Author Topic: This is Why I Want to Retire - Annoying things colleagues do and say  (Read 95026 times)

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: This is Why I Want to Retire - Annoying things colleagues do and say
« Reply #150 on: June 02, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »
I would be surprised if IT is solely responsible for the password rules. I think the manager in charge of each utility makes up the unique rule their little silo and forces it on everyone else.

The database administrator in our building is pretty cool about it. To get into any of the D-bases he's set up, your password & login is the same. And its a dead simple piece of information we all have in front of us.

Some of the others though - yeah, the passwords are brutal, and the help questions are no better.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: June 02, 2015, 08:51:57 AM »
Password changes are there in case someone does get access to your password.  The idea is to restrict the time on which access may be obtained.

Personally, even as an info sec professional, I hate them and for some reason compliance requirements make them mandatory.

As for multiple systems , I generally rotate all my passwords at the same time (the shortest frequency) and use pass phrases for all of them that follow the same base for whatever organization (I have a separate base for work, home, finance, etc).

If you are using a password manager , then beware of your corporate policy,  most places consider credentials to be at least confidential and you would be in violation of corporate policy,

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #152 on: June 02, 2015, 09:08:44 AM »
People who constantly sniff. Please just blow your nose.

I am noise sensitive, so the small cube/open floor workspace plan has sucked for me.

Yes, I have ear plugs, but they don't bock all the noise (but block a lot of the noise). I think I may get an ear infection from having these in so long each day.

I'm one of the sniffers. Blowing my nose doesn't help - I have post nasal drip. In addition, the common remedies I can't use for one reason or another. Could someone please invent a nasal spray that isn't a steroid? I can't take steroids long term!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:56 AM »
I hate IM. People from a department I work closely with will IM me saying "Do you have a minute to talk about this file?" Then they'll call me, then ask their question(s). For me to even begin to help them I have to stop working on the file I am working on and pull up all my notes and documents related to the file they want. During this time they are bombarding me with questions that I can't answer until I research it. I'd much prefer an email listing out their questions. The other people in my department agree and our management has actually had meeting where they tell the IMing department people to please send an email so we don't have to drop everything and try to research while on the phone, but they still do this.

When they im you, tell them no but if they email it to you then you'll get back to them. If you're lucky, they'll figure it out.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: June 02, 2015, 10:03:04 AM »
We have to change our passwords every thirty days.  I work in transportation.  I have a friend who works for the Department of the Treasury.  She's been there ten years.  She has never once had to change her password.

Yeah, doesn't make sense to me either.

Remben

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • The Inner Tiger
« Reply #155 on: June 02, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »
I do use a password manager.  My whiteboard.

That hurts my IT eyes :)

Chester Allen Arthur

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #156 on: June 02, 2015, 11:26:11 AM »
Man, you guys need better IT departments.  We're on a 90 day password change schedule, but everything is connected to Windows active directory, so the same password and username works on all 30 little utilities we use.

On topic: people that talk to me when I'm going somewhere.  I'm moving not towards you and probably carrying a coffee cup, I'm clearly on a mission.  If you want to chat, IM me.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: June 02, 2015, 11:30:18 AM »
I worked at a place a while back that had a website with one-way encrypted passwords. I encrypted the word "Password" and compared that to the stored encrypted passwords for the website. Over 70% of the passwords matched.

humbleMouse

• Bristles
« Reply #158 on: June 02, 2015, 12:35:29 PM »
There's an annoying skinny guy who works in the office that pulls out random fruit and vegetables during the day.

10am? Time for some baby carrots
11am? Time for celery and peanut butter
2pm? Cut up a random vegetable at his desk

He's kind of effeminate and looks like Edward Snowden.

I'm this guy at my office... lolz

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #159 on: June 02, 2015, 12:47:58 PM »
I worked at a place a while back that had a website with one-way encrypted passwords. I encrypted the word "Password" and compared that to the stored encrypted passwords for the website. Over 70% of the passwords matched.

unsalted password encryption is almost as awesome as unencrypted password storage.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: June 02, 2015, 12:55:03 PM »

one-way encrypted passwords.

Sorry to pick nits..  That is hashing.  Different than encrypted.

A few points:
1) not salting hashes (as pointed above) is bad

2). Permitting humans access I the password storage and view even the hashes is bad practice.  (Odds are they have access to the salt as well as the hash).

3). Passwords as a whole are god damn annoying.  Just give me tokens or call OTP to my mobile.  Yes, then I don't have to think about it.

Yes, I know side effects and negatives of 3.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #161 on: June 02, 2015, 01:00:30 PM »
Shrug, no idea about this, they called it "MD5 encryption" - this was quite a while ago so maybe things are different now.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #162 on: June 02, 2015, 01:29:49 PM »
I have a colleague who has full-blown temper tantrums with yelling and stomping.  The most recent one was because someone parked illegally in a handicapped spot in the parking lot. 

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #163 on: June 02, 2015, 01:41:25 PM »

I am noise sensitive, so the small cube/open floor workspace plan has sucked for me.

Yes, I have ear plugs, but they don't bock all the noise (but block a lot of the noise). I think I may get an ear infection from having these in so long each day.

I'm one of the sniffers. Blowing my nose doesn't help - I have post nasal drip. In addition, the common remedies I can't use for one reason or another. Could someone please invent a nasal spray that isn't a steroid? I can't take steroids long term!

I know nothing about this condition, but would keeping a tissue / hankies handy and simply dabbing or wiping help? I always have a hankie nearby because I seem to have a drippy face (eyes and nose).

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #164 on: June 02, 2015, 01:42:23 PM »
I have a colleague who has full-blown temper tantrums with yelling and stomping.  The most recent one was because someone parked illegally in a handicapped spot in the parking lot. 

That's silly.  A temper tantrum won't fix the problem.  Just let all the air out of the tires.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: June 02, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »

Shrug, no idea about this, they called it "MD5 encryption" - this was quite a while ago so maybe things are different now.

MD5 is a hashing algorithm.  I know it is nit picking.  I hate doing that, but there is a difference.   Hashing is not supposed to be reversible.  Encryption is if the right key is provided.

WerKater

• Bristles
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2015, 01:44:47 PM »
Whether that really counts as encryption is kind of a philosophical question. I suppose it should not count because there is no password or key or anything that you can use to decrypt your "encrypted" (or rather: "hashed") passwords. But in practice, I do hear the expression "Storing a password encrypted" a lot. But yeah, what it means is that not the password itself is stored but its hash.
And:
- one should use a salted hash. The idea is this: if your password is "password", a random string (the "salt") is created, let's say "42" and added to the password. Then the hash of "password42" (or "42password" or something; I don't know exactly how it is typically implemented) is created and stored in a file. The salt is different for each user. If you don't use a salt, an attacker has a better chance of cracking at least a few passwords in large databases.
- A stronger hash than md5 should be used. But since you say it was some time ago, md5 might still have been considered safe. Today, sha-512 is more usual (and much safer).

[edit]: And I missed that there was an additional post, somehow. Insanity's statement "Hashing is not supposed to be reversible.  Encryption is if the right key is provided" is the correct way of looking at it.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 01:51:05 PM by WerKater »

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: June 02, 2015, 02:12:30 PM »
My work's password requirements:

1. Change it every 30 days
2. Can't be the same as any of your last 50 passwords
3. Must be between 10 and 23 characters long (yes 23, I don't know why it's 23)
4. Can't have 3 consecutive letters in alpha order (so no ABC)
5. Can't have 3 consecutive letters in keyboard order (so no QWE)
6. Can't have more than 2 repeating letters (so AA is good, AAA is not)
7. Can't have more than 3 letters in a row
8. Can't have more than 2 numbers in a row (12 is good, 123 is not)
9. Can't repeat numbers (11 is bad)
10. Must have 1 number, lowercase letter, uppercase letter and special character
11. Must start with a letter
12. Can't end with a special character

I think it took me 30 minutes my first day to find a password that would work.  I think it just head butted the keyboard a few times until something stuck.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: June 02, 2015, 02:16:30 PM »

10. Must have 1 number, lowercase letter, uppercase letter and special character

I think it took me 30 minutes my first day to find a password that would work.  I think it just head butted the keyboard a few times until something stuck.
I suspect the majority of employees there have a password on a post-it under their keyboards.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #169 on: June 02, 2015, 02:20:28 PM »
I used to have a work-issue Blackberry.  You had to have a 4-digit pin to get into it.  Mine was, duh, "1111".  This meant it was very easy to thumb it open to join a conference call, etc, while driving.

Now we have iPhones, which are vastly better in most ways, except they require a real alphanumeric password with capital letter, etc. 

We had a safety training topic on driving and cell phones on time (always have "safety topic of the day" for meetings) and I pointed out that the old password methodology was FAR safer than the new one when it came to driving and yapping on the phone.  Everyone agreed.  Nothing was done.

(spare me the "don't talk on the phone while driving" spiel, if I didn't drive while on conference calls I'd never actually get to go home)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #170 on: June 02, 2015, 02:22:32 PM »
one of the things that annoys me at work are all the people battering on about passwords.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: June 02, 2015, 02:34:02 PM »

I used to have a work-issue Blackberry.  You had to have a 4-digit pin to get into it.  Mine was, duh, "1111".  This meant it was very easy to thumb it open to join a conference call, etc, while driving.

Now we have iPhones, which are vastly better in most ways, except they require a real alphanumeric password with capital letter, etc. 

We had a safety training topic on driving and cell phones on time (always have "safety topic of the day" for meetings) and I pointed out that the old password methodology was FAR safer than the new one when it came to driving and yapping on the phone.  Everyone agreed.  Nothing was done.

(spare me the "don't talk on the phone while driving" spiel, if I didn't drive while on conference calls I'd never actually get to go home)

Sounds like you need to be working from or just decline meetings.  I

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: June 02, 2015, 02:35:47 PM »

Sounds like you need to be working from or just decline meetings.  I
Or get a driver. If your job cannot be done safely the solution is not to do it dangerously, it's to not do it.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: June 02, 2015, 03:37:30 PM »
Well, I have this one coworker who insists on drinking water from my glasses. She just saunters over and takes a drink. If there's something in there she doesn't want, she'll often just knock it on the floor. She doesn't speak English, and yet when I don't understand her and don't do what she wants, she jumps on my desk and sticks her bum in my face.

Oh yeah, we have those too. And the smelly stuff they eat for lunch!

We have bullpen-style cubes, where four of us each sit in a corner of one big cube. The guy next to me was clipping his fingernails today. I think tomorrow I'll shave my legs. Maybe irrigate my sinuses, too.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #174 on: June 02, 2015, 03:42:03 PM »
Well, I have this one coworker who insists on drinking water from my glasses. She just saunters over and takes a drink. If there's something in there she doesn't want, she'll often just knock it on the floor. She doesn't speak English, and yet when I don't understand her and don't do what she wants, she jumps on my desk and sticks her bum in my face.

We have bullpen-style cubes, where four of us each sit in a corner of one big cube. The guy next to me was clipping his fingernails today. I think tomorrow I'll shave my legs. Maybe irrigate my sinuses, too.

How about a colonic?

GreenSheep

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #175 on: June 02, 2015, 04:24:55 PM »
Oh, this is such a great thread, and I don't even work in a cube! Here are some of mine...

-People (coworkers and customers) who comment on how young I look for my age. As if there is a standard for how old someone is supposed to look at age 35. This is another one of those "I know you mean well, but I'm sick and tired of responding to the same old comment." I don't smoke, tan, eat crap, or apply makeup with a trowel. Maybe you should try it.
-People who comment on my food. Usually these are people who scarf down fast food while complaining about their weight/health issues, and they tell me that although my homemade food smells delicious, they could never eat as healthy as I do. Um, have you even tried?
-People who ask me to do things that are waaaaay below my level of training. Sure, I don't mind helping out, but please keep in mind that when I'm doing someone else's job, I'm not doing my own job.
-People who repeatedly ask how much longer it's going to be. (Invariably those who also do the above.) The more you interrupt me to ask, the longer it's going to take. I'm not checking Facebook on this computer; I'm working. Probably on something you're waiting for.
-Close-talkers. And their even uglier cousins, close-talkers with bad breath. Taking a step back every so often doesn't help; they just slowly chase you to the wall.

AlwaysBeenASaver

• Bristles
« Reply #176 on: June 02, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
Took me a minute to figure out, I was at first thinking "OMG I can't believe that!" Now that I've figured it out, yeah, starting next Monday I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time with my housemate that has the same habbits your coworker does :-)

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2015, 01:40:55 AM »
My coworker does all that, plus she flops her whole body on my keyboard at will.

BTW, She always bugs me to tell you that she thinks your handle should read CPA Cat. She says that the degree is so hard to earn that all three letters really should be capitalized. Either that or she has OCD and just doesn't like the way it looks. Or both.

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2015, 06:37:52 AM »
Another one just came to mind.  People who talk on the phone in the bathroom.  This seems to be only an Indian phenomenon, as none of my other colleagues would think to do this.  It's definitely okay in their culture, because when I went to India to visit our office there, it was rampant.  I repeatedly flush and flush and flush just to make noise, but it just does not phase them!

Oh, and my other annoying bathroom pet peeve: sitting in the stall next to mine, when there are 10 other stalls not occupied!  Really?  Can't I just have an ounce of privacy?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #179 on: June 03, 2015, 06:48:37 AM »
Another one just came to mind.  People who talk on the phone in the bathroom.  This seems to be only an Indian phenomenon, as none of my other colleagues would think to do this.  It's definitely okay in their culture, because when I went to India to visit our office there, it was rampant.  I repeatedly flush and flush and flush just to make noise, but it just does not phase them!

Oh, and my other annoying bathroom pet peeve: sitting in the stall next to mine, when there are 10 other stalls not occupied!  Really?  Can't I just have an ounce of privacy?

People who grunt or sigh loudly in the bathroom. I assume that they are completely unaware of how much they (verbally) express themselves while expressing, but really? "Feel better? Great"

And I am in the ladies room, no idea what sort of vocalizatiobs go on in the men's room.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #180 on: June 03, 2015, 07:07:01 AM »
BTW, She always bugs me to tell you that she thinks your handle should read CPA Cat. She says that the degree is so hard to earn that all three letters really should be capitalized. Either that or she has OCD and just doesn't like the way it looks. Or both.

Well it is an acronym, so she's technically correct, if a bit pedantic.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #181 on: June 03, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »
We have an older Russian dude who drops his pants and underwear to his ankles when using the urinals.  Ass hangin' out free in the breeze as he pees.  Then there's the bend WAAAAYYYYYY over to pick the pants back up.  Contemplated kicking him into the urinal at this point, but haven't acted on it . . . yet.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #182 on: June 03, 2015, 07:20:44 AM »
Another one just came to mind.  People who talk on the phone in the bathroom.
There is a woman in my building (not my company) who does this, plus she doesn't wash her hands (well, you'd have to put down the phone, I guess) and she smokes on the fire escape right outside our open office window next to the giant NO SMOKING sign. Some people are just bad people. :-(

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #183 on: June 03, 2015, 07:30:25 AM »
Another one just came to mind.  People who talk on the phone in the bathroom. 

I liked to try to make loud noises in the background to let people know they are part of a poop-call.  Once someone bugged me so much I flushed 4 times with phrases such as "wow that big boy won't go down" and "man, you guys need to thank me for these courtesy flushes.  That food didn't sit right" .  I've also quoted Austin Powers; "Who does #2 work for!" as well as have made a giant ball of TP, soaked it in the sink and then dropped it from about 3 ft up to make a nice splash sound.  That make a nice wave and took me a few minutes to clean up, but the things I do for laughs.

2lazy2retire

« Reply #184 on: June 03, 2015, 07:44:05 AM »
Man, you guys need better IT departments.  We're on a 90 day password change schedule, but everything is connected to Windows active directory, so the same password and username works on all 30 little utilities we use.

On topic: people that talk to me when I'm going somewhere.  I'm moving not towards you and probably carrying a coffee cup, I'm clearly on a mission.  If you want to chat, IM me.

Active Directory ? so last year - this is what's needed, once and done

http://www.bayometric.com/blog/how-can-fingerprint-scanners-make-single-sign-on-computer-logon-more-secured-and-save-money/

2lazy2retire

« Reply #185 on: June 03, 2015, 07:54:26 AM »
We have an older Russian dude who drops his pants and underwear to his ankles when using the urinals.  Ass hangin' out free in the breeze as he pees.  Then there's the bend WAAAAYYYYYY over to pick the pants back up.  Contemplated kicking him into the urinal at this point, but haven't acted on it . . . yet.

I'm waiting for an "old Russian dude" to post

Every time I go for a piss that weird GuitarStv guy is in there checking my ass out - glad I'm retiring soon.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #186 on: June 03, 2015, 08:02:50 AM »

http://www.bayometric.com/blog/how-can-fingerprint-scanners-make-single-sign-on-computer-logon-more-secured-and-save-money/

Amazingly, most of these can be fooled with molds made from Elmer's glue.  And if the fingerprint password database gets hacked, the password can't really be changed.  (Or: It can only be changed up to 10 times.... depends on how you look at it.)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: June 03, 2015, 08:09:26 AM »

I know nothing about this condition, but would keeping a tissue / hankies handy and simply dabbing or wiping help? I always have a hankie nearby because I seem to have a drippy face (eyes and nose).

I wish. No, it's in the back of the sinuses and just drips down slowly. The sneezing is a completely separate thing, which I also have. Allergy meds greatly help with the miserableness/stuffy/sneezing problem. 

The best treatment I'm aware of for post-nasal drip is the nasal sprays, some of them just went over the counter. Problem is that they're all steroid based, and I'm oversensitive. Long term use could cause some very bad things - it gave my mom glaucoma for example. There are some other things that can help, and none of the ones I've tried worked for me. I just muddle along as best I can.

2lazy2retire

« Reply #188 on: June 03, 2015, 08:12:31 AM »

Amazingly, most of these can be fooled with molds made from Elmer's glue.  And if the fingerprint password database gets hacked, the password can't really be changed.  (Or: It can only be changed up to 10 times.... depends on how you look at it.)

Iris then - hard to get a mold of that

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #189 on: June 03, 2015, 09:09:37 AM »
I interact with the Leadership Team and BoD frequently, unfortunately.  I seriously want to play a drinking game for buzz words.  I literally count how many times the words "leverage", "value add" and "synergy" are used.  Now, if I could add shots of tequila, it would be fun.

Sounds like you'd be drunk by mid-morning break (if you work days)!

russianswinga

• Stubble
  • Truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination
« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2015, 10:41:35 AM »

So I have these loud-mouth coworkers in the office, and instead instead of being polite, I troll them instead - I drop my pants to my ankles at urinals and make sure they get a nice view of my bum!

I kid, I kid.

Fuzzy Buttons

• Stubble
« Reply #191 on: June 03, 2015, 11:28:28 AM »
People who grunt or sigh loudly in the bathroom. I assume that they are completely unaware of how much they (verbally) express themselves while expressing, but really? "Feel better? Great"

And I am in the ladies room, no idea what sort of vocalizatiobs go on in the men's room.

We generally group sing old gospel standards.  "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" is popular.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #192 on: June 03, 2015, 11:31:21 AM »

I suspect the majority of employees there have a password on a post-it under their keyboards.

Actually, if you just work your way down the office phone list using both first & last name with their extension, it should meet most requirements. If your office has less than 25 employees, quit and find a new place to work.

For example:
MargaretUnderwood#5209

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2015, 11:35:30 AM »

We generally group sing old gospel standards.  "Swing Low Sweet Chariot" is popular.

You do this too? Is stall three marked "Tenor"? I hate it when I'm forced to sit in the alto stall.

NoraLenderbee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »

How about a colonic?

LOL! although I think someone was doing that in the ladies' room today!

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2015, 03:42:00 PM »

Actually, if you just work your way down the office phone list using both first & last name with their extension, it should meet most requirements. If your office has less than 25 employees, quit and find a new place to work.

For example:
MargaretUnderwood#5209

Brilliant! This response reminded me that my pre-RE employer used to do the same thing. Irritating as shit, especially since IT often couldn't even help. So funny what flees from memory once one retires. I think I am just a lot less pissed off these days, and this is one of the reasons why. Thanks for the reminder of how lucky I am.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #196 on: June 03, 2015, 03:43:24 PM »

Thin walls, I'd likely hear that.
Not 'Michael row the boat ashore' or other more nautical/watery themes?

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2015, 03:44:07 PM »

So I have these loud-mouth coworkers in the office, and instead instead of being polite, I troll them instead - I drop my pants to my ankles at urinals and make sure they get a nice view of my bum!

I kid, I kid.

In Russia, pants drop YOU!

mustachemayhem

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2015, 04:04:19 PM »
Oh joy, here is a thread I can really get behind.

Most of my job involves speaking to other businesses on the phone and taking down email addresses. It's amazing... AMAZING... how many people will apply zero fucks to telling you their email address.
Customer: 'It's john.blahtzenmacnamarha@business.com'.
Me: 'Can you spell that for me?'
Customer: '*sigh* it's written just as it sounds'.

I've had people tell me they have two '@' signs in their email, or that it starts with 'www'.
This job basically makes me hate people. And wonder how so many people have jobs which involve regular emailing, when they don't know how to work the internet. But that's just me being grumpy.

Re being told that you're drinking a lot of water - I find it pretty hilarious when people feel compelled to comment on other people's activities, when it's probably guaranteed that the person already knows what they're doing. When I got a bike my brother warned me that cycling through the city will mean that you'll get a lot of people very keen to tell you that your riding a bike.
So I went for a wee cycle and lo and behold, when I stopped at a red light there was a man walking along the street who spotted me and couldn't help himself. 'You're on a bike!'. Yes sir, I am indeed on a bike.

Two @ signs or begining with www both meet spec. You could have "wwwdot@"@example.com. Written just like it sounds :D

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2015, 06:15:50 PM »
Someone sends an email to a large distribution group accidentally.  Then the following sequence of events occurs:

• People reply to all correcting the sender.  (sometimes adding new large distribution lists)
  • People reply to all saying stop replying to all.
  • People reply to all asking to be removed from the mailing list. (This is a self-service action, you do it yourself.)
  • People reply to all explaining how to remove yourself from a mailing list.  (This one is moderately useful but after ten people give the same instructions it gets old.)

Some of these distribution lists include tens of thousands of people.  I have seen hundreds of these emails come through in a matter of minutes.  It's like our own mini DOS attack.

In general though, I find emails extremely easy to delete so I don't worry about "clogging up my mailbox".