Author Topic: TSP Participants  (Read 26857 times)

dude

• Handlebar Stache
TSP Participants
« on: February 23, 2017, 08:06:51 AM »
Always fun to see where you fall vis-à-vis other fed workers:

http://federalnewsradio.com/mike-causey-federal-report/2017/02/whos-the-tsps-5-million-manwoman/

My rough math:

>$1mil = Top 0.2%
$750k-$999k = Top 0.9% (99th percentile)
$500k-$749k = Top 1.6% (98th percentile)
$250k-$499k = Top 10% (90th percentile)
$50k - $249k = Top 39% (61st percentile)

Currently happily ensconced in the 98th percentile and hoping to make the 99th by the time I get out of here in just over 2 years.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
Re: TSP Participants
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 08:19:30 AM »
I'm in the 90th.  Was under the 10% limit for a long time and I earned a relatively low wage for those years as well.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 09:23:58 AM »
Great job to you both! I think it's funny that the only explanation for someone having over $5M in their account is that they brought some of it from somewhere else.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 09:27:16 AM »
I'm hoping we crack the 98%tile by the end of this year.  Just under 50K to go. Will depend on market returns.

If so, it will have taken 17 years to get there, partly because of us screwing around and not getting serious until about 10 years ago.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:05:50 PM »
Hurmpf. I'm firmly in the middle of the top 39%. I comfort myself with the fact that I've got 12 years of service, which is well under the 18.6 average noted in the article. We're still above average, my competitive soul.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 05:04:10 AM »
In the 90th as well, should move up to the 98th by the end of the year barring a large market decline.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 05:08:01 AM »
Great job to you both! I think it's funny that the only explanation for someone having over $5M in their account is that they brought some of it from somewhere else.

Yeah, with the 5% match (not great compared to private employers I've had) and the lack of after tax TSP contributions, there is no other way to have a $5MM+ account than to have a rollover.  I just ran the numbers using S&P500 returns with dividends from 1986 to December 2016 and the best you can do (with the match) is just under $2,000,000 as the TSP started in 1986.

Theory, Federal Judge appointed in the late 80's who came from somewhere else that already had a 401k.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 07:36:22 AM »
Nice, congrats to you fellow Feds for making it happen!

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 07:44:02 AM »
At least some of us should revive this thread next Feb and see if we managed to tip into the 99th....

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
My gf has a TSP where she is in the top 0.5% and is hoping to make the top 0.2% by her retirement date in 22 months. 

To the high TSP-ers, do you have any special plans for when you retire? That is... let the co-workers know what you have when you leave?  My gf doesn't like many of her co-workers and will probably let it "slip" how much she has as she walks out the door.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 08:21:47 AM by PhrugalPhan »

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »
My gf has a TSP where she is in the top 0.5% and is hoping to make the top 0.2% by her retirement date in 22 months. 

To the high TSP-ers, do you have any special plans for when you retire? That is... let the co-workers know what you have when you leave?  My gf doesn't like many of her co-workers and will probably let it "slip" how much she has as she walks out the door.

I'm in a small office and have been a vocal champion of TSP investing since I got to this office 10 years ago, and my office colleagues have caught on and are doing it right.  From time to time we share our rough balances. We're all very psyched on retirement. Some of us will retire earlier then others, primarily because we don't have kids, but all should enjoy a very well-funded retirement.

Bruizer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 11:31:31 AM »
So what are you all going to do with your TSP once you retire from the federal government?  I'm torn between leaving it all in the TSP and rolling a portion of it into an IRA/Roth IRA. 

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 11:37:58 AM »
In the 98%er group.  Will probably hit the 99th percentile in the next year or two.  It'll depend much more on market conditions than on my contributions, at this stage.  The irony is that I'm planning to hang around until MRA, and at that point my pension and supplemental pension will more than cover our expenses without even touching the TSP. 

To answer the "what will you do with it" question, I'll leave it in and hope that the multiple rollover option is implemented so I can do Roth IRA conversions eventually without having to move a large chunk of the account.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 12:02:51 PM »
So what are you all going to do with your TSP once you retire from the federal government?  I'm torn between leaving it all in the TSP and rolling a portion of it into an IRA/Roth IRA.

I plan to convert it into a traditional IRA, and then make annual rollovers into my Roth IRA, so that I can access my TSP funds prior to age 59 without paying taxes or early withdrawal penalties.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 12:08:44 PM »

I'll probably leave it alone when I retire, since I'll be getting a pension the day I walk out the door (assuming 20 years service). I have no firm plan if the 20 year plan doesn't work out.

Yankuba

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 12:49:36 PM »

IMO, the best part of the TSP is the G fund. You get intermediate bond returns with zero interest rate or default risk. would hate to lose access to the G Fund but from what I understand the TSP is very rigid when it comes to withdrawals so it will be a tough call when I retire.

I'm in the 98% with 15.5 years of contributions.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

I'll probably leave it alone when I retire, since I'll be getting a pension the day I walk out the door (assuming 20 years service). I have no firm plan if the 20 year plan doesn't work out.

+1

bradne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2017, 08:26:53 PM »
I am in the top 10% (90th percentile).  18 years of service.   Just finally maxed my contributions (18k)  As I will probably be around for another 10 years (I actually enjoy my job), I am aiming for that 1 mil mark (top .2%).  I believe it has already been discussed on other threads, but I find it extremely disappointing that many fed employees fail to take full advantage of TSP. 

For those of you interested, there is currently a White House petition to raise the number of interfund transfers to four a month (from the existing two). 
Here is the link.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/allow-4-free-interfund-transfers-month-thrift-savings-plan

Ricksun

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2017, 09:06:04 PM »

I plan to convert it into a traditional IRA, and then make annual rollovers into my Roth IRA, so that I can access my TSP funds prior to age 59 without paying taxes or early withdrawal penalties.

This, but only the amount I think ill need to convert until age 59.  Can't beat the fees in TSP... much better than even Vanguard.

shunkman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »
99th percentile with about 34 years of service. I intend to retire next year when I turn 56. I will leave the funds in the TSP and take monthly withdraws and change this amount each year as necessary.

shunkman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2017, 05:04:15 PM »

There is a lot of pettiness where I work too but I recommend taking the high road.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2017, 05:25:14 PM »
Almost to the top 98. I worked part time for many years. I will hit it this year for certain

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2017, 07:50:53 AM »
To the high TSP-ers, do you have any special plans for when you retire? That is... let the co-workers know what you have when you leave?

I might let people know how much I have.  Especially if there are new people in the office. 

I am one of 2 people in the office that give the same advice we each received when we started to the new hires.  There is this thing called TSP, put as much as you can in it.  Try to actually put in the Max (18k) as early as you can.  If you don't want to think about investing pick a target fund and put all your money into that.  The sooner you start the less you will miss the $ in your paycheck.  The final advice would be "See this is what you get with 24 years of contributions.  I put in the maximum most years and always contributed at least 10% of pay before that." 

I'm at "16.5" years, which is really 15.5 years as I wasn't eligible to contribute for the first year under the old rules.  (Hired mid July 2000 couldn't contribute until July 1, 2001)

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2017, 09:12:31 AM »
Not to hijack but as an aside:

Do all of you know that if you have any temporary time before 1 Jan 1989 you can buy it back (just like military service).  It will take about one year from your initial form submission to find out how much you owe.

I bought back 4.5 years.

PhrugalPhan

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 11:29:52 AM »

Do all of you know that if you have any temporary time before 1 Jan 1989 you can buy it back (just like military service).  It will take about one year from your initial form submission to find out how much you owe.

I bought back 4.5 years.
My GF bought back I think it was 8 months for ~$500.  Great deal if you can get it.  Shame she can't buy (AFAIK) time from someone else.  I had 2 years with the feds in the 80's.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:44:41 AM by PhrugalPhan »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2017, 02:27:29 PM »

I bought back 4.5 years.
My GF bought back I think it was 8 months for ~$500.  Great deal if you can get it.  Shame she can't buy (ASAIK) time from someone else.  I had 2 years with the feds in the 80's.

Glad you guys brought this up. I've been badgering DH to buy back his military service time for THREE YEARS.  He still hasn't done it. I just went into his office and asked him to just give me whatever paperwork he has on it and I'll do it.  And he has a folder right on his desk! LOL. I do not know what mental block is holding him up all this time.  Maybe it's more complicated than I thought?  What is involved (in other words, what did I just take over?)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »
Knocking at the door of 200 right now, so hopefully it won't be too long before I join the 10 percenters.  If things don't change too much, I'll probably use some TSP to defer taking SS, but with so much uncertainty and 18 years to go, nothing is carved in stone.

Accidental Fire

• Stubble
    • Sweet designs for your outside lifestyle
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »
I'm at the 98% after 21 yrs service. I plan to convert to part time in the next few months, even if it means taking a demotion. With my TSP stash and an even greater amount in taxable accounts, I'm ready to soft-land into FIRE with a part time gig. I really want to keep the gov health plan for a while until this administration figures out what they're gonna do with the ACA.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2017, 04:30:21 PM »
I'm in the 98th percentile as well.  I worked in the gov for 4 years and contributed 13.5k.  I rolled over all 401k money from before and after my government gig.  I love the G Fund, the low expense ratios, and the simplicity of the TSP.

I think about picking up that 5th year so I could qualify for a small pension...no convenient way to do it right now.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »

I bought back 4.5 years.
My GF bought back I think it was 8 months for ~$500.  Great deal if you can get it.  Shame she can't buy (ASAIK) time from someone else.  I had 2 years with the feds in the 80's.
[/quote

Mine was $4,200:  $790 redeposit and the rest interest BUT they reached all the way back to 1978 and picked up my summer hire time.  I'll break even in the first year of retirement.

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2017, 08:27:01 PM »

I bought back 4.5 years.

Glad you guys brought this up. I've been badgering DH to buy back his military service time for THREE YEARS.  He still hasn't done it. I just went into his office and asked him to just give me whatever paperwork he has on it and I'll do it.  And he has a folder right on his desk! LOL. I do not know what mental block is holding him up all this time.  Maybe it's more complicated than I thought?  What is involved (in other words, what did I just take over?)

Buying military time is dead easy.  The only form you need to submit (from memory) is the DD Form 214.  He can make payroll deductions.  I bought my military time as well. 

Acorns

• Stubble
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2017, 10:52:39 PM »
I am in the middle of the top 39%, I will probably never crack the next category now that I am in the Reserve, but I still think my balance is ok for 9 yrs of AD. I have 7 years until I can retire and I plan on leaving it in the TSP because of the very low expense ratio. Plus, TSP is pretty much dummy proof, limited funds to choose from that pretty much track established indexes. If the opportunity ever becomes available to backdoor an IRA I might do that, otherwise, I'll let it ride. I wish I had known earlier in my career that contributions made in a tax free zone (ie combat zone) are not taxed upon withdrawal. I maxed that sucker on my second tour in the sandbox, but not the first.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 03:23:31 AM »
I'm in the top 10% after 16 years (first few years were part time).  I should break up to top 1.6% next year or two if things go well.  Not too bad for a single mom!  In my last position, I was so desperate trying to get out of there and hoping I could at least make it to 25 years and hope even more for an early out, that I was putting everything I possibly could into the traditional.  Now that I've moved on to a new position, no commute, love my job and schedule, I'm much more relaxed about staying until my MRA (57). 

I ran so many calculators, etc, that I decided recently to lower my contribution to 6% and focus on finally building my house instead.  For now, anyway.  Maxing out in the beginning (when max was 12%, not a dollar amount), and increasing every year, means that I can lower my contribution at this point and see very little change in the difference of the contribution.  If I add the very low end of my pension + tsp + other factors (no mortgage if I sell current house after building new house, etc), I end up with monthly income so high I'm not sure how I could spend it all.  And that's even with my now-reduced contribution.  It's a very good problem to have.

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 03:28:03 AM »
I have a question since all the TSPers are gathered in one place now as well...

For those of you who use firecalc to see success rates of past performances using your numbers, how do you divvy up the various funds?  I am in great shape if I use the default "couch potato" portfolio, but would really like to get a more realistic graph based on how I have my investments spread out.

(My post, which didn't get any responses, was here if you're trying to figure out what I mean: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-would-you-transfer-tsp-funds-into-firecalc/msg1442308/#msg1442308 )

davisgang90

• Handlebar Stache
    • Photography by Rich Davis
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 03:38:11 AM »
My plan is to retire next year, live primarily on my military pension and supplement with traditional IRA to Roth conversions.  I plan to leave my TSP alone and just watch it grow.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 05:17:38 AM »
I'm on the upper end of the 'top 39' percent.  Hoping to crack into the top 10% in the next year or two.  I only have 9 years of service though and just got promoted to GS-12 in Oct.

DirtDiva

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2017, 06:15:44 AM »
I have a question since all the TSPers are gathered in one place now as well...

For those of you who use firecalc to see success rates of past performances using your numbers, how do you divvy up the various funds?  I am in great shape if I use the default "couch potato" portfolio, but would really like to get a more realistic graph based on how I have my investments spread out.

(My post, which didn't get any responses, was here if you're trying to figure out what I mean: http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/how-would-you-transfer-tsp-funds-into-firecalc/msg1442308/#msg1442308 )

See your other thread for my best approximation. 

Drifterrider

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2017, 10:22:15 AM »

Buying military time is dead easy.  The only form you need to submit (from memory) is the DD Form 214.  He can make payroll deductions.  I bought my military time as well.

Hah!  dead easy if you have an HR that does their damn J-O-B.
[/quote]

If you wait for them, it is your fault.  If you ride them like a pony, they will do it just to get rid of you.

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2017, 10:38:00 AM »
Hah!  dead easy if you have an HR that does their damn J-O-B.

I've got to agree with this. This forum convinced me that I should go ahead and buy mine back, so about 2 months before my 3 years was up, I went to my payroll office and asked how to go about paying it all in a lump sum. They had no clue. I gave up trying to figure it out. Luckily the interest was significantly less than I thought it'd be (I heard around 5%, but it ended up being about 1%).

Instead, about a year later, I just did $1000 per paycheck. They knew how to do that one!

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2017, 12:17:49 PM »
HR is the one part of the federal government that gives all of the other parts a bad name.

I deal with the Sacramento office.  I have horror stories.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
HR is the one part of the federal government that gives all of the other parts a bad name.

I deal with the Sacramento office.  I have horror stories.

The major issue in my agency seems to be them deeming people 'unqualified' for the job they currently hold. My position has specific educational requirements. I can't even tell you the number of people who are currently Position A in podunk, USA and applied to be position A in hometown USA and have been told they are 'unqualified'. Exact same position, same GS level, same occupational series, same job duties just change in location. It's mind boggling.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2017, 04:29:38 AM »
Well finally, I've been knocking on the door of entering the 1.6% for weeks, last night I crossed into it. So 15 years 9 months after I was eligible to start contributing.  I never rolled anything over, always "maxed" or thought I did (which meant in 2001 with a limit of 10% of salary for 6 months a whole $2,500 for the year).

Actually it was a small mistake in contribution to TSP that pushed e to begin to educate myself about money.  Year 3 or 4 I mistakenly thought the max dollar amount applied to a combination of my contribution and the employer match, so I cut my contribution to 12% instead of the 15% I could do that year.  I missed contributing a grand or 2 for that year.  But it got me reading and learning so I guess it was a good mistake in the end.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2017, 09:51:59 AM »
Well finally, I've been knocking on the door of entering the 1.6% for weeks, last night I crossed into it. So 15 years 9 months after I was eligible to start contributing.  I never rolled anything over, always "maxed" or thought I did (which meant in 2001 with a limit of 10% of salary for 6 months a whole $2,500 for the year).

Actually it was a small mistake in contribution to TSP that pushed e to begin to educate myself about money.  Year 3 or 4 I mistakenly thought the max dollar amount applied to a combination of my contribution and the employer match, so I cut my contribution to 12% instead of the 15% I could do that year.  I missed contributing a grand or 2 for that year.  But it got me reading and learning so I guess it was a good mistake in the end.

Sweet!  We're right behind you...hopefully within a year, possibly sooner.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2017, 10:25:05 AM »
I have money in both the traditional and Roth TSP.

When I retire, I would love to be able to put Roth TSP in a Roth IRA but keep traditional in TSP.  I believe this is currently not possible with the proportional/rollover rules.

Thus, I want to move my TSP funds outside when I retire (unless the rule changes by then).  Are there any hangups in rolling over all my TSP (traditional + Roth) into separate IRA and Roth IRA accounts at the same time?  This looks feasible on the TSP-70 form but wanted to make sure.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2017, 04:25:07 PM »

When I retire, I would love to be able to put Roth TSP in a Roth IRA but keep traditional in TSP.  I believe this is currently not possible with the proportional/rollover rules.

Thus, I want to move my TSP funds outside when I retire (unless the rule changes by then).  Are there any hangups in rolling over all my TSP (traditional + Roth) into separate IRA and Roth IRA accounts at the same time?  This looks feasible on the TSP-70 form but wanted to make sure.

Yes you can transfer both, if you want to keep the Traditional with TSP you can look at this work around.  Transfer all but say $1 in each account out and re-transfer the traditional back in. 

giggles

• Stubble
    • Kiva - Change the world with a $25 loan
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2017, 06:55:20 PM »
Expect to break 100k this quarter.  8 years of service.  First year I am maxing out my contributions.

Bruizer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »

Yes you can transfer both, if you want to keep the Traditional with TSP you can look at this work around.  Transfer all but say $1 in each account out and re-transfer the traditional back in.

If I'm not mistaken, if your balance goes below $200, they will automatically close your account and send you a check for the remaining balance.  So be careful with this.

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
I might be wrong but I think there are also restrictions on how many times you can access your TSP account to move the funds out (maybe twice)? So be sure to research that before taking any action.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2017, 10:16:37 AM »
I might be wrong but I think there are also restrictions on how many times you can access your TSP account to move the funds out (maybe twice)? So be sure to research that before taking any action.

You can make s lifetime total of two TSP withdrawals, and the second one has to liquidate your account.  Each withdrawal event can be divided up into different buckets, like a rollover, cash out, or annuity purchase.

Those of us planning to use the roth ira conversion ladder to access tsp funds prior to age 59 without paying a penalty are going to roll the tsp balance into a traditional IRA (a tax free event since they are the same type of account) and then make the annual 0% tax roth contributions from the traditional ira.

Bird In Hand

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »
Those of us planning to use the roth ira conversion ladder to access tsp funds prior to age 59 without paying a penalty are going to roll the tsp balance into a traditional IRA (a tax free event since they are the same type of account) and then make the annual 0% tax roth contributions from the traditional ira.

Apologies if this was covered elsewhere, but can you elaborate on what you mean by "0% tax roth contributions"?  I take it to mean you're paying zero tax on the conversion from traditional IRA to Roth, but I'm not sure how you intend to achieve that.  Unless you mean that you'll be in an effective 0% tax bracket (e.g., living off of after-tax investments) and you'll convert up to the amount that is offset by your standard (or itemized) deduction.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!