Author Topic: This quarantine shit’s getting real  (Read 68812 times)

achvfi

• Pencil Stache
  • Health is wealth
Re: This quarantine shit’s getting real
« Reply #300 on: May 21, 2020, 11:10:32 AM »
I will add that--here in NC--people are starting to seem "done" with this quarantine. No one is masking in stores. Even in my own household there's a lot of tension.

I am seeing this all around me. Even usually careful people are starting to relax their social distancing standards. I am doing my best to educate and remind my family to have patience and continue good practices.  Its hard.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #301 on: May 21, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »
I will add that--here in NC--people are starting to seem "done" with this quarantine. No one is masking in stores. Even in my own household there's a lot of tension.

I am seeing this all around me. Even usually careful people are starting to relax their social distancing standards. I am doing my best to educate and remind my family to have patience and continue good practices.  Its hard.

Humans are good at handling short, obvious danger disruptions.  Long lasting things that are medium risk and require daily work?  Not so much.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #302 on: May 21, 2020, 11:31:39 AM »

Same here, I noticed. We went near a farmer's market and no one was observing any distancing. The booths are supposed to allow a certain number of people in a time for browsing/buying but only some seemed to be following it. Some people were in lines, like for buying flowers, and they were definitely not 6' apart. So we just left. Another time, I went to a plant/nursery store to grab a few edibles and similar thing. I found it pretty stressful. Also, some people were just letting their kids running around. My personal favorite - the mask wearers that just keep them on their chin only, not even bothering to cover the nose or mouth. Why even have a mask then? Another day, we were walking our groceries home and a couple of people were walking, clearly saw us coming, and didn't even try to single-file or otherwise give us space. In fact, they seemed to try to want to ram us off the sidewalk and bump our shoulders (we were single-filing and there's no where to avoid them on our side unless we want to go into some bushes). This happened another time with some other people sans groceries. Most times we will + other people will give each other a wide berth or walk on the street/bike lane whenever we see someone on the same path. People at the grocery store seem pretty good at observing social distancing and being generally courteous, though, so I don't mind going there.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: May 21, 2020, 02:27:47 PM »
People are still generally being pretty good in my area. About half, or slightly more, are wearing masks. Most people are in stores. (Although I, too, have seen plenty of people who have them over just their mouths.)

There was a good article in Salon about having "quarantine bubbles"--basically a pod of like-minded people who socialize but only with each other, after setting up rules. (You want to make sure that if your family is sanitizing groceries and wearing masks and only sending one person to the store then the others in your group are too.) This both drastically reduces risk and effectively eliminates lockdown fatigue. I think it's a good idea, and I think we're going to try to implement something like it with one family we know. Our extroverted kids need friends. We went for a social distancing walk with them the other day (wearing masks) and the kids did a great job, with a few reminders, keeping masks on and keeping some distance. And everyone felt better after.

However, it's also important to keep in mind that our testing is so messed up that no one really knows what TF is going on. The CDC and many states have been mixing together results from virus tests and (horribly inaccurate) antibody tests. Can't look bad if we don't have an accurate picture of things, can we?

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #304 on: May 21, 2020, 02:38:20 PM »

Well if it makes you feel any better, I went to the grocery store this morning in Waxhaw NC.  All the employees were wearing masks and so were most of the customers.  Maybe I just got lucky....

I definitely agree with you that there is a growing"done with it" attitude.  I'm getting a little cabin fever myself. 

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #305 on: May 21, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

I’m not seeing much in the way of tension, but it’s pretty obvious that the social distancing is being relaxed and people are observing the restrictions, well, notsomuch. That’s to be expected. The idea here from the start was to not overwhelm the medical system. In most places we’ve achieved that. Without a vaccine we are not going to be able to avoid widespread infection of the population over time. This will become endemic. Which is not to say we should throw caution to the wind and have COVID parties. It just means that an expectation that the majority of us will avoid it is probably not realistic.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: May 21, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »

I'll admit it.  We had a social distancing party for mother's day (at a friend's house, in the front yard). Individually packaged snacks.  Everyone had masks and stood 6' apart to talk.  Hand sanitizer and wipes.  Bring your own cup.

Only thing that would have made it better was hugs. 

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #307 on: May 21, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »
I'll admit it.  We had a social distancing party for mother's day (at a friend's house, in the front yard). Individually packaged snacks.  Everyone had masks and stood 6' apart to talk.  Hand sanitizer and wipes.  Bring your own cup.

I don't understand why this would be something to "admit".  Maybe you were being sarcastic? Or is the only allowable interaction with non-household members by video call? That's not my understanding of the protocols.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #308 on: May 22, 2020, 06:39:56 AM »
I will add that I had a positive experience of going to another grocery store, and masks were universal for the staff; more than half of customers, too.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #309 on: May 22, 2020, 12:31:59 PM »

I don't understand why this would be something to "admit".  Maybe you were being sarcastic? Or is the only allowable interaction with non-household members by video call? That's not my understanding of the protocols.
Depends on who you ask.  Everyone has their own idea of what is acceptable.  Multiple families in one front yard!!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #310 on: May 22, 2020, 12:56:06 PM »
We've been in a pretty tight bubble with my in-laws and one other family with two kids close in age to our own. MiL was taking the lead in school work with our kids.

Things have disintegrated. My in-laws want to drive several states away to see my brother-in-law (also has young children). I don't have a way to prevent this, except to remind them that they cannot use restrooms at gas stations. We're trying to settle on some ways we can modify our behavior during the drive to make things safer.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #311 on: May 22, 2020, 03:00:55 PM »
We've been in a pretty tight bubble with my in-laws and one other family with two kids close in age to our own. MiL was taking the lead in school work with our kids.

Things have disintegrated. My in-laws want to drive several states away to see my brother-in-law (also has young children). I don't have a way to prevent this, except to remind them that they cannot use restrooms at gas stations. We're trying to settle on some ways we can modify our behavior during the drive to make things safer.

I've been a bit surprised/confused by the whole restroom reluctance thing. My understanding was that the way you got it was essentially from folks breathing their "droplets" onto you or you touching an item that was infected by the droplets and then touching your eyes/nose.

For the last ~15 years or so I've used a paper towel (or my shirt in the absence of paper towels) to open the door after washing my hands in a public restroom so it's been a loooong time since I've touched a dirty restroom handle. many restrooms even have a trash receptacle right by the door for you to toss your dirty tissue into while holding the door with your foot/elbow.

Anyhow, seems relatively low risk to me.

Just curious as I've heard a bunch of folks mention it. My in-laws have been strict quarantining for 2.5 weeks and are driving about 7 hours to assist my sister in law with childcare as her and her husband are wearing thin working from home with their 18 month old and she's instructed them to pee on the side of the road only; seems overkill to me but what do I know.

I've personally been deemed an "essential" construction worker in Maryland so I've been more or less doing my normal life work wise (anything but normal outside of work) including the occasional bathroom use at Lowes/Home Depot; not to mention the port a johns shared by ~100 men each week. So far so good.

I will add that I had a positive experience of going to another grocery store, and masks were universal for the staff; more than half of customers, too.

In Maryland masks are required inside all stores; seen some folks with them down below their noses and stuff but don't think I've seen anyone without a mask at all in over a month.

People are still generally being pretty good in my area. About half, or slightly more, are wearing masks. Most people are in stores. (Although I, too, have seen plenty of people who have them over just their mouths.)

There was a good article in Salon about having "quarantine bubbles"--basically a pod of like-minded people who socialize but only with each other, after setting up rules. (You want to make sure that if your family is sanitizing groceries and wearing masks and only sending one person to the store then the others in your group are too.) This both drastically reduces risk and effectively eliminates lockdown fatigue. I think it's a good idea, and I think we're going to try to implement something like it with one family we know. Our extroverted kids need friends. We went for a social distancing walk with them the other day (wearing masks) and the kids did a great job, with a few reminders, keeping masks on and keeping some distance. And everyone felt better after.

However, it's also important to keep in mind that our testing is so messed up that no one really knows what TF is going on. The CDC and many states have been mixing together results from virus tests and (horribly inaccurate) antibody tests. Can't look bad if we don't have an accurate picture of things, can we?

A lot of my friends/family are doing that with neighbors or friends....but no one wants an essential worker going into the field in their bubble :(

Luckily I do work with my Dad and Brother in law so we are essentially in the same bubble by default so we've seen them and my mom/sister and niece/nephew pretty regularly. Be nice to see some other friends or my wife's family soon though.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #312 on: May 22, 2020, 03:33:04 PM »

I've been a bit surprised/confused by the whole restroom reluctance thing. My understanding was that the way you got it was essentially from folks breathing their "droplets" onto you or you touching an item that was infected by the droplets and then touching your eyes/nose.

For the last ~15 years or so I've used a paper towel (or my shirt in the absence of paper towels) to open the door after washing my hands in a public restroom so it's been a loooong time since I've touched a dirty restroom handle. many restrooms even have a trash receptacle right by the door for you to toss your dirty tissue into while holding the door with your foot/elbow.

Anyhow, seems relatively low risk to me.

From what I've read, the virus may be present in the faeces of those infected.  Flushing toilets can aerosolises this viral matter, enabling it to be breathed in by others in the restroom at the time or soon after.

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #313 on: May 22, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »
ote]

From what I've read, the virus may be present in the faeces of those infected.  Flushing toilets can aerosolises this viral matter, enabling it to be breathed in by others in the restroom at the time or soon after.

Yeah, there is to date no evidence of any spread via fecal matter.  This virus is being spread almost exclusively via droplet air transmission (coughing, sneezing, and heavy breathing).  Surface transmission is not what we thought, either.  In fact, super spreaders are spreading 80% of infections via droplet transmission.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:44:19 PM by HBFIRE »

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #314 on: May 22, 2020, 05:54:50 PM »
ote]

Yeah, there is to date no evidence of any spread via fecal matter.  This virus is being spread almost exclusively via droplet air transmission (coughing, sneezing, and heavy breathing).  Surface transmission is not what we thought, either.  In fact, super spreaders are spreading 80% of infections via droplet transmission.

True. And one should still close the lid before you flush. Covid isn't the only thing the gets aerosolized from feces.

Missy B

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #315 on: May 22, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »
Question: What is up with the wearing masks only over your mouth thing?

Is there anyone on these boards who does that who would explain the reasoning? I get that people might pull their mask down outside because its easier to breathe, then pull it up in a higher risk area like a store. But when I do that, I pull it off my face entirely. (Also I see people in stores doing it, especially older people)

I suspect people are breathing through their mouth and out their nose instead, and this avoids fogging. But then I've seen a number not wearing glasses who do this.

I don't think I can possibly ask someone in person without sounding really agro and judgy, unfortunately. I suspect are just being dumb, that wearing a mask makes them feel safer even though it isn't making them safer and its wasting PPE. But if there is actually a good reason for it I'd love to know.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #316 on: May 22, 2020, 09:46:00 PM »
Many places I've gone to, including gas stations that were open, kept their bathrooms closed. It has been a huge challenge to find an open public restroom in places since restaurants, fast food, most stores, parks, etc, even if open for take out and shopping, don't open bathrooms. My town has opened public bathrooms at some parks and along the newly opened beach bike path otherwise ....

I suspect that many places are doing this deliberately, to reduce the amount of time that people want to spend congregating in any area. If parks had their bathrooms open then even more people would likely flock to them for longer periods of time, and time seems to be one of the factors as to whether or not you'll get this.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #317 on: May 23, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
This will sound terrible but is anyone seeing an education/income factor in who wears a mask?

If I visit the fancy grocery store here in town everyone - staff and customers are wearing masks.

At Lowe's the staff is wearing safety gear but the majority of customers aren't.

Today I visited a Harbor Freight in a lower income part of town and nobody was wearing a mask - staff, customers - and nobody visiting the 3-4 stores that I could see in the strip mall.

We live in a "red state" and out governor was eager to reopen. A big portion of the population seems to think the emergency is over now even though our local cases are spiking.

A quick trip for carryout last night showed us that several of the franchise restaurants were quite busy - even with sit down customers. One had people milling around outside waiting for a table. No safety gear seen by me.

Our biggest risk is out extrovert eldest. Old enough to know better but convinced that visiting their favorite friend is okay...

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #318 on: May 23, 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
IME the poorer folks and the upper middle have masks. It’s the middle middle and lower middle who can’t imagine a world where it affects them or they affect others.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #319 on: May 23, 2020, 09:25:59 PM »
IME the poorer folks and the upper middle have masks. It’s the middle middle and lower middle who can’t imagine a world where it affects them or they affect others.

It's the not being able to imagine affecting others that gets me. The Gov of ND is asking that idiots be gentle with those wearing masks, because you don't know what they might be going through. Heaven forbid they are going through an understanding of epidemiology! And my parents do live in one of the place (not ND), where people have made rude, if not threatening comments to them about wearing masks.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #320 on: May 24, 2020, 07:20:54 AM »

It's the not being able to imagine affecting others that gets me. The Gov of ND is asking that idiots be gentle with those wearing masks, because you don't know what they might be going through. Heaven forbid they are going through an understanding of epidemiology! And my parents do live in one of the place (not ND), where people have made rude, if not threatening comments to them about wearing masks.

So...the same people whining about personal freedom and wanting people to choose their own level of risk are now bullying those who choose to wear masks and thus have to be lectured like kindergarteners? The cognitive dissonance, narcissism, and immaturity make my head hurt.

MayDay

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #321 on: May 24, 2020, 07:31:23 AM »

This is totally cracking me up.

Sigh.......

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #322 on: May 24, 2020, 08:32:40 AM »
One of my neighbours a couple houses down was carted off in a plastic covered stretcher by two paramedics in full body condoms and respirators last night.  Couldn't see who it was, but the couple who lives their is in their early 50s with no medical problems.  Makes my really happy that we're going full speed ahead with re-opening everything (and damn the torpedoes).

So, y'know.  I'm having a lot of trouble empathizing with the assholes ridiculing and attacking those who are trying to responsibly limit spread of this disease.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #323 on: May 24, 2020, 11:05:57 AM »
One of my neighbours a couple houses down was carted off in a plastic covered stretcher by two paramedics in full body condoms and respirators last night.  Couldn't see who it was, but the couple who lives their is in their early 50s with no medical problems.  Makes my really happy that we're going full speed ahead with re-opening everything (and damn the torpedoes).

So, y'know.  I'm having a lot of trouble empathizing with the assholes ridiculing and attacking those who are trying to responsibly limit spread of this disease.

I’m so sorry. I’m similarly fed up.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #324 on: May 24, 2020, 01:45:57 PM »

Sorry to hear that and I hope their condition improves. (ETA: The science is not quite there yet for that.) One of our neighbors, a septuagenarian awaiting a bone marrow transplant, just tested positive. For now he's allowed to be at home, hopefully it stays that way. His next-door neighbor, like many of our neighbors, has been throwing big pool parties and cookouts every few days for weeks now. This is really maddening to watch.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 02:11:27 PM by hops »

MudPuppy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #325 on: May 24, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
I think they’re dead, @hops

No condition to improve.

hops

• Bristles
« Reply #326 on: May 24, 2020, 02:09:43 PM »
I think they’re dead, @hops

No condition to improve.

Ah, I misread who had the respirator! Will edit that part of the post.

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2020, 02:39:34 PM »
ote]

Here they are monitoring the level of infection in the community through the amount of virus in the waste water in the waste water treatment plant. Though they don’t believe it can spread through the water.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2020, 03:27:24 PM »

Here's a guy who's upset because the police have closed down his gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOseD1OVrb4

TLDR version.   He's ex-military (although a pretty scruffy ex-military) and his gym is his business.    He was using enhanced cleaning procedures, limiting the number of members in the facility to 10, but the police came and shut him down anyway.    He's upset that his constitutional rights have been violated.

This is confusing to me.    As ex-military, shouldn't he be aware that he has responsibilities as well as rights?     He's the last person I would expect to be complaining about having to close his gym.

The gym I go to is also closed.   It's probably going to go bankrupt and have to restart when the pandemic is over.     I support the closing though.   Gyms seem like the perfect place to exchange germs.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #329 on: May 24, 2020, 03:32:32 PM »

TLDR version.   He's ex-military (although a pretty scruffy ex-military) and his gym is his business.    He was using enhanced cleaning procedures, limiting the number of members in the facility to 10, but the police came and shut him down anyway.    He's upset that his constitutional rights have been violated.

This is confusing to me.    As ex-military, shouldn't he be aware that he has responsibilities as well as rights?     He's the last person I would expect to be complaining about having to close his gym.

The gym I go to is also closed.   It's probably going to go bankrupt and have to restart when the pandemic is over.     I support the closing though.   Gyms seem like the perfect place to exchange germs.

I completely understand why he's upset, and I would be too, but unfortunately the science isn't in his favor. It's a really shitty situation with no easy answer.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #330 on: May 24, 2020, 03:52:22 PM »
Reporting from Long Island, NY.  I know a few people that know of people who have died from this.  No one is taking it lightly.  Everyone is distancing and masking.  Looks like this week some things are going to open up.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #331 on: May 24, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »
Reporting from Long Island, NY.  I know a few people that know of people who have died from this.  No one is taking it lightly.  Everyone is distancing and masking.  Looks like this week some things are going to open up.

My brother lives up in the Canadian arctic.  He thinks this whole thing is overblown, and panic driven from govts and media.  They had two cases up there, and zero deaths.

A friend of mine is Italian.  Lots of older relatives in Italy.  Several of them died.  He is much more concerned and distraught over this virus than my brother.

It seems many people rely on their personal experiences to guide their perception here.  Probably not a good strategy from either perspective.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #332 on: May 24, 2020, 06:20:32 PM »

This gym is 15 minutes up the road from me. I don't know what the hell happened there but it was some kind of stink or something. The town's police chief resigned and the Town Council called an emergency meeting, probably to deal with fallout to the police department. The gym should not have been open but from what I gather from local news the police did not act in a professional matter.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #333 on: May 25, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »

I'm so sorry. That really sucks.

Friends of ours have an uncle (not US based) who died of this.

And one staff member tested positive at my mom's place. Everyone else has tested negative (thank goodness!) but that staff person was admitted to the hospital. I don't know the name, but it's someone who worked on my mom's floor. It's someone who cared for my mom in ways that I can't. It's someone I've interacted with frequently, since I knew and liked all the staff on that floor.  It really just sucks.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: May 25, 2020, 12:44:12 PM »
For all of you that have loved ones, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances who are very sick or have died, I am very sorry.

It's arrogance. Where I live in NC, the "I don't need no stinking mask" arrogance seems to be especially prevalent among white people aged 30-60. Their "freedom" just smells like death to me. I went grocery shopping today . . . probably won't go back for a long time. We're going to be rationing here and literally doing the eat all the food in your house challenge for the rest of the summer.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #335 on: May 25, 2020, 12:49:06 PM »
For all of you that have loved ones, friends, co-workers, and acquaintances who are very sick or have died, I am very sorry.

It's arrogance. Where I live in NC, the "I don't need no stinking mask" arrogance seems to be especially prevalent among white people aged 30-60. Their "freedom" just smells like death to me. I went grocery shopping today . . . probably won't go back for a long time. We're going to be rationing here and literally doing the eat all the food in your house challenge for the rest of the summer.
Here in the UK it's all over the news that the Prime Minister's top advisor took a 250 mile trip when he knew he and his wife had the virus.  The lockdown was breaking up in any case - it's lovely summer weather and a bank holiday today - but this news and the refusal to accept that anything was wrong with what he did or that the rules apply to him will drive a coach and horses through any further attempts to enforce it.  There is a lot of anger about it all.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #336 on: May 25, 2020, 12:56:52 PM »

Ugh. If you can manage to go grocery shopping either very early on a weekend morning or on a weekday, the crowds will be lighter and you may see more people in masks. Also, my parents swear by curbside pickup. Eating what you have is great, but if you run out of something essential you may want to place a pickup order if that’s available. It might make things a bit less stressful over the summer.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #337 on: May 25, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
This will sound terrible but is anyone seeing an education/income factor in who wears a mask?

If I visit the fancy grocery store here in town everyone - staff and customers are wearing masks.

At Lowe's the staff is wearing safety gear but the majority of customers aren't.

Today I visited a Harbor Freight in a lower income part of town and nobody was wearing a mask - staff, customers - and nobody visiting the 3-4 stores that I could see in the strip mall.

We live in a "red state" and out governor was eager to reopen. A big portion of the population seems to think the emergency is over now even though our local cases are spiking.

A quick trip for carryout last night showed us that several of the franchise restaurants were quite busy - even with sit down customers. One had people milling around outside waiting for a table. No safety gear seen by me.

Our biggest risk is out extrovert eldest. Old enough to know better but convinced that visiting their favorite friend is okay...

I've been out frequently and I don't see it.
Its mostly the ignorant people that don't wear masks.
People just need to understand that wearing masks is not to protect yourself but others. Just like smoking but much worst consequences. I mean people would still be smoking everywhere if laws weren't passed down.
What I don't understand is why don't more stores require people to wear masks when entering. Its the exact same as requiring to wear clothing/shoes when entering. By requiring this, you can greatly help reduce the spread.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #338 on: May 25, 2020, 07:22:32 PM »
Some stores have required it. Some states have required it (Hawaii, apparently, go Hawaii.)

But, here in NC, I'm guess mask wearing is pretty much breaking down along party lines more than anything. It makes no sense to me that restrictions are being relaxed here when we have more new cases per day in my state than ever, but what do I know?

Here in the UK it's all over the news that the Prime Minister's top advisor took a 250 mile trip when he knew he and his wife had the virus.  The lockdown was breaking up in any case - it's lovely summer weather and a bank holiday today - but this news and the refusal to accept that anything was wrong with what he did or that the rules apply to him will drive a coach and horses through any further attempts to enforce it.  There is a lot of anger about it all.

They traveled knowing they were positive cases? Why? Where did they need to go so badly?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #339 on: May 25, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
Some stores have required it. Some states have required it (Hawaii, apparently, go Hawaii.)

But, here in NC, I'm guess mask wearing is pretty much breaking down along party lines more than anything. It makes no sense to me that restrictions are being relaxed here when we have more new cases per day in my state than ever, but what do I know?

They traveled knowing they were positive cases? Why? Where did they need to go so badly?

To their country estate, of course!

It is the same.oroblem we gave. In the US, the "leaders" refuse to comply, why should anyone else?

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #340 on: May 25, 2020, 09:35:19 PM »
Those claiming there would be a massive surge as we reopen, I just hope they will admit they were wrong if/when that doesn't happen.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-spike-coronavirus-places-reopening-132442853.html

And we are now about a month into reopening things, lowest death total in over 2 months.  People sure have gotten quiet about the surge we were going to get when reopening.  I'm not getting my hopes up that they will admit they were wrong.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:04:21 PM by HBFIRE »

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #341 on: May 25, 2020, 10:36:39 PM »
Those claiming there would be a massive surge as we reopen, I just hope they will admit they were wrong if/when that doesn't happen.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-spike-coronavirus-places-reopening-132442853.html

And we are now about a month into reopening things, lowest death total in over 2 months.  People sure have gotten quiet about the surge we were going to get when reopening.  I'm not getting my hopes up that they will admit they were wrong.

It takes weeks to be sick enough to get on a ventilator, and it takes weeks to die on a ventilator. Don't be impatient. It won't be long. It'll rise just slowly at first, like when the pandemic started. And then all hell will break loose. Again.

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #342 on: May 25, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
I'm just outside of Chicago. Our little affluent suburb is doing fairly well- most of the deaths have been in senior facilities. But I don't have to travel far to find serious outbreaks. Restaurants take out only. Masks required and number of people limited in stores. Chicago beaches closed. Parks closed, except for walking. You can't climb on playground equipment or play on the fields. If you didn't have a yard and had kids, it would be awful. Husband I are retired- although as a COBOL programmer- he's back teleworking to help pay unemployment claims.  I am not planning to rush up to Wisconsin and eat in a restaurant- I don't see that happening for a long time. But I cannot do most of the things I did- church- online but a poor substitute. I helped cook for a rotating shelter once on a month- that is gone. My husband did computer literacy classes at a halfway house- that is gone. Library closed. The craft classes I took at the community center- gone.

BussoV6

• Bristles
« Reply #343 on: May 26, 2020, 01:01:28 AM »

I watched him on BBC last night trying to explain himself. Hilarious! Once BoJo figures out how much this is hurting him, Dominic will be history.

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #344 on: May 26, 2020, 01:33:45 AM »
I've only see this CDC data presented one or two places but it shows a best estimate of fatality rate of 0.4% for symptomatic individuals. Asymptomatic individuals are estimated at 35% which means the overall fatality rate is about 0.26%.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/planning-scenarios.html#box
COVID-19 Pandemic Planning Scenarios

For Pandemic Scenario 5:
This Scenario represents a current best estimate about viral transmission and disease severity in the United States, with the same caveat: that the parameter values will change as more data become available.

Parameter values are based on data received by CDC prior to 4/29/2020

Here's a breakdown of the major variables between the best cast and worst case scenarios as well as the best estimate.
R0 is 2-3 with a best estimate of 2.5
Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio, all ages is 0.2% to 1.0% with a best estimate of 0.4% overall, or 1 in 250
Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio, age 0-49 is 0.02% to 0.1% with a best estimate of 0.05% or 1 in 2,000
Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio, age 65+ is 0.6% to 3.2% with a best estimate of 1.3%, or 1 in 77
Percent of infections that are asymptomatic are 20% to 50% with a best estimate of 35%.

This data is not presented as the results of some new study, it's planning factors for healthcare professionals. Still, this is far lower than a lot of the numbers still being thrown around. When I search on Google News for "CDC Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio" I get a few articles touting the 35% asymptomatic number, but only a couple talking about the overall implications of a ~0.3% infection fatality ratio.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #345 on: May 26, 2020, 05:20:53 AM »
I've only see this CDC data presented one or two places but it shows a best estimate of fatality rate of 0.4% for symptomatic individuals. Asymptomatic individuals are estimated at 35% which means the overall fatality rate is about 0.26%.

For Pandemic Scenario 5:
This Scenario represents a current best estimate about viral transmission and disease severity in the United States, with the same caveat: that the parameter values will change as more data become available.

Here's a breakdown of the major variables between the best cast and worst case scenarios as well as the best estimate.
Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio, all ages is 0.2% to 1.0% with a best estimate of 0.4% overall, or 1 in 250
Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio, age 0-49 is 0.02% to 0.1% with a best estimate of 0.05% or 1 in 2,000
Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio, age 65+ is 0.6% to 3.2% with a best estimate of 1.3%, or 1 in 77
Percent of infections that are asymptomatic are 20% to 50% with a best estimate of 35%.

This data is not presented as the results of some new study, it's planning factors for healthcare professionals. Still, this is far lower than a lot of the numbers still being thrown around. When I search on Google News for "CDC Symptomatic Case Fatality Ratio" I get a few articles touting the 35% asymptomatic number, but only a couple talking about the overall implications of a ~0.3% infection fatality ratio.

That’s very interesting and thanks for posting. One big piece of info that seems to get left out in this, probably because we just don’t know, is the number of people who are picking up long term problems as a result. E.g. permanent or semi-permanent lung damage. This is some really nasty crud.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #346 on: May 26, 2020, 07:24:32 AM »

For Pandemic Scenario 5:

That’s very interesting and thanks for posting. One big piece of info that seems to get left out in this, probably because we just don’t know, is the number of people who are picking up long term problems as a result. E.g. permanent or semi-permanent lung damage. This is some really nasty crud.

Or kidney or heart damage. This virus isn’t just hitting the lungs.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #347 on: May 26, 2020, 04:14:04 PM »
I am, quite frankly, highly skeptical of US numbers at this point. The CDC has been fudging testing numbers to include both actual COVID tests and antibody test results ([url=https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/25/doctors-condemn-secrecy-over-false-negative-covid-19-tests]both of which have been unreliable). Plus, now the Trump admin is saying that coronavirus cases from nursing homes don't need to be counted before May 6th. both of those are going to bring the CFR waaaaaay down. But hey, it's not like it's an election year, so why would anyone want to mess with the numbers to make this administration look slightly less incompetent? MAGA! /s

As for the number of cases not rising in states that have reopened, yes they are. "South Carolina had the biggest weekly increase at 42%." The overall number might be going down because NY is now getting under control, but new places are--surprise!--flaring up right on time. This is just the beginning, since these people likely got sick right at the beginning of restrictions being lifted. It's not the crest of the wave, it's the start of a new one. States are starting to see another uptick in hospitalizations, which is a better metric than testing because if we don't test then the numbers can't look bad!

People point to Sweden but not only are they not even close to herd immunity (only 7-8% of people in the worst affected areas have had it or have antibodies to it) but they've also been suffering the same economic effects.

As for COVID not being in poop, apparently it can be tested in sewage and can be used as a "leading indicator", so make of that what you will.

Gremlin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #348 on: May 26, 2020, 05:54:29 PM »

For Pandemic Scenario 5:

Or kidney or heart damage. This virus isn’t just hitting the lungs.
Or brain and nervous system.  It seems to just keep on giving.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #349 on: May 28, 2020, 10:23:53 AM »
I have a pair of close friends who are completely anti-mask and anti-quarantine. Every single day they make facebook posts about how their freedoms are being infringed upon and the husband even posted the other day bragging about going to the grocery store without a mask on. He works at Target and has been working through the whole pandemic, so he is exposed every single day and he can't seem to understand that he is exposing others by going around without a mask on. He says if you are scared you can wear a mask but he won't be doing it. (Although he does wear one at work since he is required to. He just complains about it).

Then last week they decided to take a road trip from Denver to Mount Rushmore. They honestly don't see anything wrong with what they did. They ate every meal in restaurants and stayed in hotels. They made a million facebook posts during the trip and kept commenting on how nice it was to be in states that didn't require masks and how great it was to sit down in a restaurant to eat and to not see a mask in sight. Apparently WY, NE, and SD didn't have the same quarantine rules as CO. I just hope they didn't leave a path of infection behind them. There is a reason why the "safer at home" orders in CO say that you shouldn't travel more than 10 miles from your home or leave your county.