Author Topic: Thinking of retiring to coastal BC - suggestions, comments and feedback please  (Read 29219 times)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
@Backyardfeast - thread hijacks are good when they are gardening - plus it all relates to my goal, right?

Some years we are hot, some years we are not.  I've had years when the hardy hibiscus were amazing, and years when they never bloomed, it never got hot enough.  Plus I see changes - I never used to think I could get a fall crop of peas in, but I am going to try this year, our falls have been milder and frosts later.  Spring frosts are not necessarily kinder, though.  And tomato growing season is late May to mid-September, a bit longer if we are lucky.  And yes, by mid-September it is cooling off enough that things really slow down.

Same with water - wet summers, dry summers, summers where we get both - the consistency in the climate here is that it isn't consistent.  I always plant a bunch of different varieties, because something will do well - I just don't know ahead of time which something  ;-)  How tough are municipalities on water use in dry spells?  I self-monitor here, being on a well - the gardens get watered as needed, the lawn never.

I have already found Erica's blog, thank you - very interesting seeing the differences.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
Update - 9 wonderful days on Vancouver Island, some as tourist (Tofino, I have waded in the Pacific Ocean) and some exploring.

I know the drought is bad, and so are the fires, but there is something negative everywhere.  I took the picture below yesterday - normally the rivers are never this high mid-July, but we have had SO MUCH RAIN!!  Right now it is 25oC, RH 77%, heat index 34oC, and all the dog and I wanted to do was sit in the shade and be hot.  Instead I did basic housework and gardened.  Actually, I think I need to go put the car in the garage, the thunderstorms predicted have hail warnings and should be here soon.  At least they should cool things off a bit.

Back, car is safe.  Time for a shower before the storm gets here (sky to the west is all dark), which will keep me cool for at least 5 minutes.

I think I will start a new related thread, the focus has changed for this one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 07:37:57 PM by RetiredAt63 »

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
So the big question... is coastal BC a place you want to live/retire to? :)

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian