Author Topic: The mustachian skiing (and other non motorized winter sports) thread.  (Read 19100 times)

Prairie Moustache

• Stubble
Re: The mustachian skiing (and other non motorized winter sports) thread.
« Reply #150 on: March 22, 2019, 10:54:15 AM »
I had a XC trip planned for this weekend up to a nice boreal forest area, but the snow disappeared here so quickly over a week that it probably won't be feasible anymore. :(

Recently returned from a trip to Marmot Basin in Jasper, AB and took advantage of their ski for free on your birthday deal.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #151 on: March 22, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »
DH has gotten a familiar ski injury. He got it from skiing too much with his normal XC ski shoes. His foot now hurts when he walks on it. We are a bit worried about his ability to go skiing in the Easter week, which is our longest week off in skking season. The last trips, he skied of his skating shoes, which are more stiff. But this weekend he is not skiing at all, to heal preventively.

Tomorrow I will go alone, just in the local forest. I will go one of these these routes that DH usually doesn't like to do. It is above zero, so I'll use my zero ski. Looking forewards to do that trail for the first time this winter. i will do it no matter whether it is freshly prepared or not. Probably not...

I wasn't motivated to do that. Instead, I went for a walk in the forest. Someone, more than 1 person, had walked there before me, so there was a solid path. Nuce to be out there again. I tried out my new spike soles.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 10:17:11 AM by Linea_Norway »

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: August 26, 2020, 12:01:10 PM »
Hopefully this isn't too much of a necro? I'm planning to move to Steamboat Springs CO this year and finally get my own gear after renting while learning for the last two winters! I really don't know how to start picking things up. Should I just wait til I get there and shop secondhand?

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #153 on: August 26, 2020, 12:16:23 PM »
Hopefully this isn't too much of a necro? I'm planning to move to Steamboat Springs CO this year and finally get my own gear after renting while learning for the last two winters! I really don't know how to start picking things up. Should I just wait til I get there and shop secondhand?

Don't buy anything until you actually move.

Spend some $ on good boots that are custom fitted to your feet. There will be at least a couple of shops in town that do this. Secondhand boots are cheap as dirt/free but if your feet aren't happy, you won't have any fun.

Good skis are basically free in any ski town. Stop by any local thrift store (or, during the ski season, dumpster). This assumes you vaguely know what kind of ski you want/need.

In Steamboat, your biggest issue is clothing, really. It gets VERY cold, much colder than most other ski towns (which is why I don't live there!) so you'll want to spend some money on really good ski clothes that fit right and will let you actually have fun when you have to sit on the lift and it's -20C.

Also, register your car in CO right away. If Steamboat is anything like here (Park City) people are REAL sick of out of towners moving in right now.

-W
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 12:19:31 PM by waltworks »

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: August 26, 2020, 12:25:21 PM »
Spend some $ on good boots that are custom fitted to your feet. There will be at least a couple of shops in town that do this. Secondhand boots are cheap as dirt/free but if your feet aren't happy, you won't have any fun.

I'll second this. When it comes to ski boots, don't skim on these and find the ones that are the most comfortable regardless of price.

I'd also suggest getting good goggles.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #155 on: August 26, 2020, 12:25:55 PM »

Don't buy anything until you actually move.

Good skis are basically free in any ski town. Stop by any local thrift store (or, during the ski season, dumpster). This assumes you vaguely know what kind of ski you want/need.

In Steamboat, your biggest issue is clothing, really. It gets VERY cold, much colder than most other ski towns (which is why I don't live there!) so you'll want to spend some money on really good ski clothes that fit right and will let you actually have fun when you have to sit on the lift and it's -20C.

Also, get a block heater for your car!

-W

Thanks Walt! This was what I needed to hear to stop myself from shopping labor day gear sales.

I guess I was spoiled on my original trip to Steamboat in February... It was beautiful at the base and too warm to keep my coat zipped at the top of the mountain. I see now that their average lows are near zero F.

Will definitely have to do some research on the cold weather car maintenance. I have some friends who already live there so I'll ask what they do, too. I would think externally powered tools might be tricky living in a condo. I've never lived somewhere so cold. Guess I might have to finally upgrade from my LL Bean youth boys' bib, too... Lol
« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 08:25:36 AM by anni »

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: August 26, 2020, 12:30:20 PM »
Thanks Walt! This was what I needed to hear to stop myself from shopping labor day gear sales.

Is Ski Chalet having their Dilly in Chantilly sale this year? Two decades ago, that's where I picked up my ski boots (that I  still use). It took two days of trying on boots to find the right ones.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: August 26, 2020, 12:35:31 PM »

Is Ski Chalet having their Dilly in Chantilly sale this year? Two decades ago, that's where I picked up my ski boots (that I  still use). It took two days of trying on boots to find the right ones.

Hmm, looks like it might be called Sun & Ski now? It's a bit out of the way but if I'm over there I'll check it out, thanks!

Also, register your car in CO right away. If Steamboat is anything like here (Park City) people are REAL sick of out of towners moving in right now.

Oof... Understandable, though. I'd be mad too.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #158 on: August 26, 2020, 01:05:30 PM »
You're young enough that it's probably ok. Here we suddenly have an extra 800 kids in the school system (that only has about 5000 to begin with) all of a sudden and people with NY and CA license plates cursing and honking at us because we're in the way of their Jaguars on our bikes.

If you're not a jerk and/or Jaguar/Porsche Cayenne/BMW driver, you'll be fine. Northern VA is high on the list of places people despise in ski towns right now, though.

Steamboat has great nordic skiing too at Howelson/base of Emerald and out at the golf course, check that out, especially on cold days (it's easy to stay warm!)

Springtime sucks (even moreso than most ski towns, Steamboat has a long mud season and is super isolated), make friends with someone who has a place in Moab or else you'll be bored out of your skull for 2 months.

-W

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #159 on: August 26, 2020, 05:06:25 PM »

Wait till after the ski season is over. Get gears at big discounts.

Jack0Life

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #160 on: August 26, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »
We have an early ski trip this winter. Dec 18th to Keystone.
Mostly free. Southwest pts and 4 nights in the Keystone Hyatt Place, also on pts.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #161 on: August 26, 2020, 05:16:28 PM »
@anni one thing I learned on my journey to buy ski stuff for the first time a few years ago is that not all used skis will work with the boots I have. Not just bindings-wise (That is super important) but also...if skis are really old, and/or bindings have been moved around a lot on them (so they have lots of holes) sometimes they aren't able to drill holes in the right spots for your specific size boots to fit. I had a close call with some skis I purchased that they were just barely able to make work. I would definitely shop for the perfect boots first, make sure you love those, and then try to find some used skis from someone with a really similar boot size if you can.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: August 27, 2020, 10:40:34 AM »
@anni one thing I learned on my journey to buy ski stuff for the first time a few years ago is that not all used skis will work with the boots I have. Not just bindings-wise (That is super important) but also...if skis are really old, and/or bindings have been moved around a lot on them (so they have lots of holes) sometimes they aren't able to drill holes in the right spots for your specific size boots to fit. I had a close call with some skis I purchased that they were just barely able to make work. I would definitely shop for the perfect boots first, make sure you love those, and then try to find some used skis from someone with a really similar boot size if you can.

Never would have thought of this, having only used rentals before. Thanks! I think I might just get to the mountain first, rent + borrow for a couple of days to make sure I really want to ski bum as much as I think I do. Then start with boots.

TrMama

« Reply #163 on: August 27, 2020, 12:01:19 PM »
This sounds like the most fun plan ever. Trying not to be jealous.

Ditto the advice to get new boots that are very comfy for you. One of the big reasons used/rental boots are so uncomfortable is because the foam in them compresses with use. After enough days of being strapped to someone's feet that foam doesn't fully rebound and starts to feel like concrete. If you become a long term ski bum, budget for new boots every few years.

As for cold weather, your car really only needs winter tires, cold weather windshield cleaner and possibly a block heater. -20C isn't quite cold enough to make a block heater a necessity, but it will make it happier to start and should extend the life of your battery. If it drops to -30 or below for more than a few days per year, get the block heater. I also always carry a blanket or sleeping bag, some granola bars and a shovel in the trunk.

Skiing on the coldest days can be the best because more people will stay home so the lift lines will disappear :-) Key items are good wool socks (I like ski socks with the thicker shins), heavy mitts (not gloves) plus separate liners and a really nice ski mask. A flimsy buff doesn't cut it, get something more like this https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5061-017/Combo-Clava-Balaclava. A balaclava with breathing holes will keep it from getting wet and making your nose, mouth and chin really cold.

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #164 on: August 27, 2020, 02:49:59 PM »
Lol @TrMama I was just joking with my roommate that I couldn't remember ever seeing someone but a movie bank robber in a real ski mask... turns out they are more practical than expected I guess! Thanks for the car tips. I'll get her tuned up before I drive out and pick up the rest there.

Also @waltworks that stinks about the newcomers... I don't know how fast I can get my plates changed, but at least I'll be cruising into town in my '09 Civic with my bike in the back... honking horns are one of the myriad reasons I'm skipping town :)

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: August 27, 2020, 03:12:33 PM »

I like necro posts so no necro is too old!  And I'm jealous as hell of you getting to move to Steamboat.  Dang.  I really gotta get out of Virginia. 

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2020, 07:30:44 PM »

I like necro posts so no necro is too old!  And I'm jealous as hell of you getting to move to Steamboat.  Dang.  I really gotta get out of Virginia.

Definitely feeling lucky! I'm only leasing through June, but fingers crossed that remote work catches on and I can stick around for a second winter.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2020, 10:13:04 PM »
Having an actual decent job and going skiing is not technically "ski-bumming", for what it's worth.

You have to have a job that sucks. Bumping chairs, scooping ice cream for tourists, pumping gas, etc. Patrolling is allowed, but you're quite a ways out from being able to do that, and they mostly recruit from Baskin-Robbins anyway.

Faker! :P

-W

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2020, 10:21:38 PM »
Having an actual decent job and going skiing is not technically "ski-bumming", for what it's worth.

You have to have a job that sucks. Bumping chairs, scooping ice cream for tourists, pumping gas, etc. Patrolling is allowed, but you're quite a ways out from being able to do that, and they mostly recruit from Baskin-Robbins anyway.

Faker! :P

-W

Oh, who knows, I might skip out on the FI dream and go back to my hospitality roots... it would free up mornings, anyway. ;)

cookielover

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #169 on: August 30, 2020, 10:56:13 PM »
Who knows what the ski season this year will look like. 

Last season we did not ski much as it cut short due to COVID-19.    As a last year ski season pass holder we are getting $100 discount toward this year pass.  But we may not want to go ski this year if COVID is not under control by the ski season.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #170 on: August 31, 2020, 07:30:26 AM »
Meh, they're loading 2 people at a time on quads unless you're related/already together. And it's outside, and everyone will be masked (which is basically normal when skiing anyway).

Bring a sack lunch, apres at your own place, and enjoy much less crowded terrain (at least in places that usually draw a lot of overseas tourists).

Your risk in the scenario that Vail is implementing is IMO about zero unless you deliberately endanger yourself.

-W

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #171 on: August 31, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »
Who knows what the ski season this year will look like. 

Last season we did not ski much as it cut short due to COVID-19.    As a last year ski season pass holder we are getting $100 discount toward this year pass.  But we may not want to go ski this year if COVID is not under control by the ski season.

It sounds like you have the IKON pass like I do.

Unfortunately, I had already purchased the 20/21 pass in early March before the COVID closures. I only got to ski one week with my 19/20 ski pass, so I was ski-bummed. IKON did not give any discounts on the 19/20 passes even though most of the season was cancelled. So for 20/21 they are offering a free deferral to 21/22.

I have a mustachian idea to take advantage of the generous deferral offer IKON has on the 20/21 pass. Now, I know with the 21/22 season pass at times and in some locations you can ski in spring 2021. So, I am thinking of taking the deferral and then using it for two ski seasons! 2021 (spring and then later winter) and 2022 winter and spring.

I was trying to find on their website where and when I could spring ski in the previous year's late spring season with the 21/22 ski pass but can't seem to find the information. Does anyone know this information?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 01:35:13 PM by Daisy »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: August 31, 2020, 01:21:32 PM »
I am thinking of finally learning how to cross country ski for the 20/21 season. I have never tried it, and being from Florida I always end up downhill skiing when I have a chance to go to the mountains in the winter.

Cross country skiing seems more social-distance friendly and less likely to be banned with the virus rules.

And I'm worried the downhill ski resorts will not open fully for the 20/21 ski season...hence my attempt to hack the IKON pass rules in my previous post.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #173 on: August 31, 2020, 01:30:36 PM »
I found some info on the spring access. Hopefully it will be the same for 2021.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200227005646/en/Ikon-Pass-Unlocks-Winter-2021-March-5

Spring Access
New 20/21 Ikon Pass and Ikon Base Pass holders will have immediate access to unlimited spring skiing at Big Bear Mountain Resort, Crystal Mountain, Snowshoe, Stratton and Blue Mountain, valid day of purchase. Starting April 13, 2020, new pass holders will have unlimited spring access at Mammoth Mountain, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Solitude Mountain Resort, Sugarbush Resort, and Winter Park.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
I am thinking of finally learning how to cross country ski for the 20/21 season. I have never tried it, and being from Florida I always end up downhill skiing when I have a chance to go to the mountains in the winter.

Cross country skiing seems more social-distance friendly and less likely to be banned with the virus rules.

And I'm worried the downhill ski resorts will not open fully for the 20/21 ski season...hence my attempt to hack the IKON pass rules in my previous post.

It should indeed be social distance friendly. But it is also a very different activity/sport. If you ski at leasure pace, it is like walking/hiking through the snow in a besutiful winterland, something you couldn't have done on you shoes with a lot of snow. If you want more sports, you just go faster and it becomes a nice way to excercise in the same landscape, covering more distance.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: September 05, 2020, 09:57:50 AM »
It started feeling like fall virtually overnight here in the mountains. Fall is my favorite season but I get so excited thinking that snow will be here soon and I can ski again! The local Vail resort has announced their opening plans and we'll see how it goes. I don't go inside the restaurants/shops anyway so I consider skiing a low-risk activity with the precautions announced for lift lines and reservations. I love to skate ski and that shouldn't be affected by the pandemic. It was a real solace last March/April to still be able to Nordic ski after the resorts closed down.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #176 on: September 10, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
It started feeling like fall virtually overnight here in the mountains. Fall is my favorite season but I get so excited thinking that snow will be here soon and I can ski again! The local Vail resort has announced their opening plans and we'll see how it goes. I don't go inside the restaurants/shops anyway so I consider skiing a low-risk activity with the precautions announced for lift lines and reservations. I love to skate ski and that shouldn't be affected by the pandemic. It was a real solace last March/April to still be able to Nordic ski after the resorts closed down.

You are right. It is a low risk activity. Not living close to the mountains, I just can't take the risk to maintain my ski pass for 20/21. Living by the mountains like you do makes it easier to keep a ski pass and be able to ski on many days. I can't risk making travel plans and then having to go through all of the cancellations.

I will be content in 20/21 to continue enjoying Florida during winter. It is actually our best weather season!

I hope to try out cross country skiing too. Now I need to research good frugal places to cross country ski. I will probably stay on the east coast.

I hope you are doing well @Dr Kidstache .

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #177 on: September 10, 2020, 01:57:08 PM »
I live 2 hours and 15 minutes from Breckenridge, CO. I am going to buy the EPIC local pass for $729. When I drive by myself, it costs me about $15-$20 in gas round trip (depending on the price of gas). I will probably go 30 times. I will ride with a friend 5-10 times. I will probably spend $400 in gas during the entire season. This habit is $200/month for 6 months or $1200/year.

My summer habit is golf which is about the same price. I buy a season pass for $550 and then each round is $15. If I play 30 rounds, it should cost me around $1,000 and 40 rounds is around $1,200.

I plan to spend $2400/year on 30 days of snowboarding and 40 rounds of golf. It's not cheap, but I think it's reasonable.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2020, 02:09:25 PM »
Driving on I70 is not worth it even if the pass was free.

-W

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2020, 02:47:00 PM »
Going to order my Ikon pass as soon as my new early-spend-bonus credit card gets in. Ikon is going to let me select the resort I'll now be living at as my home base, so if it closes early at least I'll get prorated credit toward next year. I think it'll pay for itself even if I only get to ski at the resort for a month. Feeling super lucky in any case.

Next order of business is tires... I just had to get new all-weathers put on, which is a bit of a bummer to my wallet since I'll be driving them to Colorado just in time to swap them out for snow tires. Will have to store them under my bed or something until summer... They do have 3PMSF on them and there are some convincing snow reviews out there, but I'm worried still.

My roommate has a 4WD SUV with snow tires we can take for any trips into the mountains. I'm wondering if just some chains in the trunk will suffice since I'll be staying within the same 5-mile radius all winter?

If not, tips on sourcing affordable/temporary snow tires would be super helpful.

Also, I hope everyone is safe during this apocalypse now thing going on.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #180 on: September 10, 2020, 03:01:07 PM »
Steamboat bus system is pretty decent for what it is. If you're going to be in town/at the resort/going to the grocery store, you probably don't need to drive at all. If you're near the CORE trail, it's groomed in winter, too. Grab a fatbike or some snowshoes or some skate skis and you can commute lots of places that way.

Honestly, the biggest issue in resort towns isn't going to be *your* tires or car, it's the other people. I don't drive on bad days no matter how confident I am in my own car, because people slide around like morons all over who just flew in from TX.

-W

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #181 on: September 10, 2020, 03:11:59 PM »
Meh, they're loading 2 people at a time on quads unless you're related/already together. And it's outside, and everyone will be masked (which is basically normal when skiing anyway).

Bring a sack lunch, apres at your own place, and enjoy much less crowded terrain (at least in places that usually draw a lot of overseas tourists).

Your risk in the scenario that Vail is implementing is IMO about zero unless you deliberately endanger yourself.

-W

I'm starting to feel more confidently about it myself. Though in our case it often involves a hotel/condo as well which is another non zero additional risk.

SKI PA just announced today they are not doing their "4th and 5th graders ski free" program because of Covid. What the price of the kids ticket has to do with covid I don't quite understand. But in my families case it would require us to buy 4 season passes instead of 3.

With all the unknowns of this season we have decided not to get season passes this year. We still hope to get 5-10 ski days in but probably not 10+ where the pass really makes you money. So may as well pay as we go this year and open up the option to explore different resorts.

Jealous of all you folks out West in the real mountains. Our winters have been really mild lately and the hills are small!!!

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #182 on: September 10, 2020, 03:17:24 PM »
Steamboat bus system is pretty decent for what it is. If you're going to be in town/at the resort/going to the grocery store, you probably don't need to drive at all. If you're near the CORE trail, it's groomed in winter, too. Grab a fatbike or some snowshoes or some skate skis and you can commute lots of places that way.

Honestly, the biggest issue in resort towns isn't going to be *your* tires or car, it's the other people. I don't drive on bad days no matter how confident I am in my own car, because people slide around like morons all over who just flew in from TX.

-W

Thanks, I was starting to think the same thing. I saw that trail, it looks niiiiice. I have a decently beefy bike I'm bringing with me but lugging skis+boots is more of the issue there. Maybe I can find some storage solutions near the mountain. Hopefully the bus runs like usual, but it'll still add about 30 minutes to the journey (over driving). Since I'm not truly ski bumming it I prioritized price over proximity haha.

We are going to get snowplowed in anyways so I had planned to keep driving to a minimum somewhat against my will... I guess I'll get there first and see how it goes.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #183 on: September 10, 2020, 03:20:55 PM »
Are you in Steamboat 2, or Hayden, or something? There's nothing 30 minutes away from anything in Steamboat unless you're walking.

-W

anni

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2020, 03:47:32 PM »
Are you in Steamboat 2, or Hayden, or something? There's nothing 30 minutes away from anything in Steamboat unless you're walking.

-W

I meant - Maps says 45 minutes by bus from my house to the resort. 10 minutes driving. 20 minutes biking.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2020, 04:36:17 PM »
My guess is that once you're in town you can figure out an easy way to use the bus system. The automated trip planner things are usually garbage, especially for multi-mode (ie drive or ride or walk a few minutes to the right bus line). Then again, you might just be in a bad spot for the bus, in which case, you'll know better next year when your lease is up. First year in any town you always figure out a lot about where you really want to be and what amenities you really use.

-W

Arbitrage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #186 on: September 10, 2020, 04:42:22 PM »
Driving on I70 is not worth it even if the pass was free.

-W

Looks like he's from Pueblo, so not taking I-70.  Of course, his estimate is subject to the typical (of Americans, not mustachians who usually know better) error of estimating the cost of driving to be gas only. 

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2020, 06:33:34 PM »
285 ain't much better these days. And good god, I would not commute from Pueblo to Breck to go ski... jeesus.

-W

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2020, 10:07:05 PM »
285 ain't much better these days. And good god, I would not commute from Pueblo to Breck to go ski... jeesus.

-W

This! Why not Monarch? Yeah, it doesn’t have the hour long lift lines, but it’s still pretty fun skiing!

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2020, 10:15:17 PM »

Next order of business is tires... I just had to get new all-weathers put on, which is a bit of a bummer to my wallet since I'll be driving them to Colorado just in time to swap them out for snow tires. Will have to store them under my bed or something until summer... They do have 3PMSF on them and there are some convincing snow reviews out there, but I'm worried still.

My roommate has a 4WD SUV with snow tires we can take for any trips into the mountains. I'm wondering if just some chains in the trunk will suffice since I'll be staying within the same 5-mile radius all winter?

If not, tips on sourcing affordable/temporary snow tires would be super helpful.

Also, I hope everyone is safe during this apocalypse now thing going on.

FWIW re: snow tires, I lived in a mountain town for 3 years in CO with just regular AT tires, and AWD (Although, my town definitely got less snow than Steamboat) It really was fine, partially because I rode my bike/walked a lot, but also because I just took it slow, and really only drove in the Winter to get groceries, or to friends houses, and I was in no hurry. If you drive the speed that the conditions dictate, you will generally be fine. Of course you can’t control the other people around you, though!

I did end up getting legitimate snow tires when I started skiing because I would drive up to the pass at 5am to skin, and the plows wouldn’t have driven through yet so it was dicey driving sometimes. . I also started driving an hour to another town to ski a different mountain, and really appreciated the confidence on the highway after/in a storm. I think my set was like $450 installed, which I thought was a pretty good deal for the difference they made in traction and confidence.

Dr Kidstache

• Bristles
« Reply #190 on: September 11, 2020, 10:06:31 PM »

-W

This! Why not Monarch? Yeah, it doesn’t have the hour long lift lines, but it’s still pretty fun skiing!

This! Why not Wolf Creek? (I'm just piling on at this point)

jeninco

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2020, 05:30:24 PM »

-W

To be fair, both areas are awesome-sauce when they have fresh snow, and can be icy, ass-chappingly cold, and full of ... shall we say, "not the strongest skiers from neighboring states".  I've skied at Wolf Creek (in powder, off the ridge, duh) when the snow was so cold that my kid's skiis didn't really slide on it, and I had to tow him to the base.

Mirkwood ("Smirkwood", when the snow's great) can be FANTASTIC if you don't mind a bit of walking.

mountain mustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #192 on: September 14, 2020, 06:37:11 PM »

-W

To be fair, both areas are awesome-sauce when they have fresh snow, and can be icy, ass-chappingly cold, and full of ... shall we say, "not the strongest skiers from neighboring states".  I've skied at Wolf Creek (in powder, off the ridge, duh) when the snow was so cold that my kid's skiis didn't really slide on it, and I had to tow him to the base.

Mirkwood ("Smirkwood", when the snow's great) can be FANTASTIC if you don't mind a bit of walking.

Yes, Monarch can be SO cold and windy some days, although I think the weather is pretty great most days. I have skinned up at Monarch in -10 with a windchill of god knows what at 5am, and I remember taking my skins off at the top, starting to go downhill and then being like...wait, did I take my skins off? I'm not moving! Haha.

Interestingly I have experienced the worst skiers (and also the most rude/inconsiderate skiers) at the big resorts like Breckenridge vs. the little places. I think it's just the sheer volume, you are bound to have some narrow misses with people who just aren't paying attention. Monarch is 1/2 empty most of the time, so it's easier to avoid people (IMO).