Author Topic: Things you wish you knew when you were 20  (Read 55035 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Things you wish you knew when you were 20
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2014, 01:58:17 PM »
Dont open up the Credit Card envelopes that will fill your mail box.

Save as much as you can and only buy what you can afford

accept mistakes you make, learn from them and move on.

Set realistic goals so they can be achieved

15 minutes of fun could cost you a fortune.

Dont try to disprove the older smart people around you , instead embrace there knowledge you are not smarter than they are.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2014, 03:36:28 PM »
+1 to everything said before, especially about treating your body well and traveling.

Also, take risks in your career.  Trust me, there is nothing worse than taking the "safe" option and then feeling stuck in a dead-end job for several years.  Especially if that job isn't increasing your skills in any meaningful way.  Basically, I wish I'd known that I was worth a whole lot more than the job I took.

Beridian

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2014, 07:01:47 PM »
Take care of your driving record.   Having a crappy driving record is a huge financial land mine that you can step on that will cost you dearly.  Slow down, leave a bit early, never drive when you might even be a teensy tiny bit drunk or stoned.  Relax and drive like an old lady, you’ll likely live longer and save a ton of money.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 11:54:39 AM by Beridian »

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
Affecting a posture of weary cynicism isn't the same as maturity and sophistication.

I wasted an awful lot of time in college being a disagreeable jerk because it gave me a sense of smug moral superiority. Bummer.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2014, 11:41:59 AM »
I thought of one more: be careful if you ever find yourself thinking "I deserve this."  What makes you so deserving?  Sure, you work hard.  But so do lots of other people.  It's a gateway thought that leads a lot of people into trouble, and I don't just mean money trouble.  If you want to justify something to yourself, find a good reason for it.  But telling yourself that you "deserve" something is probably the most dangerous thought you could have.

firelight

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2014, 11:47:00 AM »
^^^^

+1 to this. Life throws so many curveballs that thinking you 'deserve' something is the wrong idea to have.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: February 07, 2014, 12:02:19 PM »
^^^^

+1 to this. Life throws so many curveballs that thinking you 'deserve' something is the wrong idea to have.

Depends on the something, I'd say. Material objects, yes to all of the above. But I see the occasional student in this age range who clearly hasn't determined that he/she deserves to be treated with respect, like any other person, or deserves a safe and sane relationship, or none at all. Just saying that the time of coming into adulthood is a time of vulnerability, and there are things every human being deserves. Generally, they're free, which is a perk.

Jomar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2014, 12:10:49 PM »
If you don't have a car yet, stay car-free as long as you possibly can! I managed until I was 27 (that is, until 4 months ago) and it saved me a fortune. It's amazing how much of a money pit those things are (and my first car is 16 years old!).

aglassman

• Stubble
    • Milwaukee Maven
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
Don't get addicted to things. Protip: if you ever think, "Man, I really need a beer," you are addicted. I learned this from Richard Feynman's book, and it is so true.

I just read The Fantastic Mr. Feynman, great read!  I totally agree with that quote as well. 

I wish I had known how much i wasting my money by borrowing money for cars.  I luckily didn't buy new, but I didn't go cheap either.

PeteD01

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2014, 06:53:10 PM »
This may be anticlimactic, but I do not wish that my 20 year old self knew anything what I know now. I'm still wrestling with the consequences of what he unleashed, but in a good way. My DW started talking about taking it down a notch or two only last year - she was serious. That was the first time that I took inventory and lo and behold everything for FIRE was in place with only a couple of years of fine tuning left to do.
I can no longer relate to my mindset 30 years ago. The recklessness of quitting jobs for no better reason than a mild sense of boredom or a romantic interest somewhere else is quite incomprehensible to me at this point. One thing though I still relate to: Never, ever regret anything (think about it: it makes you very conscious about the consequences of anything you do, it is a big picture thing I have been conscious of as long as I can remember)
I'm older and perhaps wiser and I find it actually to be rather pleasant to take my DW's interests and plans into account - this is not something coming naturally to me, I usually expect others to just join the ride.
No, I have nothing to tell my younger self - he was better at doing what he had to do then just as I am better at doing what I have to do now. And he wouldn't have listened anyway....
And tomorrow is a new day....

Peter

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: February 08, 2014, 12:34:12 AM »
20 year old Travis, don't be so afraid of the stock market. Compound interest is your friend!  Also, you don't need new everything. I didn't learn either of those lessons until recently (I'm 33 now).

I had no problem doing basic (but not great) budgeting in my 20s.  I saved 15% of my income during my 20s, but it stayed in a savings account the whole time.  I contributed a little to TSP and dabbled in my ROTH IRA, but I didn't become a serious investor until a year ago.  Some nights I pull my hair out calculating blown opportunities in the market.  I bought way too much house 4 years ago and had to sell it 2 years later after dumping thousands into upkeep.  I paid cash for a giant truck the same year.  I'm selling it next week for 50% of its original sale price.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #111 on: February 08, 2014, 03:52:07 PM »
^^^^

Depends on the something, I'd say. Material objects, yes to all of the above. But I see the occasional student in this age range who clearly hasn't determined that he/she deserves to be treated with respect, like any other person, or deserves a safe and sane relationship, or none at all. Just saying that the time of coming into adulthood is a time of vulnerability, and there are things every human being deserves. Generally, they're free, which is a perk.

Yes, I was mostly responding to material things.  The "I deserve an expensive  massage!" mindset you hear from so many people.  And while there are certain lifestyle things everyone deserves, it does pay to take a look at what you really need.  My husband and I lived in cabin without running water for 6 months (we had to use an outhouse, even when it dropped down to -60F for two weeks) because we didn't ever turn our noses up at it and tell ourselves that we deserved running water.
In fact, we'd have stayed there a lot longer if they weren't all so far out of town.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #112 on: February 08, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »
I wish I'd read The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense sooner.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2014, 09:41:34 AM »
Design your future lifestyle on paper; what do you want from life - lifestyles of the rich & famous, working as a wildlife biologist (therefore little need for a home as always out in the field), joining the Merchant Marine, etc.?  This will take more than a couple of hours.  After the plans seem to gel, talk this plan over with your parents as they may know you best of all.  Modify plan as needed.  Then, work back from plan to present day. Go for part-time jobs & volunteer activities that are in part of the planned lifestyle; you need this actual feedback from real life.  Just reading about it fails.  Revise plan every year until graduation
  Find/date potential mates whose lifestyle plans are same as yours.  Marry fairly young (by 24?), but put off children for 2 to 3 years.  This will give you time to do things together; big canoe trip, hiking across Europe, sailing to Cabo, whatever.  Put off buying stuff.  You need not furnish every room of the apartment or house.  Having stuff is like having an anchor; stuff soon owns you.  Stuff makes it harder to leave for lengthier activities such as have time for two weeks in Thailand, but don't have money since you have stuff instead.
  Oh, yeah.  Get proficient in public speaking; this will stand you in good stead whatever path you take.  Learn some practical skills such as cooking from scratch, how to sew on a button and ballroom dancing.
  College is not the time for making big bucks even though some seem to do it.  It's more a time for learning and developing certain skills - whether in the classroom, student clubs or the community at large. 
  Sorry, but I always found semester abroad to be over priced and self indulgent.  You do need serious play in your life.  Going to the beach on Spring Break and getting wasted is not it.  Getting a scholarship to help build a school in Belize during term break combined with touring part of the country was better.  Christmas break was always several weeks; look for a Christmas internship in your planned field while staying home.  Your parents will age and then die all too soon.  Participate in the family rituals as corny as they may be.
  On the job volunteer for assignments that may be a little above your skill set.  This will reward you

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2014, 10:22:38 PM »
I suppose the big thing for me (that's relevant to others) would be telling my 20 year old self that my parents are still winging it at being these mythical "adults" I've read about a few times.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »
I suppose the big thing for me (that's relevant to others) would be telling my 20 year old self that my parents are still winging it at being these mythical "adults" I've read about a few times.

And that you, too, will just be making it up as you go along for many years yet so you may as well just enjoy it :-)

I've realised that I will never feel like an adult. But that's okay.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #116 on: February 10, 2014, 07:41:51 AM »

And that you, too, will just be making it up as you go along for many years yet so you may as well just enjoy it :-)

I've realised that I will never feel like an adult. But that's okay.

That'd be an interesting discussion to have in another (new) thread - do you feel like an adult and if so, at approximately what age did it happen?

Cause I felt the same as you a few years ago, but I don't anymore (I'm a few years older than you).

Interesting, but not on topic, so back to it..

:)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

jbmatth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: February 10, 2014, 01:58:46 PM »
I would have told myself that going to college would be the best decision you will make, your friends at home will not amount to anything.
-No matter how much fun it sounds, driving a racing lawn mower drunk on a sidewalk won't be fun when you get caught.
-Pay extra toward your house early, more than what you did.
-Don't buy a classic car, it won't loose value, but won't gain enough to make it worth keeping. (Which reminds me I need to sell it still.)
-Don't buy the biggest house on the block, it'll bite you if you ever decide to sell.
-Nothing good happens after midnight, unless you are one of the sober ones.
-Always use protection even after married unless you want kids sooner than you planned.
-You are capable of more than you think, you just need to suck it up and try harder.
-You'll be successful, just stick to your plan and don't be afraid to change your plan when the need arises. 

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #118 on: February 10, 2014, 04:28:10 PM »
I would have told myself that going to college would be the best decision you will make, your friends at home will not amount to anything.
-No matter how much fun it sounds, driving a racing lawn mower drunk on a sidewalk won't be fun when you get caught.
-Don't buy a classic car, it won't loose value, but won't gain enough to make it worth keeping. (Which reminds me I need to sell it still.)
-Don't buy the biggest house on the block, it'll bite you if you ever decide to sell.
-Always use protection even after married unless you want kids sooner than you planned.
-You are capable of more than you think, you just need to suck it up and try harder.
-You'll be successful, just stick to your plan and don't be afraid to change your plan when the need arises.

What classic car do you have? :)

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2014, 03:44:41 AM »
Quote from: projekt link
...Don't get addicted to things. Protip: if you ever think, "Man, I really need a beer," you are addicted...

FT(MF)W. Why do so many people not GET that?

I have to disagree, or at least clarify. About a half dozen times a year, I'll think "Man, I really need a beer" - typically after after mowing the lawn on a hot summer day, right after I shower off all the sweat. Since my beer consumption averages around 2 beers per month, I really can't believe it is any kind of addiction.

Now, if someone is using that statement on a frequent basis - sure.

The problem is that you don't 'need' a beer... it should say "Man, I really would like/love a beer".  I probably get just as much enjoyment from an ice cold glass of filtered water after/during mowing then a beer would provide!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:04:26 AM by Cinder »

jbmatth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2014, 12:27:59 PM »

I have the car in my avatar, it is a replica of a 66 Shelby Cobra 427, I couldn't bring myself to pay the extra for a 427, but it does have a 351w and at 2,400 lbs is it a joy to drive.

luigi49

• Bristles
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »

I have the car in my avatar, it is a replica of a 66 Shelby Cobra 427, I couldn't bring myself to pay the extra for a 427, but it does have a 351w and at 2,400 lbs is it a joy to drive.

Duh I should have looked at your avatar. :)   Anyway nice car!!! I am sure its fun to drive.    Talking about a cobra, I met a african american guy who has an 64 (yr not sure but close)original cobra.  The motor size for his car was a 287 original I believe.  I believe he was a pit crew for Caroll shelby.  I am not sure if you follow cobras history or you know of him.   He tours around the country to show his car.  He is a nice guy. 

Thanks for sharing your car experience here.

tracipam

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2014, 07:36:56 PM »
I wish I knew "who I was" if that makes sense. When I was young, I spent a lot of time (and money) trying to be like everyone else.  Embrace the uniqueness of you.
People with strong character shine without resorting to materialism.

Very yes! 

It took me years to figure out "who I am." 

Actually, I'm still working on it, but I moved across country several times, just to get myself away from all the people that were defining me by the way I'd always been so I could figure out what I like when I was in new situations.  I'm sure everyone doesn't need to be that extreme.  For me, it helped reveal my "core" that was independent of what I was like around other people, and that was good to know. 

Now I feel more grounded.  I know the reasons I'm doing things: the jobs I have, the houses I own, why I do what I do... and it's so freeing!  I love it. 

jbmatth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »

Duh I should have looked at your avatar. :)   Anyway nice car!!! I am sure its fun to drive.    Talking about a cobra, I met a african american guy who has an 64 (yr not sure but close)original cobra.  The motor size for his car was a 287 original I believe.  I believe he was a pit crew for Caroll shelby.  I am not sure if you follow cobras history or you know of him.   He tours around the country to show his car.  He is a nice guy. 

Thanks for sharing your car experience here.

I know who you are talking about, but am having a sr. moment (at 28, but with a 1 month old and no sleep) I've never actually met him but have seen a few of his interviews and exploits.  He has some great stories and is the real deal.  His was a 289, and very original cobra probably worth enough for either of us to retire with excess.  Sorry for the hijack to the OP, PM me if you'd like.
James

MooseOutFront

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #124 on: February 12, 2014, 07:41:11 AM »
This post from Jacob sums up the most important thing I needed to know about money at 20:

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/update-3-interesting-spreadsheet-calculation.html

It's an illustration of how important starting fast is to compound interest.  Even if you chill out on savings later.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »
Advice for my 20 year old self:

Spend more time with your grandparents - they will be gone much sooner than you think

Stop spending so much money/time on clothes/appearance -- you look fine, and it doesn't matter as much as you think (but the money spent on travel was okay)

Save in a Roth IRA (I didn't know about these until I was 30-ish)

Don't bother with the master's degree in English (although it indirectly led to my current career)

Stop dating that loser

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2014, 08:34:45 AM »
Stop dating that loser

Sorry, I had to LOL at that.

frugally

• Stubble
    • Welcome to the Woods
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2014, 10:43:25 AM »

Spend more time with your grandparents - they will be gone much sooner than you think

This really rings true with me.  I'm 23, and feel really blessed to have all my grandparents living.  I'm hoping my kids are lucky enough to actually have memories of them, since they're all extremely kind people.

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2014, 07:08:04 PM »
To stick with holdem poker and not other games... probably would be 30k richer :)

Either than that I don't regret much if anything at all, I'm 35 now.  As much as I didn't want a "typical" lifestyle then... house, wife, kids, car, house in the burbs... lol.  It all turn out like that!  Ha!  I never wanted to work past 45 and I'm still on track (or earlier) for that.

CJMcF

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »
Don't take life too seriously - remember to smile and to be nice to people - collect friends - be grateful and humble

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
I haven't "learned" this yet but one of my grandfathers favorite sayings is "be kind to your knees and back. You will miss them when they are gone"

Reue

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2014, 07:55:54 AM »
I haven't "learned" this yet but one of my grandfathers favorite sayings is "be kind to your knees and back. You will miss them when they are gone"

Did he also say to wear sunscreen? :D

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: February 14, 2014, 11:45:57 AM »

Did he also say to wear sunscreen? :D
No on the sunscreen. I know what you are getting at lol. He was a butcher his whole life and the years of standing on concrete and hauling quarters of beef around really took its toll. Still learn something every time I get to sit down and have a conversation with him though.

TheRedHead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • There's a whole lotta (fill in the blank) going on here.
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »
The amount of money and time I spent on acquiring STUFF - how I wish I had known then what I know now. Stuff does not make you happy or your life better. Took me 40+ years to realize that it's not things that are the most important but memories, people, family, adventures.

jrhampt

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2014, 05:13:50 PM »
The amount of money and time I spent on acquiring STUFF - how I wish I had known then what I know now. Stuff does not make you happy or your life better. Took me 40+ years to realize that it's not things that are the most important but memories, people, family, adventures.

mm, yes:

"The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers..."

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »

This really rings true with me.  I'm 23, and feel really blessed to have all my grandparents living.  I'm hoping my kids are lucky enough to actually have memories of them, since they're all extremely kind people.

Yes!!! This one is huge. I lost my first one at 24. Now, at 35, I have two in very bad health. Ask them lots of questions now because often their memory is gone before they are...

Do the same with parents, even if you think it's too early. The time will go faster than you can believe.

Dumb blonde

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
When I was 20 I thought only millionaires had investments. I wish I would have known something about investing. That just investing money in a global fund is an option, that you can (and should) not only put money in a savings account. Even if it's only a little bit a month.

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
Don't Charge it if you don't have it.
You don't need as many student loans as they say you are eligible

fadedsunrise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: February 28, 2014, 12:12:12 AM »
To 20 yr old faded (only at 23 now, but 20 feels like eons ago)

1. Appreciate the feeling of your first relationship, even if it is long distance across an ocean and you never got in a visit edgewise. It could be much worse, your first could have been abusive, and he wasn't. The love was real, and he'll definitely be gone long before you think.

2. For god sakes, read practical personal finance and just DO IT! For all that you're a junior in business school, personal finance should be easier to pick up for you. Invest in a mutual fund even just 3k of your tutoring money.

3. Don't buy lunch out everyday. The school DOES have a microwave, and it will really help your student budget and desire to lose weight.

4. Don't go to law school. Yet. You will enjoy all law has to offer, but you will regret the work experience you're missing, and feel like you can't relate to your older law school peers who have worked and have some savings to decrease loans. Had you done this, maybe you'll realize grad school won't be necessary.

5. Get thee to counseling sooner-its actually pretty useful.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2014, 10:58:37 PM »
The end is far. If/when you have that first big breakup - I remember feeling like everything had ended and I would never find anyone I had that kind of connection with again. It wasn't true, but it was a long time before I realized it. If you are open to experience, the universe will yield surprising opportunities, both romantically and non-romantically, not all of which you might have anticipated ahead of time.

Life and identity are fluid. There is always something new we can learn. Accepting this with grace and curiosity is key to living a good life.

Don't compare yourself to others, only compare yourself to yourself and be the best you can be. Comparison and envy can cause a world of unnecessary hurt.

I was very good about putting money away and being responsible at 20, so I don't think I would have really changed much there. Neither would I have gone back on my decision to take a working holiday in Australia at 23 and take the opportunity to backpack all over the country. It was a magical experience that would be difficult to pull off now that I'm older and have more commitments tying me down, and probably one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Your metabolism is going to slow down, so learn healthy living habits now before you start paying the consequences.

Rudem3

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
The #1 thing I wish I knew was to pick a useful major in college and do whatever it takes to look for scholarships and grants. I did neither and am paying the price! Luckily I'm getting paid, and paying nothing myself, to go back to school for something useful. If anything, this was a blessing in disguise to help me really get serious about money management.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2014, 09:45:11 PM »
the actual words to "Louie Louie".

Tempe

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2014, 10:03:28 PM »
Get more sleep, and go to sleep at more regular times. It took me 10 years to finally stop sleep binging when I crashed from lack of sleep.
Start exercising and stop putting it off.

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2014, 07:43:32 AM »
I haven't read everything.  And this is kind of stupid...because I *knew* it then but I think it needs to be said. 

DO stuff.  Take action.

You can read about investing, you can read Your Money or Your Life and the Millionaire Next Door, you can live a moderately frugal existence and be interested in finances...BUT if you never act or take the next steps you won't get very far.  I come to this party late (early 40s) not because I didn't already know this stuff; I did.  I am here late because I didn't put my knowledge into action.  Or to be more specific, I did not act fully. Like, some how I thought knowing it and understanding it was the same as doing...and it very obviously isn't.  (For me, in hindsight, I would have told myself to take the risk of doing something, even the wrong thing, over doing nothing (beyond a savings account and 401k) because the younger you are the more time you have to correct mistakes.  Probably a self-esteem/fear of failure issue on my part!)

Similarly, 20 is a great time to experience life on the cheap.  No one expects you to have your shit together.  If you want to travel and bum around for a year or so, 20 is the time to do it.  I wanted  (well, I still do want to) thru hike the AT.  At the moment, I have a full time job, a husband (who has zero interest in doing this), a 6yo and live west of the Mississippi...which makes this goal a little unacheivable...for the moment.  I guess I'd say, imagine yourself a little older with "responsibilities" (I don't want to give the impression that these are bad...or that yours will be the same as mine.  I mean, if you do retire early then you will have more flexibility than I do!) and think about how those might impact some of your goals.  There are things you can work around life commitments (sounds a little better than responsibilities, heh.) and things that might be more inflexible.  DO the more inflexible stuff now.

thurston howell iv

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2014, 11:37:49 AM »
This thread struck a cord with me as I have some teenage nephews and niece that I have been trying to guide in a positive direction. As you would think, with teenagers, they're not terribly interested as they already know everything.

Advice I wish I would have gotten:
1. Don't waste your money (My dad did try but, his reasons weren't compelling enough so I spent and spent)
2. Sock away something in savings (I remember working for $2.00 an hour so I usually ended up spending most of it)
3. Strive to learn something new everyday (With internet at your finger tips today it's easier than ever!)
4. Don't let appearances fool you. (people who "appear" rich with new cars and fancy clothes are usually poor) The quote I like is from the infamous R. Kiyosaki from RDPD books. He calls it "looking good and going nowhere".
5. Don't waste time... You will be older every year. Lots of things that you think you can put off till later in life will creep up on you faster than you think. (I pissed around when I was younger. I had to learn the hard way that an education might open a few more doors for me. I started college at 18. I finished my B.S. at 27 (IIRC?).  If I would have known what I know now...
6. Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't know, you don't know. ASK. (Some people will tell you "google it" and that's fine but, sometimes you just need to ask the seemingly stupid questions and move on.
7. Do not despair, tomorrow is another day- a new opportunity.

Advice that I can impart:
1. learn to drive a stick shift (majority of young people can't drive them- probably less likely to get carjacked if the perp can't drive a manual)
2. learn the basics (how to do stuff like cook, laundry, how to properly clean,  work on your own car, fix things in general - paying people to do stuff for you gets expensive)
3. No children, yet (until you can properly take care of yourself, you cannot properly take care of a child)
4. If you go to college, focus and do what you need to do. Don't waste time and money skipping and getting crap grades.
5. If you can't focus on college, don't flounder. Go somewhere, do something (for me it was Army)
6. Get out of your comfort zone. If it's easy, you get complacent and dig your own rut.
7.  Move out of the area. Get away from your idiot friends that drag you down and go start a new adventure.
8. Work ethic- get it.
9. Your handshake= your word= your "credit"
10. Don't avoid something because you're afraid to fail (like a friend once told me- "If you're going to fail, fail gloriously!")
11. Life is short. Time really does fly. Spend time with the old folks- they will be gone soon enough
12. Chat with old folks, ask them questions. They're usually happy to chat and are often fountains of great information
13. Learn to spell (text spelling is NOT spelling- nothing irks me more than terrible spelling)
14. Take care of yourself. (exercise, diet, dental, vision, etc.) I used to be invincible too- now, not so much.
15. Take heed. I think it was Edison that said "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

I think that's enough for now. 

dsiee

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: March 13, 2014, 03:20:31 PM »
I just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who posted. As someone getting started in FIRE and life in general (I'm 19), I can see that the advice here is sound and will be of great use.

Thankyou!

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2014, 03:27:54 PM »
I just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who posted. As someone getting started in FIRE and life in general (I'm 19), I can see that the advice here is sound and will be of great use.

Thankyou!

Honestly: If you're starting a FIRE path at 19 -- you're so far ahead of most of us that you don't need a lot of advice.  I think I mildly started in my early 30s and aimed at a FIRE with a relatively high spending rate. 

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 13, 2014, 06:14:03 PM »
Given how my marriage has been lately -

That girl you are dating. Keep her. You'll be happier. Don't be afraid just because it is your first serious relationship.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #148 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:12 PM »
I'm 22.

Buy bitcoin.

innerscorecard

• Pencil Stache
    • Inner Scorecard - Where financial independence, value investing and life meet
« Reply #149 on: March 13, 2014, 09:28:04 PM »
Don't go to law school.