Author Topic: Thought on removing home internet  (Read 3671 times)

DocMcStuffins

• Stubble
Thought on removing home internet
« on: October 27, 2016, 05:12:34 AM »
Technical question.  My wife and I are switching over to Cricket as they have the best plan I can find for what WE need.  70 dollars per phone with unlimited DATA (some rebates to get to 60/months).  She and I use alot of data with our occupations >20 GB and we live in the country.  I understand the cost is high for alot of you with the 20/month phones and others which I have evaluated but that is not fitting with our current lifestyle.  But with this, and the unlimited data, could I not get rid of our home internet and just use our phones as hotspots for our computers.  Don't know if this would work.  Would be nice to get rid of the internet bill at home.  Anyone try this ???   

Digital Dogma

• Bristles
Re: Thought on removing home internet
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 07:47:48 AM »
If you're planning on streaming video (netflix, hulu, roku, amazon fire stick, etc) it may not be adequate for a frustration free viewing experience, it often depends on what sort of signal you can receive in your area. I'd say give it a try for a week and if you like it, cut the internet!

Worst case you come crawling back to the same internet provider if it doesn't work out.

NoStacheOhio

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 07:51:25 AM »
Are you getting reimbursed on the work use?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 07:52:15 AM »
Be wary that sometimes "unlimited" is really "if you use too much, we'll slow down your connection and/or drop you as a customer."

How much is your home internet? How much of the data do you use at your house vs. away from home?

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2016, 08:22:56 AM »
"Unlimited" is never actually unlimited, and Cricket does not permit tethering on all plans (correction, they're finally offering tethering, my apologies - edited appropriately). It can be an act that violates the terms of service and is considered worthy of terminating the account over if you're not paying for it. Read their terms for hostspots, though, it's not great.

Maybe give the guide a read before making any major changes, and consider going on a mobile data diet.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 08:26:33 AM by I.P. Daley »

DocMcStuffins

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
Good thoughts.  Did not read Cricket's policy.  I think I will give it a try to see the performance and then report back in next week.  I will read through their stuff.   Thanks for the great thoughts / suggestions. 

DocMcStuffins

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2016, 01:21:10 PM »
IP, I have been thinking about your article and contemplating your thoughts.  Maybe more discipline on when we use the phone would be best option......will need to discuss this the most with my wife as I am easy to change with my behavior when it comes to money.

snogirl

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2016, 02:03:23 PM »
I got rid of my home internet (and cable) & just used my smartphone for almost 3 years.
Most of my must see TV watching (not much) was deliberately organized by hanging out with friends, family or neighbors. 
It really made me get creative. 
Also I pretty much knew every hotspot, free wifi spot around me. 
It didn't hamper me whatsoever, but I am a avid outdoors person & freelance photographer. 
I was able to do a lot albeit at times it could be frustrating.  Nothing is perfect. 
My reading and projects skyrocketed. Also I wasn't much of a streamer, gamer, or have kids fwiw.
My savings I estimated at $3000 for my area which does not have any option but Xfinity.     
Recently I have re-introduced home internet only because I am retiring for yet the second time (1st time Army/2nd time because I want to) and starting a business. 
I say give it a go.  You can always go back & they give such great deals as a new customer.

golfreak12

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 06:11:34 PM »
Im always looking for better deals on the internet but its one thing I will not give up.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 06:21:33 PM »
Dear lord.

I did 5 years in a rural setting using wireless as my internet.  I had a router that understood a wireless dongle and acted like a "real" internet connection.

It was awful.  It's not the same.  I'd go without internet on my phone before I'd go back to that.  As IP says... It's not unlimited.  At best, they'll throttle you down once you hit some max.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2016, 06:42:36 PM »
I went about 6 months back in 2010 without internet. I didn't have a smart phone and I used the library for access. It took more planning for some things, but the majority of the internet I used and still use is entertainment.

Jammu

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
Unlimited is NOT unlimited.

That said, I have a T-Mobile Hotspot 4G and it works. 480p TV picture. Pretty decent gaming experience. They throttle you down to nothing then treat you like shit on the phone at about 100 gigs in a cycle. But keep it below that and it works alright.

If I had a cable or fiber connection, however, no way would I put up with this.

FiftyIsTheNewTwenty

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2016, 07:58:31 PM »
Add me to the chorus of, "Unlimited is not unlimited." 

If there's enough free internet in your community, doing without it at home may be fine.  I did for awhile.  I could still check email, etc., from my phone, without running up big data tabs. 

It's great for discipline about doing real work programming, writing, etc., vs. just wasting time online.  But also, our free community internet service, in the library and around downtown, was 25-50 Mbps.  So I could be more productive than at home.

The downside is if you're a heavy consumer of streamed content that can't be downloaded.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!