Author Topic: The ChatGPT AI considers the future of work and FIRE  (Read 5934 times)

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
The ChatGPT AI considers the future of work and FIRE
« on: January 20, 2023, 10:31:25 AM »
AI advancements are making headlines and I though it would be fun to ask the latest & greatest its thoughts on how AI advances will affect work and FIRE:

How might advanced Als with capabilities such as ChatGPT transform work in wealthy countries as we know it today?

Advanced Als like ChatGPT have the potential to greatly transform the way work is done in wealthy countries. They can automate many tasks that are currently performed by humans, leading to increased efficiency and productivity. This can lead to the displacement of certain jobs, but also the creation of new, more complex and higher-skilled jobs in fields such as Al development and management. Additionally, Als can also assist workers in tasks such as data analysis, decision making, and communication, allowing them to focus on more creative and higher- level tasks. However, it is important to also consider the ethical implications of widespread Al adoption in the workplace, such as job displacement and the need for retraining and re-education programs.

Which jobs specifically are most likely to be eliminated and how might this affect people currently working in those jobs?

Jobs that are most likely to be eliminated by the widespread adoption of advanced Als like ChatGPT are those that involve repetitive tasks, simple data analysis, and basic decision making. These types of jobs are often referred to as "routine" jobs. Examples of jobs that fall into this category include:
•Data entry and data processing jobs
•Telemarketing and customer service jobs
  Manufacturing jobs, particularly those involving assembly line work
• Transportation jobs, such as truck and taxi drivers
Retail jobs, such as cashiers and stock clerks
The elimination of these jobs can have a significant impact on the people currently working in them. They may struggle to find new employment, especially if they lack the skills and education needed for more advanced jobs. This could lead to increased unemployment, underemployment, and economic hardship for affected individuals and communities. It is important for governments, companies, and other organizations to consider these potential impacts and implement policies and programs to support those affected by a transition to a more automated workplace.

Given the composition of the US workforce now, how many workers are likely to be displaced by such Al?

It is difficult to provide an exact number of workers in the US that are likely to d be displaced by advanced Als like ChatPT, as it will depend on the rate of adoption of the technology, the specific industries and jobs that are impacted, and the effectiveness of retraining and re-education programs.
However, some estimates have been made based on research and analysis of the current composition of the US workforce.
A 2017 study by the McKinsey Global Institute estimated that as many as 800 million jobs worldwide could be displaced by automation by 2030, although this is a global figure.
A 2018 report by the Center for Global Policy Solutions estimates that up to 25% of jobs in the US could be at risk of displacement by Al and automation.
A 2020 analysis by the Brookings Institution estimated that around 36 million workers in the US, or roughly 25% of the workforce, are at high risk of having their jobs impacted by Al and automation.
It is important to note that these are estimates and the actual number of
workers impacted could be different. The actual number will also depend on
how quickly the technology develops and how quickly it is adopted across different sectors. Furthermore, it is important to note that Al will also create new jobs and opportunities.

In light of such changes to the workforce in an Al-driven world, describe the 5 most important changes a young person hoping to retire early in their lives can make to best ensure they have a chance to do so.

1. Develop in-demand skills: As the nature of work evolves with the adoption of advanced Als, it will become increasingly important to have skills that are in high demand. This could include technical skills in areas such as data science, machine learning, and programming, as well as soft skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication.
2. Embrace lifelong learning: The pace of technological change is only going to accelerate, so it's important to be prepared to continuously learn new skills and adapt to new job roles. This will help ensure that your skills remain relevant in an ever-changing job market.
3. Create multiple streams of income: The traditional 9-to-5 job may become less common as automation and Al take over certain tasks. To increase your chances of retiring early, it's important to explore other ways to earn money, such as starting a business, investing in real estate, or creating a passive income stream.
4. Be adaptable: As the job market evolves, it's important to be open to change and willing to adapt to new opportunities. This may mean relocating, switching industries, or taking on a job that is different from what you've done in the past.
5. Start saving and investing early: Even with the uncertainty that comes with an Al-driven world, the importance of saving and investing early remains the same. The earlier you start saving, the more time your money has to grow and the more flexibility you will have to adapt to changes in the job market.
It is important to note that these are general suggestions and the actual steps you should take will depend on your personal circumstances and goals. It's always a good idea to consult with a financial advisor to create a personalized plan that takes into account your unique situation.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 10:33:16 AM by Ron Scott »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
Re: The ChatGPT AI considers the future of work and FIRE
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2023, 02:27:01 PM »
So it's a bot that scrapes the internet for tech-bro and thinktank answers? With the pre-requisite upper-middle class privilege tilt to the solutions. Cool

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 02:28:33 PM »
I don't know much about ChatGPT, but a lot of my predictions from 20 years ago seem comical today, despite the technology now being to the point I thought they'd come true:

1) I thought physical universities and colleges would be replaced by online colleges that charged a tiny fraction of the cost.
2) I thought there would be no more paper books by now.
3) I thought there would be ground-based drones, such as remote controlled full sized tanks or farm equipment.
4) I never thought Segways would become people's primary mode of transportation, as was popular to believe at the time, but I thought they'd sell better than they did. Instead the gasoline-powered redneck dunebuggy market went crazy.
5) I thought all cars would be hybrids by now, and gasoline would be $10-20/gallon.
6) I thought my coaxial cable internet service would be obsolete by now. Instead it got a lot faster.
7) I thought netbooks (8-11" screen low-power laptops) would be a bigger thing.
9) I figured the work-from-home movement would have started by about 2010, when the tech was more than sufficient to support it.
10) I thought we'd all be doing our taxes on the IRS' website, or more accurately, reviewing our already-completed forms.

For 100% of these things, the necessary tech exists, or has existed for a long time, for my predictions to come true. People's behavior, however, is what made the possible into a nothingburger. The demand was just not there for certain things.

My predictions now are that customer service and administrative jobs are in definite danger, but the rest will depend on what people decide they want. E.g. An A.I. restaurant waiter might ruin the experience and never take off. An A.I. troubleshooting tool might only be good at identifying known issues, which you might as well go and fix rather than investing in a A.I. troubleshooting tool to find them over and over again. Etc.

My other prediction is that A.I. will speed up the pace at which businesses change themselves. This is based on my observation of how my company responded to automation tools. We didn't accept the higher efficiency and rest on our laurels! Now we get a new business process for key tasks every few months, and our clients change their contracts with us at a similar frequency. The old days of making one model of thing or proving a consistent service for a year might be over, because flexible automation both lowers the cost of change and lowers the cost of quality. Now we have an entire department of people to change the algorithms for other departments. Now our contracts specify that we have to regularly change our deliverables at our clients' whims, and the expectation is we do it for free. If we refused, the work would go to someone who can accept those terms.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 03:50:45 PM »
I don’t think you can expect too much from these early bots. But investors are pouring a fortune into this stuff and after ChatGPT’s release the CEO of Google issued a “code Red” in the company, to fast-track responses to what he sees as a real challenge to the business. So you can expect AI to continue to improve and pop up all over.

Re: jobs, robots are already augmenting manufacturing in ways that only humans could do before, and even those horrible customer service bots have replaced hundreds of thousands of reps so it’s probably real.

But I think the guy who places all the Happy Meal item in the bag is safe for a few more years! We shall see.

electriceagle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2023, 02:32:11 PM »
Within the past month, Microsoft has laid off about 10,000 programmers and the AI company that it owns, Open AI, has hired cheap contractors in low-cost locations like Latin America and Eastern Europe to create a dataset that AI can use for programming. Specifically, they have been hired to label snippets of code so that the AI will "understand" them and be able to use them.

https://www.semafor.com/article/01/27/2023/openai-has-hired-an-army-of-contractors-to-make-basic-coding-obsolete

A software developer in South America who completed a five-hour unpaid coding test for OpenAI told Semafor he was asked to tackle a series of two-part assignments. First, he was given a coding problem and asked to explain in written English how he would approach it. Then, the developer was asked to provide a solution. If he found a bug, OpenAI told him to detail what the problem was and how it should be corrected, instead of simply fixing it.

“They most likely want to feed this model with a very specific kind of training data, where the human provides a step-by-step layout of their thought-process,” said the developer, who asked to remain anonymous to avoid jeopardizing future work opportunities. He has not yet been hired or rejected by OpenAI.

I expect that top-quality coders will continue to be in demand but that medium-quality programmers, who represent the vast majority of programmers, are going to have a hard time.

I'm on vacation in the Philippines right now. I'm in Manila (don't worry, just here to get out of jetlag -- we'll go someplace beachier in a moment) looking out my window at a tall building with "Accenture" on it. Most of this stuff was not here when I visited the Philippines for the first time about 10 years ago. I suspect that a large portion of the economic development in developing world capitals like Manila, Mumbai, etc. over the past 20 years has been driven by the replacement of medium-quality western professionals with medium-quality developing world professionals.

There are some top quality programmers in each of these locations, but I suspect that there is a skew relative to the western world because of differences in depth of knowledge that are themselves driven by differences in education and early technology experience. Imagine someone who has been riding some sort of bike since they were 7 years old versus someone of the same innate ability who started in college when they were 18. Who will win the Tour de France.

If AI-driven written task completion takes off, it could severely disrupt developing world economies that need professionals who are employed serving the outside world. A contraction in the knowledge worker economy that mirrors the (United States) contraction in the manufacturing economy between 1980 and 2010 would set labor-export economies back severely.

This means conflict, and a lot of it. The standard response from political leaders in trouble is to engineer fights between groups within the population. Stoking racial and religious conflict, and stirring up moral panics, are top ways that political leaders keep the public from ejecting them. Consider the various racial, gender, and anti-immigrant conflicts that have been stoked over the past 30 years as the median inflation-adjusted income in the US has either decreased or flatlined. Consider the racial and tribal conflicts that leaders in high visible-corruption countries rig up to keep the public off their backs. Imagine what happens when a nation's professionals -- who are supporting their extended families because they are nearly all the first in their families to become profesionals, and are the nation's main source of hard currency -- find themselves out of work over a much shorter time period. Could get ugly.

The second big question is what happens when the return on education becomes too small to make it advisable. Most knowledge workers (back to western countries here) spend 4-6 years in university after secondary school to learn the concepts behind a profession and expect to get 20-30 years (more for those who become leaders in their professions) of good-paying work out of it. What happens when the return on 4 years of college for the average (by definition mediocre) professional is just 10 years of work... or just 5. Sure, the superstars will still do well, but most people aren't superstars. You can't train your way out of it, as your human competition is retraining too and some of them will train the AI to do your new job.

Keep your hat on. Its going to be a wild ride.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2023, 04:28:21 PM »
But investors are pouring a fortune into this stuff...

That's because it costs a fortune to develop a state of the art neural network.    You need a team of domain experts and a team of "deep learning" experts and a huge amount of processing time...

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2023, 08:17:24 PM »
I expect that top-quality coders will continue to be in demand but that medium-quality programmers, who represent the vast majority of programmers, are going to have a hard time.

...I suspect that a large portion of the economic development in developing world capitals like Manila, Mumbai, etc. over the past 20 years has been driven by the replacement of medium-quality western professionals with medium-quality developing world professionals.
I suspect there are generational cycles where a shortage of workers in a particular job makes for high wages and great job security, but then everyone flocks to that job just as technology makes the job less important.

Decades ago, a generation of Americans worked manufacturing jobs in union plants. With world-leading wages, they were able to own houses, have kids, buy a car or two, retire early on pensions, etc. They encouraged their kids to do the same. But by the time their kids got into manufacturing, it was being off-shored, and robotic equipment was taking over the old put-the-nut-on-the-bolt work

Just a couple decades ago, a generation of Americans earned world-leading wages doing IT work like setting up company network drives, setting up networked printers, and configuring servers to run it all. They encouraged their kids to do the same. But by the time their kids got into IT, the printers were gone, the servers had all been migrated to the lower-maintenance cloud, and GUI-based tools like Wordpress, Wix, Salesforce, etc. had converted once-technical jobs to tasks end users could perform. Computers became leased items nobody bothered to fix or upgrade anymore. The few things that didn't work out of the box as SAAS could be fixed remotely by offshored consultants. People with skills like html, RAID arrays, or hardware had to quickly retrain for the remaining jobs. At some point, it seems the writing is on the wall that IT will consume itself by becoming more and more a set of packaged finished products that doesn't require an army of "IT guys" to run every company.

For a long time now, people have made world-leading wages doing knowledge work. They said "factories may have replaced workers with robots, but they will never be able to replace lawyers / doctors / engineers / artists / top-tier programmers / professors because these are jobs doing what machines will never be able to do." Well... now with every ChatGPT response I see, it seems like those knowledge jobs are becoming more and more shaky. It already seems old fashioned to think AI can't possiibly field customer service calls, identify cases with legal precedent, design a bridge, create a painting, pilot a vehicle, or diagnose an illness. If AI does for these jobs what factory robots did for manufacturing jobs, and what cloud computing did for IT jobs, then what is left? Don't say prostitution, because there are already robots for that which are cheaper, more compliant, and safer than humans.

This all means it's even more urgent to start living off our capital rather than our labor. I'd rather own a piece of the machines that take my job than fight everybody else for the ever-narrowing range of jobs the machines still can't do.

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »
That was a cool read, thanks for posting it. As someone said, the responses were not too sophisticate (yet), I'm sure it will continue to evolve.  It's going to be interesting going forward. But to be honest, I'm not too concerned with it (especially in my field) humans are great at adjusting. Though it is ramping up, AI is not new. Businesses investing in new technology is also not new (it is necessary). The general population seems to be noticing AI more, media loves the splashy headlines "AI is going to steal your jorrbs!". I guess that will depend.

Of particular interest to me is how the image making AI platforms that dropped last summer (like Midjourney) is getting to people. My thoughts on that are that since the visual and performing arts get right to the core of defining culture (and what it means to be human) AI has become a splinter in the psyche as people grapple with the questions of what it means to be human. But in the end we humans get to choose what we will tolerate, adopt, put up with etc. (until our digital overlords entirely take over haha). I think AI is going to make us better. It will encourage us to be more educated, creative, innovative, etc. and that's a good thing. I'm also interested in the copyright end of the this (there are a few big court cases about this going on right now).

History is full of great innovations. The flexible among us always survive. So I remain flexible and watch with interest. I love living in interesting times.   

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 07:21:38 AM »
For a long time now, people have made world-leading wages doing knowledge work. They said "factories may have replaced workers with robots, but they will never be able to replace lawyers / doctors / engineers / artists / top-tier programmers / professors because these are jobs doing what machines will never be able to do." Well... now with every ChatGPT response I see, it seems like those knowledge jobs are becoming more and more shaky. It already seems old fashioned to think AI can't possiibly field customer service calls, identify cases with legal precedent, design a bridge, create a painting, pilot a vehicle, or diagnose an illness. If AI does for these jobs what factory robots did for manufacturing jobs, and what cloud computing did for IT jobs, then what is left? Don't say prostitution, because there are already robots for that which are cheaper, more compliant, and safer than humans.

This all means it's even more urgent to start living off our capital rather than our labor. I'd rather own a piece of the machines that take my job than fight everybody else for the ever-narrowing range of jobs the machines still can't do.
Tech is doing a slow roll up the intellectual complexity job chain. The problem we will face is that not everyone has the cerebral capability to retrain up. There's nothing wrong with that, but rather than create useful outlets for those people to contribute to society and feel like they have self-worth, capitalism has shed them into low-wage sectors no one is bothering to automate because it isn't worth the hassle yet.

I'm always reminded of the game Civilization. Eventually a society gets large enough that some of your citizenry need to go into the arts or other not-intrinsicly-productive fields to help provide happiness to the broader community. US capitalism doesn't do that though. We just let those people struggle so unhappiness grows. It's quite apparent that we should be funneling more of our production efficiency gains into these avenues which, ironically, would make for a better overall society but it's not happening. Unless something changes it will just continue to get worse. Decay only begets more decay.

Edit: misspelling
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:28:52 AM by Mr. Green »

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2023, 08:49:37 AM »
I posed this quote to ChatGPT and asked what it would say in response.

ChatGDP:

I would say that while it's true that AI and automation can have a significant impact on the job market, it's important to consider the positive benefits they can bring as well. For example, AI can help increase efficiency and productivity, which can lead to economic growth and the creation of new jobs. Additionally, AI has the potential to improve healthcare, education, and other industries by providing people with access to new knowledge and resources.

It's also important to recognize that AI and automation will not completely replace human labor. There will always be a need for human creativity, empathy, and problem-solving skills in certain areas, and these qualities will likely become even more valuable as AI continues to advance.

Investing in one's own capital can certainly be a smart financial strategy, but it's not a guarantee for long-term financial security. A well-rounded approach that includes continued learning and education, job skills development, and investments in multiple streams of income, may be a more comprehensive and effective approach.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2023, 09:12:42 AM »
^ That’s very well written. Perhaps the only way to tell a human didn’t write it was how mainstream / average the attitude is. The machine said “don’t worry about little ole me” but the way it said it proves the point that knowledge workers should be concerned.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2023, 09:56:07 AM »
^ That’s very well written. Perhaps the only way to tell a human didn’t write it was how mainstream / average the attitude is. The machine said “don’t worry about little ole me” but the way it said it proves the point that knowledge workers should be concerned.

This program is the first salvo.

Microsoft is already installing the upgrade version into Bing and the Office Suite. By many accounts Google has as good or better AI in the wings. And hundreds of billions are being invested to continue accelerating the capabilities of this tech and imbed it into our daily lives. The scalability potential is impressive.

Thousands of corporations who don’t have the ability to develop their own AI will buy it at a market price set to encourage wide adoption. Those corps who have transitioned to the cloud will have AI plug-in contracts on their desks this year.

What most of us write to others will be AI-assisted in the future and that’s the optimistic view…vs. complete delegation with a quick proofread.

Any field that currently relies on “experts” to make decisions will be heavily affected by AI. The thing about “experts” is they disagree each other all the time, and their decisions vary widely on effectiveness and efficiency. AIs will still make mistakes but will make fewer of them, with lower cost implications, and will get dramatically better over time as it learns. Doctors, lawyers, engineers, accountants, educators, developers et al will be heavily affected.

AI-infused robots will continue to take blue color jobs. America is not having a return to industrialization now. It is “reindustrializing”, often replacing human workers with robots. The demand for industrial robots is strong and growing. They make fewer mistakes, waste is reduced, they don’t get tired or bored, and they don’t bitch. And while they’re expensive, the cost savings vs. a shop floor full of freedom-loving humans will be considerable.

Fake social media posters, print news stories, and blogs dominated the American digital experience during the past couple elections. All that will seem quaint compared to the deep fake videos coming online now. We’ll have fake speeches and comments coming out of various politicians mouths and won’t know it the guy said it or not. Expect China and Russia to be involved in lots of funny business. Peeps won’t know WHAT the fuck to believe.

Buckle up.

Reader

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2023, 12:25:10 PM »
I don't know much about ChatGPT, but a lot of my predictions from 20 years ago seem comical today, despite the technology now being to the point I thought they'd come true:

1) I thought physical universities and colleges would be replaced by online colleges that charged a tiny fraction of the cost.

For 100% of these things, the necessary tech exists, or has existed for a long time, for my predictions to come true. People's behavior, however, is what made the possible into a nothingburger. The demand was just not there for certain things.
i thought parts of it came true but in a different way
1) online graduate cert courses by ivy leagues for $2-10k, coursera. once you get a basic degree, the trend seems to be to get a cert from a brandname university to tag it to your resume.
2) being a ebook and real book reader, and the owner of many physical ebook readers (since the first sony readers from japan) and hundreds of real books, the e-ink technology really wasn't good enough until the latest kindle scribe. i prefer to read on my mac or real books than on my ebook devices as the "page flipping" is fast enough not to be an irritation. a real book also looks nice on the shelf.
7) the macbook air is the winner in this mini laptop format. netbooks were simply too slow to be useful.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 03:49:17 PM by Reader »

mistymoney

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2023, 12:34:54 PM »
I agree it's going to be a bumpy ride!

Make hay while the sun shines...and invest a few quid into AI :)

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2023, 12:53:18 PM »
My trucker friend says “last mile” delivery is very hard and unpredictable and unlikely to be quickly replaced by AI.

Obviously, all 7 billion of us would be dead of starvation by now if it weren’t for automation in agriculture. That’s going to continue to get more detailed until agriculture is 99% automated. The last piece to go is picking, I think, which is backbreaking labor but often skilled (if incredibly underpaid, modern slavery).

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 02:52:39 PM »

Especially corporate public relations staff.     Chatgpt can write politically correct nothings better than anyone!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 03:37:42 PM »
I feel like something along the lines of ChatGPT a couple generations down the road, when properly integrated with Jira and will put a lot of people in software development out of a job.  There will still be a need for dev jobs, but an awful lot of the simple code monkey stuff will be eliminated.  And not just software development - there are a lot of information and knowledge fields that will have a bunch of unemployed folks.

Makes me hope I'll be retired by then.  :P

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2023, 04:46:24 PM »
I feel like true creativity, empathy, and mastery can't be replaced by AI.

A beautiful singing voice, for example, or a brilliantly creative guitarist.

Also, can AI come up with ideas and inventions that are truly disruptive? Can AI dream?

I dunno. I feel like the Chatbot AI's are just regurgitating the internet. ChatGPT can't explain simple explanations to chemistry problems. It's good at writing a formulaic essay about some social problem that has been hashed and rehashed online, but it can't solve a simple pH problem correctly much of the time.

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2023, 07:34:38 PM »
I dunno. I feel like the Chatbot AI's are just regurgitating the internet. ChatGPT can't explain simple explanations to chemistry problems. It's good at writing a formulaic essay about some social problem that has been hashed and rehashed online, but it can't solve a simple pH problem correctly much of the time.

Umm... that's because they are, literally, just regurgitating the internet after a bit of computationally intense digestion.    Reports of the demise of software developers are an exagerration.

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2023, 08:51:41 PM »
generally favorable of AI, wished it would push autonomous vehicles further along, alot of crazy drivers out there

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2023, 09:00:02 PM »
There is way too much hype around this right now. Everyone on Youtube immediately jumped on the bandwagon for clicks when ChatGPT really hit the news, and journalism has done the same. It's been incredibly difficult to find sane, reasonable insights, and I'm only slowly starting to find them (at least, as somebody who doesn't search too hard).

From what I understand, AI doesn't have a concept of "truth," it only knows how to regurgitate what has been fed into it, using statistical models and inferences. When you consider that most of what's on the internet is false, this becomes hugely problematic, and because of political bias and the unfortunate awfulness of humans, people are having to constantly manually tune these systems so they don't say anything racist, 'out of tune', etc, meaning you will probably never be able to trust point-blank what AI says, at least for many subjects. If it starts giving you references to link to, that might help, otherwise it is basically 'automated internet' right now, which, don't get me wrong, is hugely beneficial, but has serious limitations.

As for code, well, it's hard to say what the world will look like 10 or 20 yeas from now, but if new technologies come out, it will take time before there is enough sample material to even 'train' the AI on. I don't think it's going to magically come up with new technologies - that's not really how machine learning works, if I understand it correctly. On the other hand, a lot of software systems follow very similar patterns, and I think it will become pretty easy to spin up, say, a default e-commerce system as per an existing framework, which a small crew of programmers will be able to tune and update as needed. We kind of already have this? Maybe it will become cheaper for small businesses? Skilled programmers will have to get better, less-skilled programmers will have to look elsewhere, but I don't think they will disappear, it's just that a lot of people want to say they will for the sensationalism. Besides, who's going to be liable when something goes terribly wrong? You can't just blame the AI, somebody will get sued at the end of the day, and you want a crew to make sure that person isn't you.

What's interesting to me is that there is a limit to the internet. At a certain point, where do you get new datasets? If I have any doom and gloom feelings, it's more along the line of what we have already seen, massive corporations competing for data, but going even further to gatekeep this data to power their specifically-tuned AI. Data science and collection will fuel AI, in my opinion. Maybe this is where the software jobs will shift over time?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 09:02:16 PM by thesis »

dang1

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2023, 11:37:21 PM »
From what I understand, AI doesn't have a concept of "truth," it only knows how to regurgitate what has been fed into it, using statistical models and inferences. When you consider that most of what's on the internet is false, this becomes hugely problematic, and because of political bias and the unfortunate awfulness of humans, people are having to constantly manually tune these systems so they don't say anything racist, 'out of tune', etc, meaning you will probably never be able to trust point-blank what AI says, at least for many subjects...
garbage in , garbage out

JupiterGreen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2023, 06:33:39 AM »
From what I understand, AI doesn't have a concept of "truth," it only knows how to regurgitate what has been fed into it, using statistical models and inferences. When you consider that most of what's on the internet is false, this becomes hugely problematic, and because of political bias and the unfortunate awfulness of humans, people are having to constantly manually tune these systems so they don't say anything racist, 'out of tune', etc, meaning you will probably never be able to trust point-blank what AI says, at least for many subjects...
garbage in , garbage out

Ha, I love this. My english teacher had this quote on their classroom wall.

@thesis  and @Zamboni I feel similar to the two of you, and it does seem like our thoughts/stance on the topic are in the minority (not just here). If AI can do what some of us do (and as well as we can do it), then we have bigger problem (because it has become sentient). As I mentioned, I feel positive about the changes. Yes it will stink for people who do mindless jobs (maybe we will need to revisit the universal basic income idea and use some innovation to solve this problem). I hope we do support all humans regardless of abilities and also we turn back to supporting the arts and value human creativity in all its forms (the US paltry support for the arts are at the point of crumbling empire levels). Leaving the menial tasks to AI is the dream, isn't it? Of course if we continue to let corporations drive our future putting profit over people then the prospects are depressing. But we the people have some say in our collective future.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2023, 07:10:57 AM »
As for code, well, it's hard to say what the world will look like 10 or 20 yeas from now, but if new technologies come out, it will take time before there is enough sample material to even 'train' the AI on.

You are forgetting the online repository of all programming knowledge that humanity has already created . . . stack overflow.  There is more than enough sample material to train an AI right now.  Hell, half the programmers I know wouldn't be able to do their job if it went down for a couple weeks.  :P

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2023, 07:47:50 AM »
Next level self-awareness is when we realize that we are just regurgitating the internet too.

We are merely nodes of Skynet, made of meat.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 08:32:39 AM »
garbage in , garbage out

Sure, it can only create output based on the sources it’s been trained on. If an AI is set free to learn everything on the internet without guidance, it’ll reflect the truths and false information put there by us—the same stuff we all get now on social media, bulletin boards like this one, Google, etc. No better, no worse.

But for most use cases that’s not the issue. An AI trained by a corporation to understand its products in great detail will be able to replace most human customer service representatives. AI’s trained on contract development, medical diagnoses, tax planning, etc. will be able to assist or replace many lawyers, medical professionals, and accountants. And so on…

The implications for AI, as it is incorporated in existing technologies and robotics, is likely to be profound. Humans will determine its uses: Cross your fingers.

thesis

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2023, 08:58:35 AM »
As for code, well, it's hard to say what the world will look like 10 or 20 yeas from now, but if new technologies come out, it will take time before there is enough sample material to even 'train' the AI on.

You are forgetting the online repository of all programming knowledge that humanity has already created . . . stack overflow.  There is more than enough sample material to train an AI right now.  Hell, half the programmers I know wouldn't be able to do their job if it went down for a couple weeks.  :P

I agree, but I meant new technologies. So if somebody creates a new framework, people will have to actually post on stackoverflow about that framework before there will be any data for AI to train on. As AI improves, it may get faster at doing this, but it will still take some time, and it will still take people adding the content.

Although, that raises an interesting question: if these AI bots simply scrape the internet, rather than direct people to webpages, will be people stop posting on those webpages? Like, if devs are getting more answers from ChatGPT, will the traffic to Stackoverflow decrease? If the traffic to Stackoverflow decreases, will the feedback mechanisms that indicate good answers from bad answers break down? Will that feed back into the AI? I'd be interested to see how that plays out across many different sites, since it doesn't appear that links are yet part of these AI bots, just content.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2023, 09:00:55 AM »

I agree, but I meant new technologies. So if somebody creates a new framework, people will have to actually post on stackoverflow about that framework before there will be any data for AI to train on. As AI improves, it may get faster at doing this, but it will still take some time, and it will still take people adding the content.

Although, that raises an interesting question: if these AI bots simply scrape the internet, rather than direct people to webpages, will be people stop posting on those webpages? Like, if devs are getting more answers from ChatGPT, will the traffic to Stackoverflow decrease? If the traffic to Stackoverflow decreases, will the feedback mechanisms that indicate good answers from bad answers break down? Will that feed back into the AI? I'd be interested to see how that plays out across many different sites, since it doesn't appear that links are yet part of these AI bots, just content.

Yep, that's a concern.  The snake only eats it's own tail, there's no generation of anything new.  If people are all getting their answers from AI, then there will be nothing to train AI on that isn't currently in existence.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2023, 01:05:59 PM »

Yep, that's a concern.  The snake only eats it's own tail, there's no generation of anything new.  If people are all getting their answers from AI, then there will be nothing to train AI on that isn't currently in existence.

...and as AI accounts for more and more web traffic and more and more web content, the percentage of web content that was created by humans will decrease over time.

Implications:

-The old model of supporting human content creation with human ad views will break down, as most content is AI-created and most ad views are bots. Will the AI's advertise to themselves? Yes actually. See the next point...

-As we come to trust AI's more and more, the financial focus of the internet will shift to attempting to manipulate the results output by AI. This will be an advanced version of Google's adwords. E.g. An AI will be tasked with writing and posting millions of unique articles and videos about how car brand X is the most reliable, in an attempt to influence other AI's to say brand X appears to be reliable. Activists will hire AI's to mass-produced content about their cause, their religion, or their conspiracy theory.

-As the internet evolves into a system that is mostly about AI's talking to other AI's, its connection to real-world humans will have to change. E.g.1. if human influencers can no longer compete with the output of AI influencers, and AI influencers are indistinguishable from human influencers, then the human influencers will have to find a new line of work - just like the original human "computers". E.g.2. if identity-thieving extortion AI's can create a larger online presence for a person than the person themselves could create, then it no longer makes sense to judge a person based on their online presence. E.g.3. if humans want to impress other humans in this new world, they'll need to first impress the AI's who evaluate them. It'll become normal to ask the AI if the person you're thinking about dating has any red flags.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2023, 01:13:20 PM »
- As all real content is drowned out by copied AI stuff, the end of the information age is heralded

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2023, 06:06:45 PM »
That sounds like an improvement over much of the social networking we have today.    We can go back to socializing on "AI free" forums - like this one - and give up on the huge platforms driven by advertising revenue.   Still I'd miss some of the really excellent tutorials on youtube...

Next level self-awareness is when we realize that we are just regurgitating the internet too.

We are merely nodes of Skynet, made of meat.

Speak for yourself, McDuck.   :P

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2023, 03:11:25 PM »
- As all real content is drowned out by copied AI stuff, the end of the information age is heralded

Then some smart person comes up with a "watermark" or logo that indicates a website is by humans for humans. Sort of a website "Good Housekeeping" or "UL-approved" mark.

AI or not I'm not going to stop using the internet for information about my hobbies.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2023, 08:06:57 AM »
My trucker friend says “last mile” delivery is very hard and unpredictable and unlikely to be quickly replaced by AI.

Obviously, all 7 billion of us would be dead of starvation by now if it weren’t for automation in agriculture. That’s going to continue to get more detailed until agriculture is 99% automated. The last piece to go is picking, I think, which is backbreaking labor but often skilled (if incredibly underpaid, modern slavery).

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=quantum+hd+farming

I can't lead you an exact video but I saw one the other night. That channel showcases many new technologies by compiling other people's videos.

Picking robots do exist and they will only get better. Still uncertain how a portion of humanity will earn a living once everything is automated. Automation + capitalism = ???

Edit: Found a couple of examples - https://youtu.be/97JZMrnRnYM?t=139

Some of them look like concepts rather than mature tech. They may be slow but if they can work around the clock lightly supervised, it might be fine.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 08:34:50 AM by Just Joe »

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2023, 08:46:45 AM »

Then some smart person comes up with a "watermark" or logo that indicates a website is by humans for humans. Sort of a website "Good Housekeeping" or "UL-approved" mark.

AI or not I'm not going to stop using the internet for information about my hobbies.
What type of information could be placed on a website that could be deciphered by humans but not deciphered by AI?

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2023, 12:48:17 PM »

What type of information could be placed on a website that could be deciphered by humans but not deciphered by AI?

Good point. No idea.

SeanTash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2023, 08:09:41 PM »

Haha, so true!
Those of you doubting it's usefulness should give it a try.
I work with an offshore team of developers part time.  One who works with me was struggling with a problem for days recently. It seemed like something that he should have completed easily enough.
I decided to see if I could get anything using chatgpt. Once I explained the issue, and elaborated a little to get a more specific answer, It basically wrote all the code for in a few seconds and it worked perfectly.
I feel that low to mid level devs who rely on stackoverflow are going to struggle to find work in the not too distant future.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2023, 05:38:24 AM »

Haha, so true!
I work with an offshore team of developers part time.  One who works with me was struggling with a problem for days recently. It seemed like something that he should have completed easily enough.
I decided to see if I could get anything using chatgpt. Once I explained the issue, and elaborated a little to get a more specific answer, It basically wrote all the code for in a few seconds and it worked perfectly.
I feel that low to mid level devs who rely on stackoverflow are going to struggle to find work in the not too distant future.

I’m not a developer, but I’ve seen both Chat and Bard make so many mistakes in general logic, I am surprised it can write code. But I know it can, everybody’s talking about it.

Do you think these AI‘s are going to specialize in jobs like rewrites and maintenance work or is this a “it depends“ proposition?

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2023, 11:20:13 AM »

Haha, so true!

I’m not a developer, but I’ve seen both Chat and Bard make so many mistakes in general logic, I am surprised it can write code. But I know it can, everybody’s talking about it.

Do you think these AI‘s are going to specialize in jobs like rewrites and maintenance work or is this a “it depends“ proposition?

Somebody has to correct the errors in the ChatGPT output.   Then the code needs to be unit tested and integrated.     And ChatGPT only works for mainstream stuff with lots of examples, although mainstream code is probably 95%+ of all the code written today.   It's definitely going to put pressure on developers with lower end skill sets.

In terms of rewrites - you should only be rewriting something if its badly broken.   To be successful, you need to understand why it's broken.   "AI"'s don't understand things so this sounds like a poor choice.

For most bugs, most of the work  is testing the fix.    Some bugs are difficult, and isolating and understanding the bug is the hard part.   AI's like chatGPT don't have the ability to do either of these things.

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2023, 11:28:34 PM »
For coding it's a little like self-driving cars. It will do something that works, but it will be a long time before we can really trust it. What I see is that for the next few years it needs a lot of hand holding, which is actually good for the medium programmers. I can see teams of a product manager driving the specs, and a few low/mid level engineers running the AI's. I think the star engineers are actually more in danger of their skills being commoditized as a medium engineer can just make everything with an AI's help. So I see developing world jobs as more safe than jobs in high pay locations.

Here is a nice article about how the evolution of AI coding could go.
https://levelup.gitconnected.com/chatgpt-will-replace-programmers-within-10-years-91e5b3bd3676

Another thing that will start to become an issue more and more in the coming decades is the low birth rate in the developed countries. In South-Korea it's about 1! AI will be a godsend as the lack of workers to do any job be a huge issue. Our kids will have their choice of jobs, and if AI keeps the economy running those might be well paid jobs at that. But instead of office jobs, it will be hands on work. Like nurses to care for the huge elderly population or plumbers, mechanics, electricians and construction workers to keep all the infrastructure up and service the machines that do the work.

Addition: ChatGTP now has a working python compiler and can run scripts it has written. So it can make a script that gathers and cleans data. RIP Data processing jobs.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 11:36:26 PM by 2Cent »

NorthernIkigai

• Bristles
  • Connoisseur of Leisure
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2023, 12:28:53 AM »

3) I thought there would be ground-based drones, such as remote controlled full sized tanks or farm equipment.
4) I never thought Segways would become people's primary mode of transportation, as was popular to believe at the time, but I thought they'd sell better than they did. Instead the gasoline-powered redneck dunebuggy market went crazy.
5) I thought all cars would be hybrids by now, and gasoline would be $10-20/gallon.
6) I thought my coaxial cable internet service would be obsolete by now. Instead it got a lot faster.
9) I figured the work-from-home movement would have started by about 2010, when the tech was more than sufficient to support it.
10) I thought we'd all be doing our taxes on the IRS' website, or more accurately, reviewing our already-completed forms.

I found this funny, because I don’t think you were that wrong!

1) Well, MOOCs have been revolutionary, and online teaching in general was a big thing even before the pandemic. Not to the point of replacing physical universities, but certainly as an alternative and a challenger.

2) In my country, senior high school books are only published in electronic form nowadays. This probably has more to do with the greed of the publishers, since students now can’t sell their old books, but still. Also, a lot of people seem to listen to audiobooks nowadays, so it’s not just the paper vs screen.

3) I dunno about the size, but I thought drones are a huge thing in farming now.

4) Segways never made it big, but the (IMO stupid) electric step scooters are freaking everywhere (at least in Europe). Well, except for in Paris where they were banned.

5) Getting there in Europe. Well, mostly jumping straight to electric cars: In the EU, selling gasoline and diesel cars will be banned as of 2035, in the UK as of 2030 (but here hybrids will still be allowed to be sold until 2035).

6) Mobile internet is quite sufficient as the only internet connection here (for phones and laptops at least, dunno about gaming, tv streaming etc.).

7) True, netbooks had their moment but I don’t know what happened there.

8) This point seems to have disappeared:-p

9) Lots of office workers here worked from home even before the pandemic, although not all employers liked it. Now they can’t really argue that it wouldn’t work… My DH goes into the office maybe twice per year.

10) Yup, that’s exactly how I’m doing my taxes! For several years now, but the online forms just get more and more sophisticated and the time and effort gets less and less.

So it seems you predicted what would happen in Northern Europe, and were pretty accurate! :-)

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2023, 05:44:05 AM »
ChatGpt is only as smart as the info it scrapes from the internet.

In other words, not very smart.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/over-just-few-months-chatgpt-232905189.html

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2023, 03:40:06 PM »
For coding it's a little like self-driving cars. It will do something that works, but it will be a long time before we can really trust it. What I see is that for the next few years it needs a lot of hand holding, which is actually good for the medium programmers. I can see teams of a product manager driving the specs, and a few low/mid level engineers running the AI's. I think the star engineers are actually more in danger of their skills being commoditized as a medium engineer can just make everything with an AI's help. So I see developing world jobs as more safe than jobs in high pay locations.

https://levelup.gitconnected.com/chatgpt-will-replace-programmers-within-10-years-91e5b3bd3676

Another thing that will start to become an issue more and more in the coming decades is the low birth rate in the developed countries. In South-Korea it's about 1! AI will be a godsend as the lack of workers to do any job be a huge issue. Our kids will have their choice of jobs, and if AI keeps the economy running those might be well paid jobs at that. But instead of office jobs, it will be hands on work. Like nurses to care for the huge elderly population or plumbers, mechanics, electricians and construction workers to keep all the infrastructure up and service the machines that do the work.

Addition: ChatGTP now has a working python compiler and can run scripts it has written. So it can make a script that gathers and cleans data. RIP Data processing jobs.

Interesting analysis.   I think there's alot of truth in your low birth rate scenario.   Are you also a software developer?

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2023, 06:23:37 AM »
ChatGpt is only as smart as the info it scrapes from the internet.

In other words, not very smart.

I believe the term artificial “intelligence” is unfortunate, as it places an unnecessary focus on such a loaded term. It might be better to think of it as a coming technology that could be useful.

Consider the following prompt by me and response by Google’s Bard AI. Bard does not develop its response by picking a few timely articles on the subject. It attempts to summarize a vast trove of information, billions of data points, it has been trained on.

I do not claim the response is “smart“. I do believe the technology has the potential to be very useful.

ME: Compare and contrast the “white backlash” circa 1966, following the passage of the Voting Right Bill of 1965 to the same phenomena following the election for 2 terms of the first black President, Barack Obama.

BARD:  Sure, here is a comparison of the white backlashes of 1966 and 2008:

Cause: Passage of the Voting Rights Act of 1965, which ended legal discrimination in voting and led to an increase in black voter registration and turnout.
Manifestations: Increased support for conservative politicians and policies, such as the rise of George Wallace and the passage of Proposition 14 in California, which repealed affirmative action in housing.
Impact: The white backlash of 1966 helped to slow the progress of the civil rights movement and led to a period of political and social conservatism in the United States.

Cause: Election of Barack Obama, the first black president of the United States.
Manifestations: Increased racial resentment, hostility towards affirmative action, and support for Donald Trump, who ran on a platform of white nationalism.
Impact: The white backlash of 2008 has contributed to the rise of white nationalism and the polarization of American politics.
There are some similarities between the two white backlashes. Both were motivated by a fear of losing white privilege and power. Both were accompanied by an increase in racial resentment and hostility towards affirmative action. And both had a negative impact on the progress of racial equality in the United States.

However, there are also some important differences between the two backlashes. The white backlash of 1966 was more widespread and intense than the backlash of 2008. It also had a more direct impact on the political landscape, leading to the election of conservative politicians like George Wallace and the passage of laws that rolled back civil rights gains.

The backlash of 2008, on the other hand, has been more diffuse and less organized. It has also been more focused on cultural issues, such as opposition to same-sex marriage and immigration. However, it has still had a significant impact on American politics, contributing to the rise of Donald Trump and the polarization of the country.

It is important to note that not all white people were opposed to the progress of the civil rights movement in 1966 or the election of Barack Obama in 2008. However, the white backlashes of these two years demonstrate that there is a significant minority of white Americans who are resistant to change and who are willing to support policies that harm minority groups.

——

Quick update: Read an interesting article in the Times about physicians using ChatGPT in their practices and for patient education and communications. It is not perfect, but it seems to have real potential. Smart?

“Dr. Rodman and other doctors at Beth Israel Deaconess have asked GPT-4 for possible diagnoses in difficult cases. In a study released last month in the medical journal JAMA, they found that it did better than most doctors on weekly diagnostic challenges published in the New England Journal of Medicine.”

I asked Bard about this study:

BARD: The study you are referring to was published in JAMA Internal Medicine in April 2023. It was titled "Artificial Intelligence Outperforms Internists in Identifying Serious Illnesses from Clinical Notes."

The study looked at the performance of an AI system called CLINICS on a series of weekly diagnostic challenges published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM). These challenges present doctors with brief clinical descriptions of patients and ask them to identify the most likely diagnosis.

The AI system outperformed internists on the NEJM challenges, correctly identifying the most likely diagnosis in 81% of cases compared to 71% for internists. The AI system was also more accurate than internists at identifying serious illnesses, correctly identifying them in 92% of cases compared to 81% for internists.

The study's authors concluded that "CLINICS is a promising tool for improving the accuracy of diagnostic decision-making in primary care." They noted that the AI system is still under development, but that it has the potential to "significantly improve the quality of care provided to patients."

Here are some additional details about the study:

The AI system was trained on a dataset of over 1 million clinical notes.
The study included 1,000 internists who were randomly assigned to either the AI system or a control group.

The study was conducted over a period of 6 months.

The study's findings are significant because they suggest that AI systems have the potential to improve the accuracy of diagnostic decision-making in primary care. This could lead to better outcomes for patients, as well as cost savings for the healthcare system.

It is important to note that the study was conducted in a single setting, and it is not yet clear how the AI system would perform in other settings. However, the study's findings are promising, and they suggest that AI systems have the potential to revolutionize the way that medicine is practiced.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 07:51:28 AM by Ron Scott »

scottish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2023, 07:39:03 PM »
I do not claim the response is “smart“. I do believe the technology has the potential to be very useful.

Well said.

stealthwealth

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2023, 10:13:10 PM »
No idea how equally AIs are created, but I was trying to give Google bard a task, and IMO it did not succeed.  If this is indicative of how well an AI can follow creative prompts, we're still a ways off from AIs being a threat...

The prompt (from a weird half awake dream the other night): 
Write a song about a robotic raccoon.  The raccoon is aggravating.  Your lyrics will describe the many ways the raccoon is aggravating,  including the way it pees on rugs and beds.  Your lyrics will describe six additional ways the raccoon aggravates you or ruins your property.  Your lyrics will not express acceptance or love toward the raccoon, only increasing hatred.  The raccoon talks like someone with tourettes syndrome, and some direct quotes should be in the lyrics.  Most importantly, do not forget this is a robotic raccoon, not a real raccoon.  When the robot learns its owner plans to deactivate it, the raccoon builds a time machine so it can terminate the owner before they decide to deactivate it.  It also tries to get its owner to become sexually attracted to it. 

The results:
(Verse 1)
I got a robotic raccoon,
And it's the most aggravating thing.
It pees on my rugs and beds,
And it talks like someone with tourettes.

(Chorus)
Raccoon, raccoon, why are you so annoying?
You're driving me crazy, I'm about to go insane.
You pee on my rugs, you talk like a freak,
I wish I never got you, I wish you were a brick.

(Verse 2)
The raccoon also likes to break things,
It's always knocking over my glasses and vases.
It's chewed up my furniture,
And it's even scratched my car.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
I'm starting to think that this raccoon is possessed,
It's like it's from another dimension.
It's not even a real animal,
It's just a machine that's gone haywire.

(Chorus)

(Verse 3)
I'm so sick of this raccoon,
I don't know what to do.
I've tried everything to get rid of it,
But it always comes back.

(Chorus)

(Bridge)
I'm starting to think that the only way to get rid of this raccoon is to destroy it.
But I don't know how to do that,
And I don't know if I could do it.

(Chorus)

(Outro)
I'm so desperate, I don't know what to do.
I'm starting to think that I'm going to have to live with this raccoon for the rest of my life.
And that thought makes me want to scream.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2023, 10:18:01 PM by stealthwealth »

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2023, 12:21:14 AM »

Interesting analysis.   I think there's alot of truth in your low birth rate scenario.   Are you also a software developer?
Yes, so I'm keenly following the developments of AI in coding.

Ron Scott

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2023, 04:50:23 AM »

Yes, so I'm keenly following the developments of AI in coding.

I am an ex-corporate group-president type and I follow AI development from that set of biases.

Large language models are exciting and seemingly well-funded. (What surprises me the most is that major tech products providers, Apple for example, are still sending troubleshooting inquiries to user “community forums” rather than having an AI walk us through it. So 1999.)

But I am even more excited about problem specific AIs like AlphaGo, AlphaFold, car drivers, autonomous fighter aircraft, etc. These AI‘s seem designed less to mimic human intelligence, than to surpass human performance in a specific domain on a massive scale. I would LOVE to own an AI that was the leading world-class expert in a complex field that human experts used to disagree in.

My working days are behind me but I believe I’d be ready for AI. Ready to move on from the existing humdrum of typical jobs and work routines to a new place with less predictability and more demand for creativity.

Coders who just want to code all day may face AI as competition. Those who can redeploy their unique skill sets and modes of thinking will be in high demand in the new world IMO. If you can think in a logical way about problems with many tentacles you may be worth your weight in gold.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!