Author Topic: These people need a face punch  (Read 10141 times)

coppertop

• Bristles
These people need a face punch
« on: September 28, 2015, 08:46:05 AM »
From the newest issue of Money Magazine:

http://time.com/money/4037391/soccer-bills-college-family-budget/?xid=homepage

I think "Money's" advice to them stinks.

Tetsuya Hondo

• Pencil Stache
Re: These people need a face punch
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 09:06:36 AM »
Meanwhile, the world's greatest soccer (sorry, futbol!) player of 2025 is barefoot kicking a worn ball around a dirt field in some developing nation.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 09:59:39 AM »
These people need a face punch.
Ya, for these kid names.
 Rhys, Kye, Taine, and Bryn.

:-)

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:02:07 AM »
These people need a face punch.
Ya, for these kid names.
 Rhys, Kye, Taine, and Bryn.

:-)

LOL!  I have pretty much given up on rolling my eyeballs at the names people are giving their kids these days. 

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 10:04:43 AM »
(Living vicariously through your kids) + (Hopes for stardom) > (Education) = Brokedom.  Therefore no sympathy.

calimom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 10:13:06 AM »
Those are some Jones most of us wouldn't want to "keep up" with.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »
They are saving $200 per month for college
One target: the $2,400 a year that goes to eating out at Taco Bell.

We all know math here, right?
'Nuf said.

Bolshevik Artizan

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 11:19:19 AM »
weellll, yup they are in the sh1tter as they say in the UK. But the cost of kids soccer programs, here in Canada at least, is criminal. It really ought to be regulated. And all run by so-called "Charitable" outfits.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 11:28:53 AM »
Kids' sports are a huge business.  But they couldn't charge the outrageous fees if parents wouldn't pay them. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 11:42:24 AM »
I had to stop reading at “They get to mix with quality kids". This is not the kind of people I care about.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 11:44:48 AM »
I had to stop reading at “They get to mix with quality kids". This is not the kind of people I care about.

So, are you saying there are certain types of people you don't want to mix with?

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
Do they not have local soccer anymore? Is that not a thing? I played for many years growing up, and I think at worst we had to travel one county over (in Maryland, so 20 minutes).

They're driving from San Francisco to San Diego????

How is there no competition even remotely closer? This is obscene.

coppertop

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 11:51:52 AM »

I saw that too ... and wondered if they thought all kids who play soccer competitively are "quality" kids.  My thinking is that these parents have huge egos that are fed by their kids' success on the playing field.  I have to wonder what they'd have done if they'd had four kids with two left feet and fumblethumbs. 

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »
Also: "The family also tries to be frugal. Siobhan polishes her own nails". Sounds like a hard life...

Argyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:53:25 AM »
They are both British, and the mother is Welsh — Bryn and Rhys are both standard Welsh names, and Kye is an Irish name.  The mother being named Siobhan sounds as if there's Irish heritage coming in there.  Rhys Ifans (who played Hugh Grant's roommate in "Notting Hill"), opera singer Bryn Terfel — there are various well-known Brits with these names too.  This family deserve a face punch, but it's worth knowing that these are normal British names.

FrugalFan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2015, 12:18:28 PM »
They are both British, and the mother is Welsh — Bryn and Rhys are both standard Welsh names, and Kye is an Irish name.  The mother being named Siobhan sounds as if there's Irish heritage coming in there.  Rhys Ifans (who played Hugh Grant's roommate in "Notting Hill"), opera singer Bryn Terfel — there are various well-known Brits with these names too.  This family deserve a face punch, but it's worth knowing that these are normal British names.

Yeah, I like their traditional names. I kind of feel bad for them. Although I wouldn't want to get into such expensive travel league sports with our kids, I can see that it is really important to them; more than retiring early for example. Despite that, "Money" is not giving them great advice. Surely, with the UK pensions (and maybe social security?) they would need much less than 1.75 million to retire on. And if they cut down on their travel costs, they could definitely afford to put more into the college fund. I just think US college fees are getting ridiculous and the situation is untenable.

Hank Sinatra

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2015, 12:20:16 PM »

I recognized Rhys and Bryn as real names so I didn't gig them for that. But I read maybe 3 paragraphs before getting nauseous . Face punch. Groin Kick.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2015, 01:23:13 PM »
  There are a million cheaper ways to socialize their kids. Also the likely hood of getting any return on investment from high level youth soccer is probably about as poor as winning the lottery. So the argument that you are denying them opportunities by not doing this holds little weight. They could hamper their kids far more if they are setting themselves up to be a financial burden to them in their old age.

If the kids have enough talent and drive they will get where they need to be with moral support and high school/college play.

Based on what I see around me this kind of lavish disregard for finances is the norm. And like many people they will probably be fine in the end and manage to retire comfortably. But money will always be a source of massive undue stress and they will be working until they drop...

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2015, 01:43:46 PM »
This is a classic - you can have some of what you want but not everything you want. With 4 kids and only one working parent, they really can't have "it all." If she went back to work, (after doing whatever she needs to do) they could easily afford to pay for their kid's crazy schedules.

Honestly, I was a soccer kid myself and was offered athletic scholarships for college. I think if they can and it's important to the family and a high priority then they should/could support the athletic endeavors of their kids. I hope to do the same for my kid, if she's into that sort of thing. But, we have 2 working parents and only 1 child, so it shouldn't be that difficult.

And yeah, the suggestions from Money suck.

2lazy2retire

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2015, 02:50:57 PM »
Why do people who write these articles not do a tiny bit of f@ckin research

"Steve and Siobhan are worried about affording college, which will cost about $31,000 a year at a state school by 2019 " - "That translates to at least $500,000 for the four boys"

So they live in Folsom - quick google search shows nearest state school at CSU SACRAMENTO - Tuition Fee which is currently $5,472 per academic year for undergraduate students. Tuition for state school to go from 5k to 31k in 4 years?? - thanks Obama;)

Also anyone who lists a car as an asset should be face punched
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 02:57:56 PM by 2lazy2retire »

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2015, 03:35:56 PM »

Also anyone who lists a car as an asset should be face punched

Particularly since they referenced the car as "old" being 2008.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2015, 04:10:08 PM »
Wow, these parents are letting their four children run their household.  They need to learn the word, 'no'.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2015, 07:50:11 PM »
All they need is soccer in school and maybe a local team they don't need all that other BS private club crap.

BigEasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »
 Our daughter was a really good soccer player. We kept her in local school teams. When she went to high school, she was offered to play for all these so-called traveling and superstar teams...

Because she had a real life, and had parents that were not living vicariously thru her,  she declined.

In her senior year, she was offered a NCAA full ride scholarship to play soccer for a local university.  All of this due to playing for local school teams....

She graduated with a BS degree debt  free.  She also had an academic scholarship.

I'll bet  we didn't spend $500 total for her soccer related expenses. Some of these nutty soccer moms and their $70K Suburbans toting around their little future soccer darlings are quite a trip to watch!

Big Easy

Little Nell

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2015, 08:29:18 PM »
I agree. That makes me feel sick. On the other hand, it makes me realize that my son's horse is relatively cheap.

accolay

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2015, 05:04:47 AM »
If they want to continue with soccer, so be it. I think it's crazy to spend $17,400/year but whatever. But I think they should be realistic about everything else in their budget and be honest with their kids about it such as: get rid of cable, consolidate phone plans, pare down vacation entertainment, ATM, eating out, get cheaper insurance (what kind of cars are they driving?) etc. etc. Maybe mom could think about bring home a little more bacon too.

If they want to do A they will have to give up B. As I see it they have a lot of wiggle room in their budget, but they're going to have to make some cuts. It's pathetic these people can make that much money and have so little to show for it. Saving grace might be that once the kids get into highschool they may decide that they don't enjoy high priced soccer anymore. But with these types of financial decisions, there will probably be something else high priced to fill the void.

Can't Wait

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2015, 05:15:06 AM »
I wonder if they realize that no one cares about soccer here in the ole USA.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2015, 05:22:22 AM »
Yes! Saw this article in the doctors office yesterday. $17k on soccer. Crazy! Belongs in the antimoustacian forum....

kendallf

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 07:22:28 AM »
I spent a lot of years with people like these.  I have a daughter who spent more than a decade in club gymnastics; she is now a Division 1 college scholarship athlete (that means a full ride, all expenses paid).  She's at the tiny tiptop of a pyramid of athletes who did not and will not make it that far. 

The vast majority are just not talented enough.  Sometimes they're talented but not durable (yes, there's a good possibility of injury, of course).  Sometimes they hit puberty and decide they're going to throw it all away and get a boyfriend/girlfriend. 

Spending your own financial future on this long shot is stupid, and it doesn't have to be that way.  Even with an expensive sport, there are "Mustachian" workarounds, and we used them all.  For instance, we cleaned the gym where our daughter trained in exchange for her coaching fees.  Almost every sport has some trade out opportunity like this; coaching, officiating, whatever.  We sometimes sent her to meets with her coach and we didn't go.  Sometimes we got up at 4 AM and drove 4 or 5 hours to make a meet while she slept in the car. 

All of those things increased her odds of success, I think.  When the whole family is mopping gym mats on Sunday night for you, that's real and fosters commitment.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2015, 09:50:56 AM »
My next door neighbor has two kids in league soccer.  I have never talked to them about the cost but I do know they spend a lot of time on the road, driving to games and practices.

But life is all about priorities, if someone's priorities are different than yours it is not necessarily bad.  What is bad is when they expect you to help pay for their priorities either directly or indirectly.

If someone chooses to spend all their money now and not save for later, that is their choice.  I am not that brave myself.

RangerOne

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2015, 11:30:20 AM »
Poor investments in children is a lot better than no investment at all. These are clearly good parents that care about their children's future. Thats great.

They just have no business complaining about money if they haven't figured out they can't afford their chosen extracurricular activities. For that they deserve a face punch with reality.

They need to smile and accept that their choice to focus on league ball for their kids means sacrificing things now and down the road. These are first world money problems that are nothing to lose sleep over.

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2015, 12:01:16 PM »
We pay $160 a year for our two older boys to play soccer with the school district. It works for us, though the biggest problem in my mind is not the money but the time suck. For this reason, we only allow them one sport a year. They chose soccer over baseball.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
I agree. That makes me feel sick. On the other hand, it makes me realize that my son's horse is relatively cheap.

The "soccer mom" stereotype was sadly not invented out of thin air.  The whole privileged, suburban, white, only-hang-with-other-soccer-moms, drive a big SUV, tie a sweater around your shoulders, be a snob, grab a Starbucks, busybody does exist out there.  Personally, I find it the most boring existence a person could ever chose.  Attitude passing for personality.  (Don't get me wrong, their dorky, Sears-catalog-clothes-wearing, golfing husbands are just as dull.)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2015, 12:39:52 PM »

The "soccer mom" stereotype was sadly not invented out of thin air.  The whole privileged, suburban, white, only-hang-with-other-soccer-moms, drive a big SUV, tie a sweater around your shoulders, be a snob, grab a Starbucks, busybody does exist out there.  Personally, I find it the most boring existence a person could ever chose.  Attitude passing for personality.  (Don't get me wrong, their dorky, Sears-catalog-clothes-wearing, golfing husbands are just as dull.)

You reminded me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SADPuUYF_4I

tooqk4u22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2015, 12:41:25 PM »

It is quite possible that you all are being a bit to sensitive/PC about the "quality kids" comment, as it is more likely that they said it in reference to quality of the players and skill level - not the attributes, background or character of the people.

I spend a lot of time and money on my kids to play competite sports and I assure you there usually is (not always) a big difference between school/community level and travel/select level - the time and money alone simply require/ensure a higher level of commitment from everyone. 

I have no fantasies about scholarships or professional careers for them, but if they have the desire, skill and motivation then I would much rather them focus on becoming the best they can be at the highest level possible at any given time. That will serve them well as the grow and become adults.

However, I am not in the financial situation that they are in and if I was my kids would likely not be able to play at those levels, but I can afford it even if it does delay FIRE by a little bit that's ok too. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!