Author Topic: Travel Rewards Course  (Read 12264 times)

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
Travel Rewards Course
« on: July 23, 2015, 07:50:22 PM »
Does anyone have a link handy to the local to MMM travel hacking course.  I have  seen it several times but for the life of me can't find it now.  I was interested at the time but didn't have the time to study it.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Travel Rewards Course
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
I don't know if this is what you mean, but if you go here:
http://www.milesdividendmd.com/
There's a pop-up at the top of the screen that let's you enter your email address for next month's class.

Gretamom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 08:43:05 PM »
There is one on richmondsavers.com

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:31:02 AM »
The richmondsavers one and the milesdividendmd one are one in the same and will both provide links to Brad Barret  and my course: travelmiles101.

You can also just click on the link in my signature to get you to the same place.

Looking forward to having you, and feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:47:45 AM »
Looking forward to having you, and feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns.

Thanks!  I kept searching dividendmiles.  No wonder I couldn't find you.  HA

I'll PM you tonight after work.  Thanks for the link.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »
The richmondsavers one and the milesdividendmd one are one in the same and will both provide links to Brad Barret  and my course: travelmiles101.

You can also just click on the link in my signature to get you to the same place.

Thanks, I just signed up. I've been reading a lot about credit cards, travel points, and so on, but I think I need the course to really get started and help me sort out the "required spending" part of it.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 09:36:21 PM »
Absolutely. It's a nice little community we have going.

Any question that comes along once you get started on your journey in the miles game can be answered quickly on our Facebook group, and we are in the process of launching a forum, to make the group input more searchable.

Our goal has always been to get a complete novice up and running in a month and to date the feedback has been great.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 04:49:22 AM »
I signed up as well.  I do not 'do' facebook.  I hope I don't miss out on much with that, uh, handicap.  (can you tell the fascination with facebook is a pet peeve of mine?)

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 05:14:50 AM »

I signed up as well.  I do not 'do' facebook.  I hope I don't miss out on much with that, uh, handicap.  (can you tell the fascination with facebook is a pet peeve of mine?)

You should be fine. Every lesson is delivered by email and Brad and I are pretty good about answering questions.

Feel free to sign up for FB under an alias to sample the full experience, but it's totally unnecessary.

A forum is on the launching pad either way so Facebook may well become superfluous.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 05:22:17 AM »
Thanks @Gretamom and @sheepstache for mentioning how to sign up -- it is greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to having a lot of new Mustachians in the travel hacking course :)  Alexi and I set this up earlier this year to help the MMM community get into travel hacking (Pete/MMM himself was really pleased to hear about the course!), and while we can't be too self-promotional here in the forum, it's great people are still looking to sign up.

We have the next course starting on August 1st, so now is a perfect time to get involved.  The course is completely free and it is a go at your own pace thing, so no time commitment at all; if you've ever wanted to learn more about the topic, this is the easiest way possible. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 05:25:21 AM by Richmond Savers »

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 04:51:46 PM »
Great timing!

I've been wanting to "school up" on this for the longest time.

Thanks for setting it up, guys!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 07:26:01 PM »
Cannot say enough good things about this course!!!

Bergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 07:30:03 PM »
Can't wait to check this out!  Thanks for the links.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 07:15:11 AM »
Glad you signed up @Retired to Win and @Bergal -- Alexi and I are thrilled when we get more Mustachians in the group!

Thanks for the kind words @2Birds1Stone -- that is wonderful to hear generally and we appreciate you vouching for it here :)

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »
The course is awesome!

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 07:30:30 PM »
Just signed up. Thank you.

cripes7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 08:31:08 PM »
Thanks for this, I just registered

bernardnb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2015, 08:59:29 AM »
Glad you signed up @Retired to Win and @Bergal -- Alexi and I are thrilled when we get more Mustachians in the group!

Thanks for the kind words @2Birds1Stone -- that is wonderful to hear generally and we appreciate you vouching for it here :)

Hi Brad,

Followed the link in you signature, but when I try to click to sign up on your website I'm getting a 404 error....any suggestions?

I could PM you my email address if you could sign me up that way.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »

Hi Brad,

Followed the link in you signature, but when I try to click to sign up on your website I'm getting a 404 error....any suggestions?

I could PM you my email address if you could sign me up that way.

@bernardnb: sorry for the trouble! There was an issue with those 404 errors when people signed up through an older version of Internet Explorer, which I thought we fixed, but evidently not! (if you're using another browser, let me know as I'll have to research it to see what the problem is...thank you).  This is the joy of having a CPA and an MD run an internet site :)

Yes, absolutely PM me your email address and I can manually add you.  Again, sorry for the trouble

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 09:11:28 AM »
Bernard,

Feel free to sign up from my homepage. I will pm you with the address. Or you can use the link in my signature line.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 11:08:21 AM »
Just signed up!

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »
@aceyou and @laufen: Glad you enjoyed the course so much!!  Alexi and I are trying to put the finishing touches on a new forum to add even more to the community :)

crazy jane, cripes7 & trailrated: Glad you signed up!  If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out via PM or email.  Look out for an email from us on 8/1 at 8am EST.

ChaseJuggler

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2015, 10:11:00 AM »
We are redeeming our 3rd free round trip flight tomorrow (with about 200,000 miles to spare!) It's especially lucrative if your partner's comfortable with helping you. Teaming up means we get all the best deals twice!!

It's going to be a long 7 years before I quit those 40 hour weeks. Having a free vacation once in a while gives you something to look forward to along the way.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2015, 06:58:35 AM »
We are redeeming our 3rd free round trip flight tomorrow (with about 200,000 miles to spare!) It's especially lucrative if your partner's comfortable with helping you. Teaming up means we get all the best deals twice!!

It's going to be a long 7 years before I quit those 40 hour weeks. Having a free vacation once in a while gives you something to look forward to along the way.

You are definitely rocking it Chase!  Glad we could be part of your success :) 

If anyone wants to get in for the 8/1 start date, we're less than 48 hours from the start...

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2015, 08:06:20 AM »
Hi all,
I've seen all this about using credit cards to generate airline miles and am interested.
I only charge $900 to $1500 every month.
Is this enough to make it worthwhile?
Are some type of charges credited more than others?
What does it mean to have 100,000 miles?
That's 4 times around the world, or twice if you want to come back :-)
 Inquiring minds want to know.
                 Thanks

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 08:10:08 AM »
If you ^ like to travel, I think it's worth it to have a rewards card no matter how much you spend.  If you're spending money, you may as well be earning some points/miles.  To give you an idea of the number of miles needed for a flight, with Delta I've typically had to use 25-30k miles for a domestic round trip.  Some cards do give you more points/miles depending on who you're purchasing from.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 08:56:07 AM »
Hi all,
I've seen all this about using credit cards to generate airline miles and am interested.
                 Thanks

Lots of significant questions here, which is great!

Let's say you spend an average of $1,200 per month (split your range) and had the Fidelity Rewards 2% card, which is probably my favorite non-travel card.  You'd earn $288 in rewards each year.

Taking the travel hacking route, you can conservatively get $450-$1,000 of value out of each credit card signup bonus once you hit the minimum spending requirement.  Many of these can be turned into real cash, so just taking the argument that you were going to only open one new card per year, you would get roughly double your annual rewards (in cash) just from that signup bonus itself. 

Travel "value" can often be much more than that!  I've had instances where I've gotten $2,000+ out of one credit card signup bonus; this isn't just the "I'm flying in a $10,000 first class seat" junk that you see a lot of travel bloggers tout.  These were trips from Richmond, VA to NYC to visit family that we would have taken and paid for otherwise. 

If you were willing to open multiple cards per year, then you can earn multiple thousands of dollars of rewards each year.

To me this is all about the signup bonuses though, as many of these cards have annual fees the 2nd year, and I would probably rather my Fidelity card if I was just going to stick with one. 

There's a lot of room for different approaches, as I am much more conservative than Alexi, but I make it work for me and my family. 

No way I can answer the 100,000 miles question in one blanket answer as it depends on the currency you have.  100,000 Capital One Venture "Miles" = $1,000 in travel statement credits.  100,000 United miles = 4 round-trips in the US (or a round-trip to Asia plus nearly enough for one in the US, etc.).  100,000 Starwood points can get you 50 weekend nights in a Category 1 hotel (maybe $5,000 of value?). 

Hope that helps some!  If you even have a passing interest, you should sign up for the course.  There is no reason not to, as it costs $0, it's a nice welcoming community and you sure as anything won't ever have any pressure from us or any upsells or anything like that.  This is a simple, free way to learn about the topic and see if you're interested. 

Thanks,
Brad

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 12:31:38 PM »
Thank you  Brad, for taking the time to answer.

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 12:56:29 PM »
Brad,

Did I miss the deadline to sign up for the August class? I get this error message upon clicking on the click here to claim your spot link:

Not found, error 404

The page you are looking for no longer exists. Perhaps you can return back to the site's homepage and see if you can find what you are looking for. Or, you can try finding it by using the search form below.

Thank you

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 01:06:48 PM »
Thank you  Brad, for taking the time to answer.

You are quite welcome!  I love helping people get started with travel rewards, and Alexi and I both feel it is truly a 'Mustachian pursuit.' Happy to get others involved, as having more Mustachians in the course only enriches the level of knowledge and discourse.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 01:08:42 PM »
Brad,

Did I miss the deadline to sign up for the August class? I get this error message upon clicking on the click here to claim your spot link:

Not found, error 404

The page you are looking for no longer exists. Perhaps you can return back to the site's homepage and see if you can find what you are looking for. Or, you can try finding it by using the search form below.

Thank you

No, you didn't miss it!  We're having an issue with that page with people on older versions of Internet Explorer; I have to get someone to fix it ASAP!  Would you mind telling me if you were using IE and the version? 

Very sorry about that!

I'm going to send you a PM as I can manually add you to the course if I get your email address...

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 01:56:23 PM »
Yep, Internet Explorer 9! I'll respond to the PM, thank you!

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
cool, thanks for confirming!  We use this great software called LeadPages for that optin, but for some reason they have a systemic issue with IE 9 and 10 and they basically told me they can't (won't?) fix it without it screwing up their integration on all other browsers.  Way above my pay grade, but unfortunately people on those versions get the dreaded 404 issue. 

Thanks for following up and I manually added you!

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »

Hi all,
                 Thanks

Just to add one point to Brad's,

The amount of money that you actually spend on your credit card in no way limits the amount of miles you can accrue.

Over half of the course covers manufactured spending which essentially means spending your money on cash equivalents (like visa gift cards) which you then liquidate back into cash (the cost generally being 1%.)

In this way your average mustachian can appear to have Paris Hilton like nominal spending levels while keeping his/her mustache firmly in tact.

In 30 days we aim get students up to speed on all of this.

Badfish

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2015, 04:54:51 AM »
I took the course in May. I just booked our first trip to Hawaii using airline mikes we earned on sign up bonuses. These tickets from the East coast would have been $1300 each. Our total fees were $33.

The course is nice because you are able to get all the info in one place and each lesson builds on the previous one. Searching the internet and looking at travel hack articles trying to learn how to build and redeem miles was confusing and made it difficult for me to grasp the concept.

My husband and I are not manufactured spending and we have plenty of miles to meet our needs just from the sign up bonuses. Surprisingly, our credit scores haven't dropped with the credit pulls and new cards.  Mine is staying around 815 and hasn't varied by more than a few points.

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2015, 08:20:54 AM »
I took the course in May. I just booked our first trip to Hawaii using airline mikes we earned on sign up bonuses. These tickets from the East coast would have been $1300 each. Our total fees were $33.

The course is nice because you are able to get all the info in one place and each lesson builds on the previous one. Searching the internet and looking at travel hack articles trying to learn how to build and redeem miles was confusing and made it difficult for me to grasp the concept.

My husband and I are not manufactured spending and we have plenty of miles to meet our needs just from the sign up bonuses. Surprisingly, our credit scores haven't dropped with the credit pulls and new cards.  Mine is staying around 815 and hasn't varied by more than a few points.

Great stuff about your Hawaii flights @Badfish!!!  Really thrilled to hear that :)  Now we have to get you working on some hotel nights, which should be really easy...

And thank you for the kind words about the course, it means a lot to me.  If I could encapsulate what I want people to think about the course, you couldn't sum it up better than "The course is nice because you are able to get all the info in one place and each lesson builds on the previous one. Searching the internet and looking at travel hack articles trying to learn how to build and redeem miles was confusing and made it difficult for me to grasp the concept."

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2015, 08:29:43 AM »
I can't wait to get the first course email tomorrow morning!

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »
I can't wait to get the first course email tomorrow morning!

Nice, love the excitement!  They get sent out at 8am EST each morning, so be on the lookout :)

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
Just a quick update for those who THOUGHT about signing up and didn't. We're slightly more than 1/2 way through the course and have covered a great deal of material, i.e.: the advantages/disadvantages of different types of credit cards and how to successfully maximize and get the most reach out of the points generated (some unique strategies I had no idea existed), credit score impact, specific examples on maximizing travel from your local airport/region, personal examples of different travel strategies, current promotions and when to sign up for certain cards, significant detail on manufactured spending (but also why this strategy is not required), organization techniques, and much more.

Again, this is only part way through the course. I didn't sign up in previous sessions and recently took a trip to Italy. Woops. If I would have taken advantage of the simple ideas, I would have only had to pay taxes / fees on the flight instead of the $2,400 for the two roundtrip tickets we paid (free hotels, etc. too). Not only has the course material been beneficial (you get a daily e-mail for 30-days), but Brad and Alexi have personally responded to e-mails as well as being extremely active on the private facebook group page they created for everyone to share examples and best practices (more great learning opportunities!).

They deserve a shout-out for what they've put together and how they can save us mustachians a good portion of money while continuing to meet our travel desires! Of course many posters before more highlighted some examples of their recent trips as well. The cost to take the course is very Mustachian... $0. Presumably they will offer this course again in the future, it is definitely worthwhile to sign-up. Brad/Alexi, maybe you could chime in for when you will offer the course again?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 12:13:28 PM »
I am enjoying the emails, but I will say that I feel alone in the woods since I don't do Facebook and so I cannot get in on any current conversations.  I think that those a probably the heart of this course.  I encourage any movement towards a forum on the site instead of using Facebook for meetups.  No, I won't join under an alias.  I have enough trouble not letting LinkedIn jump on my contacts list to 'help' me notify all my closest friends of my account, no way am I going to let Facebook anywhere near my computer.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Travel Rewards Course
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
Just a quick update for those who THOUGHT about signing up and didn't. We're slightly more than 1/2 way through the course and have covered a great deal of material, i.e.: the advantages/disadvantages of different types of credit cards and how to successfully maximize and get the most reach out of the points generated (some unique strategies I had no idea existed), credit score impact, specific examples on maximizing travel from your local airport/region, personal examples of different travel strategies, current promotions and when to sign up for certain cards, significant detail on manufactured spending (but also why this strategy is not required), organization techniques, and much more.

Again, this is only part way through the course. I didn't sign up in previous sessions and recently took a trip to Italy. Woops. If I would have taken advantage of the simple ideas, I would have only had to pay taxes / fees on the flight instead of the $2,400 for the two roundtrip tickets we paid (free hotels, etc. too). Not only has the course material been beneficial (you get a daily e-mail for 30-days), but Brad and Alexi have personally responded to e-mails as well as being extremely active on the private facebook group page they created for everyone to share examples and best practices (more great learning opportunities!).

They deserve a shout-out for what they've put together and how they can save us mustachians a good portion of money while continuing to meet our travel desires! Of course many posters before more highlighted some examples of their recent trips as well. The cost to take the course is very Mustachian... $0. Presumably they will offer this course again in the future, it is definitely worthwhile to sign-up. Brad/Alexi, maybe you could chime in for when you will offer the course again?

J Williams,

Thanks man. I'm so glad you are enjoying the course.

I predict that Italy will be the last trip you spend significant cash on!

Miles are very useful. A personal anecdote.

Sadly, we found out my wife's father died early on Saturday morning. It was not unexpected.

He was a remarkable man, and my wife needed to get home to Kyoto fast for her family's ceremony.

By 1:00 PM Saturday she was on a flight home and her entire round trip was booked with United (Chase Ultimate Rewards) miles.

I also booked my mom a round trip from sf to Portland to help with child care this week. (Just picked her up.)

At times like these, having a large stash of miles is a source of strength. They allow you to focus on that which is important (family) instead of finances.

It is a great honor to teach these skills to others. Especially fellow mustachians.

The next course starts September 1. Anyone interested can sign up on my site.

As always anyone can PM me with questions.

AZ
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:19:20 PM by milesdividendmd »

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »

I am enjoying the emails, but I will say that I feel alone in the woods since I don't do Facebook and so I cannot get in on any current conversations.  I think that those a probably the heart of this course.  I encourage any movement towards a forum on the site instead of using Facebook for meetups.  No, I won't join under an alias.  I have enough trouble not letting LinkedIn jump on my contacts list to 'help' me notify all my closest friends of my account, no way am I going to let Facebook anywhere near my computer.

Sorry about the Facebook piece. That's a bummer. It is a useful part of the course.

The good news is that the forum is up, running, and active. You will be automatically invited at months end, but if you want early access, just PM me.

AZ

Richmond Savers

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 09:13:19 AM »

Thanks for the kind words!  Glad you are enjoying it so much :)  The $0 Mustachian price is absolutely important to us, as we want to bring this strategy to as many people as possible.  Our community is made stronger with every intelligent Mustachian who joins, so the more the merrier!

Our next course starts on September 1st, and the signup link is in my signature :)