Author Topic: Time Thieves  (Read 8604 times)

carolina822

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Time Thieves
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 06:25:21 PM »

Yes, we who do self-checkout should get a bit of a lower price.

We wanted to go watch a movie in the theater a few months ago, and we were going to buy the tickets online ahead of time. They added a fee so that it was more expensive to buy the tickets online than to go stand in line and buy them from some minimum wage kid at the counter. What is with that backward-ass thinking?

Reminds me of Ticketmaster back in the day when you had to pay extra to use your own printer and ink to print your ticket instead of having it mailed to you. So dumb.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2019, 06:34:55 AM »
About commuting... At my work we have cook who work in the cafeteria. They provide meals for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have heard one of the cooks saying he was going home. He would be back later for his evening shift. If you need to commute twice on one working day, you double your commute. Not good for the employee.

Im surprised by how many who see the commute to and from work as a drain on time and/or money. For me its top quality time. I bike (20 mins - 1h30 depending on route), run (35 mins - 1h30 depending on route and pace) or walk (1h-ish). It gives me a lot of excercise for free, no need to go to a gym or similar, I get to be outside and its a nice way to explore the local area. Last year I discovered a really nice hiking path in a small forest very close to where I live I didn't even know of. When biking I can modify the route to be anything up to almost 50km if I feel like it and its mostly car-free roads and can do parts of the trip in the forest. While I'm still working its one of my favourite activities during the week. If the weather is really bad there is also a hint of badassity in there and I get to experience the changing seasons and weather up-close. If I walk or run I generally listen to a podcast or some music, but when biking I prefer maximum attention to surrounding traffic.

Its a lot what one makes of it. Sitting in a car or on public transport would be horrible.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2019, 08:20:45 AM »
Public transit isn't exactly fun, but I prefer it to driving because I don't have to use my attention to operate a vehicle.  Almost all of my reading gets done on the train.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 08:43:17 AM »
The self-checkout lines drive me crazy and I refuse to use them no matter how crowded the store is.

Automated phone menus are another way to pass labor off on the consumer.  Who among us hasn't waded through a labyrinth of menu options only to find that the issue can not be solved automatically, and then spent another another half hour on hold because the company doesn't employ enough human beings to help their customers?

Self checkout lines help me avoid making small talk with cashiers, which is a big plus for me.

I hate automated menus, though. My Dad once made me order three pizzas online for a discount of like $1/pizza. It literally took me 30 minutes to work my way through the byzantine menu options to actually get the damn things ordered. I he asks me to do it again, I'm just going to hand him 3 bucks and call the bastards to order.

There just was an article, a gross one on that , that a study was done on all the self order boards at Mc Donalds and Not one single board didnt test for some fecal matter. That is disgusting and those are a total time waste as people just cant seem to figure them out.
It's worth noting that most of these studies test for bacteria that are routinely present in fecal matter ...and in soil, and on just about every other surface everywhere. The reference to "fecal matter" is generally one of those sensationalist phrases that are often used in click-bait articles on the subject.

Which is not to say that these things aren't potential vectors for germs, just that this specific result is not as horrific as it sounds.