeping my old vacuum of course, just in case. We don't pay for house cleaners, so this is a compromise of sorts.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: May 12, 2020, 10:07:08 AM »

Ah. Sounds like she will grow a bit bigger than we were looking for. Thanks though!

Yeah, I’m thinking she’ll be around 70 pounds like my deaf pup is.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #258 on: May 12, 2020, 10:13:46 AM »
I'm spending $10 a week on flowers from a local florist. She just gives me a few stems of whatever she has leftover. They look pretty on my kitchen table and they are adding brightness to my days!

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #259 on: May 12, 2020, 01:34:31 PM »
DW spent $100 on supporting a local very nice restaurant, she'll get a cooking class and a garden tour out of it.  She is already an excellent cook, but doesn't think so, and I'm sure she'll learn something useful so I'm ok with it, as it won't affect our finances at all.  My job is secure and very WFH-ready already, so I'm fortunate there. 

Our overall eating out budget is down substantially, as her response to insecure times is to cook lots of food, so it is hard for her to come up with reasons why we even need to do takeout.  Mind you, when I point this out, she threatens to throw out food so we can get takeout, but I know she is bluffing, because she even more than she loves food she doesn't have to cook, she hates waste. :)

KBecks

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #260 on: May 12, 2020, 06:20:25 PM »
Oh, we also bought a giant soup pot, we've gotten take out occasionally but not crazy.  We have made a few large donations.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2020, 07:19:27 PM »
Just spent $30 on eBay ordering a fancy-pants 8 disk set of all of the Harry Potter movies. Now I can wait (Im)patiently a little longer for the library to open...

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2020, 11:36:22 PM »
The library being closed is THE WORST! I live just two blocks from our amazing central library here, and within walking distance of another ordinary branch. Yet because the library is closed, I can't check anything out! I've purchased a subscription to Sling TV to hold myself over. $30 a month for two months, with an Amazon Fire Stick included in that price... it isn't THAT bad, but as someone who has always prided himself on being an "antenna only" guy, I'm kind of ashamed of myself.

I've already made the decision to cancel it at the conclusion of my two-month deal, whether I can access the library or not. But this would all be so much better if I could pop over there to check out books, DVDs, and CDs!

screwit

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2020, 12:33:18 AM »
After 7 weeks of lockdown we caved and subscribed to a streaming service.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2020, 01:15:31 AM »
The library being closed is THE WORST! I live just two blocks from our amazing central library here, and within walking distance of another ordinary branch. Yet because the library is closed, I can't check anything out! I've purchased a subscription to Sling TV to hold myself over. $30 a month for two months, with an Amazon Fire Stick included in that price... it isn't THAT bad, but as someone who has always prided himself on being an "antenna only" guy, I'm kind of ashamed of myself.

I've already made the decision to cancel it at the conclusion of my two-month deal, whether I can access the library or not. But this would all be so much better if I could pop over there to check out books, DVDs, and CDs!

Does the library offer ebooks? I'm able to access my library from half way around the world. I can stream movies, get ebooks, magazines, audio books...Might be worthwhile to check out your library's website to see how to access their ebooks.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2020, 06:19:14 AM »
Oh, we also bought a giant soup pot, we've gotten take out occasionally but not crazy.  We have made a few large donations.

We just moved and couldn't find our largest pot. Wound up having the make the soup in two batches.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2020, 07:25:25 AM »
This thread is starting to make me giggle. I really feel that I've found my community of people who enjoy simple, frugal living when I read posts about people splurging on soup pots, puzzles and streaming TV (which isn't simple, but is far from expensive in terms of luxury).

Retails stores have reopened here, and even though I'm staying away as much as possible (per usual), I'm considering venturing out to a thrift store to look for a used bread pan. I already have one, but most of my bread recipes make 2 loaves and rather than splitting the batch, it would be great to save time and bake both while the oven is hot.
A second loaf pan would quickly pay for itself in saved heating costs. I think I might still look for a good used option from a private party like FB Marketplace or Next Door (or equivalent). Thrift stores are closed here and there's no sign of them reopening soon.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2020, 07:52:42 AM »
@Sun Hat if you're on Facebook and such things exist in your area, someone in your local Buy Nothing group might well have a bread pan.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2020, 10:37:36 AM »
Here's my thing: I really, really want cast iron bread pans. My cheapy teflon coated ones have done fine, but the coating is flaking off and I daydream about the crusty finish I would get with cast iron. I'm guessing the odds of me finding these used are super low though, I find normal pans semi frequently but bread pans seem a little obscure. But they'd last forever! Sigh. One of these days I will be able to justify buying them 🤔

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
Here's my thing: I really, really want cast iron bread pans. My cheapy teflon coated ones have done fine, but the coating is flaking off and I daydream about the crusty finish I would get with cast iron. I'm guessing the odds of me finding these used are super low though, I find normal pans semi frequently but bread pans seem a little obscure. But they'd last forever! Sigh. One of these days I will be able to justify buying them 🤔

Target. $12.99 each for Lodge cast iron bread pan.
https://www.target.com/p/lodge-cast-iron-loaf-pan/-/A-47862081

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2020, 11:40:23 AM »

If your teflon pans are flaking, they need to be replaced. Lodge has bread pans for $16.95 each, which seems reasonable for something that will be used regularly and last for the rest of your baking life. https://www.lodgemfg.com/product/loaf-pan?sku=L4LP3

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2020, 12:29:37 PM »
I've been buying books from Chapters online.  Our libraries are closed.  If I had an e-reader (like my husband does), I could borrow e-books.  Unfortunately for me, I don't like reading on screens, much prefer a printed page. 

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2020, 03:26:28 PM »

If your teflon pans are flaking, they need to be replaced. Lodge has bread pans for $16.95 each, which seems reasonable for something that will be used regularly and last for the rest of your baking life. https://www.lodgemfg.com/product/loaf-pan?sku=L4LP3

I use em fully lined with parchment nowadays (and usually reuse the parchment), no worries.

For the record, ingesting flakes of PTFE is unlikely to be harmful. The reason it's nonstick is that it doesn't react with anything else. I'm still phasing out all my PTFE cookware because its useful lifetime is so short though.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2020, 04:01:55 PM »
I bake free form bread. I do borrow my roommate's bread pans for quick breads, like zucchini bread.

gaja

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2020, 04:40:16 PM »
Looking at the last few months, our everyday spending is the same for February, March and April. Since we reduced some regular bills in March, this means we did increase our spending with ~$200/month. It looks to be mainly due to increased cost for food, plus more donating to charity and artists.

The major corona spending categories are house and garden, but I don't count them in the regular spending amounts, since these are planned expenses that have their own savings accounts, and it is a bit random that the bills come in now during corona. Or at least the house renovations were planned - the garden renovations are done using the vacation budget. The house renovations are an investment - giving us 6000 kWh/year in solar electricity. The garden might save a bit on the food budget if we don't kill everything before autumn. Right now I'm not too optimistic.

Loretta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2020, 08:03:57 PM »
I need to procure a reasonably accurate thermometer before 27 May to take my temperature before workdays.  The most appealing one is a Braun on Amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoScan-5-IRT6020-Thermometer-Consumer-Products/dp/B00PXEZX2S

All my local CVS and Walgreens appear to be sold out of thermometers.  Amazon seems to be selling so much low quality yet high priced crappola at the moment!  If anyone has any good thermometer recommendations for me, let me know. 

LifePhaseTwo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2020, 10:44:04 PM »
I recently picked up a Braun age precision digital thermometer for around $30. It seemed like a really high price compared to the old reliable mercury ones from the past...but it’s more accurate than the meat thermometer that my hubby thought would be good enough, LOL

adamR18

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2020, 10:57:08 PM »

Does the library offer ebooks? I'm able to access my library from half way around the world. I can stream movies, get ebooks, magazines, audio books...Might be worthwhile to check out your library's website to see how to access their ebooks.

The library does offer eBooks, though I don't have an eBook reader. Luckily, I just found out they will be opening for curbside service on June 1st! It'll be quite a process... reserve books online, call to make appointment, text when you arrive, and the librarian will come out and place them in the trunk of the car.

Still- it'll allow me to get my entertainment fix without paying for the streaming service! So excited for them to re-open!

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #278 on: May 15, 2020, 03:54:30 AM »

The library does offer eBooks, though I don't have an eBook reader. Luckily, I just found out they will be opening for curbside service on June 1st! It'll be quite a process... reserve books online, call to make appointment, text when you arrive, and the librarian will come out and place them in the trunk of the car.

Still- it'll allow me to get my entertainment fix without paying for the streaming service! So excited for them to re-open!

That’s awesome! I don’t have an ebook reader either. There’s an app that I download onto my phone, and I read on my phone.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #279 on: May 15, 2020, 04:30:52 AM »
I've been buying books from Chapters online.  Our libraries are closed.  If I had an e-reader (like my husband does), I could borrow e-books.  Unfortunately for me, I don't like reading on screens, much prefer a printed page.

This is us too.  We homeschool and are super heavy library users; with the library closed we've been [gasp] buying books.  We do read some things online (Project Gutenberg, etc.) but much prefer a three dimensional book.  E-reading isn't the same. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #280 on: May 15, 2020, 11:06:02 AM »
Since several people have mentioned it, you don't need an e-read to read e-books.  I understand preferring a physical book, but as  a stop-gap, you can read ebooks via a free! app. 

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: May 15, 2020, 11:27:17 AM »
Since several people have mentioned it, you don't need an e-read to read e-books.  I understand preferring a physical book, but as  a stop-gap, you can read ebooks via a free! app.

This. I have an ipad, but not an ereader. I read 90% of my books either on the library app or the Kindle app.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #282 on: May 15, 2020, 11:34:22 AM »

This. I have an ipad, but not an ereader. I read 90% of my books either on the library app or the Kindle app.

This.  My library uses Overdrive, I have it on my tablet.  I prefer a physical book, but e-books have their advantages too.

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: May 15, 2020, 11:36:33 AM »
I enjoy ebooks for their portability, but count me as one who finds more pleasure in a hard copy. I do enjoy the library that comes with amazon prime to supplement my rather limited local library.

betsbillabong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: May 15, 2020, 12:26:25 PM »
I've just gone over my spending, and am really unhappy with the grocery spending in particular! Between stocking up for a month and supporting a local, expensive, health food store in light of the Amazon/Instacart strike, my grocery spending has been at about 4x normal (though luckily normal is fairly low, $300/mo for two of us).

Given that I am homeschooling my 6yo on my own for the foreseeable future, I also bought curriculum and a year's worth of (mostly used) books. Was expensive but I believe necessary. I also bought her an iPad because I am still working full-time and as a single parent needed her to be able to do schoolwork on another machine, and also entertain herself during my classes/meetings. I did panic and got a whole bunch of TV subscriptions, and have rolled all back except Netflix.

However, from here on out I am back to my budget! Spent about three hours on YNAB figuring it all out, have cut almost all recurring expenses, and feeling good about the budget again.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2020, 01:58:08 PM »

Yep, I know.  And we do read some things on laptops/pads/phones, but it's not the same.  We really prefer a book.

LWYRUP

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: May 15, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »
I've just gone over my spending, and am really unhappy with the grocery spending in particular! Between stocking up for a month and supporting a local, expensive, health food store in light of the Amazon/Instacart strike, my grocery spending has been at about 4x normal (though luckily normal is fairly low, $300/mo for two of us).

Given that I am homeschooling my 6yo on my own for the foreseeable future, I also bought curriculum and a year's worth of (mostly used) books. Was expensive but I believe necessary. I also bought her an iPad because I am still working full-time and as a single parent needed her to be able to do schoolwork on another machine, and also entertain herself during my classes/meetings. I did panic and got a whole bunch of TV subscriptions, and have rolled all back except Netflix.

However, from here on out I am back to my budget! Spent about three hours on YNAB figuring it all out, have cut almost all recurring expenses, and feeling good about the budget again.

What curriculum / books did you get.

We have a six year old who is very familiar with all of my little pony and Barbie who could use some extra supplementing...

TartanTallulah

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: May 16, 2020, 02:09:28 AM »
We did a lot of redecorating early in the lockdown. We'd normally have taken the old flooring, mattresses and furniture to the recycling centre ourselves, a carload at a time when driving to work, but with the recycling centres closed to domestic users we paid for a skip from a large local company that has its own recycling depot.

I'm amusing myself with plans and "research" for expensive kitchen and garden remodelling which probably won't happen.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #288 on: May 16, 2020, 02:12:34 AM »
We ordered food from a local pub. Food was good and a generous portion size. Food also came with a large bag full of St Patrick's Day merch they're apparantly still getting rid of.

Teachstache

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: May 16, 2020, 06:21:03 AM »
Kind of embarrassing to admit, but we are splurging on boxed wine ($15 for 5L, so not super high end) & seltzer water for spouse ($2.69 per 12 pack & 55¢ per 1L bottle). I tried without success to have spouse switch to Sodastream but he made a valid point: "So are you going to go back to making your own mead & cider if I make my own seltzer water?"

Other than that, joined a free plant exchange for landscaping & veggie garden plus a local buy nothing group.

Spouse did sign us up for 3 months of Starz so we can watch more family movies & I can watch my favorite shows while using the elliptical in our basement.

Dee_the_third

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #290 on: May 16, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »
Kind of embarrassing to admit, but we are splurging on boxed wine ($15 for 5L, so not super high end) & seltzer water for spouse ($2.69 per 12 pack & 55¢ per 1L bottle).

Haha, it's a funny group that finds box wine and plain seltzer to be indulgences! I know what you mean though, any beverage purchase (like, in a container) seems hugely indulgent compared to just drinking tap. :|

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2020, 09:55:37 AM »
My wife has started getting boxed wine. I'll have to ask her how she settled on it as being acceptable.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2020, 11:59:43 AM »
So far, we have bought a second refrigerator (long planned purchase that was accelerated), puppy (ditto), dyson stick vacuum (not planned but needed), dog stuff, socially distanced puppy training class, and a power kite (used our REÍ rebate). We have donated to our local food bank, a poverty program and a couple of gofundme campaigns

betsbillabong

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #293 on: May 19, 2020, 11:26:38 PM »

We have a six year old who is very familiar with all of my little pony and Barbie who could use some extra supplementing...

I am using Torchlight PreK (it has a good emotional intelligence part and lots of art and nature) plus Logic of English for reading/writing and Miquon Math (though for now I'm following this math book by Caleb Gattegno with cuisinaire rods, and she's just playing with the rods. I also bought her an iPad.

https://torchlightcurriculum.com/torchlight/torchlight-level-pre-k/
https://www.logicofenglish.com
https://miquonmath.com
https://issuu.com/eswi/docs/gattegno-math-textbook-1

I'm a single parent and honestly, half of it is that without any plans or milestones all hell seems to break loose! When we have two or three things planned, it works. I'm still on meetings about two hours a day, and at those times she is usually on Epic or listening to Wiinnie the Pooh on Audible and doing art.

Hope that helps!

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #294 on: May 20, 2020, 04:32:09 AM »

I am using Torchlight PreK (it has a good emotional intelligence part and lots of art and nature) plus Logic of English for reading/writing and Miquon Math (though for now I'm following this math book by Caleb Gattegno with cuisinaire rods, and she's just playing with the rods. I also bought her an iPad.

https://torchlightcurriculum.com/torchlight/torchlight-level-pre-k/
https://www.logicofenglish.com
https://miquonmath.com
https://issuu.com/eswi/docs/gattegno-math-textbook-1

I'm a single parent and honestly, half of it is that without any plans or milestones all hell seems to break loose! When we have two or three things planned, it works. I'm still on meetings about two hours a day, and at those times she is usually on Epic or listening to Wiinnie the Pooh on Audible and doing art.

Hope that helps!

For primary school math (K-6), Singapore Math is really good:  www.singaporemath.com

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #295 on: May 20, 2020, 09:51:22 PM »
Take a look at Beast Academy for math.

Photograph 51

« Reply #296 on: May 21, 2020, 07:34:24 AM »

You still need to have some kind of device.  A lot of people don't have any devices and either companies are sold out, they don't have money to afford them, they don't know how to use them, they find them annoying, or they figure that their library will open any day now so it isn't worth spending money on something that will only be useful for a short time.  Don't assume that everyone has a device.  The app may be free, but the device isn't.

sui generis

• Magnum Stache
  • she/her
« Reply #297 on: May 21, 2020, 08:00:24 AM »

You still need to have some kind of device.  A lot of people don't have any devices and either companies are sold out, they don't have money to afford them, they don't know how to use them, they find them annoying, or they figure that their library will open any day now so it isn't worth spending money on something that will only be useful for a short time.  Don't assume that everyone has a device.  The app may be free, but the device isn't.

But it is safe to assume that anyone posting in these forums has such a device... By virtue of the fact that they are posting on these forums.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #298 on: May 21, 2020, 03:46:28 PM »
I'm going to pick up some craft supplies tomorrow, to have something fun to do while hanging out at my parents place in June.

rmorris50

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: May 21, 2020, 06:05:35 PM »
One word - SEAMLESS.