Author Topic: the blame game  (Read 3317 times)

rtrnow

• Bristles
the blame game
« on: January 25, 2013, 06:46:15 AM »
I started reading this article and thought, "Finally someone calling out the personal finance gurus." Unfortunately, then I read it and realized it's just more blaming everyone/thing but yourself.

http://features.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2013/01/25/helaine-olen-pound-foolish/?iid=SF_PF_LN

DocCyane

• Bristles
  • Keep going. You're doing just fine.
Re: the blame game
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 07:05:28 AM »
As much as people rage against it, every individual needs to learn the basics of money management and be responsible for their own financial well being.

We here are blessed that we have the intelligence and interest to address this part of our lives. I feel badly for those who are less skilled. That's why we should always try to lend a hand.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:19:07 AM »
"but every perspective move I consider"  Jesus H. 

"Or worse, I'll be easy prey for the get-rich-quick schemes hawked to retirees whose nest eggs have fallen short."  Somebody call the metaphor police.

TwoWheels

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 05:40:05 PM »
More important was the fact that Americans didn't have a latte problem -- at least not a big one. They had an everything-else-they-couldn't-control problem. Olen shows that housing, healthcare, and education cost the average family 75% of their discretionary income in the 2000s. Just three decades earlier, the figure was 50%. In other words, the average family spent 50% more in the last decade to go about their same daily business.

Oh waah, waaaah, poor Americans have no control over where their money goes! It's always someone else's fault, isn't it? Yes, healthcare and education are expensive, but why not focus on what you can control instead of whining?

I love the point about a $5-a-day savings amounting to "only" $173k. THAT'S A LOT OF FUCKING MONEY! And the average American can certainly cut much more than that out of their spending.

That said, I completely agree with DocCyane - as people blessed with the means and desire to take control of our finances, we owe it to others to share what we've learned...if they're willing to hear it.

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
This author can't see the forest from the trees.  Got too caught up on the Starbucks thing.  There's other fucking areas most people can cut from their budget: eating out, pay TV, or anything else listed on the MMM site!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!